Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


10,001 to 10,050 of 12,361 << first < prev | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | next > last >>

male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Dooooo eeeeet! Dooooo eeeet!


OK, let's get old Camlo Baggins into the fray.

Illes casts his glamour and Camlo is transformed into a snot-nosed goblin, complete with flakey skin complaint. At this, there isn't much more to do than for him to enter the tunnel and see what transpires.

OK, Camlo can't interact with the rest of the group unless someone also considers casting some sort of Mindlink or similar spell - which you can do if you wish. To avoid two weeks of Camlo-only spoilers, I'll stick his action up but you won't be able to talk to him (unless you go with him, of course). Also, remember that you cannot see inside the passage without a light source - I assume Camlo is taking a toch, sunrod or whatever unless you say otherwise.

The tunnel is narrow and low - little more than a crack in the stone. While it doesn't impede Camlo, anyone much bigger would be forced to crawl. It twists, so that no straight section is much longer than a few feet, and he is forced to scramble up and down. The walls are damp, and it smells of the sea and faint rot. But the passage isn't very long - peerhaps thirty feet - and soon it open out into another chamber.

It is lower than the goblin rookery, the roof perhaps ten feet high at most. Camlo is standing on a small shingle beach a few feet wide. It is covered with what he at first imagines is driftwood and litter. Then he looks closer and realises that the detritus is actually bones, big and small. Most look like the remains of large fish, small whales or perhaps the occasional deer or elk. But there are also humanoid remains too - primarily, but not entirely, goblins. All the remains seem to be pitted by some sort of corrosion, and to have been crunched to pieces by powerful jaws.

The rest of the chamber is an extensive pool with a low rocky island in the centre, on which something glitters faintly in the dark. A narrow spit leads from the beach to the island. The water sloshes lazily and green-blue light filters from an undersea passage to the outside. Of the dragon, there is no sign.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Camlo looks at the edge of the cave, and decides that exploring around the water will take too long. He instead decides to investigate the island, and moves off carefully and quietly.

Perception: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (16) + 14 = 30 Stealth: 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (20) + 24 = 44


Camlo creeps along the beach and across the spit towards the island. The throb of the water lapping inside the cave is the only sound, except perhaps for the thud of his own heart in his ears and his stifled breathing. He can see the pile of treasure lying on the island and glinting in the half-light. He looks about carefully, but realises that if the dragon was submerged he likely wouldn't be able to see it anyway.

As that thought creeps uncomfortably through his mind, the water in the pool suddenly erupts in an explosion of wings and black scales. The dragon launches itself on to the line of shingle, between the island and Camlo. It is a huge presence, black as night and half-obscured in the semi-dark. Its head, horns curling and snaggle-toothed, shoots out at the end of its long serpenting neck. It casts about briefly before finding Camlo crouched. It then slowly brings its snout within six inches of the disguised halfling. It rubs its tongue behind its teeth, and drool falls hissing to the pebbles below.

"What, slave?" it growls.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Camlo drops to his knees in the face of the dragon, trembling, and trying furiously to remember why they were actually trying to find the dragon...

"Ah, errmm, glorious master! Th-the-the- tribe above. Your salves. There has been, an-ererrm- well, a change of, ahh, leadership! Chief, Grak, the hobgoblin now leads the tribe, and promises to supply your Highness with man-flesh, and gold!"

All the while, Camlo keeps scraping and bowing...

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Errmmm, haw far is it back to the cave?

Knowledge (Arcana, Untrained) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14 What does Camlo know about this sort of dragon?


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Back on the beach...

Illes frowns, scratches his stubble and asks sheepishly, "Hmm... This may be a little late, but does anyone else remember how we met the halfling? Hiding in tunnels from ogres who he pissed off while trying to steal their junk? Suddenly I'm wondering why we agreed to let him go off and aggravate a dragon."

Vethran- could you ID the potentially magical items Illes scavenged off the chief?
EDIT: Elisile can give it a try first. Detect Magic + spellcraft
nice amulet 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (2) + 17 = 19
scroll 1 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34
scroll 2 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (14) + 17 = 31
scroll 3 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (9) + 17 = 26
a necklace 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (6) + 17 = 23
a pretty feather 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (5) + 17 = 22


Goblin haul:
Scroll of Fireball (CL8)
Scroll of Blink (CL5)
Scroll of Slow (CL5)
Amulet of Natural Armour +1
Feather Token (Whip)
Necklace of Fireballs II

"Man flesh and gold? I'd be surprised..." sneers the dragon. "And why does he not come and tell me himself? I suppose I should feel insulted, though his fear at least does him credit - he's not as stupid as the others."

The head drops lower, and the dragon sniffs the air. "You smell... different, somehow. Less... repulsive." The head drops lower still and the dragon turns its head to regard Camlo closely from one of its sunken green eyes, glimmering in its shadowy socket. "I haven't seen you before, have I?"

Camlo knows the obvious stuff - black dragons are nasty, capricious and cruel, and breathe acid.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

"I -I- I am new, Master. From f-f-far tribe, drawn by your renown, and errmm, fame. W-w-wanted to see, your glory, so Grak sent me with news. M-m-may I leave now oh, g-g-reat lord?"

Camlo's trembling isn't at all faked, as he tries to move, slowly and carefully to put himself between the cave and the dragon.


"A far tribe, drawn by my fame?" repeats the dragon suspiciously. "Where from, exactly?"

OK, there's two, not mutually exclusive ways Camlo can do this - an old-fashioned Bluff, or he can try a Knowledge (History) OR Knowledge (Geography) check. If he goes for the latter, and makes a DC 12 check:

Spoiler:
The Calphiak Maountains are fairly infested with goblins, and further north up the coast from here.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

I have neither of those, and untrained would be no higher than DC10

"Oh, yes, great one, from the Thistlebog goblins, to the North. I have seen you fly over our swamps, and was awed by your size, and good flying."

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

While still scared, Camlo is starting to enjoy this, possibly a little too much...


"Thistlebog? Never heard of it. But then, why would I have heard of every goblin hovel in the North?" The dragon stretches itself like cat and then pads back to lie on its hoard on the island. It regards Camlo through slitted eyes. "None of which explains why you were creeping towards my treasure..?"


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Oh, ah, yeah, errrmmm, well, I couldn't see your Most Mighty Self. And Grak wouldn't be happy if I just went back out without doing my job, and so I thought, I'd errm, sit down! Yes, sit. And then I saw how shiny your horde is, and magnificently big, and I couldn't help having a look. Goblins love shiny things, and so I crept closer. I didn't touch though! It's all still there!

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


The dragon stares at Camlo silently and unmoving for an uncomfortably long time. Then is abruptly turns its head away. "I suppose all goblins are thieves by nature. If I ate every goblin here that coveted my hoard there would be none left for me to command."

It regards Camlo pointedly. "Tell Grak to come here in person. Now. Inform him of my anger that he did not come here to make proper obeisance to me, sending some strange-smelling lackey instead. I also want to know what has happened to the party of adventurers that I battled on the trade road. Their impertinence will not stand. His predecessor was tasked with hunting them down so I could finish them off. I want to know how advanced is the execution of this task. Go, before I get hungry." The dragon closes its eyes and proceeds to ignore Camlo.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Camlo Nods. Runs. Trips. Stumbles, Runs harder. Makes the cave. Breaths a sigh of relief that he survived, and then goes as quickly as he safely can to relay the conversation, and the layout of the cave to his friends.

His hurried story ends with a look at Grak "I, err, think he'd like to see you."


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

"Well,....should we cruise through there?...."


OK - is that the plan??


As Ithers mentioned in the discussion thread for the Eberron game, Grak isn't with you guys, he's up the rookery lording it over the goblins. People seem a bit burned out with work commitments or looking-for-work commitments at the moment - if people have ideas please offer them, otherwise we'll give it a few more days.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

I guess we could crawl through the entryway.

I'll offer to take the lead,
I'll start to look at everybody's character sheets, and see if there's anything neato for those guys to buff the party with.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042
Hudak wrote:

I guess we could crawl through the entryway.

I'll offer to take the lead,
I'll start to look at everybody's character sheets, and see if there's anything neato for those guys to buff the party with.

OTOH,

Alwyn has blessing of fervor. THAT'LL grease us through this dadgum entryhall.
And/or,....Illes has haste; might be nice.

Elly has invis and fly;

Veth has stoneskin, protection from energy;.....
just brainstorming......maybe a wall of force might be useful;.....


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Some ideas on prep-

Knowing you are going into a dragon fight seems like one of the situations where you know the material cost of stoneskin is worth it considering you might get crunched at any time if the dragon takes a special liking to you.

Vethran:
-stoneskin
-protection from energy acid
-false life from his sihedron medallion
-protection from evil to get another +1 resistance on saves
-potion of fox's cunning to boost save DCs
-fly for mobility and speed over the water
-shield

Illes:
-haste on everyone extended with rod
-mirror image
-sonic weapon for Illes and possibly others.
-scroll of heroism on alwyn (+2 morale on all saves, attacks, and skill checks. The attack bonus will stack with inspire courage because one is morale, the other competence.)
-scroll of eagle's splendor for spell DCs
-wand of enlarge person on Hudak (after the tunnel)
-wand of enlarge person on Alwyn (after the tunnel)
-inspire courage +4 attack/damage, +3 charm/fear. Includes badge of valor

Elisile:
-already has mage armor running
-Fly
-Cat's Grace (net +2 bonus)
-Shield
-protection vs evil (to get +1 more resistance on all saves)
-mirror image
-If her sihedron medallion can also cast false life, that too.

Alwyn will want to power up his str and AC and stuff, but he is around so we can wait for him.

Camlo-
Take the necklace of fireballs type II

Vethran should take the amulet of natural armor. He and Illes are the only PC's without one and the badge of valor is a conflicting item slot. I may drop it eventually to phase out 3.5 stuff, but will definitely be using it this fight.

Elisile should take the slow and blink scrolls to scribe in her book since they are transmutation.

Illes will take the feather token whip and the fireball CL8 scroll. Elisile has evocation as an opposed school and Vethran would probably laugh off the DC level of a CL8 scroll at this point. Illes can cast it pretty reliably with UMD +18


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

We'll need to squeeze through tight tunnels while wearing armour; that'll wake the dead. However, I have a silence spell memorised - if we push it in front of us, we should have a much better chance of taking it unawares.

"Did the dragon look any worse for wear? We put a fair amount of hurt on it last night."


No, it didn't.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Ah, didn't see the post in the other thread. Ignore Camlo talking to Grak then ;) It doesn't look like we will have *any* time to cast spells once through the tunnel though, I'd guess from the dragon's reaction that as soon as it sees us, we are getting attacked. I like that silence idea, that may give us a little chance. Camlo will definitely take the neclace of fireballs.


Bear in mind - unless you can see in the dark, you will need light to go through the tunnel. The dragon will see that coming, even if he can't hear you.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

sorry for the delay; I'm at an impasse here. I don't relish getting seen crawling through there, even with haste, and giving that thing a free breath weapon on us before we've even closed with it.

I think we could maybe try to smoke him out; that's all I got. Bring him to us; we go in there, it's curtains.


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

"Cam- how long did it take you to get through that tunnel? It'll take us maybe twice that. "

to be sure min / level buffs won't expire before we get through.
I won't do haste until we are nearly out. Being round / level we'd blow it before the fight.


The tunnel isn't very long - about thirty or forty feet.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
Bear in mind - unless you can see in the dark, you will need light to go through the tunnel. The dragon will see that coming, even if he can't hear you.

Really? We can't just feel our way through and then light it up once we get through? 30' should be manageable even for us humans.


Sounds like a plan?

It's also worth mentioning that, once through the tunnel, you can see without additional light, though it is gloomy.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

I'm ready.

Buffs up!!!!

LEEEEEEROY JENKINS!!!

(Hudak doesn't yell that.....)

Grand Lodge

Alwyn want to cast anything?


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

"Camlo, how high is the ceiling in there?"

Lessee.... Here's my plan:
* Round T-5: I cast Silence on a rock. Someone picks it up and stands by the tunnel mouth, stopping any sound from reaching the dragon's cave.
* Round T-4: I cast Protection from evil on Hudak.
* Round T-3: I cast Bull's STR on Hudak.
* Round T-2: I cast Divine favour on myself.
* Round T-1: I cast Divine power on myself.
* Round T: I cast Blessing of fervour on everyone; the party then enters the tunnel.
* Round T+1: I exit the tunnel; as I do so, I cast Righteous might and grow to Large size.

Obviously, I heal anyone that's hurt up to maximum before any of this starts. Does anyone have any kind of protection from acid effects?


The tunnel is low and difficult terrain - you will move at 1/4 speed for anyone medium size. The ceiling height of the chamber varies but it isn't especially high - maybe 20' at the highest point.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

"I can provide a substantial level of protection from the dragon's acid breath... but I have only enough magic to ward three of us. I will also harden Hudak's skin to provide resistance to the dragon's physical attacks. All of these spells should last well in excess of an hour."

Vethran has a protection from energy prepped and two channel the gift spells, meaning he could cast the protection three times. At his caster level, it provides a 108 point acid buffer. I can blow all three now, or I can save a channel in case we need an extra fireball or something. Party's choice.

I will, however, drop a stoneskin on Hudak, giving him DR 10/adamantine for 90 minutes. Once the spell has negated 90 points of damage, the DR will end.

"I can also simply teleport up to four of us into the chamber, hopefully bypassing any possibility of being bottlenecked in the tunnel. I can take three others and myself... unless the tunnel is more than 800 feet long?" The wizard glances to Camlo, raising an eyebrow.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

"I don't think it was quite that long. I can make my way back through the tunnel if you do that. It will mean you can distract the monster, and I have a better chance of using my skills while it is distracted. C-could you change me b-back to my normal form first too?"


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

It is 30-40 feet long. Aubrey answered that one a few posts back.
You might have a hard time teleporting in without having seen it. Dark between here and there so you can't see a destination.

Vethran-
Look at the casting list I proposed for me you and Elisile up above and see if you want to do any of those or scratch them. If nothing else the false life from the medallion is a freebie.

EDIT: I realized a bit late you must have been proposing dimension door. Keep in mind that the cavern is a lake with an island and a narrow walkway leading to it. Without seeing where you are going you may end up landing in water with a swimming black dragon.


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

I'll go first; somebody at least haste me if we're going through the tunnel, I'm down for getting teleported and seeing what happens as well; it's all good to Hudak at this juncture.


Sounding like we have a plan?


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

How many Fly spells are available? Hudak is the obvious recipient of one. I'd like one; maybe Camlo or Elisile would benefit from one too. Decisions, decisions....


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
Sounding like we have a plan?

We're getting there.....


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042
Alwyn Agnarrson wrote:
How many Fly spells are available? Hudak is the obvious recipient of one. I'd like one; maybe Camlo or Elisile would benefit from one too. Decisions, decisions....

I see Elisile has one.

And Veth has 1 scroll of fly.


OK?


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Yeah; let's go.

I got stoneskin and whatnot, somebody gimme and Alwyn a fly (veth and elly) and haste me and I'm off.


So say you all?

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1

If anyone had a problem, they'd have spoken up by now. Going with Ith's spell list above, and getting at that Dragon!


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Sorry about my lack of posting - something's happened to our home internet, ans posting opportunities at work have been very scarce. But, yeah, we might as well get rolling. A couple of points:
* I like the idea of Vethran bamf!ing us into the cave. Crawling through the tunnel is just begging to get our faces melted off.
* We need serious bardic buffing. Illes can apparently get everyone +5 bonuses. I think we'll need that.
* The anti-fear effect becomes especially important as we really struggled to hit the beast last time.


OK, fine and dandy, but I do need something a bit more concrete as a plan so I can describe what happens.


3 people marked this as a favorite.
HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Because it seems no one is able to finalize this, I've done it here by compiling things people have already said with things that seem like a good idea to me. We already know this dragon is dangerous. Burning some expendables to give us an edge seems like the thing to do. This includes only the things we have already cast before going in.

Before any casting Alwyn drops silence on a rock and tosses it in the tunnel entrance to cover the sound of our extensive chanting.

Elisile also has dimension door prepped. Between them they can manage a couple of large sized bruisers and still get everyone except Camlo who can speed through the tunnel as he is small so lets save a round of buffing during the fight and send them in large sized.

Once this list is cast Vethran can D-Door in: Vethran, LARGE Hudak, and Illes.
Elisile can D-Door in: Elisile and LARGE Alwyn.
Hasted, Cam will clear the tunnel in a move action.

Alwyn- Divine Favor and Divine Power don't stack. Both are luck bonuses and Power completely overlaps and adds on to Favor. Save the slot for a spontaneous heal I guess.

Hudak:
-Stoneskin (from Vethran, DR 10, adamantium. Max 90 damage.)
-protection from energy acid (Vethran)
-Fly (Vethran's scroll)
-protection from evil (Alwyn)
-bull's strength (Alwyn)
-Blessing of Fervor (Alwyn)
-extended haste (Illes 18 rounds)
-Sonic Weapon (Illes +1d6 sonic damage)
-Inspire Courage (Illes +4 att/dam, +4 charm/fear)
-Enlarged by Illes Wand (10 rounds only)

Alwyn:
-protection from energy acid (Vethran via channel the gift)
-Fly (Elisile)
-Extended Divine Power
-Blessing of Fervor
-Righteous Might
-extended haste (Illes 18 rounds)
-Sonic Weapon (Illes +1d6 sonic damage)
-Heroism (Illes from a scroll, +2 morale on all saves, attacks, and skill checks. The attack bonus will stack with inspire courage because one is morale, the other competence. Save bonuses do NOT stack with Inspire Courage)
-Inspire Courage (Illes +4 att/dam, +4 charm/fear)

Vethran:
-protection from energy acid (channel the gift)
-false life from his sihedron medallion 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 temp hps
-protection from evil to get another +1 resistance on saves
-potion of fox's cunning to boost save DCs
-fly
-shield
-Blessing of Fervor (Alwyn)
-extended haste (Illes 18 rounds)
-Inspire Courage (Illes +4 att/dam, +4 charm/fear)

Illes:
-mirror image 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6 images
-sonic weapon (+1d6 sonic)
-scroll of eagle's splendor for spell DCs
-extended haste (Illes 18 rounds)
-Inspire Courage (Illes +4 att/dam, +4 charm/fear)
-Blessing of Fervor (Alwyn)

Elisile:
-Cat's Grace (net +2 bonus)
-Shield
-protection vs evil (to get +1 more resistance on all saves)
-mirror image 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 images
-False Life from sihedron medallion 1d10 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10 temp hps
-Blessing of Fervor (Alwyn)
-extended haste (Illes 18 rounds)
-Inspire Courage (Illes +4 att/dam, +4 charm/fear)

Camlo:
-extended haste (Illes 18 rounds)
-Inspire Courage (Illes +4 att/dam, +4 charm/fear)
-blessing of fervor
-loan him Vethran's wand of magic missile CL 3, (33 charges)


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Camlo gets the loan of Veth's wand of MM because he is unlikely to be able to sneak attack beyond a first shot and since he doesn't have rapid reload neither haste nor blessing of fervor are going to let him get that second attack each round with a crossbow. At least a couple of magic missiles are a guaranteed hit. I don't know about SR though. If Vethran feels comfortable giving up his Fly Cam could get in and do a little hand to hand sneak attacking with flanking, but he'll have to be on his toes. No acid protection and he might get smashed if he gets too much attention.

Alwyn- I used to be able to do +5 inspire courage, but I traded in the spell inspirational boost from the spell compendium for something else as part of the bardic leveling. Tops out at +4 now, but at some point I thought it was a little too much cheese having feats and items from end phase 3.5 splat books and Eberron mixed in to the PF character.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Cam will also need to pass UMD checks to use the wand if I remember rightly....

Camlo loads his crossbow, ready to pop off a shot as soon as he clears the tunnel exit, and then waits, ready to dash as soon as the others disappear.

10,001 to 10,050 of 12,361 << first < prev | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.