Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Call of the Wardens (Inactive)

Game Master Roshan

Reemergence of the Fabled Wardens


1,001 to 1,050 of 1,081 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Back from vacation.

Rikka studies the church quietly until the discussion winds down, offering an opinion belatedly, "The building itself is aesthetically forgettable but some of the stained glass is interesting. Let's go discuss its artistic merits with the occupant 'Thyn saw."

Having nothing further to add, she approaches the front door with the vanguard.

Rikka will go first if no one else wants to.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Maeltheron Timmerond wrote:

When the others arrive, he opens the doors, and peers inside.

Perception: 1d20+11

Inside you see a figure making animated motions to a mass of people sitting at the pews, though it looks as though none of them including the preacher are making any noise.

Alenthyn wrote:
Survival 1d20 + 10.

There are indeed tracks here, strangely though none are on the on the doorstep itself, there are tracks leading directly up to it but it seems that once they cross a certain point all tracks, dirt, and mud just disappears. Even those of your companions who happen to be inspecting the doors.

Dolelan Callennan wrote:
[ooc]Knowledge (religion) 1d20+12, Knowledge (history) 1d20+12: Is there a history of cults dedicated to Urgathoa's worship in this region?

You're not familiar with any cults of the Pallid Princess in Jackal's Folly or anywhere in Eastmarch, they take cults devoted to evil deities pretty seriously here and actively work to dismantle such institutions.

When you guys enter the church:
Immediately through the double doors is a room with a high arched ceiling. A long line of wooden pews, about ten on each side of the room dominate most of the space, taking up almost all the sitting room are people that look like they should have been put in the ground a long time ago, some are missing body parts, arms or legs. Several are missing their lower jaws or even sections of their heads, all of them staring straight ahead. A long red rug runs down the middle of the room between each row of pews leading up to a pulpit at which a hooded figure leaning over a white podium looks on over the congregation.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka glances around the church speculating quietly, "Fellow at the pulpit might need special attention... Dolelan, Ariella, what do you know of these parishioners? Is a blade or fist better?" She doesn't wait for the answer before stepping forward to block the aisle, one finger tapping the hilt of her katana.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron pulls up the hood of his cloak and attempts to hide in the back of the church with his eyes trained on the hooded figure at the pulpit.

Stealth: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (18) + 18 = 36


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Ariella chants a brief prayer, and her eyes begin to glow the color of the sun.

Casting detect magic.
Knowledge (Religion) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 Are these any type of undead that I'm aware of?

"It could be an illusion, one moment." she whispers.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka casts a wary eye around the room and ceiling, looking for some other lurking menace.

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29


The silent service pulls Alenthyn up short, and he blinks. After a heartbeat's pause, he raises his right hand and snaps a few times quietly, nodding in recognition of the fact that he had not, in fact, gone suddenly deaf. His own magic-detection spell springs into existence right after Ariella's.

Spellcraft (to ID any spells revealed) 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17.

Caution and curiosity play tug of war with the elf, and he debates attempting to poke the nearest pew-sitter with his arrow as he steps up near Rikka. "So this is… unexpected."

Stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Ariella Moiraine wrote:

Casting detect magic.

Knowledge (Religion) 1d20+8 Are these any type of undead that I'm aware of?

They're a mish mash of many different kinds, there are of course the obvious ones, zombies and ghouls, then there are the less commonly known wight's and even a couple ghuls. Aside from those there are a couple you can't quite put your finger on.

Rikka Rask wrote:

Rikka casts a wary eye around the room and ceiling, looking for some other lurking menace.

Perception 1d20+10

Aside from the obvious threat there doesn't seem to be anything else lurking in the dark corners. Aside of course for those in your party who like to lurk in dark corners.

Alenthyn wrote:
Caution and curiosity play tug of war with the elf, and he debates attempting to poke the nearest pew-sitter with his arrow as he steps up near Rikka. "So this is… unexpected."

As soon as you speak aloud and poke a nearby decaying zombie with the tip of your arrow the preacher's head snaps up, his hood casting shadows on his face but a pair of glowing red eyes staring right at you. Along with him those sitting in the pews quickly cock their heads in your direction and soon, the whole focus of the room is on Alenthyn.


Oh, um... i didn't mean for Alenthyn's to actually poke one. If its too much if a retcon, that's fine, though.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Exactly how many 'parishioners' are we seeing here?


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

One of Ariella's hands lights on fire and the other grabs her holy symbol. "Uh oh. We've got zombies, ghouls, ghuls, wights and stranger still. Exercise caution." she says.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka nods, draws her blade, and lets it hang casually at her side. "Stay close, then. To be isolated is to be butchered." She waits and watches, wondering if anyone intends to parlay with the red-eyed 'priest' on the pulpit.

Initiative (if needed) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Alenthyn wrote:
Oh, um... i didn't mean for Alenthyn's to actually poke one. If its too much if a retcon, that's fine, though.

Sorry, that was my bad. I misread your post. They are in fact still locked in what seems like prayer.

Rikka Rask wrote:
Exactly how many 'parishioners' are we seeing here?

Rough estimate, 10 pews on each side, 3-4 sitting at each one. About 100-120.


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

What does/did detect magic reveal for me and Alyn?


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Ariella Moiraine wrote:
What does/did detect magic reveal for me and Alyn?

The air is rife with the flow of necromantic magic. Though it seems that there are some abjuration auras emanating from the double doors and stained glass.

So just a clarification, you guys have stepped into the church correct?


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Yes.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Yes, and I am hiding in the shadows in the back with a 36 stealth with my arrow trained on the pulpit.


I'll try to be more deliberate with posts like that... thanks for allowing the retcon. And yes, Alenthyn is inside, a step or three behind Rikka.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon is hiding as well.
Stealth:1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31


Elven Archivist 5

Dolelan entered the church then stood at the back, scrutinizing the assembled 'congregation', the man(?) at the podium, and the interior of the building itself. His hand is on his sword's hilt, but he has not drawn it yet.

Is there an altar of some sort here, or just the pulpit?
What sort of scenes are depicted in the stained glass?

Taking 20 on perception check, if time permits = 29
Knowledge (religion): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Dolelan Callennan wrote:

Dolelan entered the church then stood at the back, scrutinizing the assembled 'congregation', the man(?) at the podium, and the interior of the building itself. His hand is on his sword's hilt, but he has not drawn it yet.

Is there an altar of some sort here, or just the pulpit?
What sort of scenes are depicted in the stained glass?

Taking 20 on perception check, if time permits = 29
Knowledge (religion): 1d20+12

No altar, strangely enough aside from the creepy bit about the undead and the man at the front this looks like a completely normal church that you'd find in any old town.

The scenes on the stained glass are pretty subtle, counterclockwise from the right it's almost as if it's chronicling the story of the first to rise as undead after Urgathoa. The first one is a group of people holding each other over a grave being filled in but the man being buried has a strange look about him. At the next a man bathed in light stands before the man, placing his palm on his forehead as light seems to fill him.

Nothing is truly overt in any of the scenes but all of them point to some sort of clue that they're really undead, in a crowd of people walking you see several legs twisted at unusual angles, in one scene where a robe is being put on a man a pair of large canines seem to be poking out of his peaceful smile. Finally there is a man standing at the top of a hill looking out over the huddled masses. You make the connection and realize that this is the story of Dason, the writer of Urgathoa's sacred text Serving Your Hunger and her first Undead Knight-Commander.

Ariella, now that you see all the stained glass instead of just those on one face of the church you come to a similar conclusion.


Elven Archivist 5

After having a look around and seeing a surprising lack of hostility, Dolelan slowly takes his hand off his hilt and pulls out a small notebook. This is amazing! A chance to observe an authentic Urgathoan service first hand! He hurriedly scratches down notes and observations, his cramped shorthand quickly filling the pages.

Taking 10 on stealth check to avoid making noise while retrieving notebook = 20, 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 if I can't take a 10.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

As you wait with baited breath nothing seems to happen as you loiter at the entrance. Besides Dolelan jotting down notes do you guys do anything, and if you decide to wait let me know for how long.


Alenthyn whispers back to Dolelan, very careful to make sure his voice doesn't carry beyond the group, "So do we think this... church is somehow tied to our objectives? Or should we simply back out?"


Elven Archivist 5

Dolelan purses his lips in annoyance at the interruption and jotts down a line common in the notebook then shows it to Alenthyn, The presence of a cult of U--- is likely related to the discovery of a powerful necromantic artifact. Names have power. Within the walls of this place hallowed to her, he won't risk drawing attention by so much as writing the name of the goddess.

Left to his own devices, Dolelan will spend 20-30 minutes writing his observations and making quick sketches of the various 'paritioners', the priest, and the church.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka watches the archivist briefly with faint annoyance before she nudges 'Thyn and points outside for the benefit of Ariella and the stealthy Mael. Putting gestures to action, the samurai heads quietly outside, getting a good distance away from the church before stopping to survey this strange, bleak country.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Rikka Rask wrote:
Rikka watches the archivist briefly with faint annoyance before she nudges 'Thyn and points outside for the benefit of Ariella and the stealthy Mael. Putting gestures to action, the samurai heads quietly outside, getting a good distance away from the church before stopping to survey this strange, bleak country.

Stepping outside you see that this church has a scenic vista. You can see for miles in every direction and the leafy green of the swamp stretches for most of it. If you look sharp just beyond the edge of the swamp you can see the edges of the ruined, smoldering village in which you found the advance party. Far to the west of that you can see a river cuts through the center of this dense wood and seems to run it's entire length. The rest is lost to greenery and the horizon.

Dolelan Callennan wrote:

Dolelan purses his lips in annoyance at the interruption and jotts down a line common in the notebook then shows it to Alenthyn, The presence of a cult of U--- is likely related to the discovery of a powerful necromantic artifact. Names have power. Within the walls of this place hallowed to her, he won't risk drawing attention by so much as writing the name of the goddess.

Left to his own devices, Dolelan will spend 20-30 minutes writing his observations and making quick sketches of the various 'paritioners', the priest, and the church.

Though subtle at first you start to notice a pattern in the gesturing of the preacher and the barely audible grunts and moans from his parishioners. It does seem in fact that they are communicating somehow.


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
It does seem in fact that they are communicating somehow.

Fascinating! The classic model of reanimation has treated the lower forms as insensate, existing only to please the will of the power that stole them from the grave... yet here was clear evidence of two way communication amongst the rotting congregation. Dolelan redoubles his efforts to chronicle what he is seeing.

If a knowledge skill (religion?) is applicable, I will use my lore master ability (take 20) to try to decipher the communication, for a total of 32. (36 if Knowledge (arcana) ends up being the applicable skill)

If not, perhaps linguistics is applicable? 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Dolelan Callennan wrote:
Quote:
It does seem in fact that they are communicating somehow.

Fascinating! The classic model of reanimation has treated the lower forms as insensate, existing only to please the will of the power that stole them from the grave... yet here was clear evidence of two way communication amongst the rotting congregation. Dolelan redoubles his efforts to chronicle what he is seeing.

If a knowledge skill (religion?) is applicable, I will use my lore master ability (take 20) to try to decipher the communication, for a total of 32. (36 if Knowledge (arcana) ends up being the applicable skill)

If not, perhaps linguistics is applicable? 1d20+9

Knowledge Arcana would be appropriate in this situation, you know that there are various ways to bring intelligence to inanimate objects, behind you down the steps rests Gul Orne, the tree brought to life by an abundance of magic. Such applications with the proper modifications would perhaps bring about an awakening of intelligence within even a lesser undead (Assuming that you know that some of the higher forms of undead are already intelligent). You also know however that such a feat would prove counter-productive as the most common use for undead is cannon fodder. Intelligent fodder makes about as much sense as an intelligent cow or pig.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon shifts almost uncomfortably in the shadows. Waiting to figure out what the parties agenda will be.


Elven Archivist 5

As he continues his notes, he occasionally jots down cryptic notes in the margins.

heart rediscovered --> shadow demons, nonsapient animals/sentient heroes?
Demons at Orp --> undead attack, helping demons or competing for weapons?
Energy source? Heart?
ley lines to flower --> why?
dead bandits? glade? --> smart zombies at church? --> why? (theology?)

He's beginning to suspect that there may be more than one necromancer at work in the Folly, and that they may be working to different ends or outright opposing each other... but where did the Warden's mark play into all of this? What role had the Wardens played in this forest back in their heyday; who was buried in the plot they'd passed? Why were the weapons secreted away in Orp, of all places? Who had placed the wards?

As the service dragged on it seemed less and less likely that the answers would be found here. With a set of closing notes on the mixtures of magic auras that he can perceive in the area, he closes the book and tucks it away. He makes eye contact with the others still in the church, then creeps out through the doors as quietly as he can.

Is there a distinct smell in the church, or is that masked by magic as well?

Spellcraft to ID spells in effect: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (17) + 12 = 29


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Dolelan Callennan wrote:

As he continues his notes, he occasionally jots down cryptic notes in the margins.

heart rediscovered --> shadow demons, nonsapient animals/sentient heroes?
Demons at Orp --> undead attack, helping demons or competing for weapons?
Energy source? Heart?
ley lines to flower --> why?
dead bandits? glade? --> smart zombies at church? --> why? (theology?)

He's beginning to suspect that there may be more than one necromancer at work in the Folly, and that they may be working to different ends or outright opposing each other... but where did the Warden's mark play into all of this? What role had the Wardens played in this forest back in their heyday; who was buried in the plot they'd passed? Why were the weapons secreted away in Orp, of all places? Who had placed the wards?

As the service dragged on it seemed less and less likely that the answers would be found here. With a set of closing notes on the mixtures of magic auras that he can perceive in the area, he closes the book and tucks it away. He makes eye contact with the others still in the church, then creeps out through the doors as quietly as he can.

Is there a distinct smell in the church, or is that masked by magic as well?

Spellcraft to ID spells in effect: 1d20+12

The scents in the church are not masked, it's just that there are not the normal scents and smells associated with the rotting dead. There are faint odors of cedar and beeswax but no fleshy smells.

The spell effects in place are strangely enough magic circles against evil, the windows make sense but strangely the doors are warded individually. While they are close no creature would be able to approach but anyone able to open the doors pretty much makes the point of warding moot.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Mael slips silently outside, motioning to the shadows for Charon to join him. He approaches Rikka.

It appears as if our good chronicler does not find the undead to be a threat. I think we should likely be moving on when he is done scribling.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon slips out the door with Maeltheron.
In a calm tone and a frown,"I've seen enough of this place, as well."


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka sheathes her katana definitively. "Perhaps so. I'd settle for knowing what we're doing here. If he needs to question these strange creatures - do so. If we need to destroy them, let's fire the church and be done with it... What I'm not inclined to do is stand around like a target defending some academic who doesn't have the civility to explain our purpose."


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Or, when he does so, it is so long-winded that it does not make any sense. I was thinking that firing the church was a good plan as well.

He nods to Charon.

Has he always been this way?


Elven Archivist 5
Rikka wrote:
"Perhaps so. I'd settle for knowing what we're doing here. If he needs to question these strange creatures - do so. If we need to destroy them, let's fire the church and be done with it... What I'm not inclined to do is stand around like a target defending some academic who doesn't have the civility to explain our purpose."
Maeltheron wrote:
"Or, when he does so, it is so long-winded that it does not make any sense. I was thinking that firing the church was a good plan as well.

Dolelan is slightly nonplussed; he was standing right there on the hillside with them, why were they talking about him in the third person? Was it a side effect of some odd magic in the area or just an regional linguistic quirk? He clears his throat, "Madam, I have never been less than forthcoming about my purpose in coming this way. As I mentioned before, I chose to explore the glen due to its reputation as a place where the barrier between life and death is weak and necromantic energies sometimes flow freely. Our foe's use of a powerful evil talisman to bring the dead back as shadow demons made me want to investigate this region to see if he was channeling the energy of the area similar to what he did in Gulorne's clearing, and to rob him of that power if it was the case. Perhaps I suffer from a surfeit of caution, but I was not eager to wade through the swamp itself to seek such a focus and I do not recall you arguing the matter."

"What we saw in there adds more questions than answers... they were not undead of the sort that attacked us in Orp. Did you note the wards on the doors? They were wards against evil influences. Further, even the lowliest of zombies in that room were paying rapt attention to the figure at the pulpit and were clearly sharing some sort of communication or communion with it. I assure you, this is not normal behavior for the undead- tortured souls ripped from their afterlife and possessed of nothing but hatred and hunger. And did you notice the smell? Not only did some unknown agency grant them sentience, there was not a hint of decay in that room... the whole scene spoke of loving preservation and stewardship of the risen."

"The attacks on Bosh began what... a few weeks ago? Look at this church, it has plainly been here much longer than that and I doubt it is directly related to the shadow creatures. I think that to burn the chapel down before we understand what is happening in there would be a gross disservice, whatever power is involved might be just as opposed to the use of the Heart as we are (though for entirely different reasons) and be a potential ally... what do you think? Or am I being too 'long winded' to make any sense?""


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Long-winded, yes, but I am beginning to expect that is your nature. They may not truly be evil, but they are undead and unnatural. I still say burn it, but if you all want to court them, so be it. We have a Shadowkind to trail.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Dolelan Callennan wrote:
Dolelan is slightly nonplussed

Great word.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

"Burned or not burned. At this point, I'd rather get moving and find our actual prey. So either burn it down or lets move on." Almost paces angrily.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+2 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Given Dolelan said Left to his own devices, Dolelan will spend 20-30 minutes writing his observations, it seems a tad odd that he'd follow us out and manage to do so unnoticed - but whatever floats your boat...

Dolelan Callennan wrote:
Dolelan is slightly nonplussed; he was standing right there on the hillside with them, why were they talking about him in the third person? Was it a side effect of some odd magic in the area or just an regional linguistic quirk? He clears his throat, "Madam, I have never been less than forthcoming about my purpose in coming this way. As I mentioned before, I chose to explore the glen due to its reputation as a place where the barrier between life and death is weak and necromantic energies sometimes flow freely. Our foe's use of a powerful evil talisman to bring the dead back as shadow demons made me want to investigate this region to see if he was channeling the energy of the area similar to what he did in Gulorne's clearing, and to rob him of that power if it was the case. Perhaps I suffer from a surfeit of caution, but I was not eager to wade through the swamp itself to seek such a focus and I do not recall you arguing the matter."

Rikka raises an amused eyebrow, "Why would I argue? I had no issue with our course to this point." She gives the archivist a hard look, "But facing down one hundred to one hundred and fifty undead, in their own church, while they conduct a service, prayer meeting, or summon up an Abyssal Lord for all I know, while you contentedly scribble notes... I take issue with that."

Dolelan Callennan wrote:
"What we saw in there adds more questions than answers... they were not undead of the sort that attacked us in Orp. Did you note the wards on the doors? They were wards against evil influences. Further, even the lowliest of zombies in that room were paying rapt attention to the figure at the pulpit and were clearly sharing some sort of communication or communion with it. I assure you, this is not normal behavior for the undead- tortured souls ripped from their afterlife and possessed of nothing but hatred and hunger. And did you notice the smell? Not only did some unknown agency grant them sentience, there was not a hint of decay in that room... the whole scene spoke of loving preservation and stewardship of the risen."

Rikka smooths her skirts and smiles. "Perhaps it escaped your notice, but I'm not from around here and I'm not an expert on churches, religions, the peculiarities of the dead, or wards for or against evil. And all those things you just mentioned are the sort of information I would have appreciated knowing immediately after we entered the church - not as the dead pass around the collection plate. You have, I think, proved my point. While these facts were obvious to you, they were not to me. In future, I would appreciate knowing them sooner rather than later."

Dolelan Callennan wrote:
"The attacks on Bosh began what... a few weeks ago? Look at this church, it has plainly been here much longer than that and I doubt it is directly related to the shadow creatures. I think that to burn the chapel down before we understand what is happening in there would be a gross disservice, whatever power is involved might be just as opposed to the use of the Heart as we are (though for entirely different reasons) and be a potential ally... what do you think? Or am I being too 'long winded' to make any sense?"

She raises a placating hand, "I said 'IF we need to parlay with them or IF we need to destroy them'. I was stating options. Since these creatures may be peaceful or possibly helpful... what is the next step?"


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
Given Dolelan said Left to his own devices, Dolelan will spend 20-30 minutes writing his observations, it seems a tad odd that he'd follow us out and manage to do so unnoticed - but whatever floats your boat...

Oh, guess I lost track of IC time... sorry about that. You're completely right, you'd have plenty of time to chat about Dolelan.

At first Dolelan wants to fire back a quick retort and deal with this woman like he would an onerous student. Certainly she didn't have the benefit of his arcane studies or of the elves' keen senses, but surely even a human could note the smell inside the church or see the exchange between the parishioners and the 'priest'. Some people seemed to take a perverse sort of pride in remaining ignorant... but then he stops that line of thought and takes a deep breath to calm himself. If he ever found himself wandering the Sarannan wastes he might be similarly at a loss as to what is significant.

He spreads his hands abashedly, "Of course, I'll strive to keep you better informed. At this point, all I have are observation and conjecture, and vanishingly few facts to back it all up or construct some sort of sane narrative of what has happened in the Folly. Being an expert on these matters is hardly bringing me any relief! If all you want is information I could go on for hours about the building's architecture, Urgathoan mythology, and funerary customs dating back to when this whole region was still known as The Shadowglen... but we still wouldn't be any closer to stopping the attacks."

"As to our next action," Dolelan gives the bell in the church's steeple a measured glance, "we could continue our investigation of the church by sneaking in through the steeple or I could attempt to communicate with the undead. I suspect their presence is benign but I'm loathe to either attack them or leave them here without knowing for sure. You all can see the tactical situation, and we all saw how effective Ariella's magic was in fighting off the undead before... if we go in there and things don't end well are we comfortable fighting our way out?"


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

bump


Alenthyn, who had been waiting outside with the others adn had similarly watched the exchange of words with passivity, finally speaks up... if quietly. "Out of curiosity, the wards on the windows and doors... for protecting from evil. Is it possible to tell if they're there to protect from evils within or from without?" He shrugs, "And either way, Im still unsure how it helps us with our prey. Not that it doesn't.. .I just don't see the connection, yet."

REady to do whatever, but i'm a little lost on how this could help us get to the bottom of the attacks on the town -- which is what Alenthyn took a job to determine.


Elven Archivist 5

Dolelan things for a moment then ventures his opinion, "I don't know of any way to tell whether the wards were placed before the undead entered or afterward. As to how it may help ensure safety for the people of Bosh, I'm not sure either. I can only conjecture that it is unlikely that something like this occurred in isolation... it <i>must</i> be related to what is happening."


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Then we should prepare to fire the church while at the same time allowing Dolelan the opportunity to try and investigate, or even speak with the leader on the pulpit. In any event, a quick exit may be necessary. Anyone have a better idea?


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

"I'm with Maeltheron on this. Burn it and lets move on. Charon says with a blank stare at the building.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

Bump


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Dolelan, you have a few moments to investigate the inside. I will join you and watch your back, but then we burn this place. Is that okay with everyone?


Alenthyn looks concerned, "I didn't realize we had decided on burning it down." His shrug seems to say, though i'll leave that up to everyone else.

1,001 to 1,050 of 1,081 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Chapter 1: Just Beneath the Surface All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.