Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Burning Eberron

Game Master mittean


1 to 50 of 72 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>

This is a solo campaign.


Yes. Yes it is.


Male Human

Oh cool! Can I play, too?


What? No, it's solo, you can't just--


Male Human

Hey, if Ben is in, then so am I. Quit picking on my little brother.


Male Human

Can I play a werewolf or something? Or a bard? Ooh, or maybe like some kind of undead monster! That'd be sweet! :D:D:D


. . .


1 person marked this as a favorite.

Alright, Taoru, this is the mission you are currently on...the year is 988 YK. You are in Xen'drik, near the eastern coast, on a floating giant city in the clouds. Your mission is to rescue a Princess of House Kundarak who has been kidnapped. House Kundarak contracted with the Brelish government for help on this, and you were sent in. Three months later, you find yourself here: in the city of Teddenkhal.

Upon arriving, the first thing you found disturbing was there were no giants, as expected...there were, however, undead giants. You have been moving up one of the towers, heading to the prison at the top...almost a mile and a half up, and completely shrouded in clouds.

You are armed with your gear, and a necklace used for emergencies. It will teleport you immedietely back to a secret location in the upper city of Sharn, and anything you are carring, up to 500 lbs.


OOC:
Am I climbing up the outside of the tower?


TAORU:
You are climbing spiral stairs up the center of the tower. On occasion, doors branch off.


As T.A.O.R.U. moves stealthily up the stairs, he mentally reviews his mission briefing.

Ooc/Crunch:
Stealth check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16, what information do I have about the mission? What kind of resistance am I expecting, how hard should it be to get into the prison, what restrictions or stipulations have been placed on me for the mission (i.e. don't kill anyone, retrieve her at all costs, etc.)?


TAORU:
You are to rescue a Princess of House Kundarak. You do not have her name. She is a dwarf, about 80 years old, with silver eyes. She was taken from the House three years ago after an engagement at Goradra Gap in the Ironroot Mountians between Karrnath and a Cyran army, augmented by Talenta riders.

Information was recieved she was in Xen'drik, and you tracked her here, to Teddenkhal. It is supposed to be a Cyclopean ruin of the giants, being currently occupied by a tribe of Cloud giants. However, the giants are skeletons, and appear to be of the hill giant variety, with ogres and other goblinoids thrown in the mix.

The city "took off" shortly after you arrived, soaring into the clouds. You discovered the jail is likely in the top of this tower, and headed there. You have met little resistance, mostly sneaking past anyone or anything.

Retrieve her at all cost. This one mission for House Kundarak will fund the Breland war machine for over four months all by itself. Killing is optional, but she must be brought in alive.


T.A.O.R.U. continues up the stairs.


Ooc:
T.A.O.R.U. pauses to draw out one of his bandoliers and strap it around his torso. This doesn't seem like a situation where he'll be inconspicuous anyway.


You enter the door you know leads to the prison level at the top of the tower.

Ahead of you a 15 ft. wide hall runs for 60 ft., it's drab gray walls bleaching color out of the world. At the end of the hall is the top of a staircase, descending back towards you. A railing wraps around the edge, preventing you from falling over the ledge of the staircase.

On your left are five cell-doors made of heavy steal, and sized for humanoids. The second door appears to have been blown off, and leans against the railing of the stairs 5 ft. away, bent over it. The fifth door has been slid back, and lies open.

On the right are thick steel bars, separating the last five feet of width in this hall from the rest, and running the length of the hall. Three exits lie beyond the bars...a doorway directly to your right with a flickering torch in the room beyond, showing the bottom of a stairwell. Another 30 ft. down, leading into a 'control' room with widows that looks out on the walkway, a lit lamp over a table revealing the silhouette of a large blood splatter on the window. And a hallway that leads around the control room to the right, into darkness.

Three skylights lie in the ceiling, which is 40 ft. Above you. Ropes dangle from three bleak chandeliers beneath them, connecting all three. Dull gray light attempts to illuminate the hall.

Water can be heard dripping in e distance.


T.A.O.R.U. moves forward cautiously, listening carefully for clues as to what might lie ahead. He approaches the wreckage of the shattered cell door and peers inside.

Ooc:
Stealth check 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 , Perception check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15


The dirty cell is completely barren, except for a stone slab used for a cot extending out of the wall, six inches off the ground. The slab is not quite wide enough to fit a man confortably, and the floor is covered in generations of vile. You are thankful you lack an olfactory sense.

Crunch:
Perception check 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (19) - 5 = 14. Stealth check 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (18) + 19 = 37.


T.O.A.R.U. moves on, slipping down the hallway to the other open cell door.

Crunch:
Stealth 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15


This rooom is like the other, nine feet deep, six feet wide, but has a latrine receptacle, which is broken off the wall.

You hear something growl deeply from behind you, it's purring throat reverberating like a sonic blast after the silence of this hall.


T.A.O.R.U. whirls, snatching a tanglefoot bag from his bandolier and bracing himself for an attack.

Crunch:
Swift or move action (see discussion) to draw a tanglefoot bag, and Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Behind you, through the bars, in the window of the 'control room', a shadow moves out of your view in front of the flickering light. Silence, except for the pounding of the drops of water, follows.


Taoru slowly replaces the tanglefoot bag, scanning the area for other possible threats. If nothing is immediately apparent, he turns back to the closed doors and attempts to open each one.

Crunch:
Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25


You hear something moving, but can't quite tell what, or how, or from where, although you assume it is related to the shadow. You can't tell what caused the shadow, or even what size it was.

The doors are in a locked state, solid metal locked in their tracks.

T.A.O.R.U.:
You do know this is not the wing your quarry will likely be kept. Just in case you care, lol.


Taoru eyes the shadowy doorway of the control room warily, but continues moving, heading to the end of the hall and down the stairwell there.

Ooc:
Ok, I'm assuming that I can't squeeze through the bars or anything, so the way forward is going to be down the stairs at the end of the hall.


T.A.O.R.U.:
Correct. I'll post again in a minute.


T.A.O.R.U.:
...or tonight...


The stairway is 15 ft. long and drops a level. There is a 5 ft. wide, 35 ft. long opening in the ceiling, so those on the level above could see down to this level. You can see all the way to the sky-lights.

There are more cell doors on this level, five to each side. One door on each side is behind the decent of the stairs, one is even, and the other three continue down the length of the hall. A bent iron bars door lies in the middle of the floor, likely from the room above that had it's metal door blown off as well.

On your right, the second and third cell doors are open. The others all have their steel doors back, but their iron bars shut. On your left, only the second door is open. The rest have their bars closed. A light burns in the second room on your left, and is the only light on this level.


Taoru begins checking the rooms, beginning with the second door on the left side.

Crunch:
So . . . There's a hole in the ceiling? How did I not notice that when I was on the floor above? Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16


T.A.O.R.U.:
There isn't a hole...its the open area where the staircase goes. Think of it as a...balcony on the main floor...a walkway, 5 ft. wide on the left side, a walkway, 5 ft. wide on the right behind the bars...the center is open, and is 5 ft. wide, with the staircase starting on the far end. The open area is 50 ft. long, with a 5 ft. area on the end near where you entered, and another at the top of the stairs on the far end. Stupid complex descriptions in my brain, lol.

I guess I didn't get that description quite right in the first post of this room. Sorry. :)


You see another stone slab cot on the right side of the wall in this room, an eight inch corner of it broken off and lying on the floor. It is the same size as the cells in the floor above, and the setup is identical. Roots and weeds claw through a few cracks in the floor where it has bubbled up as if something tunneled under it, and moss is growing in the far corner. A mounted bracket in the wall holds a small flame in a cage, lighting the room.

A circular tunnel has been bored into the back wall, about 3 ft. in diameter, and 3 ft. off the ground. The tunnel runs through rock about ten feet, twisting to the left and then straightening out again. There is light coming from the room beyond, where you can see a desk sitting in front of a bank of windows, looking out into another hall.

Water trickles from the hole to the moss on the ground. It has stained the stone wall grayish green from the minerals in the water, and the mildew and tiny toadstools growing in it.

You believe you see a shadow in the far hall shift. You can't tell if something there moved, or if it was a trick of the flickering light.

Crunch:
Perception check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13, vs. Stealth check 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (17) + 19 = 36.


Taoru reaches into his chest compartment and draws out one of his sunrods and strikes it on his leg, igniting it. He moves cautiously to the edge of the hole, tossing the sunrod through it towards the shadow in the hall.

Crunch:
Ranged attack roll 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12, -4 if you want to apply the improvised ranged attack penalty. Stealth 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11, Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


T.A.O.R.U.:
The shadow is in the hall outside the room at the end of the tunnel. You see it through glass. The light source is in the room. Still want to chuck the sunrod?


Edit: Taoru checks the other two open cells.


Each cell has the same basic layout as the ones previous. Only the detritus and wreckage changes.


Into the creepy little hole it is, then. Taoru returns to the cell with the tunnel, puts his bandolier back in its compartment to avoid accidentally crushing any of the reagents, and begins crawling through the hole.


You crawl through the tunnel, the rock wet and soft beneath you with moss and mold several inches deep. Suddenly, you hear a deep growl by your feet.

As you start to react, the tunnel suddely comes alive, moving up around you. The moss, lichen, and mold seems to expand, filling the tunnel, engulfing you in it. You struggle, pushing against it, and bucking through the tunnel the rest of the way, spilling out onto the ground of the far room in a heap, but keeping yourself from being engulfed.

At the same moment, the shadow you thought you saw earlier rears up. It is definitely real. It moves quickly down the hall to the right, away from you.

T.A.O.R.U.:
I rolled your Reflex save for you, and gave you no option to make an AoO as you were FF, for story purposes. :) You do not recognize the creature. You are prone and still considered FF. Initiative, please.

Crunch:
T.A.O.R.U. Intelligence check to identify the monster 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 vs DC 22. Reflex save to avoid being engulfed 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 DC 14. T.A.O.R.U. is exposed to fungal rot, but is immune to disease. Initiative 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2.


Taoru scrambles to his feet, whirling to face the mouth of the "tunnel".

Crunch:
Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


As you stand, the slimy, mossy mass lashes out at you, but you duck under it. Gray slime covers your body, but does not seem to have an adverse effect.

Crunch:

- ROUND 1 -
~Initiatives~
T.A.O.R.U. 8
Slime mold 2

The Slime mold gets an AoO on T.A.O.R.U. as he stands from prone using it's slam 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 vs. Defense 15 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6 damage, but misses.


"Organics. Disgusting."

Taoru launches himself at the abomination, throwing his weight behind a vicious right hook.

Crunch:
Unarmed Strike 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Your punch disappears into the mass of smile and mold as it writhes. It attempts to yank you forward, engulfing your arm, but you pull it free.

T.A.O.R.U.:
Your turn. Round 2.

Crunch:
The Slime mold takes 9 damage; HP: 48/57. It slams T.A.O.R.U. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13 vs. defense 15, missing. End Round 1, begin Round 2.


Taoru stomps down on the squelching mess and reaches for his chest compartment, drawing out his bandolier again.

Crunch:
Unarmed Strike 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23; damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9; drawing something from a compartment is a move action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.


You stomp on the mass, and slime shoots out from under your foot. The thing slams into your thigh hard, but it doesn't seem to do much to your plating.

T.A.O.R.U.:
End Round 2. Your turn. Round 3.

Crunch:
The Slime mold takes 9 points of damage; HP: 39/57. It slams T.A.O.R.U. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 damage, which is all absorbed by his DR7/armor.


From the bandolier in his hand, Taoru draws a vial of acid and, clutching it in his clenched fist, slams his hand down through the creature and against the floor, crushing the vial as he does.

Crunch:
Unarmed Strike 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24; damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6; acid vial damage 1d6 ⇒ 4; Apply whatever penalties you feel are applicable.


The creature shrinks back from the attack, as the acid burns both you and it. You can tell that you are punishing this creature with your strong blows. It rushes and slams into your chest plate, but does nothing more than push you back a few inches and cover you in guck.

T.A.O.R.U.:
You take 4 points of acid damage. End Round 3. Start Round 4. Your turn.

Crunch:
The Slime mold takes 10 damage; HP: 29/57. It slams T.A.O.R.U. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18 for 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 damage, that is absorbed by his DR 7/armor.


If Taoru could grin, he would. Still holding the bandolier, he begins stomping on the disgusting blob with abandon.

Crunch:
HP updated; Unarmed Strike 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11; damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


The creature lurches hard as you stomp, and withdraws into it's hole for a moment. Suddenly it lurches out again, it's movements more desperate, as it attempts to engulf you.

T.A.O.R.U.:
The creature attempts to engulf you. You may resist, taking a reflex save, or take an AoO, but no save.

Crunch:
The Slime mold takes 4 damage; HP: 25/57, and becomes bloodied. It gains an Action point. It attempts to engulf T.A.O.R.U.


Taoru attempts to slip to one side as the thing launches itself at him.

Crunch:
Reflex save 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11, add a Hero point for total of 16. Roll for Luck points 1d6 ⇒ 1


The mass swarms around you, pinning your limbs and squeezing you tightly. You feel your joints and plates pop and bend painfully, but you struggle heroically and clatter to the ground, barely evading it's grasp.

T.A.O.R.U:
End Round 3, start Round 4. Your turn.


"Not this time, muck-bucket." Taoru scrambles to his feet before viciously stomping down on the sludge pile again.

Crunch:
You never specifically said I should treat myself as prone after the successful Reflex save, so take that how you will. Either a move action to stand and a standard attack, or just a standard action attacking and a standup as fluff. Unarmed Strike 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10; damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9.


It stretches forth to slam you again, but you backhand it as you stand from kneeling, knocking a clump of it away. A deeply threatening growl emanates from behind you in the hall.

T.A.O.R.U.:
End Round 4, start Round 5. Your turn.

Crunch:
The Slime mold takes 9 damage; HP: 16/57. It slams T.A.O.R.U. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 , vs. Defense 15, missing.

1 to 50 of 72 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Burning Eberron All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.