Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

A Crown for the Dead

Game Master Wrath

Carrion Crown adventure path -


401 to 450 of 479 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric is grateful that Kendra is no longer such a burden on his efforts. He let her travel under her own steam as soon as they were in free running space. He was sure she could out pace him and in this situation, distance gained between self and the horde was preferable.

To Kendra, "Lead the way then Kendra, may speed be your ally. I will bring up the rear. If you come to trouble, look to me for aid."

To himself, Did we provoke this? How could so many of these abominations exist within limits of a temple of my lady and not be uncovered. My fear of a corrupted temple grows. Run not to the temple folk for I fear they will not receive you with open arms. I cannot let these people flee to a supposed haven only to be shut out and slaughtered.

Ulric booms forth in as loud a voice as he can project. "People, hope not for save haven at your temple of Pharasma. Run there and beg for entry but do not linger. If the doors do not open for you, continue to flee."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (2) + 0 = 2

F me, some folks bout to die me thinks.


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

Archeos will look out primarily for his own safety (and that of the group); he's not terribly concerned about the townsfolk.

That being said ... He won't leave the children in a dangerous spot. He'll try and get the kids to go to the sherif ... If they don't go with minimal cajoling he'll resort to more "entertaining" methods. Also if the towns folk are a bit slow we'll use the powers of chaos to "encourage" people to move away from the danger.

(Rolls coming when I get on my PC)


Male Gnome Oracle

DM are we still in combat, because if so Malstrom will only be able to speak Celestial as per my curse and am guessing no will understand me

Malstrom grabs hold of Lucem. Better stick together, we could easily be separated in this chaos. Lets try and find the others. By holy Torag that is a lot of undead, I wish I had my armour.

Malstrom looking at his weapon continues I know you want to kill them all Kols, but there are to many. If I had my armour and proper weapons well then it would be a different story, but that is all at the house

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 Malstrom will try to look and listen for the other party members, especially Ulric and Brethan as they will trend to stand out and above the villagers.

If Malstrom does locate others he will try to determine which way they are headed and make angled line to join up with them.


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

Brethans thoughts for the DM:

Goal here for me DM is -
1. try and help the sheriff get the town folk to safety.
2. Get our group back to the house.
3. take the children with me / get them to safety

"Koal, Archeos stick together. Help with the children or stay with Ulric. Meet at the house"

Brethan will concentrate, draw a deep breath and bellow at the crowd "Get your cowering hides to the Church. NOW!" as he wields his sword and waves it threateningly at the townsfolk.
Intimidate - 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Brethan then runs over to the children, tries to get a grasp of how they will react perception and says :
"Children be brave. I'm here to protect you and we are going to run to a safe place. Help me get to my house. Quickly now we can run faster than these rotten shamblers. Hahaha lets go" as Brethan is talking to the children he will move around between them and the wall and herd them out into the open and towards the farm house.
"You big kids help the little ones. We must hurry"
perception for mood of children
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
To convince the kids all i have is intimidate or a base d20?? Lets go with ‘Angry barbarian’
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Female Half-Elf Cleric/2

Lucem draws her eyes from all of the half digested blood pooling around Malstrom and sees all the undead coming towards them. After a moment Lucem realises that Malstrom is talking to his sword. Talking to swords or the walking undead. How do I get into these situations? Mind you how unusual is talking to swords given what's happened? Do all fighters do this? Thankgoodness they're slow. I agree, safety in our few numbers would be best. I don't know if the church would be sanctuary against these undead. The only other place that might be of some safety would be back at the house. We need to keep these people away from those creatures. Especially any family members that might recognise the dead.
Any stragglers we'll try to help, Lucem will try for diplomacy mainly. Mind you who would need much convincing to run away from a zombie. If there are people who are emotionally torn about seeing their loved ones alive Lucem will use religion with diplomacy to keep them away.
Diplomacy:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
Religion:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Ulric continued to move, trying to urge people away from the church, but more focused on reaching Kendra's house.

The young woman had moved ahed now, almost out of his sight in the deepening darkness of the country night. Those folk around the big warrior ignored his urgings, and began to stream across the covered bridge towards the church, hoping for sanctuary. Ulric cursed them, even as he heard a cry of anguish coming from up ahead. He rushed forwards, fear momentarily gripping his heart as he thought Kendra may have been taken. What he saw turned his stomach.

Ahead, the noble woman had stopped dead, facing a grotesquely shambling figure in fine clothing. The head of the corpse lolled uselessly to the side, part of the skull crushed inwards from some heavy blow. The mouth worked, as if trying to make words, even as it lurched forwards with upraised hands, grasping at the woman in front of it. Professor Lorrimar had risen from his grave and had made his way home it would seem.

A strange arcane light burned along his arms. This was no ordinary walking corpse, it appeared to have a semblence if its old magic remaining.

Ok, Ulric and Koal are together here, just at the front of the Lorrimar residence. This fight belong to you two

*****

Archeos broke away from the the fleeing warrior and his charge, moving into the shadows near the big fence to try and rouse the children along. Just as he arrived, the looming form of Brethan came from ahead and bellowed at the children to move. The barbarian's strategy was sound enough, terrifying the children out of their stunned inaction and makeing them scatter before him like frightened chickens. The rogue cursed as they looked to take different directions. He darted in from the side, acting in concert with Brethan to keep the children in a co-ordinated group. It cost them precious moments though, and in that time the main crowd of villagers had swept away, rushing towards the church across the river. With a groan of despair, the rogue sawa large group of shuffling corspes had already swept in between them and the covered bridge. Many of them were following the crowd, but a group had sensed the small party of children and their carers and turned to pursue the warm flesh.

Ok, ARcheos and Brethan have effectively been cit off from the others by a large group of zombies. About 15 are coming your way, from both directions. You could try and mount a defense by using the big stone fence as a brace and fighting as long as possible, hopefully felling all 15 (it's possible, but tough). Alternatively you could go over the fence into the noblemans yard that it belongs to. You suspect this would slow the zombies, but you're not sure what's on the other side of the fence. Plus, getting all the kids over is going to take some time. You could try running and hoping to find a defensible house, most places have solid doors, but you're not sure if you can get in, or how long they'll hold against a mass of mindless undead.

*****

Malstrom and Lucem watched the scene in horror, and then got swept up in the crowd. Malstrom had just briefly caught sight of the big barbarian screaming and waving his sword around his head, but then people were all over them. Neither Lucem nor Malstrom could fight the press, and found themselves dragged towards the covered bridge leading towards the church.

The lovely young Priestess grabbed the little warrior and urged them to the side of the crowd, eventually breaking free just as the majority swept across the bridge. As she had suspected, Lucem saw a group fo 4 people struggling to keep up. With some shick, she realised it was the two farmers that had been sniffing after Koal all day. One of the big lads was obviouslty injured, and was slung across teh shoulder of his brother. He was heavy though, the man was struggling to move at more than a walk with him slung as a dead weight. The elderly parents of the two men hovered in distress on either side, urging them on faster and wringing their hands as they watched the wall of undead getting closer.

With an anguished cry, the father finally broke and ran, turning off to the side and disapearing into the darkness of the night. The mother screamed in terror and fell in a sobbing mess on the ground, almost tripping her burdoned son. The zombies would be upon them in moments if no one intervened.

Malstrom, you're still speaking babble as far as everyone else is concerned. You two have a choice here. You can leave these folk to their fate, or help them get across the bridge. Lucem, your diplomacy and religion rolls are very good, so chances are you'll at least get them moving again. However the leading elements of the zombies are close. There's a good bet that you'll have to slow them or destroy a few if you want it make it across and up the hill. No chance to join up with the others at this point, as the horde of zombies has spread through the town now and effectively cut you all off.


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric will Charge Bullrush the professor. He will pull his shield and ready it leaving his longsword still equipped.

Provoke an AoO as unfeated

Bullrush CMD+Charge 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 2 = 14


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

Brethan thinks to himself, "How best to get back to the house before being over run."
Perception to determine how big the big stone fence is, and how hard to climbI have a rope?
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Perception to scan for any surrounding building that we can climb on to (We being children as well)
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
If Survival or knowledge nature help can i add those?? (+6/+6)

Survival and knowledge nature can i use that as well? If not then just minus 6 from my totalto try to work out how best to cut back to the Professors house?
1d20 + 6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 6 = 14

"Gorem protect us" mutters Brethan as he tries to assess the situation.


Ulric rushed the undead thing, hoping to push it away from Kendra. As he closed, he left himself open to a counter attack though, since this was not a tactic he usually tried. The shield struck the zombie hard and it staggered away from the girl, but as it did its sparking arm brushed across the fighters visored helm. Pain seared into Ulric as the spell diffused into his body, sending lances of pain through his head and making his arm jerk involuntarily. Hits Ulric causing 7 damage (It hit AC 23 with a very high roll). Note, this is after the bull rush. It's AoO missed.

Ulric noted that the thing moved more rapidly than the shambling corpses he'd seen at the village though.

A Flash of light split the air as Kendra released some effect at the thing. The magic enveloped the undead creature but seemed to have no effect on it. She hissed in despair "Oh Pharasma protect, he has resistance to my magic. Beware his touch Ulric, he still carries a charge of pain on one hand."

*****

Brethan looked around desperatley but by far the easiest option was the stone fence. He knew they could boost the children up and over with ease, but one of them would need to go over first so they could be lowered safely on the other side. That meant who ever was on this side would have to boost the five children over and get over themselves before the zombies reached them. Looking over his shoulder, he could see the distance had already closed.

Once over the fence, he thought they could try and get into the mansion and defend themselves there. The fence would slow these things enough to give he and archeos time to force their way in somehow.

Give the others some time to respond too. I just thought it would be good to let you know how your actions turned out so far. Now I'm off to get more marking done. Have fun at the game tomorrow night, I am unable to make it at this stage. Cheers


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric, was not as concerned about the creatures ability to use magic but more so the damage the magic had just caused him. Magic was not unfamiliar to him but he had dealt little with threats that had used magics in his work. To him, it was just another hard hitting foe that Pharasma would aid him in putting to a true death.

"Let me try to hold it off you and together with Pharasma's aid we will send this THING on."

No longer -2AC from Charge

Ulric Longsword attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Doubt damage is needed but 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

"Well boys and girls ... I think it's time we go up."

Thoughts:
Of all the times to leave my gear behind ... next time we go to a party I'm bringing my full kit with me. AND my bow!

Archeos will look for the best place for us (me, big guy & the kids) to climb up the stone fence.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

If need be I can use my dagger to bash out some hand holds.

"Big guy; You throw 'em up and I'll stop 'em falling off".

Climb: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20

Archeos then scurries up the fence, takes a quick scan of the nobelman's yard (Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11) before reaching back down to haul the first kid up. (Hopefully I can use my climb to help them up and find a perch {Climb:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14} if not Strength:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11)

The current plan is to get the kids up onto the fence ... and then look for escape .... and if I can find something heavy to drop on zombies all the better.


Archeos, this is a very easy task. No need to roll for dragging the kids up at all. The big issue is the time it takes.

Archeos checked the grounds from his higher perch, not seeing anything of too much in the shadowy light.

As the first child came up into his arms, he thought he caught site of soemthing moving in the darkness. Turning quickly, he saw the dog as it barrelled noiselessy up to the fence. It was big, wolfhound or some other such hunting type, and its hackles were raised. The most eerie thing was the complete lack of noise it made as it came up to the fence. It stood there, looking up at the rogue on his precarious perch and slowly bared its teeth as its tail flattened and the hairs along its back rose.

Maybe dropping the kids into the yard wasn't such an immediately good idea.

It hasn't jumped, growled or barked, but as far as Mr Rogue is concerend, it's a vicious dog. Up to where to go from here.

The fence runs a fair way along this yard. It's possible to get along it to a tree inside the yard itself, but will take some balance. Note the tree is not accessable from the road but can be reached from the fence.

Alternatively, can try throwing food or otherwise distracting the thing.

And then there's the all time favourite fall back. Kill it.

Or, for something especially challenging, but probably the most fun. You could try and get it onto the zombie side of the fence. Hehe


Male Gnome Oracle

Malstrum will try not to say anything as to hope he does not freak them out. Hoping Lucem will be able to do the talking.

Malstrom will quickly move up to the injured man making as if to assist him in moving along, but really casting heal light wounds on him.

1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Then he will really try to help them to get running. Showing the injured man that he is capable to getting along under his own steam.


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

"Fall back to me, Kendra. Give Ulric some space" Koal called.

When she can, Koal will unleash her final, devastating magic missile.

Spell Penetration: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Magic Missile: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

If her magic missile is successful, she will follow with Force Missiles, until combat is resolved.

Spell Penetration: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8
Force Missile: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Spell Penetration: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15
Force Missile: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

If unsuccessfully, there is little she can do, other than try and keep Kendra safe, and back-seat drive, Ulric combat :). She will have her dagger out.


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

Don't trust the dog .... but the first thing to do is get the kids up onto the fence .... Once they're all up out of zombie reach I'll worry about deciding what to do next.

"Big guy ... there's a strange mutt over here ... we're not going down. Looks like we kill a dog or some zombies once the kids are safe."


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

Question for the DM and battle brother Archeos:
Is the fence high enough for the kids to sit on an not be reached by zombies?? Can they sit on this high stone fence with their legs dangling into the nobles yard and not get grabbed by zombies, while we deal with the dog?


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

Brethan yells "Archeos its a dog. Tell it to heel or sit, use your man voice. Bwahahahaha!"

Brethan will start to chuck kids up onto the fence top and tell them to sit still with their legs in the nobles yard.

"Get ready to jump kids."
"Archy how's that dog going?"battle stress may make Brethan a little too familiar!!


Female Half-Elf Cleric/2

I'm assuming that the mindless zombies are far enough away that we/family are not in immediate danger. Lucem will try to assist Malstrom with the family and encourage them to keep ahead of the horde. As Malstrom is helping the men, Lucem will concentrate on getting the old lady moving.
If a horde of mindless flesh eating undead aren't getting you to move, I'm guessing my sword is going to do squat. Fantastic, talking instead of moving. I should have gone to the hall instead of the dance.
Maam, what's your name? insert name here you need to keep moving, the rest of your family needs you. So you need to get up for your boys and show them how strong the old war horse is.
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Heh, wonder if the warhorse comment will get her moving.


Ok, finally finished my work and have my head back where it needs to be for this game

Brethan began to hoist kids up one at a time, starting with the youngest. If they kept their legs up on the wall, the Zombies wouldn't be able to reach unless they jumped a little. Brethan wasn't sure if Zombies did that or not. At least it would get them out of harms way for the moment.

Archeos meanwhile edged the kids along the wall as steadily as he could, trying to get to a tree that was inside the yard and away from both undead hordes and ravenous dog. The little girl he was leading started to cry at the height and clung desperately to him as he moved, making things even more difficult for the young rogue.

Brethan, you're going to need to make a jump and climb with the last kid on your shoulders in order to avoid tangling with the lead zombie element. Alternatively, you can boost him and and then climb yourself, but you'll cop and AoO or two as the undead reach you at the last moment

Archeos, you either need to make a diplomacy to calm the rapidly stressed kids, or start making accrobatics checks (balance) in order to keep a grip on the wall as the youngest child grasps you suddenly in fear.

****

Ulric dashed in and slashed with his sword, but the weapon missed the target as his foot slipped momentarily in a pool of what smelled lik rotten meat or intestinal juices. A yellowish flash of light erupted from Koals fingers as she launched a magic missile from her hands. With a cry of joy, the young mage watched as her bolt punched through the zombies defences and damaged the thing. Her second bolt fizzled however, and her excitement was dulled momentarily.

Ok, dinner is ready, will finish this later tonight

Edit - Back

The animated corpse of Professor Lorrimar swung gormlessly at Ulric, the grotesque lolling on its neck with teh jerky motion of the attack. The sparks along its arm flashed in the night air, warning the big fighter of the oncoming attack long enough for him to step back and avoid it.

Kendra moved in and pressed something into the fighters back. A sudden warmth filled his body and healing magics flowed through his body as the woman healed him with some arcane device.

The battle continues. Ulric recieves 4 hp back from Kendra's healing. Post your attacks and actions. The zombie can be hurt by magic and physical attacks. It requires a test to bypass its SR though to affect it with spells.

*****

Both Lucem and Malstrom moved in and assisted the struggling family. Malstrom's innate healing ability brough the young farmer back to his senses and he groaned as he came to. Clambering to his feet, he bent to assist his brother as they bodily picked up their mother and dragged her towards the bridge. Despite Lucems best efforts at calming her though, she continued to wail in despair and struggled to dash after her panicked husband. The boys made slightly faster progress than previously, but still the zombies were closing. They would make the bridge, but making the church might be beyond reach at this stage.

Ok, nice work healing the boy. The mother is almost hysterical and is fighting her boys the whole way. It would take a pretty epic diplomacy to bring her around at this stage, but it is doable (just). There are other options. Something to slow the leadin edge of the zombies perhaps, or a way to strengthen the lads, or some other means of calming/subduing the mother perhaps.


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

Brethan grabs the last youngster and with a growl says "Hang on lad"
Jump - 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Climb - 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16
do i get to add +2 to my climb check since i also have "acrobatics"??
Strength (if needed) - 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24

Brethan growls "Gorums balls boy we might have to run!

I think i have jumped 4.5 feet, and then not sure about my climb, amd hoping my strength can get me over the lip


Brethan Snowspitter wrote:

Brethan grabs the last youngster and with a growl says "Hang on lad"

Jump - 1d20+8
Climb - 1d20+8
do i get to add +2 to my climb check since i also have "acrobatics"??
Strength (if needed) - 1d20+4

Brethan growls "Gorums balls boy we might have to run!

I think i have jumped 4.5 feet, and then not sure about my climb, amd hoping my strength can get me over the lip

With a mighty leap and straining shoulders, Brethan hauled both himself and the oldest lad up and onto the wall. As he dragged his booted foot up onto the narrow lip, the first of the zombies slammed into the wall. The midless thing scrabbled uselessly after the scent of living flesh, looking up into the panting barbarians face with milk white eyes and rotten skin.


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric's vigor renewed at Kendra's touch and he pushes his attack confidently, knowing that his allies were at his side.

"Thank you Kendra. This thing is resilient and I may need of your healing hands again."

Ulric longsword attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Ulric swings again but with no effect. Inwardly he knew he would need to focus and actually aid his companions. It was not enough to just keep this thing off them, he wanted to be apart of righting this wrong.

Ulric longsword attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

It's ok child ... I won't drop you (Diplomacy 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17)
Balance:Acrobatics 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25

I'll also be looking for anything suitable to drop on Zombies .... NOT children.


Male Gnome Oracle

Sorry for delay in replying, but I really been struggling to come up with anything to help, as I cannot use diplomacy as I am speaking in Tongues and probably freak the old bat out even more

Malstrom knowing without slowing the zombies or speeding the family up we are doomed. He looks at Luceum with hopeful eyes, that she has some wonderful magic to get us out of predicament. But no reassurance was forthcoming.

Malstrom then frantically looks around for a closer safehaven for our small group. A hut, gardening shed maybe some kind of defencable position??

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Can I determine how long before the Zombies reach us and how many are there after our little group???

We can't let Koal's boyfriends die, we would never hear the end of it..... Malstrom thinks to himself

While moving forward Malstrom will also cast Protection from Evil upon himself.


Female Half-Elf Cleric/2

Lucem looks around the group looking for anything that could be used to slow the zombies down. The river looked like more trouble than it was worth and knowing the luck so far the zombies would be smart enough to use the bridge and meet the group on the other side. Lucem appraised the bridge, even with her lack of combat tactics she noticed that it could be a defendable position. But probably not with such a small group against the horde. Taking the privledge from the discussion with you mr DM. Her eyes met Malstrom's and the look spoke clearer than the incoherent ramblingsnthat was coming out of his mouth. It looks like we have to carry your mother. If we take turns we should be able to keep in front of the horde. If they get too close you boys take over and we'll try to keep the zombies occupied.
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6
Oh this is going to suck
Lucem looks to Malstrom for reasurance that her idea will work.


Ulric' blade swung in hard and fast as the second of Koals missiles blasted into the walking dead.

The edge of his blade bit deep, spilling partially rotten intestines out of the creature and causing Kendra to go pale in despair. The zombie seemed barely to notice though and swung again. This time the arm struck the knight and a bright charge of light ignited the air again. He felt his muscles spasm involuntarily under the spells influence and a pain raced across his chest momentarily. (Hits AC20, 5 damage)

A final blast from Koal smashed the things lolling head into so much mashed brain and bone, and the Professor again fell into death. The path to the Lorrimar Residence lay unopposed.

****

Shuffling along the wall, the small group of children and the two larger men eventually made it to a place where they could reach a large tree in the nobles residence. Scrambling into this they stared down into the scrabbling zombies as they desperately tried to reach the living flesh. Below the tree, the large dog had suddenly caught the scent of the rotting dead, and was going crazy running back and roward along the fenceline. Its eerie silence continued as it raced and scrabbled at the brickwork. For the moment, the group were safe.

*****

The small group were moving now, though still too slowly to make the church. Despite all of Lucems suggestionns, both of the farm boys ignored her words. They continued to struggle with their distraught mother though, and had her off the ground at least.

Malstrom suddenly danced around and pointed frantically at a small toll hut standing near the covered bridge. It was big enough to house a single person comfortably, and was probably left over from at time when crossing the bridge was tolled.

At first it made no sense to the other three, but then Lucem realised that the hut could be used to scramble up onto the roof of the bridge itself. It wasn't much, but it would certainly offer sanctuary from these things for the time being. In fact, if they got up there fast enough, the damnable things may even lose track of them and wander off to the church instead.

A few climb checks please. Easy DC (10) but DC 12 if you assist the two lads with their mother. If they fail, you guys will be safe. Them not so much hehe. Nothing to say the zombies may not hang around, but this is as good as your going to get in the current situation. You have three rounds to get up. After that.....hmmm

For everyone to read

Ok, two groups are done and dusted, for all intents and purposes. Archeos, Brethan, Koal and Ulric can go ahead and level up.

Will wait and see how Malstrom and Lucem get along before they can level hehe.

I'll update for all after we see how the hapless two fair with "Koal's Boyfriends" as everyone seems to be addressing them.


Male Gnome Oracle

Climb1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Once I am up on the roof of the hut I will assist anyone else that needs help in this order - Lucem, the mother then the males.


Female Half-Elf Cleric/2

Even though Lucem can't understand the ramblings from Malstrom. She figures out that Malstrom needs help to bring everyone up to the roof. The feeling of guilt is quickly overcome when she realises the plan to pull everyone to safety, not just her. She starts to climb up with aid of Malstrom.
Climb 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Quickly Lucem turns and starts to help Malstrom to pull the others up to the roof. Push your mother up, we'll pull her up from here. Then help each other up. Last one has to jump up. Diplomacy if you need it to convince the boys. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
climb 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
climb 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3
climb 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
I'm guessing the old girl is quite heavy. Sorry Koal. :)


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric turns to Koal as he watches the animated dead fall to her magical assault. "I am truly glad for your knowledge in such powerful arts. I believe on my own I would have fallen easily before it's perverted strikes. You have my thanks." He turns then to Kendra. "And you too my lady. Your arts preserved me further. To you also I am grateful." The road ahead lay free of any further hazard and for this he was relieved. He would see to his wounds upon his return. He had however learnt something during his fight with the undead. His shield would prove more useful if he were to stand as the wall against an enemies advance upon his companions. He would learn in time to be a true shield to those he counted as allies.


Malstrom climb checks for assisting the last young farmer up. 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11, 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Malstrom clambered nimbly up onto the roof, and turned to assits the others. He was quickly joined by Lucem who also tried to help the others.

The two young farmers boosted their mother up first, and Lucem Grabbed her under the armpits and pulled her struggling form onto the roof. Unfortunatley, the old lady landed on top of the priestess and pinned her their for the precious moments left before the Zombies closed. Lucems second climb check used for the mother. The others failed. It was funny to think of her trapped under the weighty old biddy

The wounded brother was then boosted up and Malstrom managed to get him onto the roof as well.Malstroms second climb check is enough to get the wounded brother up

The last lad leapt and grasped the roof of the shack but part of the shingle gave way at the last minute and he slipped down and landed on his back before Malstrom could get his hands to the lad. Their eyes met, and Malstrom could see the desperate fear held there. The little man held his hand out, beckoning the farmers boy to get to safety, even as the moaning hordes closed the gap.

The boy scrambled to his feet and kicked out savagely around him, knocing the first of the walking dead away. He leapt with desperate strength, and his hand found Malstroms. The litte gnome heaved and assisted the scrambling youth on to the roof even as the boy flailed with his feet to keep the grasping dead from tearing his flesh. Panting with exertion, the two of them finally managed to scamble onto the roof of the covered bridge, and lay their momentarily while the moans of the hungry dead echoed through the night around them.

*****

In the town, the occasional scream of a local who hadn't quite made it to safety reached all the groups. The zombies milled around the town, surrounded the church grounds and generally tried to batter or reach the living flesh they could detect so close by. As the night progressed, the smell of the dead permeated the air, leaving those in the tree and on the rooftop of the bridge gasping at the rancid odour.

Brethan and Archeos helped the younger children secure themselves in the tree so they wouldn't fall as exhaustion reached them. At some point, the mass of the zombie pressing against the main gate to the mansion eventually caused it collapse inwards. The eerily silent war dog was ready for them, and brought two or three down before the ever hungry creatures surrouned it and tore its quivering flesh from its bones.

From the vanatage point on top of the church roof, Lucem and Malstrom watched the mass of undead as thye shambled around the church. It seemed as if the priests had kept their wards on this building strong though, for the undead could not get past the metal gates, despite their sheer numbers.

Inside the Lorrimar residence, Lady Kendra desperately searched for something to fight the hordes, while Koal and Ulric patrolled the house to ensure none of the undead found a way in.

Sometime after midnight, a bright greenish tinged light seemed to emanate from the spire of the old prison. For a moment, for those who could see it, there appeared to be the angry face of young woman gazing out over the township itself. As the light faded, the force that held the dead in their animated state seemed to end, and the dead once again fell at rest. The night finished out without so much as a sound from any living thing in the township.


Havn't been able to get on for a few days sorry. Not sure why, but couldn't get Paizo up and running

The early hours of the morning saw the Sheriff and two of his deputies moving cautiously through the town, slowly gathering those who had survived and getting them to meet at the great cathedral of Pharasma.

Some folks hadn't made it, and by the time everyone from the newly formed adventuring group had arrived at teh Cathedral, it appeared as if ten new citizens had joined the dead during the horrific night. Not surprisingly, one of them had been the terrified father of the farmers that Lucem and Malstrom had helped. Sadly for Kendra, both of ehr servants had also succumbed. They had been visiting their daughters house instead of attending the feast, and had been caught halfway back to Kendra's by the roaming horde.

The mood was a mixture of grief and terror as the township crowded into the churches great hall. Over the sounds of the grief, father Grimburrow raised his voice and addressed all gathered before him. The man looked exhausted, but it seemed as if an inner fire burned in his eyes, where once only doubt and suspicion had lurked. Whatever else had occured, the zombie raid had awoken these people from whatever enchanted fugue had plagued them before.

"It is clear that the evils of the old Prison have awoken something dreadful in this place. We must act..today."

He looked around the room, meeting the eyes of those men and women who seemed capable of such actions. "We do not know if the power that animated our dead has abated completely, or will once again act tonight. Today, we must move those unfortunate corpses of our departed to a place we can better keep them penned in case they rise again. This will be soul draining work, but it must be done my good folk of Ravengro."

"A few days ago, a group of strangers arrived in town to assist in teh burial of the good Professor Lorrimar. In my ignorance, I ignored their pleas for assistance and instead treated them as potential enemies and purveyors of evil. We have all treated these folk as less than friends, despite their actions to work agains whatever evil has laid its hand to our town." He looked down and drew a deep breath and then continued. "I offer my appologies, and those of the township. If you are able, and still willing, I would ask that you capable few go forth to the old Gaol and find waht evil has caused this. Destroy it if you can, but return and let us know as much as you can about this thing at a minimum. Our township may well depend on your forgiveness and skill."

It seemed as if the entire town turned to look questioningly at the party.

Ok, please make sure you have levelled up to 2nd level. I shall send out a review of the loot attained so far, plus some items the church can give to aid in the search of the gaol. Ask what questions you'd like, and let me know what preparations you make in going forth to explore Harrowstone.

You can assume that any mundane items such as ropes, food etc are eagerly offered to you in your efforts. Magic potions or items of up to 100 gold will need to be purchased as per ususal, but are available. Only 5 potions in total, and 5 scrolls in total can be purchased this way, for the entire party, not individually.

You will be provided a wand of cure light wounds, but it has 25 charges only. This may negate the need to buy cure potions. Cheers


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric accepts the offering of the master crafted armor with great thanks.

He thinks it best to try it on immediately to see if it does however infact fit correctly.

He brims in a grand smile as the wonderfully crafted armor settles neatly upon his frame. He truly appreciated the craftsmanship and the quality of the equipment. He found his movement was not as impeded as one would expect and he could hardly contain the grin at his temporary gift.


Male Gnome Oracle

Malstom walks up to stand next to the Priest and cast an eye over the crowd.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Malstrom speaks, This undead evil cannot not exist any longer, it must be vanquished from this land! I for one will not stand by and let our family and friends succumb to this insideous terror!! I will not stand by and let our forbearers be raised and abused against us!!! I will gather my weapons and armour and I will fight this abomination!!!! I have the faith to fight, I have the courage to fight!!!!! Do you all have to courage and faith to fight!!!!!! Malstrom questions the towns people, pointing around the hall. I know you do! I can see it in your eyes, I can see it your hearts!! Will you all stand up with me and fight!!! I can't hear you!!!! Malstrom finishes with his hands clenched above his head waiting for he roar of approval from the crowd.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


Malstrom's speach roused the spirits of the townsfolk considerably. They moved with purpose after the little gnome had finished his rally, heading back out into town to clear away the bodies and clean up the debris from the burnt out town hall.

As Kendra and her new protectors prepared to leave, Jorfa (the female dwarf who runs the forge in town) walked up and offered them some advice.

"I was here when the Harrowstone was still functioning as a prison. In fact, tis a good chance I'm the last in town as was alive when the great fire took it down." She spat sideways and made the sign of the hammer as she did so, to protect agains the bad luck of mentioning such an horrific event.

"There were five men brought into the prison the week o' the fire. Five of the worst scunners to come out o' provinces in fact. Folks here abouts were angry that the prison were to be takin' such folk, but it meant more cash flow, sow the maesters said yes any way and there we were."

"Twas those five as staged the escape attempt as led to the fire, we was told after. They managed ter break free somehow, and rally the murderers and rapists as was the mainstay o' the prison ny then. Well, good old Warden Hawkran, he fought em hard the whole way. In teh end though, it came to fire despite his efforts. Him and most o' the lower tier guards was trapped when the oil casks ignited, so the upper guards say. Twas nought to be done afterwards but seal the place up and let teh dead rest peaceful." She looked intently into their eyes then, grim as most dwarves could be "Only they didnt lay restful at all. A group o' the braver lads in town went up there a few years later, lookin' fer trinkets and such that apparently lay in the deep vault of the place. None of them boys came back. A few days later the skin of one of them fellers was found hangin' at the gates of the Harowstone. Peeled offin' his bones like a melon skin it were, complete and whole. None have been up there since. We left the Harrowstone alone, and it let us be too. Until now it seems"

She spat again, sizing the big Barbarin in front of the group partcularly. "You remind me of them lads, boyo. All muscle and bellow. Take care we don't find yer own skins hangin' on the gates come morning you hear"

With that tale told, she walked out into town, to lend her significant strength to the task of mving the bodies somewhere safer.


If you click on my profile picture, it will take you to my profile page which now contains some links to images which will help you get an idea of the place. Use the over view of the Harrowstone map to plan your approach to the old prison.

The main gates are in tact, as are two of the watch towers. One wall has collapsed into a flooded section where the rivers waters have seeped up through the ground in a previous folld season.

The main building is the prison iteself, blackened and charred but still stnading intact due its mostly stone construction.

The other building you can see inside the walls is the Wardens home. It was unscathed in the fire.

Let me know which way you'd prefer to approach as a group. It is early morning (say 8 am) when you make your approach. The current plan is to get as much achieved as possible in one day but return before nightfall in case the Zombies rise again. You certainly don't want to be stuck outdoors when the sun goes down

Assume you have all spells and hit points recovered. Hit points will be healed by the local clerics and spells are definitely needed, so that one's a gimme from the DM hehe


So.... a) Through the front gates b) Over the walls on the dry side c) Over the wall near the back wall and main building itself d) through the ruined wall near the lake.

Which of those options do want to take as a group to approach the prison. Most popular choice after three posts gets taken, since we're really starting to slow down here.

Remember, by clicking on the picture of my avatar in this post, it takes you to a page with links. Use the map for Harrowstone link to understand the layout of the prison as generally seen from above.


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

"Right I'm for in the front gates, check the perimeter, then follow the path up to the left and see if we can get in from there" says Brethan

On the map it has the stairs going to a stonewalled section at coming in from the top of the map. Can we get into the building via that?


Brethan Snowspitter wrote:

"Right I'm for in the front gates, check the perimeter, then follow the path up to the left and see if we can get in from there" says Brethan

On the map it has the stairs going to a stonewalled section at coming in from the top of the map. Can we get into the building via that?

Yes, it looks like an entrance to an upper level. There seems to be an open stonework platform here. The other entrance to the place is through the main doors in direct line with the main gate. That section is semi ruined now though.


Male Gnome Oracle

Wading through water in our armour does not appeal to me, so I am happy for the front gates or the crumbled section to the right of the main gates. If we can climb over that part without getting our toes wet, that might be another good option for enter the prison. After that, working our way to the stairs which Brethan pointed out looks like a good course of action.


Female Half-Elf Cleric/2

Since we have no idea about what force is in there and everyone seems to leave the place alone, we may aswell just walk up to the front entrance. Clearing the guard house out the front first. Having no engineering skill whatsoever climbing through the broken part of the mansion that could collapse is not enticing. Going into combat soaked even if I dont wear armour is not my idea of a fun time. Besides once we're inside we'd leave a wet trail everywhere.


Front Gate it is. I'm heading up to Kingaroy for an overnight stay tomorrow. Will progress this when I get back on Thursday afternoon. Cheers


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Upon arrival to the prison once a first view is had.

"Foreboding looking place, but something within me stirs at the prospect of challenges within. With my lady guiding me, if this is the source of the undead and with you each as companions then I am most happy to venture forth."

He gives a smile to Koal remembering her magical aptitude which had aided him so greatly against the Professors restless corpse.

"I must agree with you in your plan of approach. Watery depths just don't need the kind of exploring I would do within it. Just another pile of bones in rusted armor is not the sort of result I am looking for today nor in the future for that matter. And as for scaling any of the walks, again, armor seems heavier the higher above the ground I get. I don't want to be exhausted before the fun even starts. I am entirely in support of the dry, low lying approach."


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

I would like to make an Engineering check based on what I see please. Looking for evidence of reinforcing. I will chuck in a Perception and a Dungeoneering check too.

Perception +2 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Engineering +5 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Dungeoneering +5 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


The group moved cautiously up the winding path that led to the ruins of Harrowstone. As they progressed up the hill, the air grew progressivley cooler, despite the sun that shone in the morning sky. Eventually, as they neared the main gateway, all of them were forming puffs of steam as they breathed out in the frigid atmosphere.

Ulric scanned the buildings and walls with a careful eye, though most of his training proved useless to him here. Some of the time he'd spent spelunking and hunting goblins in their tunnel systems during the goblin wars helped though. As far as he could tell, the stonework on the wall closest to the lake would collapse at the slightest disturbance. Certainly heavily armed and armoured folk, as some of his new friends were, would could cause substantial shifting in that direction. He got the impression that the main entrance to the prison itself was similarly unstable. A tall balcony stood there, overlooking the courtyard and Warden's house. The fire, and the weathering of the past 50 years had taken its toll on the supports though, and the big fighter felt it was unwise to enter the main building through here either.

As they moved through the gates, a strange feeling came over them all, like they had stepped back in time.
Everyone needs to make a DC12 will save (mid affecting and fear based). If you fail, please read the spoiler below. If you pass, please ignore the spoiler.

Spoiler:
For a moment, a terrible sens of claustrophobia washes over you. Your skin starts to burn with heat, and your lungs fill with choking smoke. The sensation lasts only moments, but the after affects leave you feeling very shaken in deed. (you are now suffering from the shaken condition until I inform you otherwise)


The Warden's house

The ramshackle building that once housed the warden and his wife now stands neglected and run down. The main roof sags heavily under the weight of rotted timbers and shingles. The main doors hung from their hinges, and the front verandha had gaping holes in the flooring where timber had rotted away completely. The building looked like a strong wind would blow it over.

Perception DC 14

Spoiler:
For a momoment it appears as if something flits across the slanting light of the morning sun shining through one of the upper windows in the old manor. A glint of light on a shiny object furhter draws your eye to upper floors.

The Main Gaol Building
Harrowstone itself was built with the same heavy granite that much of Ravengro had used in its buildings. Unlike the town though, here the stones were coverd by lichens and climbing ivy. The builing stood close to 30 feet in height, with upper battlements along the roof line to provide patrolling guards with shooting spots in case prsioners had tried to escape the grounds.

Escaping under that killing field would have been daunting enough, only to the then face the sheer climb of the twenty foot outer wall. Of course, that was 50 years ago. Now the outer walls were cracked and showed signs of weathering. The same ivy that climbed the prisons walls clung tenaciously to this stone as well. Any competent thief would scale that wall in seconds if given the chance.

A few places had stairs leading to the parapet. These had once been protected by wooden walls and a gated entrance, allowing guards with keys access to the upper walls but seriously hampering anyone elses effots. Now the wooden walls lay shattered and rotten, and the gatehouse stood as a useless structure, testamount to an age long gone.

Perception DC 14

Spoiler:
Part of teh ivy growing along the walls of the Prison building seem to have been cleared away recently. From where you stand a few marks seem to have been etched or painted onto the walls here. However, you'd need to get a lot closer to get a good look at what's there.

Ok, I've described what you can see from the main gateway, haivng just entered the place. Brethan has suggested you move around to the left of the building and head up to the balcony on that side. It's not overly visible from where you stand at the moment. The information above may change your actions though. Also, please let me know what preparations you have made heading in here in terms of buffs or weapon prep. A rough place where you'd like to be in teh battle order would also be useful. Cheers


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Will Save vs DC12 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

"This place is truly cursed, I feel it seeping into my very skin. Forward but be wary, I have an ill feeling something bad corrupts this place."

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

I applied my -2 outside of the post retrospectively GM. Will included it in my rolls from now on as required.


Ulric Vastagar wrote:

I applied my -2 outside of the post retrospectively GM. Will included it in my rolls from now on as required.

Thanks for the heads up. Need two rolls actually, one for the prison and one for the old Manor. This means if you fail one you still get a shot at noticing something for the other one.

Cheers


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Perception 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 - 2 = 10

401 to 450 of 479 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Crown for the Dead All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.