Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

AD&D Greyhawk Adventures: The Temple of Elemental Evil

Game Master Anselth

Current map


351 to 400 of 2,040 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

When and if Andre and Pettry ready Galavaine starts walking towards the drawbridge looking out for signs of attack from the marshes. He walks slowly to give the stealthy ones time.


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

Andre draws his sword and readies his shield, Galavaine and himself forming a protective wall between the Moathouse and Pettry. He keeps his eyes peeled for giant frogs, bandits, or worse.

The Exchange

Podo and Gnobby make move silently/HIS rolls. Tarmin and Sallandrya make dex checks at a -4 due to your distance from the frogs to avoid being seen - just roll a d20 and get under your dex with the modified result (Applies any time in the future I ask for an ability check). Once the results are in, I will start the combat off.


Dex Check : 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (6) - 4 = 2


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

1d20 - 4 ⇒ (9) - 4 = 5


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

For the group:

Spoiler:
Out of character - I misunderstood the plan, I thought we were going through the fallen wall to take advantage of surprise/cover and fire at the frogs from the inside. This 'strategy' of going head on is a tad too familiar, my real life group does it all the time :) But if that's how you boys want to do it ...

----

Before Sallandrya follows Tarmin,"Our gallant warriors should lay in ambush, we will flush our quarry out into the open, we will fire upon the Anura and then Tarmin and I will move back and lead them towards you as they come forth, if they remain at a distance, then they will fall where they stand."

To our Wizard, she quietly says, "Pettry, while I am not a master of the Arcane such as you, there is a measure of understanding of The Art among all my people. And while I have no doubts you will rival the Archmages of old one day, today I think it best you watch our backs, keep an eye on the INSIDE of the moat house while we deal with the beasts. Save your arcane bolt, we may have need of it to distrupt any malign spellcasters our foes in turn may have. Should any of us fall I think you would be the best at keeping us safe from further harm, it is up to you to protect our 'heroes'" and gives Pettry's hand a tight squeeze.

Sallandrya will advance and take up a spot about 10 ft to the left of Tarmin, aiming to be about 50 ft from the closest frog. She is keeping an eye for any movement or signs of activity from within the moat house.

In Elven::: Sister, between us we should be able to bring at least one of the four Anura down before they even advance, should we aim for one of the smaller beasts or the largest one? Our blades and other hand weapons would be more effective on the large one once in comes towards us. We should focus our attacks as best we can, and pull back and have the Anura chase us into the waiting mercies of our companions.:::


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

Move silent/HIS 1d100 ⇒ 191d100 ⇒ 19


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

That's what I thought the plan was as well, Salla. Not sure when that changed...


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

Gnobby is secreting himself close to the gate of the moathouse (30') so that they will have to come out to get him, and he will most likely be hidden and out of sight of the gate. Plan is to engage them from behind if the frogs come out.

----------------GATE---------------
Gnobby

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Archers


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

I will give Tamrin the honor of the first shot as well as selection of the target, Sallandrya's shot will go half a second after her friend, and will steak towards the same target.

:::Great Hunter guide my aim ...:::

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 + 2 = 5

Edit: NATURAL 20!

The Exchange

DM:

Podo HIS: 1d100 ⇒ 35

Podo MS: 1d100 ⇒ 16

frog init: 1d6 ⇒ 6

group init: 1d6 ⇒ 3

1d100 ⇒ 43

Gnobby wis: 1d20 ⇒ 14

1=7/7, 2=6/6, 3=4/4, L=13/13; AC=7

Podo and Gnobby sneak around the frogs unnoticed, setting up near the pond out of sight. Tarmin and Sallandrya knock arrows, with the rest of the group ready to engage the frogs should they close.

All:
The group has four segments of surprise before the frogs can act. The smallfolk can close and attack in this time, and it's plenty of time to fire an arrow. Afterwards, the frogs will get to act first, then the party. I have Sallandrya's rolls for the surprise segments, I need actions and rolls from Podo, Tarmin, and Gnobby - The rest of the group is too far away, but can move up if they wish. The map in the campaign tab is updated, though only Podo and Gnobby are on it. The rest are too far south to appear on the map.


Aside to Sallandrya, "The large anura poses the greatest risk to our little friends, so we shall bring the brute down first!"

Tarmin pull the arrow smoothly back to her ear, sighting on the body of the largest frog.

Roll to hit on the largest frog : 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

The Exchange

Tarmin, that hits. Roll damage. All, please roll damage along with your attacks so I can apply it if you hit.


Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 4


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

DM Anselth

Spoiler:
Do we get only a single shot in the surprise round? I don't fully understand segments. And there are no rules for rolling 20's right? Save it being a hit.

---

Tarmin

Spoiler:
I actually looked at your rolls to see if I was doing it right, I think you should have +3 to hit (DEX + Elf + Specialization) and a +3 to damage (STR + Specialization), we trained together after all.
:)

---

Despite engaging the 'foe', Sallandrya is keeping an eye for any movement or signs of activity from within the moat house as best she can.


Sallandrya:
Thanks Sallandrya!!!
You're right, thanks for noticing. But my strength damage bonus does not apply to missile weapons unless I have a special kind of bow, i think you and Anselth discussed that earlier

Forgot about my specialization, + 1 hit and +2 on damage
So the damage is 6.


Male Halfling Thief / 5

Podo looks out from his hiding place, eager to see what's happening. While the safe thing is to keep hidden, and strike from ambush if possible, he can't stay still long enough for that, so he looks around for an opening too small for the frogs to enter as an escape route, then loads his sling for a shot. "I can hit those things"!

Note: I really don't know where I am on the map in regards to everyone else...so I'll just improvise.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 Sling attack

1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 Sling damage

At the same one the arrows are flying at.

The Exchange

All:
See Sallandrya's question above. Please make your iterative attacks. I'm going to have to do some thinking and tweaking on the combat rules. Technically, you've surprised the frogs for 24 seconds - but that doesn't make a lot of sense. We're not going to get much farther on this until next week, so I'll hash out a ruling in the discussion thread a bit later on.

Tarmin and Sallandrya loose their arrows at almost the same time, both streaking towards the largest frog. Tarmin's pierces the beast's lower jaw, stifling a croak and stapling the huge maw shut. As the creature rears in pain, Sallandrya's arrow strikes it in the abdomen. As the two elves knock new arrows, a small stone comes flying in from the right, smashing blood and bone from the crown of the giant frog's head. The unnaturally sized creature shudders and collapses into the pool, sinking into the fetid muck.


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

Galavaine continues up towards the drawbridge, hopefully keeping pace with Andre and shadowed by Pettry. If they head off at all, he continues on.

He keeps the shield with the Heironeon lighting bolt held high in front and mace drawn back behind himself ready for a sudden defence or attack.

"I imagine a giant frog could jump right over us. Watch for that."


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

edit: had a post but lost it, if it turns up that was the original

I am not sure if we are still shooting during the surprise round or waiting for the regular round but here is my next shot, Sallandrya will fire to support Tarmin again.

"Tarmin, Podo has given his position away, the Anuras may not be intelligent but they still may head towards him, shall we aim for the the one closest to our friend?"

To hit 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 + 2 = 7

damage 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 + 2 = 10

edit again: phooey! that's a miss I bet.

The Exchange

I apologize for not replying to everything earlier. After reading the rules a few times, here's how I'll handle surprise, since the rules are really unclear about it. If one group is surprised for more than one segment, the other group can make a full attack action (3 arrows for example, or two swings). If the opponent is only surprised for one segment, I will limit it to one attack. So in this case, Sallandrya may make one more arrow shot and Tarmin may make two (since you both have 5/2 attacks). Salla, your second shot missed. Podo, the two elves are 50 feet south of the pool, off the map. the Humans are beyond them, also off the map, moving up the path.


Male Halfling Thief / 5

If Podo can get off another shot He might be jumping up and down in joy, he will do so.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 Sling attack

1d4 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Sling damage.

And ends up jumping rope with the sling, tangling about his feet, and stumbling against the wall.


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

Andre nods to Sir Galavaine. "Duly noted. Stay between us, Pettry - we'll intercept any frogs that the others might have missed along the way."


With a grim smile at the fate of the large frog, Tarmin sets her sight on one of the smaller anura.

First Arrow
To hit :1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Damage :1d6 ⇒ 4

Second Arrow
To hit :1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Damage :1d6 ⇒ 1


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

Gnobby takes a shot with his sling. Thac0=20
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 211d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
if crit 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 41d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

If he can get off another
1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 141d4 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

DM Anselth:

Spoiler:
Thank you for the extra shot! Although I hope our party dosn't get surprised by 4 segments in the future. For some reason I actually understood exactly where you had us all on or off the map, so no jokes about girls and asking for directions!

For Tarmin

Spoiler:

Tarmin: I don't mean to keep being the big sister with you, I promise! :P I really am not a nit pick rules lawyer at our table games lol, believe me, there is a guy who already does that, but you get +2 to damage for each of your arrows that hit. I am just looking out for my sister in arms! Your a better shot too!

---

Are we focussing on the frog closest to Podo because he exposed himself sooner than Gnobby?

Switching to another target a half a second after the larger frog falls proves to be a bit much for the Elven huntress, angry at herself for misjudging her second shot, one an Elven child would have been able to make had she not had the heat of battle excite her, Sallandrya tries to gauge the range and let's lose another shot, trying to make best of thier surprise.

To Hit 1d20 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 2 = 13

Damage 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 = 8

Sallandrya is too intent at trying to keep an eye on the inside of the moat house and this may prove her undoing if that's another miss.

The Exchange

Sallandrya's second arrow lodges in a branch which the elf somehow missed in lining up her shot, however, Tarmin's second arrow buries itself in the heart of the frog as it turns to regard Podo hungrily. Sallandrya fells another with her shot, and Tarmin sights on the last frog. As she is about to loose her arrow, the frog pitches forward, limbs splayed out as it collapses face first into the pond, a grinning Gnobby standing behind it, tucking his sling back into his belt.

xp to come. Are you all going to continue through the drawbridge? Or swing around to the west and climb the fallen wall?


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

My vote's for the fallen wall.


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

If you want to climb the wall in armor, that is fine. The less obvious path is probably best, the fallen wall.


Tarmin surveys the stinking bog for any other frogs. When she is certain no other danger threatens she stands, nods to Sallandrya and motions for Gnobby and Podo to join her with others.

"It would seem that our 'escape' route is clear. Shall we enter by the ruined wall or through the front door. Gnobby , Podo were you able to see what lay beyond; within the courtyard ?" she says kneeling before the gnome and halfing.


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

Does the fallen wall look climbable by a man in armour? How about the rotten drawbridge.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

----

After surveying the groups handywork against the Anuras,

"If we are worried about the obvious entrance being trapped or guarded then we should make quickly for the ruined wall, there may be trip wires or guards there too but let us make haste before any within the moat house have more time to steel themselves against us."

Sallandrya will notch another arrow and offer to take point and be in the lead as they enter the moat house.

GM Anselth, did Sallandrya (Podo, Gnobby or Pettry) see any signs of activity from within the moat house during the brief combat?

Roll for any skill check that may be needed to observe/scout the area or climb the debris

1d20 ⇒ 2

The Exchange

Podo and Gnobby believe that even the armored members of the party should be able to climb the wall, albeit with difficulty, as the cracked and ruined stones have provided enough handholds and footholds that where the slope is steeper, there is a means up. The drawbridge looks safe enough from here, there are no significant holes in the structure, but without walking on it, it is too difficult to be sure.

Neither Pettry, Gnobby, or Sallandrya was able to see anything in the gateway or beyond, as the angle and shadows concealed most of the entryway.

Everyone give me a dex check for climbing the wall. Success means you make it up, success by 5 or better means you do so fairly quietly.

DM:

Pettry: 1d20 ⇒ 13


Male Halfling Thief / 5

"I'll go see what's up there".

1d20 ⇒ 3


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

roll

1d20 ⇒ 7

Keeping a wary eye while moving like a great hunting cat, bow half drawn, crouching low to the ground and maintaining a very small silhouette, Sallandrya will take the lead.

"Will you be my shadow and watch my back, brave Podo?"


Tarmin, confident in Sallandrya's ability to take the lead, waits until the others have advanced up the wall, taking rear-guard ; eyes on the moat for possible frogs and on the undergrowth for more terrestrial treats. She then climbs the crumbled wall.

Roll for Climb : 1d20 ⇒ 1

The Exchange

With those rolls, it's a good thing we're not playing d20...

Sallandrya and Podo scale the broken wall quietly and almost gracefully, stopping just below the top to peek over into the courtyard. The way down is somewhat steeper, but manageable. The floor of the courtyard is littered with burned and rotting wood and bits of tattered cloth, remnants of the destruction wrought on this place ten years ago. To the east, a stairway hewn out of stone disappears into the covered portion of the interior. An entrance to the tower and the main gates are to the south. Podo isn't sure, but he thinks he spies some movement through the main door, which lies open on its hinges.


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

Mechanics:

Climbing: 1d20 ⇒ 7

Andre stows his shield and climbs the wall with more skill and silence than one would expect from a man in heavy armor. When he lands there's a few rocks and such that are dislodged from his passing, but it's more or less graceful. He smiles at the two elven lasses in the courtyard as he draws his sword and shield again. "Looks like a childhood climbing trees in the Theocracy was not time ill spent."


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

Galavaine prepares to ask for a rope just in case and then prays that bravery and recklessness are one and the same since so many have climbed the rubble with ease.

Dex check 1d20 ⇒ 9

The priest slowly follows waiting halfway up in case someone needs a hand. He murmurs quietly as Pettry passes, "it goes well, doesn't it?"


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

DEX CHECK 1d20 ⇒ 1

The Exchange

DM:

party Wis: 1d20 ⇒ 20

The party swiftly climbs the wall once Podo and Sallandrya give the all clear. Pettry stumbles and almost falls, but Sir Galavaine steadies the young mage and helps him the final few feet up to the top. The group then drops almost soundlessly to the courtyard floor, surveying their surroundings. There is nothing of value remaining in this open area, those bits of detritus that remain are charred and rotted almost beyond recognition.

Podo and Sallandrya warn the others to hug the wall to avoid the motion seen by Podo. Nobody can see or hear anything beyond the doors.

Map is updated


Gnome (hp=18/18) AC=6 THAC0=20 Illusionist/Thief 3/4 xp 6775/7441

Gnobby whispers, 'Let's keep our scouting buddies.'

He grabs Tarmin's hand and leads her to the steps.


Hauling the gnome back under cover, Tarmin points at the arrow slits lining the north wall "Some caution is warranted,my dear Gnobby, let us travel along that wall, and slip unseen under those vantage points"

The Exchange

To clarify, Podo thinks he saw something past those large double doors to the south - they're currently open inward, next to the tower. Moving out into the courtyard will put you in full view of whatever he may have seen.


Female Grey Elf Cleric 1/Ranger 1

When a DM repeats himself, it's best for the players to at least pretend to listen ... :)

Keeping a tight grip on her drawn bow with her hands, Sallandrya still manages to uses her lithe fingers to motion to her allies.

Taking the lead and mindful of what the shadows cast by the surroundings may be hiding she whispers, "Where to then? Podo keep close, your my good luck charm," throwing the Halfling a wink.

Still at a whisper, "Pettry, keep an eye on our backs, and mind those stairs, I don't want us all flanked from that side."


Male Halfling Thief / 5

"OK". "I"m keeping my eyes peeled over there thought". "I'm pretty sure I saw something moving over there".


Male Human Paladin 3 [HP: 30/30]

"Hug the wall, then," Andre says quietly. "We make our way to the doors, and then rush whatever Podo saw. Sir Galavaine and I can lead the charge - the rest of you can offer fire support. Sound like a plan?"


Male Human Cleric of Heironeous 5, AC-1/0 Hits 45/45, xp 13,363.5/27,000

Galavaine nods and starts forwards along the wall with Andre, his novice eyes and ears concentrating on the doorway. Mace and shield at the ready.


Tarmin whispers to Gnobby "I will watch our back...assist the others.". She then turn her back on the group, knocks an arrow and watches the large door at the top of the stairs.

The Exchange

DM:

Galavaine Dex: 1d20 ⇒ 9

Andre Dex: 1d20 ⇒ 9

G Wis: 1d20 ⇒ 14

G Wis: 1d20 ⇒ 1

Group Initiative: 1d6 ⇒ 2

guard initiative: 1d6 ⇒ 2

guard 1: 1d8 ⇒ 8
guard 2: 1d7 ⇒ 4

G1 dec. 1/galavaine 2/Andre: 1d2 ⇒ 2

As Sir Galavaine and Andre lead Podo, Gnobby, and Sallandrya towards the door, a flicker of motion catches their eyes as a man dressed in dirty leathers but carrying a polearm with a wickedly curved blade at the end steps around the door. Both he and the party shake off the initial shock almost immediately. He shouts and lowers his voulge, charging Andre. A second guard rounds the corner at his partner's shout, lowering a crossbow at Sir Galavaine and squeezing the trigger.

Both groups go on the same initiative. Please post actions and I will resolve the first round. Also, each player gets 25xp for the frogs.

351 to 400 of 2,040 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / The Temple of Elemental Evil All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.