Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

A Rise With A Difference

Game Master Dabbler


2,351 to 2,400 of 3,877 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>

Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Gornak suddenly smacks his head in astonishment. "Holy crow! In all of the excitement, I almost forgot: has anyone seen any signs of Master Quar? For some reason I thought we might find him here. Or what's left of him...<gulp>"


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

"I guess Shallelu could take the runewell notes to Father Zantus."

Shallelu, do you know anything about barghests?" Aylmora asks the elf ranger.


Expert 3/Slacker 4/Layabout 2
Aylmora Mvashti wrote:

"I guess Shallelu could take the runewell notes to Father Zantus."

Shallelu, do you know anything about barghests?" Aylmora asks the elf ranger.

Vaclav nods agreement. "That would protect the notes whether or not we succeed and we'll be able to search for this fiend sooner."

Gornak wrote:

Bar guests? Rune wells? Where are these things?" Gornak is having a hard time following the conversation. "Well, wherever they are, I'm sure we can lick 'em. We might want to rest a bit first, though."

Gornak suddenly smacks his head in astonishment. "Holy crow! In all of the excitement, I almost forgot: has anyone seen any signs of Master Quar? For some reason I thought we might find him here. Or what's left of him...<gulp>"

Vaclav explains, "The runewell is the fountain that the monsters came out of when we fought the imp. The barghest is a devil like the imp, but larger and stronger and smarter. They're in many books about devils, but I can't recall anymore than that. I never had an interest in outsiders. Never thought I meet one face to face."


Shellalu opens her mouth to speak, but Vaclav beats her too it.

"All I know about barghests is that they are related to goblins in some way. How I do not know."


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Gornak suggests:
(a) getting a rest,
(b) finishing checking out Thistletop (including the room we backed out of), and
(c) going off to look for this barghest

In that order. Any objections?


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Works for me!


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

Is the barghest here at Thistletop, or is it somewhere else? I'm Confused. 6_9

Thanadros agrees"Sounds like a good idea. Lets start off with the room across from where the wizard and the fallen angel lady were held up in."


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1
Thanadros wrote:
Is the barghest here at Thistletop, or is it somewhere else? I'm Confused. 6_9

The journal just says "in a tiny room". I propose we look in Thistletop first, then check back in the catacombs under the glassworks second, then consult a sage or something third. Maybe that mercenary dude or one of the goblins knows something about it.


It is morning, and you have already rested.

First stop, the room you backed out of?


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Yup, sounds good.

Gornak empowers his hammer with metaphysical power, finding it even easier than before. He also effortlessly adds a lesser amount of power to Thanadros's and Vaclav's weapons, as well as his own garbage hook.

On hammer: Metaphysical Weapon augmented to 5 pp. Duration: 6 hours. +2 enhancement bonus

On the other weapons: Metaphysical Weapon, manifested by expending his psionic focus. Duration: 5 minutes. +1 enhancement bonus

Then he leads the way back to the ominous room.


Marching order and perception checks from people please :D


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Gornak takes the lead!

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

How about Gornak followed by Thanadros (or Vaclav) followed by Aylmora followed by Vaclav (or Thanadros)?

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (11) + 12 = 23

Aylmora advances with the group, crossbow loaded and ready to fire.

Before we get too far along, do we want to divvy up the gear we recovered from Nualia and Lyrie?


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Put Thanadros #2. I'm not worried about ambush from behind and we could use the extra firepower up front.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Vaclav walks at the rear of the group. When we get to the room, and are just ready to go in, it's guidance all around.


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

#2 is fine by me. Thanadros would use Precognition, Offensive for a +2 to hit and 4 power points and Prescience, Offensive for +2 damge and 1 power point. Both last for 4 minutes. Between Gornacks buff and Thanadros's buffs on himself, that is a +2 to hit and a +3 to damage. (Sorry, My powers are personal only ;P)

Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Thanadros has his bow ready to strike.

Also, Thanadros can now use Empathic Transfer, which might help Vaclave with the healing, or at least make more use out of his channel energies.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6
Aylmora Mvashti wrote:

...

Before we get too far along, do we want to divvy up the gear we recovered from Nualia and Lyrie?

Loot!Loot!Loot! discussion:
"RuneMaster" wrote:

From Nuallia you have a +1 bastard sword, +1 breastplate, masterwork (strength +1) composite longbow, and the medallion has mild abjuration, divination and necromantic magic in effect on it: it grants +1 to all saves, and grants the user the effect of false life as a swift action once per day.

From Lyrie, a wand of magic missile (CL 1st, 38 charges), potion of cure light wounds, scroll of sleep, scroll of comprehend languages, scroll of minor image, scroll of see invisibility, scroll of whispering wind; cloak of resistance +, silver comb (25 gp), fine silk gown (60 gp), everburning torch.

Vaclav views N's gear as tainted. He doesn't covet any of it. Although with a blessing to take the taint off....

That breastplate looks like the best item, and immediately useful. Who can use it?

Thanadros and Vaclav already have bows equivalent or better. I don't think anyone is a b-sword user.

The medallion is intriguing. "It has an aura of protective foresight and death warding." I suggest Gornak as the recipient. Anything to get his will save up. The possiblity of a caster turning him on us is terrifying. And with Albrecht's departure, he's the PC most likely to need extra HP now.

Lyrie's gear is mostly no use to Vaclav. I suggest someone else take the potion of cure light wounds. The cloak of resistance could be useful to any of us. If he doesn't want the medallion, this is a good candidate for Gornak. Can anyone use the scrolls?


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Gornak will take the necklace, then.


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Aylmora has UMD as a trained skill, so she could possibly use the wand of magic missile and the scrolls. She'll hold onto them for now, but the party may wish to sell some or all of them when we get back to Sandpoint.


The door swings open again, and you see the cavern ahead of you and curtain of vegetation through which daylight filters up ahead. Gornak advances, weapon ready, with Thanadros behind him. A slight movement catches the former shoanti's eye, and at the same time Aylmora spots an object out of place on the ceiling that Gornak is just walking directly underneath: It looks like a tangle of roots or tentacles in the ceiling, with a squat, leathery cylindrical body hanging down. Two other tentacles whip out...

Initiative from everybody, if Aylmora or Thanadros beat the tentamort, they can act before it does, otherwise they and everyone else are flat-footed.

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13

The tentamort lashes out with two tentacles at Gornak, one is tipped with a bitter sting.

Attack (tentacle): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5

The tentacle is blocked by Gornak's armour.

Attack (sting): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 Plus Fort save DC13 or take 1d6 ⇒ 3 Con damage.

Attack (sting) Threat confirm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15 Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 Aw, only 5 damage and poison, then!

The sting darts between the joint of Gornak's helmet and his breastplate and stabs deep...


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

"What is that thing?" Aylmora cries as she points at the creature, unleashing a powerful ray of freezing cold at the creature.

Standard action to fire Energy Ray (Cold; manifester level 4) augmented by Wild Surge +2 at the creature.
Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
15% Chance Psychic Enervation (1-15): 1d100 ⇒ 39
Damage: 6d6 + 6 ⇒ (1, 5, 6, 4, 1, 3) + 6 = 26

Power Points used today: 4/25


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 Sweet!

Don't forget the guidance, +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check.

"I don't know."

Vaclav shrugs the bow off his shoulder, nocks an arrow and looses at the ceiling.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10 (point blank and guidance included) ... damage 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3 *sigh*


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

init: 1d20 ⇒ 1

"Bwuh? What the hey?"

Fort save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

"Watch out for that stinger -- I think it pumped me full o' something!"

If and when he gets to act, he swings his hammer at it.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (12) + 11 = 233d6 + 13 ⇒ (2, 1, 4) + 13 = 20


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

Surprise Round Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
pp 10
Status Focused
____________________________________________________________________

"Gornak, watch out!" Thanadros says as she lets loose a volley of arrows at the strange thing.

*+1 Composite Longbow(+2) 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29 (1d8 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 20/x3) (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Psionic Shot, Precognition, Prescience, Guidance)
*+1 Composite Longbow(+2) 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20 (1d8 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 20/x3) (Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Psionic Shot, Precognition, Prescience)

Thanadros can use both the bastard sword and the breastplate. He is more ranged based though so if anyone else can better use the feel free.


Aylmora and Thanadros hammer the thing before it can strike. It still lashes out, but it's a death-spasm. Gornak spins and smashes it from the roof. It strikes the ground, completely dead, tentacles twitching.


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

Thanadros points to the slain beast with the tip of his bow. "That's not the barghest. Correct?"

Thanadros searches the rest of the room.
Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Gornak squints at it. "Doesn't look much like a big goblin to me..."


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"The descriptions I've read are vague and sometimes disagree, but none mention tentacles or the ability to stick to ceilings. And given their reputation I don't think a barghest would be so easily defeated. We should assume it's somewhere else down here."


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

"Thought so..." Thanadros says as he begins searching the area.


A search of the chambers divulges a lot of dead seagulls, and a few dead goblins. One still retains a suit of hide armour that has weathered the passage of time well. A brief check reveals it is +1 hide armour, and with it are a masterwork shortbow and masterwork horsechopper. There are no other creatures in here.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Yay! Detect magic!

Vaclav examines the goods. Odd. These are much finer than normal goblin-make. This must have been a great warrior among the goblins here. Perhaps they sent him alone to fight the beast. Or maybe none of them except him cared that a predator lurked so close to home. ...

"We might do best to turn these over to Gob. Perhaps he could use them to buy loyalty among his new tribe."


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Is the stuff human-sized or goblin-sized?


Goblin sized of course.


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

Darn

"To the room in the basement then?"


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

"Sounds good to me. Let's find that barghest."


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

"Sounds good to me!" Gornak rubs the sore spot on his neck with one hand and hoists his hammer over his shoulder with his other hand.


You return to the passageway bellow without incident; the trap is still disabled and the door to the northern chamber hangs open. The door opposite is closed still.


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

Aylmora carefully examines the closed door, searching for traps.

Take 20 on Perception for total check of 32.


There are no traps that Aylmora can find. The door opens to a short, ten foot stretch of passageway. The door at the end is also untrapped, and opens to an empty L-shaped room.

Updated Map

The southern wing of this L-shaped hallway ends at a pair of stone doors carved with the depictions of two skeletons reaching out to clutch a skull between them, while to the east the hallway narrows down to frame a circular carving of what seems to be an immense stack of gold coins that rises from fl oor to ceiling. The edges of these coins are carved with tiny, spiky runes.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

"What's this? Some tribute to Mammon? If so there's probably some trap or ward against thieves."


Elan PW6 || hp 44 | AC 19 | T 14 | FF 15 | CMD 21 | F +7 | R +7 | W +6 | Init +6 | Per +13 | pp 16 || A 40/40 | BA 20/20 | Focused

"Whatever it is, it can wait. Let us find this Bargest."

Thanadros listens at the southern door and searches for traps.

Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

If there are noises or traps, Thanadros advises the others. Otherwise he ushers Hogarth over, does a stabbing motion with his bow, and opens the door.


Female Human (Varisian) Wilder 6 {HP 53/53; AC 20, T 15, FF 15; F+6 R+5 W+8; Init+3 Perc+14} {Effects: Psionic Focus}

While Thanadros checks the southern door for traps, Aylmora performs a similar examination of the circular carving of gold coins.

Perception check: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30


Vaclav:
Knowledge (religion) (taking ten): You would expect a tribute to Mammon to bear his name or (un)holy symbol, and this stack of gold has neither. The spiky runes are reminiscent of some of the writings and inscriptions you saw in the tunnels under Sandpoint.

Thanadros:
There are no traps you can locate. The area around the door looks swept clean as if recently cleared, and the doors have been recently opened.

Aylmora:
Examining the stack of gold coins reveals two points. Firstly, that the gold is some kind of trick: the stack feels like carved stone, not metal. Secondly, there are two coins 'missing' from the stack, in different positions. A standard gold piece would fit in the tiny slots where they are not.

Gornak and Thanadros open the doors surrounded by the skull and bones motif.

Updated Map

Four pillars support the domed ceiling of this room. Several alcoves containing standing sarcophaguses grace the walls, and a statue of a stern man wielding a glaive and holding a book stands at the far end of the chamber.


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

"Whoever these people were, they sure liked glaives. Not my weapon of choice, but to each his own."

Gornak takes a look at the first sarcophagus.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26


The sarcophagus is plain and adorned only with a few of the spiky runes. As Gornak examines it the shadows in the gloom around him shift and ripple unnaturally.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Vaclav frowns at the pile of coins. "On second thought, Mammon's name isn't inscribed, nor is his symbol present. I have no idea what this is."


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

"Um...guys...there's something funny going on around here," Gornak says nervously as he backs away from the rippling shadows.


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Vaclav spins on his heel. "What's that, Gornak?!"

Peering about the sarcophagi, the cleric spins on his heel and moves toward the half-giant.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Know (religion) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23

I think I know what it is, but does Vaclav?


The shadows moves reach toward Gornak, it takes no perception check to see them for what they are now.

I am guessing Gornak is in K-7, Thanadros in I-9, Vaclav in J-12, and Aylmora examining the column of coins in M-13. Shadows are in I-7, I-3, K-5.

Tactical Map

Shadows' Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Male Half-giant Psychic warrior 5/Aegis (trailblazer) 1

Init: 1d20 ⇒ 11


Male Human of Varisian and Chelaxian descent Cleric of Erastil 6

Init 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Do I win any knowledge about these things? Like specifics on how to hurt them aside from channeling?

Reroll if necessary:
Know (religion)1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

"GOrnak, get out of there!"

2,351 to 2,400 of 3,877 << first < prev | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Rise With A Difference All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.