Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Black Tom's Reign of Winter

Game Master Clebsch RoW

Our brave adventurers are the only hope in a cold, cruel world.


1 to 50 of 1,505 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Domitian and Damiano shoot each other an uncertain glance as they enter what they thought would be a peaceful village.

The sleepy village of Heldren has rarely seen so much excitement or concern. Hunters from the nearby Border Wood speak of unnaturally cold weather at the height of summer that descended on the forest just days ago. Heavy snow followed, and those who returned spoke of an uneasy presence in the woods, as well as new, dangerous predators. No one knows what this event means, but the town’s soothsayer, Old Mother Theodora, claims dark times lie ahead.

As if in proof of that dire prophecy, a badly wounded mercenary arrived in town yesterday, claiming to be a bodyguard of Lady Argentea Malassene. He told the village council that the noblewoman’s escort came under attack by bandits and strange, wintry creatures near the edge of the Border Wood. He alone escaped, and Lady Argentea was dragged away into the forest. Now the townsfolk cast fearful eyes toward the snowy forest, worried what else might emerge to threaten their peaceful village.

Erland, Eianar and Ingrit:
Somewhat to your surprise you find yourselves summoned to meet with Elder Safander, the local priest of Erastil and a pillar of the community. Normally an unusually jovial and easy-going man for a servant of Old Deadeye, today he is looking concerned, almost grim. You would have heard of the latest troubles, I presume. This cold is just not natural. Also this. He holds out a handful of what looks like perfectly normal hazelnuts. Open them, he says in a voice that suddenly sounds very tired. As you crack them open, instead of a nut, there is another layer of shell. Some have three or even four layers, the priest sighs. It's an omen for sure, but I can't for the life of me understand which god sent it or what it means. All I know is that it can't be good news for our little village - or for the world.

You may all make Diplomacy or Knowledge (local) checks if you want to learn more about what's been happening.


Winter Witch 3 [HP 17/17 // AC 12/12/10] [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4]

"Unnatural cold in the middle of the summer? Bizarre omens in the plants? This sounds like something from the Witches. Do we know anything else about it, Father? Any clues of the weather change?"

Erland thinks on the sudden change of climate, appreciating the coolness in the warmth of summer, but concerned for the change in the natural order.


Female Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Skirmisher) 3: HP 30/30 : AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14: Fort: +6 (+7 cold effects/ +10 cold environment/ +15 with cold weather outfit. +4 to all if non lethal) Reflex: +7 Will: +3 : Perception +4 (+6 Human/Cold. +8 both))

Erland, Eianar & Black Tom:

Ingrit listens quietly, cracking open the shells of a couple of the nuts, then then next, and the next, her frown deepening at the bizarre occurrence. Though the shift to cold weather didn't really bother her the way it would those born this far south, she had noticed. Coupled with the other signs, the sight of predators more commonly found in her homeland, something was definitely amiss.

"I've noticed signs of predators whose tracks I recognize but.....they shouldn't be this far south. Creatures common in the north but practically unheard of here."she says with concern.


Male Human Wizard 2 Init +0

Knowledge Local: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

After hearing the discussions of the villagers around him, Damiano turns to Domitian
"I might be wrong but it seems to me this village lacks the resources for a rescue operation. What do you say we try to find someone responsible and volunteer ours services. That might make a difference. I am not in a hurry and we could always resume our journey afterwards."


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Everyone says the weather is unseasonably cold for midsummer — it even snowed in the Border Wood! Most suspect magic is involved, and some fear Qadiran agents played a role in it.

Damiano picks up a piece of juicy gossip.

Damiano:
Two weeks ago, Lady Argentea Malassene traveled past Heldren on her way from Oppara to Zimar to meet her betrothed. Rumor has it the two didn’t get along and Lady Argentea caused a scandal by calling off the engagement and returning home.


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

Erland, Ingrit & BT:

Speaking in his native tongue of Skald, Eianar replies.
"Aye, the winds be from the north, tis trouble ahead, taint Gozreh's doin' tha for sure. Him friends with Ole Deadeye, Aye tha be so. N you say tis Omens, aye to be sure. Not good omen, no. Will have the forest folk suffer." He takes a hazelnut from the priest, shaking his head as he studies it. "No good to come of this. Erland you say its witches, well I never trust em tales, not til I sees one. There's plenty can bring ill to a place. Even bring the winter, and its beasts." he nods knowingly to Ingrit and is silent in thought. He listens to the winds outside, and nods again as he combs his white beard with his fingers. "So where did ya find these .... husks, these corrupts nuts? We should perhaps find more evidence of such? The creatures of the forest, they be in need of food. Need to build up for winter, tis too early now, tis wrong. Should stop it before it does more harm."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

@Damiano -- I think you neglected to add your +2 bonus to a stat. Your stat array looks like a 20 point buy before racial adjustments.

Dom inquires separately regarding the latest events, to see if he could find any other interesting rumors. Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

"Of course we'll help! It's fortunate that we're here to lend my might and your magic. Let's see if there's a Village Elder or similar that we can address." Domitian taps the hilt of his sword, excited about the prospect of unleashing his talents for a noble cause.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Domitian:
Locals say a hunter named Dryden Kepp claimed he saw a giant white weasel on the High Ridge in the forest. No one believed him so he went back to trap it and prove them wrong.

Damiano:
Old Man Dansby claims that someone keeps stealing from his fields. His farm lies closest to the Border Wood, where half his crops have died from an icy frost and the rest have been carried off.

Eianar, Erland, Ingrit:
The priest sighs. I could show you the bush, but I harvested both that and others just like it many times before and I never saw anything like that. It is not the only ill omen lately either. A farmer’s son took ill a few days ago after falling through the ice over Wishbone Creek. The boy said he spotted a white stag in the forest — and heard it talking — then tried to follow it. But come, there is someone I want you to meet.

A short inquiry is enough to direct Domitian and Damiano to Councilor Yonnia Teppen, a middle-aged woman wearing simple clothes and a no-nonsense expression. She seems relieved at your offer to help. Heldren can barely muster a decent militia to fend off predators and bandits, and is at a loss at this kind of magical threat.

Councilor Teppen can confirm (and so can Elder Safander for the rest of you) the rumors that a pocket of unearthly winter weather has recently appeared in the Border Wood, and inform the PCs that a rider from Zimar arrived in town the previous day bearing ominous tidings. The rider, an Ulfen mercenary named Yuln Oerstag, was part of the guard escorting Lady Argentea Malassene from Zimar to Oppara. As the caravan skirted the Border Wood, however, the noblewoman’s carriage came under attack by bandits and strange, wintry creatures. Lady Argentea was carried off, and Yuln was the only one to escape. He is badly wounded, but he has been able to describe the horrific creatures that attacked the noblewoman’s party. A native of the far north, Yuln recognized some of the icy creatures that emerged from the forest, and the tales he shared with the council have everyone rightly concerned.

You all meet up on your way to speak to Yuln and hear what he has to say, Domitian and Damiano in the company of councilor Teppen and Eianar, Erland and Ingrit in the company of Elder Safander. They seem to be on good terms and greet each other affably, their relief at having found a band of heroes to save the village palpable, even if it may spring more from desperation than faith in your as yet untested abilities.

You may go ahead and make your introductions now.


Winter Witch 3 [HP 17/17 // AC 12/12/10] [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4]

"Greetings, I am called Erland Frey. I've been walking these hills for some time, and have yet to find a reason why the seasons are askew. Are you also looking to investigate that, and work for the town?"


Male Human Wizard 2 Init +0

Greetings, Erland . I am Damiano Delstrego and have had some instructions in wizardry. I doubt I will have the means to resolve the problems with the weather since altering weather magically is many degrees of magnitude over my abilities. I am really more interested in saving Lady Malassene.


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

From out of a mass of furs covering the body of a man looking older than his years, a young voice speaks in the native tongue, Skald, "Them be more bad omens, Elder Safander. Oi be Eianar Drudsson sirs, them in town knows of me, and these seems troubles indeed. An you Sir Daminarno, a man of magic is a clever one, must be sure to help, though your clothes look ... well, look not too warm.... " He looks around, then realises he's in the presence of Councilor Teppen. "Sorry Ma'am, please forgive me words, I only means to help." he bows his head, til his face disappears behind the untidy white hair and furs.

He pauses, looking for Councilor Teppen to signal he can continue. "Oi be a man o' the forests and the winter meseln. Along with me friend, Ingrit, we knows the lands round abouts. Be glad to helpen yous. Must protect me home and if finding this ere lady can solve the mystery an bring the summer back, so be it. Aye, count me in." He smiles, a toothy smile at those gathered, looking at Ingrit with a nod.


Female Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Skirmisher) 3: HP 30/30 : AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14: Fort: +6 (+7 cold effects/ +10 cold environment/ +15 with cold weather outfit. +4 to all if non lethal) Reflex: +7 Will: +3 : Perception +4 (+6 Human/Cold. +8 both))

The The tall, stoic looking redhead of clear Ulfen descent gives the others a nod. ”Well met. I’m Ingrit. I also range the area and have noticed the strangeness in the weather. It would be good to have a few people looking into this.”


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

The well-built swordsman is seen sporting a fashionable, high-collared tunic bespeaking of Taldan city styles. He is tall and blond, a product of his partial northern heritage. "I am Domitian Olavsgaard, a native of Zimar. Like my friend Damiano here, I too come to rescue Lady Malssene and investigate the strange coldness that has descended on this town. It would be an honor to be of service." He bows deeply to the Councilor and the gathered warriors.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The village councilors take you to the Willowbark Apothecary. There a young elven woman welcomes you and ushers you into the room where the wounded bodyguard is recovering. Wrapped in bandages, the Ulfen mercenary’s nose, fingers, and toes have taken on a black hue from serious frostbite, and he is still heavily wounded. Despite the best efforts of Elder Safander, it will clearly take some time before Yuln is hale and hearty enough to travel again, much less wield a weapon. Despite his obvious pain, however, he waves you closer to speak to you.

Would that I could go with you. he says. My ancestors would ridicule my lack of valor for fleeing rather than fighting to the end. But I faced enemies that even the greatest warriors in the Linnorm Kingdoms have faltered against, though I think I slew at least one of them before they dragged Lady Argentea away. He falls silent; speaking obviously takes its toll.


Winter Witch 3 [HP 17/17 // AC 12/12/10] [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4]

"What kind of creature's did you face? Were they beasts or men? Or something like to men? How did you slay the one, by blade, arrow, or spell?"

Erland looks over the man's injuries, noting the exposure and elemental damage. He specifically examines him for marks of weapon strikes, claws, teeth, or the like.

1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9 Heal check.

If he is still physically injured, Erland lays his hand on his shoulder and whispers in Skald: "Mend, grow, and heal." Using his healing hex, the injured guardsman receives 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 HP in healing.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Since he is wrapped in bandages, Erland can’t discern any wounds on the man other than the telltale signs of severe frostbite: the Ulfen mercenary’s nose, fingers, and toes have taken on a black hue.

Slightly relieved by Erland’s healing touch, the warrior responds: “We thought they were just bandits at first – outlaws who hide like wolves in the forest. They were no match for us. But then came the cold fey of the north. They appeared among us and the battle turned quickly. My people speak of the winter-touched all the time, but I never expected to meet them this far south.


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

Domitian is surprised to hear that there were more than outlaws at work, but he was not going to discount an eyewitness tale. "Fey, you say? From the north? Creatures of my father's childhood tales, it seems. He had said that such creatures are vulnerable to cold iron, so we should consider equipping ourselves appropriately. How many were in the Lady Malassene's retinue? And why did they take her hostage? I could see outlaws seeking a ransom, but what do these monstrous creatures stand to gain?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

Eiadar looks down at the blackened skin, dead from frostbite, "T'aint a lot ah can do more than the good Errlan, ee knows the art of healing. But Fey, thems can be friends or no, tis sometimes a joke. Taint no joke this, them no good fey. But maybes they left em tracks behind, so how long did you say since they took your lady? We can find her, but like sir Dominintiono said, Why her?" his right hand slowly tugged at his white beard, as fur lined boot tapped slowly on the floor.


Male Human Wizard 2 Init +0

All the stories I have read aggree that battles are quite chaotic from the point of view of a participant but still you might have been able to see some things . How many were the outlaws attacking you ? What were the fey creatures you battled ? How many did you saw ? Were your injuries inflicted by them or by the weather ? And finally , would you say the bandits were allied to these creatures or were they attacking both your colleagues and the bandits ?


Female Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Skirmisher) 3: HP 30/30 : AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14: Fort: +6 (+7 cold effects/ +10 cold environment/ +15 with cold weather outfit. +4 to all if non lethal) Reflex: +7 Will: +3 : Perception +4 (+6 Human/Cold. +8 both))

"And did you actually see the Lady taken. If so, can you describe the ones who did it." Ingrit adds to the series of questions.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

"Aye, the fey and the bandits were working together, sure enough. While the wee ones kept us busy with their stinging little arrow and their vile magic, the bandits spirited off the lady. The wee ones were tiny sprites no taller than the length of a man’s forearm. But don’t be fooled by their small stature. Legends say they have taken a sliver of ice into their hearts, and their touch bears the harsh bite of winter."

"That's what did for me. I'm no stranger to cold, but I never felt such cold in this part of the world. They hurt me pretty bad, and trying to find my way back without proper clothing didn't help any either."

"The bandits weren't that many. As I said, we could have handled them, but the fey seemed to be everywhere. Now you saw them, now you didn't, and then you were peppered by stinging chills from nowhere, and their horrible cackling glee coming from all directions. It was hell, I tell you."

“I don’t know what they wanted the lady for. But the winter-touched serve the White Witches of Irrisen, those who stole our lands from us during the Winter War. If one of the White Witches took her, no good shall come of it. The winter-touched do nothing without the leave of those who placed the ice in their hearts. If they’re here, it’s because a White Witch sent them. And much worse will follow.”

"You are right about the cold iron. That and fire burns them and both are weapons they fear." He makes a feeble gesture. "There, you may use my sword. It will be a while yet before it is any use to me. Please bring it back to me and may it taste their frozen blood before that.

The sword he is indicating is a cold iron longsword, in case any of you wants to use it.


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

Domitian nods and walks over to the longsword he gestures to, peering at its edges and testing its weight. "A fine weapon, this is. My skills have been most honed with the falcata, but unless your local blacksmith has already forged one, I would definitely find use for this. Rest assured I'll return this weapon in top condition. Some warm clothing is also in order. I certainly never expected such cold weather to descend on us in the middle of summer. Is there anything else we should know before we gather our provisions and investigate?"

Happy to roleplay shopping and meet the locals (or not), but I'd like to check out our weapon options and buy a cold-weather outfit.


Female Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Skirmisher) 3: HP 30/30 : AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14: Fort: +6 (+7 cold effects/ +10 cold environment/ +15 with cold weather outfit. +4 to all if non lethal) Reflex: +7 Will: +3 : Perception +4 (+6 Human/Cold. +8 both))

"Aye, though the cold doesn't bother me much, heading into what looks to be early winter bares getting a hold of some warmer clothing." Ingrit agrees.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

You don't really have to roleplay buying equipment, but supplies are limited in the village. You can basically get most mundane equipment, but weapons and armor will probably need to be ordered.

As you approach the blacksmith, you are met by a handsome young woman who asks your business. She is the blacksmith's daughter, Xanthippe, and she gives you an appraising look, then sighs. What can we do for you? she says as her father, Isker Eupham, appears in the doorway with an amused look on his face.

You have a bit more luck at the general store. The friendly and vivacious proprietor Vivialla Steranus declares that she has no less than five cold-weather outfits stowed away. "I'd never have thought that I would get rid of those" she declares with a smile. "We had a particularly harsh winter a few years back so I had to stock up and these were left over."


Winter Witch 3 [HP 17/17 // AC 12/12/10] [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4]

"Any cold iron bolts or arrows would be greatly appreciated. If you have none to hand, I would suggest they be the highest priority items you fabricate."

Erland buys a cold weather outfit, for show more than from a belief he might need it's protection.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The amith scratches his head. "I'll get right on it, to be sure, but I don't have any lying around. I do have some cold iron sling bullets, but those are magical, so they will cost you if you want them."


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

Eianar shakes his head, "Talk of witches, gonna unbalance everything, them only looks to themselves. Fey working to their tune, with arrows of cold." Stroking his beard, "Cold iron stones, it what I need. and they are magic, so what do you want for them? I don't have much, but maybe we can come to some arrangement."

Know(nature) to know about the fey are described by Yuln 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

"Anything of cold iron you have on hand right now would be helpful. A dagger, an axe, what have you. As for making further weapons, I would add a cold iron falcata to our order, though this is lower priority than the arrows and bolts."


Male Human Wizard 2 Init +0

Dalmiano smiles seeing the bias of the warriors present
While cold iron should indeed be useful to some of us , might I also suggest some alchemical fires. If that is, our resources allows us to do so


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Xanthippe snorts. Are you deaf? We don't have any cold iron weapons except the sling bullets and you will hardly be able to afford them at 46 gp a piece." She storms into the smithy and starts to stoke the fire. The blacksmith apologizes profusely for his daughter but he can't really help you and advises you to come back in a day or two.

On the other hand, mistress Willowbark the apotecary is willing to sell you all the alchemist's fire you can afford and can carry. Will there be anything else before you set out?


Winter Witch 3 [HP 17/17 // AC 12/12/10] [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4]

"I have three fire flasks already, and several jars of oil. Those should suffice, I would hope. Any ice-hearted creatures will burn quite nicely with them. Given time, I can create more, as well. But those will take a bit of work and an alchemist's laboratory. My cauldron is fine for small batches and potions, I suppose, but a large amount will take more than that."


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

"S'pose, fire would be good, but be careful with it, me friends in the forest can be quite hurt by an ill aimed shot." he seems grumpy, particularly with the high price of the shot. "T'aint nuthing I can do for yous, special like, in return for some o' them balls of shot for me sling?" he asks the blacksmith. "T'aint anything you want me to find or bring back for yous?"

His forehead shrivels up, making his eyes but small dark slits on his face. "With this cold coming, if yous believe the tales of the forest, and it comes here. What good will gold be, if we alls start freezing, then will be a time for furs and warm clothes. Mark me words." He looks intently into the eyes of the blacksmith, trying to read his innermost thoughts.

He turns back to the gathered party, "Has we got enough provisions to make us a fire, when tis cold at night?p Perhas we can get some flint 'n stuff..." as he starts to think about the journey more. "How far away was that ambush, where we start our path for restoring the summer?"


Female Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Skirmisher) 3: HP 30/30 : AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14: Fort: +6 (+7 cold effects/ +10 cold environment/ +15 with cold weather outfit. +4 to all if non lethal) Reflex: +7 Will: +3 : Perception +4 (+6 Human/Cold. +8 both))

Ingrit grins at Xanthippe's outburst remaining silent since arrow head had already been mentioned multiple times.

"That should be fine. I have anything needed to start a fire and I'm pretty good at finding shelter. Are we ready to proceed then?" the Ranger asks, having changed into her newly purchased cold weather outfit.


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

"So much for customer service. Let's get dressed and head out." Dom changes and then is ready to go.

-Posted with Wayfinder


Female Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Skirmisher) 3: HP 30/30 : AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14: Fort: +6 (+7 cold effects/ +10 cold environment/ +15 with cold weather outfit. +4 to all if non lethal) Reflex: +7 Will: +3 : Perception +4 (+6 Human/Cold. +8 both))

"Well she did say they didn't have anything else cold iron." Ingrit says with a shrug. "If it's as bad as they say further out, snow shoes may not be a bad idea, now that I think on it."


Male Human Wizard 2 Init +0

Do we start from the ambush or from Farmer Dansby ?


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The blacksmith gives you a sad look and shakes his head. "I reckon that either you're up to dealing with those bandits or you ain't. A sling bullet or two ain't gonna change that. And they are kind of my retirement fund. You adventurers come and go, but us common people have to live. So Godspeed and may the Old one guide your steps and your aim and bring you safely back."

Snowshoes might be a good idea but they are unheard of in Heldren, so you'd have to make them yourselves.

You pass Farmer Dansby's homestead on your way to the ambush site, but it is all abandoned, half of the crops blighted by frost, so there is nothing much to see, and no sign of Dansby.

Are you ready to set out then? The ambush site is about 6 miles out of Heldren.


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

Dom's ready.


Female Human (Ulfen) Ranger (Skirmisher) 3: HP 30/30 : AC: 18, T: 14, FF: 14: Fort: +6 (+7 cold effects/ +10 cold environment/ +15 with cold weather outfit. +4 to all if non lethal) Reflex: +7 Will: +3 : Perception +4 (+6 Human/Cold. +8 both))

"We may as well get started. Shall we?" Ingrit says studying the ground for signs of Yuln's tracks fleeing the attack.

Survival to track: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

"Let's hurry, the night will be upon us sooner than we want." He says to Ingrit, hoping they will use the well worn path to the forest, without the need for too much tracking. "If we move quickly we could be there in an hour." he says hopefully.

As they pass the farmstead, Eianar speaks, "See this winter upon us, taint gonna feed Heldren if it continues. When we finished our business, or we need shelter, perhaps we could use this place." He tugs at his white beard, in thought.

As they near the forest, he looks for signs of the fight or ambush.

Auto help Ingrit with tracking, Survival(10) and cast guidance on her when she tracks as a standard practice.

Get there with 1 hour hustling, 2 hours walking, 4 hours tracking no penalties, with the cold I suggest we hustle, to get there as quick as we can. 1hr hustle with 30ft, if we travel at 20ft, then 1 hr hustle followed by walk. I get the impression the Lady would have been travelling along a safe road/track to Heldren, so probably don't need to track until we follow the kidnap into the forest.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 to identify place of ambush/fight


Winter Witch 3 [HP 17/17 // AC 12/12/10] [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4]

Erland dons his new cold weather gear, leaving the laces loose and plenty of vent space around. Shouldering his pack, newly filled with extra rations, he nods to the trackers of the group.

"I'm ready, whenever you are. As for snowshoes, I believe we would need to fashion them ourselves in the forest. We were lucky enough the village had these witer outfits to hand, after all."


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

Are we tracking rations? Probably should get a few more than I already have if so.

Dom passes the time on the journey swapping stories regarding his training and upbringing. He listens to what others say, but seems eager to share his own details. Brushing by the fact that he is the son of an Ulfen Guard father and Taldan mother, he quickly moves on to how he grew up under the care of Lord Alonzo, and how he was trained by some of the finest swordsmen in Zimar. "Rest assured that I'll face down any threat with cold steel!" he concludes boastfully.

While he is not the most watchful eye, Dom keeps an eye out for threats. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Male Human Wizard 2 Init +0

Damiano seems a little diffident telling you :
Ingrit , rumors has it that something stole from Farmer Dangsby fields , that might be a second point of departure for tracking AND it might be less watched than the ambush site


Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3

"Oh, that reminds me of another rumor: I heard from the locals that a hunter named Dryden Kepp claimed he saw a giant white weasel on the High Ridge in the forest. No one believed him so he went back to trap it and prove them wrong. Maybe the weasel is also related to this winter weather?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

"Dunno where you city folks ha been doin with yur ears, but rather than waste time wit things what are just talk, best yous get after them that stole the Lady. Them rumors can wait, we won't be gone long hopefully and sort em out on our return." The ball of furs says rather gruffly, shrugging his shoulders. "If yous knows about the country out ere, yous know that tracks don't stick around for ever waiting for someone to follow em. Nope, best get after tracks as soon as possible before theys fade away. An tha's where theys stole the Lady." he says with urgency.

"Ha Dryden, if he's gone after it, did your friends say when he went and when e returned, bet e never even went back!!" Eianar says dismissively.

He looks at the two men, wondering if they really know what they are doing here and can handle the dangers of the great outdoors, as they move on. "An what brought you fine gents here in the first place?" he asks trying to get handle on the two of them.

Knowledge(Nature) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 on the Giant White Weasel, to understand its normal habitat and how it might have got here.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

You just have to follow the road to get to the ambush site, so there is no need for tracking, but as you come near the site there is enough snow on the ground for Yuln's footsteps to be clearly visible, confirming his story.

Near the forest, the temperature grows noticeably colder. The road ahead is littered with debris and the corpses of slain humans and horses. A carriage stands in the roadway, its team of horses missing or cut free, while another overturned carriage lies sprawled and broken next to the tree line. To the south, more bodies have fallen around what appears to be a statue of ice. A snowy trail leads deeper into the forest.

Eianar:
Giant White Weasels shouldn't be here at all. They are creatures of the north and you don't know of any southern variants. Ýou have no idea how it got here.


Winter Witch 3 [HP 17/17 // AC 12/12/10] [Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +4]

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18Kn(Nature) on the White Weasel.

Seeing the site of the battle and all the bodies laying around, Erland readies his crossbow and loads a bolt.

"This was more than simple bandits, I reckon. Check the fallen, see if there are any clues as to who did this, or what did it."

Following his own advice, Erland approaches the statue of ice cautiously, weapon at the ready.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14 perception


Male Human (Ulfen) Druid(Arctic)/2
Spoiler:
HPs 20/20 AC 15, T11, FF14, Resist Cold 2, Saves F+4,R+2,W+6; Perc +8; Init +2

With only his sling in hand, Eianar watches carefully as Erland moves forward, feeling the cold air tingles it tries to find his face through the beard and hair. "Carefuls everyone, now it could get nasty."

He places a hand in the blood frozen in the snow, just checkin. He waits to see what others do, but gravely asks "The bodies, we ought to look after em, stop em being the food for hungry critters, what do ya say?" His eyes survey the scene of carnage. "An if the bodies have anything of use on em, tis best the livin has it, do ya not think?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Loot Table Human Rondolero Swashbuckler 3 | HP 23/32 | AC 18, T 12, FF 16, CMD 20 | F +5, R +4, W +1 (+2 bonus vs charm/compulsion) | Per +5 | Init +3 | Panache 3/3
Eianar Drudsson wrote:

"Dunno where you city folks ha been doin with yur ears, but rather than waste time wit things what are just talk, best yous get after them that stole the Lady. Them rumors can wait, we won't be gone long hopefully and sort em out on our return." The ball of furs says rather gruffly, shrugging his shoulders. "If yous knows about the country out ere, yous know that tracks don't stick around for ever waiting for someone to follow em. Nope, best get after tracks as soon as possible before theys fade away. An tha's where theys stole the Lady." he says with urgency.

"Ha Dryden, if he's gone after it, did your friends say when he went and when e returned, bet e never even went back!!" Eianar says dismissively.

He looks at the two men, wondering if they really know what they are doing here and can handle the dangers of the great outdoors, as they move on. "An what brought you fine gents here in the first place?" he asks trying to get handle on the two of them.

Dom is slightly offput by the tattooed wildman, his gruff speech, and his categorization of "city folks." "I assure you, my wild friend, that I am not just a man of words, but also of action. We were passing through, but we would surely never stand idle when a Lady is in mortal peril. And with all this talk of witchcraft, it is fortunate you have us here!"

As Dom sees Erland heading toward the statue of ice, Domitian follows. He does not say anything, but has clearly decided that the elderly-looking mystic healer needs to be protected. "I have a bad feeling about that ice statue. Can't imagine anyone creating an ice carving at a place like this." The borrowed longsword at the ready, he too observes the ice statue with every expectation that it will be a body. Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Wizard 2 Init +0

Damiano seems a little hurt by Eianar's words
I only assumed that the thefts were done by the brigands and could offer us a second way of tracking them to their lair . Now I am not knowledgeable in the ways of tracking people but I presume the bandits will be more on the alert from people tracking them from the ambush site and might even prepare a second ambush. The other tracks if possible might have allowed us to surprise them rather than the opposite . as to the reason I am here with you they are quite simple : books , economics and altruism

When Eainar speaks of the dead , he replies vehemently
We have no pharasmin priest with us . While I am all for laying the souls of the dead to rest, I think that robbing them is not the best way of doing so . If they have somethings we can not do without , we should indeed take it while offering reasons to them but otherwise ...
He pause a moment
Also they might have dependents still living. I think the best way would be to bring them back to Heldren for Yuln to identify them and for a more traditional burial. Now , it would take us some hours to do so and time might be crucial in rescuing Lady Malassene from vile durance. I vote we check them swiftly , assure any soul hovering nearby we will be back later to take care of them and then press on

1 to 50 of 1,505 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Snows of Summer All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.