Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Aubrey's Eberron campaign.

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


14,501 to 14,550 of 17,751 << first < prev | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | 290 | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | 296 | next > last >>

Rolund sighs in frustration at the answer.

"Let's try a different tack. Do you know of any other hosts the quori has?"


Ezreal Farlowe wrote:
Was the scrying successful?

Sorry, got a bit side-tracked...

Ezreal:

Spoiler:
Ezreal peers into his crystal focus. The twisting skeins in the rock seem to contort and writhe, reforming into an image of Lightbringer. He is marching across the bleak landscape of the Mournland, surrounded by other warforged. He seems to be in deep conversation with one, a lightly-armoured skirmisher model.


Sir Rolund ir'Kraal wrote:
"Let's try a different tack. Do you know of any other hosts the quori has?"

"No."


"What did the quori offer you in exchange for being its host?"


"The spirit knew of a site filled with riches. It would take me there. It whispered in my dreams. It wanted only knowledge of the process, the warforged project, and I could keep all of the treasure for my crew and me. I was deceived. It would not release me, it drove us to our deaths."


"Is there anyone in your crew unaccounted for?"


"I don't know what happened to the ones left to guard the entrance from the warforged. The once who came with me are all dead."


And?


"Do you know any of the quori's allies?"


"No."


"Did the quori mention any plans while you were its host?"


2 people marked this as a favorite.

"No."

You are pushing this Speak With Dead line - the power doesn't explicitly give you this ability, though I'm willing to rock with it to some extent, but an extended interrogation above and beyond what the spell would give I'm not really prepared to countenance. And I'm not going to give away the plot this way, especially stuff that I may not have decided on myself yet.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5
Gil wrote:
"Are you sure having four people when they were following one won't do that for us?"

Janosz growls something obscene and most probably anatomically impossible at Gil. "For all that they know, you lot could have been hiding in a house here in Eston while Lightbringer and I fooled around inside the bunker. I was thinking more along the lines of not revealing the tent or using flashy magicks. Also, we shouldn't dump Basher's wreck anywhere in the Mournlands - they'll probably think we murdered him. We're basically here on their sufferance, and we shouldn't put that to the test."

"Let's head out. The heavy armour stays in the tent - that means Gil and I walk. If we see anything, we run like our hair's on fire and unload the others when we get a little distance on our foes. Luckily most constructs are a bit on the slow side; that'll buy us time. Marching light will save us several days of camping in the Mournlands." He gives Rod and Rolund a sour look. "So, strip down to your chainshirts, or stay in your rooms."


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

I'm good, either way. If y'all want to move real fast, though, I got nothing to accomodate that.


63/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred
Janosz Frogshanks wrote:
Janosz growls something obscene and most probably anatomically impossible at Gil.

The apparently-half-elven lass smirks and winks at the ranger. "Careful what you ask for, handsome. You don't know what this anatomy is capable of." She laughs, "And I've no intention of showing you!"

"I'm hopeful we can bring the big lug back - he had grown on me and he only did what we asked. I wasn't planning on dumping him anywhere. And if it comes to hustling, I can double our speed for a short time - enough to get ahead and out of sight - and invisible - while we plan our next move."


"I will walk as well. I've no desire to continue hiding from our pursuers. My eyes are better suited to the gloom of this place, besides."

The Valenar does not seem pleased with the idea of moving away from the location of their captive friend, but he understands the wisdom in doing so.


So, is it the squad of Runzyl, Gil and Janosz walking with the others in the tent?


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Yeah, pretty much. We're fast, with good Perception and Stealth skills and should be able to avoid most trouble. And if we can't, Gil can turn us invisible while we run away.


HPs: 71/71, APs: 10/4 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

On that first morning surrounded by candles and the smoke of incense, Ezreal sits staring deeply into his focus crystal until he finds Lightbringer.

"Lightbringer- keep walking and do not react. We are marching for Breland. The Lord of Blades has sent trackers to follow us at a distance and we are not prepared to fight him here in his territory now. Rolund has animated Ikar to keep watch and assist you should you escape for as long as he lasts. Be safe and keep your ears open. Learn what you can. We will find you wherever you are. I will be in touch."

Cast message.
1d100 ⇒ 35 1-50 = success
Perception DC 25 for the forged walking with him to overhear me.
He can reply if he wants and I will hear it.


Perception check: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

Ezreal:

Spoiler:
Lightbringer replies carefully, seemingly to the warforged he is talking to but actually to Ezreal. "There is much danger in the wider world, which I cannot ignore. But there are many souls here looking for peace. That peace can only come from the Flame, which asks merely for those who accept it to do of their best. It does not come from the Lord of Blades, who dominates and corrupts with false prophecies. I will do what I can for the souls here in the time that I have available to me."


The group of travellers beging tramping south along the road, away from Eston and heading for the distant Brelish border. The going is easy on the road and the shattered towers of the city gradually fall behind. To the west are the low hills which stand between the road and the lake shore. Eastward, the land is flatter and rolling, and before the Mourning was probably good farming, with the shells of farmhouses and barns in the distance. The road passes through a few towns and villages, although the adventurers detour round these, keen to avoid being trapped and attacked in their confined spaces. A few corpses are scattered about - field workers dying as they went about their business, wagons with the draft horses dead between the traces and the drivers slumped in their seats, a military column collapsing as they marched - all unnaturally uncorrupted like the soldiers at the shore.

The light is, as ever, cold and grey. Other than the sighing of the wind and their own footfalls, there is nothing but silence. Not the crystaline silence of the deep wilderness, an absence of civilisation filled with coiled potential and exhilaration. This is the silence of the sepulchre, dry and dusty, exhausted and indifferent. The Mournland plays its twisted games, dark thoughts and memories bubbling up in the minds of the walkers as they march. Without sight of the sun, the walk takes on a timeless quality, the nearest thing on Eberron to being trapped in the dread, spirit-sapping wastes of Dollurh. It is both nerve-wracking and depressingly boring at the same time.

An attack by some sort of denizen of death would almost be a relief, but nothing offers to break the monotony that first day.

OK, I'll ask you at the end of each day whether you intend to force the march at all Also, what will be your guard patterns. I assume you will be setting up the tent and so on each night.


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

sorry; kinda spotty atm.......reeeeeeeeeeeal long, gruelling week, overtime, kid sick with strep,......I'm totally wasted tired....


No worries - you are in the tent anyway, chilling with a pina collada while the guys outside have their minds rotted by the Mournlands.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

I'd prefer to avoid force marching; being fatigued all the time really sucks. We roll out the tent every night, so everyone gets a piece of the watch action. I have Darkvision, so I'll take a late shift.


OK, could you work out some shifts and we'll stick to those for the journey?


Runzyl only requires 4 hours of rest as an elf, so Gil can take first watch while there's still light out, Runzyl will be rested in time for second watch, and Janosz and Runzyl can take the dark watch together. This allows Gil and Janosz to both get 8 uninterrupted hours, too (assuming 4 hour shifts).


I assumed that the tent would be pitched up and the others (i.e. the non-walkers) can also take a watch - after all, it's the least they can do with their rather relaxing regime of fine food, good drink, massages and so on.


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
I assumed that the tent would be pitched up and the others (i.e. the non-walkers) can also take a watch - after all, it's the least they can do with their rather relaxing regime of fine food, good drink, massages and so on.

Then they might get a chance to escape before we sell the tent to the quori... oh, fine. They can be watchers, I guess. Janosz should be around for the night watch, though. How about this watch rotation?

1st watch - Gil, Bor & Rolund
2nd watch - Rodergo & Runzyl
3rd watch - Janosz, Ezreal & Runzyl

Ezreal rests during shifts 1 & 2, and Gil can get fully rested for her spells by 3rd shift's end. Everyone else who casts is a divine caster and doesn't require uninterrupted rest to recharge.


HPs: 71/71, APs: 10/4 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

That sounds good. Then Ez can take a nice nap inside the tent after his watch shift ;)


HPs: 71/71, APs: 10/4 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

Ezreal spends that first day through the Mournland pouring over the newly acquired spellbook with his own book open side by side quill in hand. Periodically he stops to explain a finer point of the process to Kadesh who perches on the desk beside him examining the book with his feathered head cocked to one side before getting bored and swooping down to savage a loose piece of string or anything else that might catch his interest. As he does, Ezreal snorts and gets back to work.

First Day:
Scroll: 8 hours, 500 gp to create
Command Undead 150
See Invisible 150
Mirror Image x2 300
Arcane Sight 375
Repair Light Damage 25

Scribe to Book:
Shield (2 hours, 10 gp)

One hour spent prepping spells and another spent scrying


63/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

Gil is reminded of the exo-suit when the watch schedules (and the ranger's darkvision) are discussed. She will open the portable hole during her watch and examine the unit to see if there is any hope of utilizing it again.

I need to review, but I believe it basically needed to sit long enough to charge back to full...


63/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

It appears to me that it should be operable again after a day in storage, but it's about half hit points after the battle with the mecha-kraken. If she realizes this, she will let Ezreal know in hopes that he can spare the occasional slot in his daily allotment for repair spells.


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
You are pushing this Speak With Dead line - the power doesn't explicitly give you this ability, though I'm willing to rock with it to some extent, but an extended interrogation above and beyond what the spell would give I'm not really prepared to countenance. And I'm not going to give away the plot this way, especially stuff that I may not have decided on myself yet.

Wasn't trying to find the plot, just asking questions Rolund would ask. Besides, he really doesn't trust Ikar. He knows its evil and doesn't trust any of its answers. He's just trying to trick him or trip him up with one of the questions in hopes of surprising an honest answer out of it.

Ikar will also be on guard duty during all the shifts. He'll warn the others to keep a partial eye on him to make sure he doesn't do anything maliciously. Once it looks like we're getting to the foggy border, Rolund will release Ikar on his task to track and possibly assist LB. Unless he gets destroyed with some random encounter along the way.


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

Note to self:
Pick Spells!!!


Wasn't trying to find the plot, just asking questions Rolund would ask.

No, I know, it's just he was asking questions I hadn't really thought about.


The night passes quietly. The unsettling presence of Ikar's shell standing sentinel doesn't help ease anyone's discomfort, although at least it doesn't tire and doesn't try small talk.


The the first half following day is much like the last - following the road south past fallen corpses and silent settlements. However, by the afternoon the landscape begins to change. The land is hillier, and the farms are replaced with more rugged forest. It might have benn scenic once, but the brown leaves are just a sad mockery of the areas former greenery. The road runs along a river in a wide valley, though the water is now replaced with a rusty brown sludge with a strong chemical smell. Eventually the way comes to an abrupt halt at a fallen bridge. The ground here seems oddly churned, with fallen trees on either bank mashed up againt the ground.


63/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

"Any idea what tore this up? I'm envisioning one of the huge 'forged. Maybe I should go aloft and scout? Or maybe you should," referring to Janosz.


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

knowledge: religion 1d20 ⇒ 18
knowledge: planes 1d20 ⇒ 7

for monster knowing stuff's.........


Knowledge (Nature) might work better. Also, you need to consider how to actually get across.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Know (nature) 11+14=25.

"Giant explosion, maybe? Big pocket of marsh gas lights up, throwing earth and trees everywhere. Or maybe the world's biggest mole dug up and... Nah. Probably not that."

"Gil, you can fly us across, right? Maybe we can enlist Ezreal's bird to look around first, though, from a safe height. Remember, it saw something unsettling in the chasm through Eston."


63/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

"Maybe so. You could fly invisibly across and let the rest of us out of the tent, too."


Janosz:

Spoiler:
How about a giant worm.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Janosz keeps poking around a bit longer. "I take back the mole comment, sorta. I'd say this is the work of one or more huge-ass worms. It might be gone now - not much to feed on here. But that's a chance I don't want to take. Gil, can you get the flying magicks going?"


The earth suddenly shudders as something very large begins to push itself out of the ground near Janosz's feet.

Roll initiative.


By the way, is the tent up?


Init: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16. We probably would've put up the tent since using Ezreal's bird as a scout had been mentioned. If we'd been idle for more than a few moments, almost certainly.


In that case, you've got it up (the tent, that is). The others can be assumed to be either outside or within a move action of getting outside, at their discretion.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Initiative 11+6=17.


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =125,535(cast as a 9th level cleric)

Init 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

first sign of trouble, Rodergo's out the door.

14,501 to 14,550 of 17,751 << first < prev | 286 | 287 | 288 | 289 | 290 | 291 | 292 | 293 | 294 | 295 | 296 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Eberron campaign. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.