Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


4,151 to 4,200 of 5,778 << first < prev | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim screams out, "Friar, help protect us against the acid, I will bless my own weapon!" Valgrim pulls out his Oil of Bless Weapon and smears it against the blade of his greataxe.

HP: 102/102
AC: 23
Buffs: Oil of Bless Weapon - 10 rounds


Male Human Cleric 14
Black Tom wrote:
Map is up, and you can modify your positions somewhat but Feres and Vulcan would need to enter the room to cast their spells. Green is the curtain which is torn down now, and orange is the jellies.

I would really prefer not to be in square N,18 if at all possible. How about L,17?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The demon conjures a cloud of noxious vapors that obscures vision, slows movement and burns you all for 10 points of acid damage.

Everyone except Valgrim is up.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Since Valgrim is the only melee guy here, maybe we should back into the hall," Vug suggests.

I assume this is Acid Fog so ranged weapons are useless, correct?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Correct.


Male Human Cleric 14

Round One:

Valgrim Twin-Axe wrote:
Valgrim screams out, "Friar, help protect us against the acid, I will bless my own weapon!"

"I used my only- *COUGH* -spell of energy resistance in preparation for our battle with the supposed frost worm- *COUGH*" Feres replies to Valgrim's request.

"Vulcan, can you- *COUGH* -blow away this acidic cloud?" the stout priest asks the sorcerer, his voice raspy from the acidic vapors.

Holding action for the moment to see if Vulcan can do something to get rid of the Acid Fog. My Round One action will depend on his response.

Question for BT: Would the spell Life Bubble be an effective defense against the Acid Fog?


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"I have some energy resistance that we can share, but we'd all have to drink it. Maybe a tactical retreat would be in order?"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Good idea, this is really bad!"

Bubba also delays.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug tries to create a line of defense by opening a vial of protoplasm and releasing some mud elementals.

Use Summon Nature's Ally IV to summon 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 small mud elementals between the bad guys and Valgrim, etc. They're immune to acid. The elementals will take the Total Defense action.

Then Vug retreats back out of the fog.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Life Bubble will indeed work.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan nods, raising his hands as he commands an intense gust of wind to drive the fog back.

Casting Gust of Wind 50+mph, enough to handle Acid fog


Male Human Cleric 14

Round One (continued):

Feres takes a step back, offering a brief prayer to his Goddess as he touches Valgrim's shoulder.

5 ft step back to square M,16. Standard action to cast Freedom of Movement on Valgrim; duration 100 minutes.

Feres' AC: 18
Feres' HP: 70/80


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Thank you, Padre! Very cool use of your spell, Vulcan!"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Get 'em now"

Bubba starts Inspire Courage +2 and casts haste on everyone.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

May be my turn or do the jellies go? Either way, need an updated map, as Vug's mud elementals may be in my way. In that case, may delay to allow the demon to go first, since he is not within melee range.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Am in Rome on vacation. Posting will be intermittent until Sunday. See you then.


Male Human Cleric 14

I think the ochre jellies go next, then Valgrim.

Have a great trip, BT!


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Apologies for the late update. Had a great trip but came home with a cold.

Vulcan easily disperses the lethal fog, while Vug pours something unsavory onto the floor, forming two vaguely humanoid columns. The oozes advance and slosh harmlessly at the mud elementals. Just fluff for some hilariously bad rolls.

Valgrim is up, then the demon.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim delays, lets the demon go first.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Thank you. I was going to let the oozes delay but that made no sense.

The demon makes some kind of gurgling sound but nothing happens.

Spellcraft 19:

Spoiler:
It tried to summon help but failed.

Now you are all up.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"If we don't attack, the damn demon is just going to pick us off with spells! Vug, we've been sped up by Bubba's magic, unleash some of those sunlight bombs you mentioned to get rid of these jellies, if you wish; Bubba, try and slow the demon, if possible; Vulcan, burn the jellies; and Friar, keep me alive, because I feel I'm going to get pounded!"

With that, Valgrim rages and throws himself into a frenzy of rolls and somersaults, bypassing his way through the jellies ending at L22, to attack the demon, who is casting his summoning spell (full-round action).

Acrobatics vs. Jelly #1 (DC=CMD+5) to move through his space: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27
Acrobatics vs. Jelly #2 (DC=CMD+5+2) to move through his space:1d20 + 13 ⇒ (15) + 13 = 28
Acrobatics check to avoid AoO (DC=CMD+4) from Jelly #3: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
Acrobatics check to avoid AoO (DC=CMD+6) from Jelly #4: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30
Attack roll with Power attack and Vital Strike: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 = 32
Damage: 2d12 + 19 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9, 10) + 19 + 2 + 2 = 42

Effects: Freedom of Movement, Bless Weapon on axe (bypasses DR: Good), Haste, Inspire Courage, 25% critical immunity
HP: 92/102 (112 with rage)
AC: 21
Rage rounds: 1/7


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Spellcraft auto-succeeds

"Phew! Sounds like he tried to call for help but he f-failed. Valgrim, I still think it's better to have them attack us one at a time, but it's your f-f-funeral."

Vug moves back to the doorway and tosses a sunlight bomb at one of the ochre jellies, trying to catch as many as possible in the splash.

with PBS, haste and inspire courage: 1d20 + 13 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 13 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 255d6 + 10 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4, 6, 2, 2, 2) + 10 + 5 + 2 + 1 = 34 damage to one jelly, 20 splash damage to the others (Ref DC 20 for 1/2)

The mud elementals try punching the jellies.

with power attack and haste and inspire courage:
elemental #1
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 251d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 11
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 251d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 8

elemental #2
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 171d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 10
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 241d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 11

Each attack has a DC 12 Fort save to be entrapped (first failed save = entangled, second failed save = helpless, mud has hardness 5/hp 5 or Str DC 12 to break free).


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Vug, have your elementals attack; I don't believe the jellies are immune to bludgeoning damage. Good!


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Jeez, have a little patience, will ya? I had to look up all that silly Entrap information. :-)


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Vug, never played an alchemist, but with Haste and Rapid Shot, can't you throw 3 bombs per round? You didn't have to move, since the map had you at O18 already.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Short answer: no, only 1 bomb per round at the moment. Long answer: see Discussion thread.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"You got it!"

Bubba tries to dance past the jellies to get a line of effect on the demon.

Moving to N16.
Perform (dance) for Acrobatics: 1d20 + 12 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 12 - 1 = 22

Casting slow on the demon (DC 18 Will):


Male Human Cleric 14

Note: Feres took a 5 ft step back to square M,16 last round before casting Freedom of Movement on Valgrim.

Round Two:

Feres takes another step back and offers a heartfelt prayer to his Goddess, calling forth a burst of divine radiance that fills his allies with courage.

5 ft step back to square L,15. Standard action to cast Bless, granting all allies a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls (stacks with Inspire Courage) and saves vs. fear effects.

Buffs in Effect:
Haste: extra attack at full BAB during full attack action, +1 bonus to attack, +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex, +30 ft enhancement bonus to all modes of movement.
Inspire Courage: +2 competence bonus to attack and damage, +2 morale bonus to saves vs. charm and fear effects.
Bless: +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves vs. fear effects.

Feres' AC: 18
Feres' HP: 70/80


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Bubba, BT mentioned the demon had SR so you should roll a check to see if the spell even has a chance to affect it.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Caster Level Check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


Male Human Cleric 14

Just realized that Feres' AC should be 19 due to Haste.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Sorry about the slow updates. Been down with a bad cold all week.

The jellies strike the elementals for 8 and 7 points respectively, while the other two futilely try to snag Valgrim.

Bubba's spell slows the demon, which punches Valgrim for 12 points of damage (and 9 acid).

You are up.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Did any of the ochre jellies get covered in mud?

Vug tosses another sunlight bomb while the elementals continue to pummel.

1d20 + 13 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 13 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 295d6 + 10 + 5 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2, 6, 3, 1, 2) + 10 + 5 + 2 + 1 = 32, 20 splash damage (Ref 20 for 1/2)

Elemental #1
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 231d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 10
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 81d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 9

Elemental #2
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 141d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 8
1d20 + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 5 - 1 + 1 + 2 = 161d4 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 11

plus entrap (DC 12 Fort) on each attack


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Wow, that Slow spell may have saved the day! Thanks Bubba!

Round 3 action:

Valgrim grunts as the demon's blow strikes and then screams in fury and strikes at the demon three times!

Hasted Attack: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 28
Damage: 1d12 + 19 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 19 + 2 + 2 = 30
Normal Attack: 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 15 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 40
Damage: 1d12 + 19 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 19 + 2 + 2 = 29
Secondary Attack: 1d20 + 7 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 7 + 2 + 2 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 20
Damage: 1d12 + 19 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 19 + 2 + 2 = 32
Assuming 2 strikes hit, damage for this round: 59
Total damage: 101
Breakdown of pluses to hit: +10 base attack +4 (18 Str) +1 (magic weapon) +2 (Rage) +2 (favored enemy evil outsider) +2 (inspire courage) +1 (haste) +1 (bless)

Effects: Freedom of Movement, Bless Weapon on axe (bypasses DR: Good), Haste, Inspire Courage, 25% critical immunity, Bless
HP: 71/102 (91 with rage)
AC: 21
Rage rounds: 2/7


Male Human Cleric 14

Note: Feres is in square L,15 as of the end of Round Two.

Round Three:

Feres points toward the ochre jelly flanking Valgrim with the demon and calls upon the power of his Goddess to fire a blast of divine light at the ooze.

Standard action to cast Searing Light at the ochre jelly in squres K/L-20/21.

Searing Light (ranged touch attack): 1d20 + 7 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 7 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 14
Searing Light Damage: 5d8 + 2 ⇒ (4, 6, 7, 3, 3) + 2 = 25

Buffs in Effect:
Haste: extra attack at full BAB during full attack action, +1 bonus to attack, +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex, +30 ft enhancement bonus to all modes of movement.
Inspire Courage: +2 competence bonus to attack and damage, +2 morale bonus to saves vs. charm and fear effects.
Bless: +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves vs. fear effects.

Feres' AC: 19
Feres' HP: 70/80


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Not sure where the monsters are, so...

Bubba dances his way to attack one of the jellies on Valgrim.

Perform (dance) Acrobatics: 1d20 + 12 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 12 - 1 = 24

Bubba stabs at the jelly.

Rapier Attack: 1d20 + 11 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 11 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 17 add +2 if flanking with Val

AC 18


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Didn't Bub just tell us that ochre jellies are immune to sharp weapons....?


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Since Vulcan has been absent for 2 rounds, I hope it is ok for us to rp his character.

Round 2 action:
Vulcan scans the room and unleashes a scorching ray at the two jellies targeted by Vug's bombs and elementals.

Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 6 + 1 + 2 = 15
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 3, 5) = 16
Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 6 + 1 + 2 = 23
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 3, 2) = 10

Round 3 action:
Same as Round 2!
Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 6 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 26
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 3, 3) = 14
Ranged Touch: 1d20 + 6 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 20
Damage: 4d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 2, 3) = 16

Hope you don't mind, Vulcan.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Apparently Bub forgot his own advice.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Yeah, sorry that I forgot to update the map. Still hard to think.

Under your magical barrage the oozes wither and die, while Valgrim lands two solid blows on the demon, that looks like it's seen better days. It melts into the slime that used to be the oozes, only to emerge at the other end, and from there it teleports away.

You get 5760 xp each for the battle.

Edit: I just realized that it can't really do that, as Dimension Door ends its turn. Hard to think, as I said. However, it made its Concentration check to teleport on the defensive and this way is kind of cooler.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Coward!" Vug snorts as she scoops up some ochre jelly jelly into an empty vial for later analysis.


Male Human Cleric 14

"Is that it? Is the demon truly gone?" Feres asks, glancing about warily.

"Everyone gather round. I'll channel the power of the Healing Flame to mend the burns caused by the acidic fog and some of the wounds inflicted by the demon." Once his companions gather around him, Feres raises his holy symbol high and channels a burst of divine radiance to wash over the group and heal their wounds.

Channel Energy (Healing): 5d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 3, 3, 5) = 17 hp healed.

"Valgrim, it looks like you could use a bit more healing," Feres adds, giving the dwarf a couple of taps with the minor healing wand.

Use two charges from CLW wand on Valgrim.
CLW wand charge 1: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
CLW wand charge 2: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

I believe that gets Valgrim up to full health. Does anyone else need any additional healing?


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Yeah no problem, sorry been busy dealing with no water for a week. The continuing adventures OF POST-Sandy New York. Should be a lot more present going forward


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

In case you are interested in treasure the pinpoints of green light in the demigod’s eye sockets on the mosaic have been rendered with two emeralds worth 1,000 gp each. The spidersilk curtain is worth 250 gp.

The passage across the room leads to a latrine, where the only interesting thing is a silver pitcher worth 30 gp.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

How many doors are there that we have not explored so far?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Unless there is a secret door somewhere, none. There basically only remains the green portal containing the giant monster.


Male Human Cleric 14

On to the glowing green portal and giant monster?


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Unless anyone has any bright ideas about how to remove the Apostolic Scrolls, sure.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

There was mention that positive energy may disrupt the force field. Friar, you willing to channel energy in its presence and see if that works? If not, back to the Arena to rest for the Finals.


Male Human Cleric 14

Assuming we return to the altar room with the green glow...

Feres eyes the green glow emanating from the scrolls suspiciously as it traverses the length of the chamber and covers the hideous stone portal. "Vug? Vulcan? Bubba? You three are much more knowledgeable in matters relating to spellcraft than I. Is there anything else you can you discern about this green glow? I'm thinking that something magical pertaining to enhancing a giant undead worm creature that spews out undead abominations probably isn't exactly harmless..." his voice trails off.

4,151 to 4,200 of 5,778 << first < prev | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.