Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

AD&D Greyhawk Adventures: The Temple of Elemental Evil

Game Master Anselth

Current map


1,951 to 1,993 of 1,993 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>

Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

"This whole place is offensive to both my sight and to Heaven's," Andre says as his eyes fall upon the shattered altar. He reaches down to pick up the shattered manacle. "For the sacrifices, no doubt. The priesthood clearly don't use this space any longer, though. Where have they gone to?"


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

"We will find out." Sir Galavaine waits for a door to open and holds his flail all the tighter. He tries to remain calm in the face of the magnitude of the Temple.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)

'Why would the forces of good leave such a place standing? Why not just grind the whole corruption to the ground?'

Sallandrya is clearly ill at ease within the dark walls, she is clearly mentally reciting prayers as she keeps watch.

Qadira

Hearing nothing, Gnobby and Podo open each door in succession.

The area to the east (4a) was apparently a vestry. Bits of broken altar service are present here also, with a broken trident and pieces of torn, scorched robes of a moss-green hue. Other rubble includes several smashed benches, a small broken table, and a thrown-down wardrobe with one side kicked in and the doors torn off. A flight of stairs descends to the southwest.

The area to the west also seems to be a vestry. A broken rhondite bowl and ewer lie in a corner, apparently flung in anger and now shattered and useless. The interior of each is caked with a dry brown substance. Pieces of furniture are also scattered about, as are the torn remains of some brown garments and three stubs of brown candles. A flight of stairs descends to the southeast.

Map


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

"Perhaps they were deluded into thinking the forces of Evil were dispatched," Andre says in response to Salla. "We still aren't certain how active the Temple has become. Let us hope that it is only a few cultists gathering their power. I shudder to think that the Temple has returned to its former unholy glory."


Stepping to the edge of one of the stairs, Tarmin wrinkles her nose, "Let us finish our search of the ground floor before descending."


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)

'We will need a place to fall back to, I concur with my sister Elf.'


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

"I do agree, search all this area first is a sensible precaution though my heart wishes to descend in anger, my sylvan companions. Onward but take note of what we divine there maybe clues in this detritus."


Male Halfling Thief / 5

Podo is halfway down the staircase when he hears the voices of reason from above. He stops for a moment, his anxiousness to see what is down here warring with the voice above, then with a sigh he retreats back up the staircase to join the others...That is if nothing got him halfway down...


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

"Point what you want searched and we will go that way."


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)

Sallandrya gestures to the 'north' half of the corrupt structure.

And whispers

'Be careful, there may be nothing more up here, but our passage may set off alarms below. Why would they not have posted sentries up here unless they have a means of warning of intruders?'

The Ranger Priest silently hopes their opponents are either overconfident or lack resources enough to guard every entrance and not that she and her friends are walking into a well laid trap.

Qadira

Podo:
You reach about halfway down before moving back up to join the group. You saw what appeared to be a hallway below, but it may only be a large landing. You don't see or hear any movement.

A flight of steps, 20 feet wide and each step broad and tall, delves down to the north (7). The stone is a dull gray, but flecks of color — white, blue, red, green, and black — dot its surface.

To the north of the staircase is a stone railing, with supports of white, brown, and green stone alternating; its upper portion is cinnebar. The floor beyond is paved with three-foot squares of highly polished red granite. The square columns of some type of yellowish stone are carved in bas relief, and painted to show scenes of fire and suffering with demonaic creatures leering on.

Map


Male Halfling Thief / 5

1d100 ⇒ 2 Find Traps (51%)

Podo longs to hop down the big steps, and see what is at the bottom, but some bad memories, and a couple of scars make him hesitate in caution. He decides to "look before he leaps".


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

"What is it, Podo?" murmurs the holy knight unable to keep quiet as his boots echo away.


Tarmin edges past the stairs on the left, arrow cocked, head swivelling around to scan all corners.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 7

Qadira

Podo:
Podo cautiously steps down the staircase, only to vaguely note a door which he finds wholly uninteresting, though it seems familiar.

There is a pair of double doors, but they are locked and warded the same as the front doors. They create an overwhelming sense of apathy when you look at them, so much so that you hardly care that they are there at all, and want to go another way.

Tarmin:
Location #8: A huge bronze vessel chased with copper stands here. Its six legs hold it slightly more than a foot above the floorstones. The basin-like pot is eight feet in diameter. Its bottom is filled with old charcoal, bits of blackened bone, and undefinable lumps. A piece of chain still hangs over this altar, and evidently others similar once also hung there, but their bronze links were broken, and short pieces lie on the floor around the area. The altar's rim is dented and cut, as if struck by many hard blows.

Anyone moving up can read Tarmin's spoiler, anyone going down the stairs may likewise read Podo's

Map


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

Gnobby is used to secrets.

He calmly puts his cloak about himself and moves into the shadows. A virtual ghost, he wants to be close to action.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)

Perhaps Sallandrya, Sir Galavaine and Andre can link hands in prayer and consecrate the area to banish the stale evil that lingers in this part of the temple.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)

'Podo and Gnobby, stalwart friends with many skills, we need a fall back, perhaps we can rig trip wires above each of the stairs in case we are chased back it will buy us time or at least a surprise for any who would follow us back to the surface.'


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

Sir Galavaine follows Tarmin, trying to be quiet. He tests the weight of the altar.


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

Andre stays in lock step with Sir Galavaine, hand upon the hilt of his blade. He knows it's not a question of if the Temple's denizens will find them and try to repel them - it's all about when. He idly glances up at the dangling bit of chain. "What do you suppose that's for? Pendulum?"


Male Halfling Thief / 5

Podo comes back from his trip down the stairs.

"Well there's a couple of big doors down there, but they don't seem important". "Is there anything cooler up here"? "What did you find Gnobby"?


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

"I haven't found anything yet. Let us open these doors down there and do it after checking for traps."

He points around the upstairs.
"Nothing much here on this level. All the goodies are usually down below."


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

"We should check the rest of the temple proper. Not just this end. Before descending into the unknown." Sir Galavaine points back past the entrance they used.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)
Gnobby the Gnome wrote:
"Nothing much here on this level. All the goodies are usually down below."

My eyes are up here

:)

Qadira

Stepping up onto the altar, Sir Galavaine and Andre approach the kettle. It is heavier than either of them can lift, the bits inside unidentifiable, yet disturbing. Beyond the cauldron is a dais with a throne.

Andre:
The taint of evil is stronger here

The dais extends south into the Temple, forming a circular area. The floor, steps, and walls are black basalt, highly polished and gleaming. Four steps lead to the upper platform, and upon it is a great throne of purplish basalt, with leering demon faces and carved grinning skulls. Above the throne, the following words in the common tongue are chiseled into the curving wall:

THE POWER OF ELEMENTAL DEATH BRINGS MORTALS LOW BUT RAISES THE NAMELESS ONE HIGH

The flags upon which the throne sets are ten-foot squares of granite, set in a mosaic pattern.

Dais view from above

Map


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

Andre winces as he approaches the apse and sets eyes upon the throne. "Whatever sat here long ago has left its stain upon the world," he says, averting his eyes. "Something offends Heaven's senses, even this far removed from Emridy Meadows."


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

"Doth not that battle speak of orange or ochre robed figures fleeing? Not the colours noted here. Why no ochre? Red, white, brown and green must mean something, but what?"


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)

'Perhaps Pettry may have some insight in the nature of this configuration.'


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

"Four elements, somehow?", the paladin ventures. "Red for fire, brown for earth? Green for water, and not blue for some reason?" He shrugs, clearly out of his depth.


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

"White for air. Could be true but doth that help us puzzle out this?"

Qadira

Pettry shrugs. "It's as likely an explanation as any. I don't know what the pattern could mean, though that throne is...ugly. What about that door?" He nods to the right.


Tarmin ponders the inscription above and the mosaic below. "Indeed, the mention of Elemental Power does seem suggestive....but testing our theory may be too dangerous. The evil of this place is still strong...this "throne" may just be a trap for the unwary." she says eyeing the dais with suspicion.


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

"Let us try the door then. And continue our search. We do not wish for a wandering patrol to catch us here. We have the entire other end to consider also afterwards."


Male Halfling Thief / 5

"Oh a door"! "I'll check it out".

1d100 ⇒ 25 Detect traps (51)

Qadira

This portal is finely carved, but most of the vile and obscene work has been hacked and chopped so as to efface its evil. The door, appearing devoid of traps, opens easily at Podo's touch.

Beyond is another vestry, a chamber nearly 30 feet wide and 60 feet long. It once must have been the scene of debauched revels, for the remains of great couches, tables, and padded chairs are strewn about. Charcoal and several broken barrels lie nearby. A stack of resinous branches near the door seem to be the only things not broken or disarrayed. Amidst the litter are several skeletons, probably human. One wears the tattered remains of a scarlet robe.

map


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

Gnobby searches the bodies.
"Gruesome!!"


Tarmin enters the vestry ,bow at the ready, lips curled in distaste at the scene before her.

Seeing there was no immedicate threat, Tarmin lowered her bow and crouched to investigate the resin branches, cautiously prodding them with the point of her dagger.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)
Anselth wrote:
A stack of resinous branches near the door seem to be the only things not broken or disarrayed. Amidst the litter are several skeletons, probably human. One wears the tattered remains of a scarlet robe.

What does the scarlet robe signify?

Using Perception to search for traps and anything of interest in the debris of the room.


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

With the uppermost reaches of the Temple explored and found vacant, Andre leaves Podo and Gnobby to their work, and heads back towards the three stairways. He spies a door on the northwestern wall, and arches an eyebrow. "I don't think we've examined this one," he says quietly, and approaches. He gives a listen at the door before testing the handle and opening it as quietly as he can muster.


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

Sir Galavaine goes too.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 4/Ranger 3 (HP 40/40, AC 2; Init +3; Perception +16, Infravison 60ft)
Sallandrya Iramine Thainel wrote:
Anselth wrote:
A stack of resinous branches near the door seem to be the only things not broken or disarrayed. Amidst the litter are several skeletons, probably human. One wears the tattered remains of a scarlet robe.

What does the scarlet robe signify?

Using Perception to search for traps and anything of interest in the debris of the room.

Anselth did Sallandrya find anything of note?


Male Halfling Thief / 5

Podo starts stripping the robe off the skeleton. Maybe he can not pantomime an evil priest for party's enjoyment.

1,951 to 1,993 of 1,993 << first < prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Temple of Elemental Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.