Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Aubrey's Eberron campaign.

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


13,851 to 13,900 of 17,372 << first < prev | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | next > last >>

Pulling on the rope, Bor and Janosz drag Lightbringer towards the stairs. The attacking construct lashes him with a tentacle as he is pulled from its reach.

Map updated.

I'm assuming that LB is pulled 5' plus 5' for every multiple of 5 over the DC of 10, making 20'. However, the squid gets an AoO for his movement. Oh, and despite the poetic licence above, LB is still within reach.
1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 17 - 4 = 23 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (1, 6) + 7 = 14

Its initial prey dragged away, the mechanical monstrosity refocuses its predatory instincts on the nearest target: Gil in her armoured suit. It presses up the corridor, its tentacles opening out to grip its prey and the drill extending and whirling.

Move forward 5', and a tentacle attack. If that hits, it will attempt to grapple. If that succeeds, it is close enough to bring its drill to bear.
1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 17 - 4 = 16 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (6, 1) + 7 = 14. If that hits, 1d20 + 25 - 4 ⇒ (20) + 25 - 4 = 41 CMB v Gil's CMD. If that hits, Gil is grappled and the drill automatically hits for 3d8 + 10 ⇒ (7, 4, 4) + 10 = 25 damage. All this damage ignores adamantine DR.


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

The attack missed.

LB


Sorry for the absence, Runzyl would also be assisting with the rope since fighting underwater is really not going to accomplish anything.


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =116,385(cast as a 9th level cleric)

yeah; not much I can do.


Lightbringer lays hands to himself as a swift action, then attempts a called strike on a tentacle with his dagger, piercing (assuming he is still within their reach).

3d6 ⇒ (4, 3, 2) = 9 healing.
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12, Damage: 1d4 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11 (-2 penalty for ‘easy’ called shot and penalty for power attack factored into attack roll).


I suppose we can't five foot step in this terrain?


I haven't imposed movement penalties in this fight, so you can. If I was looking at it again I would, but it's a bit late for this fight. The underwater combat rules don't mention movement penalties, but I suspect they assume people will be swimming.


Rolund almost finds himself in a collision with the Purified warforged as it was pulled back from the squidlike construct. However, he steps aside and assists the Purified in attacking the tentacle still within reach.

5’ move to R16.
Full round action: Easy called shot on tentacle.
Attack (-2 called shot, -2 slashing): 1d20 + 13 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 13 - 4 = 10. Damage (1/2 slashing): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7.

Gil


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

Gil will back up a step and try to burn the tentacles reaching past her again.

Use Magical Device 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (17) + 18 = 35

Fire Lance ranged touch attack 10' range 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 not including penalty for called shot

Damage 10d6 ⇒ (6, 5, 3, 3, 4, 4, 3, 1, 1, 5) = 35


By the way, Gil needs to remember to make her flaming-death-in-the-man-shaped-metal-coffin roll each time she does stuff like this.

Rolund, Lightbringer and Gil try to blunt the automaton's attacks, but fail to scratch its armour.

Ez / Basher / Rod / Runzyl. I stuck Runzyl at the end of the initiative to put him in somewhere. If you aren't doing anything, or just assisting Bor on the rope, we can move to that but I'll give you a chance to think of something clever.

Current initiative order:
Bor 17
Janosz 15+
The lurker 15-
LB 11+
Rolund 11-
Gil 10
Ez 7+
Basher 7-
Rod 5
Runzyl 4

Map updated.


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =116,385(cast as a 9th level cleric)

I'm just chilling; if anybody wants a buff, let me know.


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

Sorry. Here are retroactive rolls for power suit failure:

3% failure chance prior to first use of fire lance
Failure check (01 - 03 fails) 1d100 ⇒ 54

6% failure chance prior to second use of fire lance
Failure check (01 - 06 fails) 1d100 ⇒ 25


OK - I guess no one is doing anything before Bor: OK, Bor's STR check please, plus assist rolls from those who are doing so (Runzyl and Janosz at last count).


HPs: 71/65, APs: 10/6 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, False Life, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

Sorry- Ez is on perpetual delay here. If that changes I will jump in with a post.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

STR check Bor 12+6+2(Bull's STR)=20. Aid Another for Janosz 10+2=12, Aid Another for Runzyl 8+4=12. Total check result becomes 24.


I don’t think LB is currently grappled, correct Aubrey? He broke free again last turn. Can LB make an opposed strength check to try to avoid being pulled back? If so: Str: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8.


You can, but you fail.

With another heave, Lightbringer is dragged virtually to the surface.

Those on the surface can see LB, and he can stand up if he wants. AoO on LB: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 7 - 4 = 13 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (2, 3) + 7 = 12.

The creature pursues Gil down the hallway as she backs up.

Same routine as before: tentacle attack, attempt to grapple and the drill. Tentacle: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (17) + 17 - 4 = 30 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 5) + 7 = 17, if that is successful a grapple attempt 1d20 + 25 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 25 - 4 = 37 v CMD, and if that is successful the drill 3d8 + 10 ⇒ (3, 3, 3) + 10 = 19.


LB.

Map updated.


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

The Gilbot has been grappled.


Lightbringer is dragged back up to the surface. He emerges from the water to the waist, dripping, with several large rents and tears evident in his adamantine plating.

“Ezreal, Flamebearer, please undo this rope,” the warforged calls, supposing that one of the relatively nimble humans will have a better chance of undoing the wet knot than he will. “A construct guardian lurks below – suited for movement through water and bearing long adamantine tipped tentacles. It has damaged me and has Matilda’s suit in its clutches. I must get back down there to help her. We have made little headway in damaging it so far.”

LB will delay for a moment; If Ez or Rod is willing to spend an action undoing the rope, he’ll then head back down into the action, holding (rather than being tied to) the end of the rope. On his turn he’ll also spend a swift action to lay hands to self for 3d6 ⇒ (5, 3, 2) = 10.

By the way Aubrey, can LB figure out what this thing’s reach is?


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =116,385(cast as a 9th level cleric)

I'll undo the rope;

roll if needed
1d20 ⇒ 17


It's about 40'.

Rodergo swiftly undoes the rope.

Roly, then Gil.


Seeing the Purified has been dragged to safety, Rolund drops his everburning torch to gently float to the bottom while he grips his sword in two hands to free the changeling.

Free action: drop everburning torch.
Full round action: Easy called shot on tentacle grappling Gil.
Attack (-2 called shot, -2 slashing):1d20 + 13 - 4 ⇒ (3) + 13 - 4 = 12. Damage (1/2 slashing):1d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10.

Gil


Miss on the tentacle.


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

Gilbot failure check (1 - 9 indicates failure) 1d100 ⇒ 82

Since the creature has pulled Gil close to drill on the suit, she decides to give it more to gnaw on, drawing back to slug it right in the drill bit.

Hammer Hand (called shot) 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14

Blast it!

Note: Next round, 11% failure chance


Assuming Ez doesn't want to jump in here... Basher, then Rod, then Runzyl.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Jesus H. Christ. Have any of us rolled an attack roll above 7 yet?

"Any chance of roping in whatever it is down there?", Janosz asks Lightbringer, anxiously pacing the mouth of the flooded stair.


Neither Gil nor Rolund seem able to scratch this creature.


Even if we can / do hit it I’m not sure we are overcoming its DR, especially underwater. I had planned to just try to get Gil out of there, but ...

“I will explore the possibility of trying to drag the guardian up to the surface,” says Lightbringer before ducking back below the water.

On his delayed turn (after Rod has untied him) LB takes the rope in hand and moves back to R17.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =116,385(cast as a 9th level cleric)

I'm just chilling; you know. There for moral support.
I'll put a comforting hand on the shoulder of anybody who needs one.
Proffer a canteen of water maybe.


If we can’t drag it up, our best bet might be to get everyone out of the water and then cast some big area effect spell(s) down into the water; I can’t recall off the top of my head how fireballs and lightning bolts interact with large bodies of water in 3.5 / PF ...


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

I believe the surface of the water is generally considered to block the line of effect. Some spells you can cast above water or below water, but not through the surface. (Of course, that might be 3.5 coming to mind and not apply in PF.)


Bor / Janosz, then the lurker. I feel I should point out that you are giving up so many actions standing about on the surface. This shouldn't be that tough a fight, even with the unusual elements, for a party comprising of seven characters and two NPCs.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

"Load your crossbow and then give it to me, Bor. Unlike my longbow, it'll work underwater."

AS LB takes off with the rope, I was thinking Bor could wind his crossbow. Janosz then grabs it and heads for the stair.


Assume you start at a square just west of Basher, and then have a move action.

Map.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Janosz takes a deep breath and dives into the cold water, crossbow held tightly to his chest.

I think I can get to T19. Should I make a Swim check? I'll try to pop off a shot next turn and the return to the surface.


HPs: 71/65, APs: 10/6 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, False Life, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

Ezreal activates the wand of water breathing again when Janosz indicates he is heading in. "Just a moment Frogshanks." The wand flares and he nods, "Okay. Gods be with you. Wreck that machine."

Generally the surface of water doesn't block line of effect, but if your spell requires an attack roll it makes it a b@~~% to hit.
If you are on land the target gets +8 AC, +4 Reflex save and whether you are on land or nto, you take a -2 penalty for every 5 foot square your spell has to pass through.
Fire spells are an exception. Their line of effect IS blocked by water.

There is also the element of the unknown:

prd wrote:
Some spells might function differently underwater, subject to GM discretion.

I prepped 2 significant damage spells. Both are fire. It will most likely be immune to the offensive necromancy spells I prepped. Most of the other things I have ready are not applicable here.

I would throw some magic missiles, but if I am understanding that map correctly I would need to get into the water and make a U turn before I could see the lurker. I would be in his tentacle range all that time and likely provoke and be grappled instantly.

EDIT: I could convert the fireball and/or scorching ray I have prepped into electricity with the universalist metamagic ability and empower the electric fireball with the spellshard if we need to AoE bomb it.


Janosz Frogshanks wrote:
I think I can get to T19. Should I make a Swim check? I'll try to pop off a shot next turn and the return to the surface.

You should make one as you aren't heavy like the armoured dudes and so can't just walk underwater. The water is perfectly still - DC 10. As you've doubtless noticed, Ez has just bopped you with a Water-breathing.


Two tentacles on Gilbot:
T1: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (6) + 17 - 4 = 19 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (6, 5) + 7 = 18
T2: 1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (7) + 17 - 4 = 20 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (1, 5) + 7 = 13
Gil hasn't tried to shake off its grapple, so it does some more automatic damage with the drill: 3d8 + 10 ⇒ (3, 1, 8) + 10 = 22

The mechanical kraken tightens its grip, its drill scoring a fractured line across the glass front of Gil's golem suit. A feminine voice inside the suit makes Gil start as it begins to politely intone, "Warning: hull integrity in danger of being compromised."

LB, then Rolund, then Gil.

Map updated.


LB is not in the correct position on the map, he moved to R17. He tries another called shot on one of the tentacles grappling Gil. 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22 damage 1d4 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =116,385(cast as a 9th level cleric)

"I guess make me waterbreathe too. I'll go in; see if I can put some spells to this thing's hide."


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Swim check 11+11=22.


HPs: 71/65, APs: 10/6 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, False Life, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

"Sorry Father. The wand only functions twice per day. We' are on our own now if we have to swim it."


This is useless. Rolund thoughts turn bleak. We’re not injuring this thing.

However, inspiration comes quickly when the Purified warforged joins the small band attacking the construct squid. Momentarily, stopping his futile attacks, Rolund grasps the rope the warforged brought with him and sends it at the squid’s drill.

I’m hoping we have enough rope for what I’m trying to accomplish. Essentially, I’m hoping the rope coils around the drill to jam it or at the least wraps around it for the others on land to start pulling the whole squid out of the water. Of course, this is assuming the drill doesn’t shred the rope.

I’m not sure what kind of action is required but I suspect a called shot for the rope to wrap around the drill may be necessary.

Full round action (tricky called shot? touch attack?): throw rope at drill.
Attack (-5 tricky called shot, -2 ranged): 1d20 + 9 - 5 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 9 - 5 - 2 = 16 plus action point (best of 2d6) 2d6 ⇒ (5, 6) = 11. Damage: special.

Gil


m ROD! CLERIC 6 EXORCIST SLVR FLAME 5exp =116,385(cast as a 9th level cleric)

S+&#.
This is great.

I'll get on the rope. It'll be like one of those cheesy managerial trust building exercises.

then Rolund and me will go away from the exercise with a better interpersonal working relationship.


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

Gil, deciding that letting that drill work on her was not going to be a long-term option, works to free herself from the metallic creature's grasp.

CMB Check 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35

She will stand her ground to keep the creature from the party members behind her.


Gil breaks free of the tentacles - for the moment.

Just to be clear, the kraken can do what it wants more or less the entire length of the corridor due to its 40' reach. So you standing there isn't going to make much difference. So if you want to move, you can do that.

Re Rolund: I see what you are trying to do, but I've never seen underwater lassooing, probably for a reason. I think if you want to grab the thing with the rope, you will have to move closer. You can reconsider your actions if you want.


Technically, I’m not throwing a lasso at the squid. I’m having the squid’s drill do most of the work in wrapping the rope around it. If Rolund is too far, I’ll have him move up and throw the rope next round. Hopefully, I can use the same rolls earlier.

Standard action: total defense (AC 30).
Move action: move to O16.


68/70 hp; Effects: None; 120915 xp after Manfred

Yeah, I thought as much, but she's not going to push past Rolund and LB to get behind them. Approaching it without a stated plan doesn't seem wise, either.

I forgot this again, one system failure check coming up:

01 - 11 indicates power failure 1d100 ⇒ 28

Next check: 12%

EDIT: Rolund posted an update while I was typing, but it really doesn't change anything for Gil. Except she's less likely to retreat now.


OK, understood. Rolund can keep those rolls until next round. Meanwhile, Rolund takes an AoO:
1d20 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (8) + 17 - 4 = 21 to hit, damage 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (2, 3) + 7 = 12.

As he presses forwards, Rolund bats aside the attack from the kraken-mechanism's tentacle.

Current initiative order:
Bor 17
Janosz 15+
The lurker 15-
LB 11+
Rolund 11-
Gil 10
Ez 7+
Basher 7-
Rod 5

Ez / Basher / Rod / Bor - all on the rope, as far as I know, so unless they wish to interject, Janosz.

Map. I need to update it for Rolund's move, which I shall do tonight.

13,851 to 13,900 of 17,372 << first < prev | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 | 278 | 279 | 280 | 281 | 282 | 283 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Eberron campaign. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.