Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Brevoy Southern Reclamation Project - BS RP (Kingmaker) (Inactive)

Game Master fnord72

High fantasy kingmaker campaign. Expect modified kingdom building and an emphasis on the social and political aspects of creating and running a kingdom.


1 to 50 of 665 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

A fine powdering of snow covers the ground, results of a late spring cold snap. Several clusters of people have braved the chill to stand around small braziers. Low conversations emenate from each group, unexpectedly subdued in their tones, no doubt to the two slowly thawing bodies hanging from crow's cages. Placards labeled them as brigands apprehended for pillaging and rape, and murder.

Snippets of conversation can be heard throughout the green.

"I heard those two work for that self styled Stag Lord someplace off to the east."

"'tis true! I heard it from Mishka, she heard it from a friend of her brother's best friend! The Lebeda's lost an entire caravan and they were the ones that pushed the King to allow this fiasco."

"This is just another trick of those thrice damned Surtova's. They need something to keep the people pacified!"
SHH! Keep your voice down, that talk'll get you hanging up next to them!"

In the center of the green before Restov's town hall a large tent has been erected. A table sits at one end with a scribe furiously scribbling notes into a register. Before the table stands Captain Nikolaos GRevaldo, head of the Restov guard. He is flanked by two Aldori Swordsmen. Further in the tent, half hidden in the flickering shadows of more braziers, sits Lord Mayor Ioseph Sellemius. A table at his side holds several rolled parchments.

One by one, several people approach the table, parchments clutched in their hands. For most they receive a shake of the head and a wave off as their documents are rejected. A few receive scrolls from the dwindling pile next to Lord Mayor Sellemius.


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

I assume I am one of the chosen.

Lyster looks down at the parchment scroll he now holds in his hands. He breaths a sigh of relief.

At last. The night moon now falls and the sun of a new dawn rises on my heart. Too long have bandits and brigands robbed those who sought a new life. Too long. And mine shall be the bolt that pierces the chaos and brings humanity back to a rugged frontier.

He glances about at the others who seem to have been chosen. Out of all those there, the young lady stood out from the rest.

Hmm... white hair... that's not exactly common. As for everyone else, they certainly look like a colorful group...

He stands at the ready, awaiting instructions.


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

It would seem so
The chill air clouds the young man's breath with each exhalation. Tension obvious throughout his frame his hands clench in fists, the right about a scroll identical to Lyster's, the left about the hilt of a Sword so long he has to have it slung upside-down on it's baldric.

Well mother, this is what you wanted. It may be what killed you. Milani will it's for the best.

Through obvious exertion of will he forces the tension from his hands, loosening their grip though keeping hold on both still. From there he performs such exercises as space & the venue will allow him, each movement shaking loose some small knot until he is finally at something resembling ease.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari's gloved hands tremble as they clutch at what she assumed must be her note of introduction. The missive is scrawled on parchment folded in upon itself and sealed with wax stamped with some manner of seal that she did not recognize. Were it a hawk, or... some manner of magical beast? It is not the first time that Kari's amber eyes have attempted to make sense of the design.

"Observe and report," the chorus swelled in her memory.

Wearing not but the rude smock, Kari rocked in the rude chair she had been dumped in, set off balance by her still bound hands. The hooded figure lifted her by her chin, gloved hands digging into her throat, forcing her broken and sore skin over the wood and her own hands painfully before it reached and pulled them through the open back.

"You are loathsome," the voice growled as Kari's world swam with pain. A bowl of broth was set on the table in front of her, its swirling motion matching the nausea rising in her belly from the overwhelming stench of filth and rot. "Do not look at the bowl," it snapped. "You will observe and report."

The scabbed wounds on Kari's wrists ache considerably. The cold seeps straight to her bones and the seal fails to hold her attention. Kari forces herself to acknowledge the thawing bodies in the cages where they had died. She cannot not help but wonder if those charges were true, or simply convenient. Rapists disgust Kari, in her experience there were far too many women willing to lay with a man for any number inducements to take one by force.

Another document rejected. Kari's stomach begins to roil. She has not been able to keep down anything stronger than sweet bread since her release, and even then morsels at a time.

The voice droned while the broth cooled. Instructions, of a sort. Only the tenor of the voice, or was that Kari's breath? as she sagged ever closer to the nourishment seemed to move in the room. It might have been a figment speaking in her ear, her fever was so high.

"The courier will leave a parcel. You will dress and attend the function. You will observe and report."

Kari slumped forward and her head collided with the table, spilling the broth. It was cooler than she would have thought. Had it ever been warm? Groaning in misery, she lapped at the liquid and tasted the dirt from the table. It might have been the sweetest meal she had ever eaten.

"You are filth."

And lest she mistake the alternative, Kari's eyes dart to the lads in the cages as she steps forward in line.

Observe and report.

The show of force seemed... excessive. That the Captain of the guard was conscripted to make a display showed that the arrangement had been negotiated at much higher levels than Kari might have anticipated. And the Lord Mayor himself? The strings of his puppet master must be taut indeed that he should officiate at such a function. But, there, she corrects herself, and focuses on the scribe. Kari glanced about nervously for any hint of conversation that he might be recording and hears nothing. Is he recording the applicants?

Kari moves forward again, near brushing against the captain as her ankle rolls and she staggers momentarily. She flushes and pushes her trophies back from her neck, sparing the man a smile and a deferential nod like a salute before she places the missive on the table. The moments of examination seem the longest in her life, there beneath the bandits in her all too former position, and her lungs burn with the effort to retain her breath when she is directed to the Lord Mayor's table. The next moments are a blur, whereby she collects the rolled parchment and finds herself among a growing host of others.


Male Gnome Bard 1, hp 9/9, AC 17, (T13/FF15), Init +2, Perc +4. F+1/R+4/W+2

Gizsmith looked down at the down at his writ of exploration and travel. He hadn't wanted to chance a look at what the minor noble (a regular patron at one of the finer inns that Gizsmith frequented) had written on his letter of patronage, so he couldn't be sure that the noble had truly believed his self-professed qualifications for the duty (Bluff 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25, but the letter must have been favorable.

Or perhaps the Mayor had just been so taken with him, he couldn't help but assign Gizsmith this duty (Diplomacy 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21. Either way, it was his now and he couldn't help but be excited. He had never been a surveyor before, but he thought they might get a special hat. All the best jobs got special hats.

Seeing other people holding their writs, he wander over to them.

"So, do any of you know where they give out the hats?"


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

"Sorry friend, but I've already got mine. Seems like you missed it." Lyster says with a small grin showing barely beneath his beard.

"But tell you what, you show me something that'll make me proud of you and you can wear mine... though you might want to go and wash it first."


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

I will be away attending a ceremony and concert. I'll be back tomorrow around noon. Hope I don't miss anything!


Male Human Paladin 1; hp 11/11; AC 16, t12, ff14; Init +2; Perc -1; F+3, R+2, W+1(+2 vs fear)

Erastil has granted me favor. This is the way he would be repaid.. Isn't it?

Salvator glanced uneasily about himself, the writ of exploration clutched tightly in his hands.

I could swear to Erastil, this writ seems heavier than any mere scrap of parchment I have held before.

His face was held low, his gaze to the earth below, his features illuminated only by the shimmer of light off the snow. A smile crept into his features.

But with the strength I've been granted, this weight is nothing. Carry on, always.

A new spring in his step, Salvator strode closer to Lyster and Gizsmith, twinkle in his blue eyes to match the snow.

"You two are others who received a writ, I assume? A pleasure to meet you, I am Salvator."


Male Gnome Bard 1, hp 9/9, AC 17, (T13/FF15), Init +2, Perc +4. F+1/R+4/W+2

Greetings Salvator. I see that you got a hat too. I guess I must have missed that line up. Oh well.

Gizsmith sighs, but brightens agains almost immediately.

So, I guess we're all supposed to be working together, or is this one of those things where the first one to survey the area wins? Because that would be more exciting.

Gizsmith scans the writ and sighs again.

I guess not. Anyways, I'm Gizsmith Glitterbyte, gentleman adventurer.

He accentuates the appellation with a flourish and a burst of coloured confetti (casts prestidigitation)

Pleasure to meet you.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari Bluff 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Kari's amber eyes narrowed when the colorful gnome spoke of hats, but when Gizsmith Glitterbyte created an illusion of his namesake about himself on the grim tableau her full lips quirk with irritation. Hyper aware of her mortality, she schools her features to perfect placidity after the initial reaction.

"Kari," she introduces herself. "La's name me 'Cat's heat'. Weren't no gentlemen," she shrugs.


Half-Elf Rogue 1; hp 10/10; AC 17, t13, ff14; Init +3; Perc +7; F+2, R+5, W+1

A burst of confetti catches Aedon's attention. Unsurprisingly, he sees a gnome with brilliant red hair beneath the colorful explosion.

He needs a hat in this weather... Aedon thinks to himself.

Aedon's eyes narrow slightly as he sees several people around the gnome holding writs of exploration. Taking a moment, Aedon lets his gaze wander over the assorted explorers.

Magical gnome, tall soldier with white hair, shorter woman with white hair - maybe relatives? shorter human with martial training, older man, possibly woodsman?

Moving briskly, Aedon flexes his fingers to get his blood flowing into his hands. As he approaches the group, he intentionally allows his boots to impact heavily on the ground so as to announce his presence. Moving into their view, he stops a few feet away, "I beg your pardon for the interruption, but it seems we are to be companions."

Aedon executes a deep bow to the group, "My name is Aedon Tellefleur, a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

Aedon is currently wearing a long leather coat and a wide-brimmed hat. The collar of the coat is turned up in the back to ward off the cold. His gloves and boots are both made of heavy leather, well-used with marks and scuffs consistent with those received from frequent horseriding.


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

"I see no further writs on the table in front of our good Lord Mayor. T'would seem it is to be the six of us." Rufus' states as if in introduction. "I would hope at least one of you has a hidden talent for woodscraft as mine is sadly lacking, otherwise this enterprise seems doomed to failure from the start & I would rather we NOT fail." He continues, a bemused smile hopefully taking the edge from his words. "The coin my writ is purchased with can only be re-payed by success I fear."

"Rufus Ynais'son Fitzroi, of the Sinister Fitzroi's." He addresses himself to you, smirking slightly.
Knowledge: nobility DC 10

Spoiler:
Fitzroi is a common surname for illegitimate children of Royal lineage.

Knowledge: nobility DC 15
Spoiler:
Sinister is also an Heraldric term meaning 'from the left', frequently used to indicate the arms of a bastard. Rufus is making a joke at his own expense.

"Until recently I was squire to Lord Parsal of Liberthane, some weeks travel south of here. As I had just won my spurs, I was returning to Restov when I was made aware of a death in the family..." He trails off, realizing he was revealing personal aspects of his life history to effectively complete strangers.
"And you, mademoiselle?" He queries of Kari, attempting both to present himself as something other than an uncultured hedge knight and to direct attention away from himself.
Sense Motive DC 10
Spoiler:
Though it is also likely an indication of a healthy young man's interest in an attractive young woman.
I'm giving him a slight French accent as I imagine Galtans having one & he has been a squire to an expatriate Galtan noble for about a decade. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes as far as applying skill DC's to know/notice these things. I just figured they wouldn't be that hard to figure out if you wanted to, but if you didn't care you wouldn't care.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari untrained Kn. Nobility 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Kari untrained Sense Motive 1d20 ⇒ 15

Kari's amber eyes search the well spoken youth, giving the air of appraising him. She does not the significance of his name, but then, she knows the significance of very few names outside the Gronzi. Artyom had spoken of a world beyond her wood, a world where Goodmen and wives had very different struggles.

"I 'ave experience enough with wood," Kari teases lewdly. "How might 'ah be of service, Ser?"


Half-Elf Rogue 1; hp 10/10; AC 17, t13, ff14; Init +3; Perc +7; F+2, R+5, W+1

Aedon considers Rufus' words about his lineage Knowledge (nobility) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 . Interesting, not one for self-pity, apparently committed, seems solid, he thinks.

Sense Motive 20 + 5 = 25

Watching the two flirting together, No, definitely not related... at least, I hope not....


Lol, you guys have been ahead of me in the introductions, so consider this as just prior to introducing yourselves to each other.

Only a few scrolls were left on the table when a tall young Aasimar woman, comely features, an envious and lustful muscular yet buxom and curvy build with pale skin, her face strikes a cord with her platinum eyes and braided golden blonde hair that ends near her waist. Unnoticed before, a non-descript male human, dressed in plain woodsman clothes stands to the side fo the crowd. The Aasimar girl doesn't see as he nods to the Captain of the guard.

As she stands before the table presenting her documents, the two Aldori swordsman shift in alertness and move to flank the girl. "These documents are not authentic. Guards! Search her!"

Before she has an opportunity to react she is seized and briskly patted down. A small gleam of silver catches the eyes as something falls to the ground. Those standing in line can see that it is a small pendant shaped like a rampant stag.

"Just as we expected! You're a bandit sympathizer, and under arrest for crimes against the Brevoy crown. Take her away!" The Guard Captain gestures off and a squad of city guard lead her off. Teh Aldori swordsmen resume their position to either side of the table, eyeing the rest of the hopefuls.

"Next!"

Taking stock, you realize that several other people took the opportunity of the confusion to step out of line and disappear into the crowd.

Having not thought to count, it appears that something like twenty odd people were handed scrolls, while several of the early ones had left the green together, most had wandered off in one's and two's.

Speculation was rampant throughout the green on how many would survive the summer. Several notes were passed as wagers were offered and accepted.

Directions have been provided to a small outpost to the north of the area designated on your charter. You can see several people have already headed off on their own charters.

[ooc]Now is the time to complete your character sheet, make any last minute purchases, and move out. The climate of Restov is cold from a late spring freeze.

Knowledge: local DC 10/geography DC 20:
The trip to the outpost is expected to take four days. There are stops available at Nivakta's Crossing a day out from Restov and Fort Serenko, another day from Nivatka's. The outpost is two days beyond that.


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

Knowledge (geography): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

"Right then... no sense in standing here like some lunkheaded buffoons."

He turns to the rest of the people still standing.

"Strength in numbers eh? As for being good within the woodlands, I ain't too shabby but my real strength is in the hills and mountains! Nevertheless, I'll follow you all wherever you go."


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

May we take 10 on our knowledge checks? If so, we can automatically succeed at the knowledge: local.

Knowledge: local DC 10 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19, of course on a DC 10 with a +6 modifier the odds are in my favor...

Did we need to make a Perception check to notice the silver stag pendant? I'm guessing not but would appreciate confirmation so I'm not assuming erroneously... For that matter, may I make a Knowledge: local check to recall if there really is a growing Bandit problem? If the Knowledge check is allowed: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18, for whatever it is worth. Also, we are part of the twenty-odd, yes? Are the others already organized? Are any of them recognizable?

Genuine, or a display? If a display, for whose benefit? Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 to try & decide. (Man, the dice really like me today, I hope this doesn't mean they are going to suck once combat starts.) Rufus isn't Paranoid or anything, oh no, not him! Hey! This also goes a ways towards explaining the tension I described him having initially, sweet!


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari untrained Kn. Local 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 Kari untrained Kn. Geography 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
well, that's appropriate for the character, I suppose not really liking my luck with the die roller so far. *sigh*

"Look ye nae further fra a scout," Kari says with unwavering confidence, and touches slender fingers to the trophies entwined in her hair. "If ye will 'ave a lass among thine band."


Half-Elf Rogue 1; hp 10/10; AC 17, t13, ff14; Init +3; Perc +7; F+2, R+5, W+1

As the last writ is handed out and the assembly begins to break up, Aedon looks at the directions on his charter Knowledge (geography) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 but nothing seems familiar.

Turning to Lyster, "I agree. With the bandit activity in the area, traveling in numbers is a wise decision."

As Kari chimes in, Aedon nods in agreement, "If you want to be our scout, you've got my vote for now, 'lass' or not."

Looking at the rest of the group, Aedon continues, "I have a few more items to purchase, then I plan to get a good night's rest in a real bed. What say we meet at the Northern Gate at 7 bells tomorrow morning to begin our journey?"

I'm guessing that 1) it's relatively late in the day to start the trip - especially in cold weather, and 2) something like the "Northern Gate" exists and would be a good meeting place


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

"Ay, I expect we should rest up and meet in the morning. This venture can't be taken lightly my friends. In any case I welcome anyone who needs it to join me in my tent."


Male Gnome Bard 1, hp 9/9, AC 17, (T13/FF15), Init +2, Perc +4. F+1/R+4/W+2

Gizsmith takes a moment to think if he had ever seen anything like the silver stag medallion before.
Knowledge(local)1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Lyster Valdis wrote:


"Strength in numbers eh? As for being good within the woodlands, I ain't too shabby but my real strength is in the hills and mountains! Nevertheless, I'll follow you all wherever you go."

"Strength in numbers indeed my friend. The river kingdoms themselves are lousy with bandits. I imagine the wilds are going to be infested with them"

Having formally been one of those bandits, I don't think Gizsmith needs a knowledge check to know that ;)

Knowledge(local) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

"If I recall correctly, the outpost is a scant 4 days travel away, through mostly civilized lands. I agree we should leave on the morrow. I will see you all at the city gates at dawn. I must see about a hat."


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

"Northern? Oh, you have your directions turned about. We won't be going North. The outpost is South & West of here. It will likely take us about four days unless I have forgotten something, or we run into trouble. There should be two places along the way we can rest and re-provision. Nivatka's Crossing is only a day's travel from here. Fort Seranko is a day further on. Our destination is some two days beyond." At the bemused looks directed towards him. "You- Traders gossip. When they have nothing else to gossip about, they gossip about trade routes. We will want the Sellen Gate, it sounds better than simply the Southern Gate. They named it for the river that is the main trade route through the River Kingdoms. Which got their name from it as well."
Pausing a moment as the others absorbed his words, Rufus offered. "Shall we meet at the Sellen Gate at dawn then?"

Edit: Ninja'd by Gizsmith. Pesky, quick-witted Gnomes

I have my gear purchased, also both my mount & the guard dog are written up and on my sheet.


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

"Sellen Gate sounds fine my friends. I'll prepare everything tonight and meet up with you all tomorrow."


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari licks her lips as Glitter departs, and acknowledges Lyster's statement with a nod. "It were kind of ye ta offer," she says, "but if I may, 'fore I quit ta market, might one of ye 'ave an animal to haul mah gear? A scout i' only sa good as 'er ability ta creep, an' nae wi' spades an' pot lids janglin' fra her hip."

Kari's eyes widen as the bright headed Rufus prattles about loquaciously and wonders what manner of title he believes he carries to speak above the band. It appears as though Rufus has not yet discerned that they should envy the shapely young woman her likely swift execution.

"A-aye, the Sellen gate," she agrees. "Expect me 'fore first light."


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14
Kari of the Wylds wrote:

Kari licks her lips as Glitter departs, and acknowledges Lyster's statement with a nod. "It were kind of ye ta offer," she says, "but if I may, 'fore I quit ta market, might one of ye 'ave an animal to haul mah gear? A scout i' only sa good as 'er ability ta creep, an' nae wi' spades an' pot lids janglin' fra her hip."

Kari's eyes widen as the bright headed Rufus prattles about loquaciously and wonders what manner of title he believes he carries to speak above the band. It appears as though Rufus has not yet discerned that they should envy the shapely young woman her likely swift execution.

"A-aye, the Sellen gate," she agrees. "Expect me 'fore first light."

"Well, my horse might be able to help."


Male Human Paladin 1; hp 11/11; AC 16, t12, ff14; Init +2; Perc -1; F+3, R+2, W+1(+2 vs fear)

Salvator had in silence weathered much of the conversation, a worried look taking grip on his face. Nervousness had prevented him from saying a word.

Oh, this isn't good, I can hardly understand a syllable that she speaks.

Tipping his hat attempting to shield his face, he spoke to no one in particular.

"I'll take my leave and acquire traveling gear."

He attempted to make his departure, if unstopped.

Finished purchases. My character can carry a couple dozen pounds of stuff in his sack if someone needs him to.


No specific roll was needed for the pendant, as it was background flavoring. Though I should have clarified that she was identified as a sympathizer to the bandit group following some guy calling himself the stag lord. Taking 10 on these checks just means you took the time to hang out long enough to overhear the information, or went around asking enough questions. Those DC's came from the core by the way, I expected them to be lower.

On a side note, and I will add this to the house rule section, I believe that some knowledge rolls require that you have some source to reference, if you are just going off memory (like for rare or exotic creatures) you just may not be able to recall everything you would want to know. Having a library to reference, and taking the time to use it, is a different matter. This is open for discussion, on that page.

Your group is part of the 20 odd that received scrolls, however the others have already dispersed. You may, if you wish, attempt to locate them, or catch up to them.

Gizsmith, I'm okay with you having history in the River Kingdoms, just so long as it's in areas that are not part of the first few adventures.

Everyone may assume that Restov is well stocked with items from Core and APG at listed prices.


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14
DM Fnord wrote:

On a side note, and I will add this to the house rule section, I believe that some knowledge rolls require that you have some source to reference, if you are just going off memory (like for rare or exotic creatures) you just may not be able to recall everything you would want to know. Having a library to reference, and taking the time to use it, is a different matter. This is open for discussion, on that page.

Will this affect my Monster Lore Inquisitor ability?


Half-Elf Rogue 1; hp 10/10; AC 17, t13, ff14; Init +3; Perc +7; F+2, R+5, W+1

Aedon listens to the others, giving a short laugh as he hears Rufus explain the correct direction. "Fine, m'lord, the Southern... excuse me... Sellen Gate it is!"

Watching Salvator take his leave, Aedon tips his hat the remaining group, "I'll be heading off as well. Everyone fare well until the morning."


Male Gnome Bard 1, hp 9/9, AC 17, (T13/FF15), Init +2, Perc +4. F+1/R+4/W+2
DM Fnord wrote:


On a side note, and I will add this to the house rule section, I believe that some knowledge rolls require that you have some source to reference, if you are just going off memory (like for rare or exotic creatures) you just may not be able to recall everything you would want to know. Having a library to reference, and taking the time to use it, is a different matter. This is open for discussion, on that page.

Couldn't you just increase the the DCs for information you think is obscure? Normally, you can't make untrained Knowledge checks without the aid of a library, the exception being Bards. Making some information only available with the use of a library, where you can always take 20, seems to lessen the value of putting ranks into knowledge skills. Just my two cents.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

With Lyster's pledge, Kari gives a nod low enough to be considered a salute. "Thank ye, kindly," she says, "An' til the marrow."

Kari slips off a ways, and into any pocket of shadow large enough to conceal herself so that she may watch for Rufus's exit, and perhaps follow. His mannerisms were not unlike Artyom's, at least, those he displayed for her in his grand seduction. Artyom's high cultured ways of using spells to keep his body and hair clean and facing away when he pissed had reminded Kari of her former life in the village, when lice and fleas had been considered pests. Kari might have smiled at her ignorance save for the poor bastards sentenced to starve to death in the gallows so that Lord Surtova could make his grand statement about banditry. Lice had ceased to be considered a pest when Kari learned why Limpin' Pete had hate in his eyes when he leered at her, before Artyom dashed Pete's brains in with a spade when he had tried to put his rotting meat into her. Only pest greater than syphilis is Artyom, Kari estimates, and trains her eyes to distinguish Rufus's movements again.

She must know...

Kari Stealth (Hide) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Lyster, I hope 53 pounds of gear is not too much for your horse. I have enough dosh to get a pack animal, but I didn't want to saddle the party with leading one while Kari is up front scouting.


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

Libraries are also probably going to be hard to find where we're going until we build some I'm guessing.

As for my horse, it can easily handle that. It's not wearing anything.


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

Between all of us, we have two horses and a guard dog it sounds like (yes, I purchased a guard dog, until we make it to higher levels it is almost as effective a combatant as one of the bards & much more easily replaced; plus it can help guard our campsite & it provides an extra body to help keep us warm at night! It may be the best 50 gold I ever spent...) another pack animal won't hurt, but it also might not really be necessary... On the other hand, I probably shouldn't allow my horse to be overladen (warhorse, not pack horse).

Rufus nods amiably at the others & turns back towards the table, specifically to the scribe as he is gathering his kit & case. Knowledge: local to determine if I recognize him 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11, not really enough to recognize a minor functionary, darn! Oh well, the dice were going to stop liking me eventually. "Pardon me cadet, would you happen to know how many charters were assigned?" I'm trying to butter him up by implying he is on his way to becoming an actual swordlord (here's hoping it doesn't blow up in my face) Diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9. Gah! It blew up in my face! As the scribe's face grows increasingly stonier, Rufus' smile departs as well. His countenance cooling to match that of the functionary, Rufus continues. "I see I have impeded your sunlight & on such a clear day too. Well then, let us trouble each other no more." Nodding respectfully to the Aldori Guard Captain & the other Aldori, tapping his brow to the Lord Mayor, Rufus makes his way down the lane the largest single group of chartered explorers followed. Once he leaves the square his pace picks up from 'arrogant swagger' to 'hustle'. Perception (Wish me luck!)1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9. Finding no trace of them, Rufus' shoulders slump in defeat.
Milani grant I haven't doomed us all. Mother, why did you have to die? Why did you have to die now!? You always said politics was something I should avoid & now you would have me leaping into them at full charge.
Seeing no further benefit to the pursuit & without even the task of outfitting himself to occupy his time; Rufus looks about, setting his bearings, then heads toward to public dueling yards. Specifically to the training squares, where he practices his forms for an hour or so until it occurs to him to listen to the mouths of the street. He will spend the rest of the day, barring luncheon & supper, making Diplomacy checks to Gather Information. I'm guessing he can make about three checks, so: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22 morning, 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 afternoon, 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 evening. Looks like the freshest information is the best, not surprising.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari Stealth to follow Rufus 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 well well well...

Kari moves from the shadows to skulk after the bright headed youth, but due to her lack of nourishment her typical grace fails her, and she snarls in Giant as her ankle rolls beneath her. "FÆN I HELVETE!"

Glancing about herself, Kari is flushed and angry at her loss of composure. But then, such displays were commonly attributed to loathsome filth...

Her brilliant surveillance plot ruined by her own incompetence, Kari, nursing her rolled ankle and her persistently poor health, dives into the local market to purchase provisions for the ranging.

Still considering that pack animal. Push comes to shove, she could use a mule as a mount, just... trying to justify the purchase IC...


Male Gnome Bard 1, hp 9/9, AC 17, (T13/FF15), Init +2, Perc +4. F+1/R+4/W+2

Gizsmith has a battle pony and a pack mule, because mules are awesome.

Gizsmith decides to use some of his free time to try and determine who else received a writ. He tries to catch a glimpse of any of the others leaving the area (Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13) and tries to chat up any that he sees for information on who they are and what there interest might be in the venture (Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

Gizsmith spends his last night in town, as always, entertaining the patrons of his various favorite tavern with tales, accepting any tokens of their appreciation, be they food, drink or coin.
(Perform(oratory):1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14)

This night he also tries to gather any information on those others that received a writ. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11

And rolls terribly....


think of it as an increased DC, which can be reduced by equipment. Can't use craft for very much without tools, and time. It's easy for people to forget that knowledge does reflect more than memory recall. For instance, knowledge:local usually involves bar diving over tavern hopping to find the information, which takes time. Monster Lore is an EX ability, even that might be subject to increased DCs if you don't rp how your character is "expectedly" learning the lore about creatures in this part of the world, and then some exotic Illithid shows up. Also keep in mind that only the first adventure is mobile, the second has you starting your kingdom, and there are some encounters that you will need to prepare for after stumbling into them. <evil grin> If you RP something that even sounds close to some sort of plausible reason for just happening to know lore that is not generaly knowledge, i'll give it to you, but whipping out the char sheet and saying, see right here, it says +15 won't always meet the DC.

Gizsmith learns that many of the other explorers are relatively unknown, he is able to ascertain that a few were funded by various noble houses, in fact it looks like all of the major noble houses of Brevoy are represented. One interesting piece of information that Gizsmith learns is that not all of the charters were for the same areas.

An uneventful evening occurs and most are able to sleep peacefully. Upon awakening in the morning, the town is covered in a fine layering of fresh snow, it appears that a storm blew in overnight. The skies are clear of clouds, and the cold brisk air is invigorating as you prepare to head out.


Half-Elf Rogue 1; hp 10/10; AC 17, t13, ff14; Init +3; Perc +7; F+2, R+5, W+1

Aedon would finish his shopping then return to an inn, one of the nicer ones in a respectable area of town, turning in after a warm meal.

He arrives at the Sellen gate 30 minutes early the next morning riding a large horse and wearing heavy winter clothes and a thick wool cloak. A smaller horse trails behind which carries a variety of supplies and bundles. Once everyone arrives, he addresses the group, "I would like to inquire about the terms of our arrangement as we travel together. I assume that anything we find of value would be split equally, while any decisions would be decided by a simple majority vote?"


Male Human Paladin 1; hp 11/11; AC 16, t12, ff14; Init +2; Perc -1; F+3, R+2, W+1(+2 vs fear)

Salvator would arrive only 15 minutes early, and bore more resemblance to a cat-burglar than any paladin. With his shading hat, tunic covering his chain vest, and a sack full of goods over his shoulder, he did not strike the common image of a knight in shining armor. Nodding his assent to Aoedon's plan, he replied "A simple plan is oft the best. We can always fine tune later."


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari, unable to shake the image of the lovely young woman being dragged from the tables by zealous guardsmen, trolls about several drinking establishments sampling the wares to the extent a drunk might, tipping back mead like it was water till her head spun and she stumbled when she walked.

A fine scout she made, she derided herself as she ambled in the opposite direction her new compass pointed in search of the river gate. Her face felt hot, numb and puffy all at the same time. More than shame, she hated being drunk most, she realized and lurched toward a building to relieve her stomach of its poisonous charge.

"Geh," she sighed and looked up to find folk staring at her, as she had vomited over her compass, and herself. "HEY! I'mma... f*ckin'... idiot," she grumbled and gripped the heavy sack she was carrying over her shoulder desperately. "Dammit..."

You are filth.

"Yeah, yeah yeah... f*ckin' gate and s-south," she mumbled and spoke a few phrases in Sylvan, and with a spell washed the filth from herself.

The gate was unimpressive. Grumbling and rubbing at her eyes, leaving a trail of brightly colored cosmetics in their wake I dunno if anyone else will get a Jem reference, but... yeah.

Kari sought out the cheapest dive there was to rest her head and while she paid a few silver for a cot and a chamber pot to puke in, she tipped the repulsive prostitute at the bar a gold to wake her before her shift ended.

It was exactly the call she needed in the dark to motivate her hung over self to rise.

The cool in the air appears to suit Kari well, though her silken white hair and kit is quite disheveled and she carries a huge pack over one shoulder.

"Mornin'," she greets, and then listens to Aedon's proposal. "Aye, will do," she says simply.


Male Gnome Bard 1, hp 9/9, AC 17, (T13/FF15), Init +2, Perc +4. F+1/R+4/W+2

Gizsmith arrives with the dawn astride his shaggy pony and leading a pack mule. He is dressed in his cold weather clothes and long woolen scarf encircles his neck. Atop his head is an extravagantly plumed tricorn hat.

"Good morrow my fine companions. Aedon's proposal seems most satisfactory. Might I suggest we agree upon a name for our little collaboration. Something inspiring. The Golden Companions, or Gizsmith's Goodfellows perhaps?"


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

"Brevoy's Bastards might be more appropriate. Though hardly the most salubrious appellation." Rufus interjects, leading an unarmored Destrier and an armored hound to join the others. A heavy winter blanket is wrapped around him like a cloak. "Of course, that may be just the connotation we want to present." He seems more subdued this morning, more resigned to the task than anticipating it. "Aedon, what were you saying? I could see you talking but was not yet close enough to hear."

No success on my Gather Information attempts yesterday? Also, may we see what is written on the Charter? We all witnessed a rather draconian (by modern standards at least) display of the 'powers that be' dealing with sympathizers/possible spies for the 'bandits' to the south. Knowing exactly what our task is & what leeway we have in going about it will have a profound effect on Rufus' feelings about the 'adventure'. He feels he pretty much has to, at least for the time being, but he is starting to question why Noleski Surtova wants it done now & in the manner it is.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari goggles, first at Gizsmith's ridiculous plumage, and second at Rufus's suggestion. She is gaining the distinct impression that the bright headed youth is her foil.

"Apple-who?" she drawls, playing upon her ignorance. "I dinnae recall a match wi' a lass name Connie."

Kari Bluff (feign ignorance) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27 +1 if you're inclined to be sexually attracted to her... from a trait.


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

After a night of sleeping under the cold-lit stars, Lyster rides up on Everswift and arriving just at the same time as Rufus.

"Naming the company already are we? Well, I'm not one for fancy names and wasted words so I'd be just fine with the Companions. Something simple. No sense going around putting "Golden" in front of it if you're not covered in the stuff I say."

He turns to look out across the land.

"It's going to be quite a journey out there. I can feel it. I may not be young anymore, but my days are far from numbered."

He turns back to the group.

"I don't know how you all want to go about this, but here's how I do things. I pledge to each and everyone of you, on my faith, honor and life, to uphold our cause and fight until my last breath. This I do swear upon this day. Now, you may not want to commit as I do, but I take no small thing lightly and in an endeavor such as this, trust and faith in each other will be of utmost importance."

He finishes getting everything he owns in place and looks back at the group.

"Now... are we ready to head out?"

As for gear, every piece should be checked to see who would benefit more from it. Gold and monetary treasure should be split equally. Group healing items or other miscellaneous purchases that benefit everyone should also be paid out equally.


Half-Elf Rogue 1; hp 10/10; AC 17, t13, ff14; Init +3; Perc +7; F+2, R+5, W+1

Aedon waits until Lyster finishes speaking before turning back to Rufus. "Your pardon, I intended to wait until everyone could hear me. I was suggesting that we all agree to some initial terms as traveling companions. The first suggestion was that we agree to equal shares, and the second was that the group agree that we use a simple majority vote if we have disagreements.

Facing Lyster, "Of course, we have six in our group, so I suggest Lyster receive an extra vote in the event of a tie."

"As for a name, now that we are all in attendance, why don't we discuss that as we travel?"

Unless there is further conversation, Aedon heads out.

Regarding gear, I'm not sure I follow, can you provide an example? No rush, I think we've got time to figure out a fair way to distribute treasure. :)

@DM: Are you planning to open the Discussion forum for this campaign? I have a few topics I'd like to throw out to the group, but I didn't want to clutter the Gameplay thread.


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

So only Kari & Salvator do not have mounts? In that case we might do well to procure mounts for them. It might also cut our travel times down.
"Before we go, we likely should decide how we're going to travel. The lass Kari & Salvator are without mounts, it presumes much to ride while one's companions walk. We'll go no faster than they & they will spend the day walking eye-to-hindquarters. Not what I would consider a joyous experience."

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11. Nope, totally clueless. As far as I can tell, you are just as ignorant as you seem.

I suspect by gear, he meant treasure that isn't coin or gems.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

"Ah 'ave no skill fer ridin'... beasts," Kari qualifies with a smirk. "'Sides, a horses ass 'like ta raise 'nough stench ta draw a creature we nae want ta meet," she continues and shrugs.

"What good a scout tha' cannae skulk fra danger? Else ye be wantin' a half a scout spread o'er half a mile 'er so, then less a scout o'er a week or more."


Male Human (Kellid/Varisian) Cavalier (Standard Bearer) 1 [ HP: 11/11 | AC: 15 T: 12 FF: 14 | F: +3 R: +1 W: +0 | Init: +1 Perc: -1 | Effects: none]

"It seems unlikely we will need a scout along the way to our destination. In truth, that manner of scouting would best be done on horseback."


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

"Aye lady, though I see the sense in your words I don't quite enjoy sneaking through underbrush when Everswift can get me that much faster where I need to go. When the time comes for stealth, I'll leave him behind but not when travel is needed."

He nods at Rufus.


Female Human Bard/1 (Init 4; Normal Vision Perc +4, Hp 11/11; AC 17 [t 14, ff 13]; fort 3 ref 5 will 2)

Kari touches the collection of fangs and talons hanging from her hair and sighs. Speed enough to the grave, she recognizes, but utters not a word of her conviction. "Aye, aye, 'ah bow ta the superior wisdom of our elder," she says, very near a grumble, "but I wan' a mule," she adds. "Ah no great rider, and would prefer the flesh 'neath me have greater legs than mine, yeah?"


Male Human Inquisitor 1 -- hp 10/10, Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5, Init +3, Perception +7, AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14

"Didn't mean to offend and no sense calling me elder. I ain't that old."

1 to 50 of 665 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Oathday, Calistril 30th, 4710 AR All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.