Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Black Tom's Serpent Skull

Game Master Black Tom


1,951 to 2,000 of 3,458 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>

male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

"Looks like that's where you'd put the blood, leastways. The very thought gives me the heebie-jeebies!" Ralf shivers.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

A rocky cleft cuts into the bluff, presenting a hundred-foot drop onto seaweed-covered rocks and tide pools. Several ledges, each connected by rickety-looking rope bridges, lead down into the cleft to the rocky beach below.

As Hrakar starts his descent he quickly realizes that the tide is up, and that whatever may lie down there is submerged.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar takes a moment to surmise the scene, then speaks:"...well, I guess we'll have to search around and see if there are no secondary entrances... it's that or wait for the tide to turn back... or swim!"


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

"The image in the cave showed the sea pulling back to expose the bare seafloor," Torch reminds Hrakar. "I think that we'll need to do the same if we want to know what's below the waters here."


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 32/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Gelik has been too busy coveting the hook to be very productive. He's entranced by it. Sooooo shiny. He buffs it with a rag, and gazes upon its reflective quality. I must have it. He makes a fist and stuffs it into the stump end of the prosthetic, pretending he has a hook-hand. Arrr matey! Oim a poirate! Deliver yer booty!Yarrr! He hooks random things as he walks along, following everyone else absently.

At the monoliths, he looks around blankly. What do a bunch of old rocks have to do with anything?


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

While Hrakar does his best to avoid comments on Gelik's sudden infatuation with the hook he took from the Chupachabra's nest he raises an eyebrow at Torch's comment:"I trust you mean we need to wait for the tide to recede, and not that you want us to find some way to dam the lagoon... right?"


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

"No, I mean we need to do the ritual again," Torch replies grimly.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

"Well, there's nothing to do but wait for the tide to go down," Ralf comments.


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys smiles at Hrakar and Ralf, "No, what I think he's getting at, is that its the blood ritual that makes the waters recede enough for us to be able to access something or other. I expect that is what that snake-woman did, so to follow her we must do the same." Aerys sighs before continuing, "Now, if I remember correctly this is how the ritual is described. To Command the Very Tides to Rise Up and Eschew What Lies Below: Empower the Four Sentinel Runes with the Blood of a Thinking Creature Tempered by the Kiss of a Serpent’s Tongue. Anoint the Tide Stone with Waters Brought from the Sea in a Vessel of Purest Metal.
Invoke the Lord’s Sacred Name to Wrap His Coils around the Sea Itself that He Might Lay Bare What Lies Below and Cast Down Your Enemies on the Waves above.
So we need some blood from a thinking creature, that might have to be one of us unless you have a better idea, I'm not sure about the tongue of the snake though. As for purest metal, Gelik might just have what we need, that hook should old some water for us. How we doing so far?"

Aerys looks at her friends hoping for more wisdom.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf finds a comfortable rock and takes a load off of his feet.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

"No" Hrakar says calmly: "As a rule I don't go around enacting blood based rituals decdicated to evil gods, and neither should you!"


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 32/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Spoilsport. Gelik mumbles in Hrakar's general direction.

I thought this was some sort of magical lightning generator. Gelik seems confused. I'm for doing this ritual thingy, just to see what happens. I'm not sure why anyone would want to drain the lagoon, but what the heck. He shrugs. Maybe we'll see one of those giant clams from the stories.

Gelik is happy to use the cup of his new hook to fetch some water for the ritual. (See! 101 uses!) He's going to need guidance, as he wasn't really paying attention when they found the inscriptions.

He can also go into the woods and use his Speak With Animals to talk to a few snakes. With his superior intellect and powerful charisma, he should be able to convince a snake that being manhandled and licking a bloody rock are fun ways to spend the day. Maybe offer a mouse as enticement. If that doesn't work, he'll just grab one and overpower it. It's just a snake, after all. They're mostly a bunch of jerks.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Gelik disappears into the underbrush to charm a snake. But even when the deal is softened with the promise of a juicy mouse, the snake remains suspicious, and Gelik is forced to resort to using his Beguiling Voice to put it into a pleasant stupor and thence in a bag.

So you have your snake. What do you want to do next?


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf looks uneasy. "Wait...don't tell me you want to go through with this ritual, do ye? I don't like the sounds of that. I'd rather just wait for the tide to go down..."


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Is there any chance of the tide going down far enough to make avoiding the ritual possible? Knowledge (nature) roll, if it helps: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Actually the tide will not go down far enough. :)


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Ha! Ninja'd.

Torch shakes his head. "Not good enough. See where the waterline hits the rocks there? There's no way we'll see exposed seabed with the tide conditions in this bay. It's magic or nothing, and I certainly don't know any magic strong enough to drain a bay on my own. Do you? How badly do you want your revenge, Hrakar?"


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar gives Torch a long hard look:"Very well. Then go on and damn your souls. I won't betray righteous Torag! Not when I can wait for her to come out of the accursed place if I need to!"


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys listens to Hrakar a twisted smile on her face, "Well you don't have to join in, but you're help in keeping watch whilst we do it, would be helpful." She walks away muttering under her breath about stubborn minded dwarfs and their devotion to a single god, didn't they realise that you can choose you god to suit your circumstances, what was it her mother said, "A god a day, keep Pharesma at bay."

She gathers the others over, "OK, we need blood from an intelligent being, well that includes all of us so any volunteers?"


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

"I pretty sure you are being way too optimistic with your last statement, girlie..." adds the dwarf with half a smile.


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 32/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

To whom are you referring, you sexist sectarian? Gelik asks the question rhetorically, simply as a platfom to show off his proper grammar.

He then adds, I've got the least blood of us all! Someone else can cough some up. Pun intended. Besides, I did my bit by bagging this stupid snake. He holds up the squirming bag as a visual reminder.

Gelik is excited to be part of such a fun-looking ceremony. He will join in with gusto, whenever everyone is ready.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch grimaces, but places the tip of one of the spikes on his cestus against the palm of his other hand. "We still need the name of the snake god, though, right?" he asks.


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

"Well could it be those carvings on the walls in that cave we went down into, what did it say, 'All glory to Great Ydersius'. Is that the god they refer to, I mean Hrakar, have you come across this name before, or anyone for that matter? " says Aerys with a worried look, in case they haven't yet found the right name yet.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar stands aloof but answers Aerys question, although in an irritated manner:"It's the name of an ancient serpent god worhipped by serpentfolk before the Earthfall. It was an evil deity... and you are going to enact one of its rituals" finishes the dwarf matter of factly

I suppose my previous check gave me access to this generic information


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

"Then let's do it, if we're going to," Torch grunts.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf sits on his rock, watching the others uneasily.


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys starts the ceremony, speaking in a foreign tongue the words she thinks will open the waters below. Using the blood of Torch, the water collected in the hook appendage and Gelik's nuturing of the snake, as they perform the ceremony on each of the stones.

Aklo:

"The tides and sea bow and part at your awesome power, all glory to you, great Ydersius."


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch listens intently, trying to remember the ritual for note-taking later.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Apart from causing Torch 8 points of damage, the ritual actually works. Tremendous bolts of lightning arc up into the sky from the surrounding stone monoliths and you need to make a Fort 15 save or be deafened for several rounds. As dramatic as the bolts of lightning are, the rumbling
thunder from Crab Lagoon as the waters roil and recede out to sea is even more impressive as it lowers the level of water in the entire lagoon by 20 feet, exposing rocks, flopping fish, and several sunken ships to the air. Perhaps most interesting of all, though, are the large stone doors that become visible and that grind slowly and noisily open as the waters recede.

You get a hero point each for completing the ritual and for the excellent role-playing about the whole thing.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

"Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear..." Ralf mutters as he watches the horrible ritual. He provides Torch with some much needed (boosted) healing.

Surprisingly, the thunder doesn't seem to bother him a bit.

healing: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Fort save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

Torch doesn't seem to hear Ralf's comment, although he jerks, then smiles in thanks when he feels the healing spell close the wounds on his palm. Otherwise, though, his attention seems to be drawn as much to the exposed wrecks on the lagoon's floor as to the stone doors that appear.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

After you recover from the blast, you descend towards the new water level. Seaweed, sea urchins of all colors, bright green anemones, scuttling kelp crabs, and bare rock glisten here, laid bare to the sky by the unnaturally low tide.

The pools you need to cross are not deeper than 12 inches, so you can rather easily make your way to the doors if you like, even though the rocks are slippery.

Between you and the doors the front two-thirds of a wrecked ship lies upon the rocks, its bow mostly submerged but its ruined midsection propped up on a ridge of slimy rock. The sides of the wreck are thick with seaweed and barnacles, and dozens of crabs clatter around on deck.


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys is quite taken aback by the success of the ritual, despite her insistence and outward confidence, there was always a nagging feeling at the back of her mind that could have overlooked something. But no .... "Arhhh!" she screams as the thunder pounds her ears and the lightening crackles electric in the air.

Fort Save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

She shouts loudly at Hrakar, "THERE SEE, TOLD YOU IT WOULD WORK, AND WHATEVER I SAID TO MAKE IT HAPPEN, DOESN'T MEAN I BELIEVED WHAT I SAID" as for several minutes as they make their way down to the shore, her ears fail to hear the words of her friends.

As they cross the sands of the seabed, her ears return to normal and spying the wreck she suggests, "Do you think we've got time for a little exploration, I know, another shipwreck, but this has been covered and not exposed to the fluctuations of the weather and human activity." she looks at Torch and the others, cheerfully skipping towards the wreck.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

"Well, in for a copper, in for a gold," Ralf opines as he follows Aerys towards the sunken ship.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch, unsurprisingly, matches Aerys stride for stride, eager as she is to examine the find.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Part of the ship is still submerged, but it's certainly climbable, if a little treacherous. An open hatch near the ruins of the ship’s midsection allows access to the galley below. The furniture in this soggy galley lies in a wet heap against the southern wall of this seaweed-choked room. A door to the west is propped ajar with the remains of a chair.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch slowly approaches the door, reaching for it with his left hand while holding his scimitar in his right.


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 32/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

fort 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

Gelik wanders around, looking at the colorful sea-life with a great appreciation for its beauty. He's not so keen on how mucky his shoes are getting, but it can't be helped.

Bo-ring! He intones, at yet another shipwreck. As Torch climbs around on the obvious deathtrap, he adds, When are we going to get to the big stone doors? He tries his best to not sound petulant.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Torch looks into what was once a fine cabin, perhaps even the captain’s cabin, but this chamber is now in ruins. The furniture, including a crushed desk and a bed, lie in a heap near the bow, and seaweed and other tidal life glistens on the walls. A layer of seawater covers the floor, deeper near the bow than by the door.

As you carefully enter, a little flying green man burst out of the water, flaps about and asks in a shrill yet pompous voice: "Ahoy sailors. Stand tall and report on this damnable low tide!

Knowledge (planes) 13:

Spoiler:
He's a water mephit, an imp from the Elemental plane of water. Mephits are usually more annoying than dangerous.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

RAlf checks the rooms for any magical auras.

Know planes: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Knowledge (planes): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Torch blinks, confounded by the apparition, before grinning in his usual ghastly fashion and saying, "Foul magics afoot, cap'n. What are your orders?"


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Fortitude save:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Hrakar follows the others without a word, clearly not happy about what just transpired:"Bah! At least now we can continue the hunt"


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 32/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Gelik is not a sailor, and he is physically incapable of standing tall, but that's never stopped him from butting into a conversation before.

It is a damnable thing, isn't it? I'm getting fishy smelling mud all over my shoes!

Having contributed as much small talk as he can stand, Gelik gets to the topic of conversation that he's been bursting to discuss. So, uh, little green captain, what's behind the big stone doors? Big stone people? Fish-men? Ancient Azlantis? Ancient Azlanti Fish-men? Wealth beyond measure?

Diplomcy 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 (I am an ambassador without peer.)


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

A smile comes to Aerys face as she listens to the little green captain. With a little giggle she salutes the captain, "Good captain, it would appear that the waters have receded on the command of a great warrior." her cheeks redden as she speaks, continuing. "We shall do all we can to protect you from him, but is your command?"

Diplomacy 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The green man makes a face at Gelik's faux pas and is further insulted by Aerys's remark. "Get off my ship, you flea-ridden land-lubbers. Go through those accursed doors and begone with you." Under his breath he mutters: "I hope whatever lives there eats you."

Ralf finds no magic auras in the room.


Male gnome Sorcerer 5 (maestro bloodline) HP: 32/38 AC: 13/13/11 F+3 R+3 W+4

Landlubber?! Gelik is visibly upset. I'll have you know that I am a hook-hand! He points to his mithral hook, awkwardly mounted on his left fist. He then turns and stomps off in a huff, squashing as many starfish as he can underfoot. Unnatural things.

He heads for the doors, but slowly. He doesn't want to be the first one through, afterall.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

"Eh? Speak up, you watery little beast. I can't hear a word you're saying," Ralf adds.


Female Human Fighter (Mobile) 5 HP:43/54 AC19/T13/FF16 (AC23vsAoO) Condition:

Aerys, about to redress the insult decides to hold both her tongue and sword, "Once we've satisfied our revenge on the serpent woman, I'll teach this captain some manners. " she turns and heads back and towards the gate.She stomps up to the door, waiting for her friends before entering, still grumbling to herself. She does however keep her sword ready and shield in front of her, waiting for the door to open.
Perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Two stone doors stand open at the base of this cliff above a curling spur of rock. Seaweed covers the doors, hanging down in thick green and black sheets, just obscuring some sort of carvings on their surface.

Beyond them a set of stairs go upwards into darkness.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Disappointed that he was unable to learn more of the ship from its bizarre, undersized captain, Torch accompanies the others to the doors, but pauses when they reach the doors to use his scimitar as a scrape to uncover the carvings before entering.

1,951 to 2,000 of 3,458 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Serpent Skull All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.