Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Aubrey's Eberron campaign.

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


51 to 100 of 17,299 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

HPs: 71/65, APs: 10/6 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, False Life, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

Should I post a second action and consider my last post to have been pre-combat beginning, or let it stand as round 1 action? Wanted to be clear since we posted at about the same time. (I was mid post when yours went up.)
My current spells are less than impressive, but as marked on my sheet :) I'll ooc note it when trading out daily allotments.


No, I think casting a spell and standing up are reasonable actions in the pre-fight segment. At the moment you are last in the initive order - best wait and see what happens, and anyway, combat won't be that fast on pbp.


init roll = 11


as for spells i dont have a book on me so bless and shield of faith are fine for know, guess i just forgot to write them down


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Initiative =12. I go for one of the gnolls, trying to get Trose a flanking opportunity. I don't have an "improvised Weapons" proficiency, so I just poke him with the dagger. Once we drop the gnoll, I take his axe, though.


Runzyl sees the gnolls release the woman and prepare their weapons. Wasting no time, Runzyl bolts forward towards the gnoll closest to the center of the group, literally hurling himself into their midst. With a fearsome yell, he leaps over one of the intervening tables and comes crashing down on the hapless creature with his blade leading the way.

These rolls are insane! Activating Whirling Frenzy at the start of the action. Jump Check: 18 + 8 = 26 to clear the tables and chairs. Charging attack: 19 + 8 = 27 (critical threat! confirmation 18 + 8 = 26) Damage (1d6+7x2): 21 ...wow. Dead gnoll?


With a meaty ripping noise, Runzyl's blade disembowels the lead gnoll and it falls wordlessly among its own coiled guts in a pool of blood.

Not bad for a loosener/warm-up!

The man face twists in an expression somewhere between rage and fear. He slams his dagger into the back of the woman and she collapses with a strangled gasp. He turns and makes for the door to the kitchens, crashing through the swing door. A gruff female shout comes up from the kitchen, "What in the name of the Host are you doing in my kitchen, obok?"

Anyone speak Goblin?

OK, let's do the definitive initiative list:
Runzyl 21
Bad guy 21
Nox 13
Janosz 12
Trose 11
Lightbringer 11
Gnolls 8
Ezreal 5

Runzyl and the bad guy have had their's, over to Nox.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Any... synergy between Orcish and Goblin? I move forward and pick up the fallen gnoll's axe, before going after the last gnoll


Janosz Frogshanks wrote:
Any... synergy between Orcish and Goblin? I move forward and pick up the fallen gnoll's axe, before going after the last gnoll

Nope, no synergy. You are also about 20' away from the action. To do what you propose would require a move down the room and you would take a possible two attacks of opportunity from the gnolls while bending to retrieve the weapon. As it isn't your go, I'll let you reflect on that until after Nox.


For what it's worth, I was trying to put myself into the middle of the group such that any of them trying to flee would provoke AoOs from me. This also prevents them from engaging other opponents unless they want to tempt my blades (or if they stand still and let the fight come to them, they won't provoke AoOs but I'll cut 'em down next round). I'm aware that I probably can't get into position to threaten ALL of them, but hopefully I'll get 2 at least.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Janosz barks a fierce Orcish warcry as he punces upon the nearest gnoll, driving his dagger into its flank.

Don't want those nasty, nasty AoO's... I just move up to the gnoll and stick it with the knife. Attack roll: 14+3=AC 17. If that is a hit, it takes 5 points of damage. If possible, I end my turn in a position that Trose can flank


OK, you are out of initiative order, but never mind. If you are plunging into the middle of the group, Runzyl, you take two attacks of opportunity. Very generous, saving Janosz like that. Gnoll 1, roll to hit 20, damage 5; gnoll 2, roll to hit 17, damage 8. This should have happened before your attack, strictly speaking, but hey, initiative seems to have gone to hell already.

As Runzyl recovers from his leaping charge, the two reamining gnoll axes catch him, both giving him serious blows. Janosz charges one of Runzyl's attackers, causing a nasty flesh wound, matting the gnoll's fur with blood.


Hmm.... being a strong proponent of rules and initiative, I will wait for Nox


Nox gasps aloud and runs to the woman to check and heal her wounds.He starts chanting and focusing his divin energy into his hands and through to the womans wounds.
sry it took me so long.... cure spell does 6 points healing


Trose moves to flank the gnoll that Frogshanks just stabbed, slipping his short sword into an unprotected space just below the creature's armpit. hit roll of 21 (16 +3 for str +2 for flanking) for 9 points total (2 +3 for str +4 sneak attack) If possible I move so as to be threatening (and threatened by) 2 gnolls.
He looks around to see if there's anyone left who might be willing to help, and spotting the warforged (with the symbol of the Flame emblazoned on it's chest!) heading toward the fight, yells, "Get the human that fled to the kitchen! We'll handle his goons!"


The second gnoll collapses under the twin assaults of Trose and Janosz, blood gushing from the punctured artery under its arm. The womans eyes flutter open, and she struggles up on to her elbows and looks quickly around. Her expression turning from surprise to fear at the carnage around her.

NPC'ing Lightbringer for the moment, as Mothman said he might not be around. At Trose's shout, Lightbringer shakes his head and calls back, "No, I'm too slow!" At that moment, two more gnolls crash through the entrance, brandishing axes and roaring their belligerance. Lightbringer hurls himself at them, his huge sword curving in a deadly arc. One of the gnolls is cut down before it can defend itself. The bouncer still sits on his stool, frozen and with his eyes as round as saucers, as it drops at his feet.

Readied an action on his initiative to charge anything coming through the door, following the man's shout. On the gnoll's initiative, they come through the door, and Lightbringer has his action before they can act. Roll to hit = 16 + 3 + 2 for charging = 21. Damage = 11 + 3 = 14.

Two gnolls remain standing in the room, their jaws frothing with rage. The one facing Runzyl swings wildly, but stumbles in the entrails of its former companion and misses badly. The other, attacking Lightbringer, is cannier. The gnoll's axe finds a gap in Lightbringer's plating as he recovers his balance, cutting through some of the woody fibres underneath.

6 points of damage - 2 for DR = 4.

Ezreal's go.


HPs: 71/65, APs: 10/6 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, False Life, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

As the scene in front of him rapidly devolves into a grisly massacre, Ezreal's plan for minimal bloodshed is cast aside. Could he really expect any less from on of Valenar's savages and a thrall of Thrane? Now with the lot of them tangled in hacking each other to pieces there was no way he could catch the gnolls in his spell without also catching the ones opposing them. Then it would just be luck of the draw to see who was left standing and that wasn't good enough. The only thing left to do was disassociate himself from this grisly scene and chase after the architect- the one who's coin led to this whole confrontation. Mind made up, Ezreal breaks for the kitchen, fingers already dipping into a pouch at his side filled with mix of multicolored sands...

As he runs he shouts, "Leaving so soon, you spineless wretch?!"

_____________
MA: Chase 30'
SA: Readied action to cast Color Spray the second the ringleader turns back to look in his direction.
Spot check of (14+0=14) to hopefully not be caught flatfooted and stabbed in the throat when he goes through the kitchen doors.
AC currently 17 for 1 hour


Ezreal dash puts him dangerously close to the remaining gnoll in the tangle of Runzyl, Janosz, Trose and Nox. As he runs past it lashes out with its axe, sweeping past the protection of Ezreal's spell and cutting open his shoulder. Ezreal staggers on towards the kitchen door.

Man, everyone, including the opposition, are getting crazily high rolls (that was an unmodified 17)! The gnolls get their attacks of opportunity back as the counter is reset on their turn. Fortunately, "only" 5 points of damage (though that is quite to a lvl 1 mage). You can stop your run before you go through the kitchen door if you want, as you only have 1 hp left and may want to "reassess the situation" - up to you.

Anyway, back to the top. Runzyl's go.


Waiting for Ezreal to say if he is going through the kitchen door, and for Runzyl to make his next move.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Game mechanics-wise, can I pick up the fallen gnoll's axe, move up to the nearest gnoll (probably the one fighting Runzyl) and whack it with the axe? Or is that just too many actions? On my turn, of course...


Janosz Frogshanks wrote:
Game mechanics-wise, can I pick up the fallen gnoll's axe, move up to the nearest gnoll (probably the one fighting Runzyl) and whack it with the axe? Or is that just too many actions? On my turn, of course...

Yes, it has had its attack of opportunity for the round. Assuming it doesn't have Combat Reflexes, of course... Picking up is a move action, attacking is a standard action, and you are in melee range already (or at most a 5' step away).


HPs: 71/65, APs: 10/6 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, False Life, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

Ouch. I must have had the scene turned around backwards in my mind. I was thinking all of the gnolls and such were dragging the woman through the front door / exit and the other guy had run away from them to the other end of the establishment and through the kitchen doors. So I was not anticipating the AoO at all as in my mind I was running the opposite direction of the gnolls. Shows what I get for not reading carefully enough, but then I only had 15 minutes to get a post up or wait another day. For future reference though, I'll never intentionally move through squares threatened by anything that can kill me with one backhanded swipe.

Going after the guy would be suicidal now so I'll pass. Also I can't redirect the spell this turn as I understand, b/c I had readied it as an action with a different trigger. So I'm just gonna stand here and bleed for a minute.


Ah, I see. No, the gnolls and the man, at the start of the encounter, were half-way up the room. You, Lightbringer, Trose and Janosz were near the exit, while Nox and Runzyl were a bit closer. The party is now somewhat split up, with you by the kitchen door; Runzyl, Trose, Janosz, Nox, the lady and one gnoll still half-way up, and Lightbringer and a gnoll by the exit. The man, as I said, has run into the kitchen and is obscured by the swing door.


HPs: 71/65, APs: 10/6 Effects: See Invisible, Magic Circle Against Evil, False Life, Mage Armor Karnnathi Wizard (Universalist) 11

Well, it was my mistake. I learned my lesson ;) When I can I'll go ahead and swing the door open and cast, without stepping through. If he is in there waiting, maybe the cone will catch him whether I see him or not. Worst case scenario I knock out a few cooks for a little while. (Or a knife comes flying through the door as soon as I open it. We shall see...)


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

NPC'ing Lightbringer for the moment, as Mothman said he might not be around. At Trose's shout, Lightbringer shakes his head and calls back, "No, I'm too slow!" At that moment, two more gnolls crash through the entrance, brandishing axes and roaring their belligerance. Lightbringer hurls himself at them, his huge sword curving in a deadly arc. One of the gnolls is cut down before it can defend itself. The bouncer still sits on his stool, frozen and with his eyes as round as saucers, as it drops at his feet.

Thanks Aubrey, just right - and better rolls than I probably would have achieved!

Since Fatespinner cut down the gnoll who challenged me, I didnt get to use my line! "Actually, it's adamantine friend" ...

Looks like a while till Lightbringers next turn. He will, of course, continue battling the gnoll, seeing from the corner of his eye that someone appears to be tending to the woman.


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:


The gnoll's axe finds a gap in Lightbringer's plating as he recovers his balance, cutting through some of the woody fibres underneath.

6 points of damage - 2 for DR = 4.

Lightbringer risks a quick glance downwards as he feels the gnolls axe skid of his main plating and find a gap to the less protected portions underneath. He supposes if he was flesh and blood that would have hurt - as it is, the damage seemed relatively minor, and his ability to act - and fight - is unimpaired.

His eyes flash silver, and he stares at his remaining opponent, as he searches for an opening. "You shouldn't have done that friend," he states calmly.


OK, waiting for Runzyl...


Fatespinner doesn't appear to have posted for a few days, anywhere. I'll NPC Runzyl this evening (my time - it is 4.35pm here now) if we don't hear anything, to get the encounter going again.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

I'll be running around all over campus and beyond today, and might not be around when my turn comes. If Runzyl fails to drop his gnoll, Janosz drops the dagger, picks up the fallen gnoll's battleaxe (using it 2-H) and finishes the job for him. If Runzyl drops the gnoll, Janosz gathers up the axe and goes for the one by the door instead. Feel free to do the attack and damage rolls for me.


Recoiling in pain from his recent wounds, the frenzied elf barely seems to slow down, his blade sweeping into a low arc as he brings it back up in a wide slash across the remaining gnoll's throat.

Attack roll: 16 + 6 = 22; Dmg: 4 + 7 = 11

As the gnoll falls, Runzyl wastes no time in sprinting after the man with the dagger, leaping over tables and chairs with an uncanny and feral grace.

I'm assuming that all the gnolls I was surrounded by are now dead. If there are any still standing in melee range, I will change my action to full attacking to hit all of them. Otherwise, I got an 18 on my Jump check to clear obstacles and am now chasing the guy who stabbed the woman. My speed is 40 ft.


There is one gnoll left in the group you attacked - you didn't kill it. However, it has had its attack of opportunity so can't follow through as you run past. I'm also using a rule along the lines of "If it's in black, it happens" - I rather like the narrative to flow, and not be subject to rewind. And, with Trose and Janosz, I suspect the gnoll isn't going anywhere much, anyway.

Runzyl dashes for the swing door and kicks it open. Just behind it stands the object of his pursuit, the false Heris, who is being confronted by a female bugbear, dressed in a grey and stained apron and wielding what appears to be a rolling pin. Goblin serving staff cower by the sides of the room, the centre of which is dominated by a large table covered with viands awaiting preparation. The temperature is swelteringly hot due to the roaring stove on the right wall, and the back door in the far wall is open to let out some of the heat into the stormy night.

The man spins as the gory figure of Runzyl, covered in his own blood as well as those of his enemies, hurls himself into the kitchen. He goggles at the sight and makes an ineffectual attempt to stab the elf, missing by a large margin. The bugbear shrieks, "Malag, by the gods what is going on in there!" before descending into a series of Goblin curses, and aims a swipe at Runzyl's head with her rolling pin. This also misses, though not by much.

The man turns and bolts for the back door. Attack of opportunity for Runzyl.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

Janosz watched the gnoll with something akin to admiration - it had taken a nasty swing from the frothing elf, yet it was still stading as the berserker spun past it. Well - not for long... "This ends now", he snarls, as he grabs the fallen gnoll's axe with both hands and plants it squarely in the reeling gnoll's chest

Attack roll - another 14 +3= AC 17. Hit for 7+3 =10 points of damage. Ouch!

I have my back to the kitchen door, so whatever the baddie is up to in there is missed by me


Ouch indeed - Runzyl left it staggered on 0 hp, and it didn't even really get time to stagger anywhere.

Reeling from the vicious wound across its throat, the gnoll doesn't even see Janosz's axe coming. The rings of it's byrnie can't stave off the force of the blow, staving in its chest with a crunch of ribs snapping. It collapses, vomits blood and then lies still.

Runzyl's attack of opportunity, and then Nox's go.


"Tampa Nadorhuan!" Runzyl punctuates his elven statement with a low swipe of his blade, punishing the coward for his impudence.

Attack of Opportunity! Attack Roll: 15 + 6 = 21; Dmg: 2 + 7 = 9.

For those who speak Elven:

Spoiler:
Stop, you cowardly dog!


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
Fatespinner doesn't appear to have posted for a few days, anywhere. I'll NPC Runzyl this evening (my time - it is 4.35pm here now) if we don't hear anything, to get the encounter going again.

Yeah, I'm usually not on the boards over the weekend. I've got plenty of family stuff keeping me busy then. My board time is done at work, Monday-Friday. Sorry.


Runzyl's blow gives the man a fierce blow across the back as he flees, enough to cause him to gasp in pain but not enough to stop him. He runs out of the back door.

Just beyond, Runzyl can see that a narrow walkway seems to run around the exterior of the tower at the level at which the bar resides, on to which the back door opens. A waist-high stone parapet is all that protects those on the walkway from a long fall to Lower Dura. The man simply runs to the edge of the stone sill and vaults it, dropping from view over the other side.


Runzyl Steelsong wrote:
Yeah, I'm usually not on the boards over the weekend. I've got plenty of family stuff keeping me busy then. My board time is done at work, Monday-Friday. Sorry.

No problem - I know exactly where you are coming from. :-) Though I'm home now, as I find that my evening time is the best time to catch you guys in the US time zones.

Nox's go.


male Nerd Lazy bum 3/lumbering ox 2/gamer 15

With a grunt he pushes himself of his knees,"How dare you harm an unarmed woman." And with a roar he pulls out his sickle and shield and jumps into the fray.
I assume that takes up my actions, and in case it didnt I totaly rolled a 2 so i missed everything


Yep, unlimbered sickle and shield, that's you done. The only standing combatant now is Lightbringer's gnoll. Trose's go.


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
Trose's go.

And Lightbringers? Both Init 11...


Lightbringer ducks quickly, and swings his heavy blade quickly, below the snarling gnoll’s guard, biting right through the meagre armour at the creature’s belly. However, at the last moment the Daask ganger attempts to leap backwards to avoid the killer blow, and the paladin’s blade does not bite as deeply as it might have.

Blood sprays, spattering Lightbringer and the gaping bouncer. The force of the blow spins the heavy warforged around a quarter turn, and he can not immediately see if his blow felled the hyena faced creature. He attempts to bring his armoured shoulder to bear, should the creature still stand and be capable of returning his strike.

Attack roll: 18+3 = 21. Damage roll: 6+3 = 9. I don’t think that will drop him, unless he’s the runt of the litter.


Trose has a higher DEX and strictly goes first. However, I commend everyone for their enthusiasm, as much as you seem dedicated to making your rolls irrespective of the initiative rules. ;-) Also, given time differences and stuff, this could get drawn out if we get too anal. And yes, the gnoll is still there.

OK, Trose, your go.


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

Trose has a higher DEX and strictly goes first.

Right you are, I'd forgotten that ... But I also didn't want to miss the thrill of rolling my attack! In another few minutes I'll probably be logged off for the evening...


Trose moves to flank the last gnoll, considering the possibility of capturing it. Not knowing about half of the people on his side of the fight, he decides that ending the conflict peacefully is unlikely, and slips his blade below the creature's rib cage and up, into its vitals. 16 to hit, and 8 damage


The gnoll gasps, and slumps to the floor. You probably can't flank from there, but as you do a minimum of 4 damage anyway the gnoll will be going down.

OK, that is the all the combatants either taken down or fled. End of going on initiative.


Unaware of the situation inside, Runzyl pursues the knife-wielder to the edge of the ledge and peers over the side, trying to see where his target has fled to.


Male Human Ranger 6/Eldeen ranger (Gatekeeper) 5

"Didn't the last guy run out through here?". Janosz picks up his dagger again and walks over to the kitchen entrance before peering carefully inside.


"Are you ok?" Nox asks the woman, helping her stand and inspeting her wounds adn awaiting an awnser.
nox is going to stay with the woman in case more gnolls or anything else decides to show up and cause trouble


Runzyl peers over the edge, but the storm is driving rain into his eyes, obscuring his vision. However, over the other side of the parapet is a drop of at least 100' before the dark streets of Lower Dura are reached. Spot check from Runzyl, please.

Meanwhile, behind him, the bugbear cook is working herself up into a fury. Standing in the kitchen door and gazing at the carnage in the bar, she roars, "Malag, what by the Dark Six has been going in here?! Why is my bar full of dead gnolls? I don't know why I bother to employ you! If I wasn't married to you I would have sacked you years ago, daaj hrooth kor! What was my mother, Keeper take her, thinking of? Gods alone know what this will do to business."

The bouncer cringes under the verbal barrage and whines, "I told you before, baby, I'm a lover, not a fighter." His wife snorts, "Yeah, and you're not even good at that, either. At least drag the bodies outside so I can tidy up," before stomping to the back door. "Hey, pointy," she snarls at Runzyl, "you finished stargazing? Get the f#@# out of my bar, obok." She heads for a cupboard and gets out a mop and pail.

The woman gets to her feet, assisted by Nox. "Thanks," she stammers. "Look, I'm sorry, but I've got to get out of here." She starts making for the door, pushing past Nox and heading towards Trose and Lightbringer.

51 to 100 of 17,299 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's Eberron campaign. All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.