Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Aubrey's 4e Dark Sun

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


151 to 200 of 3,704 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 2, Athasian Minstrel [AC 16, F 13, R 16, W 15; HP 36/36 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +4; Spd 6; Passives - I 17, P 16]

With the elemental having taken out the third archer, it just leaves Arakan with the last one at this hilltop. He loads and fires without even looking to see if he succeeded or not, before riding off towards the other two nearby archers. If he can just scatter the archers then the others can focus on the heavy hitters inside the campsite.

Free, load hand crossbow.
Standard, Attack Sn4 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Move, lower right corner of inix to W49


Initiative order:
Skirmishers 25 (Sk3 marked by Calla, Sk4 marked by Calla/cursed by Irivis, Sk7 cursed by Irivis/marked by Calla)
Gorad 20 (unconscious, prone)
Calla 18 (cover from snipers)
Irivis 14 (cover from snipers)
Arakan 13
Snipers 10
Jareen 7 (unconscious, prone)
Riders 4 (Rider 3 cursed by Irivis)
Sleepers 0

Arakan's shot is wide, but his point is made. The lone sniper makes to join up with some companions, and the others that Arakan is heading for, make some evasive manoeuvres before opening fire.

Snipers 6 and 7 open fire on Arakan.
Sn6: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 v AC, damage 5
Sn7: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 v AC, damage 5

Jareen, meanwhile, gets to make a death saving throw.

The skirmishers gang up on Calla.

Sk3: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 v AC, damage 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Sk4: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10 v AC, damage 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Sk7: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 v AC, damage 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

The riders move over to where the fight is still going on. "Give it up!" yells one, brandishing his spear. The other circles round to cut off any escape.

Gorad gets to make his death saving throw.

Calla.

Map updated.


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 2, Athasian Minstrel [AC 16, F 13, R 16, W 15; HP 36/36 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +4; Spd 6; Passives - I 17, P 16]

Am I able to acrobatics again to transfer a hit to the inix? Is it a set DC or = the highest attack roll, or = the inix's AC (other defense)? Just in case 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21.

If I can and that succeeds, I'm not bloodied, but if not then I am.


Arakan wrote:

Am I able to acrobatics again to transfer a hit to the inix? Is it a set DC or = the highest attack roll, or = the inix's AC (other defense)? Just in case 1d20+7.

If I can and that succeeds, I'm not bloodied, but if not then I am.

That's fine, though the inix is getting a bit cheesed off.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

1d20 ⇒ 8death save


Male Human Wizard 2 HP: 21/35 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1 (2 latched on)

Death Save: 1d20 ⇒ 4

Urgh....

The rulebook doesn't mention any modifiers to this roll (just "make a saving throw" doesn't even mention to use a D20, but hey.... It does say "20 or higher..." for one of the results though.....I'm confused!


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

basically it's just a d20 unless someone gives you or your character class/race/feat "Human Perserverance for one is +1" has a modifier 1-9 and you get worse 10-19 you basically stay the same 20 or better and you are given the option of spending a healing surge if you have one available.. basically you and I are at 1 out of 3 failures at 3 we are dead. After 3 rounds the likelyhood of us being dead is ~9% the likelyhood of us stablizing(ie surge) is ~14% although now that we have failed one the likelyhood of us dying just went up to 20% huzah!


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Have either of you used your second wind? Anyone can spend a standard action to activate that for you with a Heal DC10. Otherwise we can try and stabilise you for a DC15. Irivis is a majestic 0 and untrained, but is willing to try. She won't make things worse at least.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

I have not DC10 me! come on 50/50 chance!


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Will do!


Gained 8 HP from SW. Lost 8 HP to Sk7. 13 HP remaining.

Were we overmatched? Or did we do something wrong? Is it... is it time to surrender? Not yet ready to give in to defeat, Calla spares a quick, nervous, look at Irivis. Waiting for some sort of guidance from the older more experienced woman, Calla keeps her shield high and concentrates on defense.

Total defense action: +2 all defenses.


Irivis.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Can't get to Gorad to make the check. Unless ...

Looking across at Calla, Irivis considers the options. They seem rather few.

She glares at the skirmishers.

"Let me through to help our wounded. You've nothing to lose. You outnumber us."

She waits for the response, fingers ready to curse and burn if necessary.


"Surrender first!"

I think the combat is winding down. The only one not basically surrounded is Arakan. What do he want to do?


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 2, Athasian Minstrel [AC 16, F 13, R 16, W 15; HP 36/36 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +4; Spd 6; Passives - I 17, P 16]

Was really uncertain about this, had to figure out what Arakan would do in this situation, and his inner coward won out.

Arakan seeing that, despite his scatterring of the archers, the tables have turned for those inside the compound. He has a moment of indecision, ride inside and fight to the last, or run with the aid of his newly acquired mount. The attackers will either kill them or make them slaves, not much better. He makes up his mind and acts. He turns the inix back towards the hill he just came from, a wild plan again in his mind. He spurred the inix as fast as he could to race its hardest away from the camp, laying low to its back to take advantage of the cover of darkness.

He double moves the inix in a run (+2 move per move) 16 squares to end with upper right corner of inix in F39.

Aubrey:
As he passes the darker patch at L42, hoping the terrain and darkness hides him, he will fall from the back of the inix and attempt to hide. He may not be allowed a stealth check as the fall isn't a move. Acrobatics to reduce falling damage 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18, stealth if possible 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20.


Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:

"Surrender first!"

I think the combat is winding down. The only one not basically surrounded is Arakan. What do he want to do?

And the answer is?


Spoilers, everyone!

Arakan:

Spoiler:
Arakan rides away before slipping from the saddle. He lands lightly and rolls, avoiding any damage as the inix thunders away. Looking back, in the light of the fires he can see Calla and Irivis at bay, threatened by the spears of the crodlu riders.

No damage, you are now hidden.

Everyone else:

Spoiler:
Arakan rides away into the dark, giving up on the hopeless situation, his inix clattering away across the rocky plain.

Perception, DC 30.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

No way Irivis can get that Perception DC.

Irivis just sees Arakan vanishing into the dark and looks at Calla.

"It's your family and your caravan, Calla," she murmurs. "I can't make that decision for you. But I'll abide by whatever you say."

And I will flay Arakan to atoms if he ever shows his hide near me again.

It's probably just as well nobody can see her face.


Spoilers!


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Crud crud crud ... missed the bloody edit window and can't even delete it. Arakan - close your eyes.


He's probably guessed the bit in italics already anyway.


Everyone except Arakan:

Spoiler:
Yoohoo! Calla! Time for a decision! No pressure!


There's been no reply from Calla for several days. In the interests of keeping things moving, Irivis probably needs to make the decision.


The not-fleeing:

Spoiler:
With her last hope fleeing into darkness, Calla takes a characteristically swift decision. Her many-toothed flail drops from nerveless fingers; shield and head both bow. "It's over," she whispers, and abandons herself to her fate. At least she will share it with what remains of her family.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Non-fleeing:

Following Calla's lead, Irivis unclenches her hands.

"Now you will let us tend our wounded," she says icily. She moves to Calla and puts a hand on the distraught girl's shoulder. "You could do nothing else. Don't torment yourself."


Everyone except Arakan:

Spoiler:
As the weapons fall to the ground, the raiders relax slightly. "Don't move!" one of them barks, still pointing a spear at Irivis. As he speaks, another contingent of four riders heads in from the north, also borne by crodlus. At their head is the bulky figure of a mul, beside him a slender elven figure. That in itself is unusual, since elves rarely ride. This group enters the compound.

The mul, seemingly in command, looks around. He wears good armour made from chitin, an battleaxe casually shoved in his belt and a spear in his hand. His face is hangdog and sleepy-eyed. He walks his mount over to where Calla tends to her father, the front of his robe soaked in blood, and looks on impassively for a few moments. He then shrugs disinterestedly and, hefting his spear, plunges it into Calla's father's chest.

"Kill the wounded, round up the rest for the march," he grunts to his men.

"No!" replies the elf, his voice high and fluting. "We need as many alive as possible. That was our arrangement. The place is not far - the able-bodied can carry the weak. You can do what you will after we have finished" The elf is wrapped in silks. Unlike with most elves who are dark and swarthy, a pale hand brushes back a strand of blond hair under his veil.

The mul stares at him, and the elf stares back, unintimidated. The mul looks away and shrugs again. "Whatever - you heard him. Tend to your sick, and get ready to walk." He wheels his crodlu and stalks away.

On the ground by the wall, Calla's father coughs blood once and then lies still. The elf looks down for a moment at the corpse, and then follows after the mul.

Anyone unconscious can spend a healing surge and regain consciousness. End of combat - 150xp each.

Also, Perception checks and Nature or Arcana checks


Arakan:

Spoiler:
From his hiding place, Arakan sees Calla and Irivis surrender. Four mour crodlu riders come, including a mul and an elf (odd in itself to see an elf riding).

The mul seems to be in charge. There is a commotion as the mul appears to kill one of the prisoners, and then a brief exchange between the elf and the mul that Arakan has difficulty making out at this distance. The prisoners are then left to tend their wounded under the eyes of the guards.

End of combat - 150xp each. Also, Perception check.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Captured:

1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3 - Perception
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15 - Arcana

Irivis keeps close to Calla and only just restrains herself from bringing a curse down on the Mul's head by remembering that this would only get more people killed.

She seethes inwardly, unable to really blame Arakan for his betrayal, but unable to forgive him either.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

Captured

Spoiler:
Gorad stands up groggily and shuffles over to Calla, nodding to Irivis for her help.

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29percp
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (1) + 10 = 11nature

7/28 hps 10/11 surges


Gorad (and any of the Captured who get 20 or more ontheir Perception check):

Spoiler:
A short distance away, the Mul has a conference with one of his elf warriors.

Elf: One of them escaped, Tek. They took an inix, heading west.

Tek: An inix? They're slow. Send a couple of the boys, see if you can bring him back.

Elf: Alight, Tek.

Any of the Captured who get 25 or more on their Arcana or Nature check:

Spoiler:
You have heard of them, but never expected to meet one. The "elf" could be an eladrin, one of the legendary inhabitants of the Lands Within the Wind.


Arakan:

Spoiler:
Two elves leap the walls and begin troting in the same direction as his inix set off.

Stealth check.


Not-Arakans

Spoiler:
Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 16. Nature: 1d20 ⇒ 11.

Calla's eyes are dimmed with grief and failure. Irivis' kind words do not pierce, they do not make sense. It was hers to watch the camp, hers to guard the camp, and through her weakness they are all betrayed to slavery and death. Only one thing truly penetrates and makes its mark. The expression of the mul as it kills her father. Boredom.

The mind of a trained psion, even one trained largely for battle, contains layers, precise as clockwork. Somewhere beneath the overwhelming shock and despair, a small part of Calla's mind is still aware enough to hear the elf, and wonder - What does it want with our wounded?

She allows herself to be led, keeping close to Irivis and Gorad, unwilling to look among the captured and wounded to see the condemnation in the eyes of her remaining family.


Male Human Wizard 2 HP: 21/35 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1 (2 latched on)

Spoiler:
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 Arcana: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Jareen wakes slowly, taking a minute before he notices *anything*.

-7HP 4 of 7 healing surges


SPOILERS!

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1
Aubrey the Demented/Malformed wrote:
SPOILERS!

FFS! Too many tags! :)


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 2, Athasian Minstrel [AC 16, F 13, R 16, W 15; HP 36/36 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +4; Spd 6; Passives - I 17, P 16]

Aubrey:
Sorry for the delay, checked right before you posted for my perception check yesterday, then had my TT game day.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16, Stealth 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24, moving slow enough to not get the penalty.

Also, I had a question about my Sneak Attack. It says with rogue powers only, but can I still use it with Melee/Ranged baics? Rogues can when it's a class ability. But it would seem weird that they couldn't because of Hybrid.

Arakan slowly tries to skirt the embankment towards the north, hoping that he can get some distance between himself and the oncoming elves.


Arakan:

Spoiler:
On the Sneak Attack thing, I don't see why not. It's probably one of those grey areas - happy for you to use it on basics. After all, there are lots of things that come out a bit sub-optimal from a hybrid build so I doubt it would be unbalancing.

Arakan circles round. He keeps his distance, although it means he can't hear what is going on inside the camp. The elves trot off into the desert on a futile quest after the inix.

After a few minutes, the raiders round up the captured traders into a line and march them off to the north-east. The caravaneers move slowly, carrying their wounded. Dawn is in perhaps an hour. It is cold now, but the temperature will be rocketing soon after the sun rises.

OK, your encounter powers recharge and you can use your healing surges to recharge your hp as you see fit.

Arakan: Nature or Streetwise check, DC 10:

Spoiler:
It is very unusual for captured prisoners who can't easily move to be left alive and taken. They are normally killed for the sake of speed.


Non-Arakans:

Spoiler:
After a few minutes, the raiders gather their prisoners into a column, and they begin marching out in towards the north-east. The injured are helped along by their more able-bodied relatives under the cold gaze of the slavers.

OK, your encounter powers recharge and you can use your healing surges to recharge your hp as you see fit. Your weapons and implements are taken away, as is your equipment, but your armour isn't (since you are wearing it).


Male Human Wizard 2 HP: 21/35 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1 (2 latched on)

Spoiler:
Glad I have almost no equipment..... Blow 4 surges to get back to 24 HP Jareen trudges along with the help of the others. As he moves, and the day wears on, his anger surges inside him, and he begins to regain the energy, and the stubbornness to walk on his own.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

use 3 surges 7/11 28/28 hp


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Captives:
Irivis protests if anyone tries to remove her staff on the ground that she will be a significant liability without it.

Used two surges to get back to full hp. 30/30hp, 7/10 surges remaining.


Captives:

Spoiler:
Bluff check for Irivis to hang on to her staff.


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 2, Athasian Minstrel [AC 16, F 13, R 16, W 15; HP 36/36 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +4; Spd 6; Passives - I 17, P 16]

Aubrey:
Just thought of this, what about Dilettante or Theme powers, with sneak attack that is?

Streetwise 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Arakan has almost used up his luck with the escape. He needs to find a way to follow them.... or a disguise. He looks to the elves going after the inix, letting them get ahead of him a little before following them. He loads and fires, hoping to incapacitate one of them before bringing the fight to them. The shot looks like it strikes true, but Arakan doesn't want to face them directly. He drops to the ground, hoping to remain unoticed.

Sly Flourish with Sneak attack (Unless I can SA with Theme powers then Poisoned Strike)1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 vs AC (+2 for CA. -2 if they are between 11-20 squares from me). Damage is 1d6 ⇒ 4 +7 for Flourish or 5 Poison damage for Poisoned Strike. Sneak Attack damage 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6

Sweet! Crit. So, that would be a total of 19 damage with flourish, or 12 damage +5 poison, and until EOMNT if the target willingly moves more than 2 squares or makes an attack, it then falls prone, and it is immobilized until the end of its next turn with Poisoned Strike.

Drop Prone, attempt Stealth 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20.
Sorry if the whole post is complicated, it all really depends on what I can use with SA.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Captives:
1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 - Bluff
Irivis limps with utter conviction. The recent battle gives her good excuse.


Arakan:

Spoiler:
I guess the issue is how much of a rogue are you and how much of a bard? You are feeling pretty rogue-y now - almost exclusively if sneak attack works off all your powers except the bard ones. To some extent I guess the issue will work itself out, and you gain more bard powers. I'm inclined to not let the theme powers work with sneak attack because arguably you could replace bard powers with theme powers. Likewise, the dilettante might not work either. To some extent, that's the thing about being a hybrid - you aren't a rogue, as such. I am willing to see how it goes in play and reconsider, however.

Are you following these guys? You aren't exactly very far from the camp. Or are you working on the theory that the raiders have moved off with the captives?


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 2, Athasian Minstrel [AC 16, F 13, R 16, W 15; HP 36/36 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +4; Spd 6; Passives - I 17, P 16]

Aubrey:
I guess it makes sense to not add them to my Theme or Dilettante. I'm going for the feel of the 2E DS Bard. Basically, they were poison-makers on the black market and assassins for hire. Don't worry I'm not evil. I will be taking a fair amount of the Theme's powers since I am going for a Poison focus.

I was waiting until they passed and were around the 10 sq range from me (about column A or B on the battle map. I'm hoping that given the distance (30-40 sq from anyone at the camp), and however much general noise there would be at the camp, that they would be no help coming to them.


Arakan:

Spoiler:
OK, I've slept on it. The powers of the theme are rogue-y so I'm willing to let you sneak attack on those. However, you will need to make sure you have a decent number of powers that reflect your bard-yness (not an immediate requirement now at level 1, but something to bear in mind as you level up) to balance it up. Ideally, about half your powers (maybe a little less to give you some flexibility, but not much) should be bard, with the balance being rogue and theme. I'll let you run with how you resolve that. I'm not going to let you sneak attack off the back of the dilettante power.

So I'll assume you run with the Poisoned Strike.

Arakan fires his dart. So close to the elves his attempt to hide fails, but as one charges forward the poison on his crossbow bolt causes it to fall in agony. The other looses an arrow but it sails over Arakan as he throws himself down, and it begins backing away.

1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (6) + 8 - 2 = 12 v AC, 5 damage on a hit. One of the elves is prone, the other not. I'm assuming you are prone too since you flung yourself flat, which gives you the -2 to be hit. Your go again. The dropped elf is 5' away, the other one now 40' and in the direction away from the camp.


Captured:

Spoiler:
Irivis manages to convince the raiders to let her keep her staff. The column continues to march into the rising sun. The raiders seem indifferent to the needs of their captives, and the march becomes difficult as the temperatures begin to soar.

Yay, it's skill challenge time! You are marching across a desert with no food, water or shelter. Time to use those skills (or, indeed, other abilities such as powers). If you can think of a sensible use for a skill or power, put it up (with a skill check result, if applicable) and I will adjudicate. First come, first served.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Captured:
1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19 - Endurance
Activate Know Direction

Irivis keeps her head down and conserves her energy as best she can. In the meantime, she tries to work out the route of the journey.


Captured:

Spoiler:
I'll count that as two successes. Also...

As far as Irivis can tell, the route is heading towards the shores of the Estuary of the Forked Tongue.

151 to 200 of 3,704 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's 4e Dark Sun campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.