Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Black Tom's Rappan Athuk

Game Master Black Tom

An expedition to the infamous dungeon of Rappan Athuk.


1 to 50 of 645 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Some days later, while you are still waiting for Elinda to finish crafting the items you ordered, a company of well-dressed and well-armed dwarves arrive to the Citadel. That night you are invited to a grand banquet at the Anguses.

Knowledge (nobility and royalty) 12 and Mahaffy also will know this:

Spoiler:
The leader of the dwarves is Darnik Ironhelm, son of king of Nordre Ironhelm and powerful paladin of Torag.

The honors bestowed on the dwarves tell you that this is an important visit. You are introduced to Prince Darnik later. With impeccable manners, he greets each one of you seriously and says that he has heard that you are great friends of the Angus family and of Elinda, and that the citadel is lucky to have friends like you in such troubled times.

Over a bottle of Arb Angus’s finest sherry he tells you that he needs to ask you for a favour and that he will understand fully if you refuse. His brother, Gorsen, was killed many years ago in the battle against the demonic hordes. His body was never recovered. Darnik has never been able to fully recover from the tragedy, but he heard whispers that you were going to brave the infamous dungeon of Rappan Athuk, and he meant to ask you if you could ask the Oracle that supposedly resides there about where his brother’s bones may be found.

He promises to reward you amply, as if anything could compensate for such danger.


32/42 HP

Lyria greets the dwarven prince, then listens to his request. "It sounds like a reasonable thing you're asking, my prince, but will this Oracle part with that kind of knowledge just out of good will?"

She also tries to find out what the prince knows about Rappan Athuk.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16


Artival nods at Lyria's question, also wondering about the Oracle's cooperation.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The prince looks sad as you bring up the subject of Rappan Athuk. It is called the dungeon of graves, he says, and that's what it is. Many a good dwarf and man have met their demise there, and some have come back as something worse even than their foes. It is a place of great danger and great riches, a sore on the landscape.

"But lately I have begun to have dreams about my brother." He strokes his well-groomed beard. "And I fear that I shall not be able to rest before I have some news about him. Of course I'll reimburse you for whatever you need to bribe the Oracle with. It might lie to you but I am told it knows just about everything."

"I am ashamed to say that I can't go with you but there are matters of state to attend to and the giants are a bit unruly at the moment."


Female Human Barbarian 7

Ka'kara doesn't quite know what to make of this "sherry" and wrinkles her nose a bit at it. Perhaps this prince had a bit of real drink on him, wasn't that what dwarves were known for anyway? Leaning over to Mahaffy she whispers, "Any chance we can get some REAL drinks from the prince?" As the prince finishes his tale she slams her hand down on the table, "By the spirits! We'll not let your kin wander this side of the spirit world. We help you give him final rest."


32/42 HP

Lyria nods as the prince talks, then replies: "Did your brother die somewhere near Rappan Athuk or inside it? Or do you just want us to get the whereabouts of his grave from the Oracle inside? Also, am I right to understand it to be full of mainly undead?"


Female Halfling Bard 1

Knowledge nobility

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Tika realising who the Dwarf is and listening to the conversation gets more and more enthusiastic as extra details are revealed. One can almost see the mental check list she is crossing off as she furiously scribbles more notes in another Journal.


Male Dwarf Rogue 5

Mahaffy leans near Ka'Kara and whispers
Sure, he gets to have fun with giants and we get to crawl through the dungeon


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Tika remembers the story about Darnik's brother well. He was one of a legendary trio of dwarven paladin who braved the infamous dungeon against impossible odds. Songs have been written about them.

Since much of the lore about the lost paladins is legendary, it is a little hazy, but generally it is agreed that they died inside the dungeon.

The dungeon used to be a stronghold of the worshippers of Orcus, so it is safe to say that there are a lot of demons and undead down there, but also many other kinds of foul things.


32/42 HP

"So how far is this dungeon, and do we have any other quests to do while we're there?"


M Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light ) 5

Gregori listens to all the talk, silently taking in the venture that lay before the group. He nodded quietly from time to time, more pensive than usual.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Elinda explains: "It's about a week of travel, I'm afraid, mainly because it's difficult terrain. If you had a wand of Phantasmal Steed, you could get there a lot faster, but those are expensive gadgets I fear."

"Anyway, I suggest that you pay a visit to an old... er, acquaintance of mine, Brazzer Mandragora, who runs a tavern not too far off from the dungeon. And you really don't want to camp anywhere near the dungeon. Actually noone else would dare set up a tavern even that close. And he's not that bad for an Ogre Mage. Just don't mention cows in his presence and you'll be fine."

Slightly embarrassed, Arb Angus interjects: "We don't actually expect you to do anything in the dungeon. Just to survive is a feat enough, and if you could bring back any news of Prince Darnik's brother, that would be excellent."

Brightly Elinda continues: "Brazzer would be happy to buy any stuff you loot from the dungeon too. And he can sell you just about anything you need."

Prince Darnik is suddenly very busy emptying his goblet and oblivious of any talk of Ogres, magical or not.


Male Dwarf Rogue 5

"We won't have any probleme dealing with ogres. But does he accept intelligent undead in his inn ? "


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Elinda looks pensive. "He does not, I think. At least I never saw any. Goblins I've seen but no undead. The food might not be that good but it's not ghoul fare by any stretch."

Prince Darnik looks increasingly uncomfortable at Elinda's serious consideration of your question and steers the conversation back to the heroic deeds that you have done in the past and are sure to do again in the infamous dungeon.


M Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light ) 5

"That's good, there's pretty much no way in which that would end well."

Gregori looks at his companions at the table.

"Hmm...clean out a hell hole full of undead, fiends and Gods know what else....I'm in."

He drains his goblet wth a grin.


32/42 HP

Lyria listens to the conversation, then quietly asks: "If that dungeon is so dangerous, who frequents the Ogre's tavern?"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

"Oh, mostly goblins and rangers. And adventurers. Dungeons like that draw adventurers like moths to a flame."


Male Dwarf Rogue 5

And of course , the sort of people who prey on the adventurers when they exit the place full of loot but low on health and power

Mahaffy cynic ? I'm sure BT already had had the same thought :)


Female Human Barbarian 7

Ka'kara roars a laugh and slaps Mahaffy on the back, "They will find themselves wanting in our case then, since when have we had much more than sets a ale upon the table between us?!"


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Elinda is still trying to be serious: "Oh no, Brazzer would never tolerate that kind of behaviour. He'd prefer to buy your loot at a profit. And he never beats up or robs customers. That is, as long as you don't mention cows..."

Soon after that Darnik announces that he is tired and going to retire. He says that you are welcome to accompany them. That would mean that the first few days of your trip would be safe at least.

If you are feeling up to it, and when your stuff is ready, I guess you could stock up for the journey and get going. Do you want to buy horses and tents or how do you plan to travel?


I suggest we travel with Darnik for the time being until we get closer.


32/42 HP

Lyria agrees to travel with Darnik's group, adding: "There's safety in numbers. We'll come with you".


M Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light ) 5

"We should probably get horses, although based on some of the stories I've heard,we should probably look into the ability to summoun mounts since horses that venture into those parts have a habit of getting eaten."


Male Dwarf Rogue 5

Bah , walking is good enough for me


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The day of parting has arrived and you accompany the dwarven caravan for a couple of days, moving at a comfortable pace. The food is good and the company is actually enjoyable, except of course the dwarven singing. Darnik is charming enough and tends to your every need.

But a couple of days later, your ways part and you are making your way into the wilderness, stocked with your new toys and any equipment you've bought for the expedition.

The first day alone is uneventful as you travel west in hilly territory, but then comes the time to camp. Do you have any sleeping arrangements in mind?


Female Human Barbarian 7

To find a good secure defensible campsite. Survival: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

LOL, errr guess not. "Here guys, sleeping in this wash in front of this ominous cave seems like a good camping spot...."


32/42 HP

Post guards, preferably two a shift (we have the manpower). Lyria will take one of the midnight watches.


Male Dwarf Rogue 5

I'll take the watch with Lyria .
I would suggest Gregori with Roylenna and Ka'kara with Tika . Artival would be exempt tonight .


Half-Orc Monk 6 (Sacred Mountain)

Agreed


"I'll sleep tonight, if everyone else wants to watch!" Artival quickly agrees with Mahaffy's suggestion.


M Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light ) 5
Ghirrak Ironfist wrote:
Agreed

Ooops


Female Human Barbarian 7

I sense there is a more sinister side to our paladin :)


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Sorry all. Crazy week.

The first day of travelling alone is uneventful and so is the first night. The second day you scare off a couple of grizzly bears but on the second night something weird happens on Ka'kara's and Tika's watch.

You can all roll for Perception and Initiative, but those who are sleeping take a -10 Penalty to Perception.


Female Human Barbarian 7

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


Female Halfling Bard 1

Perception

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Tika is far to busy asking Ka'kara random and at times often trivial and/or Bizarre questions to notice anything.


M Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light ) 5

Gregori's dreams are far too engaging for him to notice anything.

1d20 - 9 ⇒ (9) - 9 = 0


Perception 1d20 - 8 ⇒ (6) - 8 = -2
Init 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Ka'kara suddenly notices a sleek tawny dog that seems to be staring at her from the edge of the clearing where you are camping. In the dim light from the campfire it almost looks like it glows.

The dog seems to be saying something.

Sylvan:

Spoiler:
"You must leave at once. This place is dangerous.

Knowledge (nature) 12:

Spoiler:
Yes, it is a blink dog, a benevolent canine with the ability to Dimension Door at will.


Female Human Barbarian 7

Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18

Ka'kara's eyes go wide and she hisses out a whisper "Tika look! It's a blink dog and I think it's trying to tell us something. I've never seen one before but they are supposed to be good luck." She slides off the log where she was sitting. She starts to move slowly in a non-threatening manner toward the dog to see if it wants her to follow it. Knowing her memory was terrible she still does her best to remember what it is trying to say, maybe one of the others can tell me what it means.


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

The dog looks over its shoulder with a concerned look. Then it gives a loud bark, enough to wake all of you, and disappears.

Behind where the dog was appears the insubstantial figure of a beautiful elven woman, bathed in green flames.

Knowledge (religion) 19:

Spoiler:
It's a Witchfire, the spirit of an evil witch, that burns with an unholy flame.

Your map.

How about those initiatives? The spirit goes on 20, so if you beat that you are up.


Female Halfling Bard 1

(Using Lore master to get a 29 for the check

"Oh wow first a blink dog and now a real life witchfire. How lucky are we?"

Init

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


M Aasimar Paladin (Warrior of the Holy Light ) 5

Knowledge Religion1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23
Initiative1d20 ⇒ 1


Male Dwarf Rogue 5

Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18


Female Human Barbarian 7

Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 19

Not liking the sound of "witch" and "fire" put together, "Is that a good thing Tika? I mean other than that you have now seen one..."


Female Halfling Bard 1

"Well...."

Knowledge religion check to recall information about it

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20


Male Dwarf Rogue 5

Off to Scotland for a week so posting will be erratic at best. do not hesitate to DNPC me


32/42 HP

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


Male Human (mostly) Mystic Theurge

Tika:

Spoiler:
A witchfire emits a deadly unholy fire which also curses its victims, making them vulnerable to fire. It also has some minor spell-like abilities and can summon Will-o-wisps.

The spirit raises its hand and envelops Ka'kara in unholy green fire, causing her 30 points of damage and a Will 22 save to avoid being sickened.

You are up, all of you. Will someone be so kind as to run Mahaffy for now?


Female Halfling Bard 1

"...uh it can do that as well as summon things" Tika procedes to inspire courage.


Female Halfling Sorcerer (celestial)

Hrmph... started without me, didn't even notice I wasn't with the caravan, had to ride with those smelly humans for TWO days, finally found an ogre going my way...

Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Roylenna casts Haste on the party.

Haste effects:
The transmuted creatures move and act more quickly than normal. This extra speed has several effects.

When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature's full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This effect is not cumulative with similar effects, such as that provided by a speed weapon, nor does it actually grant an extra action, so you can't use it to cast a second spell or otherwise take an extra action in the round.)

A hasted creature gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex saves. Any condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses.

All of the hasted creature's modes of movement (including land movement, burrow, climb, fly, and swim) increase by 30 feet, to a maximum of twice the subject's normal speed using that form of movement. This increase counts as an enhancement bonus, and it affects the creature's jumping distance as normal for increased speed. Multiple haste effects don't stack. Haste dispels and counters slow.

1 to 50 of 645 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Tom's Rappan Athuk All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.