Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Black Tom's Serpent Skull

Game Master Black Tom


201 to 250 of 3,458 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Remind me to take Swim when I level, so I can get through the rain faster...

Torch nods at Surkoff's words and gestures forward.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Plodding through the rain, you may still find something interesting.

Survival 20:

Spoiler:
You find a large skull of some sort of lizard, almost as big as a horse's skull, and with vicious teeth.

Apart from that there are no traces of the captain or anything else until you reach the very tip of the island. Do you want to go back the same way or do you want to explore the southern side on your way back?


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

I say we loop around until we get fairly close to the equivalent spot on the southern beach and cut through the jungle til we reach our campsite again.

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

What he said.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Following the beach onto the south side you continue to explore the island. The rain also continues, and the sound of it almost drowns out the sound of wings, so you don't notice the flying pterosaur lizards until they're almost upon you.

Roll for initiative.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 9


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 *sigh*


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

initiative roll: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

This looks like DEATH... FROM ABOVE!!!!


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Oops! missed some stuff.

Survival 1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Survival 2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
init: 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (10) - 6 = 4


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Can't seem to find the marching order, so feel free to swap places if you like.

Map

The winged monsters spend their first round flying closer and start circling you.

You can all act now. The pterosaurs keep out of reach from the ground.


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Ilum raises his crossbow and fires at the southernmost pterosaur. Quij concentrates on the rain nearest the same beast, which forms into a celestial eagle and immediately begins assaulting the creature.

Ilum attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Ilum damage: 1d6 ⇒ 5

Summon celestial eagle to K18. Attack & damage rolls:
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
1d4 ⇒ 3
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
1d4 ⇒ 2
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
1d4 ⇒ 3


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch, painfully aware of how his shaking hands would throw off an arrow, draws his scimitar and prepares to strike the first pterosaur to come within range.

Readying an attack against any pterosaur to get within my reach.

Readied attack, if it should trigger:

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14, damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar sends an acid bolt hurling towards the nearest beast

Ranged touch attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Surkoff draws his greatsword and readies an attack if one gets close enough.

Attack:

Greatsword Power Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16 Damage: 2d6 + 9 ⇒ (4, 5) + 9 = 18


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

If the monsters get within 10', Ralf will use a cone of Cramp on them (reduce speed by 1/2 for 1 round, Fort save negates).


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

One of the monsters is harried by the suddenly appearing eagle. It snaps at it and then tries to get away. The other one swoops down to attack, only to be obliterated by Surkoff's greatsword.

Your turn.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Surkoff reaches back and grabs one of his javelins, tossing it at the flying creature as soon as it gets away from the eagle. (Avoiding the firing into melee penalty)
Javelin Attack: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16, Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Surkoff's javelin hits the monster and it spirals down, crashing into the ground. You may continue your journey.

With 160 xp each more under your belt.

After some more plodding you reach the point where you think it would be adequate to enter the jungle to get back to camp. You need to make a Survival 16 check in order to avoid getting lost.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Surkoff cleans his blade off and retrieves his javelin from the second creature. "Does anyone know the proper way to skin these things? If the the meat is worth eating it might be good to bring some back with us. Show the others that the trip out from camp was worth it."
If no-one steps forward with anything, Surkoff will hack the wings off, tie the necks together with some of his rope, and throw them over his shoulder.

Survival to find camp: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 3


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf looks skeptical at the flying lizards. "Hm, I guess it's a shame to waste good meat, but these two brutes don't look very savoury to me."

He'll assist in dressing the carcasses, if asked.

Getting lost Survival check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Survival 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Uh oh...


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Quij Survival: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10
Ilum Survival: 1d20 ⇒ 17

"Ilum seems to know the way..."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Let's just hope that Ilum knows what it's doing then. :)

Survival 20:

Spoiler:
You pass some dimorphodon (pterosaur) droppings, a sign that there must be a lair nearby.

The rain finally abates, as you hack your way through the jungle that seems to grow ever upwards, you finally pass the crest of the island and eventually emerge not very far from your camp, the campfire being visible at a distance.

As you make your way down to the beach you notice something strange. The waves crashing onto shore are infused with an eerie greenish radiance, almost as if the surf were glowing.

Knowledge (nature) 20:

Spoiler:
This is a natural phenomenon caused by phosphorescent algae.

Other than that you manage to get back to camp without incident and find everyone safe and sound - or at least not worse off than you left them. Aerys is noticeably pale, for example, and they all seem a bit dejected.

All the NPCs refuse to eat the lizards you brought back. Sasha looks interested at first, but then snorts something about them being poisonous. If you like to risk it, you can save 2 rations, but otherwise you'll have to cross off 10 rations for today. Water shouldn't be an issue as both Jask and Hrakar can create more.

Do you want to keep some kind of guard as you sleep?

Jask has been dressing Torch's wounds, so he'll heal 2 points of Dex damage if he can just catch a good night's sleep.


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Don't think it's THAT reliable a survivalist... ; )

"Me and Ilum would be glad to take first watch. We're not the beefiest of fellows, but Il's got a good eye for trouble."


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Well done human! That's how one should deal with noisy interlopers! Says Hrakar slapping Surkoff's shoulder and with a mighty laugh

Survival check 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

"Although they may be better off dead than alive I very much doubt they are anything good even now..." the dwarf says after observing the carcasses.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Due to the need to get a good night's sleep to start healing the Dex damage, Torch would prefer not to take a watch, if the NPCs can help out.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Surkoff throws the dead beasts into the underbrush away from the camp. "Well you can't say I didn't try and feed these folks. How was I supposed to know that they weren't going to be good for consumption? We do need to find some more food and quickly, what we have isn't going to last forever and I am not a fan of starvation."
As the night settles in Surkoff stokes the fire, looking around at those gathered by it. "Well I guess I can take the second watch, as long as someone is willing to spend some time up with me. I only have one pair of eyes and I am not sure that is enough out here."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Aerys is happy to keep watch together with Surkoff, and Gelik also volunteers as does Jask. ("If you trust me not to murder you all in your sleep", he adds wryly.) Sasha and Ishirou just shrug, but they'll take their turn if you ask them to.

So far we have: 1st: Quij and Ilum, 2nd: Surkoff and Aerys. I guess two more teams would be in order.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Let it not be said I don't do my part! I'll do the third shift!


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Survival: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Ralf will stay up and watch the stars as long as he can while still getting 8 hours of sleep.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Black Tom: Remind me again which NPCs are with us.
Surkoff will try and have some conversation with some of them as we dine and get ready to bunk down for the evening. Are any of them helping around the camp or are they just relying on us to do everything.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The NPCs with you are Aerys Mavato, Gelik Aberwhinge, Jask Derindi, Ishirou and Sasha Nevah. See the very first post for a short description.

Aerys is the only one to be really helpful, although Gelik seems to be trying (but his conception of helping is mostly doing a running commentary) and Jask is assiduous in treating Torch's wounds but suspicious of the rest of you. Ishirou and Sasha aren't doing much unless specifically asked to.

You are all welcome to speak to any of the NPCs you like, or to make some Diplomacy checks to improve their attitude (unless you already tried today).

Let me suggest then a watch schedule: first Ralf and Ishirou (who much prefers the company of someone he can ignore), then Quij and Ilum, then Surkoff and Aerys, then Hrakar and Jask, then Sasha and Gelik. If you make the shifts two hours long everybody will get their beauty sleep.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

During the evening meal Surkoff purposely sits himself beside Ishirou (and as far away as possible from Gelik). "Tell me a bit about yourself and what you did prior to boarding the ship."

Black Tom: Watch schedule looks good. Gives me some more time to get to know Aerys and find out what she is all about, besides her 'issue'.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Black Tom:
I guess I could roll a diplomacy check, it might affect the answers for the above questions.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Man this dice roller likes me. I await it's vengeance upon me with a barrage of 5 and unders.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Surkoff:

Spoiler:
Ishirou softens up noticeably, and after a while asks you if you could possibly put in a good word with Aerys for him, since the two of you seem to be getting along.

He seems to have led a rather exciting life, as a sailor, thug, messenger, soldier and guard in the service of the Aspis Consortium, all of which (including some rather unsavory activities) he describes in a dry, matter-of-fact manner.

Then he produced a number of folded and thumbed old papers. He claims that they are promising treasure maps, and one of them even details an old pirate's stash here on Smuggler's Shiv. "Since we're already stuck here, no harm in doing some treasure hunting, eh? But according to this it will take several people to get the treasure out, so I'm going to need you to help me. What say you?"

Surkoff getting Ishirou friendly nets you another 20 xp each.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar doesn't talk much during the meal, espressing himself through monosyllabes for most of the evening. He keeps thinking about the betrayal he and his fellow castaways suffered and the fact that the criminal who sank them on Smuggler's Shiv may still be somewhere alive and free, a maddening thought for the dwarf.
Besides that he feels uneasy about his mission: as much as he doesn't like to admit it he knows there's a very good chance he won't be able to complete it, and he's sure the shame of failure will haunt him long after he departs this world, which strenghtens his determination not to fail even more.
When he discovers he's been paired with Jask he feels relieved he's been given a chance to check on the former inmate as he can't really bring himself to trust him.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Finally you bed down, hoping that your next day on the island will be a little better than this one.

I'm going to need Perception checks and Initiative for Quij and Ilum. The rest of you can roll too.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Perception (if needed): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 14


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Quij Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Ilum Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22
Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Perception: 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (5) - 3 = 2
Init: 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (12) - 6 = 6


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4 <- heavy sleeper it would seem.
Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Quij and Ilum both easily spot the crouching grayish-skinned humanoids that are trying to sneak up on you, so there is no surprise round.

Quij and Ilum go first, then the monsters. Torch can act in the second round, while the rest of you can make new Perception checks.

Map.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Perception: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5 <-Well at this rate I should be good to go about round 10 or so.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Perception: probably impossible, if it depends on hearing alone


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

As Ilum lets off a shot with his crossbow, Quij steps up to get within range of a Grease spell, then conjures a slippery substance in the area encompassing his nearest foe.

Ilum Attack and Damage on monster at G28:
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
1d6 ⇒ 3

Quij moves up to H23 and casts Grease on squares F28, G28, F27, G27.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Ilum's crossbow bolt hits the creature, which gives out a yelp more of annoyance than pain. Quij's magic conjures some sticky goo, but the monsters nimbly leap past it, but one of them slips momentarily. One of them charges Quij and claws at him, but hits only air.

Map updated above.

Quij, Ilum, Torch and possibly Hrakar to go You need a Perception 10 check and to beat initiative 6. Unfortunately Ralf won't wake up until somebody kicks him awake.

Illuminated by the campfire you discern the twisted features of the monsters.

Knowledge (religion) 12:

Spoiler:
They are ghouls


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Deftly dodging the gruesome foe, Quij puts some space between himself and the monster and conjures a celestial eagle, which immediately lays into the monster. Meanwhile, Ilum sheathes his crossbow, steps forward, and attacks the other enemy as he closes in.

"A little help here, chaps, if you please!" yells the gnome, hoping to rouse his sleeping allies.

Quij: 5-foot step to I20, summon a celestial eagle in I21, eagle full-attacks.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
1d4 ⇒ 4
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
1d4 ⇒ 4
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
1d4 ⇒ 1

Ilum: sheath weapon (move action), 5-foot step to J22, attack monster at K23 with a claw attack (Attack +2 (+1 BAB, +1 Str), 1d3+1).
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
1d3 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Crit confirm: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Crit damage:1d3 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Edit: The claw attacks should be +2, not +3. Also, the yell was more fluff than anything, since I'm presuming the perception roll takes precedence.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Perception check: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Initiative check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Knowledge Religion check1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Hrakar immediately realizes something is wrong and realizing the camp is under attack he raises the allarm immediately (free action?). After that he takes a shot at the monster near Qui with his crossbow.

Crossbow attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

Damage 1d10 ⇒ 5

201 to 250 of 3,458 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Serpent Skull All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.