Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Aubrey's 4e Dark Sun

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


1,401 to 1,450 of 4,098 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>

Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Irivis suppresses a genuine wince as she lets Calla help her up. "I may have overcooked it a little," she murmurs.

Upstairs, she watches and waits, unsurprised that Jareen is now the centre of attention. Clearly the old coot has made some connections in his time and been in a powerful enough position to do so.

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1
Irivis wrote:
Clearly the old coot

Hehe, love it!


Calla stays watchful, looking back over her shoulder to see if the three enforcers follow them into the room, checking for sudden movements or hands going to weapons.


"In the same manner that we helped you when you needed it, we would like a service in return. We would like you to recover an item for us. An item of potent power."


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

"You helped us? When?"


"You would be providing the crowd in the Balic arena with brief amusement, Jareen, were it not for us."


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

"You say that. I have no way of knowing if it is true. What is this object you wish recovered? Why do you wish us to recover it, why not send your," Jareen glances at the thugs, "friends?"


"Because you have been marked out, Jareen. We wish to test your mettle. Are you aware of the orbs of darkest defiling?"

Arcana, DC 15 (you can assist each other, DC 11):

Spoiler:
Defilers use these orbs to enhance their abilities, at the expense of greater damage to the environment. They vary in power but are generally anathema to right-thinking people.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 - Arcana

Irivis displays an instinct for self-preservation and does not put up her hand to say "I know, sir." She is, however, aware of such orbs and winces at the thought of them.


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Arcana: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

"You betray yourself. You do you not know me if you would ask that question. Of course I know, what do you think I am? Some child in rags on the street? Get to the point."


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 11/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

Arcana 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19

Arakan eyes Jareen suspiciously. Giving Irivs a look of 'how did we get into this?' There was more to this old man than he probably cares to know. He decides to say something, "Okay, so big deal? You arranged to keep him out of the arena. If your need for him now is so great, he could've have succeeded there without your help. Now you think that since 'were it not for you' he owes you, maybe you should have cemented that deal before he was freed."

He scowls at the thugs behind them, and the figures before them, "We are free folk now. If you want something from any of us, you had better be willing to make it worth our while. If you are asking for this, orb of... dark... filing, it sounds like there is significant value you are willing to place on getting this object, whatever it is."

A combo of all socials
Intimidate to sound tough 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15
Diplomacy for convincing to pay 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17
Bluff being familiar with the orbs 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


Calla does not know what an orb of defiling might be. From Irivis' instantly stifled reaction, and Arakan's sudden interest, she guesses that they are powerful and valuable and probably dangerous. Her long-buried merchant instincts jolt to life, and she supports Arakan's play.

"It seems that you are lucky. Jareen has happened upon companions who might be amenable to a paid commission. And capable. Now, what do you need?"

Diplomacy aid another: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


"The point? Certainly I think your friend misunderstands the situation. We do not value these objects - far from it. But that doesn't mean that we do not want them recovered. Jareen, what would you do?"


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

"Still you speak in riddles. I presume you want them discovered so that they can be destroyed? Or at the very least well hidden and never used? There will be no glory, and no gold? All for a favour you say you once did?

"I am sorry, I need more than that. My friends will need much more. But why don't you start with where you believe the Orbs to be, and why you think it so important they are discovered?"


"Sometimes gratitude is expressed in more than pieces of fired clay, or the fickle gratitude of a monarch. Remember, we could hire anyone to undertake this task. This discussion is more of a test of character.

"But you are correct, we wish these orbs to be destroyed so that they no longer blight the world. This area is blighted with bandits, and while the town is safe and roads are patrolled, they are still a danger. They are even more of a danger when led by an arcanist without scruple, and when such a person holds one of these orbs...

"But this is more than about just Altaruk or the flow of trade between cities. In the end, this is about the whole of Athas. So we ask you again, Jareen, what would you do?"


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

"How does the whole of Athas get involved? A bandit in a small town should be easy enough to deal with if you have the resrouces to save me in the way you say you have?"

Jareen is trying to look non-challant, but it's quite obvious that the idea of these orbs offends him.


"Every defiler incrementally destroys life that cannot be restored, and will ultimately destroy us all if not stopped. And our resources are not the issue. The issue is: will you help us?"


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

Usually taciturn Gorad steps forward glancing at Calla "Defiling is unnatural, I will help"


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

"You say this is a moral test, but yet, imply that I don't really have a choice. Of course I will remove these things from Athas."


"You always had a choice, Jareen. If you had refused you could have walked away and nothing would have happened to you. But we are glad you did not.

"Two day's march east of here there is a landmark, a spire of red rock called the Bloody Needle. It is well-known though usually avoided, for the caves underneath it often harbour dangerous creatures and bandit gangs. The bandit gang currently residing there are a truly debased lot, led by a human defiler mage calling himself Zavox. Zavox has obtained one of the orbs of darkest defiling from the deep caverns beneath the Needle. Currently he is squandering its power in simple caravan raids but it will not be long before he becomes more ambitious. We wish to halt his activities before he gets to that point, and recover the orb for disposal."


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

"Perhaps. Or perhaps you would go wo those I escaped from.... It matters not. The decision is made."


"Very good. Then we probably have nothing more to say."

One of the heavies opens the door and gives a pointed look.


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

"You expect us the leave like this? With barely a weapon between us and no food or water? I'm sure there is more we have to discuss."


"Talk to Kamzar" - the mul leader of the goons nods in acknowledgement - "and he will try and see to your needs. It is in no one's interest to send you out empty-handed."


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Irivis listens as Jareen uncharacteristically engages in negotiations. He has, she notes, a strong practical streak.

It's been a hellacious week. Up to my neck in marking and exams and nativity plays and such like fun and games.


And?


Calla speaks up, "Right. A dangerous mission, with the potential for more work later. Payment in advance, in kind, to make sure we are well equipped. Given our current lack of funds and allies, it seems like a deal we would be well advised to accept."

She turns to Kamzar, "I'm keen to see what you have available. If my companions have no further objections, we should go and get started."


Kamzar grunts, "Follow me," and heads down the stairs. The other two move to encourage the party to follow him. Back in the dimly-lit bar Kamzar grabs a leather bottle and some tiny ceramic cups and indicates that the group should sit with him at an empty table. He pours each of them a measure, including himself and his henchmen, and throws one back. His grimaces, clears his throat and his voice is slightly hoarse when he says, "So you're in. Good. This is best for everyone. It doesn't look like much but if you help us, we can help you. A lot. So, what will you need and we'll see what we can get you?"


Calla takes a sip, and barely manages to hold back a choking cough as the alcohol burns down her throat. Eyes watering, she manages a slightly strangled, "Thanks."

What did gramma always say about negotiating? ... Start high, you won't get everything you want, but it sets the level of conversation and pulls the end result higher...

She clears her throat, "Better weapons and armor, if you have them. Proper desert clothes and survival kits for those lacking them. Any healing gourds, medical supplies, bandages. My companions may have other, more specific requirements."


Diplomacy check.


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Jareen knocks the first drink back as though it doesn't touch the sides.

"Your friend doesn't make life easy. Calla has the way of it though. Food, water and spare weapons would be the first thing. Maps would be useful too."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 To Aid Calla


Diplomacy: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

"And another round of ... whatever that was. On me," Calla motions to the waitress for more another of the leather bottles of firewater.


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 11/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

Reminder: just being in my great presence gives you guys a +1 to Diplomacy checks.

Arakan adds his insight to the situation, more out of curiosity for what these orbs are all about, than out of a sense of need to stop this defiler. "If this man we seek is a defiler, then we better be well compensated for the danger we face." He doesn't even pretend to drink, turning it down.

Diplomacy to aid 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

"As they said we volunteered, so you can volunteer to help some as well"

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10 aid diplomacy


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Irivis takes the drink and ignores the taste in favour of taking the warmth and the kick. Probably better not to think about the ingredients.

"Supplies. Dying of starvation or thirst helps nobody."

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12 - Diplomacy aid


"Alright, look, this is supposed to be done undercover. We can't just roll up to the market stalls in town and just buy you a load of equipment - it'll be noticed. What do you want, and I'll see what I can do. I'm not holding out on you, just being practical. This isn't Balic or Tyr."

Give him a specific list of stuff you want - I suggest you talk it through ooc. You may - or may not - get all you want, depending on how difficult it is to find.


Thanks Aardvark, I'd forgotten about that ability. Very useful!

"That seems fair. Give us a moment to confer - and let's keep the drinks coming."

Calla turns to her companions, "Decision time. What do we need? Other than another round?"


Guys?

Cheliax

Wintergreen's CE PA IT Geek 10/Daddy 6/Physicist 3/Cartographer 1/Runner 1

Out of character, I have *no* idea. Which isn't much help I know... Anything Jareen should need?


Guys, with respect, it was your idea to ask for equipment. So ask. We aren't going to go anywhere if you don't act. If I might say, you are extremely apathetic as a group, and seem loathed to actually make decisions. You tend not to try unless I prompt you and even then you seem less than keen. I guess that you don't want to impose on one another but we would go much more quickly if you would put up opinions and discuss them rather than wait for someone to tell you what to do. It is not my job to tell you what to do, it is my job to tell you the consequences of your actions. But if you make no actions, we are going nowhere fast.


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Watching the others dither, Jareen tuts and again takes the lead.

"It seems my friends have gone shy again. We need food and water for the journey, and a decent map. I need a pair of daggers, stone ones, not those damned delicate bones things. Finally, a good nights sleep. A day to recover from the journey here should give you time to arrange the supplies."


"I think we can swing that. So long as you don't want magic cloaks or anything," jokes the mul.


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Jareen nods, then leans in close and whispers "Well, if you find one, don't tell the rest of this rabble about it!"

Ok, so we have some time to shop, eat sleep, recover etc.... and a palce to go once they turn up with supplies. Now we need a plan, no?


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 11/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

Arakan is really not sure why he's even considering going through with this with them. Maybe it's just curiosity about what this orb really does, maybe he still considers them useful, or he just might have grown to consider them friends. That last one is the least likely, though. "Hey, dimwits, how about we see about mounts?" He turns to the Mul, feeling a little better knowing they still need him to think of everything. "We could each use either a kank or crodlu if we are expected to take this overland journey for someone else's sake. Kanks would be preferred, based on speed."


The mul taps his chin thoughtfully. "Kanks are tricky - we might alert the army with that. Crodlus should be no problem."


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Jareen looks at Arakan with a little begrudging respect. "Ah, that is a good idea, even a crodlu would save my aged legs a little."


Everyone happy to move on?


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Yip!


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

I am


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 11/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

I'm good

1,401 to 1,450 of 4,098 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's 4e Dark Sun campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.