Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Black Tom's Serpent Skull

Game Master Black Tom


1 to 50 of 3,450 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

You have a long journey ahead of you, so you might as well get acquainted with each other and the rest of the crew and passengers.

Here are the main NPCs for convenience.

Aerys Mavato: This severe half-elven woman boarded in Port Peril, where she immediately got into a scrape with a crude sailor. She spends most of her time in her bunk, seeming to purposefully avoid fraternizing with the ship’s other passengers.
Alizandru Kovack: A Chelish man whose family has made the Magnimar to Eleder run for generations, Captain Kovack is pleasant enough with his passengers, but a strict disciplinarian when dealing with his crew.
Alton Devers: The Jenivere’s first mate is friendly with both passengers and crew, but he sometimes seems to chafe under the strong discipline of Captain Kovack.
Gelik Aberwhinge: A sharply dressed gnome from Magnimar, Gelik spends much of his time writing in the ships’ common areas, and takes every opportunity to tell long-winded stories, boast of past journeys, or quip about anything in his field of view.
Ieana: A bookish Varisian scholar who tends to keep to herself, Ieana is traveling to Sargava to explore the ancient ruins there. Rumors aboard the ship alternately suggest that she’s the Jenivere’s owner, a Chelish agent, or Captain Kovack’s secret lover. Ieana keeps mostly to herself, and grows more intent on her studies with each mile the ship travels closer to Eleder.
Ishirou: A scruffy human of Tian heritage, Ishirou boarded at Bloodcove and waits to reach Sargava with a quiet eagerness. Aloof but not rude, he gives the impression of one who has had a hard life but find himself currently without direction.
Jask Derindi: A prisoner loaded aboard in Corentyn, Captain Kovack sees to this taciturn human’s needs with curt courtesy, but insists he be left alone, sequestered in the ship’s brig.
Rambar Terillo: A taciturn man from Senghor, Ship’s Cook Terillo has served in that capacity aboard several ships, though apparently not on account of his culinary skills, which seem to be limited to watery soups.
Sasha Nevah: This red-haired human boarded the Jenivere in Ilizmagorti. Since leaving Mediogalti Island, the woman’s somber demeanor has gradually faded, revealing a boisterous and optimistic personality. None have yet questioned her about her missing left pinky finger.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf whistles a happy tune (rather tunelessly) while manning the wheel as he keeps one eye on the stars.


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Qui had come up above deck about an hour ago to enjoy the night sky, which, when coupled with the water's reflecting below, made for quite a show. Plus, it gave him an excuse to slip away from that windbag Aberwhinge before he got roped into the telling of yet another epic tale about such-and-such a mysterious ruin, or whatever the gnome would go on about. And I'm a gnome myself...I can't imagine what the humans and elves must feel like.

As he walked the deck, he passed the old man at the wheel who was attempting a tune. As he walked by, Qui whistled a much more in-tune accompaniment, winking at the old man as he did so.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch finds that most people are put off by his unsettling appearance, and thus spends a lot of time either in his cabin or on deck, far away from the other passengers and crew. In particular, the superstitious nature of most sailors means he's gotten a lot of glares and more than a few warding gestures thrown his way over the last weeks, reactions he is sadly used to anymore.

As a result of this isolation, most of what the other passengers have learned about him is that he claims to be an Associate Professor of Ancient Cultures at the small University of the Arch in Corentyn.

As a fellow academic, at least by reputation, Torch would likely have attempted to reach out to Ieana, and possibly Quij as well (depending on how he's presented himself).


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Surkoff seems to spend an exorbitant amount of time watching the cargo hold. Following anyone who heads down there, offering to assist in whatever they are doing but rather obviously keeping a close eye on a few of the crates down there.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar spends most of his time in his cabin, trying to determine what to do once he has accomplished his mission.
He was ordered to give the sealed message to the head of Torag's church in Eleder, "to check" on the activities of the cult there and then to send a report back. But besides that he had no specific orders. So he considers his options and feels he could do well in Sagrava, as he certianly doesn't feel like going back to the lawlessness of Port Peril, especially not as a relatively unknown priest with no accomplishments under his belt.

As for the other passengers Hrakar isn't terribly interessed in any of them but he appreciates the secure way he deals with the crew. Hrakar is also a bit curious about the human imprisoned in the brig, he saw him a couple of times but... (can I get a sense motive check to determine Hrakar's opinion on him?)


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)
Quijiomientarae wrote:
As he walked the deck, he passed the old man at the wheel who was attempting a tune. As he walked by, Qui whistled a much more in-tune accompaniment, winking at the old man as he did so.

Ralf hollers, unaware of his volume, "Howdy, half-pint! Beautiful night for sailing, isn't it? I tell you, there's nothing that makes a man feel more alive than breathing fresh sea air and looking up at the stars. Well, maybe there's one thing, but I'm not a spring chicken any more; my days of chasing girls are behind me. How about you? You got a wife and kiddies at home? I'm an old bachelor myself, nothing to tie me down, footloose and fancy-free. Being the wife of a sailor is no way to live, if you ask me."


Qui simultaneously winces and grins at the grizzled man's inappropriate volume.

"Ahoy, old seadog. Nay, I'm a loner myself - I travel too much to maintain any number of wives, and don't have any children - nor a home, for that matter. At least, none that I know of. Children, that is." With this statement, the gnome's roguish grin widens. Looking up at the sky, he continues, "And yes, I too find the this air and its accompanying setting quite exhilarating." Looking at the old man inquisitively, he asks, "So how long have you been on the seas?"


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf nods sagely, oblivious to the question. "Say, have you taken a gander at that prisoner? I didn't catch his name, but he looks like a kind of unsavoury type, if you ask me."


"Hmm" says the gnome, scratching his chin and completely rolling with the fact that his question was ignored. "I spotted him when he came aboard, but I haven't given him much thought since then. Seems to me that there are enough unsavory characters on our side of the bars to warrant the neglect of someone on the other side, eh?"


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

After a long time with himself Hrakar decides that some fresh air can be a nice change and help him to decide a path of action once in Eleder. While going above deck the dwarf doesn't encounter a living soul: seems like everyone is asleep already he thinks. But when reaching the deck he's proven wrong, seems like an old jeezer he's seen once or twice before and one of those chatty gnomes are discussing something.
Hrakar considers things for a moment and decides to join them... a little contact with the rest of the world may be a good thing after all that solitary thinking, he muses to himself.

I'm for some reason unable to edit my posts; in my last message Hrakar's admiration was directed towards the captain, and the way he handles the crew with a firm hand


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)
Hrakar Orcbane wrote:
I'm for some reason unable to edit my posts; in my last message Hrakar's admiration was directed towards the captain, and the way he handles the crew with a firm hand

There's a one hour editing window; after that, you can't edit any more.

Ralf nods again. "Something about that guy...I'm gonna keep an eye on him, I think."


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Hrakar looks at the two passengers, he's esitant at first, but boredom and the prospect of another lonely and dull night alone in his cabin move him toward the two. He coughs to announce himself and politely greets the other passengers "Seems like a good night for taking a stroll on the deck, eh? Mind if I join you for a little chat under the moonlight?"


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

"By all means, beer-breath! Do join us," says the gnome good-naturedly as a dances a slight jig unconsciously in excitement. "I don't believe we've met," continues the gnome as he proffers his hand, I'm Quijiomientarae, which is a tongueful for most non-gnomes - feel free to abbreviate that and call me 'Qui'."


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

While taken aback by the fordwardness of the gnome, Hrakar can't perceive any maliciousness in the other's jest, so after a moment ponndering he quite solemnly says You are quite right about that, master Quijiomuantazarek, I don't think we've met before, but I boarded the Jeinevere just recently and spent most of my time in my cabin after that, so it's just natural I'd say; anyway I'm Hrakar, son of Targash, son of Rohgar, of the Orcbane clan, and I pride myself for being an humble servant of the Father of Creation. And you good people? Who are you and what brings you on this old tub?"


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf grins. "How do you do, dwarf? We don't get your kind on board ship very often, I can tell you that for free!"

Note: Ralf is a crewman, not a passenger. He takes the night shift at the helm.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Just posting to note that I'm watching the thread, but I'm belowdecks and probably will be until something happens to draw me out. Knowing BT, though, I imagine he'll get bored with the conversation and throw a kraken at us any time now.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

well there are not many of us dwarves 'round these parts I reckon... and I'm doing just fine... mr? Hrakar suddenly realizes the old man he had mistaken for another passenger must be the helmsman instead, anyway he also feels a little irritated by the human seemingly dodging his questions


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Seeing the dwarve's annoyance, Quijio leans in to whisper: "I think the good chap is deaf, friend Hrakar. Or dumb. Or otherwise lacking in the entirety of the normal operative capabilities. In any event, I wouldn't take his lack of an answer personally, if I were you." Leaning back with a wink, he adds in a normal voice, "I myself am a traveler. I keep these travels funded by doing whatever sort of work I can come by. It's a combination of travels and work that have led me to be on this boat on this evening, talking to you fine fellows." At this last bit, the gnome claps both the dwarf and the man on their backs in a gesture that is as exuberant as it is friendly.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

"Well, you may be right Quijiomuzeratarel... but if so I wonder if it's safe to have him man the wheel, even in a placid night as this seems to be. Take it from a long time Poert Peril resident... these waters may seem calm but are all but safe, my friend..." says the dwarf with an omnious tone.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Ieana is demure but polite when it comes to Torch's inquiries. She seems to be knowledgeable enough but is somewhat vague when it comes to her research.

If you want to know more about Jask Derindi, you'll have to go speak with him. The captain would certainly frown on that, though.

The dinner bell rings and you all sit down to dinner. But something is clearly amiss... Roll a Fortitude save (vs poison).

I'm sorry to say that we are fresh out of kraken today - have some fugu. ;)


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

I knew it!

Fort save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Hey, that's not bad...!


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

"Mmmmh... this... stew... tastes... funny..."

Fort save1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Chewing merrily through his stew, Qui nods his head. "Yup, tastes funny, but variety is the spice of life!"

1d20+1=20


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Torch mutters, "Every stew Terillo makes tastes funny..."


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Hearing the call for supper, Surkoff climbs his way out of the cargo hold and heads over to grab some food.
"So what kind of fine dining has Cook Terillo prepared for us this evening?" Surkoff looks puzzled at the bits and pieces in the bowl in front of him. "Food is food, I guess. It's not like it can be as bad as some of the stuff I had on the last trip I took. The whole crew got sick for 3 days."
Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 <- Okay, so maybe it can be as bad.


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Eventually someone grabs Ralf by the arm and makes an eating motion with his hand, indicating it's dinner time. For an old geezer, he dives into his meal with relish, talking with his mouth full.

Fort save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

...and then everything goes dark...

...

...

...

Everything around Torch is dark and silent. Then, sensation begins to creep back in — the feel of sand below and of something wet lapping at his feet, the sound of ocean waves washing against a beach, and a heavy pressure over his legs. Then, suddenly, he feels a searing pain in one foot.

Torch takes 1 point of damage. Roll for initiative. You can all roll for initiative, by the way, even though so far the rest of you are still unconscious. I'll get a map up ASAP.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Surkoff drools as a full round action.


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

Initiative:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Init: 1d20 - 6 ⇒ (12) - 6 = 6


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10

"Ouch!" Torch shouts in pain and opens his eyes. Am I standing up or lying down?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Torch feels a wash of nausea and disorientation as he wakes up, from consuming whatever it was (you are all effectively sickened). You come to lying prone on the beach, wearing your armor as appropriate, but your equipment seems to be stashed into a giant pile 10 feet away. Retrieving an item from it is a standard action. A number of people are sprawled along the beach.

The thing crawling over you and trying to take a bite out of your foot looks like a cross between a lobster and a scorpion. You spy two more of the creatures sniffing at the unconscious people further away.

Knowledge (nature) 10:

Spoiler:
They are called eurypterids or sea scorpions, and that's basically what they are.

Torch is hit for 3 points of damage and a Fort 10 save vs poison from the sting. Then he can act.

Here's your map.

Torch is up, then the creatures again.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Black Tom:
Is all of the equipment in the pile? I have a Cestus on most of the time, so if my armor is on most likely my cestus is as well. Unless of course someone or something has taken the time to remove it.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Surkoff Hurntol wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Surkoff

Spoiler:
You would be wearing your cestus then.

Also I forgot to mention that the little critters have reach with their stingers.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

"By the forge and the hammer! What happened... and what is all of this sand... and what are those... things? No matter I'll check on their corpses... later" thought the dwarf regaining consciousness and immediately preparing to unleash the wrath of Torag on those impudent... insect... things

Hrakar, gets up and prepares to cast an acid dart on the nearest sea scorpion, it's a ranged touch attack causing 1d6 dmg gained through the earth domain, I don't know if using this ability counts as casting through melee, I'll give you the dice roll and then decide if applying tyhe -4 or not. Put me in the correct initiative sequence please, but I decided to post now because I don't know how much I will be able to post tomorrow
Ranged touch attack for acid dart:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Knowledge (nature) untrained, including sickness: 1d20 ⇒ 4
Fortitude save, including sickness: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

"Wake up! Everyone, wake up!" Torch shouts, diving across the sand toward the pile of gear (What the **** is this even doing here?! he thinks), hoping to grab his scimitar without suffering more assaults from the hungry beasts.

Acrobatics check as a move action to get the pile of equipment without an AoO, including sickness: 1d20 ⇒ 5

Wow. Seems like I used up the whole module's worth of good luck on that first natural 20.

Unfortunately, diving for the equipment turns into diving face-first onto the sand as Torch's stomach heaves, and it is all he can do to crawl across the beach and grab his weapons....


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

I'm sorry but the rest of you are still unconscious.

Torch tries to roll over to the pile of equipment but gets stung again. He takes 1 point of Dex damage from the poison already in his system.

The creature follows and stings again for a total of 2 damage and a Fort 12 save.

The other creatures pinch Ishirou and Jask, who get a rude awakening. Jask is still manacled but Ishirou makes a beeline for the equipmen tFortunately he manages to evade the lashing stinger.

The furious action makes Quij stir into life in a wave of nausea (also sickened).

Quij and Torch to go, then the monsters.


male half-elf ranger (guide) 2 / rogue 3

Fort save: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

The AoO and even my fumbled Acrobatics check shouldn't have kept me from moving last round, I think, so I should have actually gotten my scimitar out at least. Assuming that's the case...

Dizzy, hands shaking, Torch nevertheless slashes at the beast in front of him, then takes a step toward the water, hoping to draw the thing away from the others on the beach.

Sickened attack roll: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6, damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Quij rolls over, emerging from the fog of a dream that had something to do a terrible tasting stew that he nevertheless kept eating.

"What the he**!"

Snapping to life, he assesses the situation. Seeing a fellow shipmate in distress, he closes one eye and begins to picture an eagle. Having formed the image in his mind, he reaches down for a handful of sand, and throws it in Torch's general direction. Instead of dispersing, the sand coalesces, and *snap* - forms itself into the shape of an eagle.

Summon Monster I SLA - Celestial Eagle. Lasts for one minute. Summon it as close to torch as I can get (H14 or so).

Do you control the eagle or do I?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge
Quijiomientarae wrote:
Do you control the eagle or do I?

You are welcome to control it, but I'll roll for it this round just to move things along.

The eagle comes to Torch's rescue, but the crawling creature is relentless. He is hit again for 2 points of damage and a Fort 14 save.

The creature pursues Ishirou, which turns out to be a mistake, as the latter has retrieved his katana, and slices right through it.

The third sea scorpion pinches Ralf for 1 point of damage, waking him instantly.

Torch, Quij and Ralf are up.


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

Seeing the other remaining scorpion-creature beset the old sailor he had been talking to earlier, Quijio repeats the summoning process (this time transfiguring a piece of drift would that lay conveniently at hand), summoning another celestial eagle, this time to aid the old man.

Summon the second eagle at P13 if possible (can't remember how to measure diagonals). I'll roll a full attack for that eagle if it can be summoned adjacent to the OE, just use the first roll if it has to move into position first.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
1d4 ⇒ 2
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
1d4 ⇒ 3
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
1d4 ⇒ 3

Attack and damage rolls for the eagle near torch.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
1d4 ⇒ 3
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
1d4 ⇒ 2
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
1d4 ⇒ 2


male human oracle 5 (lore mystery, stargazer archetype, words of power)

Ralf moans, "Oh...my aching bones," and then his eyes start out of his head as he sees the big bugs. He stands up, ducking and weaving as best as his shaky legs will allow.

Take total defense and then stand up.


Male Human - Chelaxian Paladin 1

Surkoff continues to drool as a full round action.


Male Gnome Master Summoner 1

As he watches his summoned eagles tangle with the scorpion-things on the beach, Quijio can't help but notice that one of the ship's passengers who is still passed is drooling excessively...


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Quij's eagle destroys Torch's foe, while Ralf manages to fend off the stinger as he rises.

Torch to go, then the surviving monster.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

What happened to Hrakar? Is he still unconscious?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Yes, sorry but this scene didn't work so well in PBP. We're soon done, though. Just be patient, please.


Male Dwarf Cleric 02

ok, np man

1 to 50 of 3,450 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Serpent Skull All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.