Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


3,351 to 3,400 of 5,536 << first < prev | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | next > last >>

Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Glurrr...bargl...whuh? Aw man, my bow! I hope we can get it repaired; it was my f-f-favourite."

"I agree, let's get the f-f-flock out of here!"


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 14

"UNNHH....agreed." Vulcan mutters forcing himself to stand slowly.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim leads the party out and back to the Crooked House for some recuperation and rest. Before the party rests, he addresses them:

"Five things on our to do list for the next coming days:
1. Identify and sell treasure
2. Pass along this information/documents on the doppelganger infiltration to a good higher ranking in this city, if they even exist. I think if Friar has a means of detecting good, then we can pass it along to someone safely without fear he/she is a doppelganger. I don't know but I don't think the doppelgangers would be able to imitate a person's general goodness.
3. Discuss methods on how to buff up for that mage's mind blast. The last one kicked our a$$! Owl's Wisdom is the only thing that comes to mind..
4. Shopping for items
5. Search for this cold forge."

BT, did my Knowledge (dungeoneering) check get me any info on the squiggly face mage?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

You can tell the squiggly-face is a mind flayer and some basics about what they do (mind blast and extraction), but that's about it.

As you return to the Crooked house you are met with a disturbing sight. Ashka has been brutally butchered in her bed, with some sort of bladed instrument and a lot of fury. There is no trace of Allustan.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Know (nature): 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

We ask the patrons and owner of the inn questions if they saw Allustan or anyone suspicious last night and alert the owner to the death of Ashka. "Bubba, with your knack for city folk, can you look into the cold forge? See if there are any forges in the city by that name or something similar...Chill Forge, Winter Forge, or some derivation. Also, we need to arrange a meeting with a higher up official in this city to pass on the information and documents we obtained on the doppelgangers. Can you arrange that? Or perhaps, Friar, as a representative of the church? I was going to ask Allustan but he's missing. Either he went into hiding because he saw danger or because he's been taken. We need to find this mind flayer's lair and quickly."


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Reflex: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

"I knew it!" Bubba exclaims when he sees Ashka's body.

When he gets a chance Bubba will ask about the forge as well as the fungus on the elves' shoes.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (15) + 15 = 30


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

It takes Bubba less than an hour to locate the Cold Forge, a smithy run by a foul-mouthed man named Crusty Patten. His contact also explains that Beggar's Gold thrives on run-off from smithies and forges, so the sewers under it might be a good place to start looking.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Any news on the meeting with city officials?


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres is distraught to find Ashka so brutally murdered at the Crooked House. The stout priest leaves the questioning of Tarquin and his staff to the others as he performs last rites over the slain lizardfolk. Once the religious ceremony is complete, he asks Master Tarquin for the loan of a cart and driver to help him take Ashka's body to the temple of the Dawnflower for cremation. "I'll take the documents we found in the doppelgangers' lair with me to the temple. Hopefully someone there can tell us how best to get them to the proper authorities," Feres suggests to his companions. "And hold onto the magic mirror for now. If we can find the right people to give the documents to, they may want the mirror as well to help them unmask the doppelgangers."

"Someone should go to Eligos' house to see if Allustan is with him - and to let him know what's happened if he's not."


Male Human Cleric 14

With respect to buffing against the mind blast, Protection from Evil should help a bit. Although those of us with Cloaks of Resistance won't get as much benefit as those without. The duration is one minute per level, though.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim grumbles, "But the mirror's worth a lot and it was heavy as hell to fit into that bag...we'll let them borrow it, how about that? Or we can sell it to them? And be careful out there, you sure don't want company going to the Temple? You're wounded and out of spells, as are we all."


Male Human Cleric 14

"We owe it to Ashka to see that she's given a proper funeral, and we should notify Eligos as quickly as possible. Perhaps we should all go to the temple together and then to see Eligos?"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"I would feel better if we all went, since every one of us is spent from the day's adventure."


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"I agree, let's go. We owe that to her, Allustan, and Eligos."


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 14

"Those shapeshifting bastards will pay dearly for this."
Did Feres dispense any healing or are we still messed up?


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"How could they do that to her? She never hurt anyone. Is it our f-f-fault?" Vug is distraught by the possibility. "Definitely, let's go see Eligos."


Male Human Cleric 14
Vulcan Stormwrath wrote:
Did Feres dispense any healing or are we still messed up?

Yes, Feres used his last Channel to heal everyone 12 hp. We also have 3 Cure Moderate potions available for use.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The temple of Sarenrae does not seem to be very infiltrated according to your papers, probably because they tend to keep aloof from politics. As you tell your story high priest Ralibarn the wise, a sturdy bearded Tharbrian, looks increasingly upset, and vows, among a stream of Tharbrian curses, to help you sort this mess out. They are more than happy to give Ashka a hero's funeral and to heal all your wounds.

Will you sell them the mirror or just let them borrow it for now?

Eligos is disconcerted at the disappearance of his friend and urges you to make haste to find him.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim defers to Friar on how he wants to handle the mirror (borrow, sell, give away for free). It may be expensive but Friar has saved Vagrim more than enough times that he will abide by whatever he wishes to do.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug doesn't care one way or the other, either. She's much more interested in the memory-sucking apparatus! (From a technical standpoint only, of course.)


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres thanks High Priest Ralibarn for arranging Ashka's funeral, the healing provided to his friends, and the offer for assistance with the doppelganger problem. "Your Grace, we also recovered a magical mirror that allows one to see the true form of a creature that is physically disguising its shape. It only works once a day for up to 10 minutes, but could be useful in unmasking the doppelgangers infiltrating the city. Is this something that the Temple would wish to purchase?"

"Also, would it be possible for my friends and I to rest here this evening? It may not be safe for us at the Crooked House," Feres comments, indicating Ashka's slain form.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Waiting to hear from you, BT.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The temple is happy to buy the mirror from you and also to let you sleep there as long as you like. High Priest Ralibarn also expresses a hope that you "give those bastards hell" and asks if you need some berserkers to accompany you. They have also finished enchanting Feres's scimitar. Did I forget anything?


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

What price do they pay for the mirror?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

They offer you 5000 gp for it.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Sold! The party rests for the night and in the morning, Valgrim does a little shopping per the OOC thread and once the party is ready, we head off to the smithy.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

In the moning, feeling quite refreshed, Bubba announces to the others that he would like to try something that might yield some information about Allustan's condition and surroundings. He remains at the the temple while Valgrim does his shopping.

BT:
Bubba casts scrying to se if Allustan's is stil alive and to get a look at his surroundings. Since Allustan is friendly, Bubba is hoping he will automatically fail the Will save.


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres thanks High Priest Raliburn for granting his friends sanctuary at the temple for for enchanting his scimitar (Feres pays the High Priest 2000 gp for enhancing the scimitar).

"Some berserkers might be helpful," Feres responds to the High Priest's offer. "Valgrim? What do you think?"

Feres would like to check on Ilya Starmane to make sure she returned safely from the doppelgangers' hideout and to retrieve his masterwork crossbow before we head for the sewers.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug will go shopping with Valgrim as well, looking for a Headband of Intellect +2 and a Cloak of Resistance +1.

She also prepares an extract of Detect Thoughts and scans the two magic crystals.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Sure, more berserkers, as long as they can fight." Valgrim puts them through some sparring sessions, as long as they're willing, and if he can tell their relative level of skill, he will then determine if they can come or he's leading them to the slaughter. After that, he goes shopping with Vug.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Bubba:

Spoiler:
To your unmigitated surprise you find Allustan pottering about in his home in Wolfstone. seemingly untroubled.

Vug:

Spoiler:
One of the gems contains a copy of the mind of a foppish nobleman, Syra Viniira, who is an expert on wine and etiquette. The other contains a captain of the militia, Durgan Shatterhelm, expert of the watch routines and patterns.

Feres:

Spoiler:
Ilya Starmane seems to have made it home alright. The butler answering the door is very suspicious about you until he understands that you are the one that saved her. Apparently her father isn't crazy that she gave you the pendant, but everyone is happy that she is safe, and steps have been taken to expose the nefarious plot.

Valgrim:

Spoiler:
Honestly, as far as you can tell, you would be leading them to slaughter. They are all very brave and devout but hardly seasoned fighters.

You can easily purchase all the things you mentioned.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim thanks the High Priest for his offer and commends the bravery of his berserkers but politely declines. "These men would fall quickly and violently to the type of enemies we will face and I do not want their deaths on my conscience. I think we will do okay on our own." After his shopping spree, Valgrim gathers the party. "Well, we can expect the mind flayer will be ready for us, with his mind blast and magic. We can also expect to probably fight more dark elves and doppelgangers, since they seem to be his thralls. Vug, could you prepare another Fly extract and Enlarge Person for me? Those proved very useful last time. Detect invisibility and purge invisibility spells would be helpful as well for any unseen foes. Vug, Friar, and Vulcan, be prepared for drow darkness. At least we know his lair is underground, which helps me a little. That's all I have for now." Are we ready to go or do we have to wait another day? When ready, we head to the forge.


Male Human Cleric 14

After he visits Ilya Starmane, Feres returns to the temple and repairs Vug's bow. Cast Make Whole on Vug's bow.

Do we want to talk to Eligos and see if he knows any more than we do about mind flayers and dark elves?


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Sure, might help.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba tells the others:

"As far as I can determine Allustan is safe and sound back in Wolfstone."

Bubba takes 20 on a knowledge check to learn something about squid-face Knowledge (dungeoneering) 20 + 9 = 29


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug lovingly strokes her mended bow, but interrupts at the suggestion of entering the sewers. "Hang on, f-f-folks. These crystals have the memories of the nobleman Syra Viniira and the captain of the militia Durgan Shatterhelm. We better warn someone that they've probably been replaced by doppelgangers!!"

Vug prepares an extract of Fly and an extract of Enlarge Person for Valgrim, and an extract of Communal Darkvision for everyone to share. She'll also prepare an extract of See Invisibility for herself, and another for anyone else who wants one.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"I'll take a see invisibility drink. Does it taste as bad as the one that was supposed to make me grow wings?"


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Nice job, Vug. Let's share this information with the High Priest, so he can use the mirror he just bought from us to uncover the doubles. Maybe there's a reward from the city for us or the Church."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

I don't think you can take 20 on a Knowledge check, but you can get a +5 by consulting the local library. Or ask Eligos or someone else knowledgeable.

Eligos is happy to receive you and a little confused at the news that Allustan is back in Wolfstone. It makes him wonder if if was the real Allustan that he met with.

With the information you provided the temple of Sarenrae and others, the remaining doppelgangers are captured or flee (you think). At least the back of infiltration scheme is broken.

Eligos can fill you in about the dungeon-dwelling menaces to about the level of what is common player knowledge - i e mindblast, extraction, spell resistance, poison use and so on.

You ready to go get them?


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 14

I say we go make teach those worthless bastards a lesson. Besides I think I may have picked up that lightning trick.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Yes, let's go. But before we start nosing around, we should all take a sip from these two f-f-flasks. The f-first will let us see in the dark -- I guess Valgrim can skip that one -- and the second should protect us from electricity. The f-first will last a couple of hours, but the other one will only last about fifteen minutes."

"Oh, and to answer your question, Bub -- no, they don't taste terrible. They taste..." She gropes for the right word. "...distinctive. They definitely taste distinctive."

Extracts:

  • See Invisibility and True Strike for Bub
  • Fly and Enlarge Person for Valgrim
  • Invisibility, Shield and See Invisibility for Vug
  • Communal Resist Energy and Communal Darkvision for everyone

    Any other requests?


  • Male Human Cleric 14

    Any requests for spells you all would like Feres to prepare?


    Male Half-Orc Bard 11

    "Distinctive, eh?"

    Not that it matters this time, but the Loremaster Bard class feature allows Bubba to take 20 on a knowledge check once per day, and take 10 on any Knowledge check he is trained in.


    Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

    "Yes. You know...unforgettable," she adds vaguely.


    Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

    Forgot about Loremaster, sorry. A 29 means that you can basically crack open a 3.5 MM if you need to. At least you can tell that they are not innate spellcasters, even if they have some spell-like abilities.


    Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

    Feres, I would prefer you prepare another FoM. In my opinion, best spell in the book, arcane or divine.


    Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

    How about Magic Circle against Evil or Communal Protection from Evil (from Ultimate Combat)? Note that Communal Resist Energy is also a cleric spell, but Vug prepared one anyways.


    Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 14

    Yeah the Protection from Evil defense against mental influence is a big one in this scenario."

    Vulcan chuckles at Vug's description of the concoctions. "As long as they keep us alive they're fine by me. We should save the electricity protection ones until just before we engage them."


    Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

    Pro. Evil is also a good choice, as it will help with charms and/or possession. Freedom of movement helps with grapples, difficult terrain, underwater, slow/hold person spells, entangle, etc. And it's got an 80 minute duration if cast by Friar. Just sweet.

    As the party heads over to the Cold Forge, Valgrim tells the group, "I feel I haven't been using my full skills to their maximum potential. Believe it or not, I can be quite quiet and stealthy, if I wish it. I feel I should be 30' in front of the party. I've got great movement and the best eyes in the party with darkvision so I should be able to spot any traps. Maybe this way, we'll catch surprise on someone instead of always reactin' to danger. I'm the hardiest so if there's danger, I can take a beatin' while dishin' some of my own. Same if I attract area spells from casters, I'll only get hit. What do ya think?"

    3,351 to 3,400 of 5,536 << first < prev | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | next > last >>
    Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

    Want to post a reply? Sign in.

    ©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.