Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Academy of Secrets

Game Master mathpro18


1 to 50 of 163 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>

Spring was in full bloom and the last of the winters snow was starting to dissipate from the land of Korvosa. It was getting to be late into Desnus now and some of you begin to worry that, once again, you will be passed up as participants in the infamus Breaching Festival. Days pass and yet still no word from the academe is received when finally, on the last Saturday of the month(the day before the festival begins) there came a knock at each of your doors. As you open the door before you stands a rather young female elf that looks at you and smiles. "Greetings sir" she says and then curtsies a little politely. "Due to your history and great reputation as an adventurer I am proud to let you know that Headmaster Toff Ornelos of the Acadamae requests your participation in the Breaching festival this year. If you could head over to Ornelos Hall on the Acadamae grounds immediately, Master Ornelos wishes to speak to you."

With that she hands you an ornately decorated envelope. As you open it and read the letter inside it’s a formal invitation to the festival signed by Toff himself. He regrettably informs you that the festival is to begin tomorrow and that he needs to speak to you today. He does apologize for the lateness of the notice and he promises that you will be greatly rewarded for your participation.

After you’re done reading the woman speaks again "If you need it I have a scroll of greater teleport that I can use to get you to the meeting in time"

With your approval you are teleported right into the waiting room of Toff's office. Its empty save for an old dwarven woman sitting behind a desk. She starts a little at you're sudden appearance but then smiles "Oh Tessara you're back. Well go get the others then" she says to the elven woman, who then pulls out another scroll and disappears once more. The dwarf sighs and points to a chair "Have a seat, once the others arrive I'll show you in."

THe first one to post is the first one to arrive in the office and the next one to post is the next to arrive and so on. Feel free to role play with each other and once I can get on I'll move things along.

Everyone can make me knowledge arcane or local checks if you have those skills to gain information on The Breaching Festival. Check the following spoilers for the desired results. Characters who have spent some time in Varisia gain a +10 bonus on this check, while those who have actually spent time in Korvosa gain a +20 bonus. NOTE: If you meet DC 25 you also get the DC 15 information.

DC 15:

The Breaching Festival is held every year. The participants have go through out the academe grounds collecting a number of key-lights that will be stored in the various lesser halls. To gather a key-light the participants must defeat a challenge with in the room. These challenges are created by the academy students and they take great pride in their difficulty and lethality. After all key lights have been collected the participants must meet one final challenge inside the academe’s infamous “Hall of wards”.

DC 25:

It strikes you as strange that the invite came Headmaster Ornelos because in the past the invite has come from the Dean of Abjuration. You also are able to figure out that since it has been many decades since there was a winner of the festival that the prize for winning has risen to 153,000gp.

Also let me know in the discussion thread if your character would have refused to be teleported because that would open up a different story line. The only one I really see being able to get away with this is Polgara since he has teleport but...


F

To roll knowledge about something I use a function that I call "The knowledge Gauntlet" or "TKG." Basically I roll everythign and the DM can pick what's appropriate. I put it in a spoiler to keep it from overtaking the page. I find it helps speed the PBP process up.

The Knowledge Gauntlet:

Knowledge (Arcana) 1d20 + 21 ⇒ (18) + 21 = 39
Knowledge (Dungeon) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19
Knowledge (engineer) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (6) + 16 = 22
Knowledge (Geography) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28
Knowledge (History) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (13) + 16 = 29
Knowledge (Local) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (6) + 16 = 22
Knowledge (Nature) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (19) + 16 = 35
Knowledge (Nobilitty) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (3) + 16 = 19
Knowledge (Planes) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17
Knowledge (Religion) 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (17) + 16 = 33
Linguistics 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (4) + 24 = 28
Spellcraft 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (19) + 24 = 43

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

knowledge arcana check: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30


F

To the girl at Polgara's door:

Polgara gives a curt reply with a stern facial expression

"Child, I am not at your beck-and-call nor Ornelos and won't be oredered about like some dog." She pauses am moment and just considers the girl. then with a slightly exacerbated sigh continues. " However, I am eager to begin and have made preperations. I'll need a few moments to gather my things. You can sit (she indicates a confortable chair) and I'll be with you shortly. I will use the scroll to teleport us to the location." WIth that Polgara gracefully turns and walks through a door. She returns approximately ten minutes later with no visible change in her attire. "Now I am ready. The scroll please." She holds her hand to the girl with the expectaion she will hand Polgara the scroll without comment. Assuming she does so Polgara takes the girl by the shoulder, reads the scroll and teleports to the academy grounds. Polgara has been there before.

She then turns to the girl. "You may show me to the headmaster now." Presumably she leads Polgara to the headmasters waiting room.

After the interaction with the dwarven woman and Tessara disapears.

Polgara turns to the dwarven woman. "If the headmaster was better prepared and let the participants make their own way you'd save a fortune in scrolls." Polgara says matter of factly. She then examines a nearby seat and sits gracefull. her dress seems to move of it's own accord to lay in just the right place to accentuate polgara's shapely legs.


Male Gnome Oracle 13

Harren remains a little uncomfortable with magical travel and arrives with his body tensed and his eyes darting suspiciously. Seeing that everything at least appears normal, he relaxes and leans back, resting most of his weight on his good leg. He pulls his thick black cloak around himself and makes eye contact with those in the room.

So, I have gleaned a fair bit about the Festival, but would be keen to know more. He looks around at those already present. Just for my information, are we competitors or allies in this event? I was never really clear on that bit.

I don't have either skill


F

Polgara looks to the gnome from her seated position. Only her head turns as she lounges.

She responds to his question. "I don't know. Let us hope Allies. "


M Dwarf Cleric 13

With a flash a tan to the point of obscenity dwarf pops into the room. A big smile beaming through his green beard.

whoop, what a rush. Nothing like a quick trip to the astral plane to get the blood pumping. Hey guys how excited are you that we get to be the first to crack THE VAULT OF SECRETS! I know i am. Would anyone like a drink to celerate? I brought my pops mean mead. Homebrewed under the great sun. Oh where are my manners. Names Doran.

He joyusly shakes your hands then sits down with a sigh seemingly content.


F

Polgara's eyebrow raises as the odd dwarf appears. She does not consider him a threat so she allows him to take her hand, though it's clearly not something she's accustome to. She quickly regains her composure and says,

"I am Polgra DeAngelo and this is ... (pause) Actually we haven't made introductions. What is your name?" She say's to Harren.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

"My name is Elrond, I specialize in magic and my trusty rapier here."


F
Elrond Véneanár wrote:
"My name is Elrond, I specialize in magic and my trusty rapier here."

"I didn't see you over there. If we're discussing strengths I am a wizard specalizing in teleportation. "

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

"Many a common folk have mistaken me for a wizard, while they are true I have arcane talent, I tend to be more focused on my blade here."

Elrond stands in the corner of the room, leaning on his rapier he constantly refers to. He looks life most elves do, tall and thin. He has the feel of a learned expert to him, mostly because he is.


Male Gnome Oracle 13
Polgara wrote:
"I am Polgra DeAngelo and this is ... (pause) Actually we haven't made introductions. What is your name?" She say's to Harren.

Pleasure to make your acquaintance. I am Mr. Harren Whisperwood, Seeker of Pharasma. I am most pleased to be selected and also keenly hoping we are allies. Getting into a deadly mess alone tends to have unfortunate results.


M Dwarf Cleric 13

I happened through here with my Ma and Pops caravan last time the festival was going on. Seems the students take pleasure in watching people die in their clever traps. They won't get no pleasure from me though, I'll be stealing it all for myself, I will. Pleasure and me, we make a good team. I'll throw my name in the bucket of those who hope we'll all be allies. I've already said how much I love to 'port and if your a specialist well then even better. I don't know a thing about rapiers, but if your half as good as you look right now I'm sure you'll do just fine. And you "Mr. Harren Whisperwood", your a gnome and I've never met a gnome who didn't know how to have a good time. So about that drink...

He finishes , apparently all in one breath. He reaches into his pack puling out four bottles of something and brandishes them at all of you.


F
Doran Darok wrote:

I happened through here with my Ma and Pops caravan last time the festival was going on. Seems the students take pleasure in watching people die in their clever traps. They won't get no pleasure from me though, I'll be stealing it all for myself, I will. Pleasure and me, we make a good team. I'll throw my name in the bucket of those who hope we'll all be allies. I've already said how much I love to 'port and if your a specialist well then even better. I don't know a thing about rapiers, but if your half as good as you look right now I'm sure you'll do just fine. And you "Mr. Harren Whisperwood", your a gnome and I've never met a gnome who didn't know how to have a good time. So about that drink...

He finishes , apparently all in one breath. He reaches into his pack puling out four bottles of something and brandishes them at all of you.

Polgara eyes the beverage, clearly wary. But a few seconds later she shrugs and says "What's life without whimsy."...

Sense motive any:

Sarcasm. ;-)

..And drinks.


Zantis ports in with much delay.

Sorry for my late arrival, I was caught up in meditation, and couldn't be roused. She was quite patient, however.

Zantis bows to each person individually, introducing himself politely. "My name is Zantis Flethcer. It's a pleasure to meet you."

Zantis, once he is finished introducing himself, takes a seat as directed.


M Dwarf Cleric 13

Zantis, good to meet you The strange looking dwarf says as he hops to his feet. In an outstretched arm he hold one of 3 remaining bottles of stuff. We were just having a drink to celebrate, may I interest you in such pursuits. Desna was kind enough to give us all the good luck to be chosen for this task, least we can do is get a little drunk, she'd like that. The bottle if filled with liquid and branded with a label in dwarven saying Morden's Mean Mead Alcohol %17.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

"Nice to meet you Zantis. My name is Elrond."


Once the introductions are made and everyone has gathered the short female dwarf stands and walks around the desk. She looks over at the group. "Everyone follow me" she says and then leads the group into the headmasters office.

The room is filled from floor to ceiling by bookshelves and a large oaken desk. A man sits in a chair, glancing out a window in his office. The smell of pipe smoke can wafts through the air. "Sir, the first team of adventurers is here" the dwarven woman says before turning to leave, shutting the door behind her.

A wizened old man stands and then turns to face all of you, a long white beard hangs from his face. He motions for you to take a seat in the chairs laid out in the room.

"Welcome, and thank you for answering my invitation. As I’m sure you well know, the Breaching Festival is a longstanding Acadamae tradition, with prizes both material and magical. You might also know that entry in the contest is traditionally reserved for only the best and bravest of our students and a select few representatives of other Korvosan institutions. This year, though, we’re changing tradition and expanding the invitations further than ever—we want the most powerful, qualified individuals to compete, in other words. It has been a century and a half since the last—the only—winner of the Breaching Festival won the prize! One of you surely must bring glory to yourself and the Acadamae by enduring the traps and tricks in the Hall of Wards. I’m even willing to bend the rules to allow a team of allied competitors like yourselves to cooperate as a single unit—whatever it takes to get a winner tomorrow. Please feel free to ask any questions you have of me at this time."

As he speaks he still has the pipe in his mouth and he takes several breaks to take a draw from it.

Thanks your your patience everyone. I'll be back on my normal posting schedule until Friday when i leave for a wedding. The hotel I'm staying at has wireless though so I should be able to get on.


F

"I suppose an unwinnable competition isn't much of a motivator. I believe this group will be able to make significant progress. By all appearances we have a diverse skillset."

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

"Well that solves the team or not question. With our varied skill sets, it seems we have an excellent chance of succeding this challenge."


M Dwarf Cleric 13

It's not unwinable. Someone won it once. That's all the motivation I need. Looking down at the bottles still in his hand he puts one on the desk inching it towards the man. Would you care to join in the celebration of our victory. Might as well start now right?


Male Gnome Oracle 13

Two quick questions. First, do you suspect foul play, that is a log time with no winner? Can you tell us anything about what is inside this year?


When offered drink, he politely declines.

It certainly looks like we've got a wide variety of talents. That's good. We should be able to win this, perhaps even surpassing the time of our predecessor. I believe it would be beneficial to explain our respective skillsets, if possible. I specialize in archery, but have some training with traps, scouting, and I am incredibly mobile when need be.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

My go to weapon will be my rapier here, but I also have plenty of magic to fall back on.


M Dwarf Cleric 13

Well I have Desna's grace to help cure our wounds if necessary, though I must say I'm not quite a professional at that. My true strength lies in....well my strength. If given time to prepare I can become a Juggernaut. Me and my trusty battleaxe will cut any combat challenges down a notch or six. As far as combat goes I work best with a partner. This axe really gets things on edge and off guard when there are others around. Doran cracks his last remaning bottle and takes a deep swig. I have spells to help find the inevitable traps as well, though I must say I have no clue how to fiddle with them, short of just dispelling the magical ones. Desna has also blessed me with the power of freedom and mobility. Should anyone ever be held against their will I can come to your aid. You will slip through the tightest grip as if it were a babes.


Toff seems a little put off at the dwarfs attitude and shakes his head. "Celebrate all you want dwarf but I wouldn't dull your senses to much, you'll need to be on top of your game in the morning."

He smiles as Harren interjects his questions. "We are a little concerned about foul play but it really has never been an issue...although..." he pauses and goes to shut the door. "Some suspect that the last winner cheated and it has tarnished the acadamies reputation some...so I would highly suggest you compete honorably. We really can't take anymore bad press...especially with opening it up to outsiders. Many on campus fought against that decision since it was really meant to be a test for students only. I just felt it important to finally get a true victor whose win wouldn't be contested."

He laughs at Harren's second question. Well my lad that would take all the fun out of it wouldn't it? Rest assured our best students have been working for weeks preparing the traps that you have to face before you enter the hall of wards."

He looks out at the other party members and smiles "Any other questions, if not I saw that your competition is hear and waiting so if you'll excuse me?"

Ask any more questions you may have of Toff and then he'll show you the door.


F

Polgara remaind mostly silent, but she's quite attentive taking in all the information.

"Wards eh?" she thinks to herself as she considers her spell selection for the next day.

Edit: she does add "Is there a time limit or is it sufficient to merely reach some sort of goal, presumably an object or creature to slay?"


"Oh yes you have until sundown to emerge victorious, after sundown you'll be presumed dead and any family will be notified the next day. I don't mean to sound so casual about it but...death is a real factor hear. Not many survive this test and the traps are made to be lethal. You should be warned now and if you're not willing to pay the price of your life you will not be looked down upon. On the bright side the reward for winning is 150,000 gold this year."


F
DM Mathpro wrote:
"Oh yes you have until sundown to emerge victorious, after sundown you'll be presumed dead and any family will be notified the next day. I don't mean to sound so casual about it but...death is a real factor hear. Not many survive this test and the traps are made to be lethal. You should be warned now and if you're not willing to pay the price of your life you will not be looked down upon. On the bright side the reward for winning is 150,000 gold this year."

I forgot I had diplomacy. ;-)

"So I suppose camping spells won't be necessary. (rhetorical) Presumably leaving the gauntlet will be considered forefit even if we have intent to return before sunrise? I could do amazing things with funds like that at my disposal. Is that each or individually?"
Diplomacy 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16
Though this is a one shot that is a lot of scratch. ;-)


"Correct once you start you can not leave the grounds and to do so would cause forefit. And the prize will be slit amongst party members as you see fit."


M Dwarf Cleric 13

Where are we going to stay tonight? Do we get accommodations for being chosen, or are we on our own. Either way is cool. Might I suggest we all stay together to get us in to mood to work together?


F
Doran Darok wrote:
Where are we going to stay tonight? Do we get accommodations for being chosen, or are we on our own. Either way is cool. Might I suggest we all stay together to get us in to mood to work together?

"I have a little place." Polara says with a sly grin.


Male Gnome Oracle 13

"I suppose a short discussion of tactic might be helpful, and if you are willing to host it would be much appreciated."


F

"I have a mansion I can open a doorway to. I think just off the courtyard would be an appropriate place. I am ready when you all are."


Toff nods "Might I suggest the courtyard between the Hall of Summoning and my office? Otherwise the contestants have been given access to the visitors dorms if you would rather stay there. You are free to explore the campus and I have assigned a student escort to you named Jandar he should be in the waiting room waiting for you."

With that he turns to allow you to make your leave. You make your way back into the waiting room and you see another group of adventurers sitting there waiting to meet with Toff. The group consists of a stout looking dwarf, greataxe resting on the floor next to him, a female human, a male human, and a male halfling. The dwarf looks up at you and scoffs. "This is the best competition they could get for us...doesn't look like much."

The other party starts heading into Toffs office and the male halfling stops. "Dont mind my friend here...he has taken far to many blows to the head to be polite. I wish you the best of luck." with that he heads off into the headmasters office.

You see a human dressed in wizards clothing standing in the corner. With the encounter over he walks over to you and introduces himself. "Greetings my name is Jandar Lilswin but you can just call me Jander. I iwll be your escort around campus today. Is there anywhere specifically you want to head on campus?"

I've thrown up a map of the campus in the campaign info section of this thread.


M Dwarf Cleric 13

before the dwarf can leave us he finds a bottle of mead in his hand.

May the best team win brother. Drink deep and ready yourself for the show tomorrow. I anticipate great competition from you, it will be a welcome experience to share with you!


F
DM Mathpro wrote:

Toff nods "Might I suggest the courtyard between the Hall of Summoning and my office? Otherwise the contestants have been given access to the visitors dorms if you would rather stay there. You are free to explore the campus and I have assigned a student escort to you named Jandar he should be in the waiting room waiting for you."

With that he turns to allow you to make your leave. You make your way back into the waiting room and you see another group of adventurers sitting there waiting to meet with Toff. The group consists of a stout looking dwarf, greataxe resting on the floor next to him, a female human, a male human, and a male halfling. The dwarf looks up at you and scoffs. "This is the best competition they could get for us...doesn't look like much."

The other party starts heading into Toffs office and the male halfling stops. "Dont mind my friend here...he has taken far to many blows to the head to be polite. I wish you the best of luck." with that he heads off into the headmasters office.

You see a human dressed in wizards clothing standing in the corner. With the encounter over he walks over to you and introduces himself. "Greetings my name is Jandar Lilswin but you can just call me Jander. I iwll be your escort around campus today. Is there anywhere specifically you want to head on campus?"

I've thrown up a map of the campus in the campaign info section of this thread.

Polgara considers doing something unpleasant to the dwarf, but decides not to once the halfling chimes in and apologizes.

Her annoyed expression changes as she looks at the halfling. "To you as well. I hope you do not die." She say's with utmost sincerity and no sarcasm.

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

"Hmm, where do you think they dug this rabble up from? Best of luck to you, it looks like you need it." Elrond says with a smug look on his face


Zantis bows politely to the incoming party, ignoring Elrond's rude comment. "Good luck to you all."

To Jander, he shakes his head. "I have nowhere specifically that I wish to see."


F

"Jander, I'd like a tour, but also have no specific needs. Just curiosity."

No need to role play the tour unless you just want to.


M Dwarf Cleric 13

Jander my new friend, where do the students like to hang out. Perhaps a local pub or eatery. I wouldn't mind checking out the local scenery if you catch my drift.

Untrained Bluff to pass along to my team that I'm looking for someone who will blab about the test, egotistical student/lowly asistant/ect. 1d20 ⇒ 2


F

Untrained sense motive 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13


excellent bluff check there Doran

Jander nods as most don't have anywhere specific they want to go but then his eyes light up as Doran mentions the student hang out. "Well there is the Ink Stain...its a campus bar and is actually going to be packed with students trying to unwind from the rather eventful preparation for the festival. I will take you all there if you wish."


F
DM Mathpro wrote:

excellent bluff check there Doran

Jander nods as most don't have anywhere specific they want to go but then his eyes light up as Doran mentions the student hang out. "Well there is the Ink Stain...its a campus bar and is actually going to be packed with students trying to unwind from the rather eventful preparation for the festival. I will take you all there if you wish."

"That would be excellent. Take us there please."


You all begin making your way towards the exit with Jandar leading the way. Just as your about to leave the hall you hear a blood curdling scream followed by what sounds like a large explosion. A few seconds after the scream dust rushes out into the hallway from one of the class rooms. You see that one of the doors has exploded. What do you do?

If I could also get the mages to roll me a spellcraft check

[ooc]Just an fyi I am going to be on a different schedule until Sunday...I'll try and get on once a day to keep things going though since this is one of my favorate parts of the game...


F

Spellcraft 1d20 + 24 ⇒ (17) + 24 = 41

Grand Lodge

Male Elf Magus 10/Duelist 3

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (10) + 18 = 28


M Dwarf Cleric 13

and now the wisdom based caster he he1d20 + 14 ⇒ (9) + 14 = 23


Male Gnome Oracle 13

spellcraft1d20 + 18 ⇒ (20) + 18 = 38


M Dwarf Cleric 13

Doran draws his axe and move towards the door after he finds out what he can from the spellcraft check. He takes a look for the cause.

Perception:1d20 + 25 ⇒ (12) + 25 = 37

1 to 50 of 163 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Academy of Secrets All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.