Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Carvin' out a niche...

Game Master Stiehl9s


1 to 50 of 395 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>

to call your own. Let the game begin...

Lathar:
Your master had advised you seek out solitude in the wilds and that the best way to find yourself was to first lose yourself. You came from the south and are not so quickly approaching the town of Brinewall for this is where the rumors lead and the four winds appropriately blew you. It was a modest sized town with what appeared to be law and order well in place. Although the truth could be hard to see with the spring rains falling in a down pour. It had rained for the past week and the typically well maintained streets were a mud churned mess. You're soaked through and despite the weather you can still see townfolks hurrying about their errands and several shops and taverns are open for business.

Notable places - Magistrates Office, Grommunns General Goods, Nythos Bakery, Blacksmith, Catonic Cantina

Modoc:

You'd seen and done most everything there was. The things you hadn't held no mystery any longer. You've boucned from town to city to village and never seemed to fit in. You worked any number of jobs for the coin to survive and stolen or went without when necessity called for it. You came from the west and find yourself approaching the town of Brinewall for this is where the rumors lead and wind blew you. It was a modest sized town with what appeared to be law and order well in place. Although the truth could be hard to see with the spring rains falling in a down pour. It had rained for the past week and the typically well maintained streets were a mud churned mess. Despite the weather you can still see townfolks hurrying about their errands and several shops and taverns are open for business.

Notable places - Magistrates Office, Grommunns General Goods, Nythos Bakery, Blacksmith, Catonic Cantina


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

...


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

DMBG:
The past few days on the road to Brinewall had been harsh...with his clothes still damp, Modoc rode into the township limits, popping up and down on his mules pack saddle with no obvious control of the beast.

Ride Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14 Not required, but just for flavor...

Reigning it in just in front of the Magistrates Office. Dismounting, Modoc hitched the mule to the post outside the building and paused to look at the sign.

After a few moments he gazed back down at the mule for a few moments then took in the scene here on the main drag.

Perception Roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15


Modoc:

Your trusty mule was soaked and tired of pulling the travois through the thick mud. It still headed your commands but did so at its leisure.

There was a line of people waiting outside of the magistrate's office. Many of whom looked absolutely miserable and while you're hitching your mule one couple leaves with an defeated look on their faces.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

DMBG:
Seeing that the mule was exhausted, Modoc unhitched the travois and lashed it to the post as well.

Reaching under the canvas cover he extracted a feed bag and a winter blanket. First strapping the feed bag on the beast then removing the pack saddle and lashing it to the travois. Modoc began massaging the animals quarters and inspected the beasts shoes before placing the blanket over the animal and tying it at the waist.

reaching back under the canvas of the litter, Modoc pulled free a cloth wrapped sack, which he nestled in the crook of his arm against his belly and reached back under to pull free a stoppered clay mug...

Squatting his rear end down on the end planks of the buildings wooden walk, (assuming the town to have a wooden kind of boardwalk like in the old west movies)he unravels the cloth bundle to reveal a crust of hard tack, some dried meat & a hunk of cheese, which he slowly ate...looking as though he were forcing it down.

Continue to observe the town for a while. I have nothing but time. Modoc does not live, per se, as exist.

1d1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Actually I will take 10 or 20 on that perception roll...which ever you will allow for...came as an after thought.


Modoc:

Your mule is satisfied under a warm, dry blanket, hoofs free of mud and eating contendedly.

As you sit on the wooden walk eating you can still feel the rain falling down quite heavily but it might as well be the rays of the sun for all the effect it has on your temperament. You dont notice anything out of the ordinary. People are still hurrying about their errands with hoods drawn and hats pulled tight. Some more people have joined the line behind you but an almost equal number have given up and left. From time to time an individual will come out of the office with a smile on their face and a mapcase held tightly before moving off.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Lathar plodded slowly down the road approaching Brinewall. He looked up at the clouds and enjoyed natures cleansing rain. Strange that his journey had led him here. His teacher had told him that in order to truly master the four winds, one must do battle with nature itself. At the moment his weary legs and wet body were getting the better of him and he was ready for a break. This town seemed quiet enough as he plodded down the main street he looked for a place to drop his pack and get something other than trail rations for dinner. perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Lathar leaned heavily on his walking staff. His bald tattoed head wet from the rain he stepped underneath an overhang for a second to check that his money pouch was tightly cinched and on the front of his waist. He paused to take in the sounds of the town as well for sometimes nature spoke too you rather than showed you what it wanted. perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


@ Lathar - With a hot meal being prevalent in your thoughts; the first thing you notice is the Cantina. As you pause underneath one of the few visible overhangs; sharing it with lady fussing over the mud on her dress, you also see a line of people standing and an older human sitting in front of the magistrate's office. Which is of course where that sailor from Riddleport told you heard they were giving out the land rights from.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Lathar pauses for a moment to speak with the woman.

Maam, if the mud on your dress disturbs you so much then you should just remove the dress and be on your way. Next time wear trousers on a muddy and rainy day.

With a kind smile too the woman and content in the feeling he had imparted a wise solution to a simple problem Lathar headed for the cantina. As he neared it he heard fresh sounds of revelry and maybe a hint of food being cooked as well. He stepped into the building and set his pack down at an unoccupied table. Removing his cloak and draping it on the chair he made a quick scan of the area before seating himself. perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


The lady snorts in disgust at such a rude; even if practical, comment and with a barely audible - Well I never...stalks off into the rain.

As you enter the Cantina you can definitely smell food being cooked but there is certainly no revelry going on. The mood is sullen and there are a at least a few empty tables. No one stands out and no one looks your way as you take a seat. A plain looking woman in a clean apron immediatley comes over to take your order.

Whatcha be havin'?


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

DMBG:
After finishing his meal, Modoc only grumbled in protest. Using the cloth to wipe his face and hands then blowing his nose into it. Balling the cloth up and stuffing it under the planks of the walk.

After watching a number of gentleman exit the building with a map case...he figure it had the land deed he was looking for...and knowing the way politicians are... he knew he could very well stand in line all day, just to find out what kind of song and dance he would have to go through or money (which he didn't have) he would have pay to get his wrinkled hands on one.

So he figured he would do what he knew best...

Getting up non-chalantly he made his way over to the side if the building while untying his trousers, while hacking & spitting...as if to relieve himself in the alley...

Stealth Roll: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24 Modoc takes off at a trot to skirt his way around the outside of the main drag behind the buildings and shadow one of the deed carrying dilettantes.


Dm Roll - 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Modoc:

In this weather not even the occasional, wary guard would see you. You come to the corner where you last saw the Ulfen man go around. Peering around you see the man hugging what you can only presume to be his wife as two smaller children hug them both.

Perception DC 15 Modoc only:

You can hear the family rejoicing that they got a homestead despite their tardiness in getting to Brinewall and how they were looking forward to starting their new life.

Perception 20 Modoc only:

You spot the telltale bulges of twin maces swinging from the man's hips and a long knife tucked in his wife's belt.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

DMBG:
Perception Roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Taking in all that he sees...it doesn't take Modoc long to hang his head in shame and walk back to his mule. Modoc was a lot of things but he wasn't about to knock over some family man. Also the Ulfen brute was carrying double maces...and Modoc learned long ago that when someone carries two weapons, not only do they know how to use it...but they know how to use two!!! He hadn't survived this long taking lumps along the way. No, Modoc would wait for a better opportunity to present itself....


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

With a slight nod and a smile,
Miss I'll have some hot yardbird soup and a hunk of bread.
.....and a tall glass of something sweet to drink.

Before she leaves he asks By the way miss, I heard that land was available to be settled in this area. Is that what that line at the magistrates office is? Some kind of paperwork need to be done to do that I suppose?


Modoc:

Morals can be hard to live with but an intact skull is vital. With caution outweighing greed you make your way back to your mule and the front of the magistrate's office. The line has diminished and it was but a few moments after your return that a tall man a bit younger than yourself comes out and announces.

The office is closed for the day. There are only so many tracts left so it will be first come, first served in the morning. Pray get out of this damned awful weather and good luck to you all on the morrow.

With that he shuts the door and theres an audible lock from the door. A few of the line dwellers mutter or curse. Some low and some quite loudly. They all wander off in separate directions with a couple headed towards the Cantina.

Lathar:

Like she was reciting a school room lesson the girl answers you.

There's stew, not soup. With lamb. not chicken. And wine be the sweetest thing there is to drink.

She glances quickly out the window and continues her reply although at first it seems as if she is talking to herself.

Its a wonder if there still be a line in this rain. But people are desperate for a new start...but yes sir, the line be for the homesteads up for grabs. You most certainly must meet with the magistrate's steward afore you're given leave of one. it wouldnt pay to dally none either. People from all over have been coming through and last tell there weren't many tracts left for the takin'.

She waits jsut a half second before heading towards a swinging door to the kitchen to fetch your request.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

And with that announcement Modoc sighed, walked over to the hitching post, rigged the litter back on the mule and walked the beast over towards the livery. He stood for a few minutes gazing at the building...in the rain...mumbling to himself...before walking in through the carriage house to find the farrier...


@ Modoc - a tall, lanky kid with toussled hair jumps down from the hayloft when you enter.

It'll be one silver for the night with oats and six coppers for the night with hay.

He'll help or do all of the unrigging per your request and lead the mule to a stall.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Upon seeing the young man leap down from the hay loft...Modoc drifted breifly back to his memories as a boy of that age...hustling & grifting on the streets...

'M not in the ways o' fancy livin' there younger...supposin' I stay wit' da mule dare in da box stall where it be dry. I could give ya's a hand around here fer a day er two...just 's long as'n I can be in line fer one o' dem land deeds early in da morn'...

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Lathar digs in heartily and enjoys the meal when she returns. He downs the wine quickly and leaves some coppers for the food and give two coppers to the woman thanking her for her hospitality.

Hefting his pack and donning his cloak he steps outside. He leaves his cowl off his bald head to feel natures rain once more. looking around perception1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 he heads to the magistrates office to take his position in line. When he finds the end he stands and waits. Leaning heavily on his quarterstaff he begins going over in his mind one of the myriad calming excercises he was taught to help pass the time.

speaking out loud but to no one in particular
What a wonderful place to begin learning.


@ Modoc - You detect no guile in the boy and can easily tell that he's dealt with this situation before.

Suit yourself. You can stay with the mule for a days work. Boss man Hergen is pretty easy going about that and I could use the help. Once yer mule is taken care of you muck these other stalls.

He helps you finish up with the mule and then shows you where the wheel barrow, pitch fork and dump pile is.

@ Lathar - The other people in line dont respond to your strange ideas of what 'learning' is. Most seem down right miserable in the weather but determined to wait it out. This doesnt last long as some of them quietly leave with defeat plain on their faces. You're not in line more than a bell's time before tall man a bit younger than yourself comes out and announces.

The office is closed for the day. There are only so many tracts left so it will be first come, first served in the morning. Pray get out of this damned awful weather and good luck to you all on the morrow.

With that he shuts the door and theres an audible lock from the other side. A few of the line dwellers mutter or curse. Some low and some quite loudly. They all wander off in separate directions with a couple headed towards the Cantina and one older fellow towards the carriage house across the street.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Modoc followed the boy to the box stall where they were to stay, unhitched the travois in the opposite side and tended to the mule himself. Making sure the beast was cleaned, brushed, grabbed a hoof pick and cleaned the shoes and placed the blanket & feed bag back on him.

Modoc then set to work cleaning the stalls as directed.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Well this makes the line much shorter.

Lathar gathers his pack up and takes the first spot in line by the door. He sets his pack down and begins to meditate and wait till the door is opened. If people were truly waiting for this land so anxiously then no-one would have left.


@ Modoc - While you were working diligently a bear of a man who could only be Boss Hergen came in and watched you work for a bit before speaking to you.

Name's Hergen. Lad says yur after one of them thar land deeds? Better be up thar dark and early then. Finish up what yur doin en feed all the beasts en yous can have supper en a night in the loft. Lad will show wheres. Good luck to yous.

@ Lathar - you settle into the lotus position and focus inward; detaching the body's awareness of the pouring rain as you mentally prepare for what will be avery long night. Its early spring and the winds coming down off the mountains with the rain were becoming colder as the sun sank towards the horizon.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Modoc worked as fast as he could to finish up the stalls and fed all the animals...fast enough to be done quickly, but not so fast as to do a miserable job. Modoc always...regardless of what kind of work it was...took pride in a job well done.

After feeding the animals he went back and took one more look at the stalls for another quick clean up.

"Anythin' wert doin' once is wert doin' right!"

Modoc went and found the boy after the chores were done and brought him back to the stalls to check his work...


@ Modoc - The lad nodded his approval and took to you to the kitchen door where you both received a plate with a hunk of roasted lamb, fried potatos, a big crust of bread and an apple. You havent eaten this well in days and know it to be the fruits of your labor. You two return to the stables to eat and the lad shows you where you can sleep.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

"Thanks dare mate fer da hospitalaty'. Is dat dare yer ol' man?"

Modoc walks over to the litter and pulls from beneath the canvas a jug of ale hooked on his thumb. Pulling the stopper with his teeth he racks the jug around the back of his forearm to rest in the crook of his elbow and brings it to his lips for a steady pull...

"Aaaaahhhh...."

Taking a good look at the boy's reaction Modoc waits for the young mans reply...

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Perception Roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

Basically looking for the boys reaction to both my jug of ale (if he's interested) and what his body language may reveal about his relationship with Hergen as he talks about him. (figured Sense Motive would give me both of those, but rolled a Perception as well just for the f%!& of it.)


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

As the sun went down and the cool of the night began to creep into his bones Lathar thought back to his home and teacher. He remembered when he had realized that he was some what different than the other's. The oddly shaped eyes and ears were a dead give away that he was not fully human. Lathar considered it a blessing, allowing him to more understand nature and his surroundings. His teacher had known this as wellwhich is why he had come to this place. Yes he would defeat nature and if not then he would tame it too his liking.

He reached out with his senses listening perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18 as he felt slumber coming to him. Ahh yes the cool of the night rain.........


@ Modoc - the boy's eyes shine with curiosity when you get out the jug of what he can only assume is strong drink. You reckon he's just about of age to start partaking of the stuff. With the more serious question in play he seems to lose that excitement as he answers.

Naw, Hergen aint me pops but he treats me just the same I s'pose. Me kinfolk got taken by the fever about six seasons past. He didnt hesitate to let me work and live 'ere with him and the Misses.

@ Lathar - the only thing your pointy ears hear as you drift off is the steady drum of rain. You can also feel it soaking through your clothes but that doesnt seem to bother you. Sleep is fast in coming and a welcome thing indeed after the days travel.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Modoc hands the jug over for the boy to take a swig...

"If'n yuz wake me early enuf' in da moornin' ta be at da hed o' dat line at der magistrits' office...I've got a nudder jug o' dat wit yer name on it...course, ya can be tellin' anyone dat I gave it to yuz'."


@ Modoc - His eyes widen with excitement as you hand over the jug and he chokes down that first swallow with barely a sputter.

Thank ye mister. I'll have ya down thar early all right. Hope yur not a heavy sleeper.

You share a few more pulls on the jug and then turn in. Its not long at all when the lad wakes you with a fervent excitment.

Wake up mister! Thars already people in line! Wake up!

The steady drum of the rain can still be heard and the sun has yet to even near the horizon.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Modoc rose up to his full heght in a long stretch...seeing the anticipation in the young boys face...he shoke his head.

"Look boy, I may need to be stayin' her fer a few moor days. Da las thin I need is fer Hegen to come yellin' n' askin' questions bout' why es' stable boy es' passed out n' es' own piss. Give me little more time n' when I come back il' help ya knock out todays work n' we'll really get tied right?"

Not waiting for a replay Modoc walk out of the livery and on to the street...as soon as he was cross the threshold where the boy couldn't see him he ducked into the shadows behind the carriage house rain barrel and a pallet of feed grain...

Stealth Roll: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
Perception Roll: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Wow. Really stealthy there "Rouge"?


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Assuming my throat wasn't slit as I slept.

The nights rest Lathar had gotten wasnt't as restful as he had hoped. He stood as he awoke and looked around perception1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22 . He stretched and ran himself through a brief self defense routine and practiced controlling his breath. He then sat back in his place first in line at the door and broke out a trail bar and dried fruit for breakfast. Washing it all back with cool water Lathar waited to hear the door unlock.


@ Modoc - as you duck behind the barrell you inadvertantly step on a sleeping cat's tail and he lets out a blood curdling screech before running off into the dark. You peer through the pouring rain and see a figure hurryin towards the magistrate's office.

@ Lathar - Your throat is indeed intact and a quick check of your pouch confirms that so is your coin. Spending a night in the cold rain has had an effect on you though.

Fortitude DC 16:
If you fail then the previous night's weather has left you stiff and sore. You suffer a -1 to Dex based skills for 12 hours.

Your eyes are sharp as you rise and despite seeing a line of about three sodden souls already formed on the other side of the door you go through your daily regimen and break your fast before sitting back down where you slept with no apparent sense of urgency.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

@ modoc lol poor kitty!!

fortitude 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Even with a good stretch and some inner focus, the nights sleep on the wooden plankway leaves a deep crick in Lathar's neck.

tracking the -1 dex on Hero lab


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

After watching for few moments to make sure no one was looking in his direction...Modoc will slide out from behind the pallets an walk over to stand in line with the others...


@ Lathar - as you sit, eat and drink you notice the same elderly man from yesterday get in line behind the others on the oppposite side of the door. No one seems to be in the mood for small talk and most hunch under the hoods of their cloaks or pull their wide brimmed hats down from time to time.

@ Modoc - The lad did good in waking you early and you get a good spot in line. A young half elf seems to just be passing the time in liesure on the other side of the doorway.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Is there a reason you all are standing on that side of the door today?

The line started here yesterday where I am standing. looking around himself at the ground.
sense motive I think to try and pick up on if I have made a mistake. 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
I would hate to see you all miss out because of a simple mistake.


A middle aged man first in line replies to you.

Well sir, I dont see how sleeping over thar accounts for starting a line. Im sure the magistrate will recognize those gathered together over the one standing alone. No offense mister but you better take your place at the end of this here line of you want a chance today.

You see some of the others nod in agreement.

He's just speaking the thruth as he sees it.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Hmm I understand your point. Lathar grabs his pack and moves over to the end of the line. I hope the four winds brings you the luck you deserve then.

Lathar stands in place behind the older man and says to him. Good mornin to ya sir, looks like another fine day for waitin haha

The name is Lathar. I am new to the area, you been around these parts before? diplomacy 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14


The man nods and looks thankful that it didnt get violent as you take your place behind the elderly fellow. The morning barely lights up as dark clouds still hang oppressively over head and contiue to pour rain on sleepy Brinewall. Its not long until the tall man and two burly city guards come and open the office. The tall identifies himself as Magistrate Bernk and bids you all to

Please be patient while I get some affairs in order. I'll be calling you in one at a time to go over the details.

With that he goes inside. There is some muttering amongst the men in line but they all seem to also be excited at finally getting their chance. Time is hard to tell with so sun to track but it isnt much longer when Bernk comes out and starts bringing men in one at a time. You shuffle forward with the others and wonder why no one else has turned out. Each man before you comes out holding a map case and wide smile and you if it wasnt raining youd swear one man was crying. The morning passes and the rain finally lets up as there is just of the two you left. When Bernk comes out he is scowling and speaks with a hint of frustration.

You two the only left huh? Well I reckon I'll need to speak to the both of you at the same time. Come on in gentlemen.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Grumbling under his breath...Modoc walked into the office, just happy to get an audience. This next part was going to be very important. He had a sinking feeling he knew what was about to happen...


Bernk leads you into his office which is set off of the main room. There another guard is going over a ledger while another is sitting nearby oiling a crossbow. As you enter his office he motions towards the two chairs and takes a seat behind the heavy looking desk. Even though the day has just started the man looks tired and already stained with ink. He sighs and folds his hands before speaking.

Gentlemen, do you know each other? I have quite the predicament here. There is just one plot of land left and two of you applicants. I am actually surprised that there arent more people waiting and relieved that I dont have to break that sort of bad news to any hopefulls. Now, would you two sirs be intersted in going in on this together?


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Modoc turned his body completely to stand square in front of the young half-elf, his face twisting through a number of emotions beginning with anger then moving on to a frown of disappointment, the wrinkled face of disgust, then the wide eyed look of doubt, then on to a shrug of the shoulders, followed by regret...all in the span of a few heartbeats...

Thinking to himself he had to move fast, Modoc realized this was his last good opportunity for the Homestead to be done legally, without outright killing another person, taking the deed and having to assume their identity when the law came sniffing about...This would have to do, plus just because he finds himself in this circumstance now doesn't mean it has to last forever...

"Sure I'm in! Where do I sign?

Modoc steps up to the table and pulls the quill out of the well and bends over looking for a place to sign...

I'm gonna make sure my name is on this document first! Modoc thought to himself.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

sense motive 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Lathar knew this feeling and had hoped it would not come to this. For all his time on this world he had been forced to prove himself. He knew this man did not trust him. No human ever did. No elven folk did either. This was supposed to be a solitary battle against nature. His own battle, and now the four winds had blown him in a new direction. If this was the new direction of the winds then he would not be defeated.

Lathar looked the man in the eyes and did not pretend to hide his unease.

Well my new.....friend.... It looks as though nature has forced us into an odd situation. I do say that two is always better than one. We shall do this together then.

Lathar steps aside and watches the man sign before he signs himself.

Two is always better than one but can be split into one again when needed.


Bernk had steepled his hands under his nose waiting for your decisions and arched his eyebrows in what couldve been surprise or relief. But you both missed all of that as you took measure of one another.

Well this is certainly good news. Now to get started you'll both have to sign this land deed.

He spins an official document around and notes where you make your marks. Satisfied with the legibility he makes some notations in a ledger on his desk.

You'll also have to sign this document for my keeping.

at this he spins another sheet of vellum around and again notes where to make your marks.

Now your plot is the former Kilcher Farm although you may rename it. That was the name of the family that held it until last summer.

He draws out another sheet of vellum with a map of the area north of Brinewall and after a few moments of study marks a spot with an X and a light line showing the borders of your plot before putting both it and your signed deed into a mapcase.

The original Homestead act called for you to be granted forty acres and a mule. Theres actually a bit more to this plot. It's closer to sixty acres and will probably take the both of you to tame. Considering the circumstances you'll both get a mule, the standard 50 gp and one wagon to share. Since you've already agreed I'll take it that this is reasonable recompense for the less than desirable situation.

He gets three more sheets of vellum and quickly writes out some long sentences. He hands you each one and explains.

This is a letter of credit for the 50 gp at Grommunns Goods.

The other he hands to Modoc and says.

This will explain to Hergen at the carriage house that he's to provide the wagon and two mules.

With all the official stuff out of the way he leans back and regards you both sternly.

I wish you the best of luck. You got a lot of hard work ahead of you and truth be told that area isnt exactly safe yet. There's still a 10 gp bounty on bandits in the area and all sorts of other unpleasantness besides the getting ready for winter. Any questions?


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

What happened to the Kilchers? Hopefully they decided to move away on there own... diplomacy 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Or maybe they just werent hardy enough to handle the life and died.

Lathar looks at the older man again and says. we still have plenty of time to head out there and check the place out..I still havent caught your name yet. Mine is Lathar.


Male Human Rouge (Survivalist) / Level 2/ Health: 15/15 / AC: 13 / Saves: F/R/W +0/+4/+3

Modoc stood there silently for a few moments taking in the magistrates reaction and all that was said. Finally he looked at the half-elf as he was interrogating the magistrate, before finally saying...

"Arodens invisible ass! Are you gonna be going on like that the whole time?"

Scooping up the map case and other loose papers off of the desk as fast as he could, Modoc seemed like he could not get out of there quick enough...

I've finally got this s*&~ in my hands and this guy wants to play twenty guesses...I am getting the heck outa here before something goes wrong or this magistrate returns to sanity...

"Whelp! What evr' et es', ets' not dare problem now! It's are problem. Let's get goin' these gents her' look tired and a nice early day would probly suit dem jus fine!"


Magistrate Bernk looks slightly annoyed at Lathar's questions.

Thanks to your horrible diplomacy roll!

and relieved at Modoc's insistance on urgency.

Yes, yes, yes there's lots to do here and I'm sure you gentlemen would like to get on the road. Spend that coin wisely. These sort of srping rains typically predict a very bad winter. Now if you will excuse me a magistrate's work is never done. Good luck again.

He'll motion to one the guards who will politely wait about two seconds for you to make your own way out before escorting you.


male Half-Elf Monk of the Four Winds 2- -HP 14/14 AC 15 Ft 6, Re 4, Wi 8

Good call let's move out.

As they walk outside lathar turns to the older man and says.

Old man, since the place we are going already had some people there we ought to wait to buy a bunch of stuff till we see what they left behind. Maybe they had a coral set up for animals already and maybe some stray livestock running around too that hadnt been killed off by the wildlife.

Lathar hikes up his pack and starts walking to the livery to retrieve his mule.

I cant say i have a lot of experience hitchen mules to carts and stuff or driving them, but i can give it a good try.


As you approach the carriage house you can see a lad turning out a pack of mules into one corral and a similar corral with a few horses on the other side. The front doors are propped open. Most likely because the rain has stopped. A bear of a man stands out front with his arms crossed looking to the sky.

1 to 50 of 395 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Carvin' out a niche... All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.