Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Cap'n Voodoo's Freebooter PBP

Game Master voodoo chili

Fun and Plunder in Green Ronin's Freeport and around the Shackles.


101 to 150 of 6,738 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

"Aye Kaul, sounds like the flat feet are on their way. We best be finishing up sharpish!", he then tries to strangle the life out of the bug in his hands.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15 for 1d4 ⇒ 3

"This mights be a bit hard to explain..."


Dibbets throttles the beast in his wee small hands until its eyes bulge and its tongue hangs out of its mouth tube. Dingus shoots a force bolt down the stairs to hit the dangler on Jim’s back and shower everyone in a quart of blood leaving a single swollen bug-bat remaining on Jim’s arm.

Dibbets, I’d give you 1d2 damage for your little hands, but that’s enough to mash it so it won’t give you any trouble as you hobble off.

Jim, you are correct sir. You are at -6 CON so far! And just because the Captain is a right bastard, I’m giving you the fatigued condition due to anemia. I’d recommend eating a very rare steak before you turn in tonight.

On to round 5.


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

Dibbets cackles with glee when his small, yet knobbly, hands strangle the life from the bug-bat.

I've an idea for when the guard do arrive, but it is a bit dependent on whether they are hardened vets or milksops wet behind the ears.

Knowledge (Local) (untrained): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Does Dibbets know whether the watch is likely to be raw recruits or vets?


Male Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor of Besmara 5

I take it all obvious opponents have been dealt with.

the Groom holds up his bundle and addresses it. "You, the skull of red eyes. Your games have raised the Guard. You gave us no time to answer your unasked question of what happened here. If you are up for travel, I will give portage, and perhaps we can converse later."

If there is no other resistance, he is heading for the door and curious to see if the skull will put up a fight about leaving the house.


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

Pokes the Groom and says - lookit, theres a bug-bat on Jim's arm sucking out is lifeblood and you're gonna walk out the front door?


Dibbets, the best you can do untrained is 10. I guess you are new to port or at least have avoided the law so far. With a 10, you know there is a Watch, but aren't certain about the competency.

While the Groom is distracted by the death's head, the last bug-bat takes a final pull of Jim juice and detaches madly flapping its wings to stay aloft.

AoOs away.


Male Taldan Human Free-Hand Fighter/5 | AC 20 T 15 FF 15 | HP 39/49 | F +5 R +5 W +4 | Init +3| Perc +1

Leaning against a nearby wall for support, Jim draws his rapier and attempts to punish the little bloodsucker. "You...are not going...to get away with my blood, you little muckspawn!"

Rapier attack (including -1 for fatigued condition):

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

Damage (including -1 for fatigued condition):

1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5
Cap'n Voodoo wrote:
Dibbets, the best you can do untrained is 10. I guess you are new to port or at least have avoided the law so far. With a 10, you know there is a Watch, but aren't certain about the competency.

Fair enough ... I'll interpret it as every time Dibbets met them he's been too drunk to remember details... though he seems to think one of them had a wee pink elephant as a pet.


Dibbets wrote:
Pokes the Groom and says - lookit, theres a bug-bat on Jim's arm sucking out is lifeblood and you're gonna walk out the front door?

heh. i couldn't resist and it certainly fits that the Groom is a little more in tune with the dead than the living. do note that Jim did not take an additional pont CON damage. The bug-bat just got sick of being groped. I didn't say I was a COMPLETE bastard. I'll move this along as I've had my fun : )

With a weary swing Jim slices a wing off the retreating creature and it plops on the floor only to be crushed under Kaul's boot. As everyone steps off the stairs into the kitchen, Dibbet's light reveals the staring corpse of the huge man with the scar across his nose. Two more bug-bats dislodge from the corpse and jiggling like a full wine skin with wings buzzing at full speed they clumsily make their way around the corner to the front room. Curiously the cauldron is no longer in the hearth but lies near the man with a large dent in its side.


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

Dibbets sheathes his dagger and picks up his staff before crossing to the writing table. He quickly checks for anything of value or books on the top or in the drawers.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11 If he sees anything he just stuff it into his shirt without looking at it

He then crosses to the skin bag and rolls it up before holding it under one arm. "Aye, this might come in useful. Heehee." His mouth is screwed into a rictus that could be anything from glee to horror. He then follows his companions back down the stairs.

The skin bag is an integral part of my escape strategy if required... Muhahahahaha


Dibbets:
You don't see anything of value on the table. That whistle did sound some blocks away still. You should have time to beat the heat if you move quickly although you and Jim might require some assistance.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor of Besmara 5

sorry, lost track of bug-bats. I thought Jim was squeezing the last of them....But yeah, the Groom is convinced this skull is up to something (to the point of distraction).


Eyeball to eye socket, the Groom makes his way to the front door taking no notice of the sated bug-bats that buzz their way through the now open doorway behind him sloshing like a sailor's bladder on the first night in port.

The skull makes no reply, but continues to gleam ominously.

To be clear, Groom is facing the door to the street which is currently shut. The door behind him is an interior door that was closed when you came in.


Male Half Orc Rogue (Thug) 5

Ever compassionate Kaul heads over to the corpse of "Cut-nose" and pads him down for valuables or anything of interest (papers, gold teeth, coin, weapons etc).

While not on the same wavelength as Dibbets, Kaul does try to remember if the Watch are the heavy handed or silver tongued (skull crackers or open to bribes)...

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Arse!

Clearly his beadies and thoughts are pre-occupied by pinching stuff!

I'm out of town until late tomorrow guys so probably won't post during that time. Cap'n feel free to run Kaul in my absence as I don't want to hold up negotiations with the Watch. Remember "gunboat diplomacy" lads lol


“Cut-nose” has 8 gp in his pockets, a flask of something that smells more magical than alcohol, an extremely well balanced rapier, and a gold ring with HH inlaid with tiny red gemstones.

Obviously you lot pay no mind to the Law. The only thing Kaul can add is that the Watch seems more prevalent in the wealthier Merchant and Eastern Districts than rougher places like Scurvytown and Drac’s End perhaps unsurprisingly. You see them on the Docks now and then.


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

"Someone check an see if we can get out the back way, an lets grab as much loot as we can carry" Dibbets barks as he comes down the stairs "I'll get to see if I can't buy us some extra time to hoof it"

He then moves to an area about 10 foot directly in front of the door and gets down on one knee - attacking the floorboards with one of his daggers.

Cap'n:
Here's what Dibbets wants to do, feel free to say no :)
Step 1: Make a hole in the floorboards big enough to jam his quarterstaff in.
Step 2: Stick his quarterstaff up the backside of the skin bag so that the end of it sits inside the skin bag's head.
Step 3: Jam the quarterstaff into the hole so that the skin bag sits upright like some macabre scarecrow.
Step 4: Just before we head out the back way, cast obscuring mist into the entry room.
Profit: We should have a skin-bag scarecrow, with it's head aglow from the light spell I cast earlier in a room full of spooooky mist. Hoping that this will give any superstitious or green watchmen pause so we have extra time to get away

What do you think?

No peekin unless ye be the Cap'n


A quick glance reveals that in fact there isn't a backdoor.

You are on the edge of the Eastern District which morphs into Drac's End, a squatter settlement that eventually became more permanent although there are still tent towns in Drac's End for more recent arrivals, the fallen middle class, and escaped slaves. Needless to say, this building isn't up to code and no backyard was set aside when the lot was originally claimed. Great idea though and I thought you were just grabbing the 'bag lady' for an inflatible girlfriend for those lonely nights at sea : )


Male Taldan Human Free-Hand Fighter/5 | AC 20 T 15 FF 15 | HP 39/49 | F +5 R +5 W +4 | Init +3| Perc +1

Any windows facing away from the front of the house?


James "Madman Jim" Patterson wrote:
Any windows facing away from the front of the house?

On the second floor. You up for a roof top escape?


Male Taldan Human Free-Hand Fighter/5 | AC 20 T 15 FF 15 | HP 39/49 | F +5 R +5 W +4 | Init +3| Perc +1

A reaaaallly slow one, maybe. OTOH, even fatigued Jim's acrobatics checks are likely better than most of the rest of the party....


Male Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor of Besmara 5

the Groom points the wrapped skull at the fallen man and the dented cauldron. "More of your doing?" He walks past Kaul and his looting with a muttered, "Good man..never leave a fallen man's gold behind."

He will approach the door and attempt to open it. In a voice for the skull, "You gonna let us outta here?"

If it opens he will check to see how close the whistles might be.

Perception ->1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


The door swings open at the Groom's touch as the skull's eyes flare. Out in the street a few bystanders have begun to gather, but most of the attention appears to be focused down the street at the source of the whistling.

If you want to try to either Stealth out the front OR Bluff innocent bystander OR give me an Acrobatics and a Jump check if you want to try the roof route. Also give me an idea of where you might want to be heading.


Male Taldan Human Free-Hand Fighter/5 | AC 20 T 15 FF 15 | HP 39/49 | F +5 R +5 W +4 | Init +3| Perc +1

Jim sheathes his rapier and strides out the front door, trying not to look like he's about to pass out. Unless challenged, he won't say anything, just walk purposefully out and away from the whistling. If any of the bystanders look like they might try to stop him, he'll rest a hand on his rapier hilt and stare them down, quietly saying "I don't think you want to do that, friend."

Intimidate check, if necessary:

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Male Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor of Besmara 5

the Groom sees many bystanders as Jim stumbles out into the street. Turning to the group, "Would be best to set their minds to not wanting to be here."

He will hold the skull out on his hand toward Dingus, the sheet still protecting his hand, "You of the Tien magics, can you float our mascot out the door and introduce her to the crowd? I can set the mob to thinking our way."

If Dingus can float the skull out the door, from within the house, the Groom will select someone who looks large and loud in the crowd and cast cause fear to hopefully start a stampede of people away from the house. All hinging on (a) if the skull permits itself to be flown out the door and (b) a floating red-eyed skull doesn't automatically start a stampede.

the Groom heartily approves of such fun!


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

Dibbets stands up after finding out that there isn't a back way out, "Pah, change a tact then"

We can combine the Groom and my plan. I cast Obscuring mist then Dingus floats out the skull and Kaul can hold out my Skin-bag scarecrow?

I make sure to grab a bag of dried flowers before we leave though! And I say we head away from the guard whistles as a starter


Male Human Sorcerer 5; HP 19/33; AC-16/14/12; F+4, R+4, W+4. (Spells:0/5(2), 0/7(1))

"I can indeed float the stupid skull". "We must however remain fairly close to it to do so". "And what is the plan after the guards fearing for our safety attack the skull"? "Do we let them do so, then run"?


A slender pale figure steps through the doorway his gaze daring anyone to challenge him. Although his gait is slightly wobbly, the gawkers unintentionally step aside afraid to even meet his eye. He heads west away from the approaching Watch whistles, but few notice as a cloud of fog roils the air behind him causing the bystanders to glance nervously around.

Let the glow skull shenanigans begin!


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

"Righto lads, nows the time that fog won't last forever.", Dibbets then throws a sack of flowers o'er his shoulder and tries to slink out without anyone noticing once the fun starts, following in Jim's direction. I should still be at 15ft speed as Lame Oracles don't get slowed by encumberance

Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Dingus, if you float the skull out in front of you, then have it retreat as you follow us - Kaul can bring up the rearguard with the skin bag scarecrow. I can lay down some extra fog if we need it later on too


Male Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor of Besmara 5

"Good, don't drop her. I don't want to see her when she's angry. Once you send it out there, I will add to the sense of dread. Once the crowd gets going I'll grab her and get after the Taldan."


Male Half Orc Rogue (Thug) 5

Kaul methodically pockets the coin, flask and ring... and slips the rapier into his belt... Heh good booty he muses.

Hearing the others plan, Kaul does his part, slips on his brass knucks then gingerly brandishes Dibbet's wrinkly hammock warmer before him... If it looks like he's been spotted by the crowd he'll follow Madman Jim's lead and growl at the individual while raising his brass knuckles (Intimidate)

Stealth: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Intimidate If needed 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


to be honest Bess and the Groom did quite a number on the old skin bag. it looks more sad than scary anymore, but if Dibbets has taken a shining to it, well to each his own. I'm not sure what he wants with a sack of chamomile either, but you just can't talk sense to the little looney ; )


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

Fine, since the old girl is looking a bit sad like, lets just go with the floaty glowy skull of foggy doom. I'll have the skin bag rolled up under one arm. I'll cancel the light spell on my staff too so I don't look so obvious.... Maybe I'll get a chance for a skin-bag scarecrow later - what's the DC to sew her back together? :P

Re: the sack of flowers ... I'm beginning to think that I'm the only one who has kept is wits! We was hired to do a job, which was to loot the bloomin house. Far as Red Arse face and his pals know it's only got dried flowers in it. I'm bringing the bag as evidence of a job well done and where's our pay if you don't mind me asking...


Male Half Orc Rogue (Thug) 5

Ok retcon Kaul's post with this if possible Cap'n: Kaul will still loot "cut nose" as mentioned, but regarding Dibbets comments I as actually thinking of trying to nab the ornate carpet before the "skull and skinbag" gambit was thrown together... how long would it take Kaul to nip up the stairs and roll up the carpet?

If its not do-able I'll proceed with my stealth/threat combo sans Dib's new lady... [shudders]


Male Taldan Human Free-Hand Fighter/5 | AC 20 T 15 FF 15 | HP 39/49 | F +5 R +5 W +4 | Init +3| Perc +1

I hope everyone will be too busy paying attention to the parade behind me (or fleeing for their lives in panic from it) to remember one anemic little sailor.


"Keelhaul" Kaul wrote:
... how long would it take Kaul to nip up the stairs and roll up the carpet?

OK now settle down. rolling wouldn't take long but carrying a full grown floor rug is not only going to be bulky but a tad bit conspicuous as well.

so I'm just giving Dingus a chance to post his actions. it sounds like Groom will assist with cause fear.
Paging Dr. Dingus. Paging Dr. Dingus.


Male Human Sorcerer 5; HP 19/33; AC-16/14/12; F+4, R+4, W+4. (Spells:0/5(2), 0/7(1))

Dingus will use the mage hand to move the skull as requested, backing away until they find a way clear of this mess.

I'm really not sure what we're doing at this moment...but hopefully this makes sense :-)


Ha Dingus, I just recalled that you said you might be busy this week.

As the few bystanders that noticed the pale man and the foreboding mist in his wake watch anxiously, the fog takes on a reddish hue like blood dispersing after a shark attack. A bold man in the front leans forward to peer into the mist and sees the light coalesce into two points of light at about head level. Suddenly, there is a collective gasp from the on-lookers as the the lights are revealed to be the fiendishly glowing eyes of a FLYING SKULL!!


Male Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor of Besmara 5

Dingus, just a little Crowd Control...clearing away the witnesses

the Groom takes his cue. Stepping into the mist, he waits till he he can make out a human shape, then with a hand on the pommel of his sword, he cast Cause Fear DC14 vs Will.


The man in front feels the icy touch of fear grip him like the malevolent spell it in fact is as he lets out a bellow like a wounded sea cow and plows over a child in his rush to save his soul from the demon skull. His bolt becomes a route as the gathered men and women rush back to their homes or at least away from the cloud of doom. With a banging of doors and shutters, the street is cleared in moments.


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

"Righto lads, lets catch up to Jim." hisses Dibbets just before he sneaks out through the fog in the direction that the Taldan took.

Assuming we get a bit of distance, he'll fold up the skin-bag and stuff it into his sack of flowers so he doesn't look 'quite' so wierd.

@Dingus - we're just making a grand exit so we can catch up to Jim who took the easy way and just walked straight out... no sense for the dramatic there.

I'm assuming the next step will be to track down Red Arse Face and Finn?


No one notices the stealthy halfling with his odd burden or apparently the conspicuously hulking half-orc slipping out of the thinning fog and down the street with a pair of other shadowy figures. They soon find their pale companion slumped against the wall down the street and hasten down an alley as the thudding of the Watch’s boots reaches the abandoned house.

The party stops to confer and the Groom again consults with his swaddled skull only to find the light has mysteriously faded from its sockets.

It’s still early in the evening with plenty of time for more mischief.
North is Drac’s End, as mentioned a squatter settlement with few establishments on the east side.
To the south is the Field of Honor, heart of the Eastern District with plenty of decent inns, taverns, and shops around it. The Field itself hosts a thriving market during the day, but becomes a semi-official battleground for dueling hotheads at night including the tag-along herds of groupies and bettors. Continuing south is the Docks and the waterfront.
Farther east is the Bloodsalt and Scurvytown neither of which should be braved at night even for veteran freaks such as yourselves.
West is the Old City, locked up tight and not particularly welcoming to your type.


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

Grinning widely like a bristly cheshire cat, Dibbets blurts "Well that was a bit o' fun then weren't it? I think we've earned a drink." he then pulls out one of his flasks and takes a hearty swig of grog before holding the foul smelling liquid out for any other brave takers.

"What's the plan then now mates? I'd like to set eyes on the red faced yeller belly who left us in there and have a chat. Anyone know where he or this 'Finn' he mentioned hole up?"


Male Half Orc Rogue (Thug) 5

Kaul smiles his twisted smile: "Aye Dibbs, sounds a plan... we needs to find somewhere's so we kin divvy up our loot..." He taps the pommel of the fancy rapier tucked in his belt... Plenty for one and all I reckons... and maybe a room fer you and tha skinbag to get proper acquainted? Hur-hur-hur!

His scarred face then contorts into what might be puzzlement;

Red-face can kiss my rudder... and as fer Finn... ain't sure I recall...

Knowledge (Local): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Kaul's fair knowledge of Freeport nets all the above location information and now after seeing the cut nose thug's ring he recalls what HH stands for and Finn's identity. Finn is the leader of the Halfling Benevolence Association, an organization said to protect Freeport's halflings and their interests. This is actually a front for the Syndicate, an extensive crime organizaton. 'HH' stands for the Hell Hounds, the protection racket arm of the Syndicate that prowls the Eastern District extorting money from local businesses. All in all a very dangerous crew.


Male Taldan Human Free-Hand Fighter/5 | AC 20 T 15 FF 15 | HP 39/49 | F +5 R +5 W +4 | Init +3| Perc +1

Jim gratefully accepts the proffered flask from Dibbets and takes a swig. "Thank you kindly, Master Dibbets...you're a right one." He sways slightly as he passes it back. "I best be careful. What those flying leeches did to me, I've no head for strong drink 'til I wrap myself around some grub."

He stops. "Now, I was a mite distracted there, but the fat man said he worked for Finn? And one of his thugs is dead?" He shakes his head. "I'm thinking the Docks are where we want to be, an' they come asking after their boy. Finn is a nasty piece of work, with lots o' friends."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Inquisitor of Besmara 5

the Groom looks sadly at the skull. "Light's out apparently. But You of the glowing eyes put on a wonderful show." He will continue to carry it..thinking he might take it back to the house at some point to see if it reactivates.

"He of the Red Face left us to die, nothing wrong with that in a hopeless situation. But his cowardice scuttled the job and called down the law. These two sins have been scrolled in a watery tome. There will be a reckoning."


Male Half Orc Rogue (Thug) 5

Kaul listens nonchalantly to Jim and the Groom... then shakes his head slow like;

"Got this offa "Cut-Nose"..."(brandishes the ring with the HH insigna that he pilfed, showing it to all around) "Them's the initials of the Hell Hounds, Finn's boys, put the lug on shopkeepers and the like... rough crew."

His eyes narrow dangerously "See I reckon's that tha fat man will ping us fer anything that went sewer deep. We either find him or find Finn's boys first and ping him? Sack running, surer way o' getting ourselves a price that every rowdy an shanker will aim ta collect".

Kaul's hacking laugh rumbles up as he mulls what he said: "Hell boys if its high enough I might be tempted ta collect on us myself... Hur-hur-hur-hur!"


Male Taldan Human Free-Hand Fighter/5 | AC 20 T 15 FF 15 | HP 39/49 | F +5 R +5 W +4 | Init +3| Perc +1

Jim laughs. "You have the right of it, Kaul. But 'less you got serious friends in low places, we won't find the fat man. So how 'bout we get us to the Hell Hounds. We'll come in all nice an' friendly. Couldn't take the body with, sorry (even though it was nice an' light after the leeches got 'im!), but we took the ring so the law wouldn't know who did it. And here it is back...see how nice we are? The fat man? No, we're not mad he bailed on us. But are they mad he bailed on one of theirs?

"How's that sound?"


Male Halfling Oracle of Gozreh 5

"Aye, Jim that sounds a fair plan. Better we go than be sought out"


Male Half Orc Rogue (Thug) 5

Kaul nods his scarred head; "Aye Jim, sounds solid enough - might carry us some favour with the Hounds too."

"First things first though eh? Let's find us a spot to dredge over the booty, swallow some scran an' sink some grog... we can ask around after the Hell Hounds while we do?"

101 to 150 of 6,738 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Cap'n Voodoo's Freebooter PBP All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.