Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


251 to 300 of 5,850 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"So our choices are topple it and set off pressure plate or come back later? What's the vote? I say topple. Traps don't scare me!"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"It looks like if we want to progress, we have to push it over, traps or no. I say we push. Traps don't scare me either."

Bubba is a slow learner when it comes to things like traps.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Maybe at the same time as we're pushing the big stone away, we can be pushing a smaller stone onto the plate to keep it held down."

Vug looks around for another, smaller stone that might be suitable to the task.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Vug Vang wrote:

"Maybe at the same time as we're pushing the big stone away, we can be pushing a smaller stone onto the plate to keep it held down."

Vug looks around for another, smaller stone that might be suitable to the task.

Yes, you could wedge it down with a Disable Device check. Of course you'd run the risk of setting it off.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Chisora, I bet between the two of us, we could disable this pressure plate. I think I saw you using some useful tools before that f-face started blowing; lend me some of them, and I can help, I'm sure. And F-father F-feres can say a prayer for us..."

Vug Vang takes off her heavy studded leather apron so that she's more free to move.

If Vug Vang takes 10 on Disable Device (assuming Chisora lends her some tools), that's a result of 19. With a Guidance spell from Father Feres, and Aid Another from Chisora, we could boost that up to 20 or 22. That might not be enough to disarm the trap, but I doubt we'll set it off at any rate.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Vug Vang wrote:
If Vug Vang takes 10 on Disable Device (assuming Chisora lends her some tools), that's a result of 19. With a Guidance spell from Father Feres, and Aid Another from Chisora, we could boost that up to 20 or 22. That might not be enough to disarm the trap, but I doubt we'll set it off at any rate.

You can't take 10 since there is risk involved, but feel free to boost your roll as well as you can. The trap is not overly complicated, so the DC isn't too high.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Chisora allows Vug to make use of her Tools and offers her assistance in trying to bypass the stone block.

Cast guidance on herself.
Aid Another Disable Device Check: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 1 = 10


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug Vang gives it her best shot.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24, +1 if Father Feres will offer her some Guidance.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Vug Vang manages to wedge some materials into the edges of the pressure plate, keeping it down even should the slab be removed and earning you 100 xp each.

Do you want to try to topple the slab now?


Male Human Cleric 14

Friar Feres says a prayer to Sarenrae as Vug and Chisora work upon the pressure plate.

Casts Guidance on Vug.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Chisora finishes helping and steps back to admire Vug's work. Nodding her head at the Alchemist's skill, she looks towards the Half-Orcs and motions them over. "Your turn now," she says matter of factly.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Vey well." Bubba nods to Urg and move to push the slab over.

Strength check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Let me take a shot!"

Strength check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug Vang's dexterity mutagen lasts 10 minutes; let me know when the 10 minutes are up.

Vug lends her shoulder to tipping the stone over, now that the trap has been disarmed to her satisfaction.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

"Gee...<ungh>...I wonder if someone was trying to keep something out of this tunnel...<ungh>...or keep something shut in...<urk>...or maybe this was the smallest stone they could f-find to set off the trap..."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

It takes you a few tries but finally you manage to topple the slab that falls with a thundering noise, raising a cloud of dust. When the dust settles you look down a 60 feet long corridor.

Curious carvings that seem to represent a stirring tempest cover the walls of this tenfoot-wide passage. At ten-foot intervals, small alcoves flank the passage, and each alcove contains an androgynous humanoid figure with cupped hands. The figures stand roughly seven feet tall. A faint wind seems to play within the passage, but it’s difficult to tell where it’s coming from.

A marching order would be handy, and you could also make some Perception checks.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Perception Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Chisora will either take the rear if single file, or next to Friar Feres if two abreast.


Male Half-Orc Barbarian 2 (2462 XP, 2 hero points)

Urg will take the lead. (Of course, in a ten-foot-wide passage, it should be possible for TWO characters to take the lead.)

Perception = 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

If it's 10' wide, Valgrim will be to Urg's left.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug Vang will be in the second rank, behind Valgrim.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

As you cautiously proceed down the corridor Urg is suddenly targeted with a magical attack and needs to make a Will save vs. 13.

Roll for initiative.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Male Half-Orc Barbarian 2 (2462 XP, 2 hero points)

Will save = 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (17) + 0 = 17

Initiative = 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

init: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres will be at the rear alongside Chisora, or just in front of Chisora if we are single-file.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 7


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba takes the second rank next to Vug.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

For simplicity I will assume that the monster beats Chisora's initiative, since it goes on 21. The corridor is wide enough for you to be in double file, so I'll assume you are. The monster is 15 feet ahead of Urg, hiding in an alcove. I hope we'll do without a map (or we'll whip one up).

To you it looks like one of the statues has suddenly grown a pair of eyeballs staring evilly at you, but on closer inspection they are connected by some sort of twiny muscles running around the statue's neck.

Urg needs to make another Will save as the creature shoots a magic ray at him from the eyeballs. Then you are up.


Male Half-Orc Barbarian 2 (2462 XP, 2 hero points)

What was my FIRST will save for?

Will save = 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Urg Legbreaker wrote:

What was my FIRST will save for?

Will save = 1d20 + 0

Same thing, just the surprise round.

As the sickly green beam strikes Urg he is overwhelmed by fear and runs back to the elevator. The rest of you can act.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug throws a javelin at the...eyeballs?

atk (+ PBS): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
dmg (+ PBS): 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

"Hey, come back here Urg! We need you!"


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Being attacked by eyeballs??" Valgrim moves up 15', drawing his waraxe as he moves, and swings at the eyeballs, catching mostly the statue.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

I have a feeling that this monster looks quite a bit like the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Knowledge (dungeoneering) 15:

Spoiler:
The creature is known as a "lurking strangler". It is distantly related to the infamous Beholder, and can put people to sleep or scare them with their eye-rays, and then strangle their helpless victims. They are sometimes summoned as minions by powerful mages.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bardic Knowledge - Knowledge (dungeoneering) : 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Bubba recognizes the monster form an old book he read, and starts to loudly lecture his comrades:

"That is a creature known as a Lurking Strangler, do not be afraid! It is distantly related to the fearsome monster called the beholder, but is much less powerful. Its eye-rays will scare you or put you to sleep! We are more than a match for it. Kill it!"

Inspire Courage, +1 Attack and damage rolls and +1 saves against fear.


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres looks upon the strange creature in amazement as he listens to Bubba's words. "I don't really have anything that can affect it from back here," the stout priest thinks to himself. "And if I move up I'll just get in the warriors' way. So let's see how that thing likes getting wet!"

With that thought, Feres calls upon the power of Sarenrae to summon two gallons of water to appear directly above the creature, subsequently drenching said creature.

Cast Create Water to irritate the lurking strangler - maybe that will make its tentacles too wet to effectively grapple?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Chisora delays.

As the creature is hit by the conjured water it is obviously disturbed and mysteriously flies into the air (it has no wings but seems to be levitating of its own accord), backing off enough to shoot a ray at Valgrim while keeping out of his reach.

Valgrim needs to make a Will save vs 13. Dwarven bonus applies as does the bonus from Bubba's speech.

Then you are up again.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Valgrim joins Urg and runs screaming from the abomination.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

"Wait, don't -- oh, not you too, Valgrim!"

Peeved, Vug throws one of her special explosive concoctions at the eye-thing.

touch atk (w/ PBS & inspire courage): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
dmg (w/ PBS & inspire courage): 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
splash damage = 6 (DC 13 Ref save for 1/2)


Male Human Cleric 14

Seeing Valgrim succumb to the fearful gaze of the strange creature, Feres hefts his scimitar and shield and, with a cry of "SARENRAE!" charges to attack.

Attack (Charge): 1d20 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 1 + 1 + 2 = 17 (assumes that Bubba and Vug are not standing between Feres and the creature)
Damage: 1d6 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 1 = 7

Note, Feres' AC will take a -2 penalty until the start of his next turn, so AC 13.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba throws a tab of butter on Father Feres and continues his speech:

"The Lurking Strangler also possesses an eye-ray that will put you to sleep. It will then try to strangle you with its tentacles, but do not fear! You're slippery coating will make it difficult for the creature to hold you."

Casting grease on Father Feres giving him a +10 bonus to CMD to resiste grapple or Escape Artist to escape it.

He then moves behind Father Feres to try to get in whip-range of the creature.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Chisora delays again.

Vug's thrown concoction goes wide but does spatter the creature somewhat. Then Friar Feres deals the creature a crippling blow with his scimitar, leaving it in tatters. It retreats, blasting Feres with a Sleep ray (Will DC 13).

Then it's your turn again.


Male Half-Orc Barbarian 2 (2462 XP, 2 hero points)

Has the "Fear" effect expired yet?


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug draws her sword and rushes up to deliver a two-handed blow. Unfortunately, she almost takes Father Feres's head off.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 41d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

"Whoops...didn't see you there, F-father."


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Does this mean Bubba didn't expend his grease spell and can take another action for the round in which the creature retreated?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The fear effect still lasts I'm afraid. And to be clear the creature only retreated 5 feet, or it would have drawn an AoO.

You are right about Bubba. He would have seen that the creature was badly hurt. So I'll let you redo your action.

Bubba, Feres and Chisora can still act in the current round.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Sorry, I updated all my other PbPs yesterday, but missed this one had new posts somehow. :/

Chisora pulls out her Bow and takes aim at the creature from behind.

Attack Lurking Strangler with Longbow: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 7


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba steps up to within 15 feet of the creature and whips at it.

Whip attack: 8 + 4 = 12


Male Human Cleric 14
Black Tom wrote:
Friar Feres deals the creature a crippling blow with his scimitar, leaving it in tatters.
Bubluka wrote:
"The Lurking Strangler also possesses an eye-ray that will put you to sleep. It will then try to strangle you with its tentacles...

"Wait! Wha-?" Feres begins to ask in alarm.

Black Tom wrote:
It retreats, blasting Feres with a Sleep ray.

Will Save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

CLANG! "Zzzzzz..." Feres' scimitar clatters to the floor as the stout priest slumps down, sound asleep.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 177/177; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim continues to cower in the corner, remembering the zombie ambush!


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Chisora's arrow hits the thing and puts it out of its misery. Urg and Valgrim return a little shamefacedly and you can wake Feres.

Continuing your explorations you find that the corridor ends in a large room (40 feet square). The middle 20*20 feet is filled with a dull gray stone pillar that reaches from floor to ceiling. There are two visible exits: halls extend to your left and right.

To your right there seems to be some sort of orange sludge on the floor, looking not unlike vomit and covered in brown mold in patches.

Knowledge (dungeoneering) DC 17:

Spoiler:
This is brown mold, an infestation that absorbs heat. It absorbs your body heat if you get too close and fire causes it to grow. The best way to kill it is with magical cold.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Keeping her bow out, Chisora remains at the rear and wonders why everyone has stopped. After peering forward, she wrinkles her nose and goes back to watching back down the corridor, trusting that Vug will collect any samples she wants and deal with the foul substance accordingly.

251 to 300 of 5,850 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.