Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Age of Darkness

Game Master Mothman

It is an age of darkness ...

A homebrew Pathfinder campaign.


301 to 350 of 7,851 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Yruch raises his mace high above his head, and with a cry, brings it down hard on the back of the wolf attempting to savage Keildrithe. His blow strikes true, hitting the beast squarely in the spine, and smashing it to the ground. The creature twitches and judders, but is clearly out of the fight.

Wolf Two is down to a solid blow by Yruch. Alton’s turn, then Jirkins. Jirkin, a strength check will be required to pull yourself up and out of the hole without Laithe’s help (you can reach the edges if you stand on the stool).


I fire my bow at the clearest target that is available to me, the arrow flying true (I think). I nock another arrow, preparing to fire again.
Attack Roll: 19 (13+6) Damage: 1. I will have limited internet access until sometime Thursday evening so when my turn comes around again if I can't post when it is my turn I fire my bow again. Attack Roll: 24 (18+6) Damage: 3


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2

Jirkin then goes on the stool grabing the edge trying to lift himself up STR mod= 1+11= 12


Alton carefully and professionally targets his bow at the same wolf he had just fired at, now at the edge of the melee with the new grey wolf. Seeing that the grey wolf seems to be fighting on his side, he tries to avoid accidentally hitting that one. The bowstring twangs, and an arrow flies down, striking a glancing blow on the wolf.

Arctaris, apart from the trapped wolf, all wolves are in melee. I gave you a penalty to hit for firing into melee whilst trying to avoid hitting an ally, but you still hit.

---

Jirkin reaches up to the top of the hole and pulls, his muscles straining. However, he does not manage to pull himself out, and after a moment stops, exhausted. He felt that he had almost made it … maybe if he could get a better grip…

Jirkin, you just failed the strength check. You may try again on your next turn.

---

Keildrithe's turn


DM Mothman wrote:

Keildrithe's turn

...or we could do Laithe's turn ... ;-)


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
DM Mothman wrote:
...or we could do Laithe's turn ... ;-)

The animal instincts in Laithe take over causing him to turn his head at the last minute and avoid the worst of the second wolf's snapping jaws. None-the-less, the tear on his ear causes him to let out a small yelp of pain, relaxing his grip on the first wolf's throat and giving it time to break free.

The warm taste of blood fills his jaws and the adrenilin of the battle courses through his veins. Feeling vulnerable now facing 2 wolves, Laithe allows his instincts to take over once more, and launches another attack at the wolf he has already wounded, hoping to finish it off before they can use their numbers against him.

to hit 10 + 3 = 13 (assuming that wounds) 6 + 3 = 9


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
DM Mothman wrote:

Yruch raises his mace high above his head, and with a cry, brings it down hard on the back of the wolf attempting to savage Keildrithe. His blow strikes true, hitting the beast squarely in the spine, and smashing it to the ground. The creature twitches and judders, but is clearly out of the fight.

"My thanks, Artonite," whispers Keildrithe as he glances at his unlikely ally. The bard then steps back toward the cottage doorway, careful not to leave himself exposed to a sudden wolf attack (i.e., half round withdrawal/5-foot step?). He sheathes his dagger and grabs the sword he left leaning against the wall just inside the doorway, and then notices Jirkin trying to climb out of the compartment.

"Jirkin, I don't have time to pull you up... toss me the pendant, if you have it! Laithe's life may depend on it!!!"


The black furred wolf manages to barely dodge the snap of Wolf-Laithe’s jaws. Both wolves now circle Laithe, trying for an opening, darting and feinting, looking to force this newcomer into submission.

One wolf launches a sudden, viscous attack, which Laithe is easily able to dodge away from – straight into the jaws of the other wolf, which clamp shut tightly and painfully on his haunch. The wolf shakes it’s head, trying to force Laithe to the ground, but the druid manages to rip free from it’s grasp, leaving a gobbet of bloody flesh in his opponent’s jaws.

---

Laithe, your attack just missed. Wolf One hit you for 7 points of damage (ouch!), but you successfully opposed it’s trip attempt. Wolf Three missed. Wolf Four remains stuck in the entangle spell, which still has several rounds left.
Keildrithe, your action is successful and does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Yruch’s turn, then Altons.
Two wolves remain in melee with Laithe.


Yruch nods at Keildrithe as he dashes past, back into the cottage, then turns to look in confusion at the three wolves fighting a few feet away from him. He is clearly unsure where the new wolf has come from, but it also seems fairly clear that it is allied with the Karands and the short one he is currently helping. It is also clear that it won’t last long against it’s two attackers.

Yruch steps up and levels a swing at one of the wolves with his mace, smashing it away from the grey wolf with an audible *crack* of ribs.

technical: Yruch hits Wolf One for 6 points of damage, badly wounding but not killing it. Alton and Jirkin’s turns.

---

I understand that Dirk will be back some time on Thursday, I just checked the time, its about 3AM on Wednesday in NY, where I think he’s from … seemed a bit too long to wait for a post.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
DM Mothman wrote:

Alton and Jirkin’s turns.

---

In a previous post, Alton also indicated that he would have limited access to internet until Thursday, and rolled his attack in advance... see above...


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2

"Jirkin, I don't have time to pull you up... toss me the pendant, if you have it! Laithe's life may depend on it!!!"

Jirkin says "yes i did find it here it is." Jirkin then throws the pendent so that Keildrithe gets it. "I will be there as soon as i can." Then if Jirkin can he will make a strength check never mind 6+1=7

yeah Dirk should be here tomorrow( thursday) i hope.


I'll use my attack roll 24 (18+6) 3 points damage. I posted above to shoot at wolf three.


Jirkin Faluen the Tenth wrote:


Jirkin says "yes i did find it here it is." Jirkin then throws the pendent so that Keildrithe gets it. "I will be there as soon as i can." Then if Jirkin can he will make a strength check

Jirkin tosses the pendant up, out of the hole, to land near Keildrithe's feet. He then tries again to get out of the hole, but his last effort has exausted him, and he is again unsuccessful.


Alton Hilltopple wrote:
I'll use my attack roll 24 (18+6) 3 points damage. I posted above to shoot at wolf three.

Sorry, kind of missed that

Alton nocks another arrow and fires again into the melee, again wounding one of the enemy wolves.

Keildrithe then Laithe's turns


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Jirkin Faluen the Tenth wrote:


Jirkin says "yes i did find it here it is." Jirkin then throws the pendent so that Keildrithe gets it. "I will be there as soon as i can."

"Thanks!"

Keildrithe runs out of the cottage, pendant held high in his right hand. He approaches the wolf melee, swinging his sword half-heartedly with his left arm at one of Laithe's canine assailants.

"Back!," he yells at the beasts.

Keildrithe is attacking wolf #1... Attack roll: 7... ugh, sorry Laithe.

I hope the wolves can clearly see the pendant... are the wolves reacting to it??? Please say yes... ;-)


Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:

I hope the wolves can clearly see the pendant... are the wolves reacting to it??? Please say yes... ;-)

I'll maintain the suspense a little longer.... Laithe's turn! (then the wolves)


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
DM Mothman wrote:
I'll maintain the suspense a little longer.... Laithe's turn! (then the wolves)

Bugger!

Laithe curses inwardly as his jaws snap on empty air. He had exposed himself with that attack and having missed knew he was in trouble. Sure enough though he dodged one attack, he felt the searing pain as the wolf behind him tore into his exposed flank.

Limping from the pain, Laithe weighed up his options; he could submit to the wolves and hope that they would accept and cease their attack on him. However, these wolves had already proved unnaturally aggressive, and he was not confident that this option would work. Plus, it would be unlikely to deter their attack on his other companions.

And with some travel yet to go through the Dimwood, he thought it unwise to show weakness in the face of predators - the trees do talk after all.

So he steeled himself against the pain and with s snarl, leapt at the wolf standing between himself and the cottage, sensing that it did not have much left in it, and hoping to finish it off and put a little distance between the one behind it.

Technical: to hit 11 + 3 = 14 (I'm cringing, hopefully enough to hit!). Damage 4 + 3 = 7

Assuming I do manage to hit and kill the wolf, I would then like to take a 5ft step away from the wolf behind me (and turn to face him), which I'm envisaging would place me next to Yruch. Assuming this is possible


Keildrithe races back into the fray, wielding his sword and holding Gosia’s pendant aloft. However, his swing is awkward and wild, and does not connect. It does, however, provide a distraction, as one of the wolves turns its attention to the bard, allowing Laithe-wolf to lunge at one of his attackers, tearing out it’s throat, and leaving the wolf flopping helplessly, dying on the ground. He then backs up to stand beside the Artonite, blood covering his muzzle.

The remaining wolf, whether due to now being severely out-numbered, or due to the presence of the amulet, turns tail and runs, fast, towards the edge of the clearing and into the trees. The trapped wolf gives a plaintative howl – and finally manages to rip free of the entangling plants – and also runs off into the trees.

The victors stand, panting and bloody, looking at one another whilst the adrenaline fades from their veins.

Well done! You’ve survived your first battle! Technical: As the last wolf was fleeing, Keildrithe could technically have gotten in an AOO, but given that his stated intent was to stop the fight with the pendant, I ruled that he probably wouldn’t have done so … even if he had, and hit, it was unlikely he would have killed the wolf, so the result remains the same.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
DM Mothman wrote:
The victors stand, panting and bloody, looking at one another whilst the adrenaline fades from their veins.

Laithe-wolf stands a moment watching the wolves retreat, bloody tongue lolling from the side of his mouth and blood matting the thick fur on his back. His gamble had paid off, but he knew he was lucky to be alive.

He turns and limps inside, transforming once more into his human form. The change causes a gasp of pain to escape from his throat, and does nothing to heal the nasty gash now visible towards the top of his hamstring.

He limps over to the hole, kneels gingerly and offers his hand to Jirkin "Apologies for leaving you here, friend".

After helping Jirkin from the hole, he finds a chair somewhere in the room, sits awkwardly and begins tending to his wounds. While he works he lifts his voice towards the doorway "You fought well Artonite. If not at the request of Vorn, what brings you to the cottage today"

Laithe attempts to clean and bandage his wounds; heal check 4 + 8 = 12. He also casts cure minor wounds, healing one point of damage.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

Keildrithe retrieves his beldach and follows Laithe back into the cottage. "Well done, friends," he states quietly, pale and shaky from the declining euphoria of the adrenaline rush.

He looks at Laithe in awe. "It truly is an honour to stand in the presence of one whose faith in the old ways is so strong that he can become the beast within. I knew there was something special about you when first I saw you in Barg all those weeks ago. Thank you for saving my life, holy one..."

Then, looking at the warrior in chainmail: "I am in your debt as well, Artonite. I hope we will not need to raise our swords against you, now that our common enemy has been defeated. Laithe asks the question that burns in all of our minds."

As his words trail away, Keildrithe looks intently at the pendant that dangles from his hand.

What does it look like? Are there any inscriptions on it? Would he have heard of such a pendant before? Bardic knowledge check: Natural 1... d'oh! This really isn't my day, where rolling is concerned... call me the idiot bard...


Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:

What does it look like? Are there any inscriptions on it? Would he have heard of such a pendant before?

Gee, not fantastic rolling there!

The pendant; made up of a flat, oval stone with a hole in the center, the stone is brown with pale streaks, and is polished to a high sheen. A thin strip of leather is threaded through the hole, and tied in an adjustable loop above, so that the stone can be worn around the neck as a pendant. There do not appear to be any inscriptions on it.

With the fog of battle still heavy in your mind, you cannot recall hearing of such a pendant before.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:
He looks at Laithe in awe. "It truly is an honour to stand in the presence of one whose faith in the old ways is so strong that he can become the beast within. I knew there was something special about you when first I saw you in Barg all those weeks ago. Thank you for saving my life, holy one..."

At Keildrithe's words he pauses in his work (cleaning & wrapping up his wounds) and looks up at the bard. "Your words do me honour hedilye, as does Ehlonna of the Forest, who has shown me great favour in granting me a little of nature's power".

He continues wrapping up his wounds and goes on "As to your thanks, I would share it with Alton, Jirkin and the Artonite. Alton, showed great skill with the bow and perhaps stopped the second wolf from doing more damage to my unprotected back than it did; so thank you. Jirkin, I can see you were itching to help also; had I not left you in the hole I'm sure you would have. So apologies once more. Warrior of Arton, I saw how you fought and I have little doubt that without your help I would be standing here".

Looking once more at the bard, Laithe continues "You showed great courage yourself, facing them as you did. For a moment I thought your music would be enough to calm the wolves, but something about these woods seems to have instilled them with a great aggression. I am saddened that we were forced to kill them; but sometimes that is the way of the wild".

Finishing his bandaging, he stands gingerly and looks towards the Artonite "Now I must cease my ramblings and let this man speak".


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2

"Sorry again for my weak arms, i founds some items that will be useful" Jirkin pulls out the pots from his bag." And i also found this" Jirkin pulls out the pouch of coins "Gosia sure had a good hiding place, but could she have done that all by herself... could she?"


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Jirkin Faluen the Tenth wrote:
"Sorry again for my weak arms, i founds some items that will be useful" Jirkin pulls out the pots from his bag." And i also found this" Jirkin pulls out the pouch of coins "Gosia sure had a good hiding place, but could she have done that all by herself... could she?"

"A good question indeed, Jirkin. And no need to apologize for your weak arms -- we all have our strengths and weaknesses, as the day has shown thus far. Yet you played a critical role in the battle by finding Gosia's pendant, which seems to have had an effect on the wolves. And as Laithe so rightly pointed out, Alton has proven that despite his diminutive size, he is one of the sharpest archers in the lands of the empire. Pray that I never end up in his sights! But what are these pots you have found, Jirkin? And what do you make of the pendant -- have you seen or heard of one such as this before? The fog of battle still clouds my mind, and I do not recall ever having heard of this item in local legend or lore..."

Keildrithe hands Jirkin the pendant for inspection.


M Human Paladin 2

I missed the whole rest of the battle? Pooh.

Clearly this was not just some random attack. It was too convinient; they attacked just as you all came to see this mysterious pendant belonging to the alleged witch. I am unsure of my fellows in the church of Arton having the ability to command wild creatures, but your companion has shown the ablilty to change into such, perhaps there are others...
Anyway, I an Yruch. I am here in an attempt to prove my suspicions that the woman who lived here was not a witch. If my conduct in the battle was enough to sway you to assist me in this regard, I would be most appreciative. If, of course, this is not already your goal. I noticed you mentioned the woman's name.
What is this pendant? Did she ask you to recover it?


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Yruch Melkvor II wrote:

Clearly this was not just some random attack. It was too convinient; they attacked just as you all came to see this mysterious pendant belonging to the alleged witch. I am unsure of my fellows in the church of Arton having the ability to command wild creatures, but your companion has shown the ablilty to change into such, perhaps there are others...

Anyway, I an Yruch. I am here in an attempt to prove my suspicions that the woman who lived here was not a witch. If my conduct in the battle was enough to sway you to assist me in this regard, I would be most appreciative. If, of course, this is not already your goal. I noticed you mentioned the woman's name.
What is this pendant? Did she ask you to recover it?

"Yruch, my name is Keildrithe Oldsun, of Barg. My companions are Laithe Greycoat, spiritual keeper of the old ways; Alton Hilltopple, of the small folk; and Jirkin Faluen, the mage. So you say that these wolves did not attack you? Very interesting. How long have you been here, in Gosia's cottage then, and how did you hear of the accusations against Gosia? I don't recall seeing you in the town square in Barg, and Inquisitor Vorn said nothing of the church sending someone to investigate the matter in greater depth. Quite the contrary, it seems they had made up their minds that she was an evil witch, who could only be cleansed by burning at the stake. Why are you, then, so interested in lady Gosia's case, Artonite?

"You undeniably fought with valour during this last battle. It is not within my nature to expect people to prove themselves or their intentions to me, but given the generations of oppression that the Karands and other folk in this area have experienced at the hands of the Atuscans, and more specifically at the hands of the Church of Arton, you will forgive me for expecting to see you perform further deeds that would confirm your true dedication to the cause of proving Gosia Troskie's innocence. Have you learned anything of interest thus far, that you would care to share?

"If you truly are committed to liberating Gosia from her captors, then my companions and I just might welcome you to join our quest. Though how we can be assured that you are no spy is beyond me...

"As for the pendant... she merely said there was a pendant hidden in her home that could aid us on our journey through the Dimwood, but given that we were being closely watched by your barbaric brothers in arms who had already beaten her while they held her captive, she said no more."

Keildrithe's face has gone from pale white to dark crimson, evidently having great difficulty controlling his temper while speaking to Yruch. The bard's normally diplomatic stance seems to have been compromised by some deep-rooted emotional turmoil...


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:

Keildrithe's face has gone from pale white to dark crimson, evidently having great difficulty controlling his temper while speaking to Yruch. The bard's normally diplomatic stance seems to have been compromised by some deep-rooted emotional turmoil...

Laithe walks stiffly up behind Keildrithe and rests a hand on his shoulder. He is weary from the battle and his wounds, and has not the energy to match the bard's temper, though he understands his anger and perhaps in other circumstances would share it.

He speaks quietly. "The hedilye speaks truly; though I do not sense in you the malevolence that radiates from Vorn, I have witnessed far too much horror committed in the name of your god to welcome you with open arms. It will take more than this fight against the wolves to earn our trust."

He sighs and turns his back on Yruch to face the others. "In saying that, we are but a few hours into our quest and have already been stretched to our limits. Perhaps we are not in a position to turn down help, from wherever it is offered? What do you think?"


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Laithe Greycoat wrote:


He sighs and turns his back on Yruch to face the others. "In saying that, we are but a few hours into our quest and have already been stretched to our limits. Perhaps we are not in a position to turn down help, from wherever it is offered? What do you think?"

"You are right, of course, holy one," says Keildrithe while exhaling loudly, his colour and breathing gradually returning to normal. "I beg you, friends, forgive my anger..."


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2
Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:
Jirkin Faluen the Tenth wrote:
"Sorry again for my weak arms, i founds some items that will be useful" Jirkin pulls out the pots from his bag." And i also found this" Jirkin pulls out the pouch of coins "Gosia sure had a good hiding place, but could she have done that all by herself... could she?"

"A good question indeed, Jirkin. And no need to apologize for your weak arms -- we all have our strengths and weaknesses, as the day has shown thus far. Yet you played a critical role in the battle by finding Gosia's pendant, which seems to have had an effect on the wolves. And as Laithe so rightly pointed out, Alton has proven that despite his diminutive size, he is one of the sharpest archers in the lands of the empire. Pray that I never end up in his sights! But what are these pots you have found, Jirkin? And what do you make of the pendant -- have you seen or heard of one such as this before? The fog of battle still clouds my mind, and I do not recall ever having heard of this item in local legend or lore..."

Keildrithe hands Jirkin the pendant for inspection.

Jirkin looks at the pendent trying to remember his studies in the past to see if the pendent is related some how knowledge arcana= 19+4=23 He then places the 5 pots on the ground points out on the marking on the pots. As pot of change,healing,aura of protection,spider climb,bull's strength.


Male Human Researcher/4, Defender/5
Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:
"You are right, of course, holy one," says Keildrithe while exhaling loudly, his colour and breathing gradually returning to normal. "I beg you, friends, forgive my anger..."

Laithe squirms uncomfortably at the title, and some colour springs to his cheeks "Please, call me Laithe. I think I have a long way to go to earning the title of 'holy one'. If and when that time comes, I imagine I would still be uncomfortable with such a title. Especially among those I would count as friends..."

His voice drops to a mumble, petering out, and his eyes drop to the floor, feeling somewhat embarrassed. Seeing Jirkin lay out the bottles from the hole, he gladly focuses his attention on these, changing the topic.

"Gosia mentioned she wanted us to take these items as they may help in our quest. However, I feel we should not be too hasty to use them, particularly the money. In my mind they remain hers, and I would hope to return them to her once we free her. In the meantime, perhaps we can search for further clues and straighten up her cottage. If the Artonite chooses to stay, he can explain himself while we work. We may also want to think about our next move?"

Laithe begins to search the cottage, and at the same time tidy up some of the mess caused from the ransacking.

search check 6 + 2 = 8 (don't think I'll be finding much with that role! Perhaps some help?)


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4

apologies; that last post should be Laithe of course


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Laithe Greycoat wrote:


"Gosia mentioned she wanted us to take these items as they may help in our quest. However, I feel we should not be too hasty to use them, particularly the money. In my mind they remain hers, and I would hope to return them to her once we free her. In the meantime, perhaps we can search for further clues and straighten up her cottage. If the Artonite chooses to stay, he can explain himself while we work. We may also want to think about our next move?"

"Very well, Laithe. And I agree that we should use only as a last resort those personal items that Gosia bid us find."

Keildrithe helps Laithe to clean up and search the place (Search check: 2 - 1 = 1... man, what's with the crappy rolling!). As he does so, he adds: "Perhaps our next move should be to investigate the nearby spot where the body of young Feile was found? I wonder if we'll find a shortcut, or if we need to go back to the crossroads... Yruch, you are awfully quiet..."


I jump down from the loft after stowing my bow and say "It is an honor to fight besides you, even you, Artonite (this added somewhat grudgingly). I was not aware that you could take on the form of a wolf Laithe. Truly, you have been blessed by Elhonna. I agree that we should use these items sparingly and, if possible, return them or something of similair value. I suggest that we search this place for any information that could be found and then move on to this Valley of Snails." I begin looking carefully around the cottage, looking for anything that might aid us on our quest.
Search 19 (18+1).


Flying visit guys...

Jirkin, you recall that charms such as this are said to be
of some protection against the fey folk. Some say that looking
through the hole in the stone will allow the viewer to
penetrate a faerie's glamours.

However, you are unsure how much of this is truth, and how much
merely old wive's tales.

---

A further search of the cottage reveals little of interest. It
seems that the place has been thoroughly ransacked well before
you arrived. Clothes are crumbled and torn, all the books have
been taken from the shelves and are nowhere to be found, bottles
have been smashed, herbs ground under-foot...

---

There are two clear trails leaving this clearing, the one that you
entered by, and another, rising to higher ground within the forest
heading west. Laithe can clearly see numerous boot-prints on both
trails, a week old or less.


M Human Paladin 2

"These magical trinkets baffel me. If ideed Gosia is not a witch, why would she posses such things? I still hold by my misgivings at the accusations against her, but I also feel that these things are not exactly evidence for her innocence.

"As for their usage... It is not for me to say.

"I regret that you all (or, rather, most) feel such mistrust of me, and I shall strive to prove myself worthy of your friendship. The site of a death intrugues and concerns me. Inasmuch as my opinion matters, I feel that investigation of this area may be a good idea."


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Yruch Melkvor II wrote:

"These magical trinkets baffel me. If ideed Gosia is not a witch, why would she posses such things? I still hold by my misgivings at the accusations against her, but I also feel that these things are not exactly evidence for her innocence.

"As for their usage... It is not for me to say.

"I regret that you all (or, rather, most) feel such mistrust of me, and I shall strive to prove myself worthy of your friendship. The site of a death intrugues and concerns me. Inasmuch as my opinion matters, I feel that investigation of this area may be a good idea."

"Because one does not understand another's ways, does not make that other or their beliefs and practices in anyway evil. It just highlights the beholder's own ignorance. But enough bickering... I suggest that we see what lies on yonder trail, rising to the west, before we head back to the forks. Perhaps we shall find the ground upon which Feile was found, and evidence that the soldiers overlooked... whether intentionally, or due to incompetence..."


"I doubt that searching the grounds where the previous victims were found will yeild any further clues but we might as well. The day is still young so perhaps we can investigate those areas and then proceed towards the Valley of Snails and, if fortune favors us, Jarred Hale.
Artonite, while I still don't trust you I cannot ignore your efforts to keep my companions safe from the wolves. You no longer need worry about finding my blade between your ribs while you sleep. Unless of course, you betray us.
Which way is it to the place where the victims were found?"


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Alton Hilltopple wrote:
"Which way is it to the place where the victims were found?"

"Judging by the bootprints, I'm guessing it's this way, heading uphill to the west."

Keildrithe starts walking towards the trail, then hesitates and turns around, looking upon the party with weary eyes. "Laithe, Alton, Jirkin... my friends... I am the one who got us into this mess by challenging Padre Jalen and the Inquisitor in the town square. I am grateful for your companionship on this quest and feel stronger for it, but do not want you to feel obligated to see the mission through to its end. Many dangers lay ahead, and I fear that some of us may die in our attempts to liberate Gosia, else earn powerful and lifelong enemies in the process. I am the only one here who hails from Barg, who has pledged his life in public to proving Gosia innocent, and who has a direct stake in this matter... You owe neither me nor Gosia anything, and should not feel shamed should you wish to go your own way... And Artonite, you may do as you will..."

Without waiting for a reply, Keildrithe then turns around and moves toward the sloping western trail, sword still in hand and pack on his back. Note to the DM: Keildrithe has placed his beldach back in his pack.


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2
Yruch Melkvor II wrote:

"These magical trinkets baffel me. If ideed Gosia is not a witch, why would she posses such things? I still hold by my misgivings at the accusations against her, but I also feel that these things are not exactly evidence for her innocence.

"As for their usage... It is not for me to say.

"I regret that you all (or, rather, most) feel such mistrust of me, and I shall strive to prove myself worthy of your friendship. The site of a death intrugues and concerns me. Inasmuch as my opinion matters, I feel that investigation of this area may be a good idea."

Jirkin looks at Yruch saying nothing, then Jirkin puts his mask back on. " These are Gosia's reasons for having this pots that we may never find out. Your trust will soon be tested later on in this journey...," Jirkin then touches his forehead whispering to himself "What should we do, is she really guilty? If she is then i would be considered guilty too... stay calm Jirkin you are doing fine."


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2
Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:
Alton Hilltopple wrote:
"Which way is it to the place where the victims were found?"

"Judging by the bootprints, I'm guessing it's this way, heading uphill to the west."

Keildrithe starts walking towards the trail, then hesitates and turns around, looking upon the party with weary eyes. "Laithe, Alton, Jirkin... my friends... I am the one who got us into this mess by challenging Padre Jalen and the Inquisitor in the town square. I am grateful for your companionship on this quest and feel stronger for it, but do not want you to feel obligated to see the mission through to its end. Many dangers lay ahead, and I fear that some of us may die in our attempts to liberate Gosia, else earn powerful and lifelong enemies in the process. I am the only one here who hails from Barg, who has pledged his life in public to proving Gosia innocent, and who has a direct stake in this matter... You owe neither me nor Gosia anything, and should not feel shamed should you wish to go your own way... And Artonite, you may do as you will..."

Without waiting for a reply, Keildrithe then turns around and moves toward the sloping western trail, sword still in hand and pack on his back. Note to the DM: Keildrithe has placed his beldach back in his pack.

"I will help thee." Jirkin puts the pots back in his pack and holds on to the pendent and follows Keildrithe


"I am honored by your trust. I only hope that you're faith in our abilities is justified. If there is no other buisness here than I suggest that we move on. We do only have a week and the Laughing Rogue only knows what challenges and perils lie ahead of us. Speed is of the essence." With that I start off on the boot trail, whistling a merry travellers tune.


M Human Paladin 2

"The liberation of your friend is a noble cause. I will assist you in this, and hope that my help alleviate your fears that one of your group shall die, or at least lessen the possability."

Yruch moves to follow Keildrithe, Jirkin and Alton.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4

Laithe remains quiet and reflective as the group discusses Gosia's fate and the direction they will take next on their journey. He sits on one of the chairs, worn from the change into wolf form, and from the battle.

As the others start down the western trail, one-by-one, Laithe lingers a little. He pulls the broken door to the cottage shut as well as he can, hoping to minimise any further distruction to Gosia home, though suspecting that even if she does get acquitted she will not call this place home again.

Last, he moves to the bodies of the 2 wolves, laying dead in the clearing. "Noble brothers, worry not about your bodies here; they served you well in this life and you have no need of them on this, your final hunt. May the trail to the plains be wide and full of game".

With that, he moves up the trail, pushing stifly but swiftly to catch up to the group, and keeping his eye on the surrounding bushland, looking out for any sign of danger.


The narrow trail meanders up a slight rise, twisting its way through the silent, close packed trunks. The journey along the trail continues for only some five or ten minutes, before the trail opens out to a clearing.

This clearing is smaller than the last one, being only about forty feet in diameter, and is even more perfectly circular in shape than Gosia’s clearing. Tall fir trees surround the clearing at almost regular intervals, their outspread canopies almost completely blocking out the sky above the clearing, leaving this space almost as dim as the rest of the forest, apart from a few bright shafts of sunlight lancing down through gaps in the canopy near the center of the clearing. Fallen pine needles blanket the ground.

About ten feet from the edge of the trees is a circle of large stones, a circle some twenty feet in diameter, made up of thirteen stones. The stones themselves are shaped like irregular, round topped cones, about six feet tall, two to three feet wide at the base, about half that at the top. Most of the stones stand straight, or at a slight tilt, but one has fallen over, lying partially within the circle, and one has broken, only the bottom half of the stone remains.

There are three trails entering the clearing (including the one from which you have arrived, in the east), another in the south, and one in the west. All of the trails are quite narrow and somewhat overgrown.

Near the west part of the clearing, between the stones and the trees, the ground has been recently disturbed. The pine needles have been largely cleared from an area of earth, piled around in small heaps. The ground has been dug up here and there, including two fairly large holes, each roughly 5 feet long, two or three feet wide and a foot or two deep.

The air seems still and close within the clearing, and the silence is somewhat unnerving.

Spoiler for everyone except Alton and Yruch:

Spoiler:
You feel the small hairs on the back of your neck prickle. You have the distinct feeling you are being watched…


M Human Paladin 2

I assess my limited knowledge of the old ways and see if I can tell if these stones have religious significance. Knowledge (religion) check: 24. I may not personally have had any contact with this lore, however...

I also assess my new companions' reactions to the stones, especially Laithe's. Sense motive 11. Unless those are really overt, I got nuthin.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4

Follwoing the trail, Laithe makes his way to the front of the party, his eyes alternating between the trail on the ground and the surrounding foliage. Arriving at the clearing, he stops at the edge, the hair on his neck standing on end. He looks carefully around the clearing, seeing if he can spot anyone of anything.

spot check 15 + 6. Would Laithe have any knoweldge about stone circles such as this?

He says in quiet tones to the other "I'm not sure if it's just me, but I get the feeling we are not alone here. Take care and keep your eyes out. I'd also suggest avoiding moving inside the stone circle. It makes me uncomfortable"


Spoiler for Yruch:

Spoiler:
You understand that stone circles such as these were used by many pre-Artonite people in the north (including Karands, Thuringians, elves and dwarves), to mark places of some significance. Some were simply place markers, some had religious significance, some were said to mark places of great power, or great deeds, or great tragedy. Some were said to act as sort of arcane calendars, whilst some were said to mark places where the space between worlds was thin. Modern Karands sometimes use such circles in druidic ceremonies. Your studies aren’t complete enough to know the exact significance of this particular stone circle.
You notice that Laithe, Keildrithe and Jirkin seem somewhat ill at ease, and keep glancing around as though worried about something – or perhaps expecting something.

Spoiler for Laithe:

Spoiler:
Looking around, you notice a twisted fir tree just at the north edge of the clearing, with several long branches projecting into the dim forest around. Sitting in a number of these branches, between ten and twenty feet from the ground, partially obscured by the shadows of the wood, are a score or more of large crows or ravens. The birds all sit silently, apparently watching your group with their beady eyes, only the occasional slight shift or movement betraying their location. Your knowledge of nature indicates that this is not completely unheard of behavior in birds… but it still seems eerie.

Spoiler for Laithe and Keildrithe:

Spoiler:
You are both aware that such stone circles sometimes have significance in Karandic culture, as markers for places of note, or sometimes open air temples used by druids and others. However, although the Karands do sometimes raise such circles, many of them far predate “modern” Karandic society, and in many cases their original significance has been lost to time. I’ve made relevant knowledge checks for you both, although Keildrithe may attempt a Bardic knowledge check to try to learn more if he wishes.


M Human Paladin 2

"Indeed, this would be a perfect spot for an ambush of some sort. I shall keep vigilant. Spot check 11 The stones puzzle me, do you have any knowledge beyond your feeling? What purpose serves this structure?"

Yruch tries to see into the pits without getting too close Search? check 20


Yruch peers into the forest around the clearing, but can make out little in the dim light under the trees. He tries looking into the pits from the group’s current position on the east side of the clearing but can see little detail from here – he would need to get somewhat closer.

When / if crossing the clearing, let me know what path you choose – circle around the stones to the south, circles around the stones to the north, or pass straight through the center of the circle to cross from east to west.

Yruch, a search check will be more relevant on a closer inspection. I will allow you to re-use that roll, but you would need to be significantly closer to the pits.


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2
DM Mothman wrote:

The narrow trail meanders up a slight rise, twisting its way through the silent, close packed trunks. The journey along the trail continues for only some five or ten minutes, before the trail opens out to a clearing.

This clearing is smaller than the last one, being only about forty feet in diameter, and is even more perfectly circular in shape than Gosia’s clearing. Tall fir trees surround the clearing at almost regular intervals, their outspread canopies almost completely blocking out the sky above the clearing, leaving this space almost as dim as the rest of the forest, apart from a few bright shafts of sunlight lancing down through gaps in the canopy near the center of the clearing. Fallen pine needles blanket the ground.

About ten feet from the edge of the trees is a circle of large stones, a circle some twenty feet in diameter, made up of thirteen stones. The stones themselves are shaped like irregular, round topped cones, about six feet tall, two to three feet wide at the base, about half that at the top. Most of the stones stand straight, or at a slight tilt, but one has fallen over, lying partially within the circle, and one has broken, only the bottom half of the stone remains.

There are three trails entering the clearing (including the one from which you have arrived, in the east), another in the south, and one in the west. All of the trails are quite narrow and somewhat overgrown.

Near the west part of the clearing, between the stones and the trees, the ground has been recently disturbed. The pine needles have been largely cleared from an area of earth, piled around in small heaps. The ground has been dug up here and there, including two fairly large holes, each roughly 5 feet long, two or three feet wide and a foot or two deep.

The air seems still and close within the clearing, and the silence is somewhat unnerving.

Spoiler for everyone except Alton and Yruch:
[spoiler]You feel the small hairs on the back of your neck prickle. You have the distinct feeling you are being...

Jirkin stops listens listen= 13+3=16 " There is something wrong here..." Jirkin then trys to see if they are being watched spot=1+3=4 "it seems like my eyes are playing tricks on me again." Jirkin then follows the group.

301 to 350 of 7,851 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Age of Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.