Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Age of Darkness

Game Master Mothman

It is an age of darkness ...

A homebrew Pathfinder campaign.


7,751 to 7,800 of 7,851 << first < prev | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | next > last >>

Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

Keildrithe nods at his friend, then kneels among the toxic plants, using his gloved hands to keep them away from his face. He hopes they will provide sufficient concealment to keep both his sight and scent hidden from the beast man.

"Ehlonna be with you, Laithe," he whispers.

Stealth: 17 + 7 = 24.


Nicholai mutters the words of a prayer he had almost forgotten as the door shudders once more under the terrific impact. He looks up and almost gives a very unmanly yelp at discovering Kajetan crouching next to him. He gives the spellcaster a smile that is far more confident than he actually feels.


Laithe, you're fairly confident that you can find a suitable path. Light may be a problem, the sun has set and there is a light mist; however the moon is full and very bright.

Given that you were conversing with Keildrithe, I have you over near his position for now.


Keildrithe, in round two you are hiding; anything else?

Nicolai, action for round 2? I'll need a stealth check if you are hiding.

Kajetan, any further action in round 1? What is the plan for round 2?


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

Keildrithe will snip a few more sprigs of wolfsbane while in hiding. He has the silver knife in hand, and is otherwise preparing to make a dash for the cabin once Laithe leads the werewolf into the woods. Decided that there probably isn't much point casting enthrall at this point in time, or otherwise giving away my position.


Stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Nicholai tries to hide behind his bush, but he is a city boy, used to playing hide-and-seek in the ruins of old building and back alleys. Thinking he is hidden nevertheless, he follows the bard's example and plucks some wolvesbane from the bush. Seeing the stain the fresh sap leaves on his gloves, he wrinkles his nose in distaste, but this is no time to be concerned with his wardrobe,...

Chastising himself for his selfishness, he runs through a prayer in his mind. A prayer he finds useful using as a focus for his protective magics.

Cutting a sprig of wolvesbane this round. Mentally prepared to cast Prot vs. Evil


Alright, we can come back to Kajetan if he wants to take any further actions in round 1.


There is another mighty crash at the door. There is a loud cracking sound, but the door appears to hold.


Init, Round 2:
Keildrithe: 21 – Hiding in O11. Has sprigs of wolfsbane and silver knife to hand. Bless
Nicolai: 20 – hiding in bush at T11, cutting wolfsbane. Bless
The Creature: 20
Kajetan: 17 – T10. Bless
Alton: 13 – R29. Opening shed? Bless
Laithe: 9 – P9. Guidance, Bless

Kajetan, Alton and Laithe are up in round 2.


Sorry for the AFK, in the process of winding my business up, so free time is at a premium.

Spells cast: Chill Touch, Glitter Dust, Spectral hand and False Life.

Question 1: Has it been longer than 4 hours since the start of the ogre fight, if not then I at least have false life still running.

Round 1: Kajetan shudders each time the door crashes and racks his brains for a way to help his companions, removing his back pack he grins at Nicolai, only his teeth showing beneath his hood, "don't want this slowing me down if I have to run." Opening the pack he removes one of the ceramic tablets and casts a light spell, trying to shield as much as the light as he can. "kind of defeats the idea of hiding" he states as he illuminates the hiding place.

Round 2: Kajetan starts muttering the arcane words of power, tracing the shapes carved into the tablet with his fingers. The cold ground leaching the warmth from him.

Start a full round action to cast summon monster 2.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4

Laithe watches the door intently, prepared to act the moment it gives way.

Hold action


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

After Alton has acted, top of round 3...

Keildrithe grits his teeth and flinches with every blow to the door, but continues to couch patiently in the patch of wolfsbane.

Continues readying action -- will run for the cabin once Laithe leads the wolf into the woods... assuming everything goes according to plan... and you know that they say about people who assume... :-)


Male Halfling Rouge 4

Alton hurries on, hastened by the sound of the door cracking. He opens the door of the shed and looks frantically around the room for anything of use. perception check 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


Kajetan Armann wrote:
Sorry for the AFK, in the process of winding my business up, so free time is at a premium.

Hope it is going ok ADMAE?

Kajetan Armann wrote:


Question 1: Has it been longer than 4 hours since the start of the ogre fight, if not then I at least have false life still running.
Kajetan Armann wrote:


Start a full round action to cast summon monster 2.

What are you planning on summoning? If you have in mind something from a source published after the Core Rule book, that would be appropriate to the level of the spell (based on the type and CR of the creatures on the summon monster 2 list) I am happy to consider it.


Alton throws open the door to the shack. The shack houses a latrine, with a small, deep hole at the back, and two wooden buckets of water and a stack of soft leaves to the side.

Stacked against the wall on the other side of the shack are about half a dozen lengths of cut lumber, each about three feet long. A small hatchet, a hammer and a leather bag hang from hooks on the wall above the lumber.


Nicolai in Round 3.


DM Mothman wrote:
What are you planning on summoning? If you have in mind something from a source published after the Core Rule book, that would be appropriate to the level of the spell (based on the type and CR of the creatures on the summon monster 2 list) I am happy to consider it.

A giant spider, poison and web sounded good options. I only ever use the core rule books, while I have other rule books, we do not allow them in my weekly game and I carry that on to my on-line games.

Also you quoted my question on False life, but did not answer it.
I am officially unemployed for the first time in my life, on the scrap heap at 40 years old. Now to find a job in these tough economic times.


Holee Molee ADMAE! Good luck to you sir! My wife is a teacher (can you say 'Stupid Cutbacks'?) So We feel your pain! Best wishes to you and yours! Out of curiosity, what sort of work do you do?

Question(s) for the DM:

Spoiler:

1st, I was holding off on casting Prot/Evil as it's not THAT long of a duration, also, I'm not certain that a werewolf is technically 'evil' any more than a wolf is. (Although Nicholai probably wouldn't know that, and I don't want to metagame!)
2nd- bringing back an idea I wanted to try before. Casting Floating Disk over the doorway. :) But upon reading the new(est) spell description, it seems like I can direct it if I want to, (It definitely follows me otherwise) but not cause it to change from it's horizontal position. (?)
I'm just trying to think of anything to try and keep this doggie in it's box! :)

Nicholai peers through the brush he's hiding behind. (badly) And his hands twitch as he runs through his options. He can feel the power of his inheritance coursing through his veins, the adrenaline causing him to feel as if he's burning with power. But to direct that power against his friend? Should he? Could he, if it came to that? Even to protect his own life? Or those of his newer but no less dear friends? He glances at Kajetan crouching next to him, slowly but surely chanting to control the power he's conjuring. Frustrated, His hands tighten so much that he crushes the sprig of Wolvesbane in his grip, releasing a pungent scent that reaches his nose even through the adrenaline. He gazes at it in surprise, then mutters a soft oath.

"Of course! How foolish! Keildrithe! How much do were-creatures hate this bush?!?" he cries, his cry of sudden release of tension only slightly tinged by the looming panic beneath.

Without waiting for an answer, he clambers to his knees and begins pulling on the bush, as if trying to rip it from the ground.

OK, he's in a hurry. Not thinking clearly. I know! ;P

Yes, he's thinking that if he puts the bush by the door, the creature won't be in such a hurry to get out. (He hopes!)


Kajetan Armann wrote:
DM Mothman wrote:
What are you planning on summoning? If you have in mind something from a source published after the Core Rule book, that would be appropriate to the level of the spell (based on the type and CR of the creatures on the summon monster 2 list) I am happy to consider it.

A giant spider, poison and web sounded good options. I only ever use the core rule books, while I have other rule books, we do not allow them in my weekly game and I carry that on to my on-line games.

Also you quoted my question on False life, but did not answer it.
I am officially unemployed for the first time in my life, on the scrap heap at 40 years old. Now to find a job in these tough economic times.

Sorry about that, I meant to write 'assume you have half an hour duration remaining on false life'.


There is another crash at the door of the cottage – but the abused timbers still manage to hold.

Lucky for you all I am rolling really poorly on these strength checks!


Nicolai:

Spoiler:
Stories suggest that werewolves are more savage than their ordinary lupine counterparts, and some tales certainly paint such creatures as deliberately evil, but you don’t know about a good man who involuntarily becomes a werewolf.

Based on the spell description of Floating Disk I will rule that it must remain horizontal.


Init, Round 3:
Keildrithe: 21 – Hiding in O11. Readied action. Has sprigs of wolfsbane and silver knife to hand. Bless
Nicolai: 20 – hiding in bush at T11, gathering wolfsbane. Bless
The Creature: 20
Kajetan: 17 – T10. Casting Summon Monster. Bless, False Life.
Alton: 13 – R29. Standing before open shed. Bless
Laithe: 9 – P9. Readied action. Guidance, Bless

Kajetan, Alton and Laithe are up in round 3. Kajetan can complete the casting of his summon monster spell and may undertake another action.
Kajetan, if you prefer I will allow you to delay the spell completion – basically hold that last syllable as a readied action to complete the spell at a time of your choosing.


Male Halfling Rouge 4

Alton takes in all with a glance, and dashes forward to take hammer, leather bag (looking to see if it contains nails as he hopes it does) and as much of the lumber as he can carry without impeding his movement. That done he starts to move back outside the shack.


Yes, the bag contains several dozen long iron nails.


Yay for low str rolls! (when it's not us!) :) C'mon door, hold just a little longer! ;P


Kajetan and Laithe (and Keildrithe and Nicolai in round 4 if they are doing anything different).


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4

Laithe continues to hold, though he starts to wonder as he watches the actions of his friends closer to the house, worried the were wolf will not make for him if it spies closer prey. He mumbles a prayer to Ehlonna, praying for strenth during the coming encounter.


Nicholai is trying to get a BIG batch of the wolvesbane. (If he can get the entire bush, great!) Then he plans to shove it under the door of the cottage, hopefully convincing the beast within to stop trying to open it! So what he does this round depends on how much of the plant he has so far. He'd rather risk a small amount than risk waiting to long and the door giving way!


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

Staying put.


DM Mothman wrote:

Kajetan can complete the casting of his summon monster spell and may undertake another action.

Kajetan, if you prefer I will allow you to delay the spell completion – basically hold that last syllable as a readied action to complete the spell at a time of your choosing.

I will take that option.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

All of a sudden, Keildrithe feels himself overcome by pangs of guilt as he watches Alton make his way alone towards the front of the cabin. The bard rushes from his patch of wolfsbane and races as fast as he can to join the halfling.

If he reaches the front door before it bursts, he will throw his weight against the door. If there is a crack beneath the door, he will push some of the wolfsbane through (this round or next), keeping a sprig in his hand. The following round, he will try to brace the door and do an Aid Another check to help Alton brace it even further.


Oops! Next round? You read my mind! :) Nicholai jumps as Keildrithe leaps from his hiding spot and races for the cabin. He looks at the bundle of wolvesbane in his hand, and back up.

"Cover us!" He hisses to Kajetan as he also jumps up and dashes towards the cabin door. Kajetan sees Nicholai's crossbow lying on the ground where he left it, still loaded.

You read my mind! Double move to get tto door and throw my weight against it as well. Same idea, stuff Wolvesbane under the door to discourage the puppy from coming this way.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

Actually, I meant to revise my round 4 action with that described in my last post, if that was still possible... And to be perfectly honest, I stole the idea from Nicolai -- I think you posted the idea previously, but no one acted on it. So I can't claim credit for "brilliance" here, and I'd still be hiding like a coward if you hadn't said anything. :-)


Alton grabs the bag of nails and as many lengths of timber as he can carry and hurries back towards the front of the cabin reaches S25.

Kajetan pauses in his spell-casting, the mystic syllables that he needs to complete the summoning ritual waiting just on the tip of his tongue for the right moment.

Keildrithe and Nicolai, their minds strangely in sync, gather up handfuls of toxic plant and race towards the cabin door.
Given the ambient lighting conditions, a full run would be dangerous; with a double move, Keildrithe can reach Q22 and Nicolai can reach R23.


The two men jog towards the cottage door through the twilight fog, but when they are still a few feet away, there is an air-splitting crash, and the door flies off its hinges, pushed from within by a great force.

Lying, dazed in the remains of the door and frame on the threshold, struggling to stand, shaking its great shaggy head, is the largest wolf any of you have ever seen. The size of a bear, the dark haired beast has a shaggy, almost primeval look. As it tries to clear its head it opens its mouth in a wide yawn or whine, revealing a cavernous mouth and gums filled with murderously sharp teeth.

Rolled a 19 on the strength check that time ...


Init, Round 4:
Keildrithe: 21 – Q22. Has armful of wolfsbane and silver knife to hand. Bless
Nicolai: 20 – R23 Has armful of wolfsbane. Bless
The Creature: 20 – Q25, prone.
Kajetan: 17 – T10. Readied action to complete Summon Monster. Bless, False Life.
Alton: 13 – S25. Standing before open shed. Bless
Laithe: 9 – P9. Readied action. Guidance, Bless

Kajetan is up, can complete his spell plus take this round’s actions. Alton and Laithe are also up.


Male Human - Karandic Druid/4

Seeing first Nicolai, then Keildrithe dash from cover, and the door splinter open leaving them caught out in the open, Laithe knows there is now little chance of luring the wolf away.

"Throw the wolfbane and fall back to the bush by the shed, behind Alton!" he yells out, formulating another plan in his mind. He then lowers his hands to the ground, whispering a prayer in his native Karandic tongue to call the plants to rise up and aid in the coming battle.

Laithe can cast entangle on the area around the hut, possibly proving extra effective is wolfsbane happens to be the entangling plant. Moth, the wording of the spell says it entangles "foes" in the area, which suggests allies may be able to move freely within? What's your ruling on this? If so, Laithe will cast the spell immediately, centering the 40ft radius on the hut itself (though obviously only effecting plants outside the hut). If not, he will hold and give Nicolai, Keildrithe and Alton the chance to move before triggering the spell, centering it on M23, to cover the front of the hut, but not much on the southern edge. DC is 14


I believe there was some errata on this spell to cover this very issue. At any rate, the current wording of the spell eliminates the word ‘foes’. At any rate, the spell affects anyone within the area, so I’ll assume that Laithe holds.


Male Human Fighter / 3

Alton gasps as he hears the door shatter. Hearing Laithes call he starts to back peddle toward the shed.


Nicholai draws up short, sliding to a stop next to Keildrithe. He simply stares at the great beast as it slowly shakes itself off and rises to its feet.

"Oh. Crud." He mutters, strangely calm, staring at the daddy of all wolves.

Laithe's shout snaps him out of his daze. He backs up a step, then another, then turns and runs around the house, following the surprisingly swift form of Alton.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

Keildrithe feels a warm liquid run down his legs... but he has no time for shame, and bolts straight towards the well, screaming like a baby!

Laithe, I don't see a bush near the shed on the map... did you mean the well, at U27? Either way, that's where Keildrithe is running!


Kajetan.


Kajetan completes the last few lines of the spell and points his hand towards the cottage door. Where he gestures a small spider springs into existence, it swells and grows rapidly until its brown bulbous body is as big as fat sow, its spindly multi-jointed legs defying logic that it can support its weight. Going to assume you allow PC's to control their summoned creatures.

The spider springs into action, raising its hind quarters into the air it deftly weaves an intricate net of webbing and with a flick of its rear four legs launches it at the shaggy wolf.

Special Attack web (+5 ranged, DC 12, hp 2)
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Giant Spider..
Web rules..

The web flies true, entangling the wolf beast, and the spider quickly scurries to close the distance, its fangs clicking threateningly.

Kajetan sighs in relief that he has at least brought his companions time and then racks his brain for his next coarse of action.


Kajetan’s spell summons forth a bizarre but strangely beautiful giant spider form the celestial realms. The oversized arachnid scurries forward and launches its web at the great wolf, entirely entangling the beast in the sticky silken net.

Yes, happy for PCs to run their own summoned creatures.


Alright, just prior to the wolf’s turn I have:
Kajetan in T10 (he has an action to spare from this round, so if someone would like to suggest some action for him to take I am happy to go with it).
Summoned Spider I put moving forward to Q23.
I’ve put Alton in R32.
I’ve put Keildrithe at V28 behind the well.
I’ve put Nicolai in S32 next to Alton.
Laithe remains in P9 (though he could have moved if he wants?).
I put the entangle spell centred on the grid intersection M / N 23 / 24 – it has a 40 foot radius spread (so takes up a fair portion of the valley).
Note that the spider will be within the area of the entanglement – Kajetan cannot communicate with it other than direct it to attack his enemies, so it just gets as close to the wolf as it can.


As soon as Keildrithe, Nicolai and Alton have run out of the way, Laithe casts his spell. The grass, bushes and shrubs in an area just north of the cottage begin to ripple and writhe weirdly in the mist, this ripple beginning to spread out rapidly in a circle that encompasses the cottage. Two of the staked sheep that have not yet managed to pull their bonds and flee are caught by the active vegetation and held tightly, bleating and straining.

The area of writhing vegetation rapidly reaches the cottage – snaking up the walls and trying to worm tendrils through the gaps in the cottage timbers – and Kajetan’s summoned spider. Spider can make a reflex save to avoid being entangled.

Tendrils and leaves also reach for the wolf on the stone threshold, not quite reaching the beast through the tangled webs that cover it.

The waving, grasping vegetation stops mere feet away from Keildrithe, Alton and Nicolai.


The great wolf writhes and snaps its jaws within the web. After a few seconds it manages to stand, bursting apart the webbing that held it fast! The great beast raises its head and howls at the moon, strands of webbing streaming from its shaggy fur. Standard action, strength check to burst web, move action, stand. It is still within the cottage (it actually takes up most of the cottage interior and will need to squeeze through the doorway) and has not yet entered the entangling vegetation outside.


DM Mothman wrote:

Map is here.

The square in the middle is the cabin, with the door shown as a rectangle. The smaller square nearby is a small shack or shed behind the cabin, and the circle nearby is a small brick well. The cloud-shaped objects are bushes (difficult terrain that provides concealment) and the ‘x’s are where the sheep are staked. The shaded patches are areas where plants that appear to be wolfsbane grow. Outside the borders of the meadow and paths it is steep, wooded terrain (difficult terrain). The meadow itself mainly has grasses, weeds, clovers, low ground cover and patches of snow, but does not count as difficult terrain (except bushes).

Between the just-set sun, the light mist and the bright moon overhead, the whole area counts as having dim light, which means concealment (20% miss chance on attacks and you can use stealth to hide). If you have low light vision you can see normally within a 15 foot radius (no miss chance within that radius etc), if you have darkvision that extends to a 60 foot radius.

Most of the party is somewhere near the path on the left hand side of the map, around rows 5, 6, or 7. Alton is within 10 feet of the door of the cabin. Everyone nominate a position on the map, roll for initiative and give me a round worth of actions.


Male Human (Karandic) Bard 4 / Ranger 1

How deep is the well? Is the ledge wide enough to stand on? Rope and bucket? Perception: 3 + 7 = 10.


"Holyee,..." Nicholai mutters as he whips his head furiously about, trying to keep an eye on the great beast and look for a safe(r) place to be! His eyes go up,...

"Roof! The roof!" He hisses to Alton. He throws his palm out with a flicker of will, and a flat, barely visible shimmering disk appears.

"OnOnGetOn! UpUp!" Nicholai usually precise speech slurred in near panic. Following his own instructions he hops up on the disk and reaches out a hand to help Alton up.

The plan is to use the disc to get on the roof. And THEN to use it as a barrier to keep the wolf from climbing up after them! :)

7,751 to 7,800 of 7,851 << first < prev | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Age of Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.