Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


4,051 to 4,100 of 5,752 << first < prev | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Very cool looking lightning bolt, Vulcan!

Valgrim drops the shattered pieces of his bardiche to the Arena ground and looks at the bloodied dwarf, "Swing yer weapon at me, ya fool! I got plenty of weapons that you can keep breaking!" With that, the enlarged dwarf draws his MW morningstar, grips it with 2 hands, and uses Power attack and Vital strike to bash the dwarf's skull!

1d20 + 14 + 1 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 14 + 1 + 2 + 2 = 32
6d6 + 19 + 2 ⇒ (3, 5, 6, 6, 2, 6) + 19 + 2 = 49

Rage Rounds used: 2/7
Current AC: 26
HP: 95/95
Damage on opponent w/o lightning bolt: 47+49+27=123


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The dwarf fighting Valgrim grits his teeth and fights on, hitting twice for 38 points as well as smashing his morning star.

The other dwarf is sent sprawling by the blast from Vug's bomb, so he spends the round standing up (drawing an AoO from Feres) and slashes at Feres for 25 points.

They made the saves against Lightning bolt, Cacophonous Call and Archon's Aura, but they don't seem to have any electricity resistance. They have DR 3/- though.

Then you are up again.


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres' Buffs in Effect:
Haste: extra attack at full BAB during full attack action, +1 bonus to attack, +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex, +30 ft enhancement bonus to all modes of movement.
Inspire Courage: +2 competence bonus to attack and damage.
Barkskin: +3 enhancement bonus to natural armor. (90 minutes)
Shield of Faith: +3 deflection bonus to AC. (9 minutes)

Round Two:

AoO on dwarf as he rises to his feet: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 9 + 2 + 1 = 22
AoO Damage: 1d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 = 7

Feres takes another side-step and slashes at the dwarf with his wickedly sharp scimitar.

5 ft step to square F,21. Hasted full attack against dwarf.

Feres' Hasted Attack: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 2 + 1 = 20
Feres' Hasted Damage: 1d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 = 7

Feres' Scimitar Attack #1: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 9 + 2 + 1 = 14
Feres' Scimitar Damage #1: 1d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 2 = 7

Feres' Scimitar Attack #2: 1d20 + 4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 2 + 1 = 19
Feres' Scimitar Damage #2: 1d6 + 3 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 2 = 9

Feres' AC: 25; CMD: 22 (includes +1 dodge from Haste and +3 deflection from Shield of Faith)
Feres' HP: 48/72


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug tries blasting the dwarf off his feet again.

1d20 + 12 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 245d4 + 5 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4, 3, 3, 1, 2) + 5 + 1 + 2 = 21, DC 19 Ref or fall prone


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim yells, "Vulcan, can you blast my dwarf with energy missiles and kill him already, so I can go help Friar?!"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba greases the dwarf's weapon.

"Hang on to that!"

DC 16 Ref each round to avoid dropping his weapon.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

"Got it!"

Vulcan throws one hand forward, barking a quick phrase as fist sized hailstones streak towards the Dwarf facing Valgrim.

4d4 + 4 ⇒ (4, 4, 3, 4) + 4 = 19


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Thanks, Vulcan!

If the dwarf fighting Valgrim drops, Valgrim grabs his dwarven waraxe that he has been using to sunder my equipment and moves 70' toward Friar. If he does not drop, Valgrim draws his MW greataxe and strikes with Power attack and Vital Strike.
Attack (if necessary): 1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 15 + 2 + 1 + 2 = 29
Damage: 8d6 + 19 + 2 ⇒ (1, 6, 6, 3, 3, 6, 5, 2) + 19 + 2 = 53
Rage rounds used: 3/7
AC: 26
HP: 57/95


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Valgrim drops his foe with his greataxe, while the other dwarf manages to stay on foot and hold fast his axe while dodging Feres's attacks.

He retaliates by dropping his shield and hafting his axe two-handed, hitting Feres twice for 55 points of damage.

Your turn.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

"%!@!^# this." Vulcan growl seeing the viscious attack on Feres.

The Stormborn Sorceror flies straight up 25ft, one hand gripping the rod at his hip while the other traces arcane patterns in the air, drawing upon the heat of the noon day desert sun. As a brilliant glow envelops his arm he extends his hand with a roar as he fires first one, then another scorching bolt of pure heat at the dwarf.


Scorching ray (Ranged touch, empowered)
Bolt 11d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
4d6 ⇒ (2, 6, 2, 2) = 12 (Empowered 18)

Bolt 21d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
4d6 ⇒ (1, 1, 4, 4) = 10 (Empowered 15)


Male Human Cleric 14

Round Three:

Feres is at -7 hp and unconscious. DC 10 Constitution check to stabilize: 1d20 + 1 - 7 ⇒ (8) + 1 - 7 = 2

Feres will be at -8 hp and still bleeding out in Round Four.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The crowds cheer as heroes fall on both sides. It appears that the majority are rooting for you. The Pitch Blade's style is rather boring to watch and so far noone has been able to stand up to them.

Valgrim, Vug and Bubba still to go.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug tries another force bomb.

1d20 + 12 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 12 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 355d4 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4, 4, 1, 3, 3) + 2 + 1 = 18


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim picks up the fallen dwarf's waraxe and moves 70' toward the surviving dwarf (to J19). He has 10' reach in his current state.

Rage rounds: 4/7
AC: 26
HP: 57/95


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba casts again, trying to slow down the remaining opponent.

Casting slow (DC 18 Will) and Maintaining Inspire Courage +2


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Stripped of his best buff, surrounded 4 to 1 and having taken nearly 100 points of damage, the dwarf casts down his axe and surrenders. He's met by a storm of booing from the audience and gives them the bird. He's escorted out of the arena while being pelted by expired vegetables.

You on the other hand receive 3840 xp for the fight.

You seem to be popular with the crowd for your spectacular style and skill (some of them even take to chanting your name (Valgrim and Vulcan being especially popular), and as you return to you quarters Ekaym meets up with you and can give you your winnings (which amount to 500 each from your wagers and, fittingly enough, a silver trophy depicting a dwarven gladiator and 5000 gp.

Raknian looks none too pleased at having to present you with this award, but as far as Ekaym has been able to ascertain, he hasn't particularly reacted to the death of his tiefling friend.

You also learn that Auric's Warband outclassed the Grave Diggers and that the Draconic Brood bested the Snow Leopards, leaving only three teams standing.

What do you want to do for the rest of the day?


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Immediately, after the end of the fight, Valgrim drops the dwarf's waraxe and runs over to Friar and slips a Potion of Cure Light Wounds down his throat to make sure he does not die and stabilize. 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6 Hopefully, the Arena's clerics patch us up.

After the fight, Valgrim gives Ekaym some gold to replace the broken bardiche and MW morningstar lost in the fight (321 gp). After that, Valgrim is up for another trip to go investigate the force field, since it may be vulnerable to positive energy. Or not, up to the party.


Male Human Cleric 14

So the Arena's clerics heal us?

Would it be possible for Ekaym to pick up some scrolls of Freedom of Movement for us - preferrably before we go back down below? I'm just thinking that 'giant undead worm creatures that can consume living beings and spew them out as undead creatures' might present a grappling/swallowing-whole threat...


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Yeah, they will heal you up to full. And Ekaym could get you some scrolls, but not before the next match.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Whew! I'm glad F-friar F-f-feres is okay. That was one hell of a chop you took, F-f-father!" Vug breathes a sigh of relief as the cleric regains consciousness.


Male Human Cleric 14

"It certainly was, Vug," Feres replies, wiping blood from his face. "For a moment I thought I was going to join the Dawnflower's choir. I guess She just wasn't ready for my horrible singing voice yet."

What do you guys think - should we order some scrolls of Freedom of Movement?

Alternatively we could get Bubba to cast Grease on all of us if needed - the poor man's alternative to Freedom of Movement.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

"Heh, you're not going anywhwere yet, not if I have anything to say about it."


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Let's order the scrolls, the could always come in handy. We'll have to use grease though if we want to go back tonight.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Ekaym promises to get you the scrolls (do you want them divine or arcane?). He also asks whether he may keep the Bag of Holding for a little longer. Then he leaves you with his best wishes.

Later that night the fight schedule for the next day is posted, causing a certain amount of consternation in the Coenoby. Usually the last year's winners get to fight a wondrous beast of some kind, but against protocol, Auric's Warband is facing the Draconic Brood, leaving you to fight Madtooth the Hungry, whatever that may be.

Gather Information 20:

Spoiler:
You hear some guards complaining about how hard it is to keep Madtooth's cage cold enough and how happy they will be when the frost salamander is returned to the frozen north.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Diplomacy (gather information): take 10 10 +20 = 30

"It's a frost worm guys."


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"F-f-frost? I can f-fight that with f-fire, no problem. So...are we sneaking back into the Coenoby again?"


Male Human Cleric 14

How about we order four scrolls of Freedom of Movement - two divine, and two arcane? I believe that will total 2800 gp (700 gp per each scroll).

So do we want to head back down to the Temple o' Doom in the afternoon following our battle with Pitch Blade?


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Re: scrolls. Sounds fair -- just deduct it from the communal rewards before we split them up.

Re: the Coenoby. There's still a sealed-off portal left, right?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

There is the sealed-off portal and also a door to an unexplored part of the dungeon. And then there are the ghouls... ;)


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

I say we leave the exploring for the next night (before the Finals, if we make it) and prepare for the frost worm battle. Friar, will need a FoM, Resist Energy: Cold, and Bull's Strength, please.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug tries to remember anything she knows about frost worms.

Know arcana: take 10 = 27


Male Human Cleric 14

I could prepare a Communal Resist Energy: Cold with one 3rd level slot and cover all of us with one spell.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Knowledge (nature) 22:

Spoiler:
The frost worm is a creature of extreme cold that deals cold damage with its bite and has a dangerous breath weapon. Worse, on death it explodes in a cloud of chilling shards.

Shall we proceed to the battle then?


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

take 10 on Know: nature = 27

"This thing has a dangerous bite, it breathes f-f-frost, and it dies in a horrible, cold explosion. So watch out!"

Vug prepares the same buffs as the previous day: shield, barkskin, true strike, enlarge person


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Yes, let's proceed to fight. Valgrim has following buffs on, cast in this order:
Freedom of Movement (Friar)
Bull's Strength (Friar)
Communal Resist Energy (Cold)(Friar)
Shield (Vug)
Barkskin (Vug)
Enlarge Person (Vug)
Anticipate Peril (Self)
Lead Blades (Self)

How big is the frost worm?


Male Human Cleric 14

Before entering the arena Feres applies the following buffs to himself and his friends:

Freedom of Movement on Valgrim; duration 90 minutes.
Vug's Barkskin extract on self: +3 enhancement bonus to natural armor; duration 90 minutes.
Communal Resist Energy (Cold) on everyone: Cold damage is reduced by 20 points each time a person is subjected to such damage. 20 minutes duration each for Bubba, Feres, Valgrim, and Vulcan; 30 minutes duration for Vug.
Bull's Strength on Valgrim; duration 9 minutes.
Bull's Strength on self; duration 9 minutes.
Shield of Faith on self: +3 deflection bonus to AC; duration 9 minutes.

Feres' AC: 24
Feres' HP: 72/72


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba has barkskin +3 natural armor, shield and resist energy (cold) as well as hi extract of true strike unused from the previous battle.

AC 23
hp 71/71


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug's Barkskin is +4 to AC, not +3


Male Human Cleric 14

SWEET!

Feres' AC: 25

RPG Superstar 2009 Top 16

Vulcan's got Shield, Fly, Barkskin, Communal resist energy(cold) and Defensive shock active


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The next day at 11:00, you are brought once again up to the battle arena. Once again, Talabir announces you, but this time they see no obvious foe to fight. Talabir reveals that the beast-wranglers are having a tough time with Madtooth, but that the monster is on its way. Ten long minutes drag on, as the crowd grows increasingly impatient and Talabir does what he can to keep them from becoming too angry.

This also means that unless your buffs last more than 10 minutes, they will have expired by now.

Just as the crowd seems to be preparing for a riot, the eastern gates to the arena open and a team of a dozen soldiers dragging a massive iron cube on an oversized chariot enter the arena. The sides of the cage bear the word “Madtooth” in bright red letters clenched in the massive jaws of some huge monster. Brackish water sloshes and leaks from under the cage. There is a suspicuous lack of ice on the cage.

The wagon’s progress is slow as the guards drag the massive iron cage into the center of the arena. As they do, the cage shakes and trembles as some enormous monster within roars incessantly. The spectacle drives the crowd wild, and in moments they’re chanting “MADTOOTH! MADTOOTH! MADTOOTH!” As the guards move the cage in to place about 50 feet from you, in the middle of the arena, they each take hold of different ropes attached to strategic pins and clasps in the cage’s sides. Each guard retreats out 100 feet, holding a rope in his hands.

The crowd grows momentarily silent again as Talabir speaks. “And now, the moment you’ve been waiting for! Watch in fear as these brave gladiators pit their skills against the eternal hunger of the worst the Barrier Peaks have to offer! I give you MADTOOTH THE HUNGRY!” With this final cry, the guards each tug on their ropes. The walls of the cage unfold and fall away, revealing the terrible froghemoth in all its glory.

Roll for initiative.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Somebody goofed..." Vug notes uneasily.

Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Vug's remaining buffs are her mutagen, Barkskin, and Resist Cold, AC = 27

Is there a Knowledge skill we can roll for some froghemoth lore?


Male Human Cleric 14

Oops! Bull's Strength and Shield of Faith are gone. Someone *grumble-loris-raknian-grumble* has done their homework and learned our methods.

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 11

Feres' remaining buffs are Barkskin ang Resist Cold. Valgrim's Freedom of Movement is also still active.

Feres' AC: 22
Feres' HP: 72/72


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

This feels like a setup! Wrong monster and the monster was delayed entry purposely to allow our buffs to run out! By the way, bet the 500 gp again on us to win and move on.
Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Buffs in Effect:
Freedom of Movement
Communal resist energy
Barkskin
HP: 95/95
AC: 25

Valgrim gives Raknian a death glare before he turns to the beast.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15
Vug Vang wrote:
Vug's remaining buffs are her mutagen, Barkskin, and Resist Cold, AC = 27

Actually, Vug's AC should be 30, including Barkskin. I suck at math...


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan has Barkskin and Communal resist still up
HP 50/50
AC:24


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan has Barkskin and Communal resist still up
HP 50/50
AC:24

Init 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12

Barkskin and resist cold should still be up.

AC 19
hp 71/71

"Ha! We've been tricked!"

Loremaster take 20 on Knowledge (nature) as a standard action: 20+9 = 29


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

It's dungeoneering, as a matter of fact, but here is the skinny: The froghemoth is a pretty dumb and straightforward monster that relies on grabbing and constricting with its tentacles and swallowing people whole when it has the opportunity. It has some minor fire resistance and is immune to electricity.

The monster blinks in confusion at the bright lights. All except Valgrim beat its initiative, so you can act if you like. I'll try to get a map up.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Don't get swallowed!"

Bubba does his usual opener, Inspire Courage +2 and haste on the party.

4,051 to 4,100 of 5,752 << first < prev | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.