Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


9,301 to 9,350 of 12,344 << first < prev | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | next > last >>

Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Star Trekkers:

Spoiler:
I'm in favor of going after the others in the first instance.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

The Cool Kids:
Vethran wants to pick up a couple scrolls of detect scrying before leaving, just to be sure that the Hellknights aren't about to "scry and fry" the group with the aid of a spellcaster. It's a 4th-level spell, meaning each scroll will be 700gp, but I intend to scribe one into my spellbook (or Elisile can, as she can cast 4th-level spells and has more non-specialty slots than I do). Also, with the combination of scrying and teleport, we can catch up to the others tomorrow in the blink of an eye (and with no material component cost). No need to rush out of Sandpoint. Presumably Alwyn will contact Vethran tomorrow morning with his daily sending and I will appraise him of our situation.


Illes, Elisile, Vethran:

Spoiler:
What daily Sending? I know you guys talked about it, but Alwyn hasn't prepared it once.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Arcane Casters:
...well he was SUPPOSED to. He even said before we left "We'll be in touch daily through our spells." Failing that, I can use scrying + message to talk to him, but I was operating under the assumption that we were maintaining daily contact.


Arcane Crew:

Spoiler:
'Fraid not. Can't get the staff...


Camlo:

Spoiler:
It's your go.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

The Devil Come Down to Sandpoint - Do we need a golden violin?:
Sorry, got lost in all the magnimar spoilers!

Kinds Borning Though, double move to U25 (which isn't much of a double move, but hey ho.....


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Magic men:

Spoiler:
Elisile tries to hide the huge polearm under Vethran’s mattress, but it sticks out at both ends. In the end she settles for shifting aside his bed and the adjacent wardrobe and wedging the ransuer into the gap between the furniture and the wall.

Heading out into town to visit the local magic shop with Vethran, the pair soon learn that they have missed their companions by mere hours. Upon hearing Vethran’s suggestion, the elf laughs. “Scry? Teleport? You are growing too reliant on magic Vethran, as impressive as it is, you will start to get fat. We can buy horses and catch up with them by tonight – it is not likely they will have left the road. Get some fresh air and see the countryside, I have not been far north of Sandpoint by road.” At the mention of Hellknight scrying and protective measures, she grows more serious. “Learning a detect scrying spell is a good precaution, and worth doing in the near future. But I feel that if the Hellknights had the resources to scry us immediately to hand, they would have scried Camlo before now ... so either they do not, and we are safe for the moment – perhaps a day or two while they gather resources – or they have, in which case all the more reason to warn our friends of danger tonight, rather than waiting until the morning.

“I will pay the cost of a detect scrying scroll if you can buy one here, but in the meantime I will go to the stables to enquire about horses, one for myself and one for each of you and Illes too if you wish to ride with me this afternoon.”


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Shout at the devil!

Spoiler:
Hudak moves to P15.


The Road to Riddleport, starring Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour (aka Alwyn, Hudak and Camlo):

Spoiler:
The adventurers head towards the creature. But something isn't quite right. It is about the size of a car horse with a long tail, ridged and scaly, slashing the air. The creature swings its horned head towards them at the end of its long neck and flexes its leathery wings. Its eyes gleam in the fire light, sunk into pits in its elongated skull-like face, and a crazed mass teeth fill its long snout. Its dark reptilian hide is nobbly, with the muscles of a powerful hunting beast bunching underneath. Heavy claws dig into the hide of the feebly twitching mule lying on its side beneath it. It gives a hissing roar, deep and hostile, and the acrid stink of its breath fills the air.

Is this the Sandpoint Devil?

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) or (Nature), DC 10 (you can try these untrained).

If you make the skill check:

Spoiler:
Nope, it's a black dragon.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Bing Crosby sez:

Spoiler:
Untrained Knowledge skills: 5+1=6, 7+1=8. OK, then...

Alwyn pokes his head out the tent flap."Excellent! It's the legendary Sandpoint Devil! Its head will look very good above my longhouse door!"


Rowdies on the Road to Riddleport:

Spoiler:
The devil spots one of the guards and its head swings towards him. It spits a long line of fluid at him, and the man screams horrible, clutching his face and falling to the ground writhing.

Alas, G1 - we knew you so briefly.

Updated initiatives:
Camlo 23
Hudak 21
The Devil 19
Alwyn 12
Guards 1

Map updated.

Alwyn.


Recently Departed (from Magnimar):

Spoiler:
Vethran searches the meagre magic shops in Sandpoint while Elisile sources some mounts.

OK, roll a WIS check, DC 15: if you make it, you can find the scroll you seek.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Keep Scrollin', Scrollin', Scrollin':
WIS: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 Woo-hoo! Is there only a single scroll available or can I get 2?


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Spoiler:
Know Dung: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (17) + 15 = 32

"Ah, Chaps" Camlo says in an exaggerated whisper. "I think that's actually a d-d-dragon!!"


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Ramblin' men:

Spoiler:
Alwyn casts Righteous might and then moves to UV 12-13.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

The Displaced:

Spoiler:

I believe the scroll will cost 700gp; Elisile will give Vethran the cash for it (or for one such scroll if more than one is available) if she is to add it to her spellbook (which is fine by me).
She’ll also purchase a light riding horse (75gp) with saddle (10gp), bit and bridle (2gp), saddlebags (4gp) and several days worth of feed (2sp) ... after which she is getting low on cash, but can just about afford to buy a horse for one or both of the others too if they want to come for a ride and are short on cash. Alternatively, is the local stable master willing to rent some horses to the (other) Heroes of Sandpoint?


Don't push it, Vethran:

Spoiler:
There's only one scroll.


Road Warriors:

Spoiler:
Camlo.


Happy Shoppers:

Spoiler:
OK, what now? You have a scroll, and you have a horse. The local stablemaster will sell you a horse at a discount (60gp) but he won't rent one.


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Spoiler:
Camlo crouches and runs off to one side of the dragon. Double move to P10


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Devil Warriors of the Asphalt:

(Pertinent info Posted herein-just making a note; it's somewhat obscured by a wall of spoilers, to me anyway.)

Spoiler:
Hudak moves in on the thing; L14;
hewing two handed with his bastard sword;

1d20 + 19 ⇒ (9) + 19 = 28

damage
1d10 + 17 ⇒ (6) + 17 = 23

and he's ac 15.


Updated initiatives:
Camlo 23
Hudak 21
The Devil 19
Alwyn 12
Guards 1

MAP


Hudak:

Spoiler:
[oooc]I'll repost the info so it's available each time. [/ooc]


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Aubrey:
right on;...


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Onward!:
Vethran purchases the scroll and two horses (complete with saddle, bags, bit, etc.) from his own money and gives the scroll to Elisile for transcription. (Since Elisile has more non-specialist slots than Veth, it's better that she be the one to write it in her book. Then you can always produce more scrolls of it in the future if necessary.) Illes and Vethran can share a horse and Elisile can have the other. I've already deducted the amount from my total.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

and ever onward:
And ride! First we’ll ask the locals whether our friends left on their own, in company, on foot, by horse etc.

We’ll head north along the road. Occasionally Elisile will stop and look around for tracks to see if they are still heading in the right direction. Take 10 on Survival for 22


I HATE PF SO MUCH! Such a stupid system! I'm stat-creating so please bear with me.

EDIT: Meh, I'll use the one in the book.


Alwyn, Camlo, Hudak:

Spoiler:
Hudak scores a bloody gash across its flank, but the creature fights back ferociously, pushing Hudak to the ground.

First, the AoO on Alwyn:
Bite: 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (18) + 21 = 39, damage 2d6 + 10 ⇒ (2, 1) + 10 = 13
Next, the full attack on Hudak:
Bite: 1d20 + 17 ⇒ (16) + 17 = 33, damage 2d6 + 22 ⇒ (2, 1) + 22 = 25
Claw 1: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35, damage 1d8 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21
Claw 2: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (15) + 16 = 31, damage 1d8 + 15 ⇒ (6) + 15 = 21
Wing 1: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21, damage 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8
Wing 1: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21, damage 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13
Tal Slap: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24, damage 1d8 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

I calculate that's an unconscious Hudak.

It then shifts back 5' and unleashes its Frightful Presence, which has a 180' radius. DC 19 Will save (Fear), or be Shaken (-2 to attacks, damage, skill checks) for 5d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 3, 4, 3) = 22 rounds.

Updated initiatives:
Camlo 23
Hudak 21
The Devil 19
Alwyn 12
Guards 1

Just as disaster looms, three familiar figures on horseback emerge from the dark.

Map updated.

Alwyn.


Elisile, Illes, Vethran:

Spoiler:
The adventurers ride hard, hoping to meet up with their companions before nightfall. They pass familiar sights, including the bridge where the goblin ambush was thwarted, and the fringes of the Nettlewood, erstwhile home of the Thistletop goblins and Nualia's final lair. The evidence of the caravan's passing are obvious from the recent ruts and hoof-prints in the road. It's a long day in the saddle, but Elisile's rough calculation that they should meet up somewhere beyond the Nettlewood is borne out. With the sun disappeared to the west, the glowing light of several campfires can be seen about a mile distant along the road.

Eager to rejoin their friends, but not eager to break their necks riding fast in the dark, they slow the pace to a walk. With Elisile's night vision they make easy progress, and have nearly reached the camp when they hear a bestial roar, a human scream, and Hudak's unmistakable warcry.

Harrying past the small stand of trees between them and the camp, they find a scene of chaos. A mule lies twitching on the ground, and nearby it is the prone figure of Hudak, brutally savaged. Camlo is in the road while a giant-sized Alwyn towers above the camp. And facing them is the unmistakable (well, to most people - therein lies a tale) shape of a dragon.

Roll initiative.

Also, the dragon is unleashing its Frightful Presence: DC 19 Will save or be Shaken for 22 rounds.

Map

Just to explain the map: the green is forest (difficult terrain); the orange is the road; the yellow are tents; and the brown are wagons. The red is the camp fire, the "Gs" are human guards.


And so endeth the spoilers - the gang is together again.


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Will 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21


Male Halfling Rogue/10 AC:23 HP:80{83} Dravite

Any reason why Camlo is down at the bottom? Yu seem to have shifted the map co-ordinates, but by my reckoning, he should be in Z11

Will: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2
Illes Elandru wrote:

Init: 1d20 + 2

Will 1d20 + 5

Wha – what? Are we fighting?


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22. Will: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

"D- dr- dragon!!!" Vethran screams as he approaches the monster, clearly in awe of its terrible power.

RE: The map - Illes and Vethran are sharing a single horse, not riding separately.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

I might be missing a post, but since we seem to be rolling will saves and init...
Will: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 (additional +2 to enchantment effects, +4 to visual effects)

Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

EDIT: Dragon? Ok, I am definately not seeing a post somewhere ...


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

I HATE PF SO MUCH! Such a stupid system! I'm stat-creating so please bear with me.

EDIT: Meh, I'll use the one in the book.

From a playability perspective I like the system, from a GM building stat block perspective it is entirely too tedious – only fractionally better than 3.5 (and only because skills are a bit simpler).

A while back I started doing a spread sheet of good stat blocks from the APs and various other sources to use for other games, haven't updated it in a long while though.


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

Can the dragon's color be determined from here? If so, Kn (Arcana): 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (14) + 18 = 32 to know anything about the dragon (weaknesses, immunities, etc.).

Moth: Yeah, Aubrey has a spoilered post for the three of us immediately preceeding his "so endeth the spoilers" comment.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Hmmm ... I can see a spoilered post for us, but all it reads (for me) is:

“The adventurers ride hard, hoping to meet up with their companions before nightfall. They pass familiar sights, including the bridge where the goblin ambush was thwarted, and the fringes of the Nettlewood, erstwhile home of the Thistletop goblins and Nualia's final lair. The evidence of the caravan's passing are obvious from the recent ruts and hoof-prints in the road. It's a long day in the saddle, but Elisile's rough calculation that they should meet up somewhere beyond the Nettlewood is borne out. With the sun disappeared to the west, the glowing light of several campfires can be seen about a mile distant along the road.”


male Human Shoanti Fighter 10 xp 79042

Far be it for me to check an accountant's math.
Kids....don't fight black dragons nekkid.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2
Elisile Starbrow wrote:

Hmmm ... I can see a spoilered post for us, but all it reads (for me) is:

“The adventurers ride hard, hoping to meet up with their companions before nightfall. They pass familiar sights, including the bridge where the goblin ambush was thwarted, and the fringes of the Nettlewood, erstwhile home of the Thistletop goblins and Nualia's final lair. The evidence of the caravan's passing are obvious from the recent ruts and hoof-prints in the road. It's a long day in the saddle, but Elisile's rough calculation that they should meet up somewhere beyond the Nettlewood is borne out. With the sun disappeared to the west, the glowing light of several campfires can be seen about a mile distant along the road.”

Ah ... ok, the rest of the post is showing up for me now. And Hudak ...

“Hudak!” Elisile cries, clearly shaken.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

As with Veth, Knowledge Arcana check to identify the type of dragon and know immunities etc: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (18) + 16 = 34. Perception check if required to see the colour: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20


Map corrected.

The dragon is black.


Initiaives:
Camlo 23
Vethran 22
Hudak 21
The Dragon 19
Illes 16
Alwyn 12
Elisile 5
Guards 1

I suspect that Alwyn's position on the map is wrong (my fault) but we'll roll with it. In the mean time, we'll wait for Alwyn's turn and then go back to the top with everyone. The Arcana checks are sufficient to determine the creature's powers and immunities.


HP 68/68, AC 21, T 12, FF 19, CMD 19 Performance 30/30

"Holy S*++!!! Is that what I think it is?"

Kn Arcana: Take 10 for 24.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

I suspect that Alwyn's position on the map is wrong (my fault) but we'll roll with it.

The positioning is one thing, but why did it get an AoO on me? After all, I'm also Large and don't need to move inside its reach.

Alwyn follows the winged beast, probing its defences.

Time to pull out all the stops. I'm using Vital Strike, Power Attack and Destructive Smite. Attack roll 16+8-2(PA)+2(Bull's STR)+2(Righteous Might)=AC 26, damage 6d6+11+3(Bull's STR)+3(Righteous Might)+4(Destructive Smite)=46.


Male Human (Shoanti) Cleric 10

Oh, and the save: Will 11+11=22.


Alwyn charges in to pull the beast away from his brother. He makes a powerful swing, calling on Gorum to power his blow. But the beast is wily, and slips away from Alwyn's attack at the last moment.

And now, introducing the goblins!
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Initiaives:
Camlo 23
Goblins 22+
Vethran 22-
Hudak 21
The Dragon 19
Illes 16
Alwyn 12
Elisile 5
Guards 1

The dragon growls something in a gutteral toungue, and the bushes begin to rustle with movement.

If you speak Goblin:

Spoiler:
"Slaves! Attack!"

Camlo.

Map updated.


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Elisile is slow to react, both encumbered by dragon fear and indecision about which spell to cast.

“I can make us all invisible,” she suggests to her two companions in Varisian, choosing a language she knows the other two understand, but that the dragon and goblins probably don’t. “It will buy us a moment to prepare, but you’ll both need to stay very close to me.”


Female Elf Wizard (Transmuter) 6 / Ranger 1 / Eldritch Knight 2

Hudak is down, Alwyn missed with a roll of 16, and the newcomers are about to be caught flat footed by goblins. We could be in trouble here lads.

A question, did the goblins use their actions this round to arrive at their current positions on the map, or will they still act this round? If they’ve been that close all along, would Elisile’s perception check of 20 have been enough to detect any of them? Not that it would probably make much difference ...


Male Human (Varisian) Wizard (Evoker) 9

"I was just going to set the forest ablaze and kill the lot of them!" the mage calls out to Elisile, leading his horse onward.

9,301 to 9,350 of 12,344 << first < prev | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Rise of the Runelords campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.