Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Call of the Wardens (Inactive)

Game Master Roshan

Reemergence of the Fabled Wardens


901 to 950 of 1,081 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

We're all waiting on you, Roshan? We moved on to continue exploring...


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Ariella Moiraine wrote:
We're all waiting on you, Roshan? We moved on to continue exploring...

Exploring in what direction? The path has ended, do you wade through the water? Do you turn around and head back? I saw you ask about a boat, dolelan look down the well and that's it.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron again materializes out of the shadows.

We should probably head back on the trail of the Shadow enemy.


Elven Archivist 5

Dolelan surveys the expansive bog in front of them and shakes his head. "Aye, it looks like there's nothing left of the Old Road past here..." While everyone surveys the swampy ground ahead he finds a relatively dry place to sit down and pulls out a journal and pen, then jotting down a few notes before tucking it away. "The chance of still being in that swamp at nightfall... I'd sooner try to reach the glade by the other road than brave the fen in a place like this."


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

So...what direction would you like to travel in?


Elven Archivist 5

Dolelan plans on following the path back to the split in the road and exploring the other fork, unless someone comes out loudly in favor of exploring the swamp.


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

That sounds good.

"Lets go back to the fork shall we?" Ariella asks Dolelan.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Sounds good to me.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Yoo Hoo...anybody home? Roshan?


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

Sorry, yes. I use the slickRSS extension for chrome and it's been having problems with the paizo feeds.

Turning around and heading back to the fork in the road. As you backtrack things you begin to make observations that weren't really relevant as you headed down the road in the opposite direction. As with any marshy area there is always a certain amount of standing water but it's almost as if that other fork is a little lower and most of the water is pooling into that area. Coming to the fork in the road you see that the remains are still there and you continue on.

Following the second path is again, tiresome, pulling booted feet from the muck is hardly fun but unlike the previous road got harder to traverse the further in you ventured this road gets easier. The ground gets a little more firm and even the ominous air of the closed in marsh seems to dissipate.

About a mile down the road those in the lead see something in the distance, a break that branches out to either side of the road forming a large section of flat land fenced in by a short wooden fence with posts angling in any which way looking kind of like a set of sailor's teeth.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheronapproasches the break in the trees from the flank, still trying to remain under cover, he takes a close look at the apparent settlement.

Stealth: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Ariella hangs back with Rikka and the other non-sneaky types. "Whatever could that be?" she asks in puzzlement.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon will keep an eye out and try to remain hidden.
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka shrugs, "Looks like someone has poor carpentry skills."


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

"Perhaps the carpenter is dead. I mean was dead, when he built it. Undead, that is. We should be cautious." Ariella says, furrowing her brow.


Human Sorc 1 | HP 6/6 | 12/12/10 | F+0 R+4 W+3 | Per +7 Init +2 | Spells: 1st 4/4

Rikka smiles at the idea of a town full of undead carpenters. "Let's hear the scouts' report... then perhaps I should pay a visit. See if I can find someone to build us a porch."


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

As you begin to approach you see that the wooden fence posts form the outside ring of what appears to be a pilfered Cemetery. Dozens of polished, gleaming headstones stand contrast to the field of upturned and rooted ground beneath.


"Well, that's concerning..."

The long-limbed scout bathes their immediate area with arcane fingers, detecting for any active or residual magical auras. As he does so, he scans the area with his eyes and ears.

Cast and keep Detect Magic up to search the area.
Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25.

Once his initial survey is complete, the elf begins methodically searching the grounds in and around the cemetery for any tracks or clues that could help the team determine if the graves were dug up or if the bodies uprooted themselves.

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16
Survival (tracks) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11. <--- BOOOOOOOO


Elven Archivist 5

"It looks like we know where those ghouls came from..." Dolelan murmurs a spell as well, and checks to see whether the necromantic energies they'd observed before are present here as well.

When Alenthyn returns from his survey and there's no worries about disturbing tracks or other subtle signs, Dolelan will step in to examine the headstones to see what he can learn about this cemetery. With any luck he'll be able to better orient himself by this landmark and spare himself any further stumbling around the swamp in search of the glade.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

There seems to be no one in the area for those of you on the lookout. As you get closer those of you sensitive to magical auras see traces of familiar necromancy touching each of the graves. Not particularly surprising mind you but still.

Alenthyn, you spot a single grave which seems to be untouched, it also carries the aura of necromancy but it seems a little bit different somehow. Like a different variation on the same flavor.


Alenthyn calls the group over while keeping twenty feet of distance from the grave, "This untouched grave is different than the others. The necromantic energies that surround all of the disturbed graves is... twisted... around this one."

As he speaks, he focuses his Detect Magic spell more intently on the grave, trying to determine exactly how it is different... and if it is a threat.

Spellcraft (or knowledge Arcana, the modifier is hte same) 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron approaches warily, arrow notched in his longbow.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

Beginning to interpret the faint auras flowing around the cemetery you come to realize that most of the bodies were animated with a combination of Create Undead and Animate Dead, spells used to raise dead creatures. This grave however bears the spell Rest Eternal which prevents it's spirit from returning, this doesn't necessarily make it immune to being animated but it makes it incredibly difficult to do so.


"Someone went to some effort making sure the spirit of this body wouldnt' be wrangled back into the body as undead. Whatever or whomever re-animated these other bodies didn't affect this one through the protective spell placed here." He looks for any clues as to the identity of the grave's inhabitant. "Do we think this has any bearing on our hunt?"

Is there a name on the tombstone or any other identifying marks?


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon scowls from shadows and says, "We'd be best to move to our target then deal with graves."


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

"Patience Charon, there may be an important clue here about our target. Something we don't already know."


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Alenthyn wrote:

"Someone went to some effort making sure the spirit of this body wouldnt' be wrangled back into the body as undead. Whatever or whomever re-animated these other bodies didn't affect this one through the protective spell placed here." He looks for any clues as to the identity of the grave's inhabitant. "Do we think this has any bearing on our hunt?"

Is there a name on the tombstone or any other identifying marks?

If there ever were letters carved into the face of the tombstone they've long since worn away, there is however a copper inlay that looks like it's about to break off.


The tall elf takes a few steps closer, trying to inspect the copper inlay. "Anyone recognize this symbol?"

Knowledge (Arcana) 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Knowledge (HIstory) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9.

Apparently Alenthyn does not... :(


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Knowledge (Religion) on symbol1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

Dolelan&Charon:
You both recognize this symbol as it's currently carved into your skin.

Nothing about this seems to strike a chord for you guys.


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
"Anyone recognize this symbol?"

"Yes... I believe it was associated with one of the orders of the Wardens, or perhaps the organization as a whole."

Dolelan crouches down for a closer look and pulls out a sheet of paper to take a rubbing from the surface of the tombstone, on the off chance that there were some faint impressions still legible.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Dolelan Callennan wrote:
Quote:
"Anyone recognize this symbol?"

"Yes... I believe it was associated with one of the orders of the Wardens, or perhaps the organization as a whole."

Dolelan crouches down for a closer look and pulls out a sheet of paper to take a rubbing from the surface of the tombstone, on the off chance that there were some faint impressions still legible.

The rubbing is pretty clear.


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Ariella approaches Alenthyn, asking "Dear Alen, did your keen elven eyes spot any tracks leading away from this place?"


Elven Archivist 5
Quote:
If there ever were letters carved into the face of the tombstone they've long since worn away,
Quote:
Dolelan crouches down for a closer look and pulls out a sheet of paper to take a rubbing from the surface of the tombstone
Quote:
The rubbing is pretty clear.

To be clear the rubbing was also of the tombstone's face to attempt to better read any faint impressions that might be left, along with the copper plate.


Ariella Moiraine wrote:
Ariella approaches Alenthyn, asking "Dear Alen, did your keen elven eyes spot any tracks leading away from this place?"

Roshan didn't indicate that there were, though there wasn't any feedback specifically on the tracks. Keep in mind I rolled a 1.

At mention of the Wardens, Alenthnyn racks his brain for any information he may have picked up about the organization.

Knowledge: History (about the Wardens) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

My eyes work too Ariella...

Maeltheron will check the area for tracks.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

"Of course Maeltheron, I was just impressed by Alen's abilities when we were off on our own a while back. Can you see anything?" She asks. "I certainly meant no insult." She adds hastily with a smile.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Alenthyn wrote:
Knowledge: History (about the Wardens) 1d20 + 8.

The wardens were once a peacekeeping organization though they haven't been seen in many years, not since their mysterious disappearance.

Maeltheron Timmerond wrote:

My eyes work too Ariella...

Maeltheron will check the area for tracks.

Perception: 1d20+11

There are in fact a good many tracks, many of which you assume to be those of risen bodies as they lead back to the intersection in a very zombielike lurch. There are however a set of humanoid tracks leading in the opposite direction further along the road in the opposite direction.

That sounds confusing now that I'm rereading it, to reiterate. Undead -like tracks heading the way you came from, unknown tracks heading in the way you were going.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

I believe that our quarry heads off alone in this direction. The undead track head back the way that we came.


Alenthyn gives his old friend an approving look, "Good catch." He regarsd the rest of the group, "Anything else we need to accomplish here? I'm ready to get moving."

If the group is ready to follow the new trakcs...
Perception (for threats) 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (14) + 11 = 25
Stealth 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (9) + 12 = 21.
Survival (to stay on the tracks found by Maeltheron) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28.


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

Maeltheron heads back into the shadows after a nod and smile to Alenthyn.

Stealth: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (18) + 18 = 36


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Dolelan Callennan wrote:
Quote:
If there ever were letters carved into the face of the tombstone they've long since worn away,
Quote:
Dolelan crouches down for a closer look and pulls out a sheet of paper to take a rubbing from the surface of the tombstone
Quote:
The rubbing is pretty clear.
To be clear the rubbing was also of the tombstone's face to attempt to better read any faint impressions that might be left, along with the copper plate.

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. It's too faint for a clear rubbing of anything but the copper inlay.

Alenthyn wrote:

Alenthyn gives his old friend an approving look, "Good catch." He regarsd the rest of the group, "Anything else we need to accomplish here? I'm ready to get moving."

If the group is ready to follow the new trakcs...
Perception (for threats) 1d20 + 11
Stealth 1d20 + 12.
Survival (to stay on the tracks found by Maeltheron) 1d20 + 10.

You're able to follow the tracks fairly easily, there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to hide them. The trail winds through the woods, faint light from the setting sun slowly fades until you're completely cloaked in darkness and still the trail leads on.

Are you guys going to stop now that it's night or will you press on?


Slayer/5; AC: 20; HP: 39/39; F: +4, R: +9, W:+1; Init: +6; Perc: +10

As it draws closer to dark, Maeltheron emerges from the shadows in front of Alenthyn.

Shall we look fopr an appropriate campsite for the night? I will volunteer for the second watch.


Has Alenthyn seen any defensible/hideable campsites on their hike? Stopping for the night sounds good.


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10

You're kind of in a swamp. There are no ideal campsites, the best you'll be able to find is acceptable. A patch of semi-dry earth on the roadside, if you want to backtrack both the crossroads and the cemetery had a pretty clear view of the surrounding area in all directions, you would however be walking around in the dark.


How many hours to walk back to the crossroads? (I didn't realize we were walking in failing light.)


Male Human Oracle of the Heavens 20/Horizon Walker 10
Alenthyn wrote:
How many hours to walk back to the crossroads? (I didn't realize we were walking in failing light.)

It's a couple miles away but nothing you couldn't hustle to in about half an hour. This road has been pretty easygoing.


HP 44/44; AC 20 (T 17, FF 14) +2 vs confirm criticals; CMD 22; Fort +9, Reflex +9, Will +3 ; Perception +0; Init +6; Face/Berserker; Reputation 15

Might as well just camp on the road.


Female Human Two-Weapon Fighter- 2/Rogue- 3

Charon sighs and looks at Dolelan and the rubbing. "I feel like there is a lot we don't know."

Charon nodding in agreement with Maeltheron. "It would not be a bad idea. Then we can continue following those tracks at light. I'll take a watch as well."


"Stopping for the night is smart, but I don't like the idea of stopping here. Bad visibility and I have no idea what to expect around here. Losing an hour would mean gaining a more defensible position for the night... at least it would gain us more open ground surrounding us." His tone indicates it's just a suggestion, and that he'll go with whatever the group decides ultimately. "I'm up for taking a watch, but I need a long stretch of sleep to restore my spells."

901 to 950 of 1,081 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Chapter 1: Just Beneath the Surface All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.