Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Black Dow's Iobarian Saga

Game Master Black Dow

PFRPG pbp conversion of the classic UK 2 & 3 series The Sentinel & The Gauntlet aka "THE IOBARIAN SAGA"


801 to 850 of 1,340 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>

The Wilderness before ye...

Perception DC15 for Ragnar, Skolyrrk & Nadia/DC20 for the rest o' ye:

As you being to leave the trade post of Gánnáhwǽr, you first have a feeling of being watched... Your keen senses notice a high tower set apart from the gate and from its barred windows baleful eyes of a prisoner follow you...

Secondly from the same area a low whistling cuts through the wind, not tuneful but rather a mournful keening...

Nadia, Skol & Ragnar check out the additional spoiler below if your able to read this :)

Our Ulfen contigent (should they make the above Perception Check:

The tune is a famous one o' the North; Marsj til Borrehaugene (Skald: "March to the Death Mound").

Traditionally when whistled it is to call upon the dead to welcome those who would join them soon.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

Kevkul stares out to the white rugged terrain before him. His resolute dwarven soul thinks nothing of the hardship and starts putting one foot before the other.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Kevkul would stand at the rear, last or second last depending on Muli's habit of collecting flora and fauna.


Kevkul I'll presume Petrik travels alongside you unless you specifically want him somewhere else?


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

Nadia presses through the snow carrying her masterwork bow and breathes in deeply the crisp Ioberian air. She is excited to be exploring the land of her ancestors. She looks around taking everything in while being aware of the wildlife she had studied so many times at the academy.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

Nadia sees the prisoner and then recognizes the tune being whistled. A cold chill creeps over her and she shudders.

Whispering to the group: Does anyone know his story? Pointing out the prisoner who is watching them.


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

Ragnar casts eyes to the tower for a moment, before shrugging and spitting on the ground. "Feh, I know not" setting skaggig astride his shoulders as he trudges through the tundra. The cold bites, but the northman pays no heed.

Ragnar is probably second row - with Luke assumed out scouting ahead.


For flavour - you'll know that the prisoner is one of the Irrensr...


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

He whistles Marsj til Borrehaugene. She shudders again and then pulls her hood tightly over her head.

Mars til Borrehaugene = March to the Death Mound


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Well in that case...

Ragnar counsels Nadia "Just the mewling of a crippled dog... nothing of our concern"


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

The hound whistles for himself, his true nature revealed soon, and the silver blades will be sharp.

Kevkul trudges behind Petrik who carries his spear proudly and on guard. He wears his new wooden holy symbol close to his heart, worried not of the cold biting air.


Male Human Alchemist (Beastmorph) 3

It may have not been entirely obvious in Muli's earlier post, but he drank an Endure Elements extract.

Muli will start in the middle, but before too long will end up in the rear, as usual.


I'll move things along, but feel free to retro-comment on anything above as you go

Your group makes good progress, with Luke path-finding the tracks of the dweorg merchant train is picked up with ease. The frosty ground is rent with the tracks of heavy cart wheels and numerous booted feet. In addition the pats from the shaggy cattle pulling Ǽdensor’s wagons offer easy (if pungent) markers to the right direction.

As the day progresses the weather continues to draw in, with a sleety wind whipping across your vision and company. The weather however does little to stymie your Warden how leads at pace.

As you clear the latest stretch of undulating terrain, from the hazy sleet ahead you all hear a series of deep, heavy snorts...

Some 50ft. ahead of your group stands the shaggy frost clad bulk of an Iobarian Bison.

The large beast snorts and shovels at a pile of cattle dungs; zealously shunting its muzzle and wide horns through the muck... The big male (and it is clearly a male!) has not yet noticed your group, but any closer might tempt fate...

Knowledge: Nature DC10:

The Iobarian Bison are cantankerous beasts, and at this time of year – the mating season, bulls even more so...

Depending on your actions I may or may not require a map...


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

Whispering: He is in heat. We need to be on guard. Normally he would be docile, but in this state...


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Ragnar puts a steadying left hand on Liten Mun's shoulders while his right keeps skaggig steady across his own. Speaking quietly "He would make for good eating..."


Male Human Fighter 3) (HP: 35/35, AC: 17, Touch: 13

Aye, good eating! Skolrykk nods, tossing his longspear from hand to hand.
But a long detour in a hunt against time, nae Luke?


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

Kevkul keeps mum and watches the beast intently. He pats Petrik's back holding him firm against any rash action.

Let the warriors decide, I hope they do not go and pick a fight.


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Keeping his eyes on the bison Ragnar grimaces and counsels "I go this way, circle to the left." and starts to step slowly and surely to the right and closer to the beast. A hand signal sends Liten Mun looping in the opposite direction.

As he approaches he begins to growl quietly, but loud enough to make it noticeable to the beast. Ragnar seeks it's attention solely upon him... so that his companions might loop around unnoticed to it's rear. The trick will be making the challenge to the bison agressive enough to draw it's gaze... but neutral enough to avoid it's charge.

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 ...or not... might need that map ;)


Male Human Alchemist (Beastmorph) 3

Muli catches up and finds the group paused. "Oh..a bison. Strength and steadfastness. And considering his state, extracts for softer ailments. But such a beast could feed a village. Muli agrees to go around, a waste to slaughter him, when he needs to go make more bison."


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

As Ragnar moves forward, she follows the others circling around slowly. She draws back an arrow quietly readying to fire if the Bison charges.

Stay calm...It is no different than a target. It's heart is the bulls eye.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

Watching Ragnar's actions Kevkul waits for the opportune moment before following the others sneak past the distracted beast.


Un man und his hund...

To a degree Ragnar's strategy appears to work... his growling gets the big bull's attention, and it paws the ground, eyes rolling in part fear, part aggression as the bulky Northman.

As it does so, the others in the group circle round, using both the distraction of Ragnar and the poor visibility of the sleet to put distance between themselves and the heated bison.

How far are you lot going past the bull? @Ragnar what next - you clearly have M(r) Bison's attention, but that might come at a cost depending on what's next...


Male Human Fighter 3) (HP: 35/35, AC: 17, Touch: 13

From the other side of the Bison, Skolrykk motions silently for Ragnar to loop around.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

Kevkul hurries along, putting as much distance from the bull and ensures his acolyte does the same. He stops after making sure the bull is at a considerable distance away and trains his crossbow instead on the beast.


Male Human Alchemist (Beastmorph) 3

Muli will pull out the Ice Toad from earlier and give it a vigerous shake to get it primed....he will hold it just in case the Bison decides to charge, as he slowly tries to make his way around.


Once his fellow travellers are suitably clear, Ragnar eases past the shaggy brute (as best a burly heavily armoured Northman can).

Just as he skirts the big bull, he catches the beast's bloodshot eye and it scrapes a deep groove in the tundra...

Ragnar give me a another Handle Animal check...


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Handle Animal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Ragnar keeps his motions steady and smooth as best he can while continuing past. His eyes are steady and clear and face inscrutable... but the knuckles on his right hand whiten slightly as his grip on skaggig firms...

Attempting to continue past


Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

Sorry guys...I received no notification of thread advancement.

Luke draws his bow and readies an action to fire. Being certain that he first creaps up to within thirty feet.

Stealth: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13


Luke creeps into position and the rest of you warily watch Ragnar's progress past the bovine brute...

DMs Fickle Bones O' Fate:

Smiley Stealth: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25

Mmmm Bison: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14

The bull snorts and sniffs the air as the vikingr fixes it with a withering stare; the tundra bison's eyes roll and it seems even more nervous than before...

Everyone give me a Perception check...


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

Kevkul's eyes glance around, hoping to find the cause of the bison's concern.


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Good rolls...

Kevkul & Nadia:

Neither of you notice anything untoward... however the bison's apprehension may be Ragnar... but may not...


Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Male Human Alchemist (Beastmorph) 3

Perception -> 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


Male Human Fighter 3) (HP: 35/35, AC: 17, Touch: 13

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16


Muli & Skølrykk:

From what you can see the bull is getting more and more agitated by Ragnar's movements...

Luke:

What appears to be a simple bull pi$$ed at man situation is just to simple for your eyes... Iobabrian bison, even bulls in rut tend just to charge; this big lad is nervous...

As your keen eyes scan around, they are drawn to a pair of distant (80ft. away) icy blue eyes framed by a fluid grey frame and crowned in hoarfrost; edging closer to both the bull and Ragnar...

What your keen eyes see... (left image!)


Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

Luke says lowly, so that the rest of the party can hear as they sneakily approach the bison.

A big cat of prey approaches, prepare yourselves, my arrow will lead the way.

Luke takes his readied shot at the approaching menace with a MW Cold Iron Arrow.

LB ATT:1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 8 + 1 = 12
LB DAM: 1d8 ⇒ 4

Knowledge Nature:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Spotting the great cat as Luke looses his arrow, Ragnar spins and howls a challenge before looking to bear down on a new trophy...

Can I charge it? :P


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

Nadia points her bow in the direction of Luke's arrow readying to attack at first sight of the beast.


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

Let the beast be, for the bison would nourish the cat and we would be on our way.

Kevkul keeps his position, watching the events unfold and not seeing any big cat.


Luke:

You recognise the big cat as a Smilodon or Seaxbita (AI:"Knife-biter") as it is known in Iobaria. These ferocious predators are rightly avoided, capable of taking down a bison or even jotunn. When hunted by the foolhardy they are always engaged at distance for their claws, raking attacks and terrible bites inflict brutal wounds...

Luke and Ragnar notice the approach of a deadly tundra big cat; whether it stalks the bull or your group is unknown.

Luke and Ragnar - you guys can act since you spotted Big Smiley... You can still fire your arrow Luke or change up/heed Kev's works etc. Ragnar as you can see Big Smiley is indeed in charging range...

Smilodon Encounter

Initiative Rolls:

Smiley: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Bully: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Ragnar: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11
Luke:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Nadia: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17
Muli: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Skol: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Kev: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Once we hit Round 1 here's the initiative order:

Luke & Nadia 17
Muli 16
Big Smiley 12
Ragnar (& Liten Mun) 11
Kevkul (& Petrik) 9
Skol & Mr Bison 4


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Surprise:

Kevkul's warding words are as distant thoughts as the primal urge arises within Ragnar's breast. Liten Mun shys and backs away as Ragnar howls a challenge in the great feline's own language. Heavy feet break the snow as the Northman puts pride and challenge afore reason and rushes to'ward his fate. Skaggig, the jätte köttyxa is brought down in a powerful and brutish overhead swing...

Raging Power Attacking Charge with Skaggig: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 2 - 1 + 2 = 23 for 1d12 + 4 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 3 + 3 = 16

Charge E,12
jätte köttyxa - giant cleaver


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

The Ulfen do not back from battle. May that the bison find his backside not appealing for its horns.

Kevkul watches Ragnar rush forward towards an unseen foe yet and keeps an eye on the wary bison.


Male Human Ranger Warden/3, HP: 33/33, AC: 17, T: 13, FF: 14, Initiative: +6, Perception: +7 (+2)

Round 1; HP: 33/33, AC: 17, Precise Shot

Luke still shoots his surprise round attack above.

Luke moves up 30 feet, bringing him to within 50 feet of the cat, and he looses another MW cold Iron Arrow.

LB ATT:1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 8 + 1 = 24
LB DAM: 1d8 ⇒ 4


Folks the "Smilodon Encounter" tag above is a map link - should have put "MAP" in the title... sorry

Ragnar's reckless charge and brutal strike finds its mark. Skaggig bites deep into the Smilodon's shoulder and elicits a pained roar of anger from the king of the tundra...

With Ragnar engaging the beast in combat, the rest of you realise just how big the predator is...

Luke lets one of his arrows fly, but Ragnar's bellowing distracts the warden and his shot flies wide and handsome of the fearsome feline.

Ragnar's charge has a secondary unexpected effect as the tundra bison, clearly spooked bolts...

Dice O' Doom1d12 ⇒ 2 2 o' clock

... with the intent of running roughly towards Nadia's current position.

Luke's second arrow fairs better, burying itself into the cat's hide...

Nadia & Muli up


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

Nadia moved up to F16 and fires an arrow at the big cat hoping the bison is fleeing.

Bow Precise/point blank: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Male Human Alchemist (Beastmorph) 3

Round 1

Muli steps into his throw and sends the stuffed Ice Toad at the big cat.

5' step closer and throw

Alchemist Bomb 20' 7/7-> 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Miss Location -> 1d8 ⇒ 2

It lands short but disgorges a spray of flame that still scorches the cat. -> 6 fire splash damage.

Status: AC 15, touch 12, flat-footed 13; HP 24/24; Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +2; CMD 16; Endure Elements, 6/7 Bombs Left; 3/4 Extracts Left.


Round 1 Cont

Luke & Nadia 17
Muli 16
Big Smiley 12
Ragnar (& Liten Mun) 11
Kevkul (& Petrik) 9
Skol & Mr Bison 4

Nadia stalks closer to the titanic struggle between man and cat and expertly buries an arrow deep in the Smilodon's flank. The beast emits a piercing yowl as this is followed by fiery rain that showers on both the beast and its Viking protagonist.

By my reckoning Ragnar got hit too... but given what is about to transpire I'm letting it go for flavour purposes...

Turning its pained fury upon the human before it the huge cat brings its terrible weapons to bear...

Bite: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Claw 1: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Claw 2: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
Claw 2 Crit Threat: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24

Bite Damage: 1d6 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 6 - 1 = 7 + Bleed
Claw 1 Damage:1d4 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (1) + 6 - 1 = 6 + Grab
Claw 2 Damage:1d4 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 6 - 1 = 8 + Grab
Claw 2 Crit Damage:1d4 + 6 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 6 - 1 = 8

Total = 29 damage... ouch... bless'd is DR... :)

Grapple - Free Action: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (17) + 14 = 31

The Smilodon's knife like bite sinks deep into Ragnar's shoulder and neck causing blod to spout from the terrible wound. One claw just pierces his armour, while the other sinks deep into his hip, razored claws tearing bright furrows in his armour and flesh...

Clamped upon its new prey the tundra hunter seeks to finish the job...

UPDATED MAP

DMBlackDow's Damage Tracker... No sneaky-peeky :):

Big Smiley: 28/60 HP remaining...

Ragnar (& Liten Mun), Kevkul (& Petrik), & Skol up...

Ragnar you're grappled and take 1 Bleed damage at the beginning of your turn...


Male Dwarf Cleric of Cailean Caydean 3

Stay behind Petrik, hold your spear fast and strong.

Kevkul runs across the snowy field north as he watches Ragnar being mauled. Drawing his shield with his left, he takes a bead at the cat before triggering the crossbow's release.

Kevkul to E20. Fires crossbow one handed and draws shield.

fire crossbow: 1d20 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (13) + 2 - 4 = 11
damage: 1d10 ⇒ 7


Male Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 3 (Invulnerable Rager archetype)

Round 1: HP 44 - 29 - 1 = 14/44, AC 14, 2/11 Rage Rounds spent

Ragnar bears the assault of the fanged beast manfully until the second raking claw digs deep into his ribs and steals the strength from his left hand. Letting skaggig fall into the snow, Ragnar's right hand rips alfr smarta from it's scabbard in a reverse grip. Spitting blood at the great cat even as the same crimson liquid flows from his mouth to stain his beard and chainmail. His weakened left hand bats at the smilodon's head while his blade cuts low, seeking tendons...

Raging Grappled Power Attack with Longsword: 1d20 + 6 + 2 - 1 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 6 + 2 - 1 - 2 = 17 for 1d8 + 3 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 3 + 2 + 2 = 14


Initiative +4, Perception +6, AC 18/14/14, Fort +2/Ref +8/Will +3, HP 22, Archaeologist Bard

Nadia calls out to Ragnar, Do you want to be greased so you can get away from the cat's hold?

801 to 850 of 1,340 << first < prev | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Black Dow's Iobarian Saga All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.