Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

AZ's Kingmaker

Game Master Azure_Zero

Current Map
Current Game Date: Pharast 28th

Updated: 04/29/2014

Renders:


1 to 50 of 2,380 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

As mid-afternoon approaches on nice, sunny day, the group of you see the walls of a small fort before you, presumably this is Oleg's Trading Post, from which the Lord Mayor recommended you start your exploration of the Stolen Lands.

The group has been gathered and granted a charter (you each have a copy), stating the following,

Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area no further than 36 miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg's Trading Post. The carrier of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior that is encountered. Punishment for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So Witnessed on this 24th day of Talistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority granted by Lord Aoleski Surtova, current regent of the Dragonscale Throne.

As the group draws closer to the gate, you are seen by a woman, who leaves off what she was doing and comes forward to welcome you.

"Welcome to Oleg's Trading Post, please have a seat," she gestures towards a set of tables with a pitcher and some cups, " let me get you something to eat." "Oleg," she says in a much louder voice, we have visitors."

You see a middle-aged man climbing down from the roof of a nearby building, from the tools, you'd guess some repairs were underway.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," he states, "whaddya want?"

OOC: You may or may not know something about Oleg or the stolen lands in general, feel free to make relevant sense motives, knowledges if you desire.


Male Human Paladin 1

"Good afternoon," says Sir Eamon, "And may the Stag god bless all here. I am Eamon of the Rose and these are my companions. We are the Corps of Exploration, sent here by the Swordlords."

"We would be glad of a hot meal and warm beds if you have them, and we would be honored if you would join us and tell us what you know of the Greenbelt."

[OOC: detect evil as Eamon looks about the room. Is anyone else in the trading post?]


Male Human Cleric 1

Royston seems comfortable on the trail, enjoying the chance to walk out in the fresh air. He's eager to hear about any distant lands the others have traveled to, and in exchange will tell them all he knows about the Rostlands.

Once the trading post is in sight, Royston starts to rummage inside his pack looking for the charter. When the group introduces itself to Oleg and his wife, he steps forward.

"Here is a copy of our charter, to set your mind at ease that all is in order. My name is Royston Hawkes, and may Desna guide many more travelers to this place once the bandits in this region are dealt with."

Perception to see the nature of the repairs 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Sense Motive for information 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Knowledge(local) for information1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Having caught up with his companions, Rory dismounted.
"The name's Rory", he said curtly. He gave Oleg and his wife a long hard look, as if examining them.
Checks to evaluate their health condition:
Perception:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Heal:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


Human Musketeer 1

Vell met, dear lady. My name is Gunther of the Danthermann family, and I hav been issued with chart as vell. And your name is?
Then to Oleg, still in a thick accent:
Nice to make your acquaitance, Mister Oleg. Your outpost vill definitely make for fine base of operation if it pleases you. I hav travelled to many regions, but the Stolen Lands are not one of them. Vat can you tell us about dis place?


Male Human Wizard 2

Halloran will nod politely to Oleg and his wife, but not say anything right now. From where he's standing he will try to assess the layout of the fort and it's general condition.

Knowledge: Architecture 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23


Knowledge: Architecture 1d20+8

Picture of fort

hopefully that works, Oleg's is laid out in an organized manner, surrounded by a solid palisade, there's one 30 foot wide gate that you entered, 4 buildings around a central square. You also note, 20 foot watchtowers are each corner of the fort with what look like a catapult, the nearest appears run down and nonworking.

Royston:

Perception to see the nature of the repairs 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Something to do with roofs, hammers, and tiles. :)

Sense Motive for information 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

You notice that the wife, Svetlana seems happy and almost relieved that the group of you has arrived, especially when you mention taking care of bandits. Oleg seems just a tad more antisocial.

Knowledge(local) for information1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
You know this is Oleg's Trading Post :)

You see no one else at the post currently, neither Oleg or his wife is evil (Sir Eamon.)

Rory:
Both Oleg and Svetlana appear healthy, Svetlana seems happy and almost relieved that the group of you has arrived, especially when Royston mentions taking care of bandits. Oleg seems just a tad more antisocial.

Svetlana addresses the various greetings, "Well, we haven't gone too far from the post with the problems lately, but that's why you are here."


Male Human Paladin 1

"We are going to stop these bandits, Ma'am," says Eamon with an easy smile. "You have my word on that. Why don't you tell us about the problems?"

Sir Eamon tries to get their hostess talking and set their host at ease.

Diplomacy:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22


Svetlana explains how three months ago that they were visited by a group of a dozen bandits led by an especially cruel woman, and a cloaked man with a bow. They demanded all the furs and goods the trappers and hunters have brought. They have come twice more, although it has been just the cloaked man and 5 others, within an hour of sunrise.


Male Human Wizard 2

Do you know when there due to come here, again? Halloran asks.


Tomorrow morning.


Rory winces slightly, and mutters under his breath as if to himself, but loud enough that he can be heard:
Tomorrow? A terribly... convenient coincidence, is it not?
Well, I guess we'll have to do our best to protect you in order to stay alive ourselves.


Male Human Wizard 2

What do they usually do, when they come here? Do they spend time here?
or do they take their plunder an go? Do they go into the buildings to collect? or do you bring it out to them?


"Where do they go when they leave? Do they have a base nearby?"

[OOC: Do we have a map?]


Male Human Cleric 1

Royston starts to look around at the trading post to see how easy it will be to stage an ambush while his traveling companions start to bombard the couple with questions. A few questions come to mind, but then others ask them. So he goes back to examining the fort while he waits to hear the replies.

Perception 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Human Musketeer 1

Then ve don't have time to lose! I believe dat the bandits will cease und desist once they see dat Oleg and his vife are not alone, but with vell armed people, but ve should organize a defense nonetheless. Gunther starts examining the fort too. These towers... Somebody should vait in there and be ready to strike, while the others can meet the outlavs at the gates.


Rory starts to rummage through his backpack, and then speaks in a satisfied tone:
"I'd take a tower, if you don't mind. If you have goat dung available somewhere, I will have some nasty surprises for them by tomorrow. Sheep dung will do, too. Is there a fireplace I could borrow for an hour or so?"


Male Human Wizard 2

It might be better to lure them in here and capture them, if we can. I can cast a sleep spell on a group of them, so long as they aren't overly strong-willed I could take out 4 of them easily.


Male Half-Orc Verdant Sorcerer (1)

Svetlana answers, They arrive within an hour of sunrise, and collect the goods we have brought into the main square here, we think their camp must be about a days journey as they are in a rush to leave. There is an old firepit by the outhouses, you can use. We thought perhaps you can hide in the stables and the guesthouse (either side of the gate) and surprise them after they ride in.

She continues, I know that this is dangerous, and we would give you a reward for helping us . (Oleg appears to not like this last bit, but does not contradict his wife)

OOC: I did put a url link above that shows the layout of the fort.
Royston, you are apperently counting how many logs make up the fence :)


Male Human Paladin 1

"And when they come in, are they mounted? Do they enter the walls or do you bring the bribes to them outside?"

I meant a map of the Greenbelt.


Human Musketeer 1
Eamon, Knight of the Rose wrote:
I meant a map of the Greenbelt.

That's kinda what we have to do ourselves. The Stolen Lands are uncharted, and we have to explore and drawn our own map mile by mile, and every mile means potential danger like bandits, casual encounters...

Punish an injustice is its own revard, Svetlana. But I'd rather meet them face to face und try to scare them away. If dat fails, then ve can react vith appropriate force.


Male Human Wizard 2

We might scare away a small party for now Gunther, but more than likely they'll be back with the rest of their band, and then we'll have no choice but to use force, when were outnumbered and their trying to burn the fort down around our ears. Better to try and capture this band, and get the location of their camp from them, then we can attack the rest of them while we have the element of surprise.

Halloran surveys the fort again, If we put the tribute on that table there,Halloran says pointing to the one closest to the stables, you lot can hide in the stables, Oleg can lure them in since they'll be expecting him and nobody else, which will give all of you a clear shot with ranged weapons.

I'll hide in that tower there,Halloran says pointing at the one between the stables and the store, and as soon as they're all in and Oleg is clear, I'll cast sleep on them, which should drop at least half of them, which will be your signal to move in and capture or attack anyone left standing. Make sure your at least 10ft. away from them when they come in the fort.Halloran finishes speaking to Oleg.

At least that's what I think would be a good plan,he says with a shrug. If any of you have a better one, I'm willing to listen.


Male Human Paladin 1

"So long as they have a chance to surrender before being harmed, Sir Eamon says, "I agree. No one should shoot until those still awake are given that chance."


Male Human Wizard 2

I don't have a problem with that, Halloran says. Looking at the others he silently asks, How bout you? with a raised eyebrow.


Male Human Paladin 1

"So far as we know," Sir Eamon says, "these are simple robbers. Some of them might be desperately poor or maybe just in over their heads. If we give them a chance to surrender, we might save lives. If they refuse quarter, we'll have them surrounded and can cut them down. It doesn't place us in any further risk."


Rory pulls out a thick and unkempt book clad in leather; this is his recipe book. He lists through quickly with a frown.
"When I was sent to fight off bandits, I was preparing to actually fight, not exchange pleasantries. Yours is a nice plan, sir Eamon, except I don't believe I can contribute much to it. If we end up in disagreement with these folk, though, I promise I'll do what I can to keep them alive.
I can either take up a tower opposite to Halloran's, or hide in ambush under the wagon here."


Male Human Wizard 2

I wouldn't worry Rory, I'm sure you'll have plenty of opportunity to fight in the future. I'd suggest the tower myself, that will put you out of the line of fire and make them better targets.


Male Human Paladin 1

"The plan is all Halloran's," says Eamon. "And I fully expect these bandits to force us to fight."

"I think I should be on the ground, in case a fight does start. Perhaps behind the wagon if Rory will take the tower."


"Alright, tower it is, then. You can count on me taking out one of the scoundrels, maybe two if luck favors me."


Human Musketeer 1

I'll lead them inside the fort and try to persuade them to go away, then says Gunther I'll be in da middle, just beside the vagon. I still thinks there is no need to resort to violence, but vill there be, I put my life into your hands, gentlemen".

Gunther then starts checking his musket for any sign of bad maintenance. If he really has to shoot someone tomorrow, he needs to make sure that the weapon is to be thrusted.


Male Human Wizard 2

No Gunther, Oleg has to be the one to lead them in. If they see someone they weren't expecting, they'll be suspicious and on their guard. They might even start looking around to see if anyone else is here, which could ruin the whole plan. We want everything to look normal, so they won't be expecting trouble.


Male Human Cleric 1

Royston listens to everyone discuss the plan as he finishes counting the number of logs in the fence. He comes to the conclusion that it is a lot.

"The plan sounds good, so far. We should give them a chance to surrender, but we don't have to do it before combat. If we can take them alive in ambush, we could offer them a chance to leave this life of crime and tell us where there base camp in exchange for mercy. If they don't, then we execute them. A few bandits hanging from the walls of this fort will discourage others in the future."

The cleric walks over to the wagon everyone seems to be planning to use for cover. He climbs into the back and crouches down, then lays down flat.

"I can be in hiding here, perhaps under a burlap cover, before the ambush. Once combat is joined, I can stand up and cast spells to keep us alive. However, I won't be able to reach the people in the towers with my healing magic without either them or me moving. Even worse, this place is big enough to prevent even my largest beneficial spells to turn the tide of battle from affecting people in opposite towers."

He looks around the fort again.

"I could hide behind the stables and then come out. That would allow me to remain back far enough for my magics to reach most everyone, except someone in a distant tower. Also, you might want to check the lines of sight here. These tower walls are tall, but the other buildings will prevent you from being able to attack a good portion of the inner courtyard without taking the time to move along the walls toward the middle line."

Channel positive energy has a 30 foot radius and my Bless spell has a 50-foot burst, both centered on me. Most everyone seems to be around the wagon, so we just need to make sure those on the walls around the fort are within my areas of effect so they can receive buffs and healing. Also, I can exclude two people from my healing (bandits, obviously), so try to attack only one or two at a time so I don't end up healing a bad guy who was just winged and then ignored.


Male Human Wizard 2

We can decide how we deal with the bandits, once they've been captured. I favor having Royston behind the stables, that way we have the advantage of surprise and no one will be in immediate danger. If I can take the bandits down with my sleep spell, we can capture them quickly and with little blood shed. And if something goes wrong, we've got Rory on the tower and the others in the stables to deal with them. Once we're in a position of strength they'll be much more likely to cooperate with us.


Male Human Paladin 1

Eamon turns to Oleg and Svetlana. "This is your trading post. Have we your permission to confront these bandits here?"

Assuming a positive response, he continues. "We have time before they arrive. Please, tell us what else has been happening in the Greenbelt of late."


Human Musketeer 1

So instead than me, ve should use Oleg, the ovner of this very place, as a bait for an ambush? Und putting his life at risk instead of ours? Wat happens if they take him hostage? I'd rather volounteer to lead them inside alone und unarmed, if necessary.


Male Human Wizard 2

Why would they take him hostage? They've been here 3 times before and they haven't hurt him and they won't be expecting anything different this time. You'll have me in one tower to cast spells on them, Rory in another tower to throw bombs at them, at least two of you in the stables covering them with ranged weapons and a cleric with healing spells standing by in case of an emergency. All Oleg has to do is be visible when they first enter the fort, he doesn't have to fight them or anything. He'll probably be the safest person there. The best use of your talents is employing your musket, rather than making yourself a target.

Your courage does you credit Gunther, but the plan is set, let's proceed. If everything goes right tomorrow, we'll capture the bandits without anyone getting hurt, including them. Now,I assume we're going to set up a watch schedule, since I need 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep in order to study my spells, I volunteer for 3rd watch.


Rory shakes his head.
"It must be at least 40 feet from the tower to the main square, plus the tower itself is at least 20 feet high. I'm afraid bombs will do more harm than good at such distance. Everyone who's in melee could get hurt, the sleeping bandits could wake up from the burns, and if there is wind, the fort could even catch fire. Fortunately, I have other tools at my disposal. Learned how to handle myself at the fields of war, I did."
Rory proudly displays his sling staff, and suddenly spins it so fast that it turns into a semi-transparent circle. A strange, moaning sound fills the air.
"As I was saying, I'll make sure that at least two heads meet with the bullets from this.", he finishes confidently. "But first, I'll let you guys have your chance at persuasion."


Male Human Cleric 1

"If you need to, you could just hide on top of one of the buildings so you can be close enough to attack, Rory. And Oleg, good sir, you should just act normal but don't stand too close to the bandits, just in case."


Oleg nods in agreement and outlines his actions. (basically he will stand near the his house as normal. as soon as a party member challenges the bandits or starts casting a spell, etc, he will go inside and bar the door.)

He shows you into the building to the east of the gate, which is made up like a bunkhouse, there are some curtains between beds for minimal privacy.


There are also some posters which you should look at later, but all to soon, Oleg is bursting in the door saying that the bandits will be here very soon.

OOC: please describe where you are, and if you will act during the suprise round, and if so what you will be doing.

If you are outside of the buildings, please roll stealth, although you can take 10, and even assist each other.


Male Human Cleric 1

Royston will be behind the stables, completely out of sight. Once he hears the sound of combat begin in the surprise round, he'll advance close enough for his healing burst to affect everyone. If that's too far of a distance, he'll get as close as he can and then move up more during the first round.

Stealth 10 + 1 - 4= 7


Male Human Wizard 2

Halloran will be in the tower by the outhouses, he'll take 10 on a stealth check which should give him a 12. He plans to cast a sleep spell on the bandits during the surprise round, preferably when they're inside the fort and have drawn even with the table all the loot is piled on. He will center it either on the bandit with the bow or the middle of the group whichever will get the most people.

Sleep spell: Area of Effect 10ft., Spellcasting Range 110ft., Will save of 15 to avoid falling asleep, affects up to 4HD creatures, strongest first.


Halloran Westover wrote:

Sleep spell: Area of Effect 10ft., Spellcasting Range 110ft., Will save of 15 to avoid falling asleep, affects up to 4HD creatures, strongest first.

As the first glimpse of the sun comes over the eastern horizon, you hear the sound of hoofbeats, as a group of six rough-looking men, come riding up. All of them get off their horses, as three (the youngest looking, presumably newest members) start putting furs and other goods in packs on two saddle bags. Two others start walking towards the table that has some food upon it, while the last, (man with the bow, described as second in command) strolls towards Oleg, "Where's your pretty little wife?"

As Oleg hears some quiet chanting, he quickly turns and bolts the door behind him without answering.

Will Saves
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (16) - 1 = 15

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8

Packhorse :)
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

So two of the bandits loading supplies slump to the dirt, the third starts to also, but just blinks hard and starts to draw his weapon. One of the pack horses lays out for a snooze also.
OOC: please roll initiative, the bandits are completely surprised and will act after everyone above a 10 the first round.


Male Human Cleric 1

Surprise Round AC 16, touch 11, flat-footed 15, HP 10, Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +6

Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Royston hears his fellow explorer's chanting and starts to walk from behind the building, getting as close to his fellows as he can without standing hear the bandits.


Ok I'm a little confused. I'm not sure where the outhouses are, and the non-sleeping bandits. I assume that Rory was running all the way up the bottom right tower as the bandits came, and the bandits are somewhere near the center of the fort. Stealth Take10 = 10 + 3 Dex + 4 Size = 17.
Surprise round action - consume True Strike extract.
Initiative:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
First round action - fire a pellet into the insomniac bandit :)
Attack:1d20 + 24 ⇒ (1) + 24 = 25
Damage:1d6 ⇒ 1

Edit: I hope I've used up my share of bad rolls for this combat


Human Musketeer 1

Gunther, that was hiding next to the wagon, jumps out of cover, aiming his musket at the awake bandit. Drop your veapons and you may live another day he says. Diplomacy 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26 If he doesn't surrender, in my following turn I will shoot him by issuing a challenge (+1 attack roll). 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 171d12 ⇒ 10
Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Sorry, I 'd like to retake my actions: Surprise round - consume dexterity mutagen, Dex becomes 20, Wis becomes 10, +2 natural AC. First round (when the bandits respond) - true strike extract. If the fight breaks out, then I shoot using my previous rolls in the 2nd round.


Male Human Wizard 2

Initiative1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22

I'll act next round.


Male Human Paladin 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Sir Eamon draws his bow and speaks loudly. "By order of the Sword Lords of Restov, lay down your weapons! Do not resist or you will be killed!"

Ready an action to shoot the first brigand to do anything hostile.


Male Human Wizard 2

On his turn Halloran will cast Mage Armor on himself.

1 to 50 of 2,380 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Solos Kingmaker Group 1 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.