Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Society


Starfinder


Starfinder Society

A Fistful of Coppers: Treasure of the Phandelver Mine

Game Master Loup Blanc

A Western take on classic fantasy.


1 to 50 of 442 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

The station platform of Winter Junction is a wooden construction, solid enough and just off the ground. Long planks hammered into more of the same, raised up to keep travelers out of the mud on the rare rainy day, and a bit out of the dust on the more common dry ones. The rest of the town--if it can be called that--can be seen from the platform, about a dozen buildings in all. The most prominent are the station itself, which also serves as the postal office and jail, essentially housing all the government authorities present in the settlement; and the general store, which is itself little bigger than the few houses.

Winter Junction isn't meant to be a booming residential town, tough. The whole purpose is in its name. Winter Junction is simply a stopping off point for the rails headed in and out of Neverwinter, a day's horse ride Back East, about half a day by train from the city. Cargo is shipped here to be picked up by carriage or rider, and goods stop here to be inspected, when necessary, on their way in.

Of course, our story is concerned with folks heading away from the city. Folks going Out West, to the Frontier.

At present, there's one man and one wagon at the Winter Junction station platform. The wagon is heavily laden with basic goods: flour, salted pork, beer, shovels, picks, crowbars, lanterns, oil, and so on, perhaps a hundred dollars of the type of equipment needed for digging. The man is one Anders Hornby, the deputy stationmaster of Winter Junction. He's old and bent and thin, and wears simple clothing with a government cap on as he waits.

His waiting is almost over, as five figures simultaneously step onto the platform and approach the wagon. They've come from different walks of life, different places and pasts, but they're here for the same reason, now. They're westward bound, headed for Phandalin.


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Stepping off of the train, Drake's hand rests on the grip of his revolver while he makes his way through the small crowds of people switching trains and gathering their belongings. His attire is plain, a simple gray shirt over a tattered, weather-beaten red poncho, along with a pair of black pants and heavy boots. On his head he wears a wide-brimmed black hat, and tied about his neck is a small, silver medallion. His belt holds the holster for his revolver as well as other accouterments, along with what could only be a dragon's fang. Dusting off his shirt with a gloved hand, he errs away from the station when he notices the sign for Neverwinter's Deputies hanging from a beam. Still, his hand rests on the revolver; all solid wood and weathered metal, the weapon has clearly been around a long time.

"Still afraid, are you? They found the others, but they've never found you..." a voice says, creeping inside his head. The voice is raspy, like the sound of a knife dragging along a bone, as it taunts him. "I can feel your fear; the hair rising on the back of your neck, your spine tensing... do they burn?" the voice asks, as Drake pulls the collar of his shirt away from his body. His hand brushes against his neck for a moment before the shirt settles again; his fingers trace what can only be a bullet wound. "Let their screams serve as a reminder, 'Wendigo'; you have a debt to repay."

"Are you Anders?" Drake asks, his voice gruffer than he intends. "My name's Drake; I signed on to head to Phandalin."


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

A man in a heavy, brown, leather duster walks onto the platform. He has tanned-brown skin, dark eyes, hair that's still mostly black but a touch too long to be decent, and about a week's worth of patchy beard on his face. He absently scratches his neck and then puts on his wide-brimmed hat with the white owlbear feather in it.

He hefts a backpack and a seasoned rifle onto his shoulder and walks toward the two men. He catches the younger man's introduction and tacks on his own.

"Howdy. Name's Dom. I'm here for the job, too. Heard you were looking for a crew."


HP:19/20 | AC:14 | Str +3 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +2 Honor 10 | Init +2 | Per +2 Passive 12 | Unarmed +4 1d4+2 Shortsword +4 1d6+2 Dart +4 1d4+2 10/10 Shortbow 1d6+2 20/20 Ki:2/2

A slender, fresh faced youth steps off of the train, heavy pack casually settled on one shoulder. Any observer might make the mistake and take him for a girl, but the worn leather on the hilt of the sword on his hip might make them pause.

Clothed in simple pantaloon and a fine cotton shirt, greyed from many washings, the youth looked out from under a wide brimmed hat , squinting in the harsh glare of the sun and the dust spinning about in the breeze.

With a loose and confident gait, he strides across the platform, making for the man with the wagon.

There is no pause in his stride when he sees two already making thier introductions.

"Greetings and well met." the youth says formally, giving the wagonner and others a quick bow. "I am Simon, also signed on to Phandalin. I can fight and make maps, if either suits you." he says, his voice high and light.


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

A tall man that can only be described as rugged leans against one wall of the station. His hair is coarse and nearly black, falling down over his neck, untrimmed and a bit wild. Hard grey eyes flick around like a hawk, or a cornered animal, and he spits off to one side before moving toward the carriage. A short, scruffy beard graces his chin, and a scar emerges from the beard, going straight up his left cheek and too his eye. His nose is slightly crooked, like it was broken more than once.

A thick, black leather duster swirls around him, over a blood red shirt and a matching pair of black leather pants. The silver stirrups on his dark riding boots click against the wooden floor as he shifts in place, revealing a golden sheriff's badge attached to his belt. One point is slightly bent and a small chip has been taken out of one side, but it's also well polished and cared for. The other hip holds a very large looking knife. A well-used and well-cared for rifle is slung over his shoulder, the strap covered with brass bullets. He pulls his black hat down over his eyes to keep the sun off his face as he examines the others gathered around him.

"Jedidiah," he says, his voice a little hoarse. "Call me Jed. It's easier to say. I'm with the crew to Phandalin as well."


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Drake, though he does his best to look inconspicuous, shies away from the newcomer with the badge at his belt. "You seem to have a talent for attracting lawmen, don't you?" the voice asks, laughing quietly. "Do you suppose he's here about the bounty? Maybe you ought to kill him, just to make sure... leave him for the vultures. I don't want him; he looks like he'd taste of cured leather." Drake scowls, before examining the others, finally locking eyes with the newest of them.

"How many did you hire for this job, anyway? Should we get moving, or are we waiting for any other hires?" Drake keeps his voice level, and as he speaks his eyes leave the other man's so he can speak to the man who hired him.


"Anders I am, yessir, just waiting for the others..." The man's voice is high and thin, and he looks around as the four gather on the platform. As they make their introductions, he nods to each, giving a somewhat foolish smile. "Well, it ain't me's looking for the crew, and no use to me knowing what you can and can't. That's all the Rockseeker fella. He's your hire, I'm just here to watch the wagon 'til you showed up."

A moment after Drake speaks a second time, Anders nods and waves you toward the wagon. "Well, I guess they're come who's comin'. Dwarf said there'd be five but four'll work just as well. This is the wagon, case you were wondering." He slaps the side of it and pats one of the two horses hitched to the front. "Got all the goods loaded and ready to go. You just gotta climb up there and ride on out of here. It's a couple days to Phandalin, just ride out this road til you come to the Triboar Trail, then turn down that til you see a sign for town. Got food and water for you and the horses loaded up under that sackcloth there in the back. It's all settled for and you get your pay at Barthen's Provisions in town. I got a letter from the dwarf if'n you wanna see?"


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

"Sure, pass the letter."

Dom reads it, and then passes it to another.

"I got experience driving a wagon. I can handle that while everyone else rides shotgun, so to speak."

He climbs up and takes the reins.

"Everyone good to go?"


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

"I'm ready," Drake says, giving the letter a read. He hops up into the seat opposite the driver, and pulls his hat down to shield his eyes from the sun. "I've never had much luck drivin' wagons, so I'm happy to let you take over. I'll just, uh, keep a lookout for any trouble."


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

"I can take a look once we get moving," Jed says. "We're wastin' time just standing around here and shooting the breeze. I'll ride in the back and keep an eye out. Just in case."


The letter is short and to the point, explaining what Anders has already said: Gundrenn Rockseeker rode ahead to Phandalin, accompanied by Sild Winter, his security chief. He's expecting the wagon to arrive in a few days' time, so it looks like it's time to get going.

Anders smiles and nods some more as the party gets on the wagon. "Well, looks like you folks are all set an' ready, then. Say howdy to the dwarf fella for me. And watch out for them bandits and savages, eh?" He pats the wagon a couple times and then steps back and waves you off as Dom snaps the reins and you set off.

The first day and night of travel pass by without anything of interest--a couple riders pass on the road, but otherwise it's quiet travel. You folks may or may not be much for talking, but there's plenty chance to get to know each other as much as'll be allowed.

The second day, you turn onto the Triboar Trail by midmorning, and continue traveling along at a good pace. Shortly after lunch, though, you come around a bend to a grisly and ominous scene. A pair of horses lie dead in the middle of the trail, blocking the path from anything larger than a walking man. Several black-feathered arrows are lodged in each of the carcasses, clearly the cause of death. As Dom slows the wagon and your own horses begin to prance nervously, you look around and realize that the trail has dipped low here, with small rock rises on each side, sparse brush, boulders, and the occasional tree providing more cover. Seems like a good place for an ambush...


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Dom puts his hand on his hip holster and scours for signs of ambush.

WIS (perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

If Dom spots or hears anything, he'll shout a word of warning to everyone.


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

Jed leans against the side of the wagon, his eyes half open, but constantly moving around, keeping an eye out for any sign of trouble.

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Dom and Jed look around from the wagon, not falling for the obvious trap; Drake surveys the area almost reflexively, used to ambush situations like this. Although it takes them a moment, they do see the threat: a half-dozen goblins scattered about the area, hiding behind cover on both sides of the trail. At the moment the goblins are just watching the wagon, and don't seem to have noticed that they've been spotted... at least not yet.

Dom, Jed, and Drake (since his Passive Perception is 15) each spot the goblins, and therefore can act; if you do anything other than approach the horses or sit still and make a Deception check, that'll give away your knowledge of the goblins. Siann, you can also take actions, but you don't see the goblins unless you make a DC 15 Perception check, and you'll be surprised for the first round. In terms of distance, 4 of the goblins are close enough to be in the first range increment of revolvers, and all 6 are within range of a rifle. I'll go ahead and roll initiative now since there's a good chance of things escalating.

INITIATIVE
Dom <--
Goblins
Jed
Drake
Siann

Rolls:
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Initiatives
Dom: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Drake: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Jed: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Siann: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Goblins: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

"Don't see much of a point in waiting. Look alive! We got goblins!"

I believe it's a bonus action to add proficiency bonus, correct? I'm doing that here.

Dom picks a target, draws his sidearm and fires a single shot.

Revolver vs. nearest Goblin: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Drake, his face still obscured by his hat, draws his revolver with a practiced hand. He spins the revolver twice as it leaves its holster, before he points it towards another of the goblins and fires, all in the span of a second. "I don't suppose you'd deign to eat goblin, would you?" Drake mumbles as he fires, quiet enough that the rest of the group can't hear over the roar of the gunfire. Assuming his target drops dead, Drake immediately swivels his revolver to another of the goblins on instinct, searching for another target.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Drake has the Shootist combat style, so he doesn't need to use a Bonus Action to add his proficiency bonus.


HP:19/20 | AC:14 | Str +3 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +2 Honor 10 | Init +2 | Per +2 Passive 12 | Unarmed +4 1d4+2 Shortsword +4 1d6+2 Dart +4 1d4+2 10/10 Shortbow 1d6+2 20/20 Ki:2/2

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

At Domingo's warning, Simon's head snaps up and he rolls off of the wagon and sprints up towards the nearest goblin...dropping behind a nearby rock, then flinging a dart...

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Thanks for your patience with my absence. Found that a full vacation day then getting 3 girls under 5 years to bed didn't leave me with much energy, physically or mentally to post appropriately.


No problem, Siann, I've been busy as well.

His eyes keen, his wits sharp, and his hands quick, Dom smoothly draws his revolver and fires it, still seated on the wagon's front bench. The gunshot echoes out in the silence and is quickly followed by high-pitched squealing, as well as the thud of a dead goblin hitting the ground.

The little brutes return in kind; two begin rushing the wagon, small axes and makeshift knives in hand, while the three others fire arrows from shortbows, two aimed at Dom and one at Drake beside him. Two of the black-feathered shafts thunk into the wood beside the pair, but one arrow catches Dom in the arm--not his gun-hand, thankfully, but the pain is still sharp. Dom, you take 5 damage. After the volley, the archer goblins duck back behind their cover, and it's hard to make it just where they are. (They've taken the Hide action, which means you need to make a DC 19 Perception check or have Disadvantage on attack rolls against them.)

Drake is quick to respond with a spinning draw and a keen shot, putting down one of the goblins rushing the wagon. Simon rolls off the wagon and takes cover behind a rock, but his thrown dart lands in the ground at the other goblin's feet. There's still Jed with a chance to attack, though.

Jed's up in Round 1, followed by Dom starting off Round 2. Both of you can post; others can as well if you want, although your actions could be affected by the goblins' turn.

Rolls:

Arrow 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Arrow 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Arrow 3: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage: 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Hide 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Hide 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Hide 3: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

[ooc]HP 8/13[/dice]

"Damnation, those critters got good aim."

Dom holsters his pistol, then rises to his full height atop the wagon. He hefts the rifle by his feet to bear and tries to spot the goblins.

"Show your heads, you little currs. I got a favor to return."

WIS (perception): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


Dom, do note you can still attack the goblins, you just have disadvantage on the roll. There is also one more goblin in the clear.


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

I figured switching my pistol to my rifle would consume my action. If not, I'll happily fire.


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

"Obnoxious little pests," Jed mutters as he swings his rifle over his shoulder. He scowls as the goblins duck behind the rocks, but he takes the best angle he can get and fires off a round anyway.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
Disadvantage: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Yeah, 5E's a little more lax on things like drawing/sheathing weapons and other object stuff. By the strict rules they suggest allowing one draw/sheathe to be done freely, but I don't have a problem with switching weapons for free, especially in a game like this. At most I'd say it'd be your bonus action but let's let it all go loose for now. Go ahead and roll with your aiming bonus.


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Dom's rifle cracks like thunder and blows a hole clean out the head of the little annoyance that put an arrow in him.

Firing on one of the hidden archers.

Rifle vs. Goblin archer (DIS): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24 <--
Rifle vs. Goblin archer (DIS): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

"Hah! Gotcha."


Sorry folks, I opened the tab to this game and promptly got sidetracked, just now came back to check in.

Jed fires his rifle from his spot in the wagon's back, but the goblins prove tough to get a bead on, and the shot caroms off a rock. Dom manages to pull off a miraculous shot of his own, though, and another goblin squeals and drops dead to the ground. Three goblins dead.

The goblin rushing forward turns course to leap over the rocks and slash down at Simon with its short, rusty blade. The attack is sloppy and slow, though, and Simon dodges with practiced ease. The archers, meanwhile, keep up their assault, once more aiming for those in the front of the wagon. One of them leans too far out as it attempts to shoot, and loses its footing as it fires; the arrow sails out into the plain, and the goblin is unable to get back in cover. The other goblin, however, fires at just the right angle, and the arrow arcs into Drake's stomach, drawing blood and sending pain through his gut. Drake, take 7 damage. The goblin's luck continues as it disappears into brush, almost impossible to see.

Everybody's up now. DC 25 Perception check to make out the hidden goblin, but one archer is in plain view and there's still a goblin in melee with Simon.

Rolls:
Melee: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Dom Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Drake Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24 Ouch
Damage: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (2, 3) + 2 = 7
Stealth: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

"Nice shot," Jed compliments the other man in the back of the wagon. "Alright, let's see if you can do that again." He cracks open his rifle and slides another round in to the chamber before aiming and firing at the exposed goblin.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Damage: 2d10 + 2 ⇒ (3, 3) + 2 = 8


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Drake doubles over as the arrow slams into his gut, and the voice is in his head again. "I bet that hurts, doesn't it? If you just say the word, I could deal with these little beasts... for a price." Drake shakes his head, his vision clouded by pain and the mental intrusion. He swings himself out of the wagon and lands heavily on the ground, before standing up to take aim at the goblin in the bushes. His free hand is pressed against the bleeding wound in his stomach, and after he fires he drops back behind the wagon.

"Just shut the f*ck up," Drake growls, wincing as he pulls away his blood-soaked hand. "I can handle myself."

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


Drake Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Jed's shot puts down the goblin archer in the open, while Drake fights through the pain and fires a round at the bushes. An angry, pained squeal is heard, but the scrub is still rustling, so it seems that goblin is still up.

Simon and Dom are up, with two goblins still standing.


HP:19/20 | AC:14 | Str +3 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +2 Honor 10 | Init +2 | Per +2 Passive 12 | Unarmed +4 1d4+2 Shortsword +4 1d6+2 Dart +4 1d4+2 10/10 Shortbow 1d6+2 20/20 Ki:2/2

Simon deftly avoids the goblin's clumsy attack, his own sword flashing out of its worn scabbard.

With a graceful turn, the boy coming in under the goblin's guard...

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

.. but the goblin stumbles on a rock, his torso suddenly moving, Simon's sword only piercing air where the goblin's heart once was.


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Dom loads another round and tries to make out the hidden goblin.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

"Damnation. Can't see the critter."

He decides to wait for an open shot.

Take a shot when goblin comes out of hiding:

Rifle vs. Goblin: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8; Blech!


Simon does his best to deal with the goblin before him, but it stumbles as he stabs, and their melee continues. Dom lines up a shot and tries to wait for its appearance from behind the scrub, but his aim is a little off and he misses.

The goblin attacking Simon continues its assault, slashing once more. Its slice comes while it's still off-balance, though, and the force of the swing sends it dropping to its rear, where it stares up at Simon with a blank look.
Melee Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

The archer aiming for Dom has little better luck: as it jerks in surprise at his gunfire, it snaps the string on its bow. With a shriek of anger, it grabs a knife from its belt and begins to rush the party.
Ranged: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Everybody up, and I doubt these two are gonna have another turn.


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Wow. Double crit fails. Brutal.

"Gotcha this time, varmint."

Dom unleashes another shot at the same goblin. But the wagon bucks beneath his feet as the horses get a little skittish from the noise and his rifle goes off before he can properly align.

Rifle vs. Goblin: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Damage: 1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6

Doubt that hits. 3 shots fired from rifle in total.


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

Jed clicks his next bullet in without a word and fires at the archer.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Damage: 1d10 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4


It's making up for the absurd rolls against the party in the other game. Two of them dropped on the goblins' first turn.

Dom takes another shot, but the wagon bouncing does throw off his aim enough to miss. Jed has more luck in hitting the goblin rushing down, but it's only a glancing blow to one arm, and the little creature continues its attack.

I'll bot Drake and Simon if I get to this tomorrow and they haven't posted yet, but I'll give a little more time.


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Drake, leaning heavily on the side of the wagon, leans over the top of it and fires off a shot at the charging goblin. Just as he fires, a wave of pain overtakes his and he loses his aim, and he curses under his breath.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


HP:19/20 | AC:14 | Str +3 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +2 Honor 10 | Init +2 | Per +2 Passive 12 | Unarmed +4 1d4+2 Shortsword +4 1d6+2 Dart +4 1d4+2 10/10 Shortbow 1d6+2 20/20 Ki:2/2

Grr, forgot I have an extra unarmed attack each round....

Simon looks down at the fallen goblin but does not extend any mercy to the brigand, sword flashing at it slices through the air, a spin of the hip and his foot flies towards the goblin's head....

Attack , sword: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Attack, kick: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8


Drake fires but misses, the pain throwing off his aim. Simon, meanwhile, stabs out with his sword, then twists into a kick. He's surprised for a moment when the foot doesn't connect, but looking down he sees the goblin collapsed to the ground, clutching ineffectually at its wound.

The final goblin, enraged and oblivious to the numbers against it, charges directly for Jedidiah, apparently wanting only to draw blood from the man who shot it. It seems the rage is stronger than its skill, though--the knife slash is nearly a foot from hitting its target.
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Party's up. Good luck, not that you'll really need it.


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

"That's not a knife," Jed says as the goblin misses by so much that it's almost comical. He calmly drops his rifle in the carriage and draws his large, vicious looking bowie knife. "This is a knife." He swings at the little pest with his significantly larger blade.

Attack (Advantage): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Attack (Advantage): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Damage: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Drake, realizing his aim is shot, drops his revolver and instead reaches for the tomahawk at his waist. As Jed draws his knife, Drake half-stumbles, half-tackles the last of the goblins to the ground before raising the axe over his head and swinging it down towards the creature's throat.

Attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Drake, you seem to be using the handaxe as a finesse weapon, which it isn't. If you'd rather have a weapon with that property I'm fine with you switching it out.

Drake and Jed draw melee weapons and assault the goblin, but the last of the ambush seems scrappier than its comrades, twisting and turning to avoid their blows. It even escapes Drake's grasp, hissing at him as it brings its knife up again.


Combat:
Revolver +6 (1d8+4) 6/6 ammo | TWF +4,+4 | Saber +6 (1d6+4)
HP 30/34 | AC 16 | Saves STR +2 DEX +6 CON +3 INT +0 WIS +4 CHA +0 | spd 30 | Perc. +6; Pass. 16 | Human Ranger 3 | 975xp | HD 1/3 | Insp. 0/1 | Effects: None

Dom can't get a bead on the last goblin without risking hitting one of his crew. And so figuring that his new crew has this in the bag, he takes a moment to calm the horses down.

Not quite sure if Favored Enemy would apply to an animal handling check, but I'll roll just in case, and you can tell me what's what. Favored Enemy is (beasts), by the way.

WIS (animal handling) ADV: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
WIS (animal handling) ADV: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 <--


HP:19/20 | AC:14 | Str +3 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +2 Honor 10 | Init +2 | Per +2 Passive 12 | Unarmed +4 1d4+2 Shortsword +4 1d6+2 Dart +4 1d4+2 10/10 Shortbow 1d6+2 20/20 Ki:2/2

With a movement as smooth as silk , Simon flings a dart at the evasive goblin...

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


This final goblin seems determined to do as much damage as it can before finally going down, and even as it falls back to avoid Drake and Jed's attacks, Simon's dart flies past and thunks into the wagaon's side. The goblin hisses and turns to look at the youth, then lunges toward him with its little knife. Simon's training continue to pay off, though, and he dodges back from the slash.
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Party's up. Rest assured that while this goblin's still around, you're still having a much better go of things than the other group.


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

"Just die you little sh*t!" Jed swings at the goblin again.

Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


HP:19/20 | AC:14 | Str +3 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +2 Cha +2 Honor 10 | Init +2 | Per +2 Passive 12 | Unarmed +4 1d4+2 Shortsword +4 1d6+2 Dart +4 1d4+2 10/10 Shortbow 1d6+2 20/20 Ki:2/2

Calmly sidestepping the goblin's hasty attack, Simon steps in , sword going low and clenched first going high...

attack, sword: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

attack, fist: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Although Jed's knife swing doesn't connect with the skittering goblin, Simon strikes with a combined assault of fist and blade, and where the goblin ducks the fist, it catches the sword in the chest. With a final squealing gasp, it clutches at the blade, but slides down to the ground. Unless anyone acts quickly for some reason, it expires in the dust.

This spot on the trail is quiet once more now that the battle is over. The ambush has been dealt with, but some questions remain: whose dead horses are blocking the trail, and was this ambush merely one of coincidence?


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Drake comes up from the ground in a kneeling position, breathing heavily. "Damned little beasts," he mutters, clutching at the arrow in his stomach. He breathes out once, then grips the shaft and rips it out of his body, grunting from the pain. He looks down at the crude weapon and tosses it aside, before coughing a few times and leaning on the side of the wagon. He looks pale, but has enough strength to haul himself up to a standing position. "I don't suppose any of you are any good at patchin' up wounds? I'm not much for it, m'self..."


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

"I can heal some small injuries," Jed says, sheathing his knife. He grabs his rifle and slings it back over his shoulder before he goes to check on Drake's injury. "Not sure I can patch this completely, but I can stop the bleeding." His hand begin to glow gold and he presses it to the arrow wound. It immediately seals over with new skin, though it still looks raw and red.

Lay on Hands gives Drake 5 HP back.


Male Human Fighter 2/Warlock 1
Spoiler:
HP: 33/35 | AC: 16, T: 15, FF: 12 | Init: +4, Perception: +5 | Inspiration: 1 | Spell Slots: 1/1

Drake breathes an obvious sigh of relief as his wound is healed, at least for the most part. "That's some fancy magic you've got there, friend," Drake says, rubbing the raw skin slightly with one gloved hand. He drops his shirt back over his stomach and moves towards the dead horses, looking around. "Now, d'you suppose we ought to find out who these belonged to? These little bastards prob'ly filled 'em full of arrows, but..." Drake's voice trails off, looking out into the distance with a furrowed brow. "Come t'think of it, this might not have been an unfortunate coincidence. We ought to look around, see what we can find."


Male Human Paladin (Oath of Vengeance) 3 | HP: 23/28 | AC: 15 | Init: +2 | Perception: +2 | Lay on Hands: 0/10

"Eh, it's nothin' special," Jed says with a shrug. "Just don't ask me to try it again. Healin' isn't really my specialty. I'll need a little time to pray before I could do it right again." He grunts and hops down from the wagon again. "Hmmm, you might be on to something. Let's take a look around and see if there's any clues about."

Perception: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

1 to 50 of 442 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Fistful of Coppers--Treasure of the Phandelver Mine--Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.