Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

PaizoCon 2015

Black Dow's Iobarian Saga

Game Master Black Dow

PFRPG pbp conversion of the classic UK 2 & 3 series The Sentinel & The Gauntlet aka "THE IOBARIAN SAGA"


1,351 to 1,393 of 1,393 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

Luke stands between the fallen Stencmaga and the prisoners with an arrow notched and covering the actions of his companions just in case they are not accepting of escape.


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Ragnar looks down at the extended hand before raising his eyes to look upon the skald again without extending his own. Pushing on he asks "Any more alive?"


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

After an awkward moment Sagol lets his hand drop. Yes. The two cells next to mine there and there.


Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

Kylar leaves off the silence when Sagol speaks. "To whom do we owe our rescue, if rescue this is?"


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Furrowing his brow Ragnar answers "Already gave you my name, though we came here to kill puca... not rescue. No puca to be found, so we gutted the cannibal and his hund instead." standing back slightly and not showing overt aggression - allowing those that were captive within the cells to make their own way out.


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Well, the deed is done, and our fates are bound. There is more evil to be slain in this abyss, and glory still to be won.
Sagol walls out of his cell with his head held high in spite of numerous bruises and cuts that cover him. The bone club in his hand taps a subtle rhythm against his thigh.


Forgotten just what a cantankerous and hard ba$tard Ragnar is! Happy Days :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

Kylar drops the pitiful bone shard. It would have been less than useless against the armed and armored group before him. When he stands, he feels his bones and muscles ache with the strain. What little fat he'd ever had on him had melted away, leaving him bony in some places and taut in others.

"Sagol is optimistic," he says as he exits the cell. He looks about, but cannot immediately see where his pilfered belongings might have been stowed. How he hungered to study his spells again! Hopefully the tome would be undamaged - if it had not simply been used for firewood, or the pages torn out to wipe some cannibal's ass.

"Though my fate could use binding to folk who've been having better luck of late. I am called Kylar."


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

How could you not be Optimistic, friend Kylar? In times like this, great songs are begun! He claps the skinny wizard on the back with a great, calloused hand.


Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

Seeing the rescued prisoners as no threat in the presence of Ragnar, Luke steps forward and lowers his bow. In his normal brooding manner, he says lowly.

I am Luke Falgren, Warden of Berghof. We seek to rid this lair of Puca. If you care to aid us, then arm yerself and do so.

Luke begins to search the immediate vicinity for the clothes and equipment of the prisoners.

perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Let's find yer stuff. You did have clothes and maybe weapons, right?


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Aye, though mine is an instrument of creation and destruction. It is a club of formidable size, hard to miss.


Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11
Quote:
We seek to rid this lair of Puca. If you care to aid us, then arm yerself and do so.

Kylar nods. "We shared your goal when we were captured. I gladly take it up again. If... if any of you have food, or knowledge of medicine, I believe that all of us here are in need of both."

This said, the wizard joins in the search for his belongings.

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (4) + 11 = 15


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Putting skaggig back across his shoulders and stretching his neck to audible cricks Ragnar takes watch as the others search for gear. He adds "Puca probably dead or gone... maybe more of these cannibal bastards to kill though."


Searching past the carcasses and around the morass of muck, bones and refuse that Stencmaga once called its kennel nets little results... most likely equipment and weaponry taken from any prisoners will be housed elsewhere in the stolen nest.

I'll presume you'll slowly check out the remaining chambers... see map below for corresponding location - ignore Stenc's wee icon - RIP

PUCA LAIR

X7 Old Guard Room:

(This is where you first encountered Redec the Hinderling)

The walls and ceilings are covered with lurid blue paint, over which childish drawings of battle scenes and strange words have been scrawled in chalk.

There is a broken table lying on the floor, on top of which is a considerable quantity of what appears to be broken furniture.

DC20 Linguistics if X7 is re-explored:

The language used is Aklo - the speech of otherworldly monsters and evil fey. The drawings and words all lie at child level suggesting that (if it is their handiwork) the Puca are not perhaps simply "Woad Goblins"...

X9 The Training Room:

Arranged around this room are items which one would associate with training for combat and torture. By one wall sits a broken and blood-stained manikin. A rotten skull with long spikes hammered into it hangs by a chain from the ceiling. There are several thigh bones of varying thickness in a rack and a large barrel upon which sits several lengths of coiled rope... both the barrel and rope and slimey with congealed blood.

Nearby on a bench against another wall are some bottles, sacks and crudely fashioned crossbow bolts. Under this bench is a battered straw target...

DC10 Perception Check:

You examine the broken manikin and find a gruesome discovery - the manikin has been made from the corpse of a humanoid - crudely mummified in lime crusted bandages.

DC18 Heal Check IF above Perception check above is noticed:

Based on your expert eye this corpse is long time dead so it was either a fixture of the nest previously or was brought here...

Knowledge: Nature DC13:

You recognise the skull that hangs is of a small sized humanoid, most likely a Puca

Sacks:

In each of the sacks, you find the gear of the larder prisoners. In all cases the equipment is undamaged, but has been handled as the greasy, grim hand prints attest

Bottles:

3 flasks of Alchemical Oil

Barrel:

The rancid barrel holds lengths of sinew, feathers, lengths of blodpine wood and other sundry items that could be utilised to make bolts or arrows.

X10 Blockage:

A passage leading from the one which you have been following is completely blocked by a jumble of rocks, casks, sacks and other items. As you approach, the barricade of refuse the strong stench of rotting flesh assails you...

I'm leaving X6 as a more detailed search as this is the area the Hinderlings use as their main living chamber. Each of the trap icons shown on the map are all carrion pit traps (without the giant maggots) that Ragnar encountered on the initial breach of the Nest. Will presume you discover these given the caution you'll likely exhibit.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Sagol follows the new people when they move out. Without his gear he is much less useful at the front line. Thankfully, no one is in the next room.
He turns his nose up at the filth of the place. He had seen such before, of course, but the fact that these beasts lived like this never stopped being repulsive to him.

perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

In searching the room, he finds several sacks and opens them.
Here, friend captives, our gear!
For himself, he pulls out a sturdy suit of breast plate engraved with a heroic image of the legendary bard Beedle and his victory against Old Man Winter.
Next he removes a sling, his pack, then, lastly, a huge Greatclub with intricate carvings of many heroes doing deeds of legend. He handles the heavy looking weapon easily. Hello, old friend. I hope they didn't mistreat you.
He dons his armor, then takes up his club and strikes its top upon the ground. Hollow resonance chambers carved into its core humm with a deep thunder like a wide drum in response.
The Sound of Ancients is with us, friends. Let us have our revenge upon these that would dare take us captive!


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Knowledge (Nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Ragnar watches as the fresh meat regathers their weaponry and sees themselves returned to arms. The remainder of the once was puca's lair serves to give little more inspiration except for the barricade of rotten flesh. To the others he muses "Have you the strength to fight?"


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Aye, but one moment.
Sagol goes to each of the prisoners and whispers a chant over them. Whispers from thin air respond, and a few of their wounds are relieved.

CLW, Sagol: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
CLW, Kylar: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
CLW, Sesi: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Once that is done, he turns back to Ragnar and says, Ready


Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

Perception: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14
Know(Nature): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27

Kylar surveys the putrid surroundings, noting what seems like a Puca skull transfixed by spikes. Odd.

His investigations are interrupted as Sagol locates their equipment. the wizard is grateful to put the rest of his clothing back on and hold his spellbook - poorly handled though unharmed - once again. He also slips his precious ring back on his finger sigh a relieved sigh. Some modicum of his old power restored to him would serve until he could rest.

At Ragnar's question, he nods. "We were taken by deceit, and I took care to keep my spells fresh in my mind."

Black Dow:

At least, I assume so? Or should Kylar not have his spells currently? Let me know and I can retcon if needed.

He nods his thanks to Sagol as the man's healing magic shudders through him, restoring much of the vigor to his abused body.


Kylar:

You do indeed my friend. Likely you'd been keeping them memorised and readied, should your time for the pot have come... a last stand if you will...

Will give Sesi another rustle up before we move onward...

Kylar, Sesi & Ságol:

Should you wish to share any of your observations on the rest of the Hinderling family - you can tell Ragnar and Luke of the following:

The Hinderlings:

There are... were four of these misbegotten cave dwelling cannibals...

Redec (slain by Ragnar) was the youngest and the runt of the litter. He tended the trow-hund, and was most oft charged with feeding the prisoners a foul porridge and keeping guard of the lair

Fin'nok is the next oldest, and the largest. A massive, foul tempered brute who tormented his brothers and would exhibit sundering rages in the aftermath of any poisonings or slights.

Pakrit was the second eldest and gave the impression of being the most competant at arms. The only one of the brood to wear armour of iron. He was barely seen by the captives save for when he would question them on their weapons and equipment.

Det'ruk was the most sinister, eldest of the brood his brothers typically gave him a wide berth unless Fin'nok was feeling brave. Typically Det'ruk would placate his brother through the use of poisons - and you all suspect it was this Hinderling who administered the poisons used subjugate your company. You have all witnessed what appeared to be Det'ruk suddenly becoming visible at the makeshift bars of your cells. All the while wearing his slit mouth smile...

Bearncennicge ("Mother" in Auld Iobarian) - The woman who leads these cannibals has black, frostbitten skin, white hair, and carries a black ice staff decorated with bones and gems. Small and frail in comparison to her brutal "sons" this crone is cruelly arrogant, intelligent and has an insatiable hunger for flesh and bone. Having studied her actions and bearing you believe her very likely to be a hag of some description, and as such likely a being who wields fell powers...


Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

I assume that we ex-captives do in fact fill in our rescuers on everything we know about the hinderling brood and their "mother". Are there any knowledge rolls I can make to know more about her and her abilities?


You can spill it "off camera", or role-play it - either is good with me. A DC17 Knowledge (Nature) check will net you some more info on The Bearncennicge...

Ken O' The Bearncennicge - DC17 Knowledge (Nature) Check:

You have good cause to believe the Hinderling "Mother" may be a fell winter hag.

These sadistic crones haunt winter-blasted plains and rime-covered forests. Exceptionally arrogant, they oft use their magic to subjugate entire tribes of evil humanoids so they can rule over them as queen of a fashion. These arrangements rarely last more than a few seasons, because no creature is truly safe from a winter hag's irrepressible appetite for warm, raw flesh. An ambitious winter hag might extort a village by causing constant snowfall until they give her children to eat or adults to become her slaves...

Like all hags they possess innate spell abilities, granting them powers both deceptive and devastating

They carry potent staves of black ice, possess an kald breath and can move across ice and snow with ease. Their crystalline pupils grant them vision in all climes and can even see things invisible to normal mortals. Yet like many cold hearted creatures - they fear fire and the damage it can wrought upon them...


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

knowledge nature: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24


Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

We need to track this winter hag down afore she makes more trouble Fer the kind folk of my home.


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

As everyone gets their gear ready, Sagol gives the short and sweet of the owners of this filth pit (spoilered above). Of all of them, the mother worries him the worst. Anything that commands through that much fear deserves to be dispatched with extreme prejudice.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

Know(Nature): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

I know all things about this hag. All things forever.


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Grimacing Ragnar intones "Best to hack the knees apart before going for the head... any idea where the other cannibal bastards lay their head in this place?"


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Unfortunately, no. We're going to have to take this place apart room by room. Not that I mind.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Nodding, Ragnar pauses and has a thought. Going back to Redec's severed head he lifts it and tucks the beast's hair into his belt-loop, leaving it swinging from his belt like a macabre trophy. If queried he reasons "Black b1tch thinks the cannibal bastards are her sons... could be we'll get her pissed off enough to not fight well if we turn their heads into a nithing pole."


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Onward to X-10 and a means of breaking through the blockage.


I'll do a recap of the X6 search first?

Luke & Kylar:

With Knowledge (Nature) checks like yours, feel free to look over the Winter Hag stat profile on the SRD. Nothing there should take you by surprise - just make sure you mix up your crunch knowledge into fable/lore flavor :)


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Aye - missed that bit. X6 away


Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

Kylar's lips purse as he ponders what he knows of hags. "She possesses powerful magic. Innate. And earthly weapons do not bite her as they should... some connection to the Fey, perhaps. She is a creature of the ice and snow - any fire we can create or conjure will serve us well against her."

If we find her in this lair, there is a good chance she may overcome us all.


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Sagol approaches the barrier and wrinkles his nose. What on earth what that smell?
perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25


Afore moving toward the living chamber (X6) Ragnar initially mulls destroying the rot-stench emitting barricade of debris (X10)... however Sagol stays the big Northman's hand and axe...

Sagol Perception Check:

Your keen eyes notice that the barrier of debris has been built of rubbish, refuse plugged with a number of rotten carcass parts (of apparently different origins). However far more concerning is the numerous foul grubs that crawl and writhe amidst the fetid barrier that you recognise as dangerous rotian-maða (rot grubs)...


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Rotian-maða, rot grubs. He points out the foul parasites.
One touch and they'll start eating you.


Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

Fire is the key to her defeat, and she may easily hide her passing, even to my tracking abilities, but we will try.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

With a grimace of distaste and muscle memory from his own encounters with rot grubs Ragnar growls "Put it to fire..."

BD - could we have pillaged the alchy fire from Muli?


Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

Not for the first time, Kylar wishes he had made a study of the more aggressive magics. It would have been rather satisfying to bathe the disgusting little maggots in flames of his own making.


Muli nods enthusiastically and grins through his wild beard of tangled whiskers;

"Yes-yes. Muli knows the little Rotian-maða... Will byrn them well...

The wild man alchemist rummages through his massive pack and picks out a couple of stuffed hedgehogs, curled up as if sleeping... He gives both a little shake then gently rolls them toward the barricade of refuse and rotten muck.

"Well fired rolls for grub's breakfast! Best we all stand back!"

As he scoots round the corner to apparent safety as the two hedgrenades wobble slowly toward their target, a gently hissing emitting from them as they go..


AC 17/11/16 | F:5 R:2 W:2 | HP: 11/23 | CMD 16 | Init +4 | Perception +5

Sagol takes a few steps back just because the odd man was. The look on his face says he's not sure about the reality of what just happened.


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Ragnar stands outside of the line of fire, but does not see any need to cower. He keeps a ready grip on skaggig... as the tumult of noise to follow will likely draw some kind of interest...


Male Half-Elf Wizard(Abjurer)/3 HP 14/18 | Init +1 | AC 11/ T11/ FF10 | Saves Fort+3, Ref+2, Will+5 | Perception +11

Kylar takes cover around a corner, not willing to trust the safety of hedgehog alchemy. "And yet, perhaps I should make a study of such things."


HP: 7/21, NL: 0 | AC 16/13/13 Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5 | F+4 (+2 circumstance bonus vs. cold weather) R +6 W+3 | Per: +8 | Init: +3 | Arr: 40

"Ah-ah-chu!" Someone sneezes behind where the others are taking cover. The someone, a young woman with white hair and pointed ears drooped like a wolf's that is scared. The only piece of clothing that she seems to be wearing is a too-large woolen shirt that hangs loosely off of her shivering shoulders.

She speaks in a language that is definitely not locally known. Her voice is quiet and quivering as she forces the words out through chattering teeth.

Erutaki:
"Where is Snow-Paw?"

1,351 to 1,393 of 1,393 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Dow's Iobarian Saga All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2015 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.