Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game


Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


14,251 to 14,299 of 14,299 << first < prev | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | next > last >>

The wall of fire snuffs out almost as quickly as it arrived. Enga hurls herself at the forge-fiend. Its belly-jaws snap at her as she charges and rams her spearpoint into its metal-and-stone body.

Enga provokes an AoO by charging.
1d20 + 17 ⇒ (3) + 17 = 20 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (1, 3) + 7 = 11. If that hits (I suspect it does) Enga also must make a DC 22 Reflex save or the forge-fiend gets a chance to sunder her armour. If she fails, the damage from the bite also applies to Enga's armour. It ignores Her armour's Hardness (12, in case you were wondering) as its bite counts as adamantine, and her armour has 30hp. If the damage is more than half the hp of her armour, it counts as Broken (half its normal AC bonus and double the armour check penalty).

As an aside, I noticed that Enga's AC should be 1 more than it is - I converted her from 3.5e and didn't increase the AC value of her breastplate in line with PF values.

Illes.

Map updated.


Initiative
Initiative
Camlo 30
Sefayll 13
Hudak 10
Demiarchos 10-
Alwyn 7
Enga 5+
Illes 3
Scanderig -2


Hp max: 107 (143 rage); Damage taken: 97; Rage remaining: 12 rounds

Ref: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10

"Arrgghh! Stupid ugly thing, chewing my armour! You leave that alone!"


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 11

Yay 20! Boooh forgefiend! Man, I hate that thing. Just out of curiosity, does it have Regeneration?


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

I bet it does. This thing is super annoying. Apparently someone has statted up a mythic version ... I shudder to think.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Expert 5

It needs Energy Drain and some sort of "striking this monster damages you" effect, preferably combined with poison - it is covered in envenomed spikes, or something like that. The poison should be corrosive and damage weapons, too.

GAAAAAAHHHH! Damned Rob Kuntz-ian monster!


HP 77/78, AC 21, T 13, FF 19, CMD 19(20) Performance 37/31

Illes runs into the next room as a blur and begins a sonic assault on the scanderig's mind and senses. Bestial screeches, the intensified sound of a forge, amplified church bells and a mourner's wailing hammer into the elemental from all sides at a punishing volume.

Free: Maintain Inspire Courage +4/+4
Haste Rd 2/11
MA: X21
SA: Cast Cacophonous Call Will DC 21

Caster Level Check for SR: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27


Scanderig Will save 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

Now there's a bit of luck.

The scanderig shudders as Illes' spell hits it. However, nausea for a creature that eats rock and metal is dangerous for anyone nearby.

OK, not strictly in the rules - well, not at all in the rules - but for this round he gets to use his searing spew since, well, I guess that's what a nauseated scanderig would do.

Enga, 14d6 ⇒ (5, 4, 4, 1, 5, 3, 6, 6, 6, 2, 2, 3, 1, 6) = 54 fire damage. DC 22 Reflex save for half damage.

Then it's Camlo.

Map updated.


Hp max: 107 (143 rage); Damage taken: 97; Rage remaining: 12 rounds

Oh, you are evil. Evil!

reflex save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13


Hp max: 107 (143 rage); Damage taken: 97; Rage remaining: 12 rounds

Uh oh...

Enga screams, more in anger than pain, as the scales and flesh are melted from her bones and she is reduced to a blackened smouldering heap on the ground.

Alas poor Enga...


Male Halfling Rogue/11 AC:23 HP: 92{92} Dravite

Camlo moves into the next room,

Double move to T20

Oh no, poor Enga....


Eh, such is the fate of the disposable NPC. You'll go back upstairs, Illes can cast Break Enchantment on Elisile, and no one will even remember Enga in a couple of days. Harsh, but true...

On the other hand, if Mothy had actually updated her hp I might not have done that. (EDIT - oh look, he did.) Still, it's a moderately epic way to go - killed by molten barf. It's what Enga would have wanted - sort of.


Enchantress 8/Oracle (flame) 1/Hellknight Signifier 2; AC 20, FF 18, T 13, CMD 18; F 8, R 8, W 13; hp 72/72; Init +3; Perc +5; Effects: Mage Armor, Cold Resistance 10

Poor Enga. I had such great plans for her, catching rats in Magnimar.


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

Sefayll is up.


Enchantress 8/Oracle (flame) 1/Hellknight Signifier 2; AC 20, FF 18, T 13, CMD 18; F 8, R 8, W 13; hp 72/72; Init +3; Perc +5; Effects: Mage Armor, Cold Resistance 10

Oops, sorry. Say, are Sefayll and Camlo also hasted? I was thinking one or both of us was out of range... Without haste, she double-moves to U20. With haste, same movement and cast confusion, Will DC 22 negates.

vs Spell Resistance, if necessary: 1d20 + 10 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 10 + 2 = 30 CL 10, Spell Penetration feat

Edit: Found it. She is not hasted, so no spell cast this round.


Male Human (Shoanti) Fighter 11

Hudak moves to L-M 20-21 and drinks a potion of CSW. He regains 3d8 + 5 ⇒ (2, 8, 7) + 5 = 22 hit points.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 11

Demiarchos moves to V-W 23-24 and takes a bite out of the forgefiend.

Attack roll: 1d20 + 20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 20 + 4 + 1 = 38 damage: 2d6 + 16 ⇒ (2, 3) + 16 = 21

Attack roll includes Haste and bard bonuses, damage includes bard bonus (I also dropped the fire damage).


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 11

Alwyn moves to T26 and engages the forgefiend. I'm using Vital Strike and Power Attack. Attack roll 12+10+4+1=AC 27, damage 4d6+11+4=29. The forgefiend is also the target of mt Ring of foe focus.

Illes!


Demiarchos clamps his jaws on the scanderig and Alwyn closes on it, greatsword swinging. His mighty blow causes the foul fiend to shatter, its molten insides forming a pool which the Gorumite has to jump back to avoid.

End of combat. 3,733xp each.

"Ha!" booms Demiarchos. "A great fight!" he looks at the burnt remains of Enga. "A shame about the small one. But I am sure the Lord or Battle will look kindly upon her soul in the Great Beyond."

The zombies and the scandrig don't have any treasure (although the scanderig emerged from a corridor, so it might have some in a lair down there). The Headless Lord has a couple of nice (though Large sized) hatchets and plate mail.


Enchantress 8/Oracle (flame) 1/Hellknight Signifier 2; AC 20, FF 18, T 13, CMD 18; F 8, R 8, W 13; hp 72/72; Init +3; Perc +5; Effects: Mage Armor, Cold Resistance 10

Sefayll walks over the remains of the kobold and nudges it with the toe of her boot. After a moment, she turns away without making a comment about the small one's demise.

She looks at Alwyn, "I have some modest healing available, if it would be of any use."


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

Sorry to kill your henchman Sefayll – I wasn’t expecting Enga to get vomited to death. Nasty piece of work that scanderig. If Enga was still alive she’d dance on its corpse, but no doubt its body would turn to lava or something and burn her up.

Now quick, go and break enchantment on Elisile and we’ll continue on.


HP 77/78, AC 21, T 13, FF 19, CMD 19(20) Performance 37/31

It isn't so certain we get Elisile back. I can only try once today and it is probably near a 50/50 chance of working.
Break Enchantment CL Check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (18) + 11 = 29
Okay, that's looking pretty damn good. Welcome back long ears!


HP 77/78, AC 21, T 13, FF 19, CMD 19(20) Performance 37/31

Illes looks mortified at Enga's fate while circling the reamins. "I... I didn't know that could happen. I've never heard of anything like this before... She was a murderous little beast, but hell, she was our murderous little beast. She deserved better than that." He shakes his head and offers a little prayer to Desna that she find her way in the next world.

"I have an idea though. There is a Varisian counter song that the elders use to guard against witches charms and curses. I mean, its a very different thing, but I want to try it on Elisile before we move on. It might work. If Desna smiles."


The group troop back up the ramp to where they stashed Elisile's petrified body. Illes tries out his spell, and to everyone's delight Elisile is returned to her normal fleshy self.

Not that I'm saying that Elisile is, y'know, fat or anything...


Elisile Starbrow wrote:
Sorry to kill your henchman Sefayll

Well, I'm glad to see that Sef took it in true hellknight fashion: another dead expendable henchperson <shrug>.


Male Halfling Rogue/11 AC:23 HP: 92{92} Dravite

Camlo is brought near to tears by Engas fate. He takes a few minutes to compose himself while they walk back up. He's pretty much a gibbering wreak by the time Illes starts muttering his spell, but when Elisile comes back to wakefulness, he throws himself at her leg and hugs it like some sort of lost puppy.


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

Thanks Illes!

Does this petrification effect make my butt look big?

As Illes’ spell reverses the scanderig’s petrification, Elisile completes the scream she had begun when turned to stone, whirls and almost falls. After a moment of disorientation she seems to understand the situation, and bows her head in thanks to Illes, patting Camlo absently on the head as the halfling hugs her leg.

“Thankyou Illes Elandru,” she says. “For how long was I out? Did you defeat the creature that did this to me?” She looks about. “Where is the kobold?”


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

Practicality-wise (if not sentiment-wise) it may be worth looting Enga’s corpse before we move on. I’d say Hudak needs some more healing too, that potion of CSW only puts him on about 33 hp I think. Several other party members are also at least somewhat injured.

So it looks like there are two other exits from the chamber the zombies were guarding. Should we check out the scanderig’s tunnel first (I assume it is the narrower one)?


Enchantress 8/Oracle (flame) 1/Hellknight Signifier 2; AC 20, FF 18, T 13, CMD 18; F 8, R 8, W 13; hp 72/72; Init +3; Perc +5; Effects: Mage Armor, Cold Resistance 10
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
Elisile Starbrow wrote:
Sorry to kill your henchman Sefayll
Well, I'm glad to see that Sef took it in true hellknight fashion: another dead expendable henchperson <shrug>.

Heh. Well, I did enspell her to avoid having to fight her. Getting her to fight for us was a great side effect.


Enchantress 8/Oracle (flame) 1/Hellknight Signifier 2; AC 20, FF 18, T 13, CMD 18; F 8, R 8, W 13; hp 72/72; Init +3; Perc +5; Effects: Mage Armor, Cold Resistance 10

In something of a monotone, Sefayll replies, "The forge-fiend is no more, but not before killing Enga."

After a pause, she offers a handshake, "It is good to have you back with us."

My healing consists of two more CLW I can cast today, but I would rather put them to use than not.

Cure Light Wounds 2x on Hudak: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (8, 7) + 2 = 17


I assume you head back down to the room again. Going in the scanderig tunnel first, as suggested?


Male Halfling Rogue/11 AC:23 HP: 92{92} Dravite

Sounds fine to me.


Enchantress 8/Oracle (flame) 1/Hellknight Signifier 2; AC 20, FF 18, T 13, CMD 18; F 8, R 8, W 13; hp 72/72; Init +3; Perc +5; Effects: Mage Armor, Cold Resistance 10

Agreed.


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

Before heading on, Elisile will use her pearl of power to recall gravity bow. She’ll scout a short distance ahead down the scanderig passage, and search as she goes.

Stealth: 1d20 + 23 ⇒ (15) + 23 = 38
Perception: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (11) + 18 = 29


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 11

"Well, Enga died a good death, doing what she loved. We should all be so lucky." Alwyn nods at Elisile. "Lead the way."

Also, I scratched 14 charges off my CLW wand to get Hudak back to full hp.


The tunnel leads to a plain and fairly featureless 20' by 20' room that was, presumably, the lair of the scanderig. It is shaped almost like a silo — its ceiling arches up to a vaulted height of one hundred feet. The room itself appears to be empty. Another tunnel leads off north, which rejoins the main tunnel as it veers to the north-east before opening to a wide corridor.

This long hallway has a looming ceiling forty feet above and is decorated with an intricate display of stone supports and beams. The walls are carved in long swaths of densely scribed runes — the seven-pointed star is repeated often. To the east, the hallway has caved in entirely — a battered door protrudes from the rubble, but the hall beyond is completely filled with rubble. To the west, the hall ends at an immense bronze double door that bears a huge mirror-like silver inlay of the ubiquitous seven-pointed star. This bronze double door has no obvious hinges, handles, or locks, save for a single tiny star-shaped indention at the center of the larger mirrored star. Double-doors also lead north and south.

See the map, which I have updated to show you this hallway and its features.


Enchantress 8/Oracle (flame) 1/Hellknight Signifier 2; AC 20, FF 18, T 13, CMD 18; F 8, R 8, W 13; hp 72/72; Init +3; Perc +5; Effects: Mage Armor, Cold Resistance 10

Are all of the black areas signifying cave-ins, then?


Correct.


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

The star shaped hole in the bronze doors looks like a keyhole; have we picked up any small, star shaped rods that could be the key? If not, maybe come back to that one and try the north double doors.

Elisile will listen at the doors, then assist Camlo in searching for traps.

Perception, listen: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (8) + 18 = 26

Perception, aid another in trap detection: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (3) + 18 = 21


You haven't picked up any keys of the sort you describe.

Elisile's ears detect nothing but silence from the northern double doors.


HP 77/78, AC 21, T 13, FF 19, CMD 19(20) Performance 37/31

We picked up a small halfling shaped multi-key a while back.


Male Halfling Rogue/11 AC:23 HP: 92{92} Dravite

"Ohhhhh, that looks interesting! You don't happen to have a ring that would fit it, or a necklace or anything? I could happily while away a few hours playing with that lock. If it weren't for the feeling of impending doom and the giants that I fear will bring it!"


HP 77/78, AC 21, T 13, FF 19, CMD 19(20) Performance 37/31

"These don't look like a sign to you? Massive bronze double doors with a mirrored inlay of the Sihedron rune? See anything else that looks like Mokmurian's lair around here?" Illes hisses quietly, "We can search those other couple rooms first if you guys want, but I'm betting we'll be back here in about ten minutes."


Male Halfling Rogue/11 AC:23 HP: 92{92} Dravite

"Ok, you lot keep a look out." Camlo says as he moves closer to the doors to have a look.

Perception: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32
Disable Device to open the lock if it's not actually open....: 1d20 + 28 ⇒ (12) + 28 = 40


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

“Oh, I suspect you are right,” Elisile agrees with Illes. “It also looks to me like a door that might bear a trap, and I hope – however small the chance – that we might find a key somewhere about.”


HP 77/78, AC 21, T 13, FF 19, CMD 19(20) Performance 37/31

Elisile aids on the Trap Perception.
Illes will inspire competence for +4 on both rolls.
So 38 Trap checking
44 Disable Device


HP 77/78, AC 21, T 13, FF 19, CMD 19(20) Performance 37/31

I'm not actually saying we need to go for the door right now personally. The trap could be insane and there might be something to help us in the last 2 rooms. On the other hand we are burning significant resources in every room right now. The Die has been cast, but if you all disagree on barging in now post it quickly.
Also we might buff a little if we decided to go in now. Not fully, but anything longer lasting.


hp 87 of 87; effects active: mage armour (AC 20); gravity bow Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 4

I’m fine to try it, just concerned about possible traps on this door. Does Camlo get a further bonus to Disable Device if he is disarming a trap?

Buffing is probably a good idea. I’ll cast something, but don’t have time to check spell durations to decide on the right one(s) at this point.


Male Halfling Rogue/11 AC:23 HP: 92{92} Dravite

Oh, it's +5 vs traps too, so up to 43....

14,251 to 14,299 of 14,299 << first < prev | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | 284 | 285 | 286 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.