Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Baldwin the Merciful's - CoT Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master baldwin the merciful

This is Council of Thieves AP. Westcrown, City of Twilight, once was the center of Aroden's faith, but now it symbolizes despair. By day, the city remains a vibrant center of trade; but, by night only those with a death wish venture out.


1 to 50 of 26,346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Evil GM

The City of Twilight was once the shining beacon for Aroden, but the god of humanity, innovation, and history died in 4606 AR. The time that followed resulted in chaos of unexplained propotions. Thirty years of strife and civil war laid waste to all that was pure and beautiful.

The rise of the Thrice-Damned House of Throne saw Westcrown dive further into ruin. When the capital was moved from Westcrown to Egorian, much of the infuence and nobility fled along with the exodus.

Many a noble houses faced finacial ruin during the years following the death of Aroden, and during the time that the Thrice-Damned House of Throne soldiified its rule. At least 19 houses relocated to Egorian as the new rulers rose in power. Leaving a mere 12 major noble houses as the powers-that-be in Westcrown, retaining their power either openly in trade and commerce or covertly through the Council of Thieves.

But it all began in Rova of 4676 AR, when...


F Human, NPC, Lady of Justice

Reciting before a small group of students the strict professor, with the wind blown hair, begins to quote the famed Apothecary, "Before the Age of Lost Omens, Westcrown dubbed itself “the shining light of Aroden’s civilization.” Now, others taunt us and say, “You can find anything, civilized or not, in Westcrown—except for Aroden.” Ignore outsiders—we know the truth. We did not fail Aroden—he failed us, though we Wiscrani held the faith! We embraced that adversity and replaced his betrayal with strength and order. The Hellknights paved our way and House Thrune walked it to greatness. I don’t blame them at all for moving the capital—this place only reminds you of past failures. Besides, better for a Wiscrani to make a living without so many priests or imperials around, and easier for those of us who deserve it to ascend to higher stations without them in our way."
—Alcini Vitaron of Alcini’s Apothecary


Human, NPC

Shinon as you walking through Westcrown's rundown area, near the Rego Cader (the Northern Ruins), often referred to as the "Dead Sector" of Westcrown, when an attractive young lady approaches you. She is wearing black leathers over a chain shirt, and boots that lace up to mid-thigh, on her hip she wears a longsword that has an emerald hilt.

Shinon:
"Hello, my young vigilante. pausing a moment she makes sure that she has eye contact with you, "My name is Janiven, and please don't be startled; but yes, I've been watch your work lately. Smiling at you."We have much in common, you should join me today at ...say, 4:00pm at the Vizio Tavern. I promise that you will be home before sunset. We have much to discuss." She saunters away.


Human, NPC

You see an attrative young woman enter the "Dirty Wrench" with a familar face, Alfar Decan. She is wearing black leathers over a chain shirt, she is giggling at something Alfar has stated. Her high boots are laced up to mid-thigh, as they disappear into the seedy tavern together.

John Does:

"John may son, come on over," as the older man waves to you from across the room. "Let me introduce you to the lovely Janiven," he holds up three fingers for mead to come to the table. Janiven smiles and says, "The pleasure is all mine, Alfar, assures me that you are trustworthy and would relish an opportunity to expand your horizons. pausing to take a deep gulp of her mead, "Perhaps you would be interested in meeting me today at ...say, er...4;00pm at Vizio's Tavern. smiling coyly at you, and then at Alfar, before standing to excuse herself.


Human, NPC

On the way to work at the money changer, an interesting young female approaches you, she hands you a small coin purse and states,

Andrea:
"A small tithe to Urgathoa, in these tough times. Perhaps, you would be so kind as to join me tonight at ...say...4;00pm, at Vizio's Tavern. It could be an enlightening meeting for all involved. As she turn as walks away from you in the opposite direction. The small coin purse contains 20 GP.


Human, NPC

A pretty young lady dressed in black leathers covering a chain shirt, with longsword on her side, wearing black felt floppy hat enters the blacksmith shop, she smiles at you...

Duncan Redhammer:
"Good morning, I would like this dagger edged today, if you can. Of course," as she puts out 10 GPs,"I can pay for the work but I need it delivered today, at 4:00pm, at Vizio's Tavern. I will even buy you a stout when you drop it off for he good work., she smiles and leaves without hearing your answer. The edge of the blade is worn and nicked, and there is a trace of dried blood on it.


Human, NPC

As you are walking down the road, a young female approaches you, touching your elbow softly...almost, sensual then she smiles at you, showing her pouty soft lips.

Kenji Masada:
"Perhaps we can have few private words, together.' She steps into a a small alcove, "I've 'eard about ye deed with yer fists. I'm wonderin' if you want to use them for a true purpose? She bats her long eyelashes at you, highlighting her big brown eyes, "If ye want to talk, meet me at Vizio's Tavern, at 4:00pm. She smiles again playfully, and leaves the alcove.


Female Human Cleric/Holy Vindicator 7/6 Init +4 HP 93/93 AC 25 (touch 12 FF25) F14,R7,W18Per+19

Andrea gives the woman a silent nod and then looks at the purse in her hands. This is..disturbing. How did she know? Andrea pcokects the bag and heads to work. Slipping 10 of the gold into the pouch she has as set aside to send back. I will go there earlier so I can determine what might happen. If need be I will silence her. Andrea makes arrangements with her employer to leave early and promises to work an extra shift to make up. Before she goes, she slips her sickle into her day robes.
When she arrives at Vizio's, she buys a drink and tries to ply information from the bartender or patrons if the woman who met her has been around, and any other possible information Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 Andrea makes sure to give her best smile and even orders some extra stew to help convince the bartender that it is worhtwhile to help a paying customer.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3 HP 25/29, Initiative +5, AC 16, Touch 13, FF 13 CMD 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +2

Shinon raised an eyebrow as a human woman walked up to him boldly in the middle of the streets of the Dead Sector. She was clearly armed, and Shinon gritted his teeth. Did this wench think him some lost noble with coin to steal? His hand was on an arrow in an instant, and as he started to try and knock it beneath his cloak, the woman began to speak.

Shinon was so surprised by her words that he actually dropped the arrow and dry-fired his bow. He winced in pain, dropping that as well and examining his fingers. The string had almost cut his skin, but for now it just looked like some serious irritation.

Shinon looked up to address the woman's request, but she was gone. He narrowed his eyes, picked up his bow and quiver, and headed into the alleyway, then climbed up to the rooftop and scanned the area below. He couldn't see her...

"The Vizio Tavern, huh?" Shinon muttered to himself. He clenched one gloved fist and took a deep breath. "Well, it's definitely a trap, but if I don't go along with it, she'll report me to the guards...even if she doesn't have any proof, they couldn't ignore that kind of report, and I don't need any extra attention right now. Guess I'll meet her there."

**************************

4:00 PM, Vizio Tavern

Shinon entered the inn, pausing for a moment to take in all of his surroundings. The stench of alcohol was heavy in the air, but Shinon managed to ignore it, and focused his eyes and ears, looking for anything and anyone he found suspicious. Well, more suspicious, anyway.

Spoiler:

Perception Check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Shinon receives a +2 bonus to this result for the purposes of noticing humans.


Male Dwarf Expert 1/Inquisitor 4 (Witchunter) Int+4, F6, R1, W4, +4 vs Spells/PoisonAC19/T12/FF17, HP46/4663/67 when raging

Duncan bites back his reply as the woman leaves. Her approach was so obvious it was rediculous. Who the hells pays 5 times a daggers worth, just for a sharpen? This is a meet, but why?

Certainly she wasn't a hellknight. If they knew his activities, they'd have simply come in a taken him to disappear into what passed for Westcrown's 'Justice' system. IF he even made it that far. Hah! I should just send the damn boy to drop it off. THAT would mess her plans nicely.....Ahh, screw it!

Duncan leaves the edge work to his apprentice, grabs a 3 daggers from the rack and leaves 6 gold for the boss and gives 4 to the boy. Start buying yer own tools lad. Yer ready to actually start learning the craft, beyond runnin errans and stoking the forge. I'm off now. See ye tomorrow. Git yer girlie a decent meal this night and sing to her belly before bed. Probably lose yer head one day so make sure the kid remembers ye.

Later he arrives a good 2 hours early and moves about, watching the place for bad signs and planning his escape route. Finally going in 10 minutes late, having seen a few likely SKILLED people go in, he decides to enter...


Male Human(Minkakian) Martial Artist lvl 2 (Int +4) (AC17)

I stand with a dumbstruck and plenty flustered at the sudden attention of a lovely young woman. I am unable to respond to her flirtatious behavior before she darts off.

Once she is gone I look down at my hands. Clenching them into fists I smile. Pretty girl comments about my fists and wants to meet at a bar? When did I do something good enough to deserve that kind of attention? I put up my fists and do a few quick jabs. Maybe she wants me to help her with a problem. A charming young damsel in distress needs the masterful arts of Kenji Masada. Well I better not be late.

With little else better to do, I head to the tavern. It is a good thing I head there early as the place still confuses me and I haven't quite got down the layout of the whole city and the goofy terms these Westcrown folks keep using.

I finally find the place after hours of searching for it and head in. Just an hour before the appointed time. Good thing I began looking as soon as she left. Might not have found it in time. I sit down and order a drink eagerly keeping my eyes open for the pretty girl.

To any who see me enter, I am a young rugged looking Minkakian Male. I stand about 5' 6" and I have shoulder length unkept hair. I have a weeks worth of facial hair. My cloths are very foreign, oriental to be exact, and look like they have seen better days. All in all, I look like a bum of no importance.


Evil GM

By way of general knowledge all would be familiar with the Dottari which is the city's guard. The Dottari are the first line of law an order .They are the local police force.

It is easy to identify the dottari and their respective ranks, dottari all wear the city’s mark—Aroden’s Eye—stenciled in black over a red field on a shield or tabard. Dottari officers wear a reversed mark
(red on black field) on their left arms, their rank rising as
the mark moves from the shoulder (for lesser officers), to the forearm, to a ring for the duxotar or warden-major in command of the guards who answer only to the mayor.

Dottari, regardless of postings, always travel in squads of seven—six soldiers and one lieutenant. Five squads report to each captain and at least three captains report to each major. There are at least two majors per rego or sector reporting to each of the four durotasi, or “rank wardens.”

Everyone can make Knowledge-local to be able to know any additional information.

I should have mentioned this in the individual invitation posts last night, but if you would like to make a Knowledge local the DC is 10, to learn a bit more about the young lady.


Evil GM

Vizio's Tavern is located in the Parego Spera region of Westcrown, "Hope's Altar," which is a thriving business area within the city. This is where commerce and coin rule, and politics takes a backseat.

The tavern looks a bit run down, at the moment, it is sorely in need of fresh paint and upkeep. The ole sign is faded, and splintering. A few patrons have come and gone, but the traffic within the tavern is sluggish.

The alley is busy with commerce, as merchants move about their business, errand boys running with undoubtedly important matters in hand. Merchant guards look around at various faces, trying to determine if they are sneaks or not.

Duncan from your early vantage point you have observed two dottari patrols over the last hour and half time period. Nothing looks out of the ordinary, and no hellknights have been observed. As you are about to enter the tavern, you notice a young man in oriental clothing, who stops scratching his head with a lost look on his face, obviously a stranger.

Andrea and Shinon you each turn into the ally heading towards the Western coast and the Vizio Tavern at the same time. There is a patrol of dottari walking by, as a young boy bumps into Andrea. "'cuse me, he sputters obviously in a hurry he quickly raises his palms upward to show nothing is in his hands. A look of panic on his face.

Everyone can make a knowledge local or Diplomacy DC10 check to learn more about Vizio's tavern.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3 HP 25/29, Initiative +5, AC 16, Touch 13, FF 13 CMD 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +2

3 Knowledge (Local) checks
Additional Info about Dottari: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Additional Info about Janiven: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Additional Info about Vizio's Tavern: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

As Shinon moved closer to the tavern, he couldn't help but close his eyes and smile. There were so many merchants around pushing their wares, all of them shouting at the same time, asking for the same coin, fighting their way to the top, just doing their best to bring food home to their wives and kids. Say what you want about merchants, but they worked hard, and their work was, for the most part, honest.

Shinon rounded the corner of a street, walking into an alleyway that would take him right to the Vizio Tavern. There was an odd-looking human female walking next to him, but Shinon paid her no mind. She was not his quarry.

A young child bumped into the girl and quickly excused himself, raising his hands quickly to show he was no thief. The child looked frightened, and Shinon stopped walking and knelt down, giving him an honest smile. "Hey, it's okay. No one's accusing you of anything. Accidents happen, and you apologized, so everything is alright. Here, take this," Shinon pressed 5 silvers into the boy's outstretched hand, "and go get yourself something to eat. And try to pay attention to where you're walking okay? You don't want to run into any Dottari! They cover their shins in that heavy metal armor! Ouch!"

Giving the child one more encouraging smile, he stood up and faced the woman. "Are you alright?" he asked, doing his best to seem pleasant. The last thing he needed was for this woman to get angry and smack this kid around while there were guardsmen so close.


Evil GM
Andrea1 wrote:

Andrea gives the woman a silent nod and then looks at the purse in her hands. This is..disturbing. How did she know? Andrea pcokects the bag and heads to work. Slipping 10 of the gold into the pouch she has as set aside to send back. I will go there earlier so I can determine what might happen. If need be I will silence her. Andrea makes arrangements with her employer to leave early and promises to work an extra shift to make up. Before she goes, she slips her sickle into her day robes.

When she arrives at Vizio's, she buys a drink and tries to ply information from the bartender or patrons if the woman who met her has been around, and any other possible information [dice=Diplomacy]1d20+7 Andrea makes sure to give her best smile and even orders some extra stew to help convince the bartender that it is worhtwhile to help a paying customer.

Andrea, I want to slow it down just a touch and get your character right to entry of the tavern rather than inside. I will use the Diplo roll you made to impart additional information that you were able to gather on the street.

Andrea Diplo:
While poking round for information about the mysterious lady, you learn that her name is Janiven. She is known on the streets for her work in various guilds, and merchant houses as a capable body guard. Recently, she is rumored to have bought a local tavern with a business partner. It is clear that she is respected in the community.


Evil GM

Shinon in your journey towards Vizio's Tavern you are able to gather additional information.

Shinon's Gather Information, Dottari:
First, you already know that the Lord Mayor, Aberian Arvanxi, appoints the "High Warden" of the dottari. The recent High Warden is the mayor's young, oft-drunken nephew, Duxotar Iltus Mhartis, who has his subordinates handle the day-to-day affairs. He is known to look the other way, if a few extra coin in find his pocket.

Gathering Information, Janiven:
You have heard nothing but praise as to Janiven's capability and her being a trustworthy guard. She tends to be brash and no-nonsense. She has recently taken over a bar in the Parego Spera district.

Gathering Information, Vizio's Tavern:
This was one of the favorite places for merchant guards in its heyday. Often a place to relax and let off steam for the working crew. The patriarch Vizio passed away about 18 months ago, his hiers grew tired of running the business about 8 months ago. They have left town. It stood empty until recently, when two people purchased it.

I will hold off the roleplaying interaction with the child until Andrea checks in. Her reaction may influence what occurs.


Evil GM

Kenji after a few minutes of walking around the city maze, known as streets and alleys, you finally see the old faded out sign. The building looks in disrepair. The double door is a heavy worn oak, it has numberous scars and nicks on the exterior. The door mechanics operate smoothly though and it swings open easily.

There is an odor of stall alochol, combined with a musky aroma. There is hint of spice and meat cooking in the back.

The room itself is 30 ft by 30, and boxy. There are several tables and chairs around the room. All appear similarly worn. There is a marred long oak bar, that covers most of the right hand wall when looking inside from the doorway. Behind the bar is a single doorway leading towards the source of the cooking smells.

Standing on a small ladder is the lady who approached you on the street. She is dressed, as before, but she has a large cloth in her hand that she is using to wipe down the shelves.

She smiles and nods at you when you entire,"Hullo, you are early and the first to arrive,"waving towards the tables for you to sit. She gets down and pours a dark chocately stout and brings it over to you, "Enjoy...I have some cleaning and work to do ...for a bit."


Male Human Fighter(Tower Shield Specialist) 6/ Hellknight 2 +5 int, AC 26, Touch 12, FF 25, Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +5 HP66/82, Perception +12

"I will be happy to meet you later." John responds to Janiven. When she has left John asks Alfar "Do you think you could tell me more about Miss Janiven? Manly what she would like to see me about?"


Evil GM

Your teacher leans closer and whispers, "You have learned much and trained hard...your father would be proud...but as you know, not all Hellknights have the same goals.' Taking a deep drink,"The Rack, which roams this City unchecked is often at odds with The Scourge. We don't like the shadowy beasts that roam at night. Likewise, there are layers of corruption within this city and there are some who seek to end corruption. Pausing long, and draining his drink. He begins to stand, "till our next lesson, leaving 8 coppers on the table.


Male Human Fighter(Tower Shield Specialist) 6/ Hellknight 2 +5 int, AC 26, Touch 12, FF 25, Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +5 HP66/82, Perception +12

After his teacher leaves, John ponders on what he said. He decides that the best place to get answers would be from Janiven. When the time approaches for his meeting with her John heads to Vizio's Tavern.


Evil GM

Every person knows that Westcrown is not safe at night and the following is general knowledge, even for those relatively new to the city.

Westcrown by Night

It all began in Rova of 4676 AR. What started as stories of strange creatures slinking through the shadows became a citywide panic as Wiscrani began disappearing off the darkened streets. Rumors spread quickly of a return of the White Plague or a resurrection of the infamous Council of Thieves, but these tales were soon replaced by reports of a shadowy calamity at Delvehaven, the local Pathfinder lodge, and sightings of dark and insubstantial beings hunting the streets.

After months of ignoring or dismissing the problem, the government eventually launched a campaign to seek out and put an end to what they downplayed as an infestation of giant rats, goblins, and goblin dogs. Yet the dottari proved ill equipped for these midnight hunts, and the office of the mayor offered only empty promises. Growing fear and anger led to scapegoating and suspicions of insurrectionists from Nidal, which culminated in a mob’s daylight burning of twin Nidalese coasters. Finally, for the populace’s protection, a curfew was enacted throughout the city while a small army of dottari and experienced mercenaries were commissioned to deal with the shadowy curse that had afflicted the Wiscrani night. Numerous raids and hunts were conducted in the Dospera and ancient city sewers, only to result in the loss of many hunters with little apparent gain. Thus, the nightly curfew remained in effect for more than 30 years, with the unwary risking their very lives.

Today, with the dying of every day’s light, businesses hurriedly close and respectable homes light lanterns outside their doors. Members of the dotarri light pyrahjes, man-sized torches, throughout the Parego Regicona and in the major plazas of the Parego Spera, patrolling between such islands of light in groups of seven. Taverns, festhalls, and similar establishments maintain sleeping rolls for those who stay after dark, collecting a customary 2 sp fee for boarders soon after twilight. Those forced onto the street after dark typically carry halorans, 7-foot-tall hooked staves hung with bright lanterns, made publicly available along the city’s most traveled avenues. Despite the city’s adaptation to the nightly scourge, specifics of what the creatures are, where they came from, and their intentions remain the stuff of rumors, with every Wiscrani having his own wildly varying theory. Most residents have accepted and adapted to the deadly curfew, which is frequently broken in the Spera and even more often on Westcrown Island, where few attacks take place. Dottari who catch residents out after curfew can enforce up to a 5 gp fine, but more commonly hurry such scofflaws along their way. Weekly, though, new tales arise of deadly attacks on curfew breakers, assuring that the
nightly ban is widely maintained. Several times a year the lord mayor makes a show of decrying the plague of mysterious hunters stalking the city’s streets, promising renewed efforts to put an end to the menace, but little has changed in the three decades since the creatures’
mysterious appearance.


Male Human(Minkakian) Martial Artist lvl 2 (Int +4) (AC17)

I am pleased to see this girl again but am confused by one statement. In labored common rich with accent I speak, "Uh, I not understanding what going on. It suppose to pribate right? Just you an me? Who are dese odders you speak of?" I wait for her to answer. Listening closely so as not to misunderstand anything she says. Just my luck, no pretty girl would be interested in me personally.


Evil GM

Turning onto the bustling side street heading West towards the tavern, there is a passing squad of dottari. The middle aged lieutenant halts his men, and points towards a shop that sells pyrahjes, man-sized torches. Three members of the squad enter the shop; they return a few minutes later carrying their torches.

John Deos make on perception check as you walk towards Vizio's Tavern.


Male Human Fighter(Tower Shield Specialist) 6/ Hellknight 2 +5 int, AC 26, Touch 12, FF 25, Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +5 HP66/82, Perception +12

Perception:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


Human, NPC
Kenji Masada wrote:
I am pleased to see this girl again but am confused by one statement. In labored common rich with accent I speak, "Uh, I not understanding what going on. It suppose to pribate right? Just you an me? Who are dese odders you speak of?" I wait for her to answer. Listening closely so as not to misunderstand anything she says. Just my luck, no pretty girl would be interested in me personally.

With a bright smile, "I've asked a few other 'new friends' to come, along with my um...bu..business partner. We can all break bread and chat...then. It's best if we wait till everyone present. You should be back before the sunset and the shadowy beast begin to roam. She pours a pitcher of stout and approaches the table. She does wink at you when she puts the pitcher on the table.


Evil GM
John Deos wrote:
Perception:1d20+5

You see a dwarf wearing scalemail and a bastard sword, walking the perimeter quite cautiously.

He seems to be staring at a strange man in oriental clothes that is walking into Vizio's Tavern. The dwarf takes a moment before he begins to walk toward the run-down store front.


Male Human(Minkakian) Martial Artist lvl 2 (Int +4) (AC17)

Just a quick note. Kenji is 19 years old. Quite young.

Pondering for a moment I ask. "Why so secret? Is somesing wrong? Dis prace aways has probrems but why you have to be attractive to get hep?" I lean back in the chair. "Ah you habe to do is ask for my hep and I hep. Do I did rike when you act ah cute an purrty."


Female Human Cleric/Holy Vindicator 7/6 Init +4 HP 93/93 AC 25 (touch 12 FF25) F14,R7,W18Per+19
baldwin the merciful wrote:


Andrea and Shinon you each turn into the ally heading towards the Western coast and the Vizio Tavern at the same time. There is a patrol of dottari walking by, as a young boy bumps into Andrea. "'cuse me, he sputters obviously in a hurry he quickly raises his palms upward to show nothing is in his hands. A look of panic on his face.

Everyone can make a knowledge local or Diplomacy DC10 check to learn more about Vizio's tavern.

Andrea looks down at the boy and his hands. Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5 Be more careful next time child. Others may not be as forgiving. Andrea has bobbed blonde hair and blue eyes and is clothed in a neat white and yellow robe.

Know:Local: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19 For The Knowledge Local roll


Female Human Cleric/Holy Vindicator 7/6 Init +4 HP 93/93 AC 25 (touch 12 FF25) F14,R7,W18Per+19
Shinon wrote:


A young child bumped into the girl and quickly excused himself, raising his hands quickly to show he was no thief. The child looked frightened, and Shinon stopped walking and knelt down, giving him an honest smile. "Hey, it's okay. No one's accusing you of anything. Accidents happen, and you apologized, so everything is alright. Here, take this," Shinon pressed 5 silvers into the boy's outstretched hand, "and go get yourself something to eat. And try to pay attention to where you're walking okay? You don't want to run into any Dottari! They cover their shins in that heavy metal armor! Ouch!"

Giving the child one more encouraging smile, he stood up and faced the woman. "Are you alright?" he asked, doing his best to seem pleasant. The last thing he needed was for this woman to get angry and smack this kid around while there were guardsmen so close.

Indeed I am, the child has done no harm, he just needs to slow down on these busy streets. Andrea nods towards the tavern were she is heading. Pardon me, I must meet someone. She wags her finger at the boy. Be sure to get home, the night is coming.


Human, NPC
Kenji Masada wrote:

Just a quick note. Kenji is 19 years old. Quite young.

Pondering for a moment I ask. "Why so secret? Is somesing wrong? Dis prace aways has probrems but why you have to be attractive to get hep?" I lean back in the chair. "Ah you habe to do is ask for my hep and I hep. Do I did rike when you act ah cute an purrty."

"I can assure you that I meant no disrespect, standing a bit taller now, "a little patience, please." She moves back towards the bar and disappears into the kitchen. A few moments later, she exits carrying a basket containing a hard crusty loaf of bread, and spiced honey.


Evil GM
Andrea1 wrote:
Shinon wrote:


A young child bumped into the girl and quickly excused himself, raising his hands quickly to show he was no thief. The child looked frightened, and Shinon stopped walking and knelt down, giving him an honest smile. "Hey, it's okay. No one's accusing you of anything. Accidents happen, and you apologized, so everything is alright. Here, take this," Shinon pressed 5 silvers into the boy's outstretched hand, "and go get yourself something to eat. And try to pay attention to where you're walking okay? You don't want to run into any Dottari! They cover their shins in that heavy metal armor! Ouch!"

Giving the child one more encouraging smile, he stood up and faced the woman. "Are you alright?" he asked, doing his best to seem pleasant. The last thing he needed was for this woman to get angry and smack this kid around while there were guardsmen so close.

Indeed I am, the child has done no harm, he just needs to slow down on these busy streets. Andrea nods towards the tavern were she is heading. Pardon me, I must meet someone. She wags her finger at the boy. Be sure to get home, the night is coming.

The young boy breathes a noticeable sigh of relief, "Me 'pologies again, turning towards Shinon quickly pocketing the silver inside his tunic, "Many blessin's to you. I'm late... then he takes three quick steps before he sprints off weaving in and out of people on the crowded streets. Clearly not running into anyone else.

Andrea:
You have learned that the Vizio's Tavern was recently sold to a human and a half-elf. However, they have not been in a hurry to get the tavern open for business during this busy time of the year. Some believe they are a bit foolhearty in not taking advantage of the high trade season.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3 HP 25/29, Initiative +5, AC 16, Touch 13, FF 13 CMD 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +2

Shinon smiled as the boy ran off and turned to nod to the human woman. "Very well. Strength be with you in your travels," he said, giving her a nod. After the woman moved into the tavern, Shinon took a deep breath. He had to prepare himself, in case this turned into a brawl.

Shinon secured his bow. No need to use it in such tight quarters. Shinon's skill with a bow was exceptional, but he was still not quite ready to start shooting at targets who were within reach of innocent people. Not yet. He drew his longsword and examined it in the midday sunlight. Not a particularly well-crafted blade, but it would have to do. If this woman decided to make trouble for him, Shinon would have to resort to a little non-lethal intimidation to get her off his case.

He didn't really understand what she wanted though. This woman was a guard, right? So why wasn't she arresting him? The guards were all in the pockets of the nobles, and the nobles craved order over justice above all else. In a lawful society like this one, everything had to be ordained and controlled by the state, not by its people. A vigilante was seen as a criminal of the worst kind. But she had said...what was it now? "We have much in common"?

Shinon frowned and sheathed the blade, his gaze drifting towards the inn. What was waiting for him inside? Was this woman an assassin, trying to drop his guard, or a fellow warrior of justice who wanted to work with him to try and solve the problems of this city?

"Heh. Maybe she's an admirer, and she's fallen in love with me because of my sense of duty and justice to the innocent," Shinon joked out loud, though as he said the words, he felt his cheeks redden and his heart skip a beat. The woman was attractive. No doubt about that. Still, it was pointless to fool himself with such notions. With a quick breath and a firm nod, he regained his composure.

Shinon walked to the door and entered the inn, looking around at the clientele for his mark.


Male Dwarf Expert 1/Inquisitor 4 (Witchunter) Int+4, F6, R1, W4, +4 vs Spells/PoisonAC19/T12/FF17, HP46/4663/67 when raging

Diplomacy1d20 - 2 ⇒ (1) - 2 = -1


Evil GM
Duncan Redhammer wrote:
Diplomacy1d20-2

Several commoners that you approach attempting to gather information, scrunched up faces, and begin to frown at you. It is apparent they could not understand the mumbled jargon the dwarf calls common. Then, again, it could have been the tone and manner in which the questions were asked.


Human, NPC

"Welcome...welcome..." exclaims the sultry voice, "Have a seat as I fill some pitchers of mead and stout for you. Oh...and you have to try the bread." Waving to everyone to sit down as she pours three pitchers of beer and four more tankards.

"We are waiting on two more to arrive and my...business partner. Feel free to chat." As she hurries back to the kitchen.

I believe Andrea, Shinon and Kenji are inside. John is outside but nearby and Duncan is looking at the front door. For the newcomers in the bar, the description is in a previous posting.

Kenji:
You notice that Janiven is a bit more nervous now.


Male Human(Minkakian) Martial Artist lvl 2 (Int +4) (AC17)

I take a few deep breaths and consider my words carefully. In the past I have made more than a few enemies by talking too much or lacking respectful tact. Once the food is brought out I speak. "I Kenji Masada. I apologize for being so rude. I not used to customs just yet. May I know your name miss?"


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3 HP 25/29, Initiative +5, AC 16, Touch 13, FF 13 CMD 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +2

Shinon politely pushed one of the tankards away. "I don't drink. If you're feeling particularly hospitable, a glass of cool water will be enough to quench my thirst, thank you." Shinon's eyes were on the woman like a hawk. So what he had heard from the outside was true. A guard who had bought the tavern...along with some "business partner". What was going on here? And who were these people?

Shinon glancedt to his left. Two others were sitting at the bar, paying attention to Janiven and receiving free drinks as well, and she was collectively speaking to them. These two were both human, one of them the female that Shinon had ran into outside, and the other a young male, younger than Shinon, with a strange accent.

Shinon did not speak to either of them. This was bad. It looked like "trap" and "ambush" were becoming more and more likely scenarios. As the minutes dragged on, Shinon became more and more aware of how surrounded he was. There were patrons in the tavern, as well as these other two people, and Janiven herself. He started to feel sick with fear and felt his stomach physically lurch. Shinon grabbed at his side, where the poisoned blade had pierced his skin, and fought for control of himself, but his paranoia and anger were growing by the second.


Human, NPC

As the lady returns carrying baskets of warm crusty bread, and spiced honey, she comments "Why, yes. So rude of me. I am Javiven and my business partner is Arael, we are the proprietors of this establishment. Arael should be along any moment now." She looks around the room when she mentions her Arael's name and her eyes fall on the closed front door.

One obvious item that all realize is there are no other patrons at the bar, and this is looking more and more like a small private meeting.

She returns with a cool tankard of water for Shinon and smiles politely.


Male Half-Elf Urban Ranger 3 HP 25/29, Initiative +5, AC 16, Touch 13, FF 13 CMD 16 Fort +4 Ref +6 Will +2

Shinon looked up at her, then down at the water. "Nah. Whatever her story is, she's a guard. She's respected. She still carries a sword. If she was going to kill me, she'd do it in a fair fight, not with poisoned water."

Shinon took a small breath and forced his heart to slow down. As he took a cautious sip of water, he noticed that the room around them was much emptier than he first thought, and other than the woman and her three guests, there actually didn't seem to be that many people left. Any people, period. Shinon looked around and saw no one else in the bar. He felt himself calm down and nodded. Even if this was a trap, there was no one to get in his way, and he had plenty of room to maneuver, hide, and shoot if necessary.

Shinon set the tankard down and his eyes flew up Janiven's body, a little more obviously than he'd intended, before they settled on her eyes. Shinon was not smiling.


Human, NPC

Janiven looks up at the each of the invited guests, "In a few minutes, I will discuss why we have asked each of you to be present. This is a meeting ...of very a delicate nature. It is important for the citizens of Westcrown." Her large brown eyes catch each of you. Come on Arael where are you. You are rarely ever late. Glancing back over to the front door. She gestures for everyone to eat a bit.


Female Human Cleric/Holy Vindicator 7/6 Init +4 HP 93/93 AC 25 (touch 12 FF25) F14,R7,W18Per+19

Andrea's eyes light up at the bread and spiced honey and the beverages. My Thanks. Andrea moves her lips in a silent prayer before eating the bread and honey with relish, washing it down with ale. After breaking bread. she turns to their hostess. A pleasure to meet you, no doubt you already know my name, amongst other things.. Andrea lets that trail off a bit before turning to the others. Greetings to you all as well, I am Andrea.


Male Human Fighter(Tower Shield Specialist) 6/ Hellknight 2 +5 int, AC 26, Touch 12, FF 25, Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +5 HP66/82, Perception +12

John enters the Tavern and notices it is fairly empty except for a few people and Janiven.


Human, NPC

"Welcome John and have a seat, there are tankards and pitchers on the table, let me go and bring out lamb," she rushes back into the kitchen and returns about 10 minutes later carrying heaping plates of roast lamb, potatoes and wedges of tomatoes and sweet carrots. She sets the plates down on the largest table. She, also, places places 7 plates and utensils."Come come eat,

A dwarf enters, Duncan Redhammer, and she motions him to table with the food and pours him a hearty chocately stout beer. She looks nervously at the door, where are you Arael? Breathing out a nervous sigh of despair as she goes and bolts the front doors shut. Making sure both the top and bottom iron pins are lodged into the frame and floor.


Male Dwarf Expert 1/Inquisitor 4 (Witchunter) Int+4, F6, R1, W4, +4 vs Spells/PoisonAC19/T12/FF17, HP46/4663/67 when raging

The woman was quick and to the point about this meeting. Marvellous, the was no race, who could get past small pleasentries faster than humans. His curiosity peaked and never one to turn away a meal, he dug in.


Human, NPC

"Tis true, and a bit unfair, that I know each of your names and yes, we have inquired about you," pausing to see the reactions. "Rest assured that it has not been for any malicious or foul purpose but rather out of the need for secrecy,"looking John in the eyes, "many a life depends on what I'm about to reveal.'Wishing Arael ws present to give the speech. Sure, she has heard it many times before with the other recruits but she has never had to present the offer by herself. Where are you Arael.

Taking her time, she takes a big gulp of mead and then eats a bit of the lamb. Chewing, slowly, gathering her wits.


Male Human Fighter(Tower Shield Specialist) 6/ Hellknight 2 +5 int, AC 26, Touch 12, FF 25, Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +5 HP66/82, Perception +12

"Does this have to do with the disappearances that have been occurring?"John asks Janiven.


Human, NPC

She begins after taking one last look at the locked front door. “On behalf of my partner, Arael and myself, we would thank you for coming here, her look is sincere. I have chosen each of you for a singular reason—everyone here, myself included, has suffered, whether we realize it or not. I have lived in Westcrown my whole life, and although I love this city, I must admit, as must you, that despite our peace and prosperity, we continue to suffer. Fear should not be
an expected part of life, and yet each night brings fear to our doorsteps.
She pauses and takes a long swallow of beer, then refills her tankard.

Continuing, "Yes, Westcrown has been safe from war and famine for nearly seventy years, and yes, our businesses has prospered—but this safety and prosperity has been bought in the coinage of fear and prayers to Hell. However, Other lands live free from tyranny. Other cities do not fear the night. Looking around the table meetin each person's gaze.

"What has the cost been? Is it right that our government cede the streets to monsters of the infernal shadows at night? Other governments do not do this for peace! Westcrown was once such a place, and she wants to be such a place again. Westcrown is not only her buildings and canals and docks and history—she is also her people. Westcrown is our friends and neighbors, our mothers and fathers, our siblings and cousins, our sons and daughters! Tears welling in her large brown eyes the passion resonates in her voice.

"With but a small group of supporters and dedicated brothers and sisters, we can earn the trust and admiration of those people. A Westcrown free of these shadowy beasts that stalk our streets is one step closer to a Westcrown free of the devil that is the Thrice-Damned House of Thrune!”

"Yes John, it has everything to do with the disappearing folks. That is just not a proper thing...taking people with no explanation from their families and homes."


Male Human(Minkakian) Martial Artist lvl 2 (Int +4) (AC17)

I notice all the "patrons" Janiven mentioned have arrive. Curious by her rather akward behavior, I inquire. "Something wrong? You very unhappy. What wrong?"

Dang! Got ninja'd real bad. Still, I want an answer to the question


Evil GM

Everyone can make a sense motive check if they want


Human, NPC
Kenji Masada wrote:

I notice all the "patrons" Janiven mentioned have arrive. Curious by her rather akward behavior, I inquire. "Something wrong? You very unhappy. What wrong?"

Dang! Got ninja'd real bad. Still, I want an answer to the question

Looking thoughtfully at Kenji,"My business partner is late, that is very rare indeed. That has me on edge," she reples to Kenji.

1 to 50 of 26,346 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Gamethread : CoT All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.