Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Whispering Cairn

Game Master Black Tom


451 to 500 of 5,753 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)
Friar Feres wrote:
"WHOA! What is that! Feres exclaims as he sees the body that Valgrim dragged back with him.

"My blessings to your goddess, as always, Friar. Her touch is so warm." Valgrim bandages the still bleeding wound. "That, my friend, is a ghoul, an undead monster who paralyzes its opponents and then sucks the marrow from its bones. It seems in life he was a member of the M&M club, just like the previous body we found. Seems to be a popular club. Well, at least his leather armor is intact and of fine quality, if any of you should care to wear it. Or we can sell it and divide the loot. Not my thing, I'd much prefer the chain mail armor we found, if that's ok with all of you, once we figure out its magical enchantment." Valgrim takes off the ghoul's armor, sword, and checks it for any other possessions or clues. "Well, I think Vug is right, we should leave and rest. We've had an eventful few hours. We should go and sell some stuff, research the magical items, and come back tomorrow fully rested and explore the other room underwater and with Vug's potions, maybe clear the beetle room we avoided on this level."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The ghoul isn't wearing any armor. In fact he is practically naked except for the ring.

I take it you are heading back to Wolfstone for now. Feel free to level up and restock on equipment and spells. Let me know if you want to sell some loot or make other inquiries.


Male Half-Orc Barbarian 2 (2462 XP, 2 hero points)

Fort save = 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Back home in Wolfstone your return and condition occasions a fair amount of curiosity (but it is of course up to you how much you are willing to divulge). You have the opportunity to sell your loot or at least get it evaluated if you like, and the resident mage Allustan puts his library and knowledge at your disposal for a small fee.

Back at the Emporium after you levelled up and cleaned up, you notice your rivals from the big city entering. Their foray has obviously been something of a disappointment and you catch them eyeing you from a distance. The woman among them, a vivacious young elf, even salutes you across the room with her tankard, while their wizard looks at you with a brooding look and the blond gladiator is busy chatting up one of the barmaids.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)
Black Tom wrote:
The ghoul isn't wearing any armor. In fact he is practically naked except for the ring.

My bad, I confused the human body with the ghoul. What do we know about the rivals? Their names? How long they been active?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The other adventurers are Auric the gladiator, Khellek the wizard and Tirra the explorer (judging from the way they dress). They hail from the City State of the Invincible Overlord and are fairly recent arrivals to Wolfstone.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug brews up an extract of Identify in her laboratory and examines the magical items (e.g. the goggles).

Spellcraft check to identify: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (18) + 17 = 35


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Vug Vang wrote:
Vug brews up an extract of Identify in her laboratory and examines the magical items (e.g. the goggles).

They are Goggles of Minute Seeing.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

And the wand? (Were there any other magic items besides those?)

1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

There were two wands, one of which is a Wand of Shatter (7 charges). You also found a set of magic chainmail and a magic shortsword under the reasonable expectation that you checked the things you found for magic auras. Your extract only lasts long enough to identify two items, but you can try using Detect magic on the other stuff if you like.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug doesn't have detect magic; Father Feres or Chisora can try the other items.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Chisora casts her healing spells on anyone in need when they rturn to town.
Just say if you need and which one you're using. :)
Casts cure light wounds: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Once back in Wolfstone, she helps Vug in her endeavours by casting detect magic on the items they found.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Since we have no idea since we didn't make the check, we ask Allustan who the M&M club is. Or, if Bubluka puts a skill point in Knowledge (Local), can he roll the check again?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Either will work, but asking Allustan will probably yield more information. On the other hand he charges 20 gp.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

He sure isn't cheap!

"Ok, Bubluka, do you really not know what the MM insignia on these armors and ring stand for? Think hard!" Bub, roll another Knowledge (Local) check!

In his spare time, Valgrim spends 8 hours crafting himself another dwarven waraxe. Craft check for the week: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18..sweet! Made the DC so it should be ready by week's end for 10 gp! In the meantime, he will buy himself a handaxe at the local armory for 6 gp, unless the price is different from book.


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

"Hmm...

Knowledge (local): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"Ha! Now I remember! It stands for Minions of Midas, some kind of crime league or thieve's guld I think..."


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Good! Are they active in Wolfstone? Would it be dangerous for us or merchants to sell/buy their wares with insignias in town?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Midas is a pretty scary character, but these items are much older than the current Midas. The original Minions were more like treasure hunters, but the current Midas has diversified into blackmail, drugdealing, selling cursed items and other forms of racketeering.

They are known for having eyes and ears everywhere and being able to reach anyone, so you never know.

I got the name from the Jack London short story. Scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

And you could try to haggle with Allustan about the price, if you like. Since it is a flat rate it's a little steep for low-level characters.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

The name of the guild is cool! I'll let the more charismatic folk in the group haggle with Allustan.

Valgrim walks up to Auric in the Emporium: "No need to eyeball us chum! Name's Valgrim Twin-Axe and them's over there are me mates. Seems your foray into the wilds have not been as lucrative as ours." Valgrim gives him a smile and tosses the barmaid a silver piece, saying:"Treat him good, he looks like he needs some consolin'!" Unless he says anything, Valgrim walks back to the party's table facing Auric and prepared for any violence; he is a gladiator after all!


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Identifying magic items:

Spellcraft for chainmail: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24
Spellcraft for wand: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
Spellcraft for shortsword: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Nice work. You've got a chainmail +1, a Wand of Unseen Servant with 16 charges and a shortsword +1.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Back at her lab, Vug crafts a potion of True Strike. She also asks her comrades whether they want any potions crafted.

--

With Valgrim at the Emporium, Vug Vang tries to avoid eye contact with the other elf as she extends her hand to Auric: "How do you do, pleased to meet you, I'm sure."


Male Human Cleric 14

Feres spends his time back in town seeing to his duties at the temple of Iomedae and ministering to the workers at Zalamandra's Emporium.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Auric casts a long glance after Valgrim, then grabs Vug's hand in a crushing grip (which he doesn't seem to be conscious of). He returns her greeting and asks: "What's wrong with your friend? I gather that your foray has been successful. Have you found any ancient treasures?"


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Not yet, but enough valuables to make it worthwhile and how has your treasure hunting gone?"


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba takes the shards, statuettes and the two suits of MM armor to see Allustan.

"We found these in the Whispering Cairn." He tells him. "I was hoping I could draw on your not insignificant stores of knowledge to tell me something about them, and offer us a fair price for them. Also, can you tell us more about the Minions of Midas?"

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 Well-Versed, using Perform (oratory) bonus.

My run of great d20 rolls has come to an end.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

At the Emporium: The wizard, who introduces himself as Khellek, joins the conversation. "The Whispering Cairn, you say. Interesting. I would have thought that it would be looted long ago. But you have managed to find some interesting stuff, eh?" He strokes his beard pensively.

Perception 25:

Spoiler:
You notice that Khellek is wearing a ring not unlike the one you found, with the emblem MM visible.

At Allustan's residence: Allustan lives in a charming little red and blue house on one of the few stretches of healthy grass there is to be found in Wolfstone. A well tended medicinal garden adorns the front of the house. He is delighted to receive Bubluka, whose parents he knows well, invites him to sit down in a worn leather armchair and offers him some sherry as he listens to the details about your exploits.

Allustan looks with great interest at the black shards, and utters an involuntary exclamation as he sees the delicate statuettes. He asks to keep them for study for a few days and hopes to be able to tell you more about them later. However he offers you 25 gp for the shards and 200 gp for each intact statuette up front (there are three of those).

As for the Minions of Midas he looks slightly worried. "It is not healthy to ask too much about those men", he says, suddenly serious. "All I can say is that the original Midas was an excentric and ruthless wizard and treasure hunter. The man who calls himself Midas today was his apprentice, I think, but the student eventually bested the master, murdered him and appropriated his organization for his own sinister ends. He is known for his twisted humor and his cruelty. Avoid him at all costs and if they ask you for anything, give it to them. That is all I can say."

"But do come back and I'll see what I can tell you about those glyphs and other things you found. I will offer you a fair price for any old relics you find."


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Bubba is overjoyed at Allustan's response to the stauettes. I am finally a real treasure hunter!.

"Do you think it would attract the attention of the Minions of Midas if we try to sell the suits of armor?" he asks him.

He eagerly accepts the payment for the items.

Sense motive: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 to get an idea if he is trying to lowball us on the value of the statuettes.

Then he adds: "I think I was remiss on not providing more information about the glyphs. When we go back I will bring some parchment and charcoal and try to get some rubbings from them."


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Perception


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Allustan looks pensive for a moment. "These armors are very old", he says. "They probably belonged to the original minions. It is possible that you might attract the attention of the minions should you sell them, but that shouldn't necessarily endanger you. Still I advise you to tread carefully."

He seems honest enough but you know that he's a shrewd negotiatior. He was once the apprentice of the great mage Manzorian, and he is no stranger to high-level backstabbing politics.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Valgrim's Perception check on Khellek:
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

"Nice to meet you Khellek. Aye, the Cairn was not as looted as once thought. What have you 3 been up to? Anything interesting?"

DM, do you want to rp the selling of my non-magical chain mail, the M&M armors, and the silver ring or do it off camera? If the latter, let us know how much we get for them.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Khellek purses his lips. "Oh, we've been investigating some other old cairns. It seems you were the lucky ones this time around. Revelation comes often in darkness."

You can sell the loot off camera. Allustan is willing to pay 200 gp for the ring, and the rest you can sell at normal price: 235 gp.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Chisora stays at the table, watching carefully while Valgrim and Vug approach the other adventurers. She sips on her wine as she scans the room to see if anyone else is interested in the exchange.
Perception Check: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug jabs Valgrim with her elbow. Why does that dwarf have to have such a big mouth?, she thinks.

"Well, good luck and all that. Valgrim, don't f-forget we need to make an early start tomorrow."


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)
Black Tom wrote:
You can sell the loot off camera. Allustan is willing to pay 200 gp for the ring, and the rest you can sell at normal price: 235 gp.

Does the 235 gp include the 75 gp silver ring?


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)
Vug Vang wrote:

Vug jabs Valgrim with her elbow. Why does that dwarf have to have such a big mouth?, she thinks.

"Well, good luck and all that. Valgrim, don't f-forget we need to make an early start tomorrow."

Valgrim shrugs at Vug's elbow. "Well, better luck next time I guess, we'll be seeing ya!" With that, Valgrim walks back to the table and when he is out of earshot of the trio, he tells the party in a whisper: "What an odd thing to say about revelation coming often in darkness. Anyway, boys and girl, we need to be careful around 'em, the wizard, Khellek, is one of those M&M boys. It's on his ring. Just watch your backs." Valgrim takes a shot of his drink. "I'm off to work on me axe. See you tomorrow morning."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Valgrim Twin-Axe wrote:
Black Tom wrote:
You can sell the loot off camera. Allustan is willing to pay 200 gp for the ring, and the rest you can sell at normal price: 235 gp.
Does the 235 gp include the 75 gp silver ring?

No. You can sell that separately, but the local jeweler, a gnome by the name of Tidwood only offers you 40 gp for it and threatens a tantrum as you demand more, asking if you are out to put him out of business. Perhaps you will hold on to that for now.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

I hope you are ready to press on. You can buy most standard equipment in the general store, and I don't suppose your resources are enough for anything very fancy.

Early the following morning (with new spells and equipment) you set out again for the Whispering Cairn. Is there anywhere in particular you want to explore?

As I see it you have three things left to explore: the room beyond the brown mold, the room with the beetles and what happens if you light all the lanterns.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Actually, didn't we miss a room underwater where we picked left instead of right and ran into the ghoul? Or am I way off?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Valgrim Twin-Axe wrote:
Actually, didn't we miss a room underwater where we picked left instead of right and ran into the ghoul? Or am I way off?

Correct. That makes four.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

"Vug, if you got some bombs ready, I think we can handle that beetle room. What say ye?"


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

One more thing -- Vug wants to get a long pole with some kind of cup at the end, suitable for scooping up a specimen of brown mold. Any chance of finding such a thing?

"I think I should be able to f-fry any beetles that come our way; I have a f-fresh batch of explosives and I'm ready to go!"


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

"Well I'd hate to think we left anything useful behind down there," Chisora says as she prepares her gear for the return trip..


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Vug Vang wrote:
One more thing -- Vug wants to get a long pole with some kind of cup at the end, suitable for scooping up a specimen of brown mold. Any chance of finding such a thing?

That should be possible, I think. Let's just say that you buy the pole and find the cup among your alchemical equipment, then just mount it on the pole.

The sarcophagus is in the same position you left it so you have no trouble getting down to the beetle room. The beetles are still there so I guess we just need to roll for initiative. Map coming soon.


Male Dwarf Ranger 12/Barbarian 2/Fighter 1 HP: 178/178; AC:31; F +21; R +17; W +15 (+17); Init: +2 (+6); Percep: +27 (+29)

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Chisora looks at the beetles and decides to bring out her Whip. That was at least she's away from the mould and she can hopefully sweep quite a few beetles out of the way with a flick of her wrist.


Female Elf Alchemist (preservationist) 15

Vug drinks her dexterity tonic again, with the same slightly disturbing results.

init 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

She hurls an explosive flask at the cloud of beetles.

with PBS: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 171d6 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8 (or 4 splash damage, Ref DC 14 for 1/2)


Male Half-Orc Bard 11

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

"Lets whip these bugs!"

Getting ready to put a rank in Perform (comedy) next level...


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Well, doesn't this look like a short fight... since the room is the same shape as the room opposite I'll just use the same map.

As you enter the beetles that are feeding off the yellow sludge coalesce into a swarm, while their cow, a beetle of humongous size prepares to rush you. But in the very moment that the swarm forms Vug lobs a bomb into its midst, breaking it up and sending burned shells in every direction. Only remnants are left - as well as the big bug.

At least Valgrim and Chisora beat its initiative so you can have a go at it if you like. The bug goes on 4, so if Urg or Feres beat that they can go right ahead and act too.


Female Human (Alryan) Inquisitor of Calistria 1 Rogue 1

Chisora sees the smaller beetles scatter and burn as her Whip snakes out towards the larger one.

Attack Large Beetle with Scorpion Whip: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

451 to 500 of 5,753 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Whispering Cairn All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.