Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

Aardvark's "To What Depths Would You Go For Freedom?" S&S Campaign (Inactive)

Game Master Troy Malovich

Four unlucky souls find themselves press-ganged into the crew of the Wormwood.


301 to 350 of 1,128 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>

Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Hearing the cry and seeing Balsooma begin his way towards the deck, Ciera glances nervously at the drop below her...

How high off the deck is Ciera?

if more than 20':

Ciera begins to climb down as fast as possible.
Climb: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

if less than 20':

Ciera takes a deep breath and, stealing herself leaps from the ropes towards the deck.

On my reading of the acrobatics rule a DC 15 check would mean no damage from 1'-19' if this is right go with this action, otherwise climb as above.

acrobatics: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Kelly, are you still out there?

Ciera and Holgur are between 6'-40' off the deck, Balsooma is 40'-55' off the deck.
Ciera 1d35 + 5 ⇒ (28) + 5 = 33' After a double move, she can be at 18', and use her Acrobatics check to drop to the deck.
Holgur 1d35 + 5 ⇒ (33) + 5 = 38' Makes no progress, but can make another check for a second move action.
Balsooma 1d15 + 40 ⇒ (7) + 40 = 47' With a double move, he can be 32' from deck.

Seeing Samms go over the side, Holgur cries out the warning, and starts his way down. A strong buffet snaps a block at him, and he manages to maintain his grip, but it arrests his movement until he can regain his grip.

Cieran, being the lowest amongst them, scrabbles lower and as he nears the deck drops the last. A bold move to be sure, in the storm-tossed ship to a slippery deck awash with water, but as he has demonstrated during his excercises, he lands nimbly.

Balsooma works to make his way down, crawling down the wet rigging, making a steady progress.


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Just to be clear, I intended to put it in the last post, take another round of actions. Holgur, you can take another move (or standard) action in the first round. Throwing a rope is a Ranged Touch, with a 10' range increment.

In round 1, she is 10 feet from the ship.
In round 2, she is 1d3 ⇒ 3 x10' further away, for a total of 40' away.

Swim check 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Samms again flounders in the water, waves splash over her head, pushing her down beneath the water. She can just be made out below the surface, thrashing against the brutish waves threatening to drag her under.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

So Holgur has to get to the deck, grab a rope and then throw it, correct?

Holgur rushes down the ropes as quickly as he can once the ship is stable again. Double Move

Climb
1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 7 - 2 = 15

If he gets to the deck in this round he will grab a rope and throw it to Samms

Ranged Touch roll I am not sure what the penalty is for this range or if his favored enemy bonus would apply (I assume it would not)
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

Sorry for the extended absence, I was TDY last week, I expected to be able to access the net from there, as they had in hotel WiFi. It was not what I would call 'internet access' it was more, random spurts of data from somewhere else. Anyway, I'm back at home now.

Also I see my profession rolls where already done, so starting off with 'Round 1' of man overboard.

ROUND 1

Kelly throws caution to the wind and begins his downward decent.
quick climb: 1d20 + 0 - 5 ⇒ (15) + 0 - 5 = 10

Not sure what the DC is, I already took the -5 for climbing quick, so if the base DC is 10, I climb down 20', if the DC is 15 or more, I find the deck very quickly.

ROUND 2

If Success and still on the Rigging:
Kelly will continue his decent 1d20 + 0 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 0 - 5 = 12

If on the ground and still conscious:
Kelly will rush to assist Holgur in his attempt to send a line to the way ward sailor.ranged touch: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16 and help with hauling the line in. Strength: 1d20 ⇒ 19

If unconscious:
gurrgle


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Glancing over as he descends through the rigging, Balsooma sees Samms slip under the water. Offering a quick prayer to Besmara, he doubles his pace downwards.

Climb (double move): 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (14) + 8 - 2 = 20


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Rushing to the closest rope Ciera slips loose the belaying pin and takes it up. She swings the coil and throws it towards Samms.

1d20 ⇒ 6 Not sure what modifier to add?? - not that it matters.


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Kelly's height in round 1 1d35 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17'. So with his first round move action and quick climb, he gets to the deck first.

Kelly, being fairly low on the rigging when the call goes out, scurries down with surprising efficiency. He makes it to the deck and grabs a rope, just as Cieran lands nimbly nearby. He tosses it out into the water toward Samms. Holgur and Balsooma trailing behind as they both work to make their way down from the rigging to lend a hand.

Kelly tosses the rope, and it lands with a surprising splash at the spot where Samms flounders. In her thrashing, she finds the rope, and grabs it as is evident by it beginning to pull under along with her.

End of Round 2: Remember 1 move action of climbing gets you 1/4 your speed. So double move only nets you 15' of progress.
Holgur 16' off the deck (I used your first climb as the second move action from round 1, and the roll for the rope as your double move this round.)
Balsooma 17' off the deck
Kelly hit Samms with the end of the rope
Cieran can help in hauling the rope

Round 3: Samms gets a bonus to her swim check equal to double the Str mods helping haul the rope. With Kelly and Cieran, that equals a grand total of +2.
Swim Check 1d20 + 7 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 7 + 2 = 18

With the rope in hand, held at the very least by Kelly and Cieran, she manages to get her head back above water. She struggles to pull herself forward up the line, but at least she doesn't drift further away. All you can do now is hope she doesn't lose her grip on the line, or you may not be able to get another throw out to her before it's too late.

Up to 3 people may hold the rope. If in this round 1 more person can get a hand on the rope, she makes progress toward the ship.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

Seeing that Kelly and the lad Ciera have hold of the rope Holgur feels a tinge of relief but continues his hasty descent to the deck.

Double move down and towards the other two at the rope, if he can make it there in one round he grabs and pulls with all his strength.

Climb
1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 2 = 20


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Balsooma climbs down again, moving quickly through the rigging, before racing over to throw his strength behind the rope.

Climb (fast, 1/2 speed): 1d20 + 8 - 5 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 8 - 5 - 2 = 13

Strength (if needed): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Weird, it's showing that Balsooma posted, but I'm not seeing it.


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Yeah. Looks like the forum ate my post.

Balsooma hastens towards the deck, throwing himself bodily through the rigging. Dropping the last couple of feet to the ground, he moves to put his strength behind the rope.

Climb (fast, 15' move): 1d20 + 8 - 2 - 5 ⇒ (6) + 8 - 2 - 5 = 7

Strength (if needed): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

And my good rolls. That's disappointing. Looks like the deck will be coming up much more quickly.


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Holgur finishes his path down the rigging, and gets to the rope in time to start helping pull the woman in. Balsooma, however, finds he took a bad path, and has stranded himself to where he needs to follow a different direction.

Round 4
Samms swim check 1d20 + 7 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 7 + 8 = 21

With the three of them hauling the rope, Samms is just able to be pulled back up onto the ship, coughing and shivering.


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

Kelly rushes to bring Samms below decks, thinking quickly he guides her to the galley, as it is likely the warmest, dry place on the ship right now. "Cirean, go fetch a blanket, or some warm clothes for her. Ambrose, if'n ye have some soup on, it would be a great kindness if you could dish a bowl for the woman, she's had quite the ordeal." Turning to Balsooma and Holgur, ”Gentlemen, I reckon that the captain, Mr. Plugg, and Mr. Scourge all would be none to pleased if they were to discover that the rigging were abandoned. Could ye be so kind as to again man the rigs so as to diffuse the temper of the mate and swain? Also, no sense in ye selves risking knots or stripes come bloody hour when there be no need. Should there be stripes to be earned from saving this lass, I have no problem in them being my own. I and Cirean shall return soon as we’re able.”

Kelly then takes to examining Samms to make sure she isn't going to succumb to exposure to the sea and cold.
Heal: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

If Samms seems stable and lucid, Kelly will see if Ambrose can take her as charge, and as soon as Cieran returns with a blanket, he will head topside with him.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

"That's good thinking, Kelly. It's a sharp mind ye' got there."

"Samms, ye'r in good hands, rest easy and I am quite glad to see ye're safe again."

"Balsooma, let's do like Kelly said and save ourselves grief."

Climb
1d2 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 7 - 2 = 7

Holgur makes too much haste in trying to get topside again and fails to exercise due care for the wet ropes and the pitching of the ship.


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Balsooma, finally reaching the deck to see Samms already aboard, nods at Kelly's smart words. "As my mother would say: no need to piss on an angry drunk."

Grimacing at the thought of hauling himself back up into the wet, windy rigging, Balsooma nevertheless sets to it again.

Climb: 1d20 + 8 - 2 ⇒ (11) + 8 - 2 = 17

Holgur, you might have better luck climbing using a 1d20 instead of a 1d2.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5
Balsooma Hishal wrote:

Balsooma, finally reaching the deck to see Samms already aboard, nods at Kelly's smart words. "As my mother would say: no need to piss on an angry drunk."

Holgur, you might have better luck climbing using a 1d20 instead of a 1d2.

I think I will follow your advice.

Climb
1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 2 = 20

Holgur laughs hardily at Balsooma's jest and climbs the rigging steadily despite the wind, wet ropes and the pitching of the ship. He has to pause more than once to snicker at the image of the blacksmith's mother imparting her wisdom to her son.

I got a good laugh out of that myself.


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

At Kelly's words Ciera turns and looking about for blankets or clothes, rushes off to find Grok, thinking that finding the Quatermaster would be the best way of finding the items.


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Kelly's able to get Samms down below, what with the weather and activity happening above. Sadly, Ambrose gives him a little bad news. "Ah can't give 'er sumthin' warm with me gally rockin' so. Best Ah can do fer ya is let 'er sit in me room fer a spell. As it is, all tha's fer supper tenight is mornin' biscuit." She shouldn't be too bad off, considering you are in the Shackles, the water never reaches hypothermia temperatures, and she's only slightly wetter than everyone out working in the rain. Her shivers seem to be more from shock than anything else, and the longer she's on ship the faster she dismisses them.

Grok, with her store located in the galley, takes the woman and leads her to the room that her and Ambrose share off the side of the galley. Ambrose adds quickly, "Ye might want be gettin' back to yer duties. Tha' basterd Plugg catchin' ya not where ye should be will put a 'air up 'is arse like ye wouldn' b'lieve"

--------------------

As the bell tolls end of day, Mr. Plugg informs everyone what the plan is, "I don't want any of you thinking the day is over. If this weather gets a hold of us, it will be downright ugly for the Wormwood, which means it'll be even worse for your sorry lot. Supper is biscuit, no rum tonight, eat quick because your going right back up into them lines."

No night actions, no Rum actions. Instead, a second work shift. Same jobs as before, but everyone has to make a Con check to avoid fatigue, and this one you can't add work diligently to.


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

Glad that Samms is getting over the shakes (I don't know how much is known about "shock" in the Pathfinder world) Kelly is happy to take Grok and Ambrose's advice and return to duties, so as to avoid the ire of Plugg. However the news of having to return to the mainsail is nearly as disheartening as hearing that he is to get the lash. Kelly trudges to the rigs and began to ascend.

Profession Sailor: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

He finds that now he is getting the shakes, the rush of the earlier activity is draining away now, and he is having a hard time keep his hands steady. He just hopes he can tie knots and haul line without tumbling to the deck. The effort is daunting as he tried to soldier through the weather and fatigue.

Con Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

Forgive the abbreviated post, I am pressed for time today.

Profession (Sailor)
1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (5) + 5 - 2 = 8

Con Check
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

As the storm blows the ship about and makes the topmasts a slippery mess Holgur can do little more than hold on tightly to keep his balance. His work falters badly and he reproaches himself for the danger that this puts the ship in more than for the risk it places him for stripes. The wind throws his hands and causes him to lose his grip many times. And many times he is forced to crawl slowly here and there to secure the ropes and bring them back again. In the end all this effort takes its toll and he finds himself with heavy limbs and labored breath.


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Balsooma devours his biscuit ration, then - though his stomach growls in protest at the megre fare - sets off back up the mainmast.

Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Dex (diligent): 1d20 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 1 + 4 = 8

He has grown used to moving about in the rigging now, clambering between jobs as needed. But, although he fights hard, making effective use of his strength proves difficult. Rain-slicked ropes slip from his grasp, and his large fingers struggle at tying off knots.

Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Nevertheless, he works with gritted determination, trying to make up for his poor performance with sheer persistence.


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Sorry for any confusion, but you CAN work diligently at your job, just NOT on the fatigue check. So, Kelly and Holgur, if you want you can apply it to your rolls.


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Str (work diligently) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Con 1d20 ⇒ 17

Ciera stands in the lee of the sail, huddled against the cold before she once again swings into the rigging. Despite the wind, the cold and the damp, he eventually finds his rhythm and works into the night, losing track of time as the sun sinks below the horizon.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

Holgur will work diligently in that case for a total of 12 instead of 8.


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

Being that I totally forget about the -2 due to weather, I will be more than happy to take the diligent bonus, especially since there are few alternatives. This results in a profession check result of 12, but only a 9 on the CON check.


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

The -2 only applies to the skill checks, not the fatigue checks.

The night seems long, and with the dark of the clouded skies and the ever-present storm, you are all surprised to even see the gray light of dawn on the horizon. Work was rough, and there was no sleep in working through the stormy night. The weather has at least died down, as it were, to settle back to a heavy rain. The wind has calmed some, but the downpour continues.

As the gray of the day begins to lighten the chimes of the heavy brass clock on the mainmast chime the start of a new day. The crew looks ready to drop, and there is a collective groan of dissent at knowing that another day begins right on the tail of the previous day's work coming to a close. Mr. Plugg informs the crew, "You have enough time for the morning biscuit, then it's back to work with all of you. The storm was tiring, but that don't mean there ain't still work to be done this day. You better take the short break to regain your strength for the day ahead, or there'll be hell to pay for your laziness."

------------------------------

Day 9
the -2 to all Rigger checks for heavy rain is still present for Holgur.
Kelly, Holgur, and Balsooma are fatigued from the double duty the day before.

GM Rolls:
Holgur 1d6 ⇒ 4, 1d6 ⇒ 4
Kelly 1d6 ⇒ 2, 1d11 ⇒ 10
Ciera 1d6 ⇒ 4, 1d11 ⇒ 10, reroll 1d11 ⇒ 4
Balsooma 1d6 ⇒ 5, 1d100 ⇒ 42

Holgur is luckily brought down from the upper end work, to handle doing rope work. It seems he was about to get sent back up into the lines, but out of nowhere Samms asked for the work and headed up, giving Holgur a wink as she passed. Not so luckily, he is stuck working with Maheem, the scowl of the big Rahadoumi man looks almost permanent.

Rope Work:
Make a Profession (Sailor) -OR- a Dexterity Check.

Kelly seems to be the sure pick for removing the vermin on board, at least in Master Scourge's eyes. For some reason, he seems to keep giving Kelly as many of the foul and demeaning jobs as he can. To make matters worse, he is once again paired with Fipps, who doesn't seem to have warmed up to Kelly any more than can be expected and doesn't look to be doing so any time soon.

Rat Catcher:
Make either a Stealth -OR- Survival -OR- Dexterity Check.

Cieran gets stuck doing some of the heavy work, like Scourge just enjoys seeing the young man flounder beneath the weight. He's not the only young man that has to suffer, as fate would have it, he is paired with young Jack Scrimshaw once again. Jack spends most of the time giving Cieran wierd looks, like he's worried what the man might say to him.

Hauling Rope and Knot Work:
Make a Profession (Sailor) -OR- a Strength check.
Also, make a Constitution check.

Balsooma arrives in the galley after breakfast to see Ambrose and Grok shooting the bull, sitting about on a crate and a barrel respectively. They have the bottles out, and are talking about other moments of storms, crews they have worked with in the past, and all the to do about the night before. They wave Balsooma over to a seat, hand the bottle over to him, and almost forcefully get him to start the day with a hearty swig.

Bull Session:
Drinking with Ambrose and Grok, and listening to their stories. You are expected to drink deeply during this time, and risk offending your new friends if you refuse.

Everyone must make an additional Constitution check to avoid fatigue (or exhaustion if already fatigued). This one is also not affected by weather or working diligently.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

Profession sailor + Work Diligently
1d20 + 5 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (3) + 5 + 4 - 2 = 10

Con Check
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Working the riggings two days in a row under these conditions takes its toll on Holgur and he spends as much time gasping for breath as he does doing anything of use. He ignores Maheem and his scowl and works in silence as much as he possibly can.

Did I do something to offend the dice roller?


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Ciera sighs deeply as her job is announced - another day's work hauling ropes after the night before not appealing in the least and, to top it off it seemed that she had made a tactical error with the handsome young man. Maybe if she ignored him? Glancing at the young man she resolved to work her hardest through the day.

Str: 1d20 + 1 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 1 + 4 - 2 = 15
Con1: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Con2: 1d20 ⇒ 3


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

Not at all surprised at the choice of duty assigned to him, Kelly trudges to the hold to begin his chore. He ponders the possibility of concocting some sort of bait and poison for the critters to make the job simple, and glancing at Fipps, wonder further if it would work on him. He snickers to himself during his work and mutters under his breath and he tries to suppress a laugh, "Care for some cheese mister Fipps?" Kelly then turns his attentions to the job, not wanting to engage Fipps with words or eyes if at all possible.

Dex Check: 1d20 + 2 - 1 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 2 - 1 + 4 = 11

Con Check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

Between the long hours, and the excitement of yesterday, Kelly struggles to try and catch the critters, many seem to just elude his grasp. His constant struggle ware him out quickly, come evening, he is totally exhausted.


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Worn out from the past day spent clambering around the rigging, Balsooma lacks the strength to conjure up a lecture about early-morning drinking. Instead, he joins the pair, slumping down on a nearby barrel and drinking deeply from the offered bottle.

"Weather normally that foul?" he grumbles. "Never been at sea in a storm. Makes you feel alive, it seems. But, then again, most everything threatening you with slippery death does." After a bottle-draining pause he turns to Grok: "So, how'd you managed to end up on this boat?"

Con: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

With the drain of the previous day's storm, and coupled with the lack of sleep, almost all of you drift off at one point or another. All it takes is a brief moment to pause, and next thing you know you are getting hollered at by either Plugg or Scourge. Both of them seemingly watching everyone like a hawk, and putting their heads together in whispered conversation now and again. The word around ship seems to be that everyone's going to have a rough day tomorrow, and Master Scourge will likely need to have his arm in a sling after he wears out his shoulder giving six lashes to everyone that feels it's okay to fall asleep at work.

Oddly, Cieran was doing fairly well after the storm, but it took almost no time at all for his work to catch up to him, and then he just broke down after that into exhaustion.

Balsooma seemed to luck out as it were, maybe it's something about the fire of the extra rum in his belly, or the easy 'work' he ended up with for the day. Regardless, he's able to stave off the effects of the last day and a half, even with the effects of the rum seeping in. Drinking with Ambrose and Grok has its risks, but it isn't much of a problem not over-indulging with Ambrose as an example of what you may become sitting right in front of him.

Rum addiction attack 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (10) - 5 = 5, Drink Deeply Con damage 1d3 ⇒ 3

They both answer his question of storms with a few more tales, both comedic and trajic, on the state of weather in the Shackles. In the end the short answer is that 'Yes, the weather gets that bad, and can spring up at any moment'. At the question of Grok's employment, she simply explains "Growin' up in bloody Port Peril ain't no easy life fer a purty young girl like meself" she points to the large scar across her throat, "But ye learn to overcome yer hardships, and get yer lazy ass a job jus' ta get outta there. Been taking ship jobs since Ah t'were no more than thirteen. I worked fer the Cap'n on one o' his other ships with this fat sot here." indicating Ambrose endearingly enough. "Tha Cap'n popped into Port Peril a few months ago, needin' more swabs ta man the Wormwood."

Feel free to take Rum and Evening actions now.


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

"You're a strong woman," Balsooma says to Grok, half sagely, half-drunk. He pats her on the shoulder, the rum removing any thought as to proper conduct between officers and swabs. "Besmara's eye is on you, I'd wager. You'll be a wealthy pirate captain yourself one of these days."

Thus stated, Balsooma will head up on deck for the evening meal and rum ration. He hungrily devours whatever food he can get his hands on, but when offered a tankard of even more rum, he tips the whole thing over the side within moments of it being in his possession.

Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

The day complete, he'll stumble back down to the hold, to fall fast asleep in his hammock within moments.


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

Being lucky to become conscious long enough to attend mess and get his meal and rum, Kelly eats his food, and drinks his rum, trying his best to stay awake. Upon finishing, he stumbles to his hammock, trying his best not to fall out before he falls asleep.

Action: Sleep Early


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Ciera stumbles to the line of sailors waiting for their food and rum, trying unsuccessfully to stifle a huge yawn. Huddled against the wind, she scoops the swill into her mouth and follows it with a gulp of rum which helps to disguise the taste.

As soon as she is finished she carefully makes her way below-decks to find her hammock, which she climbs into gratefully and soon falls into a deep sleep.

(drink normally, Sleep early)


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Assuming Holgur will also just get some sleep.

DAY 10

The night is quiet, mainly from everyone being so exhausted on their feet that there's no motivation to stay up and play. The next morning comes way too soon it seems, and it feels like no sooner had you laid down in your hammock that the morning bell had rung. Though, you do feel a lot less drowsy. The work day is not much different from any other, except for the nagging fact that just about everyone will be getting lashes for having fallen asleep the day before.

GM Rolls:
Holgur 1d6 ⇒ 6, 1d6 ⇒ 3
Kelly 1d6 ⇒ 2, 1d11 ⇒ 1
Ciera 1d6 ⇒ 2, 1d11 ⇒ 2
Balsooma 1d6 ⇒ 5, 1d100 ⇒ 97

Holgur gets placed back on mainsail duties, and Mr. Plugg even makes sure and put Samms elsewhere so she doesn't try to take it for him. That's not the worst of it, he has the distinct pleasure of working with none other than the mouthy little gnome, Conchobar, that traded insults with him early on in the voyage.

Mainsail Duties:
Make either a Profession (Sailor) -OR- a Strength check.
Also, make a Constitution check to avoid being fatigued

Kelly and Cieran both get put together with Sandara for rat catching once again. This time, though, they are joined by Rosie Cusswell the foul-mouthed halfling that Balsooma beat at the arm-wrestling. Given that all the vermin are making their presence known after the storm passed, there are a lot more hands this time around. You get a lovely opportunity to see Rosie work her profanity, as she does so every time she misses one of the vermin. You also learn from Sandara, that her and Rosie were press-ganged together a few days before your group, and that Conchobar and Crimson Cogsward were also grabbed that day.

Rat Catcher:
Make either a Stealth -OR- Survival -OR- Dexterity Check.

Balsooma is in for a treat, since Ambrose has been taking it easy with the rum more and more lately, he has less work that needs to be done. He and Grok decide that they would continue the fun they had the day before, and continue to laugh and joke with one another.

Bull Session:
Drink Deeply 1d3 ⇒ 2 Con damage, addiction attack 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (16) - 5 = 11. Ouch, that puts you at 4 Con damage (after sleeping the 1 pt off overnight)


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Ciera yawned as she slowely approached the rat, which was cleaning its paws against the bulkhead. She smiled to herself as Rosie's foul language echoed from the next hold. Presumably she'd missed another of the dirty animals.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Proudly she returned to the others, holding up yet another dead rat and smirking at Rosie. "Don't know 'ow ya manage t' miss 'em Rosie. Seems pretty easy t' me. Maybe if ya took a bath every now an' then they wouldn't be able t' smell ya comin!"

Influence (diplomacy): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

Kelly approaches his work for the day with his usual amount of disdain, tempered to a finer edge with the sleep that has eluded him for the past few days. Seeing that he is getting posted with Ciera dulls his temper a bit as working with the nimble boy should make the work easier, and having a friend at his back is preferable to the company of yesterday. Getting to the hold and seeing that Sandara is also present is nearly enough to make the cynical, grumpy man smile. Kelly gets to work, but spends a fair amount of the time there chatting, and flirting, with Sandara.

Work Check: Dex 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Obviously he spends too much time chatting, and not enough time catching, as he realizes how much time he has squandered he doubles his efforts, seeing that his companions have done a good job clearing the holds, there are few enough vermin left for his to fill his quota. This coupled with the knowledge that he will be getting stripes this evening anyway serve to discourage him even more. By the toll of the bell marking the end of the duty day, his cynical, grumpy self returns. He sneaks off quickly to hide his normal pouches and vials in his locker for potential use after this evening. In case he is not conscious to make use he tries to find as many of his friends as possible to tell them which of his medicines to administer to him should he end up in that state. He tries to seek out Ciera, Holgur, Balsooma, and Sandara letting each of them know if possible before the blood hour festivities begin.

Will use the 'Sneak' action to sneak off to the crew quarter, not so much for the effect of using perception but to stash his gear without getting caught, he will emerge from below decks in nothing but a pair a trousers, attempting to save some effort having to mend a shirt ruined by the lash.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

Holgur drags himself up to the mainsails and sets to work with an aim not to fall asleep at so great a height. If the gnome says anything to him that does not relate to work he replies with a curt "shut up, runt!" and goes back to work.

Profession (Sailor) + work diligently
1d20 + 9 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 9 - 2 = 14


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Although not fully recovered from the previous day's round of drinks, and feeling a mite guilty of tapping into the rum with Ambrose about, Balsooma nevertheless resumes his seat on the barrel and fills his mug.

"So," he asks at one point, "what sort of targets does the captain like to hit? Villages? Traders? Upstart pirates? Chelish Navy?" His eys brighten and his grin grows at the last one. "Or is he more the treasure-hunting type?"


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

Rosie chuckles at the good-natured ribbing, "You got a lot of balls to be talking s~~# considering how much of a pussy you are. Hell, son, what was it just a week ago you popped your mother's tit out of your mouth and changed your own swaddling clothes? I'll be f~~%ed sideways with a wooden leg before I let you catch more of these filthy buggers than I do." She renews her efforts, which whenever missed, renews her profanity. "Hey, you little s~+#, you all buddied up to that lanky git Grok, right? Any way you can get that s&#$-green whore to give me my fiddle back? She wouldn't listen to me when I tried."

Sandara sees that Kelly is more than a little distracted, so as the two of them talk she periodically will drop one of her catches into his bucket. It's not enough to make it look like he did a good job, but it's enough to avoid more beatings than what is expected already.

Holgur the weather has cleared and there is no more -2 from it.
Holgur works the day mostly in silence, as the gnome does what he can to keep his distance from Holgur, preferring to try and ignore him outright.

"Oy, tha Cap'n likes ta go fer tha other ships. They ain't nuthin' like 'aulin' in a a 'ole vessel filled wit both crew and booty. Ah think it may be a few days afore we gets us back on track. Tha' storm blew hard, an' ah think we's outside where 'e were plannin' on 'untin." Ambrose explains between stories and swigs, and though they've been drinking the last two days, it seems as if he's maintaining a bit of moderation compared to before.

As Bloody Hour rolls around, there's a lot of groaning and disparaging complaints. Almost everyone is assigned lashes, and from the four of you only Balsooma is in the clear.

Holgur: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Kelly: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Ciera: 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5, 1d3 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

Holgur gets his licks, but he manages to maintain consciousness. Kelly and Cieran, on the other hand, get struck unconscious. Luckily you are not whipped to death, as he stops after the blow that knocks you out, and any left over get added to the next day. Kelly, manages to make it to the last blow, but Cieran received two solid cracks, and will have to get his third the next day.

Reminder: any NL over your max HP becomes Lethal. So Kelly has 9 NL and 3 lethal. Ciera has 8 NL and 2 lethal.

Kelly wakes only a little while later, with Sandara standing over him with one of the bottles he pointed out to her. He is still sore, and the pain in his back makes it hard for him to do much beyond move. She decides to say a quick prayer to Besmara, as she touches Cieran's stripes. His wounds seem to close and knit a little cleaner. "You two should stay out of sight. I think ol' Scourge will have a fit and whip you again if he sees you up and around so soon after a whipping."

CLW on Kelly 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
CLW on Cieran 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Rum Rations (except Kelly and Ciera) and Evening Actions.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

At the toll of the Bloody Hour Holgur removes his shirt so that the whipping will not leave bits of cloth in the wounds. He hopes that it will also favorably impress the crowd that he does not show obvious signs of fear and that are a few old scars already on his skin.

After his last lash has split the skin of his back Holgur fights to keep his knees straight. Much of the punishment of lashes is in the impression it makes on the crew who bear witness. If a pirate makes too much noise it hurts him in the estimation of the crewmen. With that in mind Holgur makes all effort to do no more than grunt when each lash lands. This bastard, Scourge, is a devil with a whip. He will find easy employment in the Hells when his miserable days are over. I just pray to Besmara that I have a hand in seeing that his end comes soon.

Blood streaming down to his ass, Hoglur does his best to walk upright and straight as a man who has received stripes can. He takes his place among the on-lookers as Kelly and Ciera receive their stripes. He holds his rolled-up shirt to them to remind them to take theirs off as they receive their torment. When Kelly drops Holgur makes haste, as best that he can, to pick him up before any of the others can. Many a pirate gets his pockets rifled by treacherous hands at times like these. He trusts that Balsooma will come to Ciera's aid if the lad needs it.

Getting lashes like a green land-lubber! That has been a while fer me. Best we do something to make a better impression on the crew here before they start thinking of taking liberties with any of us.

Once Kelly and Ciera have been seen to Sandara he downs his rum and meal then gets to sleep early. "You are a good one, Sandara" he tells her quietly before she makes her leave.


AC: 14 [T: 11 FF: 13] | HP: 18/24 | F16, R12, W16 | Init: +3 | Perc: +8 Male Human (Vudrani) Inquisitor 2

Balsooma watches the bloody hour stony-faced, his big arms folded across his chest. At the crack of each lash his jaw twitches. After Holgur returns to the crowd, his back bloodied, Balsooma pushes his way through to him.

"I don't like this," he mutters. "Some beating makes iron stronger, but too much and it breaks. It seems our captain likes to err on the side of too much."

When Kelly is being whipped, he turns instead to watch the crowd, and gauge their reactions to the spectacle.

Perception or Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16. What sort of reaction does the crew have to the whippings? Do they jeer at thier crewmates' failures earning them stripes? Are they silent in their watch? Do they look uncomfortable? That's the sort of thing he's looking for.

When Cieran's whipping is cut short after two blows, the boy slumping at the mast, Balsooma will follow Holgur's lead and strides over to lend a hand to carrying the boy away. As he does, he curses under his breath: "Besmara's foluest pox upon the man who laid these stripes."

Once Kelly and Cieran are stowed away, he will return to the evening's activities: collecting his share of the food and rum.

Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15

The latter he dumps over the side, still feeling the effects hanging about him from earlier in the day. Looking around for Holgur, he sees that the man has turned in early, and - still disgusted by the bloody hour - decides to do the same.


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Ciera smiles at Rosie's taunts "Yeah, its a bit of a surprise that they run so fast from you - it seems even the bloody vermin think yer ugly! Grok wouldn't give ye the fiddle eh? maybe she thought t' save us all from yer playing? Ye don't sing too do ye? I'd hate t' 'av t' listen to yer voice any more than i 'av to. Tell ye what, I'll see if i can get yer fiddle if ye promice not t' sing at me."

Ciera moves to the mast for her whipping, not removing her shirt despite Holgur's example. As she takes her stripes she attempts, at first to refrain from crying out but, as the first strike lands against her back she gives an involuntary gasp. As the second lands she screams and slumps to the deck unconcious... As she rises from darkness Ciera sees Sandara standing over her. "I think i'll be tryin' t' avoid the bastard as much as i can. Gods but I wish there was somethin' we could do t' get 'im back. Thanks fer ye help milady. I don't know that i'll be able t' take another 'un tomorrow."


Male Human Alchemist(Chirurgeon)-2 (AC: 15 (+4 vs AoO) [T: 13 FF: 12] | HP: 8/16 | F15, R16, W13 | Init: +2 |Perc: +7)

After the elixir passes down into him, the happy blackness in which Kelly swims starts to turn light. He has the sensation of being pulled upward, like being pulled from the dark currents, only to break water into the stinging sun and air. As he tries to adjust to seeing light again, his first images are of the Lady Sandara's face looking down on him.

Kelly drags in a ragged breath and croaks, "Were it not for the bite of the lash still upon my back, I'd say I had been press-ganged by Besmara herself." He then smiles briefly before the next ragged breath breaks into a fit of coughs, and his eyes are thrown shut again as he is wracked with pain. As he holds out against the black again, he notices the pain continues to subside to a level that he can function through. He raises his head and looks around before he attempts to sit up. "I saw Holgur take his, he seemed none worse for the ware, how fares the boy?" At that he begins to look around spying for his companions.

Kelly then gathers his wits, takes in the information presented, and nods in agreement with Sandara's advice. He keeps clear of the deck and spends the remainder of his evening laying low in the hold, fidgeting with his alchemical devices and preparing for morning. He does his best to tend and dress his own wounds, and asks if the lad would like help with his.

After any possible RP exchanges, Kelly will sleep for the night.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5
Balsooma Hishal wrote:

Balsooma watches the bloody hour stony-faced, his big arms folded across his chest. At the crack of each lash his jaw twitches. After Holgur returns to the crowd, his back bloodied, Balsooma pushes his way through to him.

"I don't like this," he mutters. "Some beating makes iron stronger, but too much and it breaks. It seems our captain likes to err on the side of too much."

When the crowd makes noise in response to the Ciera's whipping Holgur takes the opportunity to reply to Balsooma in a slightly hushed voice. "Scourge and Plugg are right bastards" he says through gritted teeth. "I never seen a ship run like this. Stripes can be earned for disobedience but there is no point in bloodying a mate for something out of his control."

"This says to me that they rule through fear, make everyone scared of 'em so no one stands up to 'em. But I think we need to see who would be on our side if we decide to do something against 'em."


Human Rogue (Acrobat) 2 (AC: 17 [T: 14 FF: 13] | HP: 7/11, 6NL | F+0, R+7, W-1 | Init: +4 |Perc: +4)

Ciera takes Sandara's advice and lays low in the hold, catching up on sleep and nursing her bruised back in her hammock.


Maps: Starday, 21 Rova 4712 (SStar) | Fireday, 14 Pharast 4714 (MM)| Moonday, 13 Gozreh 4708 (CotCT)

As the whippings take place, it's a little tough to gauge the crew. Those that are loyal to Scourge and Plugg, primarily the four you fought the second day, Patch, and Kipper, all seem to enjoy them regardless of who recieves. Maheem and Crimson, seem to take pleasure in them as well. The rest of the crew appear mostly indifferent, they are not happy about it, but they are not ready to put up a fuss. Those most bothered are your friends, but mainly when you guys get yours. As a whole the crew mostly seems ambivalent unless they are directly involved. No of them like getting theirs, but there doesn't seem to be many cliques beyond the four of you and your friends, and the lickspittles at Scourge and Plugg's heels.

Sandara replies to Holgur's evaluation with a bit of scoff, "What you may see as good, I see as just taking care of some of my own. You've been some of the more reasonable lot amongst these blaggards."

To Kelly's comparison she amends, "Oi, I think not, Besmara's crew would have you in the cold embrace of her briny depths. Preying on the sailors that don't live right by the pirate's code."

Besmara is the goddess of pirates, strife, and sea monsters. She's pretty much like Davy Jones in goddess form. Maybe more like Calypso.

----------------------
Day 11:

Despite healing rates it seems all wounds have been healed.

The day seems to have returned to its normal shine, this second day after the end of the storm passed. The waters look mostly clear, and bright, the sky a nice blue. After the morning biscuit, Master Scourge begins handing out jobs. As Balsooma heads down toward the gally, Mr. Plugg stops him "You! Cook's boy! Look yonder." He points over the port side of the ship, to an almost imperceptible reef just under the waves about two-hundred feet away. "Head on over to that reef there and see if there is any crab. The Captain spotted it and expects some brought back. Go grab four other swabs, a bucket and a fishing spear each, and bring some back. Just let the Bosun know who you're taking with you."

It's 200' away, calm waters. I don't like the swim rules, so I'm allowing the climb fast rule to swim as well. Up the DC by 5 to swim 1/2 instead of 1/4. Otherwise as a full-round, a halfling could only ever go 5', regardless of how well they swim. The fishing spear is the same as a shortspear, which is a simple so everyone should be proficient.


Male Human Ranger-Skirmisher 2 | HP 21/21 | AC 16 FF 12 T14 | Saves +5/ +5/ +1 | Init + 8 | Perc + 5

The word "crab" resounds in Holgur's ears as he stands just a few steps away from Mr. Plugg. He licks his lips and waits for Balsooma to pick him. I, on the other hand, would rather be impressed into service on the Wormwood than eat a nasty aquatic bug.

The swim to the island does not look all that difficult but there could well be beasties lurking between the ship and the beach.

Holgur will take 10 on Swim checks for the journey to the island.

301 to 350 of 1,128 << first < prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Aardvark's "To What Depths Would You Go For Freedom?" S&S Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.