Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


10,201 to 10,250 of 12,615 << first < prev | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | next > last >>

Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Swim 14-3=11. That's a miss by 4, so at least I have my head above water. Not much else going for me, though. How deep is the water here?


Deeper than you are tall.

One archer moves up to Camlo, flips him on to his front, and begins pinning his arms behind his back and slipping on manacles. The halfling's body is floppy and nerveless, clearly affected by some sort of extraneous effect. The other four take careful aim at Hudak. And wait. The bridge continues to burn, and Illes is clearly unconscious and on the verge of being overcome by the smoke and flames.

Hudak.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962

Climb roll:
1d20 ⇒ 20


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962

I'm trying to get the hell off the bridge as expeditiously as possible, carrying Illes.........


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Since the osyluth can't touch me and Illes is unconscious, I'll just put my action out there now...

Vethran leans against the stone wall, badly burned and drained from the poison. He casts his gaze to the south, glaring at the wand-wielding flyer...

I am readying an action to erect a wall of force 10 feet in front of the wand-wielder should he try to blast me again. This will cause his fireball to detonate prematurely and catch him in the blast. The dimensions of the wall will be 20' high by 50' long. The wall is invisible, and will be positioned at an angle so as to prevent one of the other flyers from contributing to my demise as well. The wall should begin in D27 and go diagonally to K20, unless the flyer changes positions before he tries to fire. The primary goal is to catch him in his own blast.

Save vs. poison: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19. Another 1d3 ⇒ 3 STR lost. Now at 4. Robes are starting to get heavy...


Hudak wrote:
I'm trying to get the hell off the bridge as expeditiously as possible, carrying Illes.........

As you can spiderclimb, you can more or less walk off the bridge - up, over the wall and next to Vethran?

Illes needs a stabilisation check as well.


Vethran Tallomane wrote:

Since the osyluth can't touch me and Illes is unconscious, I'll just put my action out there now...

Vethran leans against the stone wall, badly burned and drained from the poison. He casts his gaze to the south, glaring at the wand-wielding flyer...

I am readying an action to erect a wall of force 10 feet in front of the wand-wielder should he try to blast me again. This will cause his fireball to detonate prematurely and catch him in the blast. The dimensions of the wall will be 20' high by 50' long. The wall is invisible, and will be positioned at an angle so as to prevent one of the other flyers from contributing to my demise as well. The wall should begin in D27 and go diagonally to K20, unless the flyer changes positions before he tries to fire. The primary goal is to catch him in his own blast.

Save vs. poison: 1d20+8. Another 1d3 STR lost. Now at 4. Robes are starting to get heavy...

The osyluth crouches down and leans close to Vethran, as close as his warding spell will allow. The bone spurs on its knees scrape against the magical barrier and sizzle slightly, but the devil doesn't seem to notice. "Little wizard, I know you are thinking of what spell to cast. It is in your eyes. You think you can get away, but you can't. You can't hurt me. You can't get off this rock and the poison will soon leave you paralysed. And these are the hellknights. You don't escape from the hellknights, anymore than you can escape Hell. You didn't really escape last time, you just ran a little, like a mouse in a bottle. Pointless and futile. Give it up, and maybe you will be shown mercy. Maybe." It grins.


HP 68/53, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/23

Stabilization 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18 DC 14


Vethran's readied an action, so Camlo. You can attempt another save but you are now grabbed and manacled too, and anyway you won't actually get to do anything this round anyway (since you failed your save you have to be Held for at least one round). Elisile is otherwise engaged, so it's the blasters next. One keeps an eye on Alwyn, one moves to "flank" Vethran, Hudak and Illes, and the third one maintains position over Vethran, but they hold their fire (and ready actions where applicable).

So its Alwyn, trying manfully to swim in platemail.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 vs DC 18. I'll keep trying the saves if I can, but as you say, not much I can do even if I pass them.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

F&%$ this. I need outrageous luck just to continue staying afloat. I think I'll just drink my long-neglected potion of enlarge person and hope I'll get big enough to walk/jump on the bottom/drag myself back to goblin seastack and then on towards the dragon's cave.


It's tens of feet deep - you fell a long way and you would have hit the bottom if it wasn't given the distance. Alwyn can tell that, and that his Enlarge Shoanti potion won't work.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Swim 8-3=5.

"Ah. A little help? Please? Ghl..." Alwyn disappears below the waves.


The archers have no obvious targets, so they move over and complete securing Camlo.

Camlo:

Spoiler:
There is a shimmer and more hellknight soldiers emerge from a concealing invisibility glamour, including what look like several officers. A couple peer over the edge where Alwyn is struggling in the water below. Amongst them is a dark-haired, dusky-skinned woman. She is accoutred less as a soldier and more like a spellcaster and seems to be in charge.

"Ma'am, should we go down and get him?"

"Eventually. Let's give him some time to think about his situation first. See if you can find the elf woman, while you are at it." Two hellknights bang their fists to their armoured chests in salute and take to the air, angling down towards the water. She begins rapping out more orders "You four - get across and secure the situation over there. Hopefully they can be disuaded from doing anything stupid."

Vethran, Hudak, Illes:

Spoiler:
Four more hellknights come into view over the wall, powered by magical flight spells. These appear to be soldiers rather than spellcasters. They hover above, faces invisible behind their helms.

Alwyn:

Spoiler:
As he struggles in the waves, Alwyn sees the blurry shapes of two hellknights, hovering above him, through the water.


We are no longer in initiative, though the fight isn't technically over yet.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Surrounded, outnumbered, poisoned, and near death, the Varisian spits at the nearby fiend.

"Fine. Fine!" he calls out to the airborne knights. "I yield."

Dejectedly, the wizard collapses to his knees and places his hands above his head.

Poison: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23. There's another successful one. Not consecutive, though. Has it been 6 rounds yet? :D


I think you've maybe got three more saves to make - you can make them now to see if you are actually capable of movement for the next section.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
I think you've maybe got three more saves to make - you can make them now to see if you are actually capable of movement for the next section.

1: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19. Fail. 1d3 ⇒ 1 STR loss, now at 3.

2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22. Success!
3: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28. 2nd consecutive success!

3 STR sucks, but I'm not totally helpless.

Vethran slowly manages to fend off the effects of the poison, but the damage has largely already been done.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
Hudak wrote:
I'm trying to get the hell off the bridge as expeditiously as possible, carrying Illes.........

As you can spiderclimb, you can more or less walk off the bridge - up, over the wall and next to Vethran?

Illes needs a stabilisation check as well.

I'm doing that. Quickest way off that burning bridge.

Didn't anybody tell these bastards never burn any bridges?......


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962

Hudak starts unstrapping his weapons, silently, and places them on the ground, after he's lowered Illes to the turf.

First his bastard sword, then his bow, and then his daggers.

Then, he starts disrobing.


Another Swim check from Alwyn.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Swim 14-3=11. Head back above water!


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

"Hudak... there is rope... in my pack," with his strength sapped, the mage finds speaking difficult. "I'm too weak to haul Alwyn up... but maybe you can. I don't know... if it will reach..."

Vethran gestures weakly to his satchel, which he has discarded next to himself. (It's the bag of holding.)


As Alwyn manages to break the surface, two more hellknights drop from the sky and grab him under the arms. They haul him upwards, out of the water and towards shore. They fly high - any struggles would lead to another fall, probably fatal this time. Others grab Hudak, Illes and Vethran and do the same.

I think that's probably end of combat. 600xp each.


The group are dropped off in a clearing in the forest - literally, from several feet in the air. The hellknights have turned it into a small encampment, with a contingent of soldiers to guard the perpetrators. They are swiftly and efficiently manacled and shackled. Their more grievous wounds are treated with a tap from a wand. (Illes, you are now conscious again.) Then each has a bridle-like affair placed over their heads, with a bladed, spatula-like tab projecting into the mouth to prevent speech (and spellcasting) at the risk of receiving a badly lacerated toungue. Iron mittens are slipped over their hands, to prevent fine manual movements. A heavy metal belt is placed about their waists, and their manacles, shackles and headgear attached to it by long chains - but no quite long enough, forcing the head back awkwardly and the spine to curve. Then further bladed attachments are added to the belt, so that any vaguely vigorous movements would leads to painful cuts. The weight is enough to the leave the poisoned Vethran panting.

And before you ask, I haven't been surfing strange websites to get the ideas for this. Escape Artist, DC 40 is you are interested, though any failed checks lead you to take damage.

A spellcaster then stands over them, clearly with a detection cantrip up to find their magical gear. "Sword, armour, scroll case..." he says in a bored voice. Other hellknights then strip them, straps or belts cut to speed the process, and piled up. Another hellknight then catalogues it, before turning to the sergeant in charge.

"We'll have to get them to sign receipts for this stuff."

The other one stares at him.

"Hey, it's regulations!"

The other continues to stare.

"Fine! I'll just sign it myself then. Don't blame me when the auditors come looking for you."

The group are then dragged into the centre of the grove. Hellknights stand in a row, greatswords points-down in the ground. An officer in full plate armour and a woman in military uniform and the component pouches of an arcane caster watch impassively. She is dark-haired and dusky-skinned, her hair drawn. The hellknight officer turns to her and she nods. He steps forward.

“Did you find the elf woman?”

“No, sir. The currents are treacherous there, she probably drowned.”

“Perhaps. It doesn’t affect the matter at hand.” He takes out a scroll and begins reading aloud. “You have been found guilty in absentia by the Court of the Order of the Nail of the following: Breach of the Peace, Use of Deadly Magic in an Urban Area, Assaulting a Hellknight, Arson, Assisting an Offender, Failure to Register an Artefact, Tax Evasion, Murder. Under the principles of Common Purpose, sentence is passed upon all you. That sentence is death, to be carried out summarily. Carry on, sergeant.”

The hellknights executioners each take position over the captives. They carefully raise their swords and prepare to give the killing blow.

The woman abruptly raises her hand and speaks.


Obviously a bit of roleplaying is probably appropriate here. You know: "Mphmmm mmm hmm!" "Hmmmm mmm mmm!"

Anyway, now turning to AG...

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1

Illes?


hp 64/65; Effects:

"Stand down. Is the halfling still incapacitated?" Seeing no response from any of the other Hellknights, she leans in toward Camlo. "Do you have use of your body again yet, little man? If so, blink twice. No, don't nod your head. That could be bad."

The smile she graces Camlo with does not quite reach her eyes somehow.


The hellknights step back and lower their swords.


hp 64/65; Effects:

"Hmm, no?" She walks over to where Alwyn is restrained. "How about you?"

In Shoanti:
"Do you have your wits about you after your little swim?"

She doesn't appear very happy to be talking to the Gorum worshiper.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962

welcome aboard!

Hudak's chillin'. Today, he kilt a dragon, got barbecued, and almost exemickuted.

It's overwhemled the poor simple bastich, and now he's got a razorblade pacifier in his mouth.

The most he can manage is

Aubrey:

Spoiler:
Hudak's trying to act dazed, confused, and shocked.
He's trying to memorize all these guys' faces for later payback-is-a-m+%!~+#!+*!* protocol........if they are all masked, then well.....he's just looking for a chance to excape.

bluff 1d20 ⇒ 14


Hudak:

Spoiler:
They have fall-face helms on mostly. Sefayll is the main exception.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10
Sefayll Valerian wrote:
"How about you?"

*nod*

The animosity is clearly mutual. However, Alwyn does not meet the Hellknight's gaze - which causes some difficulty, as he is as tall as her even though he's kneeling.


hp 64/65; Effects:

"Good. Understand that while we talk, your friends remain in their restraints and you and I will be watched and heard by my allies. If you do anything foolish - well, the execution order remains in place. I imagine that's clear enough. I've heard many things about you, Gorumite, but stupid is not one of them." She motions to one of the Hellknights that does not have his sword readied. As he steps forward, face unseen behind the helm of his armor, he pauses next to the woman.

"Need I spell this out? I cannot speak to the man. Release him." She points to two more rank-and-file knights, "You two. You will accompany me and the accused." They each salute, banging a gauntleted hand against their chest while a spellcaster begins the actions of a spell.

When the restraints are removed, they are replaced with much simpler - and relatively speaking, comfortable - manacles at wrists and ankles. The weight is significant, but allows Alwyn to move under his own power and his tongue is no longer restrained. "Don't make me regret this." The armed escorts come forward and she motions toward a different part of the clearing about 20 feet away. She clearly expects the big man to lead the way, closely followed by the two knights.

Assuming Alwyn complies, as they move away, the woman nods to the sergeant, who barks out another order. The executioner knights move up behind their assignments and wait. Alwyn's erstwhile executioner remains where he was, watching the four as they move the short distance.

Almost as an afterthought, the woman beckons to a scribe, who hustles over to join the four of them.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Alwyn shuffles dejectedly after the Hellknight leader.


hp 64/65; Effects:

She speaks to Alwyn in a low enough voice that the others can't really make it out.

Alwyn:
"By the Nine, you're not dead, man. That should tell you something. I've heard many tales of you and your allies. Are they true? What motivates you to pursue these challenges, to fight these monsters? Why do we find you leaving the lair of a black dragon today when you could have been miles away from here, continuing our little game of cat-and-mouse?"


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Spoiler:
"The dragon is dead. We killed it along with many of its goblin slaves; they won't menace the good people of Sandpoint again. That's why we hunt monsters - to serve the greater good, and have some fun in the process."

"As for your 'games', I have no idea what you are talking about. I have never seen a hellknight in my life before, much less interacted with one. And showing up with fifty men and your pet demon hardly seems like any kind of game I'm familiar with."


hp 64/65; Effects:

She smiles without humor.

Alwyn:
"That is good news and should benefit you when I share it with my superiors. As for your reason to do so, that is as good as any. Better than most."

"As for the 'games' - perhaps someone did not share everything they knew with you."

"In a nutshell, I can stay the execution at least until we return to Magnimar. I believe I can make a case that you and your friends be spared in exchange for a service rendered to the city. Something you might actually enjoy."

She stops to get his reaction.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Spoiler:
"We are already official agents of the city of Magnimar. I have every reason to believe that the rulers there enjoy the services we render to their fair city."


hp 64/65; Effects:

Alwyn:
"Then we should get along fine."

She looks at the other Hellknights, then walks over to the sergeant to speak to him in a low voice.

Aubrey:
A PM forthcoming for you, sir.


The sergeant nods, turns and walks back and begin barking out orders.

"Get them in the wagons, we're moving out." He notices Hudak. "What are you staring at, Baldy?"

As the woman walks past, another hellknight approaches her. "Ma'am, we are in position. Permission to commence burning out the goblin nest?"


hp 64/65; Effects:

"Of course. He claims that the dragon is no longer be a concern, but be on your guards, just in case."


AG:

Spoiler:
Well done, I know that didn't come naturally. ;-P I'll leave things more up to you now, though if you want clarification about anything please let me know.

The adventurers are hauled off. A cart sits on a rough track leading out of the wood, and they are unceremoniously dumped in the back. Driven by a couple of hellknights, with two more in the back, it bumps uncomfortably out of the forest towards the road accompanied by a contingent of mounted hellknights. Once there, it turns south for Magnimar. It is late afternoon, and the column continues until it reaches the campsite Vhiski's caravan had been at the previous night. There, the hellknights pause their journey.

The prisoners are taken out of the wagon. Stakes are hammered into the ground, and their bindings are attached to them by short chains. A hellknight them comes round and removes the bridles, and then a couple more begin spooning gruel into the prisoners' mouths. (If you want it - anyway, you can now talk to each other.)


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

"Ah, well", Alwyn mutters to the others. "These a~+#&!!s have some kind of plan for us - we'll do them some kind of unspecified 'favour' in return for not getting murdered right away. There are too many of them to fight, Vethran and Illes are pretty messed up... I think we'll need to play along for now." His face gets an unpleasant cast to it. "Try to remember their names or faces. Once we've repaid their so-called debt, assuming they don't just kill us then, I'll make them regret ever messing with us. I'll save the little girl for last, and nail her to the doors of Wormwood Hall."


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962

"I never forget a favor," Hudak says, wolfing whatever gruel it is proffered.
"What'd we do? I mean, besides savin' their city from a bunch of demonic dead bastards?"


hp 64/65; Effects:

Hehe. Wonder how many characters on the boards die as a result of their allies' direct action as soon as they are able?


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962

I ain't killed nobody.....


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

"It'll be interesting to see what kind of charges they've cooked up to manipulate us with this time. We complied with their investigation in Magnimar. It was only when they tried to take us into custody without proper cause that we resisted."

Vethran, still weak from the poison, has some difficulty with eating the gruel he is given. He turns to look down the row towards the others.

"I hope Elisile managed to get away..." he lingers a bit. "Maybe she'll get the word out."

Turning back to the Hellknight feeding him, Vethran swallows before scowling. "Your sergeant should consider himself fortunate that I trapped him in a bubble instead of roasting him alive. I'm sure you're all very knowledgeable about my particular talents. I showed mercy. I didn't have to. Just remember that."


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 80962

"Heh heh. Yeah! That's right! I am mighty Hudak, mighty among a mighty race of men known as Shoanti.
I have a rattlesnake for a neckerchief. I wear two live wolverines for boots.
And I killed Black Magga using a tower for a sword.

So, let's hear what you need us to do.
I'm getting wroth over here, and I'm ready for action."


1 person marked this as a favorite.
hp 64/65; Effects:

The woman that spoke to Alwyn steps around the end of the line so they can see her as she speaks. "They do not know and they do not need to know. I will tell you what I can when I can. Now is not yet the time."

She looks at Vethran. "Master Tallomane, we are indeed familiar with your talents. Perhaps it will please you to know that our assault plans included contingencies specifically based on what we know of your skills. Your restraint was noted and included in my report. I have ordered the Hellknights remaining at the goblin den to provide aid to the elf if they locate her. Her talents would be welcome for the task ahead."

She stops speaking and watches the gruel-spooners complete their task. She stands back so that she is not in their way and where she can observe each of the captives.

10,201 to 10,250 of 12,615 << first < prev | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.