Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


10,401 to 10,450 of 12,319 << first < prev | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | next > last >>

1 person marked this as a favorite.

Scryers:

Spoiler:
Hudak ties a rope about himself and hands the other end to his brother. He walks to the edge and peers down the hundred feet to where the sea slaps the stone. He rubs his hand over his bald head for luck, then turns and begins his descent.

Given its age, the stonework is in remarkably good shape, but it is still cracks and pitted enough for handholds, though slippery with moisture and bird droppings. There are few niches with the broken, barely recognisable remains of statuary. Hudak clings to the masonry, looking for possible routes inside the broken black monolith. As he heads lower, he heads closer to the large graven figure that gives the pier its nickname: the eroded figure of a woman, fifty feet high.

Climb and Perception checks from Hudak.


Camlo:

Spoiler:
The Mark gazes coolly at the woman. "You forget yourself. You have been useful, but here it is my law, not yours."

"Vendetta demands!" she shouts back. "He and his friends killed my family! Their souls must be avenged!"

Karlissa whispers something in the Mark's ear, and he smiles and nods to his men. Several grab the woman and hold her tightly. "Here, only what I desire matters. The souls of your dead brothers interest me not at all. They can rot in whatever place they have passed on to for all I care. I will deal with your insolence later." The woman is dragged from the room, hurling insults in Varisian as she goes.

The Black Mark turns back to Camlo. "So, it is decided. The night creatures." The men holding Camlo suddenly let him go and they step back.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
As Heathy's away...
Climb 10+15=25, plus whatever bonus he gets from us anchoring his rope
Perception 12+0=12


Scryers:

Spoiler:
Hudak leaps nimbly down the face of the piling, looking for some sort of entrance to the structure. He reaches the top of the statue, rapelling down until he is standing on top of the Maiden's white-streaked head. He looks around, assessing his next move.

Nothing found yet. More Climb and Perception checks. Also, anyone want to assist him? Perception isn't Hudak's strong point.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Aubs:
Camlo Gulps...

Hmm, aparently the campaigns page has been lying to me and not telling me where new threads are for the last few days... Grr....


It does that - very annoying.


Camlo:

Spoiler:
The ground suddenly drops away beneath Camlo's feet.

Reflex save.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Aubs:
Reflex: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (13) + 13 = 26 If that counts as a trap, add another +2. Also Evasion!


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
New checks from Hudak: Climb 8+15=23, Perception 12+0=12.

"Uh... Hold onto this rope really tightly, OK?" Alwyn climbs down the pylon very carefully

Yay! Climbing in full plate! Climb 13-2=11, Perception 11+13=24. Good base for some Aid Anothers...


Effects:

Scrying:
Would that aid be via strength checks or climb checks?


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Scryers:

Spoiler:
"I'm climbing this hog pretty good. I just.....can't seem to see nothing interesting. You guys got a bird's eye view up there; can you help me out at all? You see anything I'm missing?"


Scryers:

Spoiler:
Hudak can Aid with Perception, Alwyn can Aid with Climb.

Alwyn gingerly descends the rope himself, his armour clanking against the stonework. Hudak scrambles monkey-like next to him.


Camlo:

Spoiler:
Camlo springs aside as the trapdoor gapes beneath him. The Mark's dwarven bodyguard rushes up and tries to shove Camlo in.

Bull Rush: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (17) + 20 = 37 v Camlo's CMD.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Spoiler:
CMD 20 Camlo roles to one side avoiding the trap door, stands, and sees a dwarf comeing right at him "Cheat!" is about all he can scream before he gats hit by the dwarf and falls into the hole...


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
Aid Another for Climb 7-2=5. Nope...


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Scryers:

Spoiler:
aid Alwyn with perception doesn't make sense; I suck. However, if that's what we need, just don't add anything to my roll. 15's my climb bonus.

1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Scryers:

Spoiler:

The Hellknight teleports in and Illes offers her a wide and completely fake smile. "Ah so glad you made it after all. Wouldn't have been a party without you" while wondering if she would be able to fly if he just shoved her right off the pylon. Ah but then who would you have left to work into getting these b+#$@%%* charges dropped? Better to keep that tool in your belt rather than throw it in the garbage. Illes twists one tip of his mustache idly regarding her while the others break out climbing kits. "Alright. We better get in there before the slip bites it. Come on Hudak! Kick that door in and lets get busy!" When Hudak calls up that he can't see any entrance and asks the others to take a look, Illes helps steady Alwyn's rope and begins scanning the pylon for any cleverly disguised entry point.

The bard sings a low song and points to his companions in turn setting up a whisper chain between them then quietly sends a whisper along that path, "Better if we aren't out here shouting like a bunch of goons while we try to break in."

Perception Aid 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17
Climb Aid for Alwyn by securing his rope 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Cast Message: 90 min duration
If Alwyn is within 30 ft I will use Inspire Competence to give him a +3 perception competence bonus for one round.


Scryers:

Spoiler:
Alwyn, swinging from the rope, considers the eroded statue before him. The face is smoothed away but still recognisable as that of a woman, though millenia of nesting seabirds have left their white streaky marks upon it. He sees nothing immediately and his gaze moves on, but something draws his eye back. Perhaps it is Hudak's enthusiastic insistence that there must be a way in - somewhere, somehow. Perhaps it is Illes' helpful suggestions or the little ditty the bard is humming which focusses Alwyn's mind.

The face of the statue is turned to one side, looking towards land. The statue's ear is several feet high, cracked and mossy, but Alwyn suddenly notices that it must have been very detailed when first carved. Indeed, the entrance to the ear canal, big enough to shove a fist into, disappears into the the side of the statues head. This could just be attention to detail, but on something that could only ordinarily be seen from over a hundred feet away...?

Alwyn gingerly shoves his hand into the hole, through a slimy and stinking plug of guano. He finds no other resistance, and he continues until his arm is up to the elbow. Then he feels some sort or metal lever or bar inside. He grips it, pulls and twists experimentally.

There is a grinding noise, and a long-concealed stone hatch, perhaps two feet wide, opens in the side of the piling. It hinges from the top, with a gap or chute leading up at a steep angle from the bottom into the dark interior of the piling. Heavily-corroded bars block the entrance.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
"And that is why one should always wear armoured gauntlets everywhere." Alwyn shakes ancient gunge off his hand as the stone block slides aside. "Hudak, if you would please tear these iron bars out of their fastenings?"

Aid Another STR check for Hudak 11+3=14. Don't forget I cast Bull's strength on him before we teleported in.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

scryers

Spoiler:

Strength check 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 6 + 2 = 26
+6 for 22 str +2 for the bovine steroid spell

"Damn I'm a strappin lad."


Scryers:

Spoiler:
Hudak and Alwyn break the bars away easily. The chute leads up at a forty-five degree angle in the dark.

It'll be Climb checks to get up there.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
"This might get interesting." Alwyn looks up the passage. "With an angle like this, climbing will be tricky. You go first; the rest of us will catch you if you slide down."

He waves to the guys on top of the plinth. "We've found a way in. Looks like the toilet drainage chute. Do any of you know anything about climbing?"


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Scryers:
"Climbing? Erm... can't say it's one of my strong suits," the mage leans over the edge to look down at his rappelling companions. "Though I'm reluctant to use up my flight scroll so early in the day." By viewing the climb, can I get an estimate of its difficulty? Vethran has a whopping +1 Climb, which would become +3 with the climbing kit in place. Illes could boost that to a +6 total with inspire competence if needed, and maybe another +2 for aid another.


Scryers:

Spoiler:
A reasonably competent climber could go in first and drop a rope - the DC for a free climb isn't massive but there's scope for failure for the less athletically endowed. It's a steep angle but it's also a narrow space, so you can brace off the walls. For those on the top of the plinth it's two climbs, effectively - down to the opening, and then up the chute. With the benefit of ropes, those would be two DC 5 Climb checks.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Scryers:
"If either of you can get in to drop a rope, I feel confident enough to attempt the climb, perhaps with a bit of help from my dear cousin's music," the mage smiles to Illes.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
Hudak's a very competent climber, so I guess we have a plan. Hudak first, then everybody else. I probably have the worst Climb skill, so you haul me up last.

"Nice. Hey, if I could climb down here in my platemail, you should be able to do it too. How about you, Chelaxian?"


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Scryers:

Spoiler:
"I got ya, Veth. Let them get the rope set up and I'll make sure you make it alright."

If you can take 10 on the climb checks you won't even need help. Happy to use inspire competence on anyone who needs it though. Let me know.


Camlo:

Spoiler:
Camlo drops through the hole in the floor. The drop is about twenty feet and he lands in a bare-walled, square chamber.

Acrobatics check to minimise the damage.


Effects:

Alwyn:
In your head, you hear a cool voice. "I'm not from Cheliax. And I will be fine, thanks for asking."


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Scryers:

Spoiler:
"I'm on it."

Climb
1d20 + 15 ⇒ (7) + 15 = 22


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Aubs:

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 20 ⇒ (11) + 20 = 31
Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (16) + 13 = 29

Sorry for the delay, I'm without a laptop again, so I can only really get at stuff in work time....


Scryers:

Spoiler:
Hudak scrambles up the shaft. It goes on for about twenty feet before he reaches the end. He flops into an unlit room, only dimly illuminated by the light coming up the shaft from outside, but it looks like a long-abandoned kitchen.


Camlo:

Spoiler:
OK, no damage.

Camlo picks himself up. There doesn't seem to be any entrance or exit other than the shaft he fell through. The room is perhaps thirty feet square, the walls plain black stone, the only light coming from the hole in the ceiling. But as Camlo look saround, the shadows seem to noticably darken in the corners of the room.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Spoiler:
"Great. An oubliette. A halfling, in an oubliette. " Camlo mutters to himself, tring to pull the concealed dagger he hopes he still has about his person....


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Scryers:

Spoiler:
drawing sword; waiting for more to join me.
Looking around for trouble.

perception
1d20 ⇒ 3


Scryers:

Spoiler:
Hudak drops a rope out of the shaft. It is now a case of climbing down one rope from the top and climbing up the other after Hudak.

You can take 10 on this and the DC is 5. Once you have completed it, you are inside the room as described above.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
Nice. Even I can pull that off.

Alwyn crawls up the hatch and looks around. "Nice. It doesn't look like anyone's been here in a while. We might actually be able to pull off a surprise raid."

He pulls his sword out of its back sheath. "Speaking of which - to maintain the element of surprise, we need to be utterly ruthless. Everyone here is an associate of the crimelord that has Camlo. Nobody gets to raise the alarm - we find them, kill them and then keep moving."


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

scryers:

Spoiler:
"Good."


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Scryers:
Once inside the chamber, Vethran draws his dagger and whispers a few arcane words that cause the blade to burst into light. (casting light) Holding it aloft as a torch, he simply nods to the others.

"We know this crimelord has at least one mage in his employ. Be cautious, there might be more."

After his warning, the mage enacts another enchantment upon himself, causing his eyes to flash blue for a moment. (see invisibility active for 90 minutes)


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
This is also when I cast [i]Protection from evil on Hudak.[/ooc]

"Let's head out and wipe out some kitchen staffers." He gives his sword a twirl and heads towards the exit.


Effects:

TeamScry:
The female Hellknight offers to allow the bard to go first, but does not argue if he waves her on. Shortly, she is in the kitchen with the others. She nods in agreement at the cleric's assessment and follows Vethran's lead, casting Light on her halberd.


Scryers:

Spoiler:
There is a single exit from the room, leading along a dark corridor. Ahead, there is light and the sound of people - a woman yelling curses in Varisian, followed by loud slap.


Camlo:

Spoiler:
There is a grinding rumble and the ceiling of the chamber begins to move back, forming a sort of amphitheatre. The Mark and his associates peer down expectantly at Camlo, laughing and joking. Down in the pit, the shadows begin to take on shape. There is a low growl and snuffling, like some beast is sniffing the air.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Aubs:
Does Camlo still have the dagger? Knowledge Dungeoneering: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31 Any idea what the shadow things are?


Camlo:

Spoiler:
You still have your dagger.

Camlo isn't sure what the shadow things are, half-formed as they are. But the dog-like growling and snuffling makes him wonder about beasts known as shadow mastiffs.


Effects:

scryers:
I am unsure of the limitation of my helm of telepathy - can I get a read on anyone in the room?


Scryers:

Spoiler:
The range is 60' but you need line of effect. At the moment you are blocked by a lot of stonework.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Scryers:

Spoiler:
Sounds like we've found Camlo's hosts. I was planning to cast a few buffs, before bursting in and nuking everyone with Holy smites. Other plans?


Effects:

scryers:
How do we verify before we burst in and find our buffs are being used on some other wretches' captors? (Not that they would not deserve it). Or do we care at all?


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

scryers:

Spoiler:

I'll do a perception; see if I can make out Camlo's presence therein in any way. Just.....listening I guess; I can't cast any buffs or anything.
Then, everybody buff whatever, and let's roll on these guys, whether we know or not.
Unless,......somebody can go recon invisible.
1d20 ⇒ 14

10,401 to 10,450 of 12,319 << first < prev | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.