Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Age of Darkness

Game Master Mothman

It is an age of darkness ...

A homebrew Pathfinder campaign.


1,301 to 1,350 of 7,851 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>

Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Laithe Greycoat wrote:

Laithe listens attentively to Keildrithe's questions and Jarred's ramblings. Once done he calls the others over to the otherside of the camp from where Jarred currently sits to discuss what they should do with him.

In a low voice, so as not to be overheard, Laithe speaks. "I'm leaning towards agreeing with Alton; I think we should untie him tonight, and encourage him to rest for the evening and lead us to the goblin lair tomorrow. I would be hesitant about returning his weapons to him until the morning. And of course we should take watch as planned, keeping an eye on him as well as the surroundings. What do you think?"

EDIT: Laithe does this after Jarred has had a chance to answer Keildrithe's questions (above)

"Agreed. I guess I shall have the pleasure of spending first watch with him, should he choose not to rest... Laithe, what might be some natural causes of such madness, or natural products that might induce it?" Keildrithe's attention drifts back towards Jarred as he begins to reflect on the questions he directed at Laithe...

Bardic Knowledge check: 15; Knowledge (nature): 4.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
DM Mothman wrote:
Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:


"There is strength in numbers, great King, especially when those numbers are bolstered by reverence for Ehlonna. What strategy would you advise, o wise and strong one, in order to defeat this new leader of the goblins? Please describe him to us... what does he look like? Be he man, goblin, or demon? What terrible powers does he (or she?) wield?"

Please make a diplomacy check to accompany the flattery!

10 + 4 = 14... meh...


Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:


"There is strength in numbers, great King, especially when those numbers are bolstered by reverence for Ehlonna. What strategy would you advise, o wise and strong one, in order to defeat this new leader of the goblins? Please describe him to us... what does he look like? Be he man, goblin, or demon? What terrible powers does he (or she?) wield?"

“Well, I have been combating their warriors in the wild, as befits a wilderness warrior such as the Boar King. But their leader …. Shaman of some type …. Magic and such …” he seems to be struck by a sudden thought, and looks at you shrewdly. “Ah, perhaps you lot have the power to defeat magic? Yes … perhaps we can scout the place, come morning….”


Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:


"Agreed. I guess I shall have the pleasure of spending first watch with him, should he choose not to rest... Laithe, what might be some natural causes of such madness, or natural products that might induce it?" Keildrithe's attention drifts back towards Jarred as he begins to reflect on the questions he directed at Laithe...

Bardic Knowledge check: 15; Knowledge (nature): 4.

You recall what Laithe knew of the strangely coloured mushrooms back at the tomb…

Wavy lines fill your vision as we segue into a flashback…

[flashback] The bright orange mushrooms, he believes, are of a variety known colloquially as Flaming Crazies. If ingested, these mushrooms can induce severe headaches, confusion, and hallucinations. If prepared by a knowledgeable alchemist or herbalist, and mixed with certain other herbs, these can be made into an injectable poison, which increases the delusional effects of the mushrooms and can cause long term madness, unless an antidote is administered.

The blue mushrooms are more benign, of a variety called Sapphire Caps. Common lore has that these mushrooms, if eaten, tend to fortify the eaters health for a short period, and increase the eater’s resistance to poison. Apothcaries will often pay good gold for these mushrooms, which can be used in a number of remedies and medicines. [/flashback]


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
DM Mothman wrote:


“Well, I have been combating their warriors in the wild, as befits a wilderness warrior such as the Boar King. But their leader …. Shaman of some type …. Magic and such …” he seems to be struck by a sudden thought, and looks at you shrewdly. “Ah, perhaps you lot have the power to defeat magic? Yes … perhaps we can scout the place, come morning….”

"King, we are pleased that you have such faith in us. And we shall return the favour in kind by untying you. Like all of us, you must rest and recoup your strength, for tomorrow may be the most gruelling day yet... we look forward to witnessing your leadership in battle tomorrow, and to doing Ehlonna's will alongside you..."

Keildrithe loosens the man's bonds cautiously, first double checking that his own dagger is near at hand should the man erupt in a wild frenzy or try to get away.

"Speaking of recouping strength... how is our friend Jirkin? Will he be well enough to journey with us on the morrow?"

Readies an action: if the King makes any hostile movements or runs, Keildrithe will attempt to grapple him...


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
DM Mothman wrote:
Keildrithe Oldsun wrote:


"Agreed. I guess I shall have the pleasure of spending first watch with him, should he choose not to rest... Laithe, what might be some natural causes of such madness, or natural products that might induce it?" Keildrithe's attention drifts back towards Jarred as he begins to reflect on the questions he directed at Laithe...

Bardic Knowledge check: 15; Knowledge (nature): 4.

You recall what Laithe knew of the strangely coloured mushrooms back at the tomb…

Wavy lines fill your vision as we segue into a flashback…

Laithe shakes his head a little, causing the wave lines to disappear and his eyes focus once more on the present : )

"The Flaming Crazies are certainly capable of this type of madness, though there are other narcotic type plants which may have similar effects". He pauses in though for a moment.

Realisation dawns in his eyes as he speaks once more "If our suspicions are true that the goblins released something from the tomb which then proceeded to kill their leader and assume control of the tribe, then the Flaming Crazies make a lot of sense, having been growing in the tomb from where this creature originated."

He turns to Alton. "Did you harvest some of the flaming crazies as well? If not we will need to go back for them before leaving the valley. When this thing is done, it might be possible to brew an antidote from them to aid Jarred. And if anyone can, it is likely to be Gosia. It seems the fates of these two are indeed entwined."

He ponders further "hmmm, I might be able to determine whether Jarred has poison coursing through his veins. I will have to commune with Ehlonna..." he trails off.

DM Mothman:

Spoiler:
As Laithe's bonus 0-Lvl spell, he will take Detect Poison


Upon being freed by Keildrithe, Jarred stretches and flexes his wrists, “Ah, that’s much better! Now my head! No? Wait till morning? Ah well, I suppose if I’ve gone this long without it, a little longer shouldn’t matter… Now, gather round children, I shall tell you some stories ….” And he settles down by the campfire.

Jirkin is still at 0 hit points. If he gets a good night’s sleep tonight, he should regain 2 hp. If Laithe (or someone else with a successful Heal check) stays up with him for eight hours of the night, giving him “long term care”, he can regain 4hp for a good night’s sleep, but that will put the carer at the risk of exhaustion come morning after a night with little or no sleep. Unless of course he can be provided with magical healing.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
DM Mothman wrote:

Upon being freed by Keildrithe, Jarred stretches and flexes his wrists, “Ah, that’s much better! Now my head! No? Wait till morning? Ah well, I suppose if I’ve gone this long without it, a little longer shouldn’t matter… Now, gather round children, I shall tell you some stories ….” And he settles down by the campfire.

Jirkin is still at 0 hit points. If he gets a good night’s sleep tonight, he should regain 2 hp. If Laithe (or someone else with a successful Heal check) stays up with him for eight hours of the night, giving him “long term care”, he can regain 4hp for a good night’s sleep, but that will put the carer at the risk of exhaustion come morning after a night with little or no sleep. Unless of course he can be provided with magical healing.

Laithe needs some rest himself tonight, but will be able to provide Jirkin with some magical healing tomorrow.

Not yet ready to sleep himself, Laithe settles down by the campfire to listen to Jarred's stories. He pulls out his knife and a piece of wood he picked up while he was foraging, and sets about whittling away at it while he listens, fashioning a miniature unicorn. But not a very good one! craft check 4 + 4 = 8


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Laithe Greycoat wrote:


Not yet ready to sleep himself, Laithe settles down by the campfire to listen to Jarred's stories.

Keildrithe first heads over to the nearby creek to freshen up before settling down with the rest of the group. He listens intently to every word Jarred speaks, imagining patterns and personages in the dancing flames as the madman tells his tales. "Who better to tell us of the Boar King's exploits than the Boar King himself?"


Jarred tells a number of improbable tales about the exploits of the King of Boars, and various other faerie tales. No doubt Keildrithe can add some tales of his own to the story telling.

Once the stories and dinner is done, the camp turns in for a relatively early night. The Boar King insists on standing a turn at watch, but soon drops into a deep sleep – and his “turn at watch” is easily avoided by just not waking him.

The night watches are disturbed a number of times by the calls of animals, including the roar of some beast, probably the great cat that Alton encountered earlier in the afternoon. But it seems that this campsite is well chosen, as nothing threatens the camp, at least not this night. The night is cold, and dark, but with blankets, tents and your protected fire, you fare well enough.

During Laithe’s watch, the dog, Gral, awakens from his sleep, gives a soft growl, and pads off into the night. When Laithe tries to follow, he gives a warning growl as if, for once this time, he does not wish to be followed.

When morning comes, everyone has had a good night’s rest. All wounded characters can regain 2hp, and spellcasters are in a fresh state of mind to prepare spells (or regain their spell slots as the case may be.)

It may be a good idea for casters to list their prepared spells, or spell slots remaining for the day in their profiles too.


Male Human Actor 2/ Mime 1/ Drag Queen 1

I am back, just need to read and catch back up.


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2

Jirkin wakes up early, from a nightmare, forgeting what happening when he fell asleep his eyes look in surprise at the Boar King, getting up quickyly.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
Jirkin Faluen the Tenth wrote:
Jirkin wakes up early, from a nightmare, forgeting what happening when he fell asleep his eyes look in surprise at the Boar King, getting up quickyly.

Having taken the last watch before dawn, Laithe see's Jirkin start in surprise at seeing the Boar King, and motions to him that it is ok, quickly recounting all that happened while he slept yesterday evening.

He then takes a look at Jirkin's bandages and cleans the wounds with some hot water boiled in the pot over the campafire. He lays his hands on the worst of the wounds and calls on the healing power of Ehlonna to help them close.

Laithe casts Cure minor wounds twice on Jirkin, restoring him an extra 2 hit points.

Once the camp has raised, he throws out the question; "I remain convinced that we need to track down these goblins and their leaders to get to the bottom of these murders. Should we travel there today and take a closer look? Ja....Boar King, can you show us the way there?"


I think I just harvested the Sapphire Caps. An oversight in retrospect.
"I think it would be best to seek out the goblins and their mysterious leader as soon as possible so we can complete our original objective. I'm afraid I don't have any of the other mushrooms, only the blue ones." I say as I pack up my equipment. "Where should we go? I think we should investigate that cave with the bats tat we found."


Korday the tenth of Gerron dawns as a somewhat cold, overcast day, though it is dry, at least for now. At some point in the morning activity – waking up, breaking fast, re-packing, praying, preparing spells – someone realizes that Jarred is gone. However, as Laithe prepares to start tracking him, he returns, having retrieved his dropped boar’s head and weapons from the afternoon before, and is not back in his full Boar King get-up.

“Yes!” his voice booms hollowly from within the gruesome mask. “I shall lead you to the hidden village of the Slithering Snails – the goblin tribe. But no, it is not to be found in bat filled cave, perhaps you speak of the path out of the valley? No, it rests hidden in the lee of that black rock over yonder! Shall we proceed?”

Jarred seems ready to go, and whilst still clearly not of sound mind, he has not reverted to the aggressive persona of your first encounter with him.

The dog, Gral, has not returned to the camp.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
DM Mothman wrote:

Korday the tenth of Gerron dawns as a somewhat cold, overcast day, though it is dry, at least for now. At some point in the morning activity – waking up, breaking fast, re-packing, praying, preparing spells – someone realizes that Jarred is gone. However, as Laithe prepares to start tracking him, he returns, having retrieved his dropped boar’s head and weapons from the afternoon before, and is not back in his full Boar King get-up.

“Yes!” his voice booms hollowly from within the gruesome mask. “I shall lead you to the hidden village of the Slithering Snails – the goblin tribe. But no, it is not to be found in bat filled cave, perhaps you speak of the path out of the valley? No, it rests hidden in the lee of that black rock over yonder! Shall we proceed?”

Jarred seems ready to go, and whilst still clearly not of sound mind, he has not reverted to the aggressive persona of your first encounter with him.

The dog, Gral, has not returned to the camp.

Laithe looks with disdain upon the Boar Mask, but responds "Yes, I'm not sure if there is much to be found from the bat filled cave, though if time permitted I would definitely take a closer look. But I think we should leave it for now and track down these goblins at the Black Rock. Lead on, King of the Boars" Laithe grimaces as he uses the title, but figures it best for the time being to go along with it.


I sigh as Jarred speaks and I wrap up my bedroll. "He's crazy." I think to myself and then say aloud "Yes, lead on, King of Boars. Do you know how many the goblins are in number? How many mages or shamans do they possess? Are they well armed? Any additional information about their tribe and the area in which the live would be much appreciated as it is hard to form a plan with little information and without a plan we are almost certainly doomed to failure." I shoulder my pack and stand expectantly, waiting for the Boar King to lead us forward.


“Ah, they have many warriors, though weak and tricky for the most part. I have slain many of them, I believe that less than a dozen remain, but those that do live still are the hardiest and trickiest of the bunch. The warriors are led by a grizzled, grey haired one, who has learnt much of woodcraft. The shaman, there is only one… Now! We must be silent and careful on our traverse of the valley, there could be ambushes waiting for us at any turn! Follow me, tread only where I tread! Are you ready? Then we leave,” and he turns and begins walking to the oak tree at the edge of the clearing, seemingly intending to climb it.


"I'm quite talented in the arts of stealth. It should pose no problem for me." I say to the King and then, as he's walking away "Well. Shall we my friends?" and begin to follow him.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
Alton Hilltopple wrote:
"I'm quite talented in the arts of stealth. It should pose no problem for me." I say to the King and then, as he's walking away "Well. Shall we my friends?" and begin to follow him.

Laithe nods yes, but seeing the planned route of Jarred/Boar King he calls out. "Boar King, some of us are not as adept as yourself as traversing the tree tops, and may risk injuring ourselves before we reach the goblins should we follow you into the trees. Can you lead us an alternate route so that we may follow safely. We can cover any tracks we might leave behind.


"Yes, that would probably be for the best!" I shout to the Boar King.
"We'll surely fail if one of us should fall to our deaths or become severley injured."


Jarred looks at you for a long moment, then gives an exaggerated sigh, and begins heading out the way that Laithe suggested, trusting you all to follow.

Guys, sorry if it seems I’m dragging this out a bit, I know some of you are probably eager to get going, but I just want to make sure everyone has had a chance to level up, and that Dirk / Yruch is back on board and reasonably caught up. I know there’s not much info to go on at this stage, but if you want to discuss strategy re the goblins etc in the discussion thread, feel free.


I hurry to catch up to the Boar King and say "Earlier I asked for information on the layout of the goblin's cave and the surrounding area. I need that information to formulate a plan of attack. Also, is there a time when most of the goblins are asleep or vulnerable in some way? What kind of watches do they have set up? I'm of the opinion that we should try to take out their leader first. My guess would be that if we take him out, the rest of the goblin's should be relatively easy to kill. Is that correct?" in a slightly impatient tone.


While he waits for the others to finish their packing and catch up, Jarred answers you, in his somewhat haphazard fashion, his voice booming behind the boar head helm. It is really rather disconcerting talking to that head, and up close you can smell the stench of the poorly cured hide.

“Tis better to see their village than to describe it, but in brief, they lair in a hollow in the rock, quite open, rather than a true cave. Their village is protected by a ditch, and consists of perhaps four or so huts. The goblins, of course, prefer the cover of night to the bright of day, but they still guard their village during the day, I would think they will have at the least one or two watchers posted at all times. Their leader … ah, yes, ‘tis possible. He is more powerful than the others,” and he shudders slightly, then turns away from you.


I sigh in a slightly exasperated manner and ask "So there are places to set up for some sniping?"


Jarred snorts. “The Boar King does not “snipe,” it is not fitting. However … well, there are some trees about, but none within some fifty feet or more of the trench protecting the village. Still, it should be within the range of even that small bow that you carry.”


M Human Paladin 2

I assume they are all still in the cave. What, if anything is happening at the campsite? I will watch the thread to find out when they get back to camp. In the meantime, reading is fundamental...


Yruch Melkvor II wrote:
I assume they are all still in the cave. What, if anything is happening at the campsite? I will watch the thread to find out when they get back to camp. In the meantime, reading is fundamental...

No, they're back at camp, the night has passed, and we're ready to head out in the morning. I decided that nothing would happen at camp while they were gone, as it would mean me making too many arbitrary decisions on behalf of you and Awed.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4
DM Mothman wrote:
Jarred snorts. “The Boar King does not “snipe,” it is not fitting. However … well, there are some trees about, but none within some fifty feet or more of the trench protecting the village. Still, it should be within the range of even that small bow that you carry.”

"Well, if everyone is ready to go, let's get moving. We will get a better idea of the best plan of attack once we see the Goblin camp". Laithe urges Jarred on, and follows close behind.


The group sets off through the scrub in Jarred’s wake. It is a rather unpleasant journey all told. Jarred continually stops to admonish members of the group for being too noisy, or trampling over young saplings, or scaring off the wild life – never mind that his admonishments often cause more commotion than the offense that sparked them. He warns of ambushes and watching eyes, although neither are apparent or forthcoming. Several times he despairs of bringing you to the goblin village, but in the end you manage to convince him into continuing.

Your path takes you up the hill, past the remains of the burnt out cottage – the ‘Boar King’ confirms it as having once belonged to Jarred, but refuses to comment on it further, and along the path by the reeds beside the lake. After you pass south of the point where you yesterday gained the path after trekking through the grasslands, the path turns westward, and passes through denser woodlands, running roughly parallel to a swiftly flowing stream, sometimes within sight of it, sometimes not.

After an hour and a half’s journey along this path, Jarred calls a halt a fairly non-descript point of the path. Here, the path is separated from the stream by only a narrow band of trees, and there is a faint trail running north from this path towards the stream.

Gathering you close, Jarred whispers, “the village lies yonder, beyond the stream. We must be quite now.”

He leads you to the stream, which is quite shallow at this point, with a ford formed from small rocks just below the surface of the water. Beyond the stream, the forest continues for another two hundred feet or so, before ending abruptly. Jarred calls another halt several feet within the treeline, and silently points to the large, black rock edifice which looms to the north beyond.

---

Nestled in the shadowy recesses of a large crook in the rock formation, squats a collection of four primitive huts around a central fire pit. Rock walls overshadow the entire area, giving the impression of a vast, shallow cave. A few hardy trees and bushes surround the huts, which are constructed of timber and animal hides, with roves of cured reeds and leaves. The entire place is protected by a narrow trench dug in the earth before the huts, stretching across the indentation in the rock formation. Across the trench, partially obscuring the huts, stands a series of boulders. A long wooden plank leans against one of them. The area in front of the trench has been cleared of brush within fifty feet, with even twigs and fallen leaves having been swept into several piles.

---

Technical description: The indentation in the black rock formation, housing the small village, is about 90 feet wide, perhaps 60 or 70 feet deep, and of a similar height. The trench in front is about five feet wide and stretches the entire width of the indentation, with fairly sheer cliffs up the face of the rock formation on either side, although on the right hand side of the indentation there appears to be some sort of ledge about forty feet up.

The area between the tree-line and the formation – a distance of about fifty feet – is almost completely cleared of vegetation, although small twigs, cut grass, and fallen leaves have been gathered into three distinct piles near the trench (with four more piles on the village side of the trench).

Four fairly large boulders rest on the far side of the trench, about five feet back from it, two near the left hand side, the other two near the right hand side, with a clear area of about 25 feet in the middle, between the two pairs of boulders. To the left of the left-hand boulders and in between the two right hand boulders are clumps of small trees and scraggly bushes. The seven foot long wooden plank rests against the larger of the two left hand boulders.

About ten feet back from each group of boulders is a hut (x2), each between ten and fifteen feet in diameter and about six feet tall. Another hut of a similar size is located near the back, right hand corner of the indentation – with another large boulder next to it – and a fourth, slightly larger hut sits almost against the back wall of the indentation, in the centre of the wall. This hut has a number of barrels outside it, and between these two back huts is another small copse of trees.

In the centre of the space, between the four huts, is large fire pit, with a series of wooden braces hanging over it. The rest of this central space is mostly bare earth, with a few half barrels, crates and a crude wooden cage scattered about.

You may make spot checks, or other rolls as you wish.


M Human Paladin 2

Retroactively and possably while we leave the camp: Yruch uses his Lay on Hands ability for the first time ever on Jirkin. 2 hp. I know what ability score I'm increasing at 4th level. Jirkin should be close to full now, having that d4 hd. At this point, Yruch would probably explain how he came upon the methods of divine healing while perusing the Book of Arton, but in present company (Boar King) decides to forgo that.

Upon reaching the goblin village, Yruch readies his mace and prepares to hear the "Boar King's" plan of attack.

Spot, 16+2=18. Initiative, if needed, is 10+3=13.


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2
Yruch Melkvor II wrote:

Retroactively and possably while we leave the camp: Yruch uses his Lay on Hands ability for the first time ever on Jirkin. 2 hp. I know what ability score I'm increasing at 4th level. Jirkin should be close to full now, having that d4 hd. At this point, Yruch would probably explain how he came upon the methods of divine healing while perusing the Book of Arton, but in present company (Boar King) decides to forgo that.

Upon reaching the goblin village, Yruch readies his mace and prepares to hear the "Boar King's" plan of attack.

Spot, 16+2=18. Initiative, if needed, is 10+3=13.

Jirkin nods thanking Yruch,then prepare for anything to happen looking, spot-19+3=22


I peer at the space in front of us, trying to determine if there are any goblins or other nasty surprises waiting for us.
Spot 15 (13+2)
I turn to the Boar King and ask "Is there a way that two or three of us could sneak into the goblin village? Perhaps a back door of some kind?"
Initiative: 20 (16+4)


Spot 12+

Spoiler:
You briefly spot a small head pop out from beside one of the boulders on the left (beyond the ditch) then duck back down. A faint plume of smoke leaks out from cracks in the roof of the largest hut.

Spot 17+

Spoiler:
You see what appears to be the tip of a spear just sticking out from around the side of one of the boulders to the right.

Spot 20+

Spoiler:
You notice that there appear to be some type of animals – perhaps dogs – sleeping in one of the cages near the center of the village.

Spot 22+

Spoiler:
You notice a small figure, partially concealed, on the ledge up above the village, it appears to be keeping watch on the cleared space in front of the village.

“A back way in?” mutters the Boar King. “Not that I know of lad. A frontal assault, that’s what’d have to be. Unless you have a better idea. There’s always been too many of them for me to try it, but maybe with you lot…”


"I just saw a head poke out from behind one of those boulders." I whisper, pointing at the boulder so as to conceal the action from the creature behind the boulder.
Are we in a place that they probably haven't seen us yet or are we easily visible? Hide (if applicable) 21 (12+9)
"I think that if two of us, perhaps Yruch and I, accompanied you, Boar King, on you frontal assault while the others stayed back and provided ranged support we might be able to pull this off. I suggest that Laithe use that nifty ability of his, the one that lets him turn into a wolf, and could mabye do a little scouting for us without arousing to much suspicion. I'd like to know whats inside of that trench. Yruch, earlier you healed Jirkin by touching him. How often can you do that? Jirkin, I'd like to try to draw them out of there to see what their defensive plan is after Laithe does a scouting run, if he agrees to do that. Do you have any spells that might mimic an attack or approaching soldiers so we could see what kind of defenses they have in place." I whisper to the rest of the group, trying to formulate a plan.


You are currently about fifteen feet back within the tree line, under deep shadow. It would take a sharp eyed watcher to see you from here. If you move much further forward your visibility from the village will improve dramatically.


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2
Alton Hilltopple wrote:
" Jirkin, I'd like to try to draw them out of there to see what their defensive plan is after Laithe does a scouting run, if he agrees to do that. Do you have any spells that might mimic an attack or approaching soldiers so we could see what kind of defenses they have in place." I whisper to the rest of the group, trying to formulate a plan.

Jirkin whispher back, "Wait!I see a figure on the ledge above the village, it seems to be keeping watch in front of the village, so we must to careful not get caught." Jirkin thinks of the spells that would help what Alton is talking about. "What i could do is cast the sound of one of there crying in pain, that could draw them away." Jirkin whispers


"How many of these creatures did you say there were? A dozen?" I ask the Boar King when Jirkin tells me about the creature on the ledge. "Do you have any idea what their defenses are like?".
"Jirkin; I've heard of spells that reproduce an image, such as of a soldier. Do you have such a spell? The one that makes a sound like someone screaming could be useful once the battle starts or right before it starts but I was looking for something that could draw them out so we could see how they responded to a threat." I say to Jirkin.
Working on a plan, should have it mostly figured out soon.


Male Half-Elf Wisard 2
Alton Hilltopple wrote:

"How many of these creatures did you say there were? A dozen?" I ask the Boar King when Jirkin tells me about the creature on the ledge. "Do you have any idea what their defenses are like?".

"Jirkin; I've heard of spells that reproduce an image, such as of a soldier. Do you have such a spell? The one that makes a sound like someone screaming could be useful once the battle starts or right before it starts but I was looking for something that could draw them out so we could see how they responded to a threat." I say to Jirkin.
Working on a plan, should have it mostly figured out soon.

Jirkin nods his head, then whispher back "i do have that spell, luckily i had it all set and prepared."


"Excellent. I think I've got this mostly figured out, just give me a few minutes." I whisper and then stare ahead at the goblin village, lost in thought.


“Yes, I can scout in wolf form,” Laithe nods. “You are right, it should arouse less suspicion, although I’m still not sure those things will want a wolf at their doorstep either.”

The Boar King nods is response to Alton. “Aye, a dozen or so left by my reckoning, perhaps less. I’ve never been into their village, but I know they have spikes at the bottom of that trench.”


“Alright, here’s my plan. If he agrees then Laithe will scout out the defenses, specifically the trench in wolf form. It shouldn’t be hard for him to act like a wolf that’s just out scavenging. However, if they approach he should run off, circling around to us so that it doesn’t draw their attention to this spot. Then Jirkin will cast his spell to make it look like there’s a soldier of some kind approaching. That way we can see how they respond to a threat. How we proceed after that depends on how they respond to the illusion. I’m guessing that the best idea will be to leave two or three of us back here to provide ranged support. I’m thinking that Jirkin, Keildrithe and Laiteh can stay back here and provide us with ranged support and spellcasting. Perhaps Keildrithe could use his musical powers; those seem to aid us in times of need. Jirkin could create some illusions to confuse our enemies and Laithe could use his sling. Yruch, the Boar King, and myself could go forward and engage them in combat. If the battle is going badly for us Laithe could turn into a wolf and come to our aid. Our objective should be to take out the leader with all possible haste. Perhaps once we’ve identified the leader and hit him with a couple of ranged attacks then Laithe could turn into a wolf and, well, I could ride him across the trench as I doubt that I could jump it myself and I’m guessing that there’s some form of nastiness in the trench. Of course I’ll understand if that option isn’t one you want to pursue. Alternatively I could use the powder we found in Gosia’s cottage to climb up over the walls and down into the village, where I could wait until nightfall and eliminate their leader in his sleep.” I whisper.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Alton Hilltopple wrote:
“Alright, here’s my plan. If he agrees then Laithe will scout out the defenses, specifically the trench in wolf form. It shouldn’t be hard for him to act like a wolf that’s just out scavenging. However, if they approach he should run off, circling around to us so that it doesn’t draw their attention to this spot. Then Jirkin will cast his spell to make it look like there’s a soldier of some kind approaching. That way we can see how they respond to a threat. How we proceed after that depends on how they respond to the illusion. I’m guessing that the best idea will be to leave two or three of us back here to provide ranged support. I’m thinking that Jirkin, Keildrithe and Laiteh can stay back here and provide us with ranged support and spellcasting. Perhaps Keildrithe could use his musical powers; those seem to aid us in times of need. Jirkin could create some illusions to confuse our enemies and Laithe could use his sling. Yruch, the Boar King, and myself could go forward and engage them in combat. If the battle is going badly for us Laithe could turn into a wolf and come to our aid. Our objective should be to take out the leader with all possible haste. Perhaps once we’ve identified the leader and hit him with a couple of ranged attacks then Laithe could turn into a wolf and, well, I could ride him across the trench as I doubt that I could jump it myself and I’m guessing that there’s some form of nastiness in the trench. Of course I’ll understand if that option isn’t one you want to pursue. Alternatively I could use the powder we found in Gosia’s cottage to climb up over the walls and down into the village, where I could wait until nightfall and eliminate their leader in his sleep.” I whisper.

"The night has brought me some vague memories of key words that my grandfather would insert in some of his verses, and of their proper pitch and intonation. Those words frequently made those upon whom they were cast fall into a deep slumber. I could attempt to make use of these words of power, if you believe they might enhance your plan. Also, when need be, I can recite the Ode to the Boar King... trust me, it will raise our spirits and will help us to strike true in the thick of battle. I don't believe we have the luxury to wait until nightfall before we act, and if I am not mistaken, goblins are nocturnal creatures that have an aversion to sunlight... wouldn't it therefore be more prudent to strike during the day? Perhaps Alton could climb up the back of the rock, while Jirkin lures some goblins out with a spell and Laithe leaps into their camp in wolf form. I could put a few of the sentries in a daze. Then, during the ensuing commotion caused by the wolf in the camp, I could attempt to put some goblins to sleep, and then Yruch, the Boar King and myself (and Jirkin, if he is up to it) could charge the front entrance and meet Laithe and Alton in battle at the heart of the settlement (alternately, Alton might be able to sneak upon the leader as the battle commences)... Boar King, I pray that you do not underestimate the number of goblins that reside in the settlement... else, this could be a quick end for us all. What think ye, my friends?"


NPCing Laithe.

Laithe ponders for a few moments, then speaks. “Hmmm, I think your plan has merit Alton, and I certainly don’t mind doing some initial scouting in wolf form. What should I be looking for specifically, things like the width and depth of the trench? And testing out their defenses with an illusion seems good –and fortuitous that Jirkin can use such a spell! But do we lose an element of surprise if we do that?”

“As for ranged attacks, yes, I am a decent shot with my sling – although I think from here, amongst the trees, it will be quite a long shot to the trench with a sling stone.”

“I have no problems with you riding my wolf form Alton, if it should come to that – as long as you can hang on tightly!”

“As for you going in on your own, I’m not sure about that – it sounds pretty dangerous for one person. But you bring up an interesting point in regards to Gosia’s potions and powders – perhaps if there is any time to use them it would be in this escapade…”

“But the plan possibly falls down in that we do not know if we will be able to draw them out beyond the trench, outside of their defenses .. in which case Keildrithe’s plan does not rely on us drawing them out in the initial attack..”


M Human Paladin 2

"Alton, your plan seems sound, though Keildrithe's suggestion that we attack in daylight where they may have a weakness is also a good one.

Keildrithe, sleep sounds usefull, however we cannot be sure it would affect all of them, and should a wakful goblin be near one that is put to sleep, the alarm would surely be raised. I feel that overall Alton's plan is the best in this situation.

As for my newfound skill in healing--I have aquired it only recently, and am still unskilled. I am afraid that I have used up this ability for now in healing Jirkin, though I do not feel that the pittence I am capable of healing would be useful in battle even if I had not already used it." Total points healed per day=Cha modifier*Paladin level. Cha=13, Level=2. 2points/day. Not very useful yet.


"So what shall it be?" asks the Boar King, fidgeting, obviously agitated. "Is everyone prepared? Explain my part again?"


As you stand talking, and watching the goblin village, there is movement at one of the huts. A short, humanoid figure emerges from the hut near the front, right hand side of the village, and ambles over towards the rear of the depression, out of sight behind another hut. After a few minutes it strolls back and re-enters the original tent.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
Alton Hilltopple wrote:
“Yruch, the Boar King, and myself could go forward and engage them in combat. If the battle is going badly for us Laithe could turn into a wolf and come to our aid. Our objective should be to take out the leader with all possible haste."

"Esteemed Boar King, are you sure of your estimates of the number of goblins? If you underestimate their numbers, this offensive could become a slaughter... at our expense.

"What if we first tried to lure them out in smaller numbers, perhaps with disguises or an effigy, with the goal of leading them in small numbers into a trap. Who knows, they may even decide to come out and hunt Laithe in whatever form he chooses to take. We could lure these smaller numbers into the woods, out of site from the settlement and pick them off in order to decrease the number of defenders remaining in the settlement. We might even be able to use some of their gear to approach the settlement without raising their suspicions... Alton, in particular, could pass for a goblin if given the proper gear.

"And Boar King... you still have told us very little about this new leader of the goblins. I think you know more than you have told us. As your loyal followers, we have a right to know what we are up against, so that we may better defend you, our liege. What does the leader look like, what power has he... she?... it?... manifested? And have the goblins of this vale always been wicked, or is it merely the influence of this new leader that has made them so of late? The fact that Jarred Hale lived nearby, in the same valley, suggests they once experienced peaceful coexistence. I hesitate to take lives when I remain uncertain of the true extent of their wickedness, or reasons therefore... However unlinely it may appear, perhaps they have valid greivances of their own, and would be willing to parley?"


“I am a warrior, chosen of fair Ehlonna, not a shopkeeper man! I have not taken an exact tally of their numbers, but as I said, I believe I have whittled them down to a dozen or fewer warriors!” The ‘Boar-Kings’ voice begins to rise to an uncomfortably loud level, given your present condition – a reminder of his erratic behavior. With an effort, he seems to control himself, and continues in a quieter – although somewhat sullen – tone.

“Their new leader, as I’ve told you – I’m sure I’ve told you! – is the shaman, and his …. Erm, his pet, the spider … ugh, nasty thing …..”

“Oh, to be sure they’re evil, at least it seems to us, ‘tis their nature; but a tricky, cowardly evil, easily checked for the most part …. Jarred could keep them in check. The shaman though, always a bad one … something’s stirred them up now….”

“As for attacking them in small groups, via ambush – why, what do you think I’ve been doing?! Twas yourselves who suggested attacking the village… But they have grown wary, after losing so many warriors, I suspect they will be loath to leave their safe position, except in numbers, and under the cover of night…”


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1
DM Mothman wrote:

“I am a warrior, chosen of fair Ehlonna, not a shopkeeper man! I have not taken an exact tally of their numbers, but as I said, I believe I have whittled them down to a dozen or fewer warriors!” The ‘Boar-Kings’ voice begins to rise to an uncomfortably loud level, given your present condition – a reminder of his erratic behavior. With an effort, he seems to control himself, and continues in a quieter – although somewhat sullen – tone.

“Their new leader, as I’ve told you – I’m sure I’ve told you! – is the shaman, and his …. Erm, his pet, the spider … ugh, nasty thing …..”

“Oh, to be sure they’re evil, at least it seems to us, ‘tis their nature; but a tricky, cowardly evil, easily checked for the most part …. Jarred could keep them in check. The shaman though, always a bad one … something’s stirred them up now….”

“As for attacking them in small groups, via ambush – why, what do you think I’ve been doing?! Twas yourselves who suggested attacking the village… But they have grown wary, after losing so many warriors, I suspect they will be loath to leave their safe position, except in numbers, and under the cover of night…”

"Please forgive my ignorance and forgetfulness, I did not mean to offend you, m'lord. You do not think that the goblins might be tempted to venture forth and hunt a boar, if it lurked near their settlement? What other suggestions might you have for overcoming our foes, O wise king, who have so much more experience in dealing with sneaky goblins than do we well-intentioned yet naive outsiders? Anything other than a full attack? And if Jarred could keep them in check without violence... is their no hope for us to do the same? I guess that would depend on our ability to overcome the leader without delay, wouldn't it..."

1,301 to 1,350 of 7,851 << first < prev | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Age of Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.