Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


3,601 to 3,650 of 5,763 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>

Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Finally got the map done. Sorry for the delay. Your DM is in love.

Valgrim and Vug to go, then the monster.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Congrats BT!
Round 1:
Valgrim lets Vug bomb away, then looks over his shoulder, and says, "Gonna go keep this thing occupied, while the rest of you stay back! Gonna need your fast magic Bubba and some healing from you Friar, if I am to survive!" With that Valgrim grips his greataxe and moves in, raging, and fighting defensively, moving to O11. Creature is flat-footed as it has not acted and no AoO, unless it has Combat Reflexes.

Buffs:
Freedom of movement: 80 minutes
Bull's Strength: 8 minutes
Resist Energy: Fire: 60 minutes
Protection from Evil: 8 minutes

Attack with Power attack, Rage, Bull's strength and Fighting Defensively: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 17 - 4 = 33
Damage: 1d12 + 22 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 22 + (3) = 27
HP: 80/83
AC: 23
Rage rounds used: 4/9

EDIT: Crit confirmation: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (11) + 17 - 4 = 24
Damage: 2d12 + 44 ⇒ (4, 2) + 44 = 50
If crit confirms, total damage this round: 77


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug tosses a stink bomb near the thing (not looking directly at it), and then high-tails it for the relative safety of the door.

attack vs. AC 5: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31, 9 splash damage, possible nausea, DC 19


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

This is one of the days you should never have left your cauldron... First a confirmed crit and then a natural 1 on the Fort save.

Valgrim almost chops one of the tentacles off, and then Vug's bomb causes the monster to twitch uncontrollably.

You can all act, but don't forget to save against its slowing gaze (Will 22).


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Yay! "Some haste magic, Bubba, and this thing won't survive much longer! Nice job with nausea bomb, lassie!"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Hasty haste, faster you go! Kill it now!"

Bubba casts haste and inspires courage in his companions.

Haste 8 rounds
Bardic Performance 11/15


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

WILL1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Will go ahead and post Round 2 action.

Round 2:
Valgrim goes on the offensive, trying to kill the creature!
Hasted Attack: 1d20 + 17 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 17 + 2 + 1 = 21..miss
Primary Attack: 1d20 + 17 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 17 + 2 + 1 = 26
Damage: 1d12 + 22 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (7) + 22 + 2 + (1) = 32
Secondary Attack: 1d20 + 9 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 2 + 1 = 16
Damage: 1d12 + 22 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 22 + 2 + (1) = 28
Valgrim uses his Auspicious mark rage power to add 1d6 ⇒ 3 to his last attack roll making it a 19.
If that hits, total damage this round: 60; if not 32
Total damage from Valgrim in 2 rounds: 137; 109
HP: 80/83
AC: 24 (+1 from haste)
Rage round used: 7/9


Male Human Cleric 14

Round One:

Feres offers a quick prayer to Sarenrae, and receives a bit of Her divine guidance before stepping into the chamber and advancing toward the tentacled monstrosity with shield set and scimitar in-hand.

Standard action to cast Guidance. DC 22 Will save: 1d20 + 14 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 14 + 1 = 22 - expending Guidance. EDIT: Just barely!

With his speed augmented by Bubba's spell, Feres quickly steps through the area threatened by the nauseated creature's tentacles to set up a flanking position with Valgrim. Move action 50 ft to square L-12 - if Valgrim moves to square O-12 in Round Two, then he can flank with Feres.

Feres' AC: 19
Feres' HP: 66/66


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Done! Add +2 to both attack rolls.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan feels the eerie power of the creature grip his body a moment before Bubba's spell washes over him, the bizarreness of feeling himself both accelerated and slowed allowing him to move at normal speed while still creating the sensation of moving in altered time.

The sorceror aiases his hand, a narrow beam of freezing energy lancing forth to add the the harm inflicted on the creature.

Ray of frost (ranged touch)1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
1d6 ⇒ 1


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Keep it up guys!" Bubba moves up to the creature (O10) and stabs at the creature.

Will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Attack: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 + 2 = 30
Damage: 1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 = 9
Crit confirm:1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 10 + 2 = 13
Crit damage:1d6 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12

Maintaining Inspire Courage +2
Haste 7 rounds
Bardic Performance 10/15


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

That's one dead monster that sinks back into the cauldron to the tune of 1920 xp each. The green liquid seems to consist mainly of nutrients. The books concern the creation of monsters like the one you just saw and some nots on a new experiment that has yet to begin that concerns the creation of a parasite that makes its victim more susceptible to suggestion, something called a "mind worm".

The door is not locked. Along the passage another flight of stairs leads up to a pair of double doors.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan grabs the books containing notes on the mindworm experiments, stashing them in his pack for later perusal.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug definitely wants to read those books later!


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

After resting for 4 rounds, to allow the fatigue of the rage to pass, Valgrim leads the way through the open door. "Let's clear this level, before heading to the next."


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

You do realize that that's like..24 seconds and that mentioning rounds breaks the narrative right? Just an observation.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Well, I'm just emphasizing how quick we're moving, because I don't want to lose the current buffs, while you and Vug check out books you can easily examine later.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Behind the door a small passage leads to a small round chamber. In the center of the room is a perfectly calm pool of water, glowing with a faint blue light. A reflective green light flows out of a hallway, opposite the entry. There seems to be a larger room beyond it.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Uh oh...more pools of water. I don't like that one bit. Should I toss a bomb in it?"


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Sure, if you don't mind."


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim watches what happens after Vug's bomb explodes. If nothing, he walks and looks into the pool and the blue light, confident his buffs will protect him from whatever creature may be living there.


Male Human Cleric 14

As Valgrim and Vug investigate the pool, Feres glances down the hallway from which the green glow emanates.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"I like the green glow even less." Bubba joins Pops in looking down the hall.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug tosses a stink bomb at the edge of the pool, seeing if anything happens.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Vug lobs a bomb into the shallow pool, sending water splashing everywhere but causing no ill effect. As you draw close to the end of the passage, though, you are greeted by a horrific sight:

At the end of the passage, a grand chamber opens to a height of eighty feet. You find yourselves on a balcony some thirty feet above the floor of the chamber. To your right is a tall octagonal column of jet-black stone, glowing with green symbols running up one of its faces. A deep pool of placid green liquid stands before the column, bathing the entire chamber in an otherworldly light. To your left, two more tentacled horrors cling to the wall above a floor-level entrance.

Floating above the pool is a humanoid form with strange rubbery purple flesh, dressed in black robes, wielding a staff of red hot metal. Its head is hairless and bulbous, with four long tentacles where its mouth should be. Inside your head you hear an alien voice. “You dare enter my sanctum! Fools. I shall finish what Telakin could not. Your weak minds will be a sumptuous feast, your terror a pleasing garnish!”

Yeah, go ahead, roll for initiative.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Male Human Cleric 14

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 9


Male Human Cleric 14

Party Buffs/Spells in Effect:
Darkvision: extract from Vug taken prior to entering the sewers; original duration 2 hours.
Daylight - on Feres' shield: cast at beginning of battle with drow spellcasters; original duration 80 minutes.
Resist Energy (Fire) - Valgrim only: cast before scouting past shrieker/yellow mold cavern; original duration 60 minutes.
Freedom of Movement - Valgrim only: cast following battle with drow spellcasters; original duration 80 minutes.
See Invisibility - Vug only: extract taken following battle with drow spellcasters; original duration 80 minutes.
Shield of Faith - Feres only: cast in first round of battle with tentacled creatures; +3 deflection bonus to AC; original duration 8 minutes.
Protection from Evil - Valgrim only: cast outside stone brain chamber; original duration 8 minutes.
Bull's Strength - Valgrim only: cast outside stone brain chamber; original duration 8 minutes.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Sorry for the delay. Life is still messy. But now I got a crude map up.

Vug and Bubba to go, then the monster.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"BOMBS AWAY!!!" Vug screams as she tosses a stink bomb at ol' tentacle-face.

with PBS(?): 1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 12 + 1 = 284d6 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (4, 1, 6, 4) + 5 + 1 = 21, splash 9, nausea, DC 19


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Good shot Vug!"

Bubba casts grease (DC 16) on the wall the closest to the tentacled horror is clinging to.

Starting Inspire Courage +2
Bardi performance 9/15


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

It appears that the tentacle-faced monster is warded by several kinds of magic, including Displacement. Still Vug's bomb hits it flat in what passes for a face, but it manages to resist the nausea and seems almost unhurt.

The other tentacled horror struggles to keep its grip, as it slides downwards. It manages to catch hold, though. The tentacle-face barks a command and the other horrors move to attack. As they approach it launches a mind blast your way. (Will 23)

Then you can all act if there is anyone still standing.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

See you guys later, I guess! :-)

Will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22, +2 if it's an enchantment effect

For the first time in her life, Vug manages to keep a grip on her mind!!!!


Male Human Cleric 14

DC 23 Will save: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (13) + 14 = 27

Awaiting the results of other folks' saves before declaring an action.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Will save1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Vulcan collapses under the brutal mental assault.

This does not look good


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Will save: 1d20 + 5 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 4 + 1 = 30

Round 1:
Resisting the mind flayer's mental blast, Valgrim allows Friar to go first and then moves to N7 and draws Vug's extract of Fly. "Spread out, so it can't hit us all at once."
HP: 80/83
AC: 23


Male Human Cleric 14

Round One:

Feres retrieves his metamagic rod from the loop on his belt and holds it in his shield hand as he offers a heartfelt prayer to Sarenrae, beseeching the Everflame to bestow Her divine favor on his companions while showing her disfavor for the creatures of darkness before them.

Move action to retrieve Lesser Metamagic Rod - Extend. Standard action to cast Prayer, granting self and all allies a +1 luck bonus to attacks, damage, saves, and skill checks, while foes take a -1 penalty to such rolls; duration 16 rounds (extended using Metamagic Rod). Prayer does not allow a save, but is subject to Spell Resistance. Caster Level Check: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 - bummer...

"Valgrim, Vug... Hold the mind flayer off for a few moments. I'll try to summon some reinforcements."

Party Buffs/Spells in Effect:
Darkvision: extract from Vug taken prior to entering the sewers; original duration 2 hours.
Daylight - on Feres' shield: cast at beginning of battle with drow spellcasters; original duration 80 minutes.
Resist Energy (Fire) - Valgrim only: cast before scouting past shrieker/yellow mold cavern; original duration 60 minutes.
Freedom of Movement - Valgrim only: cast following battle with drow spellcasters; original duration 80 minutes.
See Invisibility - Vug only: extract taken following battle with drow spellcasters; original duration 80 minutes.
Shield of Faith - Feres only: cast in first round of battle with tentacled creatures; +3 deflection bonus to AC; original duration 8 minutes.
Protection from Evil - Valgrim only: cast outside stone brain chamber; original duration 8 minutes.
Bull's Strength - Valgrim only: cast outside stone brain chamber; original duration 8 minutes.
Prayer - cast now; duration 16 rounds.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Not a problem, Friar. The prayer affects the tentacled creatures, just not the mind flayer and he won't be rolling to hit, most likely, just mind blasting and casting spells. And the extra +1 on saves could make all the difference.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Will save:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Vulcan and Bubba are overcome by the massive mental attack and sent reeling.

Actually, Valgrim, you are on a balcony overlooking the room and 30 feet up. The tentacled horrors are climbing the walls at about the same height while the mind flayer is levitating abotut 40 feet up (the ceiling is 80 feet). So you can't really move to N7, so you might want to modify your action. Sorry if the map is unclear.

Vug and Valgrim (?) to go, then the monsters.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Why don't we retreat a bit? I can cover us with a smokescreen," Vug suggests.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Missed that, BT. In that case, Valgrim pulls out the extract, drinks it, and rages. "We're not leaving our friends behind so this thing can feast on their brains!"


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug rolls her eyes. "We drag them along with us, duh!"


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Can't outrun that thing's mind blast. Just throw a bomb and move away."


Male Human Cleric 14

Don't forget: In addition to Fere's Prayer we have Bubba's Inspire Courage (+2 competence bonus to Attack and Damage, and +2 morale bonus to saves vs charm and fear effects) for this round and the next two rounds due to his Lingering Performance feat.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug mutters to herself, "I've got my wings and my invisibility potion, so I don't know what I'm worried about...".

She throws a stink bomb towards the nearest octopus-thing (not looking at it) and then flies 60' back down the corridor.

against AC 5: 1d20 + 12 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 12 + 2 + 1 = 26, 9 splash, nausea, DC 19

3,601 to 3,650 of 5,763 << first < prev | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.