Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game


Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Aubrey's Eberron campaign.

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


19,451 to 19,498 of 19,498 << first < prev | 380 | 381 | 382 | 383 | 384 | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | 389 | 390 | next > last >>

Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

ah didnt see that lone little line. If i 5ft step right i should then be able to see the aforementioned intersection


HPs: 89 [77] / 69, APs: 11/5 Effects: Con Drain 1, Con Damage 1 Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 12

Reflex DC 18: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27 14 damage from the previous CoC

I have dispel magic prepped. It will just be a question of whether casting it leads to death, unconsciousness, or removing it without going unconscious.


Hp 68 of 83; Active Effects: Nil; Human Male Cleric 6/ Exorcist of the Silver Flame 6

“Have faith my friends, we can defeat this enemy. Hold on!” calls Rodergo, striding forward and holding up his holy symbol, a wash of silvery light bursting forth from it.

Move to AI 36. Channel positive energy to heal, excluding H2, H3 and HC; I don’t think any other enemies are in the radius of healing, all our guys including Gil should be.

Healing: 5d6 ⇒ (2, 3, 6, 2, 3) = 16


Hp 68 of 83; Active Effects: Nil; Human Male Cleric 6/ Exorcist of the Silver Flame 6

Hmmm, that could have been better.


Ezreal Farlowe wrote:

[dice=Reflex DC 18]1d20 + 11 14 damage from the previous CoC

I have dispel magic prepped. It will just be a question of whether casting it leads to death, unconsciousness, or removing it without going unconscious.

Do you feel lucky, punk?


H2 29 (blinded)
Janosz 26
HC 19
H3 17+
Kazadar 16
Gil 15+ (prone)
Father Rod 15-
H1 13
Ezreal 7-
Haladon 6
Inspired 5

Map updated.


Kazadar Soranath wrote:
ah didnt see that lone little line. If i 5ft step right i should then be able to see the aforementioned intersection

I'm pretty sure you don't have line of sight even after a 5' step in any direction. Just to clarify, no one is grappling Gil right now - she is unconscious (although Rod will probably revive her with his channeling on the next action - we are getting a bit all over the place here due to my lack of response for a day or two). You might need to reconsider your action, or at least put the wall/ring where you can see it.


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

1. nowhere in the Blade Barrier spell is line of sight mentioned, for starters. Theoretically, I could center it on the centermost square of a 15x15 pillar. The spell doesnt actually take effect where it is centered, that's just an arbitrary place around which it is centered. Much as I could do a wall of flames around the center of the same pillar. Its effect does not fall into any of the categories requiring line of effect or line of sight.

2. i see what you are saying now, the entire wall was not rendering on my phone (it was showing as only 1-square long, which made no sense to me at the time, hence my calling it a "lone little line"). but the point above should still stand.

if the action is still forbidden, then i will change it. i'm just relatively adamant about doing it because it's on the short list of things i can actually meaningfully contribute.


Naturally, the rules aren't explicit on how area and line of effect works for wall spells, but this is what they say about line of effect generally from the Magic chapter in the core rulebook:

"Line of Effect: A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect. A line of effect is canceled by a solid barrier. It's like line of sight for ranged weapons, except that it's not blocked by fog, darkness, and other factors that limit normal sight.

"You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast.

"A burst, cone, cylinder, or emanation spell affects only an area, creature, or object to which it has line of effect from its origin (a spherical burst's center point, a cone-shaped burst's starting point, a cylinder's circle, or an emanation's point of origin).

"An otherwise solid barrier with a hole of at least 1 square foot through it does not block a spell's line of effect. Such an opening means that the 5-foot length of wall containing the hole is no longer considered a barrier for purposes of a spell's line of effect."

Note that it says ""You must have a clear line of effect to any target that you cast a spell on or to any space in which you wish to create an effect. You must have a clear line of effect to the point of origin of any spell you cast." It isn't all that clear is what the point of origin is in the case of a wall spell. But it is is also worth pointing out that there are actual masonry walls blocking the line of effect of the Blade Barrier - it's not clear to me that it's legal to have a spell stop at one side of a wall and recommence on the other side, especially if the line of effect for a wall spell is taken to be the shape the wall forms (or is intended to form). If that shape is blocked by solid barriers, then the spell cannot form beyond those barriers.

So I guess I'm saying that you can form up the spell in any open space you can find (and see, to cast into) but not if there are solid barriers in the way.


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

wow, that makes the spell almost entirely useless for its purpose. that means that i would need to cast it only in open spaces, as i would need to see every single space into which a wall would appear, and for the circular wall version, i would also need to have clear line of sight from the center of the effect to every single section of the wall in a circle. even enemies larger than medium size could potentially block it as if it were the light of a torch.

i'll have to think on what an alternate action would be, as i'm not really content with measly warhammer damage in a fight like this, all enemies have spell resistance so most of my spells are useless. i'll post in a bit once i figure it out or just treat me as if i were delaying if you like.


5/70 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: Unconscious; 120915 xp after Manfred
Kazadar Soranath wrote:

wow, that makes the spell almost entirely useless for its purpose. that means that i would need to cast it only in open spaces, as i would need to see every single space into which a wall would appear, and for the circular wall version, i would also need to have clear line of sight from the center of the effect to every single section of the wall in a circle. even enemies larger than medium size could potentially block it as if it were the light of a torch.

i'll have to think on what an alternate action would be, as i'm not really content with measly warhammer damage in a fight like this, all enemies have spell resistance so most of my spells are useless. i'll post in a bit once i figure it out or just treat me as if i were delaying if you like.

Not taking a side, but pointing out that "enemies larger than medium size" are nowhere defined as a solid barrier. They are called out in the spell description as a valid placement of the spell in question, anyway, which trumps general rules.

Are you able to make the spell area smaller than the maximum to fit inside the area that Aubrey's ruling allows?


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

i could make it smaller, sure, but i could not target the area, would only get H1 and H2 which are not as big of a threat as I, and making the area smaller doesn't pack the CC-punch.

I'll just do Chains of Light on I. DC 23 reflex. Lasts 11 rounds.


Gil wrote:
Kazadar Soranath wrote:

wow, that makes the spell almost entirely useless for its purpose. that means that i would need to cast it only in open spaces, as i would need to see every single space into which a wall would appear, and for the circular wall version, i would also need to have clear line of sight from the center of the effect to every single section of the wall in a circle. even enemies larger than medium size could potentially block it as if it were the light of a torch.

i'll have to think on what an alternate action would be, as i'm not really content with measly warhammer damage in a fight like this, all enemies have spell resistance so most of my spells are useless. i'll post in a bit once i figure it out or just treat me as if i were delaying if you like.

Not taking a side, but pointing out that "enemies larger than medium size" are nowhere defined as a solid barrier. They are called out in the spell description as a valid placement of the spell in question, anyway, which trumps general rules.

Are you able to make the spell area smaller than the maximum to fit inside the area that Aubrey's ruling allows?

Yeah, for future reference, I'm talking about walls and stuff, not actual targets as blocking line of effect. This is a bit of an awkward situation because its not a huge space. That said, you could put it as a straight wall and see who you catch. But we'll go with your current action.

Also note that the wall is still useful for blocking tactical movement - I remember when Ez cast Wall of Force in the middle of the warforged fight just outside the facility at Eston. I was worried I'd overdone the whole thing and was about to get a TPK, and then he cast that spell, split their forces, and changed the whole fight. And that didn't even do any damage (though it did kibosh their archers).


Chains of glowing light wrap around the slender figure at the end of the corridor, reaching up to hold them tight. But somehow they struggle free and the spell fizzles.

You rolled successfully to overcome SR above. Reflex save 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

If we assume that Rod does his channeling, then it's H1 next. He can try another save. 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (15) + 14 = 29 That'll do.

The giant blinded by Gil wipes his eyes, squeezes in through the doorway and flies to the middle of the room before trying to sweep Janosz's feet from under him with his glaive.

H1 is going for a trip on Janosz. 1d20 + 24 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 24 + 2 = 37 v Janosz's CMD.

Gil is probably conscious right now, and can chip in with an action at any point. In the meantime, it's Ez.

Map updated.


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

yeah the wall needs to do damage to truly matter. We have enemies who don't need any help making their saves, SR is making everything i do moot. And the wall, if it did no or little damage, also hinders our movement and we are already having a hard time moving without being subject to trip/grapple.


HPs: 89 [77] / 69, APs: 11/5 Effects: Con Drain 1, Con Damage 1 Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 12

Ezreal focuses on shredding the spell suffocating him, but the process of casting is one long choked exhalation.

Dispel Magic: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28 +2 = 30
AP: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 2) = 3

So do I need a Fort save now?


HPs: 89 [77] / 69, APs: 11/5 Effects: Con Drain 1, Con Damage 1 Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 12

that could have been clearer. I need a fort save if I take an action other than breathing, but if the action I took shut down the breathing problem is the save still required? I wasn't 100% sure how that worked before I started.


Kazadar Soranath wrote:
yeah the wall needs to do damage to truly matter. We have enemies who don't need any help making their saves, SR is making everything i do moot. And the wall, if it did no or little damage, also hinders our movement and we are already having a hard time moving without being subject to trip/grapple.

I wouldn't get so down - their SR isn't that high, and you aren't doing that badly. This is a sort of tricky situation, with the grappling and tripping and so on, with which the party hasn't been confronted much to date. I thought it might be fun - for me - to stretch you all a little bit. We are entering some quite high levels now, it's kinda my responsibility to make things tricky otherwise it could be just a cakewalk given the increasing power level of the party in general.


Ezreal Farlowe wrote:
that could have been clearer. I need a fort save if I take an action other than breathing, but if the action I took shut down the breathing problem is the save still required? I wasn't 100% sure how that worked before I started.

No, you are fine - the power description makes clear that the Fort save happens at the end of your turn, so if you dispel the effect before then you don't have to save. Which you succeeded at.

Ezreal dispels the unpleasant effect that was hampering his breathing.

Hal.


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
I wouldn't get so down - their SR isn't that high, and you aren't doing that badly. This is a sort of tricky situation, with the grappling and tripping and so on, with which the party hasn't been confronted much to date. I thought it might be fun - for me - to stretch you all a little bit. We are entering some quite high levels now, it's kinda my responsibility to make things tricky otherwise it could be just a cakewalk given the increasing power level of the party in general.

yeah, honestly i'm just displeased because i am doing poorly. it is to be expected for the difficulty to be ramped up, can't really blame anyone for that. i just see things going south and think back to decisions i made. "if i'd done that instead of this, this would have been better" and so on. It doesn't help my mood when they consistently save against every big-ticket spell i have, and how i consistently roll single-digit dice against their SR.


5/70 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: Unconscious; 120915 xp after Manfred

Does a swift action spell provoke AoO? Can I cast a swift-action spell and a standard action spell in the same round?


Hp 68 of 83; Active Effects: Nil; Human Male Cleric 6/ Exorcist of the Silver Flame 6

I think you can cast a swift action spell and standard action spell in the same round. A swift action spell does I think provoke an AOO if your spell casting would normally provoke an AoO.


5/70 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: Unconscious; 120915 xp after Manfred

That's what I thought, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I will have to work her action out later. It won't affect anyone else's action.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

I am prone. How is H3 looking, healthwise?

Also, are Selkatari and Havakhad doing anything, or are they just hanging out watching us getting ground into paste?


Gil wrote:
That's what I thought, but I wanted to get a second opinion. I will have to work her action out later. It won't affect anyone else's action.

Casting a spell as a swift action does NOT provoke an AoO per the rulebook - official.


Haladon repeats the same actions as before; healing himself and continuing to fire at one of the ogre mages.

Swift action: lay on hands on self.
Lay on Hands: 6d6 ⇒ (3, 4, 4, 4, 6, 5) = 26

Full attack action at H2. I believe H2 has soft cover due to Rod standing in the way.
Attack 1: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19. Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Attack 2: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25. Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Attack 3: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10. Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Inspired


5/70 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: Unconscious; 120915 xp after Manfred

With a tiny gesture and a word, the erstwhile unconscious changeling disappears from under the arm of the giant that was pinning her to the ground. The monster's arm falls to the ground.

If you have true seeing or see invisibility:
Gil has become ethereal. She goes through the actions of casting another spell and swiftly moves toward the party.

Aubrey:
If I understand correctly, her swift etherealness will make her invisible to most in the room and she can cast a spell on herself before moving half speed. She's following up the ethereal state with fly and using her move action to move to rejoin the rest of the group. I think the etherealness lasts through the next round. I'm not 100% sure if she has a 60' move from fly or half that because of the ethereal state, but she is moving directly south from her current location.


H2 29
Janosz 26
HC 19
H3 17+
Kazadar 16
Father Rod 15-
H1 13
Ezreal 7-
Haladon 6
Gil 5+
Inspired 5

Haladon's arrow strikes home as Gil mysteriously disappears. The leader at the far end of the corridor steps to one side.

Gil:

Spoiler:
OK, your movement rate is half. However, you don't need to cast Fly to move up and down, you just can move in whichever direction you choose, including through walls. If you do cast Fly, your movement rate would be 30'. Please give me a square.

To answer Janosz, H3 looks fairly chipper. Selkatiri and Havakhad assumed the big brave PCs could handle the trouble. I suppose they might get involved if the PCs look in dire trouble. In game terms, Havakhad is an old geezer and Selkatiri is sheltering him with her body.

A giant takes out his enormous glaive and stabs at Kazadar.

H2 goes for Kaz
1d20 + 23 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 23 - 3 = 40 to hit, damage 2d6 + 16 + 9 ⇒ (2, 4) + 16 + 9 = 31
AAAAARGH! Potential crit!
1d20 + 23 - 3 ⇒ (8) + 23 - 3 = 28 to confirm, extra damage 4d6 + 32 + 18 ⇒ (5, 4, 6, 6) + 32 + 18 = 71


Hp 68 of 83; Active Effects: Nil; Human Male Cleric 6/ Exorcist of the Silver Flame 6

Remember that Rod healed everyone for 16 points his round, for what it's worth.


5/70 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: Unconscious; 120915 xp after Manfred

Aubrey:
Good point. Change of plans. She casts greater invisibility instead and takes advantage of the ethereal movement. When the ethereal wears off at the end of her next turn, she will still be invisible.

She will move to AJ33 this round - half of her normal 30' move since she's not flying.


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

hit but not crit luckily.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

My turn? Could I have an updated map?


Your turn, I believe. The map is up to date.

Map updated.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

I'm in a bad spot - I lack the mobility to escape H3 and don't have the firepower to kill him outright. I'll attack H1 and hopefully take him down; along the way, I just have to eat the AoO from H3 (still better than switching to a melee weapon). Talk about unpalatable choices...

So - no move. Full attack on H1 using Point Blank Shot, Manyshot, Rapid Shot, and Clustered Shots. I am under the effects of Haste, Bless and Gravity bow.
Attack 1: 12+20+1(PBS)+1(Bless)+1(Haste)=AC 35, damage 4d6+6+2(PBS)=22 + 5 electricity + 10 fire.
Attack 2: 19!+20+1+1+1=AC 42, confirm roll 13+20+1+1+1=AC 36, damage 2d6+3+1=13x3=39+ 2 electricity + 5 fire.
Attack 3: 10+14+1+1+1=AC 27, damage 2d6+3+1=9 + 4 electricity + 6 fire.
Attack 4: 13+9+1+1+1=AC 25, damage 2d6+3+1=11 + 4 electricity + 3 fire.
Attack 5 (bonus from Haste): 11+20+1+1+1=AC 34, damage 2d6+3+1=13 + 2 electricity + 4 fire.


As you were tripped, you are prone. Unfortunately, that also means you can't fire a bow, as you can't do that while prone (except for crossbows). So you might need to think of something else.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Crap. If I stand up, I get AoOed back to the Shadow Marches. If I don't, I get killed next round. Decisions, decisions...

I'm drinking my Potion of invisibility. With some luck, the AoOs won't kill me outright, especially after Rod's oh-so-helpful healing.


AoOs on Janosz.

The giant looming over Janosz tries to smash him with its fists.

1d20 + 21 - 3 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 21 - 3 + 4 = 30 to hit, damage 2d6 + 11 + 6 ⇒ (3, 1) + 11 + 6 = 21

Meanwhile the other one stabs at him with its glaive where he lies on the floor.

1d20 + 23 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 23 + 4 = 38 to hit, 2d6 + 16 ⇒ (6, 6) + 16 = 28

I think you are still alive after that, so you get to drink your potion and disappear.

The giant commander charges at Kazadar.

HC 1d20 + 32 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 32 + 2 = 45 to hit, damage 4d6 + 20 + 1d4 ⇒ (2, 5, 2, 6) + 20 + (3) = 38

The giant closest to Janosz casts about for the now-invisible archer.

H3 50% miss chance - high = miss. 1d2 ⇒ 2 Miss.

Kaz, then Rod.

Map updated.


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

do the giants have to roll miss chance, i'm still in the darkness. If so and it misses, i'll cast a different spell, the below is assuming i'm hit

concentration dc 27: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (17) + 18 = 35
Kazadar casts Heal on himself defensively, regaining 120 HP


No, they have Darkvision.


Male Human Ranger 7/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

AoOs on Janosz.

The giant looming over Janosz tries to smash him with its fists.

1d20+21-3+4 to hit, damage 2d6+11+6

Meanwhile the other one stabs at him with its glaive where he lies on the floor.

1d20+23+4 to hit, 2d6+16

I think you are still alive after that, so you get to drink your potion and disappear.

The giant commander charges at Kazadar.

HC 1d20+32+2 to hit, damage 4d6+20+1d4

The giant closest to Janosz casts about for the now-invisible archer.

H3 50% miss chance - high = miss. 1d2 Miss.

One hit, one miss. I'm not dead yet! After disappearing, I use my move action to stand up.


Rod.


Hp 68 of 83; Active Effects: Nil; Human Male Cleric 6/ Exorcist of the Silver Flame 6

HC carries a sword and shield, so I am assuming he has 10 foot reach rather than 15 feet like the guys with the glaives; if we have seen him demonstrate greater than 10 foot reach I will re-think this action:

5 foot step to AJ 37. Cast Flame Strike so that it hits HC and H1 (and none of us) – unfortunately I don’t think its possible to locate the spell so that it gets three of these guys.

Caster Level check vs SR of HC: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15 (additional +2 vs evil outsiders)
Caster Level check vs SR of H1: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13 (additional +2 vs evil outsiders)

If that gets past their spell resistance they must make DC 21 reflex saves or take 10d6 ⇒ (4, 6, 4, 3, 1, 3, 2, 1, 2, 5) = 31 damage (save for half) -half is fire damage, half is holy damage.

And wow, those are some super crappy caster level checks ... guess I should have used an action point in there ...


I think you roll once per casting. If you want you can try an action point on that first check. More generally, you may need to consider tactics beyond beating them into submission.


Hp 68 of 83; Active Effects: Nil; Human Male Cleric 6/ Exorcist of the Silver Flame 6

Tactics beyond beating them into submission? That doesn't sound like us at all! You don't want us to ... negotiate with them do you?


5/70 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: Unconscious; 120915 xp after Manfred

There are other tactics? Wait, that avatar looked like Aubrey, but he's supposed to be away, so maybe...


Hardly my style either. Just wanted to ensure you consider all options beyond total victory. EDIT: cheeky!


5/70 hp, 0 nonlethal; Effects: Unconscious; 120915 xp after Manfred

:D


Bless +1 hit/vs fear Dwarf Fighter 1 / Cleric 8 / Sovereign Speaker 3; HP 116/116

i dont have a way to teleport. We could jump out the window and hope we pass close enough to a bridge to cast featherfall on us.

19,451 to 19,498 of 19,498 << first < prev | 380 | 381 | 382 | 383 | 384 | 385 | 386 | 387 | 388 | 389 | 390 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Eberron campaign. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2016 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.