Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Brains of the Dark World (Inactive)

Game Master ulgulanoth

Mindflayers ruling the world and keeping it that way


1 to 50 of 781 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

You receive a letter from the head enforcer Jglax; it is an invitation to a party at his estate. This is a very rare occurrence, especially since you have never met Jglax, very few Mindflayers have. Jglax’s estate is at the boundary between the Forge and the Law Caves. It is a large gothic mansion, being so close to the Forge it’s much warmer than any other Mindflayer home you’ve been in. You are greeted by a fire giant butler, he shows you in to the main hall; a gigantic space barely lit filled to with tables where other Mindflayers and their servants are sitting.


Blepxeblopty arrives slightly early, wanting to get an overview of the party, and what the meaning of it was. Along with him he brought two servants; his own butler, an elderly human and his bodyguard, minion.

Once he is shown to the banquette hall he gets to work - mingling with his his fellow guests and listens to their conversations, trying to get a picture of what Jglax wants. He also takes notes on who's here, especially the more noteworthy - and tries to gauge is its most merchants, or soldiers or nobles or something else entirely.

Was going to try and refer to Blepxeblopty as a "it", since he is neither he or she - but couldn't find the possessive version of "it" so I wrote in he form instead. My grammar skills might be lacking. I assume identifying mindflayers would go under the know(local) and know(nobility) and not know(dung) since we are 'flayers?

Know(local) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28
Know(nobility) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17
Diplomacy (gather info) 1d20 + 28 ⇒ (9) + 28 = 37


M Mind Flayer 6 Inquisitor of Vecna

Vecthan is surprised by the invitation. Since joining the church he doesn't normally get invites to places especially to parties. He wonders if he's been found, there still is a lot of money on his head, but he can't refuse, they may have church business, someone for him to hunt. Before he goes he tries to see what he can find out about Jglax to be better prepared in case this isn't a social invite. He sets his armor to look like a silk silver shirt with an emblem of Vecna in the middle. Once there he will find a table with a couple flayers "Greetings" to the others at the table and sits down.

Knowledge Local:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21
Diplomacy(Gather Info): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


Receiving the invitation during an operation, Xallihion was at first annoyed, and then perplexed. Why is Jglax interested in me? I'm not one of the high-class flayers. Hell, I'm not even well-liked. In any case, his curiosity had been piqued, and so he decided to go to the function. He changed into his formal-wear, and left.

Once he arrived, he found a place for himself in the corner, away from most of the others. Those few that might have been around him, he said very little to.


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1

Myron reads the letter as a servant brings it to him. "Finally someone of importance must have noticed my work. Perhaps they want to commission something. Perhaps if the right 'people' (not sure what word to use) take notice I can finally get out of this hovel." Myron thinks as he lounges in an overstuffed chair in his lavish quarters.

Myron arrives at the party exactly on time. He brings with him a single manservant, an elf. Attractive and competent, but nothing special. The manservant carries a well bound guilded book containing the names and functions of various magical items that Myron has the ability to make, a few are of Myron's own design.

He takes his seat at the table and nods greetings to the gathered patrons.

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Blepxeblopty

Spoiler:

Local- this part of town is known for its loud noises and generally is shun by Mindflayers. There is a rumour that Jglax brings his prey here to interrogate. Jglax is also known to hold these parties on regular occasions, usually asking Mindflayers at random it seems to attend, and sometimes some of the attendants are never seen again
Nobility- Jglax isn’t a noble but he works at the highest level, wielding far more political power than almost any Mindflayer, we works directly for the Elder Pool, and has the authority to do pretty much anything for the sake of the society
Gather information- the are Mindflayers of many levels of society here, some are nobles, some are from the lowest level of society. You hear that one of the Mindflayers said something about Jglax recruiting people at these parties

VecThan
Spoiler:

Local-this part of town is known for its loud noises and generally is shun by Mindflayers. There is a rumour that Jglax brings his prey here to interrogate. Jglax is also known to hold these parties on regular occasions, usually asking Mindflayers at random it seems to attend, sometimes some of the attendants are never seen again
Gather information- the are Mindflayers of many levels of society here, some are nobles, some are from the lowest level of society. No one seems to know why they are here


Going to use for inner monologues, for speech and when the time comes, I think I'll use #addressed for telepathic communication.

Interesting... C C D Wonder if I ... A A D am lucky or not... C C D Maybe Jglax need some new staff.. A A D Blepxeblopty looks at and analyses Jglax current servants, and mentally goes over his own stock. C C D Either way, this might be an interesting evening. A A G - Blep has taken the habit of always focus his mind on simple songs during large social events, since there might be people listening - and it will at least confound them.

After his survey is complete, Blepxeblopty takes a seat on one of the tables, next to an interesting looking illithid accompanied by a slave carrying an even more interesting book. So, you look like the knowledgeable sort - perhaps you know why we are here? His eyes jumps between the mindflayer and the book.


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
Blepxeblopty wrote:

Going to use for inner monologues, for speech and when the time comes, I think I'll use #addressed for telepathic communication.

Interesting... C C D Wonder if I ... A A D am lucky or not... C C D Maybe Jglax need some new staff.. A A D Blepxeblopty looks at and analyses Jglax current servants, and mentally goes over his own stock. C C D Either way, this might be an interesting evening. A A G - Blep has taken the habit of always focus his mind on simple songs during large social events, since there might be people listening - and it will at least confound them.

After his survey is complete, Blepxeblopty takes a seat on one of the tables, next to an interesting looking illithid accompanied by a slave carrying an even more interesting book. So, you look like the knowledgeable sort - perhaps you know why we are here? His eyes jumps between the mindflayer and the book.

It's going to be particularily important to indicate how you are communicating in this game. ex, thinking to onesself, thinking to another, or actual speech.

Myron responds aloud in an unconcerned tone, "Unfortunately I do not. Jglax called on me and I beckoned. I assumed he had heard of my work and wanted to commission something. As such I brought a mostly comprehensive list of the items I can create." Myron Motions to the book. "However, given the assembled guests I have to assume I was mistaken, but we shall see.'


Indeed - fortunately, most mind reading can be foiled. We just have to invest in lead hats : )

Ah, what a shame he quickly looses interest in the large book upon learning that it mostly contains formulas and advertisement, and not some exotic and wonderful language or song. I heard some things however "theatrical pause" but you might still get a chance to ply your trade.
He strokes one of his tentacles with his left hand while his right searches for something in his elaborate coat. He pulls out a long cigar and hold it out towards an elderly servant standing in attention behind him who lights it gracefully. We shall see indeed. He puts the tobacco roll to his mouth, takes a deep breath and relaxes. This is a good spot. C.. If it comes to that, A.. I bet a can run faster then him. He takes a good look of Myron, then breathes out a ring of smoke and stretches forth his left hand as a greeting. My name is Blepxeblopty - as for my trade, lets discuss that slave of yours ...


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
Blepxeblopty wrote:

Indeed - fortunately, most mind reading can be foiled. We just have to invest in lead hats : )

Ah, what a shame he quickly looses interest in the large book upon learning that it mostly contains formulas and advertisement, and not some exotic and wonderful language or song. I heard some things however "theatrical pause" but you might still get a chance to ply your trade.
He strokes one of his tentacles with his left hand while his right searches for something in his elaborate coat. He pulls out a long cigar and hold it out towards an elderly servant standing in attention behind him who lights it gracefully. We shall see indeed. He puts the tobacco roll to his mouth, takes a deep breath and relaxes. This is a good spot. C.. If it comes to that, A.. I bet a can run faster then him. He takes a good look of Myron, then breathes out a ring of smoke and stretches forth his left hand as a greeting. My name is Blepxeblopty - as for my trade, lets discuss that slave of yours ...

As the smoke swirls around the room, you can't help but notice that none of it gets anywhere near Myron. It seems to be held back by an unseen shield.

"So you're a slave trader." Myron pauses. "Who isn't?" He asks earnestly. "What I mean is how is you're business different than any other? Do you provide unique specimens?"


Blep laughs You for example? he smiles The key to compete when quantity is abundant is quality. I provide discipline and skill - and he lowers his voice sometimes more 'unique' specimens on commission.
He inhales another mouthful of smoke, satisfied that this conversion partner isn't overly bothered by his vice. Say, out of curiosity, have you seen the salamanders working down in the forge? Remarkable critters ...


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
Blepxeblopty wrote:

Blep laughs You for example? he smiles The key to compete when quantity is abundant is quality. I provide discipline and skill - and he lowers his voice sometimes more 'unique' specimens on commission.

He inhales another mouthful of smoke, satisfied that this conversion partner isn't overly bothered by his vice. Say, out of curiosity, have you seen the salamanders working down in the forge? Remarkable critters ...

"I have. I once needed something particularly difficult melted and shaped. I enlisted one of them for the task."

Myron continues to make banter until their host arrives.


See? A thousand humans would could not have done that. That, my friend, is the perk of quality. Blep will continue to banter and discuss the finer points of the usefullness of salamanders, but he won't push it to hard, since he is not really there to sell anything.


? Aberration Illithid 8 / Oracle (Lore) 6

This for spoken, This for inner monologue, This for telepathic communication.

Haruhito initially regards the letter as one would a poisonous cave viper.

This is troubling. I thought that I had managed to maintain a low profile. Why does Fate test me so? I had considered myself safe from such outside... interruptions... Still, I dare say that it would be imprudent to decline... or be late, for that matter.

Brother Haruhito arrives at the party, immaculately dressed in suit of silken ceremonial armor, and warily keeps an eye on the other guests, trying to fathom why he was invited...

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 15 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 15 + 20 = 46, trancing for 1d6 ⇒ 3 rounds.

Knowledge(Nobility): 1d20 + 15 + 20 ⇒ (4) + 15 + 20 = 39, trancing for 1d6 ⇒ 4 rounds.

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Haruhito

Spoiler:

Local- this part of town is known for its loud noises and generally is shun by Mindflayers. There is a rumour that Jglax brings his prey here to interrogate. Jglax is also known to hold these parties on regular occasions, usually asking Mindflayers at random it seems to attend, and sometimes some of the attendants are never seen again. Jglax started doing these parties almost the week after he reached the position of Head Enforcer. He has never held them anywhere else other than his house. there are rumours that those who go wondering around his house get arrested.

Nobility- Jglax isn’t a noble but he works at the highest level, wielding far more political power than almost any Mindflayer, we works directly for the Elder Pool, and has the authority to do pretty much anything for the sake of the society. While no one has ever been able to proof that he has ever abused his power, most Mindflayers fear to anger Jglax since he has been known for being extremely vicious to his prisoners.


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1

Knowledge checks

Local1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38
Nobility 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (15) + 18 = 33

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Myron

Spoiler:
Local- this part of town is known for its loud noises and generally is shun by Mindflayers. There is a rumour that Jglax brings his prey here to interrogate. Jglax is also known to hold these parties on regular occasions, usually asking Mindflayers at random it seems to attend, and sometimes some of the attendants are never seen again. Jglax started doing these parties almost the week after he reached the position of Head Enforcer. He has never held them anywhere else other than his house. there are rumours that those who go wondering around his house get arrested.

Nobility- Jglax isn’t a noble but he works at the highest level, wielding far more political power than almost any Mindflayer, we works directly for the Elder Pool, and has the authority to do pretty much anything for the sake of the society. While no one has ever been able to proof that he has ever abused his power, most Mindflayers fear to anger Jglax since he has been known for being extremely vicious to his prisoners.

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

after a short amount of mingling, a bell is rung and from a corner of the room a number of hobgoblin butlers come out followed by a large number of halfling slaves. the halfling slaves seem to have been drugged as they aren't very responsive. the halfling slaves are goaded to walk up to each Mindflayer at the table, and a hobgoblin per table then says "Enjoy your meal, our host will be here shortly"


Ahh finally - I was getting hungry. Blep takes a moment to look over his food, looking to see if the halflings head has been tampered with (small holes after injection needles for example). If it appears fine he will consume his food, using his left hand do hold the cigar meanwhile.

Per 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (14) + 19 = 33


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1

Detect poison on my hobgoblin.

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Blepxeblopty

Spoiler:
the halfling has been injected with something, they have a needle mark at the back of their necks

Myron the hobgoblins are the butlers, you've been given a halfling for dinner

Spoiler:
neither the hobgoblin nor the halfling are poisoned


Spellcraft 1d20 + 22 ⇒ (15) + 22 = 37

Blep notices the hole, but he cannot know if it was made by the thing that makes the food docile or if it is something else. However... someone else might know. Tampered food... A . hmm ... all these chemical additions ... C . I prefer it screaming

Myron:
"Did you find out something?"

Blep will await Myrons response before eating.


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
Blepxeblopty wrote:

Spellcraft 1d20+22

Blep notices the hole, but he cannot know if it was made by the thing that makes the food docile or if it is something else. However... someone else might know. Tampered food... A . hmm ... all these chemical additions ... C . I prefer it screaming

** spoiler omitted **

Blep will await Myrons response before eating.

Was reading from my iphone. My bad.

"They don't detect as poison. Should be fine. If he wanted us dead their are easier ways.

Myron begins to eat his Halfling.


True ...

Myron:
but not all poison draws blood. There are worse things out there.
Blepxeblopty will eat the halflings brain after Myrons assurance (and his leading example).


Xallihion too, will eat his. As he has to get in much closer proximity to others, he will try and start some conversation. "Why do you think Jglax has invited us here?"


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
Xallihion wrote:
Xallihion too, will eat his. As he has to get in much closer proximity to others, he will try and start some conversation. "Why do you think Jglax has invited us here?"

"I believe that's the question of the hour." Myron responds


As the new mindflayer close Blep quickly finishes his meal, and tries to suppress his darker thoughts. He once again starts puffing on his cigar, leaning backwards in his seat to speak.

"I'm sure you heard things by now... but with the immense power he wields there is not much we can do about it. Except wait and see" I wonder if this place is safeguarded from teleportation ...


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
Blepxeblopty wrote:

As the new mindflayer close Blep quickly finishes his meal, and tries to suppress his darker thoughts. He once again starts puffing on his cigar, leaning backwards in his seat to speak.

"I'm sure you heard things by now... but with the immense power he wields there is not much we can do about it. Except wait and see" I wonder if this place is safeguarded from teleportation ...

"Agreed."


? Aberration Illithid 8 / Oracle (Lore) 6

Haruhito inspects the halfling presented to him carefully, and then delicately extracts the brain, slowly savouring its flavor.

I suppose I might as well enjoy the meal whilst I am here...

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Slowly the lights begin to dim, as orchestral music begins to rise from the floor boards. Then from the ceiling a number of mechanical devices begin to move, slowly bringing down a concealed platform. The platform stops 15 feet above the floor. Standing on the platform is Jglax, a red-black spotted Mindflayer. He wears a golden robe and carries a large staff made of pure amber. Behind him are 3 women like creatures, they are covered in dark robes and white veils so only their form can be seen. They are chained to the platform by silver ropes. Jglax bows but doesn't say anything


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
ulgulanoth wrote:
Slowly the lights begin to dim, as orchestral music begins to rise from the floor boards. Then from the ceiling a number of mechanical devices begin to move, slowly bringing down a concealed platform. The platform stops 15 feet above the floor. Standing on the platform is Jglax, a red-black spotted Mindflayer. He wears a golden robe and carries a large staff made of pure amber. Behind him are 3 women like creatures, they are covered in dark robes and white veils so only their form can be seen. They are chained to the platform by silver ropes. Jglax bows but doesn't say anything

Myron returns the bow and watches Jglax for a cue as to what's happening.


Blepxeblopty watches the amusing spectacle, his respect growing slightly by the show. He tries to figure out what the chained beings could be, just out of curiosity. He swiftly puts away his cigar, giving it to his butler who puts it out and pockets it.

Ahh he has a knack for dramatic entrances A. I wonder if he has more theatrical qualities... C.

If there is any chance of a great per roll would enable one to realize what they are, or at least get a clue Blep will try:

Per 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (6) + 19 = 25

And about how many guests are there at the party ?

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

there are about 50 Mindflayers, but around a total of 500 beings at the party not including halflings

Blep

Spoiler:
yes you can make a knowledge nature, dungeoneering and local checks to figure out what they are


Know (local) 10+16 = 26, taking 10 (bards can do this with loremaster

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Blep

Spoiler:
some Mindflayers think that he keeps Nymphs in his house as slaves, though they say that they aren't normal Nymphs and that he's changed them some how


M Mind Flayer 6 Inquisitor of Vecna

Vecthan look at the halfing and smiles Oh gifts...interesting...I don't want to insult him by refusing.
He turns to the hobgoblin "Thank master Jglax for the snack"
As he goes about eating the snack.
Hearing the orchestra, Vecthan looks up to see what is happening.
Oh that must be Jglax...and I wonder what those are behind him
He nods his head back after Jglax bows.

sorry for sparse post was at a gaming con since Thursday and was on online very sporadically for short times


? Aberration Illithid 8 / Oracle (Lore) 6

Ah! I see that the entertainment is about to commence. I wonder what plans our host has for us this evening?

Haruhito continues to watch unfolding events with interest...


Male Mindflayer Psychic Warrior 3/Phrenic Slayer 3

Before the halfling meal arrived, a martial looking Mindflayer wearing the colors of Asmodeus makes his entrance, and immediately makes his way over to a group of lesser races and begins talking to them. He seems to be having an actual conversation with them, as opposed to ordering them about, which is definitely odd.

When dinner makes its way out, he does not move to join other 'Flayers, instead eating his halfling while still among those not of his kind. As the host descends from the ceiling, he is clearly not that impressed as such frivolity is wasteful and pointless to him. However, he keeps his opinions to himself, respectful of who could be a new client.

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

Jglax waits for the room to settle down, his eyes slowly moving over every Mindflayer, as he does so all the Hobgoblins start to move to a single table. Suddenly you hear in your head a voice so filled with evil that your head feels like it is being sliced slowly with knives. Welcome to my humble home, I have invited you all today because I have found a threat to our way of life. Worse still one of you… has betrayed us Jglax clicks his fingers and all the hobgoblins take out stilettos from their jackets and stab the Mindflayers on that table. What do you think we should do about this?


? Aberration Illithid 8 / Oracle (Lore) 6

A Mindflayer working against the Elder Brain? I did not think such a thing was possible!

Haruhito watches in horrified fascination as the hobgoblin slaves slaughter all of the Mindflayers on one of the tables, but is at the same time quite relieved that he is not at that particular table...

We should teach those who would seek to threaten our way of life the error of their ways. Rather than letting them try to destroy us, we should attempt to eliminate them!


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1

I'm assuming I didn't just get stabbed.

"We remove them from the equation, of course."

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

no the table that got stabbed was filled with NPCs only


Male Mindflayer Psychic Warrior 3/Phrenic Slayer 3

Yzx watches the spectacle with a look of utter disinterest plain on his face. He has slain his fair share of fellow 'Flayers, and this show of theatatrics was boring him. "It would not be the first time those among our kind have betrayed us nor will it probably be the last. As in the past so shall we do now: hunt down any others still out there, as well as their allies, and destroy them. This last you've already done a good job of, even if it is rather showy for my tastes."


I wonder how many of those A. were actually traitors, and how many that just C. were inconveniences... They went down remarkably quiet however. Blep thinks silently, hopeing that everybodies attention is on Jglax.

We first need to know the threat to take action. Surly the Suns re-emergence would be treated differently then an aboleth invasion or a slave riot?

Blep lends backwards in his chair and signals his butler for another cigar. He had a feeling that this would be a long evening. Surly there would be a moments chaos were everybody would try and give their opinion, then argument about which action to take. He sincerely hoped that Jglex could keep order ... He tries to tune out most of the useless conversation and focus on Jglex and those other whose opinions he cared for. With a sigh he lights his second cigar, swiftly reflecting that this surely wouldn't be the last today.


"The threat needs to be analyzed, and then destroyed."

Cheliax

male wraith biomedical scientist lv5/ film director lv3

“I see you are eager to prove yourselves to the cause that we all share” he points at you (all the players) ”I believe you would wish to undertake an assignment for me”


Hemaphrodite? Illithid Wiz5\Bloat mage 1
ulgulanoth wrote:
“I see you are eager to prove yourselves to the cause that we all share” he points at you (all the players) ”I believe you would wish to undertake an assignment for me”

"You are correct. "


Indeed.


? Aberration Illithid 8 / Oracle (Lore) 6

Haruhito inclines his head.

"I could certainly see my way clear to doing so."


Male Mindflayer Psychic Warrior 3/Phrenic Slayer 3

"I am interested, but it would depend on the exact nature of the contract"

1 to 50 of 781 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Brains of the Dark World All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.