Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


3,001 to 3,050 of 5,881 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>

Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Sorry about the delay. Spent most of the week picking up my lost marbles.

OK, map up. Valgrim goes first, then the monsters.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim screams "Invisible assailants!" and grips his greataxe in 2 hands and readies an action to swing his weapon at his invisible attacker the next time he gets hit.

50% miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 51
Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Damage: 1d12 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Valgrim draws blood, landing a solid hit, and his foe retaliates with a savage blow to his neck for 18 points of damage.

Bubba's foe simply pushes him off the bridge and into the water, where he is impaled on a rusty shortsword for 7 points of damage. A skull grins at him from below. It's a Climb 10 to get back up.

You are up, all of you.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug throws a stink bomb at the estimated location of the invisible beings (judging from the fact that they're attacking Valgrim and Bub).

not targeting a particular creature, just a grid intersection

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (15) + 11 = 26 vs. AC 5, 7 splash damage, DC 16 or be nauseated for 1d4+1 rounds.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba casts haste from below, trying to affect Valgrim, himself and Vulcan for sure, and Feres if possible.

hp 39/57


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Vug, could you specify an intersection? The attacks are coming from the right. And Bubba, you will need a Swim check (DC 5, or 10 to move) and a Concentration check (DC 13) for casting spells while swimming.


Male Human Cleric 14

Round One:

"Blessed Sarenrae! Grant us Your favor as we battle these hidden assailants!" Feres calls upon the power of his deity, summoning forth a burst of warm radiance that washes over his companions.

"Vug, do you have any rope? We need to get Bubba out of there," the stout priest asks after he completes his spell.

Standard action to cast Prayer, granting all allies in 40-ft burst a +1 luck bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and skill checks; enemies receive -1 penalty on such rolls; no saving throw; spell resistance applies (Caster Level Check if needed: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17); duration 7 rounds. Free action to speak to Vug.

Feres' AC: 18, touch 10, flat-footed 18
Feres' HP: 58/58

Active Effects: Prayer rnd 1/7


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15
Black Tom wrote:
Vug, could you specify an intersection?

Oh...no room for a stinking cloud there. Let me rephrase.

Vug tries to throw a regular firebomb at the square that Valgrim attacked, avoiding Valgrim with the splash.

50% miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 30

4d6 + 3 ⇒ (1, 6, 2, 6) + 3 = 18 damage


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Swim : 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 3 - 2 = 20
Concentration: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Vulcan stands alert waiting for the attackers to betray themselves.

Held action to fire magic missile spell at 1st attacker to betray position.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Vulcan Stormwrath wrote:

Vulcan stands alert waiting for the attackers to betray themselves.

Held action to fire magic missile spell at 1st attacker to betray position.

Sorry, Magic missile is a targeted spell, which means that you need to see the target, not just know where they are.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Feres and Bubba strengthen you with their magic, while Vug lobs a bomb that seems to singe the invisible combatant. Valgrim and Vulcan delay.

The invisible assailants press their attack. Valgrim is hit for 11 points while the other one turns on Vug, who is also hit for 11 points of damage.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Don't know if Bubba got Haste off..

Valgrim swings where he felt the last attack, now that he is bleeding more severely:

Hasted attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
Damage: 1d12 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 67
1st attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Damage: 1d12 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 95
2nd attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Damage: 1d12 + 13 ⇒ (7) + 13 = 20
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 26

HP: 38/74
AC w/no Dex due to invisible creature: 19 (20 if hasted)


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

Frustrated by his inability to target the invisible enemy, Vulcan pulls out a scroll and quickly chants, pointing so a spot well ahead of Valgrim as the point seems to explode into a burst of thick webbing.

Web centered at K11 spreading 20ft in all direction so hitting spot right in front of Valgrim


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Keep it up guys!"

Bubba starts Inspire Courage +2, staying in the water.

Swim: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 3 - 2 = 18


Male Human Cleric 14

Round Two:

Active Effects on Party:
Prayer: +1 luck bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and skill checks; enemies receive -1 penalty on such rolls. Round 2/7.
Haste: One extra attack at full BAB when making full attack; +1 bonus (untyped) to attack; +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves; all modes of movement increased by 30 ft enhancement bonus. Round 2/7.
Inspire Courage: +2 competence bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls; +2 morale bonus to saves vs. charm and fear effects.

Seeing Vug wounded, Feres swings his morningstar blindly at the space in front of the elf alchemist, hoping to wound the invisible assailant.

Guessing that the invisible attacker is in square I-19; Full attack action for extra attack from Haste.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 11
50% Miss chance (1-50 hit; 51-100 miss): 1d100 ⇒ 12

Haste Attack: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 9
50% Miss chance (1-50 hit; 51-100 miss): 1d100 ⇒ 97

Feres' AC: 18, touch 10, flat-footed 18
Feres' HP: 58/58


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug squawks and steps back a pace, throwing a tanglefoot bag at the source of the attack in order to make it easier to track.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29 touch

50% miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 89


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Sorry for the delay. Personal crisis here. Just drew a square to represent the web. Not quite accurate, but it will do.

Valgrim and Feres both draw blood (or ichor or whatever) from their foes, but they still fight on. Vug lobs a tanglefoot bag at one but the sticky strands disappear as they stick to the invisible foe. It does slow it down a little, though. Behind Valgrim Vulcan conjures an entire clouds of sticky strings, cutting off the retreat for Valgrim's foe. Bubba treads water and keeps your spirits up.

Bubba, with that swim check you can actually move at half speed so just tell me where you want to be.

The monsters retaliate, hitting Valgrim for 8 points of damage and Feres for 21.

Your turn. At least by now you have no difficulty pinpointing the enemy.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Previous round:

Bubba tries to climb back up.

Climb: 1d20 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 3 - 2 = 10 (11 with prayer, going to J16)

This round:

Bubba casts glitterdust. (DC 17, centered at G/H-18/19, to affect the creature in I19)

"I see you!"

Maintaining Inspire Courage +2 10/15
hp 52/57


Male Human Cleric 14

Round Three:

Active Effects on Party:
Prayer: +1 luck bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and skill checks; enemies receive -1 penalty on such rolls. Round 3/7.
Haste: One extra attack at full BAB when making full attack; +1 bonus (untyped) to attack; +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves; all modes of movement increased by 30 ft enhancement bonus. Round 3/7.
Inspire Courage: +2 competence bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls; +2 morale bonus to saves vs. charm and fear effects.

Keeping an eye on the punishment that his companions are taking, Feres takes a step back from his assailant and channels a burst of healing energy to mend some of his companions' wounds.

5 ft step back to square K-21. Standard action to Channel Energy (Healing), excluding the two invisible assailants via Selective Channeling now that we know where they are.

Channel Energy (Healing): 4d6 ⇒ (6, 1, 5, 1) = 13 hp healed

Number of Channels used today: 2/7

Feres' AC: 18, touch 10, flat-footed 18
Feres' HP: 50/58


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim attacks the assailant next to him again!

Hasted attack: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 10 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 17
Damage: 1d12 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 12 + 1 = 19
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 66
Normal attack: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 34
Damage: 1d12 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 1 = 21
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 97
Second attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 25
Damage: 1d12 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 12 + 1 = 21
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 16
AC: 20 against invisible creatures
HP: 43/74
*If subject to crits: Confirmation roll: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 10 + 1 + 2 + 1 = 32
Additional Damage: 2d12 + 26 ⇒ (7, 7) + 26 = 40


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug fires some arrows at the nearest invisible monster.

including PBS, Rapid Shot, Haste and Inspire Courage

1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 = 311d8 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 71d100 ⇒ 25

1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 = 291d8 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 111d100 ⇒ 15

1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 = 241d8 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 71d100 ⇒ 80


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Bubba turns the tables on the invisible attackers with his magic, outlining one of the vaguely humanoid shapes and blinding it. Valgrim cuts down the other one, sending it splashing into the water.

As the creature becomes visible, Vug peppers it with arrows. Feres sends some healing energies your way and Vulcan delays.

Despite being blinded and hampered by all sorts of magic the creature manages to sock Feres for 7 points of damage.

Your turn. One down, one to go, and although it's no longer blind it's still visible.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

With a sinister grin Vulcan raises a hand, shouting an arcane phrase as he sends a bolt of scorching heat streaking towards the entangled glimmering outline.

Ranged touch w/haste1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
4d6 ⇒ (4, 2, 5, 3) = 14


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug keeps firing.

including PBS, Rapid Shot, Haste and Inspire Courage

1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 = 301d8 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 11
1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 = 161d8 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 7
1d20 + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 11 + 1 - 2 + 1 + 2 = 281d8 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 10


Male Human Cleric 14

Round Four:

Active Effects on Party:
Prayer: +1 luck bonus to attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and skill checks; enemies receive -1 penalty on such rolls. Round 2/7.
Haste: One extra attack at full BAB when making full attack; +1 bonus (untyped) to attack; +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves; all modes of movement increased by 30 ft enhancement bonus. Round 2/7.
Inspire Courage: +2 competence bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls; +2 morale bonus to saves vs. charm and fear effects.

Now that the creature is revealed, Feres swings his morningstar twice in an attempt to finish it off.

Full attack action for extra attack from Haste.

Attack: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 10

Haste Attack: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 32
Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 7

Critical Hit Confirmation: 1d20 + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 8 + 2 + 1 + 1 = 32
Extra Critical Hit Damage: 1d8 + 2 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 2 + 1 = 10

SWEET!

Feres' AC: 19, touch 11, flat-footed 18 (now that the creature is visible, Feres can take advantage of the dodge bonus to AC from Haste)
Feres' HP: 43/58


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15
Vulcan Stormwrath wrote:

With a sinister grin Vulcan raises a hand, shouting an arcane phrase as he sends a bolt of scorching heat streaking towards the entangled glimmering outline.

Ranged touch w/haste1d20+6
4d6

ATTACK 15

DAMAGE 17 with all bonuses


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba whips the now visible creature.

Hasted attack 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 10 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 25
Damage: 1d4 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 10
Attack 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 10 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 34
Damage: 1d4 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 7
Crit confirmation: 1d20 + 10 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 10 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 20
Crit damage: 1d4 + 3 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 3 + 1 + 2 = 8

Maintaining Inspire Courage +2 9/15
hp 52/57


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The creature succumbs to your combined assault, ending the battle. You get 1280 xp for this.

After the webs dissolve you are free to gingerly try the board and sure enough you find a locked door around the corner.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug mutters "Wait a sec -- let me mix up a quick elixir so that this doesn't happen again."

After a minute, she prepares a formula of See Invisibility.


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres channels another burst of healing energy to mend his companions' wounds.

Channel Energy (Healing): 4d6 ⇒ (1, 4, 2, 5) = 12

That brings Feres up to 55/58 hp, Valgrim up to 55/74 hp, and completely heals Bubba. Does anyone other than Valgrim need additional healing?

Number of Channels used today: 3/7


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

""Wait, what were they?" Bubba takes a close look at one of the things.

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Thank you, Padre", as Feres' healing energies wash over him. "Those things hit hard!"

No one else is hurt, Feres. Your two previous channels healed the rest of the party.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Knowledge (planes) 17:

Spoiler:
They were Invisible stalkers, malevolent and naturally invisible extraplanar creatures often summoned as guardians or assassins.

Will post more when I get home.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

"These creatures were not of this plane, somebody summoned them here, to act as guardians I suppose."


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres uses a few charges from the curative wand on Valgrim.

CLW Wand, charge #1: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
CLW Wand, charge #2: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
CLW Wand, charge #3: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
CLW Wand, charge #4: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
CLW Wand, charge #5: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

I believe that gets Valgrim back to full strength.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The far wall of this chamber look like they used to contain doors for accepting river cargo, but these have been boarded over. The only visible exit is the locked door mentioned above.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug flies over to the locked door and inspects it for traps &c.

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (20) + 11 = 31


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"So, what you're saying Bubba, is that some arcane type most likely summoned those guardians. Great, how I love magic!" Valgrim mutters some unintelligible words, as he watches Vug inspect the door. He also gives Friar a nod for the healing.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The door looks safe enough, but is locked.


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

"Obviously there was something worth protecting. Shall we?" Vulcan steps onto the bridge following the others.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug tries picking the lock (take 10 for a total of 25).


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The lock yields to Vug's efforts. The large chamber behind it (20 times 30 feet) is empty aside from two holes in the floor, one a jagged rip where the floor has fallen away, the other a perfectly square opening with a shaft leading down. The shaft is full of water after about thirty-five feet and a wooden barrel bobs on the surface. A crude rope ladder descends to the surface of the water.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug looks nervous. "Maybe I better brew up a couple more elixirs."

If she's given a couple of minutes, she whips up an extract of Protection from Energy and one of Vomit Swarm.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Can you whip up an elixir of water breathing, Vug?"


Male Human Sorceror (Stormborn) 15

"While I don't have one of water breathing, you'd probably benefit from this the most,Valgrim. " Vulcan says, drawing a swirling blue potion.

Touch of the Sea


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Nope, I don't know anything about underwater breathing. Gee...do you think we'll have to? Go underwater, I mean."


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"That's great, Vulcan. I guess arcane magic can be useful! Hold on to that for now." Valgrim shoots him a smile.

"I don't know, Vug if we have to. We'll search the chamber, give you time to prep your uber-potions, and see if there are any secrets to be found, but if not, it looks like only way to go is down through the water."

Valgrim starts searching the room, taking 20 on Perception check for a total of 36, 38 if it involves stone.


Male Human Cleric 14

"Sarenrae blessed me with a spell that allows us to breathe underwater," Feres informs his companions. "I figured it might be useful when I prayed for my spells this morning, with us investigating an old building on the river and all. It will affect all of us, and will last for about two and a half hours."


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Do you? We'll you're a font of handy spells, father. Although I just found out I'm a decent swimmer."

3,001 to 3,050 of 5,881 << first < prev | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.