Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


3,301 to 3,350 of 5,878 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>

Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Look at the f-f-fancy machine? Don't mind if I do!"

Vug checks the area for traps and then makes a beeline right for the contraption.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (2) + 11 = 13

Arcana (?) check to figure out what the machine does: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba examines the items.

Spellcraft (axe): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28
Spellcraft (ring): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Spellcraft (wand): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

You have a Frost greataxe +1, a Ring of Protection +2 and a Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds with 26 charges. Not too shabby, if I may say so.

It's hard to tell what the contraption does, but it seems to be related to mindreading.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan takes a deep breath as the healing flame washes over him, the burns healing as he shudders.

"Much appreciated, next time I decide to run through a wall of fire, just hit me over the head." Vulcan says inspecting the scroll.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Does anyone want to sit in this chair? I bet I can f-f-figure out how it works," Vug suggests.


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres glances nervously at his companions upon hearing Vug's suggestion. "Perhaps they left an instruction manual lying around somewhere?" he replies weakly.

Feres will hold onto the Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds if no one objects.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Not being yer guinea pig, elf! Since you're too preoccupied with these flasks and such, I'll check the dais and the throne. I like stone more anyway." Perception check on dais: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (4) + 16 = 20..add +2 for stone; For throne: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (10) + 16 = 26..add +2 for stone

Hope no one minds but Valgrim loves him some frost greataxe!
"Oooh, it feels cold to the touch!"


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15
Friar Feres wrote:
Feres will hold onto the Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds if no one objects.

Go right ahead. Vug would be glad to take the ring of protection, on account of being stabbed in the face multiple times recently, but she'll defer to anyone else who wants it.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

There are two locked containers near the bed with the straps. The Allustan doppelganger has a key ring, which fits. Inside there are two large (and presumably valuable) gems.

Searching the throne turns up a button which is not trapped, and which when pressed opens a secret door in the back wall.

Behind the throne is a small chamber filled with ostentatious accoutrements. There is a bed, wardrobe, desk, and a small table in this room. The walls are covered in rich red velvet curtains and a strange rug of shifting, writhing geometric patterns on the floor. A large, full-body mirror stands in one corner of the room.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Any of this stuff detect magical, Bubba?" In the meantime, Valgrim searches through the wardrobe, desk, and room.
Perception: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29..add +2 for stone
"These clothes and the rug may be worth something."


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba looks for magical auras in the room.

Vug keeping the ring of protection +2 is fine with me.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The rug and mirror are magical and there is something magical in the chest also. It's locked but not trapped (as far as Valgrim can ascertain).


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim calls Vug over to try the key ring or if not, to unlock the chest.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug will reluctantly open the chest, expecting at any moment to be punched in the face by a mimic.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

One of the keys on the ring fits the lock. Inside the chest is a host of forged and original City State documents detailing treaties, merchant dealings, and religious papers.

In addition to these there is a sack containing 1,500 gp, a scroll of Dominate person, and a missive written with a strange alien hand. The message reads: "I have a task for you, thrall. Meet me at the sewer junction beneath the cold forge and I will give you the details. There are some troublesome small minds that must be removed." The document is signed with some sort of symbol made to look like a spiraling tentacle (identical to that on the doppelganger's forehead).

Aside from the contents of the chest, the wardrobe contains one of each outfit from the Core Rulebook as well as 500 gp in jewelry.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"I wonder if we are the 'small minds'?"

Bubba examines the rug and the mirror.

Spellcraft (rug): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Spellcraft (mirror): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

"And I just thought of something. If this thing was impersonating Allustan, I am worried about the real Allustan."

Bubba wil take the dominate person scroll if no one else wants it.


Male Human Cleric 14

"That's a troubling thought, Bubba. We'd better get back and check on Allustan and Ashka to make sure they're safe."

Question for BT: Has it been more than 5.5 hours since we took our swim? If so, our Water Breathing spell has worn off.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

BT, does the mirror weigh 250 lbs or less? Is it smaller than 30 cubic feet? If so, it fits into the Bag of Holding (Type I) we found. Valgrim's heavy load is 300 lbs with 18 Strength so he should be able to tell how much it weighs by trying to lift it.

We take the sack of gold, documents, missive, magic rug, and jewelry and put the mirror in the Bag of Holding. If it's too heavy, then we leave it and make a note to come back for it later. "Be careful, there is at least one doppler left in the maze! Are we leaving him alone?"

If we make it through the maze, on our way back to the pool room, we check the 6 dead doppelgangers we left in the hallway to see if they had the standard gear of MW studded leather and magic sword.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The Water breathing spell is still running. The mirror weighs exactly 250 lbs, so you should be able to stuff it into the bag.

The six doppelgangers in the hallway have no special equipment. You get as far as the pool room before it is time to roll for initiative.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vucan observes in unusual silence, trying to piece together the enemy's larger plan.

Sure Bubba, Vulcan's a combat sorceror, not a manipulator. You keep the scroll.

Init 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15


Male Human Cleric 14

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 1


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Surely with her new AC of 25, Vug is now INVINCIBLE!!!


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

As you return to the pool room, suddenly your minds are assaulted by a cacaphony of divergent sensations, right before the room is shrouded in darkness, and your light sources go out. Bubba and Valgrim are unhampered, thanks to their darkvision.

Before everything goes dark you notice a door in the wall to your left that wasn't there earlier. A squid-faced creature wearing robes embroidered with the same symbol that the doppelganger wore on its forehead disappears behind two black-skinned elves in chain shirts.

You all need to make a Will 23 save to resist the mind blast. If you make it you are up. Combat map updated.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim Will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19..+4 if spell or spell-like ability. BT, you have to tell me if +4 applies or not.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug can only save on a 20.

1d20 ⇒ 12


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Male Human Cleric 14

DC 23 Will save: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32

Round One:

Feres whirls about as the mental assault washes over him harmlessly. As the lights go out, he offers a hearfelt prayer to the Everlight, causing his body to appear to become immolated in a fiery cascade of red flames as he draws his morningstar.

Standard action to cast Fire Shield on self: any creature attacking Feres with its body or handheld weapons deals normal damage but at the same time the attacker takes 1d6+7 points of fire damage. If the attacker has spell resistance, it applies to this attack. Move action to draw morningstar.

Feres' AC: 18
Feres' HP: 58/58


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Yay! Someone made the save!


Male Human Cleric 14

Too bad I can't see in darkness!

On a positive note: if we survive this battle, we may have enough XP to level up!


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

On another positive note, the mind blast is spell-like so Valgrim made the save too.

Valgrim and Vulcan to go. Bubba and Vug are stunned by the overload of conflicting mental images.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Will save1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Vulcan reels from the sensations bombarding his mind.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Yay for save! Valgrim rages for his last round of the day, moves to P14, and tries to cleave both elves with his new greataxe! He then looks at the squiggly creature and says, "Mess with my mind?! I'm coming for ya, so you're next!"

Primary Attack at Elf in O14: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
Damage: 1d12 + 16 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + 16 + (1) = 19
Cleave attack at Elf in O15: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Damage: 1d12 + 16 + 1d6 ⇒ (8) + 16 + (4) = 28
AC: 17


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Valgrim advances and slashes both elves, which then move to surround him, dropping their crossbows in favor of masterwork rapiers. One of them stabs him for 7 points of damage, while the other tries to disarm him. Meanwhile the squiggly caster hits him with an empowered Ray of Enfeeblement for a -6 strength penalty (Fort 17 for half).

Valgrim and Feres are up, since the rest of you are still reeling.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Durrrr..."


Male Human Cleric 14

Does Feres' Fire Shield provide any illumination to counter the darkness effect?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

It creates an area of dim light 10 feet around you. Opponents have concealment but at least you can see.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Fort Save: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 + 4 = 23...success!
-3 Str due to spell and -2 Str due to fatigue (-5 Str)

Valgrim swings twice at the elves, starting with the one in P15 and then steps to O14:

First attack: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Damage: 1d12 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + 2 + (3) = 9
Second attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Damage: 1d12 + 2 + 1d6 ⇒ (9) + 2 + (1) = 12
AC: 20
HP: 67/74


Male Human Cleric 14

Round Two:

The flames sheathing Feres' form provide him with just enough illumination to perceive the shadowy forms of Valgrim flanked by the two black-skinned elves. The stout priest utters another prayer to his Goddess invoking Her divine protection, and then steps around the battle to flank one of the elves threatening Valgrim.

Standard action to cast Protection from Evil on self, granting +2 deflection bonus to AC, +2 resistance bonus to saves (raises Feres' saves by +1 due to his Cloak of Resistance), and protection against mind controlling effects. Move action to move to square P12 by moving through square R12 to Q11 to P12 to avoid AoO and to flank elf in square P13.

Reminder: Anyone attacking Feres with a melee or natural weapon receives 1d6+7 points of fire damage (spell resistance applies).

Feres' AC: 20 vs evil creatures
Feres' HP: 58/58


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Valgrim cuts down one of the elves and Feres moves into position after fortifying himself with the power of the Dawnflower. The rest of you are still trying to regain your composure.

The remaining elf takes a stab at Valgrim, but is deflected by his armor. The squiggly creature spits a stream of curses and then sends an empowered Lightning bolt your way, hitting everyone but Feres for 25 points of electricity damage (Reflex 19 halves) and frying the elf. Then it moves away into the darkness.

Valgrim and Feres to go, then the monster.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Reflex: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11

Ouch...so some of her equipment possibly takes damage.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Reflex save: 1d20 + 5 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 5 + 4 = 13..fails!

Valgrim shocked by the lightning bolt charges the fleeing mage to H15 with power attack! "I will see you bleed!"

Charge: 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 7 + 2 = 28
Damage: 1d12 + 1d6 + 8 ⇒ (10) + (3) + 8 = 21
AC: 18
HP: 42/74

**EDIT: Ignore attack roll, I forgot Valgrim is fatigued this round and cannot charge...damn! Instead, he moves to O12, next to Friar and readies an action to attack with vital strike should the mage appear within reach.

"Don't go down the corridor yet Friar, he'll just blast us with his mental attack or more lightning bolts."


Male Human Cleric 14

"Keep an eye on those elves, Valgrim. I'm going to use my last blessing from the Healing Flame for today, and I can't see them well enough to exclude them from the healing energy."

Feres calls upon the blessings of his Goddess to channel a burst healing energy to mend some of the damage inflicted upon his friends by the squid-faced creature.

Channel Energy (Healing): 4d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 6, 1) = 12 hp healed

Number of Channels used today: 7/7


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Did the darkness leave when the elves died?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Vug's longbow is destroyed by the blast. Luckily the squid-faced monster doesn't return anytime soon and certainly not before the effect of the mind blast wears off, so you can loot the elves in peace.

You also can cash in 1152 xp each.

Each drow is carrying a Potion of Cure moderate wounds as well as a tanglefoot bag and two flasks of alchemist's fire, a masterwork rapier and a masterwork hand crossbow (with bolts). Their other equipment is mundane. Their boots are caked with some sort of phosphorescent yellow fungus.

Knowledge (nature or dungeoneering):

Spoiler:
It is a relatively rare harmless fungus called Beggar’s Gold that grows in underground urban environments. It is not present in any of the nearby tunnels or sewers.

The passage where the squid-faced abomination vanished leads into the city sewers network.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan feels the build of static in the air, but in the darkness is unable to react before the searing bolt of lighting rips through his body. Were he less inured to the elements of the storm he would surely be dead, instead the fading darkness found him on one knee barely holding himself off the ground, smoke rising from his body as sparks play along his arms.

Reflex 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Fails Electricity resistance 5

Vulcan takes 20 damage leaving him with 2 hp


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
BT, you did not state the DC, though I doubt it was 5...LOL!
And that's the ding of a new level I hear!

Knowledge (dungeoneering) on squiggly face: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

"We're not in any condition to track that mage down, with my inner rage spent, Friar down to almost no spells and no healing left. I say we head back to the inn, recuperate, sell our treasure, and then focus on the language of the note: Meet me at the sewer junction beneath the cold forge and I will give you the details. How many forges could there be in the city?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Ah, I missed the DC. It should say 15. And as long as you are headed back to the inn and spend a night (probably the sensible thing to do anyway) you are welcome to level up.

Congratulations to your new level by the way. And to another hero point each for getting this far.


Male Human Cleric 14

Sweet! Thanks, BT!

3,301 to 3,350 of 5,878 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.