Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Aubrey's 4e Dark Sun

Game Master Aubrey the Malformed


451 to 500 of 4,035 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>

Welcome to Dark Sun - there are no nicer people.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Find somewhere to take a rest and start improvising weapons and kit.


"We need to gather our breath, and then plot a course north to find shelter and water. I suggest we take stock of our supplies - I'm not sure how long they will need to last."

Calla leans against her captured spear, surveying the terrain to the north.

Aubrey - thanks for counting up the XP. I'm terrible at keeping track of it!


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 41/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

Arakan, comforted by having at least a real blade, one of obsidian instead of shrub, decides that there's no harm in taking a few thorns for good measure. He cuts a few from the brush, three to be exact, and tucks them away. "Why north?" he asks sardonically, "What's up that way that we want to find? I think the key to our survival, at this point, is to find some place we can hole up until they give us up for gone. If we head out too soon we are left with nothing but sandy expanses seperating us from their sight. I say we take a day to hunker down somewhere with cover, probably move only at night. We need to take the path of least discovery. We will be living by what we can scavenge, so we need to take it slow and cautious. Otherwise, we will run ourselves into the ground, and they will just come and scoop us up with us begging them for it, if it means we get a drop of water. I say we get ourselves right, for right now, then we can discuss the importance of north." He moves carefully among the rocks, looking for a roomy burrow or eroded opening he can steal from some local critter's family.


It might be worth looking back at the conversation with Grandma, since she had some comments about this.


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 41/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

I tried to overhear but failed, I need Calla to tell me why north is important.


To Arakan, Call replies, "Closest civilisation is north. Gramma told me that the caravan site was just a few days south of a fortified oasis called Grak's Pool. We'll need to get past the canyon lands between here and there - and you're right we should move at night. We need to conserve water, and scavenge more if we can, but at least the canyons will disguise our passing."


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 41/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

History: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
For Grak's Pool.

and both
Nature: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
To find a sheltered place to hole up. How long before dark?


Arakan:

Spoiler:
Based on what you know (which isn't much) Calla's comments seem reasonable. Finding shelter - caves and so on - should not be especially difficult in these canyons. It's about six hours to nightfall.

It feels slightly churlish to mention it, but you haven't actually escaped yet - you've just walked through some bushes which are (if you recall) also highly flammable and therefore easy to remove. You still need to get away from the immediate vicinity before considering holing up for the day.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

"Can we have this conversation somewhere less exposed."

Irivis sounds a little tense as she looks around for somewhere to hide.

Using Know Direction to pick up a +2 to Nature and look for a decent hiding place. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22 - Nature.


Irivis:

Spoiler:
You will need to keep moving for the time being. Right now you will be relatively easy to track - leaving corpses in your wake and blood-spatters in the bushes to show which way you went. So getting reasonably distant and possibly trying to mask your trail is the priority now. The bottoms of the canyons are likely to be fairly hard going due to the level of vegetation choking them, and also possibly haunted by predators. That could be good thing as it makes things a bit harder for mounted warriors to pursue, but obviously also potentially bad as it makes progress slower and more dangerous for you. Also, in the accumulated sand in the canyons you are more likely to leave tracks. You could consider climbing the walls of the canyons, which would possibly make progress a bit quicker, harder to track and essentially impossible for mounted pursuers, at the risk of being more exposed and visible and also less likely to find useful forage (and you might fall off). Either way, the other big issue is that you have to navigate the canyons, which may not all be headed in the direction you want to go to get to Grak's Pool. Finding shelter should not be too difficult, however - the canyons will have areas suitable for camping - caves, side-canyons and so on - in which you could conceal yourselves.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Irivis shares her thoughts.

Read the spoiler above.

"I'm not suited to climbing walls. It may be slower, but I'd prefer to stay at ground level."


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

"I would have to agree with no equipment, I think climbing will be a last option."


"Let's head into the canyons and discuss as we move. If everyone is recovered from that last fight, I suggest we start putting some distance between us and the raiders."

Calla uses her spear for support and starts moving north - barely moving faster than Irivis.


Alright, we'll head into the more leisurely escape phase. This is another skill challenge: the aim is to make tracks without, er, making tracks; i.e. to (1) maximise the distance between you and the bandits without (2) passing out from heat exhaustion while (3) trying to cover the evidence of your passing and(4) heading roughly north to get to Grak's pool. This will be in phases, so please state which of the four aims you are addressing with your skill checks (or, if relevant, powers or other factors I maybe haven't thought of) - success or failure in each of the phases will have a different impact. First come, first served.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Know Direction means Irivis always knows where North is - how do you want to adjudicate that?


As a single success in phase 4 - just because you know where north is doesn't necessarily mean the canyons are running north, or than north is the best way to go in the short term.

Phase 1 - make tracks: -
Phase 2 - survive: -
Phase 3 - cover tracks: -
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/0 failures

Next!


Dwarf

Endurance for phase 2? Help others make their way through the terrain

1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19


Endurance would be helping yourself rather than others, unles you are volunteering to lug their stuff, but it's still valid. Motivational speeches would be more Diplomacy (or Bluff).

Phase 1 - make tracks: -
Phase 2 - survive: 1 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: -
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/0 failures

Irivis navigates, her inherent sense of direction helping as the group heads into the maze of canyons. Gorad trudges along stoically, assisting others over the tricky sections. The going is tough, many of the ravines being choked with boulders and thorny shrubs. The walls have been carved into rounded shapes by wind-blown sand, with colourful red and yellow bands in the rock showing clearly in the afternoon desert sun.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

If we had stuff I'd lug it!


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 41/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

Arakan will linger behind the rest, using what he knows of staying out of sight to cover the marks made by the group's passing.
Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
To cover tracks

Aubrey:
From this position, he can also keep an eye on the rest of them, maybe see if he can tell what kind of people he's dealing with.
Insight: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
On the group to see if they give anything away that he could use at a later date. I don't actually expect to get much, it's more of an IC action that he would take.


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Jareen uses his small knowledge of nature, to work out which gullies flow in the best direction to head North.

Going for 1, but the description is probably more applicable to 4....

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Phase 1 - make tracks: 0 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 1 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/0 failures
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/0 failures

Arakan lurks behind the main group, scuffing over tracks to hinder pursuit. But Jareen argues with Irivis as to the correct way to go at the point where two gullies split, causing unneccesary delay.

Arakan:

Spoiler:
Jareen seems to be hiding some sort of arcane power, based on what you have seen, plus he seems cagey about his origins, as he seems a bit refined to be roughing it (with such ill grace) in the desert. The others seem reasonably on the level, with the possible exception of Irivis who you already know about anyway.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

"I keep telling you, THAT is north."

Irivis grumbles as she takes care to conserve her energy as best she can.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23 - Endurance for Phase 2


"Moving, not arguing! We're still within minutes of being caught and killed. And I will not have my family's sacrifice wasted by bicking."

Calla admonishes Jareen and Irivis and urges the group to make tracks.

Diplomacy to inspire greater speed for Phase 1. 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18. Note - I think Calla has trouble distinguishing between diplomacy and intimidation!


Isuspect it's the player rather than the character...

Calla provides "words of encouragement" to get the party moving again.
Irivis prevails and marches steadily on under the gruelling heat.

Phase 1 - make tracks: 1 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 2 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/0 failures
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/0 failures


Um - no comment your honour...

Now that Jareen and Irivis are both heading in the same direction, and at a good speed, Calla drops back to help Arakan obscure the trail.

Nature to put things back looking natural: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11

She bends her head and speaks to Arakan in a low voice,

Arakan/Aubrey:
"I don't much like our chances against mounted pursuit. Do you think we would be better setting an ambush?"


Calla checks over the trail and tries to hide some evidence of the party's passing. But her efforts are more more obvious than the tracks in the sand.

General note to clarify: there's a limit to the number of times you can use respective skills on the individual phases.

Phase 1 - make tracks: 1 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 2 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/0 failures

Arakan/Calla:

Spoiler:
That's really the purpose of the Phase 3. If you fail, you are trackable. There's currently no evidence of immediate pursuit, though a Perception check as part of the skill challenge to check would be perfectly valid.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Would Bluff be legitimate as a skill to cover tracks? It's a stretch, but worth asking?


No, not really, but it could conceivably be used as a motivational tool - "Nearly there!"


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Fairy Nuff.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

phase 1 using my knowledge of nature to tell what areas to avoid

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 nature

"That looks like a bad patch of sand, best avoided."


Phase 1 - make tracks: 2 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 2 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/0 failures

Gorad navigates the party round an area of knee-deep sand that would slow them down, instead sticking to the higher, rockier ground.

As that's such a good roll, Gorad can give someone else a +2 to their next check.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

@ Aubrey

Spoiler:
would that be first come first serve on check or would it be next person using nature to overcome challenge?


Gorad:

Spoiler:
First come first served.


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 41/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

Aubrey/Calla:
Arakan turns to look at Calla, his expression one of someone watching another grow a third arm out of their forehead. "An ambush? Really? With what, the two spears and two daggers we have? We barely managed to take out two riders, and that was AFTER we got their mounts to run off. I think we are better off getting to safety, and hoping that they give up on us, despite your best efforts to undo all the work I'm doing."

When Calla "motivates" the group, Arakan just shakes his head and decides that fear works better as a motivator when it has more bite than a irritated merchant. He looks back the way they came, squinting as he looks along the path, before his eyes flash wide and he turns to the group. "Uh oh, we need to move, and NOW. I see a small group of them headed this way. It looks like they've ditched the mounts, but there's five of them and they've found our trail. All we can do is pick up the pace or they'll be on us in no time."

Bluff for Phase 1 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22. Don't know who gets Gorad's bonus. Is it his choice, whoever uses it, or whoever does the same phase as him?


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Irivis shoots a filthy look at Arakan as she stumbles onwards.

Infuriating idiot.

"Yes, well, doing what I can in my own small way."

Starting to run out of useful skills here. Irivis can offer decent Bluff, History, Arcana or Streetwise, none of which seem particularly appropriate. Unless ...

Turning her attention to the tracks behind her, Irivis attempts to wipe the sands clear with her staff, hiding their passage with a series of carefully placed drifts.

Arcana (or using a power to kick sand over our tracks). 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17. For Phase 3.


Let's say it's Gorad's choice. You can use the same skill on different phases, jut not too often on the same phase. The Arcana thing - hmmm, not too sure about that one. You might choose a different skill.

Phase 1 - make tracks: 3 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 2 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/0 failures

No one it too sure if Arakan is kidding or not, but the mention of possible pursuers helps the pace pick up.


Silently fuming at Arkan's curt reply, and distrustful of his sudden supposed sighting of pursuit, Calla nevertheless picks up her pace and rejoins Jareen and Irivis near the front. She tries to remember what she's heard about navigating in the wilderness from family and employees over the years.

Nature roll for phase 4: 1d20 ⇒ 10.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

Using that roll? Hmm.

"Just up there, one more short sprint and we'll be clear."

Bluff for Phase 1.


Phase 1 - make tracks: 3 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 2 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 1 success/1 failures

Irivis chivvies the group along. But Calla can't remember any great wilderness lore for the moment.


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

As Jareen appears to be the only one left this round he can use the +2


Male Human Wizard 4 HP: 21/39 Surges: 7{7} AC: 15 Action Points: 1

Diplomacy, with the +2 for phase4, to convince people of the right direction to go, without causing any more arguments... :)

1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 6 + 2 = 18


Phase 1 - make tracks: 3 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 2 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 2 success/1 failures

Jareen smooths things over with Irivis, and the team is more coherent and purposeful as a result (though possibly going the wrong way: -2 to the next check in phase 4).

Everything to play for. Who's next?


M Mul Shaman 2 Elemental Priest

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18 Heal check for phase 2 to patch up some of the ails from us traveling edited to remove the -2 reading comprehension ftw!! phase 4 only


Phase 1 - make tracks: 3 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 3 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 1 success/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 2 success/1 failures

Gorad soothes sunburnt skins (try saying that three times quickly!) with the thick juice of a particular desert cactus he found along the way.


Male Half-Elf Bard/Rogue 4, Athasian Minstrel [AC 18, F 15, R 18, W 17; HP 41/41 0 temps (surges 8/8); Init +5; Spd 6; Passives - I 18, P 17]

Arakan goes back to trying and making it look like they weren't there, but decides it may be easier to make it look more like something they would rather not follow. He searches his memory for what the tracks of some of the more hostile wildlife looks like.

Nature for Phase 3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Phase 1 - make tracks: 3 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 3 success/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 2 success/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 2 success/1 failures

Arakan disguises the tracks to resemble a single giant cylops instead of a group of travellers. He glances around at the dark mouths caves in the canyon wall - and decides to hurry and catch up with the rest of the team.


Female Human Warlock 4 (Sorcerer King, Wildling) HP 46/46

"Nice."

Irivis notes her approval of Arakan's tactics and turns her own attention to keeping the group on course.

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22 - Nature (inc +2 from Know Direction) for Phase 4.


Phase 1 - make tracks: 3 successes/1 failure
Phase 2 - survive: 3 successes/0 failures
Phase 3 - cover tracks: 2 successes/1 failure
Phase 4 - head towards Grak's Pool: 3 successes/1 failure

Irivis ignores (politely this time) Jareen and the party heads in the right direction.

451 to 500 of 4,035 << first < prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aubrey's 4e Dark Sun campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.