Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Adventures from the Lost Tomes

Game Master Dementia Walker


701 to 750 of 1,022 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0

was going to point that out. Best to use spellcraft or knowledge arcana. The former is you have detect magic but not sure if any of us do. Godelina doesn't Lanten most likely doesn't and I doupt 'Shari does either.

Actually I think you can with spellcraft and not need detect magic on scrolls, but not certain. Will have to wait for Edan.


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Good point on the Device Skill; my bad. Thank you for ignoring it. ;-)

Lanten shrugs in ignorance, adding:"I'm afraid I can't help - none of it makes sense to me either. Maybe Edan can give it more insight; can he read magic script?"

He looks at the contents and gives a resigned grin. "Guess it was too much to hope for a map saying cultists here. Not sure if it will prove helpful as evidence unless Edan finds something in these scrolls. Maybe take the gems to a jeweler; see if he can tell us anything?"

Knowledge(Local): 1d20 ⇒ 16 Any jewelers I might have heard of?


Male Human

you know of a small jewelry shop owned by an old man along one of your guard routes


Female Human Rogue 3 current hp 15/15; AC 16, t14, ff 12 ; Init +3; F+1, R +6, W +1; Perc +6

'Shari nods, "I think that is a good idea, Lanten. maybe he knows who sold him the gems and can trace the sale."


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0
'Shari Velnokal wrote:
'Shari nods, "I think that is a good idea, Lanten. maybe he knows who sold him the gems and can trace the sale."

Godelina nods approvngly to Lanten's plan.

"Not only that, but he might get us an accurate value on them. I believe it will help our story if the authorities see these gems, especially as they are more likely to believe us that if we took the gems away." she states, though you can tell she'd be tempted by the gems value.

basically operating like a good cop and not using the funds found for her own need and instead to prove exactly how out of place everything was there. Also, trying to make Godelina based on a knight which, I learned from recent research, there were indeed female medival knights. Some even Knighted by the king.


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Lanten rubs his chin in thought. "There's an old man who runs a jewlery shop along my patrol route, we can check with him - maybe with no questions asked. If these are rare or unusual enough, maybe he can tell us something about them."

He responds to 'Lina's suggestion of using them as evidence,"Once we have them checked out, its alright by me - but it'd be best if you or 'Shari turn them in - either to your head priest or the Captain of the guard. I show up with a case full of gems from a crime scene, I'll be spening time in the jailhouse." This last part he says with a chuckle.

"Question is, do we wait on Edan or move forward with this while the day's still young?"

This is also mentioned more as a pacing question. I don't want to rush Edan's initiation portion so he can enjoy it without missing much. Just a thought, whatever works for everyone is good by me.


Male Human

Waiting for Edan to post


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

@Temple of Nethys

Narrator of the lost Tomes wrote:


"Hum? It speaks? What do you want, where did you come from? The old man asks while looking at a page of information in front of him on a desk that was not there a moment ago.

That was a good question.. He had not expected normal sentences from the old man, and trying not to let his confusion get the better of him in this situation. Edan was certain that the desk was not there before, or the paper, but this was a temple to a deity of magic... 'Just have to stay focused..'

"Instruction is what I was directed here for. I came through the.. unused.. new applicant entrance?" Even trying to remain on task, this situation was a bit unbelievable for Edan. He knew how some magic worked, but what these people were capable of only made a little bit of sense to him. "I am Edan Crosier of the Temple of Iomedae." So what if his eyes were a little wide, there was a lot to take in here that he was not sure did or did not bend the rules of reality as he knew them.
Sorry, had a 10hr at work today


Male Human

Completely understand the long work day thing.

"Your claim that you are here and came through the applicant entrance conflicts with a recent study." The old man says setting the paper he was examining down. Then the table walks away.

Lina's group follows Lanten to the Jeweler that he knows of in order to show him the gems. As they walk in the entrance of the shop they see the old man asleep on a stool propped against the back wall of the shop behind his display counter. A grimy looking raven sits on a perch watching the group.


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Lanten looks around the shop and the raven, to see if there's anything else noticable. Otherwise, he proceeds to the counter and clears his throat loudly to see if he can get the man's attention. "Good day to you, sir. I've walked past your charming little shop and was wondering if we could do some business?"

He then presents the gems from a pouch - having seperated them from the scrolls and box before they arrived. "Was wondering if you could tell us about these gems and how much they are worth? I understand there might be an 'assessors' fee to pay for your troubles, but I would be much obligied," he adds to his explanation with a smile.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21 Not sure if its necessary, but there you go.
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

@Temple of Nethys

'..There goes reality..', came Edan's thought in watching the table walk away, his jaw hanging. Confused, flustered, and feeling the inklings of annoyance, he frowned, not quite comprehending the man's words. Was he saying that he did not exist in this space, or that his entrance was inaccurate? He closed his mouth, and realized that he was quickly running out of things to say, as this discussion was getting more and more... Whatever this was.

"Confliction relies on doubt, and there is none", he replied resolutely, his hand going to the holy symbol atop his shirt. Closing his eyes, he reached for a portion of energy that Iomedae instilled in him, and let that energy wash outwards in that room amongst the books and people that he was not so certain were. Opening his eyes, he looked directly at the old man. "Is my claim to being here still doubtful?" His eyes went to the others that he saw, thinking that he was being tested, but not certain how.


Male Human

@ Temple of Nethys
"senses can be fooled! One could conjure any number of equally ingenious explanations and "proofs" for your presumed existence."The old man starts as though going into a lecture for students, luckily at this point some of the other people in the room chime in rapid firing responses so fast you are not sure who said what. "Swamp gas." "Major Image." "Person in a monkey suit." "Changling." The old man waits for the people to stop then continues. "Magic is about finding the most credible explanation. And since Drexel has the highest credibility score here, you are swamp gas." Two of the mages high five each other before everyone starts moving again. The man looks at you for the first time and seems to be waiting.

@ the shop
The man in the shop awakes with a snort almost falling off his stool, "Huh, wha?" After your explanation of why you are there he says "Oh yea sure lets see them then eh?" When he pours the gems out onto the small table his eyes widen. "What did you do? Rob one of the founding families? This is a small fortune you have here, if you are hoping to sell them to me I don't have nearly enough money."


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0

Godelina steps towards the shop man and looking down as he examins them.
"These gems are indeed of a rare quality then?" she asks as she looks down to him with curiosity and then a idea comes to her mind as she looks to Lanten and then back to the man. "Will you be willing to help us in our investigations by making that statement to the guards? We would be greatful if you could spare some of your valuable time. It would mean a lot to us."

diplomacy 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (5) + 11 = 16


Female Human Rogue 3 current hp 15/15; AC 16, t14, ff 12 ; Init +3; F+1, R +6, W +1; Perc +6

'Shari nods and puts a pretty smile on for the old man, "Can you tell us if you have seen these gems before, or if you know of anyone else who deals with gems and other forms of jewelry, it would also help us out a bunch!"

Diplomacy Aid Lina 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

@Temple of Nethys

For some reason, Edan felt the urge to pinch the bridge of his nose, and momentarily contemplated some sort of retribution against the girl that sent him through this door. It had to be some sort of prank... Question was, what did she have against him? He did not even know her name! Sighing, Edan hung his head and then looked up to the old man. He was leading the.. "Test", it could be called.. Maybe. So it was him that had to be convinced. Though their blatant and repeated dismissals were bothering him, there was perhaps something that he was overlooking?

A thoughtful, quizzical expression was on Edan's face as he raised an eyebrow, looked around, and then scrunched his eyes shut, passing a hand across his face as he cast one of the few minor tricks that he had figured out, that of being able to sense magic. For him, it was not so much "seeing", as it was a "feeling", like one would get when standing close to a fire, or near a sunbeam that was coming through a window, or standing next to cold stone that was in the shade while you were standing in sunlight..

With the spell cast, he cautiously opened his eyes, extending that "sense" of magic. If the feel of divine energy washing over them did not lend credence to his case-- 'I am not swamp gas'-- then he would see if he was not being misled.
Cast Detect Magic


Male Human

@ the Temple of Nethys
As soon as you cast detect magic you realize you are sitting in a comfy chair in a room with the door slightly ajar. Looking out it you can see the girl at the information desk keeping busy. Looking around you there are books covering the walls and a small pile of them next to the chair that appears to have been knocked over. The old man you were speaking too is sitting behind the desk smiling. "Ah he says, so you DO have a predilection for arcane magic. We can't just go accepting anyone willy nilly now can we, How would we get anything useful done? Now tell me son, what is your name and what school do you wish to specialize in. Or are you going to be universal?"

@ the shop
"Not rare no, just a substantial amount, you don't usually see people walking around with this many gems." He smiles, "I would do anything for you pretty little lady. You feel he means it in a nice way. "There are a few other jewelers, or perhaps magicians, here and there that would be interested in these gems. I don't know of anyone in particular however. Are you looking to sell some of them?"


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Lanten hides a smile and watches the interaction slightly amazed. Looks like the ladies can charm the scales off a snake when they set themselves to it.

"Thank you for your help, neighbor. I think we were trying to find out who might been selling a collection like this; so if you can direct us to that person or persons we'd much obliged."


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

@Temple of Nethys

Edan wanted to slap himself for not realizing it sooner. He was pretty sure his mouth moved once or twice with nothing coming out of it before he flamed red with embarrassment, annoyed with himself for not thinking of the most obvious of solutions. "..Inheritor, I'm slow-- Abjuration. It seems the most appropriate, given my calling. I am not seeking to mislead or bewitch, so resisting and denying seems the most appropriate." The embarrassment had faded by the time he finished his sentence, and he was wearing a grin, able to see the test for what it was, as well as appreciating the amusement at his reactions.

Shifting in the chair-- which really was quite comfortable-- Edan looked at the old man, and wondered if he could get two things taken care of while he was here. "I apologize for my manners.. I am Edan Crosier, as I suspect you already knew. You are...?"


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0

Hmm, would've gone universalist, however given Edan's personality going specialist in Adjuration makes sense.


Male Human

@ The shop
"These are all individual gems. No sets, they are all cut differently. If you are trying to track down owners that would be pretty difficult. No way of marking gems." The man states.

@ the temple
"Very good, very good." The old man mumbles writing something down. "I am Zeduicious, Head Mage at this fine establishment. We can get you started right away, here are your apprentice robes, your books, a beginners spell book, writing implements, your class schedule, and anything else you may need. Will you be moving into the temple? As he is saying all this items are appearing in the chair next to your chair and falling into a chest that was not there a moment ago. Before you can answer he begins again. "You will be expected to be here at least 1 hr a day to participate in a group lecture, everything else is up to you to study. You will be expected to pay at the end of every month for classes and supplies used. Any questions?"


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Lanten ponders the coinage and how handy it would be to have that money. In Cheliax, the coinage could grease a few palms and get them some info. But...he couldn't imagine a paladin turning a blind eye to bribery.

"It's possible we have a sale, good sir. But let me confer with the young ladies, 'lest I part them with their favorites," he says with a wink.

Stepping away, he pulls 'Lina and 'Shari aside and quietly says:"Well - it looks like we're sitting on a small fortune, but no information on where they came from. Do we want to turn them in-to the authorities like we planned then?"


Female Human Rogue 3 current hp 15/15; AC 16, t14, ff 12 ; Init +3; F+1, R +6, W +1; Perc +6

'Shari stares at the gems, visions of her bedecked in a beautiful gown and adorned with a gem-encrusted necklace. She pirouettes and slides into Lanten's arms, feeling beautiful and desirable...gazing into his eyes...

Blushing furiously now, she shakes her head and replies softly, "No, uhhh, I mean we need to turn in these gems to the authorities."

I know Lanten would think less of me if I claimed those gems...I will look more beautiful to him, I hope.


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

@The Temple of Nethys

Narrator of the lost Tomes wrote:
"Very good, very good." The old man mumbles writing something down. "I am Zeduicious, Head Mage at this fine establishment. We can get you started right away, here are your apprentice robes, your books, a beginners spell book, writing implements, your class schedule, and anything else you may need. Will you be moving into the temple? As he is saying all this items are appearing in the chair next to your chair and falling into a chest that was not there a moment ago. Before you can answer he begins again. "You will be expected to be here at least 1 hr a day to participate in a group lecture, everything else is up to you to study. You will be expected to pay at the end of every month for classes and supplies used. Any questions?"

As the things appeared, Edan jumped slightly, and looked on with wide eyes. Realizing that there was a couple of questions in the wizard's explanation he looked up, slightly lost as he tried to recall them. "I.. suspect the hour to be present is dictated by the lecturer, which I have yet to meet, correct? I will not require lodgings in the temple, however... " Thinking, he frowned slightly, chasing down that last question that he wanted to ask. "..Ah! How much is the cost per month average?"

There were going to be a lot of demands on his time, it seemed, and Edan wondered how this was going to work out with the ongoing investigation that they were in town for..


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Sorry - long work day for me today. Will post tomorrow, but assuming with 'Lina's affirmation we will then take the gems to the watch, but keep the scrolls and dagger. Thoughts?


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Assuming 'Lina agrees with the assessment that they give the gems to he watch...

Lanten nods then at their feedback, a slightly wistful look at the money to be made. Lanten gathers up the gems and says to the shopkeeper:

"Thanks for your troubles, good sir. I'd like to bring more business your way, if it comes up." He gives the man 10 gold for his efforts. "And...I'd like to keep this exchange private for now, if you don't mind. As the paladin said, the authorities may need to get have your assessment; that's alright. If anyone else comes asking about them, there might be a finder's fee to let us know who it is."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0

Sorry for not getting back in a while. The idea was to hand it all in, but only after we've deciphered the scrolls. The dagger is of no real value and just adds to prove that they have been doing something evil there. The scrolls will need looking at before heading to the authorities with them.


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0
Godelina Evelyn wrote:
Sorry for not getting back in a while. The idea was to hand it all in, but only after we've deciphered the scrolls. The dagger is of no real value and just adds to prove that they have been doing something evil there. The scrolls will need looking at before heading to the authorities with them.

Of course, would like to take them to the temple first to show our abbot.

"It would be good for us to take them to the abbot of the temple of Iomedae." she points out, though sighing as she looks towards where the temple of nethys is "I would like Edan to see them first."


Male Half-elven Fighter 3
Godelina Evelyn wrote:
"It would be good for us to take them to the abbot of the temple of Iomedae." she points out, though sighing as she looks towards where the temple of nethys is "I would like Edan to see them first."

Sounds fine. No worries.

Lanten again nods -"Sounds alright, and probably better for whatever's going on to have more backing." He also notes her stare towards the Temple of Nethys and steers them in that direction without much effort. "Let's go get him - who knows, might get him out of some trouble with wizards...tell 'em he's practicin' his talents," he adds with a grin.


Male Human
Edan Crosier wrote:

@The Temple of Nethys

As the things appeared, Edan jumped slightly, and looked on with wide eyes. Realizing that there was a couple of questions in the wizard's explanation he looked up, slightly lost as he tried to recall them. "I.. suspect the hour to be present is dictated by the lecturer, which I have yet to meet, correct? I will not require lodgings in the temple, however... " Thinking, he frowned slightly, chasing down that last question that he wanted to ask. "..Ah! How much is the cost per month average?"

There were going to be a lot of demands on his time, it seemed, and Edan wondered how this was going to work out with the ongoing investigation that they were in town for..

"Yes, yes, excellent questions all. You will know when the time comes." He says absently, clearly not paying attention to you any more. Waving his hand in your general direction you suddenly find yourself standing back in the main entrance. The girl at the front desk looks up and smiles. "I see you got accepted, congratulations. Need any help getting your chest to your residence? You look a little frazzled. Don't worry you will know what is going on once you look through your chest, just do it at home and not here it gets in peoples way." She says nicely.

@ the shop
"Yes, yes. Well come back to me if you change your mind. Or are looking for other jewelry." The man says as you all walk out.

You will all reach the temple shortly after Edan finishes talking to the girl at the desk.


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0

Pity this isn't Discworld, otherwise the chest would be walking itself, lol.

Godelina steps forward and smiles to Edan.
"We managed to get that box open. We were hoping you could look at some of the scrolls inside." she makes sure not to say things too loud, afraid others nearby might take interest. "Inside were valuable gems, the kind nobility would have stored away and a ceremonial dagger." this other part she makes sure to whisper so only the pair of them can hear this.


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Lanten looks over the slightly dazed Edan and gives him a grin. "Looks like the canary who got away from the cat...and thanked him for his troubles to boot," he jokes for all of them to hear.

At 'Lina's presentation, he smiles a bit given Edan's dazed state and adds calmly,"I think we're eager to get your input, Edan..." he pauses and looks around, "but what say we take our dicussion somewhere more private and review our findings. We were headed to your Temple, do you two think that would be acceptable enough? If you find that uncomfortable, I know of a small, secluded courtyard that may work." He opens his palm as if presenting the suggestion, but after their departure from the jewlery store he looks around - concerned someone might be following.

perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Female Human Rogue 3 current hp 15/15; AC 16, t14, ff 12 ; Init +3; F+1, R +6, W +1; Perc +6

'Shari smiles brightly at Edan, a look of curiosity on her face. "How did it go Edan? Were you able to find a mage to teach you?" When she sees Lanten glancing around nervously, she abruptly stops and glances around her looking at shadows which may jump out at them any moment.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

Definitely a bit... frazzled, still trying to process it all, Edan nodded at the girl behind the counter, and then looked down at the chest that he was going to have to carry, and then up at 'Lina, 'Shari, and Lanten, blinking a couple of times.. "Um, sure.. The Temple sounds fine. Sir.. Lanten, would you mind giving me a hand with this chest?" Clearly not all here, as he was still processing things, and that was quite a bit slower than he normally was.

"It's been an... interesting morning."


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Lanten nods at Edan's request and grabs one side of the chest to assist. "Look forward to hearing about it."

He notices that 'Shari is glancing around and gives a reassuring nod - mostly for himself.


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0

"i wouldn't mind carrying it, Edan." she says with a smile, helping Lanten lift it up. "Why do you need this chest anyway?" she asks not seeing how this could help him with learning magic.

with Lanten's 15 Strength and Godelina's 14 Strength combined it should be easy enough to carry between the two of us.


Male Human

Feel free to make back posts about conversation at the temple of Nethys and the walk back to your temple.

Indeed, you have no trouble lifting it at all, it feels almost as though the chest is empty.

Looking around Lanten and Shari spot nothing suspicious just people going about their daily routine.

You all meander back to Edan and Lina's place of residence taking a more or less direct route. it is about 11am and the streets are lightly populated due to people at work. You make it to Edan's room safely and continue the conversation there...


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

With a bit of a bemused smile, Edan was finishing up his recounting the story of his "adventures" in the Temple of Nethys, smiling sheepishly for a moment as he shrugged at the somewhat haphazard state of his room. While there were no clothes on the floor, a sword, two sets of armor, a shield and his pack sat on his cot, and what clothes that he did have removed, he had hanging over various objects.

"..and there you were once I was.. Teleported? Out of the.. Head Mage's office... I did not think it would take as long as it did..." he blushed a bit as he pulled the clothing off of the various objects that he had hung them on. "You can set the chest over there," he said, smiling at 'Lina and Lantan, gesturing to the corner. Slightly to himself, he mused aloud, "The Head Mage said it contained 'everything I needed'..."

Still obviously bemused at his day, he looked to Godelina. "You said something about scrolls? That came from that case? --nice work, by the way, 'Shari", he complimented.


Female Human Rogue 3 current hp 15/15; AC 16, t14, ff 12 ; Init +3; F+1, R +6, W +1; Perc +6

Ushari smiles, "Thanks Edan, I am just glad I was able to get it open without damaging anything inside! Now I just hope these scrolls tell us something..."

Wow, he seems really...distracted, I guess. I wonder if I ever decided to become a wizard, would that happen to me?


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0
Edan Crosier wrote:

With a bit of a bemused smile, Edan was finishing up his recounting the story of his "adventures" in the Temple of Nethys, smiling sheepishly for a moment as he shrugged at the somewhat haphazard state of his room. While there were no clothes on the floor, a sword, two sets of armor, a shield and his pack sat on his cot, and what clothes that he did have removed, he had hanging over various objects.

"..and there you were once I was.. Teleported? Out of the.. Head Mage's office... I did not think it would take as long as it did..." he blushed a bit as he pulled the clothing off of the various objects that he had hung them on. "You can set the chest over there," he said, smiling at 'Lina and Lantan, gesturing to the corner. Slightly to himself, he mused aloud, "The Head Mage said it contained 'everything I needed'..."

Still obviously bemused at his day, he looked to Godelina. "You said something about scrolls? That came from that case? --nice work, by the way, 'Shari", he complimented.

"You're talking awefully strange, do you need to sit down or have a glass of water?" she asks, concerned about the stay way he seems to be talking and fearing the worst. "Was some kind of spell cast on you?"


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Lanten grins about the initiation process - what with talk of walking tables and teleportation. He gets a little nervous thinking about that chest they carried, and what might be inside of it. Upon seeing Edan's messy room, he can't help but think of the stories of wizards and their disorganized labs...Looks like he already got a talent you need to be one. He stifles a laugh at 'Lina's comment...Make that two talents...confusing us non-wizards.

At his question about the scrolls and 'Shari's response, Lanten adds:
"More than just the scrolls, we've got a bit of treasure - as 'Lina mentioned." He clears a bit of space - moving what looks like a blanket - and places the collection of gems there.
"Maybe those scrolls will provide more insight. Otherwise, 'Lina and 'Shari were going to turn the gems into the authorities as more evidence from the cultists."

Edan suddenly become quite the popular fellow.


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

"I'm pretty sure I was the subject of at least two spells, 'Lina," Edan replied with a wry smile. "Maybe a third, depending on how you count them, but I am fine. It is just rather... different seeing a table walk, even if it was an illusion." The smile became his usual grin, and he ran a hand through his hair, shaking his head. "I'm just glad to have a direction for my magic."

Looking thoughtful as he came over to the case that held the scrolls, Edan tried to explain as he picked the two of them up and set them on the lid of the chest. "It is like knowing you were capable of smiting, and detecting evil, but only being able to do it on mostly accident." Calmly, Edan picked up the first scroll and looked at it without magic, trying to determine the language used for it, before invoking a small prayer and tapping the center of his forehead.
Casting Read Magic


Male Human

The scrolls appear to be written in Infernal but as far as you can make out it is just gibberish. When you cast read magic you can tell that they are clerical scrolls from Asmodeus. Spellcraft 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27 after examining the scrolls carefully for a while you figure out what each one is. There are 9 magic scrolls If you want to know specific spells you can ask, but they are not that important unless you are planning on keeping them or something. and the last scroll that is different from all the rest appears to be the second half of a ritual to summon something. You are not quite sure what however.


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1

As he scanned the scrolls, Edan explained to the others. "They're written in Infernal--" pausing, he looked up at 'Lina. "--yes, I can read it--" He looked back down to the scrolls and picked out the various spells on them, figuring that any magic that he had access to could at least be analyzed as far as he could manage. "--these are scrolls of divine magic, though if you want to know what the magic can do, I would have to read more..." He continued skimming the scrolls with a frown. "There was at least an hour invested for every spell, at least.. but--"

It was the other scroll that made him pause. "This is.. conjuring-- too involved to be 'simple'.. A.. Ritual? Or, part of one, at least." Knowing the origin of the scrolls as well as the language involved, he rolled up the scroll and returned it to its case with a look of distaste. "This is intended to help summon something, and a fairly strong something, if this is a Ritual summoning. Definitely evidence."
Were any of the spells useful to a non-evil aligned caster? If so, Edan will keep them, and work on transcribing them into Celestial just in case.


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0
Edan Crosier wrote:

As he scanned the scrolls, Edan explained to the others. "They're written in Infernal--" pausing, he looked up at 'Lina. "--yes, I can read it--" He looked back down to the scrolls and picked out the various spells on them, figuring that any magic that he had access to could at least be analyzed as far as he could manage. "--these are scrolls of divine magic, though if you want to know what the magic can do, I would have to read more..." He continued skimming the scrolls with a frown. "There was at least an hour invested for every spell, at least.. but--"

It was the other scroll that made him pause. "This is.. conjuring-- too involved to be 'simple'.. A.. Ritual? Or, part of one, at least." Knowing the origin of the scrolls as well as the language involved, he rolled up the scroll and returned it to its case with a look of distaste. "This is intended to help summon something, and a fairly strong something, if this is a Ritual summoning. Definitely evidence."
Were any of the spells useful to a non-evil aligned caster? If so, Edan will keep them, and work on transcribing them into Celestial just in case.

"Summoning?" Godelina's eye widen in the shock of this "I doupt summoning devils is allowed in or anywhere near this city, correct?" she looks to Lanten for confirmation, though it's pretty obvious as Salt Marsh doesn't want to be like Cheliax and despite the woreship of Asmodeus. "Let's show the Abbot immediately. After that we'll take it to the authorities and see what they think of our actions now."


Female Human Rogue 3 current hp 15/15; AC 16, t14, ff 12 ; Init +3; F+1, R +6, W +1; Perc +6

'Shari nods quickly in agreement, her face pale and her hands shaking. "By the Gods, I had no idea they were so serious about this! I am glad we were able to stop him, but I don't know if there are any more cultists lurking about." She looks at Lanen, hoping for a word of reassurance from him. "We need to talk to them right away!"


Female Aasimar Paladin/3rd) (HP 28/28, AC 19/10/19. F +8, R +4, W +7, P +3, Init +0
'Shari Velnokal wrote:
'Shari nods quickly in agreement, her face pale and her hands shaking. "By the Gods, I had no idea they were so serious about this! I am glad we were able to stop him, but I don't know if there are any more cultists lurking about." She looks at Lanen, hoping for a word of reassurance from him. "We need to talk to them right away!"

'Lina puts a reassuring shand on 'Shari's shoulder.

"It'll be fine. We stopped them and any cultist nearby will run away if they see me approching them." she points out to her. "No evil can stop the power of the Inheritor and if such a creature appears you can take shelter behind me. I refuse to allow my friends get harmed. That goes for you two, too." she states as she looks from Lanten to Edan.


Male Half-elven Fighter 3

Listening quietly, Lanten taps a finger to his lips as he hears the explanation. An intensity grows in his face at the news, but a small nod of reassurance also comes out.

"More and more, you made the right decision - checking out that house. Can't imagine what might have happened if they'd succeeded." He says as a general statement, but his eyes focus on 'Shari - acknowledging her role in the event.

He places the gems back in the case along with the scrolls, carefully as if handling a serpent. There's a sober tone to his voice, and maybe a little bit of anger. "I agree with 'Lina, I doubt Saltmarsh would tolerate anything this blatant. We need to get this over to the Watch Captain, propriety be damned." He pauses and then adds,"I'm glad we did this out of sight, I don't think we've seen the last of cultists. Best keep an eye out once word gets out that we've found this and that man is dead. Someone's going to want to know."


Male Half-elven Fighter 3
Godelina Evelyn wrote:
"I refuse to allow my friends get harmed. That goes for you two, too." she states as she looks from Lanten to Edan.

His revery snaps, and he gives 'Lina a puzzled look, as if he was realizing something for the first time. "Well...thank you. Didn't really know...," he pauses as if gathering his thoughts.

"If we are going to be in this together, then best to make sure you know me. Godelina, you asked me where I was from and what I was doing in Saltmarsh earlier, but now didn't seem the time to discuss this - what with this evidence to investigate. But if this involves Asmodean cultists in the city..." He gives 'Lina an intense, blue-eyed stare before looking around at Edan and 'Shari.

"I was born and lived in Cheliax; in a town called Ostento - not much different than Saltmarsh. But I hold no devotion to that nation; its Asmodean church; or its devil-loving royalty! Queen Abrogail and her kin are evil and would see Andoran burn I have no doubt." There's clearly tension in his voice as he explains this; and his eyes have re-focused on 'Lina - as if expecting her to give him righteous derision; or maybe a rap on the head.

"I came here in search of someone, and I've been working as a guardsman for several months - trying to get a lead to where he is. But that hasn't panned out so well," he adds with a shrug.
His glance turns more warmly to 'Shari and adds, "So I'm glad to help you get this evidence to the watch and see this matter through, but if you have question about me, best let me know." He finishes speaking with an open hand, as if inviting any further dialog.


Female Human Rogue 3 current hp 15/15; AC 16, t14, ff 12 ; Init +3; F+1, R +6, W +1; Perc +6

'Shari feels a weakness in her knees as Lanten looks at her, but his words also strike a chord. Like him, she was also searching for someone (although something would be more accurate). "I...I suppose we are in the same boat, Lanten. Like you, I arrived here with little but the clothes on my back. I...I was trying to get away from..." her voice breaks and she finds herself on the verge of tears. She blinks them away as she finishes softly, "my fiance. He...he did not take my leaving him very well. He...he struck me...hard." Again she stops, momentarily overwhelmed by emotion. Edan and 'Lina having heard this story before, know how difficult this is for her. Clearly she feels a kinship with these friends. She hesitantly takes his hand with hers, "Thanks for believing me, Lanten."


Male Human Cleric 2/Wizard 1
Godelina Evelyn wrote:
"No evil can stop the power of the Inheritor and if such a creature appears you can take shelter behind me. I refuse to allow my friends get harmed. That goes for you two, too." she states as she looks from Lanten to Edan.

Edan's words are simple, and was looking directly at 'Lina when he met her look with one of his own, as well as a slight smile. "At your side, Paladin." Given his tone, it was more than just a statement of reassurance, but that was to be expected, as it was their mission that they were still on.

Lanten's explanation surprised him, but he smiled, knowing that one so set against devils and those who would ally themselves with them was a good fit for this group.

His story was known by all but Lanten, however, he thought it was fairly obvious, so Edan turned to the chest and sighed. "Well, better see what is in this, and take inventory before we leave." Looking over his shoulder at Lanten, he shrugged. "Mine is pretty simple. I serve the church, and keep her--" teasing slightly, he motioned his head towards 'Lina with a mischievous grin. --out of trouble and grounded." Kneeling down, he opened the chest, expecting to find the items laid out by the Head Mage.

701 to 750 of 1,022 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Adventures from the Lost Tomes All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.