Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


A Crown for the Dead

Game Master Wrath

Carrion Crown adventure path -


151 to 200 of 479 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Had a game tonight so haven't been able to update. Will do so tomorrow with more details

Library group have had great success with all the assists. Details tomorrow

So far I have Ulric and Lucem going to the church to talk to father Grimburrow.

Koal is going to the town hall to try and get records for the people who died in the fire

Malstrom is trying to track down people in town who know more about what happened at the prison.

I propose Brethan with Malstrom (I can't imagine a barbaric northerner spending too much time in libraries when there's a chance for drinking and carousing to be done). Archeos with Koal (second pair of eyes and maybe better diplomacy.) Archeos most likely wants to case the joint as well

Also, Ulric isn't a Paladin, but he is a Lawful follower of Pharasma. It's unlikely he will accompany you on a trip into the tomb if Father Grimburrow expressly forbids it. He said as much in his last post and it would be good to consider that. It doesn't mean the chaotic members won't try, but we'll have to come up with a workaraound as a group so as not to isolate Ulric to a point where it wouldn't make sense for him to keep hanging with the group. (sneaky stuff and deception works, but is never advisable for interparty stuff.)


Male Gnome Oracle

I am more than happy to have Brethan accompany me for a jount through town, he does seem to have a way with the older ladies with his wild ruggered (and a bit smelly or should I say pheormones) and manly charisma. :)

I do think we should go out there with the intension of deplomacy first, Malstrom being the speaker and Fabio, I mean Brethan assisting. Then if it needs to turn to intimidation Brethan takes over Malstrom assisting.

As for the crypt, Malstrom was indeed thinking of organising a secret trip there without Ulrics knowledge. ie A few of us might follow a lead for information which takes us away from town over night??? But since we still have to keep Kendra safe, 2 or 3 stay behind at the house to ensure Kendra's safety.

Or sneaky Archeos might be able to do it himself, though I think it might be too dangerous for just one person. And I still have reservations about sending Archeos alone, he might just pilfer everything not tied down :) Eventhough I am happy to obtain the items we need temporarily, as it is for the greater good. I don't think we should touch anything else.

And on their return with the loot, we tell Ulric that Joe Blogs was very keen to help exterminate the evil and lent us some items to assist :)


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Let's not get ahead of ourselves yet. The priest may yet be a wanker that Ulric doesn't trust.


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

I'm quite keen to get a look around the town hall. It would also be advisable that the hall be reconnoiter just in case the clerks decide they don't want to share their information.

I don't have any reservations about a solo trip to the crypt (when Ulric isn't looking) ... and I'm happy to only acquire the items we need - it's not a good idea to go desecrating crypts unless you have good reason. However, given that a trip to the crypt seems to have been strongly linked to the professor's death I would like to take an extra pair of arms (or 2) with me just in case things go bad.


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

Sounds good to me. I shall go assist Malstrom, and when the time comes I am sure since it is a "false" crypt and therefore not a real crypt, Ulric will be more than happy to come along..... hehehahahamawhahahaha


After spending a long day rifling through books and searching for reference to the Whispering Way, the group finally collate enough information to get a good idea about this powerful group.

What you found out

The Whispering Way is a sinister organization of necromancers that has been active in the Inner Sea region for thousands of years.

Agents of the Whispering Way often seek alliances with undead creatures, or are themselves undead. The Whispering Way’s most notorious member was Tar-Baphon, the Whispering Tyrant, although the
society itself has existed much longer than even that
mighty necromancer.

The Whispering Way itself is a series of philosophies that can only be transferred via whispers— the philosophies are never written or spoken of loudly, making the exact goals and nature of the secretive philosophy difficult for outsiders to learn much about.

Exact details on the society are difficult to discern, but chief among the Whispering Way’s goals are discovering formulae for creating liches and engineering the release of the Whispering Tyrant. Agents often travel to remote sites or areas plagued by notorious haunts or undead menaces to perform field research or even to capture unique monsters. Their symbol is a gagged skull, and those who learn too many of the Way’s secrets are often murdered, and their mouths mutilated to prevent
their bodies from divulging secrets via speak with dead.


The next day dawns with a heavy fog again blacnketing the town. The temperature is warmer though, and it promises to bring a splash of sunshine later in the day.

Eager to get a start into finding more about their patrons death, the small band split into a number of groups and headed out into Ravengro.

Nearly all of them were met with suspicious stares, and the odd citizen made the spiral sign of Pharasma's warding as they walked past.

Brethan and Malstrom in particular seemed to draw looks of concern and fear as they wandered about the place. The hiling form of the Barbarian combined with the constant wierd mutterings of the gnome had folks on edge.

Brethan and Malstrom

Spoiler:
After a good number of hours wandering around the place and trying to find information about folk who might have been around when the fire destroyed Harrowstone, you both come to the realisation that no one is interested in talking to you whatsoever. People seem to find things to occupy themselves, or business in the other direction whenever you both approach. It is just as you're about to head back to Kendra's place when you notice a crowd gathered around the big statue in the centre of the square. As you both approach, you can see people muttering in hushed tones and pointing at something on the statue. They are farely well crowding in so getting a good view of it is hard at this point, particularly for Malstrom.


Archeos and Koal

Spoiler:
Archeos and Koal both looked with interest at the buildings and locations of the town as they walked around. However, they both had different reasons for it.

Archeos noticed almost immediately that the buildings here would not be easy to break into. All of them had heavy doors and shutters, and the few locks he had a good chance to look at seemed very solid and well built. He sighed when he thought that towns near a border that neighboured an Orc kingdom most likely wasn't helpful to people in his line of work.

Koal was mostly interested in the different styles of architecture and the subltle use of symbology on the buildings. Many of tehm contained grotesues of one form or another, designed to frighten spirits and other bogeymen away. The odd building also contained what appeared to be religeous symbols carved into the lintle and keystones of their doors. It was not a practice she was familiar with.

Eventually, the two half elves arrived at the biggest building in the place. IT was most obviously the town hall, particulalry since the locals had seen fit to stick a huge sign in the ground that stated TOWN HALL in front of the place. Some of them probably needed a regular reminder, stupid hicks.

They found the door to the place locked, and the windows seemed s$$+ and sgguttered as well. As far as they could tell, no one was home. A small house seemed to abut to grounds around the hall, perhaps teh groundsman was there.


Ulric and Lucem

Spoiler:
The two most pious members of teh group headed straight through town, back along the road they travelled yesterday to bury the Professor. The great church of Pharasma was an old building, constructed from the great black stones of the nearby mountains. The holy symbol on the door was a great spiral of Pharasma, and the gardens were filled with dark roses, almost black in colour.

They could see a number of folk moving around the church as they approached, all of them dressed in robes of Pharasma priests. Moving up to the closest one of these, they politely asked to see Father Grimburrow.

The man looked up from his work in tending the dark roses and his eyes widened at the sight of Lucem. "El daiblo despawna" he whispered, making a protective sign across his chest. He stood then, his face seemingly impassive as he stated flatly "The Father is too busy to speak to the likes of you today. If you wish an audience with a man of his importance, you must first show your devotion to the church by attending our services. I have never seen either of you at our church before"


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric does not accept the priests rebuff.

Authoritative chastising as a reply

Intimidate 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

"Regardless of being a priest to my 'mother' I will not grace you with respect when you so offhandedly brush off my request. I do not need have attended your church before today to request aid or audience. Shame for you belittling yourself and besmirching a priests role. Continue with your labor and may your hands and voice hereafter honor your service to our mother. I mean to see the father for my business is above your permission."


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

Archeos walks up to the door and takes a closer look at the main entrance (perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24) knocking on the door and making a show of trying to get the attention of those inside (bluff:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11). He then moves off in th direction of the small house while taking stock of other potential entry points (perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25).

can I get a more detailed description of the town hall. Is it two stories? How do the windows appear to be secured? Is there a way in through the roof?


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

I will tell Malstrom what i can see I will get himn to manoeuvre around until i have a better view of what is going on. If edging around the outside of the crowd doesn't help i will shuffle into their ranks until i can see what is drawing their attention.
Perception +6, intimidate +6, acrobatics +8 (if any of them are needed)

The percepion to make out what is going on, after i have manoeuvred into a okay to good observation point to get a look at what it is, and as i tac on to the back of the crowd i will ask "What is it. What's happening?" to the persons in front this is in the hope that whilst we have been avoided they will follow normal crowddish behaviour and just relay what they know without actually looking away from the point of interest If I need to shuffle into the crowd to do that or to make room and need to communicate my wishes i'll use intimidate via a glowering stare/menacing growl ( acrobatics to help move through crowd....our rep obviously precedes us so I should get +5-+10!! hehehe). I take Malstrom with me and make room for him, unless he wishes to stay out of it. Basicallly I want to know what is on the statue/what is the crowd gathered for, and check it out ourselves.

Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Intimidate 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Acrobatics 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22


Male Gnome Oracle

Malstrom will follow Brethan closely into the crowd, thinking these town folk will easily clear a path for my menacing friend. I will assist Brethan's intimidate (d20=3=8+3=11) by yelling out, Outta the way, big angry hairy man coming through or words to that effect.


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

Koal will follow Archeos around to the side house, and see if anyone is about. If there is someone, she will ask when the town hall opens. If no one at all is about, and Archeos is keen for a little B&E, her arm need not be twisted to tag along. She will also begin to detect magic around the area, specifically on any potential doors or windows that might be breached.


Ulric and Lucem

The accolyte pales slightly at the big warriors words, backing up a little and making way for him. "O..Okay" he stammers before leading you into the church itself. "The high priest is in the main annexe at the rear of the church. "

After pointing the way, the initiate scurries hurriedly outside again, eager to remove himself from the intimidating fighter and his half elf companion.

The church is darkly gothic inside. Images of skulls and scythes decorate the room, along with paintings of whiportwhils and the spiral gateway to the lady of deaths realm. Heavy wooden pews form rows in the centre of a huge central meeting hall, the roof above showing open beams in the same heavy wood and same dark staining. At the rear of the chappel, a series of doors lead to other parts of the church, but the accolyte had clearly pointed out a set closest to the two visitors.

Their heavy boted footsteps echoed loudly off the stone flooring in the large empty space, and it almost seemed as if the reapers and skeletons turned accusing glares their way as they disrupted the silent contemplations of the dead.

Finally they reached the doors and opened them into a well lit room. Candles burned in every corner and surface of the room. The back of the room had a large statue of lady Pharasma staring into the distance, her hand held out in welcome to the newly departed while her heavy scythe rested against her shoulder. Kneeling in front of the statue, his head bowed in deep prayer, was the old priest from yesterdays service. Father Grimburrow didn't look much more than a sack of old skin and weakened bones as he prayed, but his voice boomed out in rich tones as he called to intruders "I left instructions not to be disturbed. This had better be worth while or you'll be scrubbing the alter with a toothbrush accolyte."


Brethan and Malstrom

The burly form of a huge and smelly barbarian easily cleared a pathway through the unsettled crowd. As they drew nearer, Brethan began to make out the details of some sort of Graffiti painted in drippind red colour across the base of the statue. He wasn't sure, but the colour sure looked alot like blood splattering. He'd seen enough of that to know. The letter A was painted in havy lettering, trailing off at the aend as if the hand doing the work had lost energy and just let the paint filled brush sag to the ground.

Malstrom couldn't really see much of this, but he did note the people around him seemed very spooked. When Brethan relayed what he could see, the little gnome was a bit puzzled. Why would a simple letter spook these folk so much.

Even as they were about to ask what was going on, an authoritive voice called from behind the crowd. "Alright, Alright! Clear a space so I can get a look at what ....."

The voice trailed off as the man who was speaking finally got to see the Graffiti. His face seemed to drain of colour a little as well, and as he turned to address the crowd, both of the newcomers caught sight of the gold badge he wore on his leather vest. This was obviously the town sherriff. "Who in black roses did this?!" he demanded, his voice soft at first, but firming up at the end.

"It wasn't none o' us Sherr'f. In fact, taint never happened afore, not least till these new folk turned up a causin' trouble down at the Deadlands"

Brethan recognised the speaker as the old woman they asked for directions from yesterday. She cast a glare his way, her wrinkled eyes narrowing slightly as she eyed the youth up and down. The was a bit murmuring from the crowd at this, and a number of heads nodded in agreement at the old bats words.


Archeos and Koal

The building was mostly a single storied affair, but taller than most. At the rear of the building, a second level had been added, made from timber and accessable from the outside by a flight of stairs.

Archeos' professional eye noted that the windows were shuttered, and most liekely barred from within. He had seen the locks on the front door, and didn't like his chances at tackling that. There may be an easier lock at the top of the stairs, but he felt his best chance to get in would be to lif the bar on one of the shuttered windows and then try climb through. They were all at chest height on this level, but he could see one or two higher up.

The fog from the morning had all but burnt off as the sun began to rise, but there were still some tendrils clinging to the place that may provide some cover if they were to try for a B and E.

Koal looked about almost as carefully as Archeos had, but she couldn't find head nor tail of any people around. It seemed that most folk in town were off somewhere else this morning. While she pondered where that might be for a moment, Archeos suggestion of maybe taking a surreptitious look inside without permision quickly brought her mind back to the present. Uttering a few arcane words, her vision quickly changed to detect the fluctuating energies of the arcane spectrum. Scanning the area, it was obvious that no mnagic was kept in place on these windows and doors. Probably not worth the time and energy if it wasn't keeping more than a few records in there, she thought to herself.

If they were going to break in, now was the time. Who knew how long it would be before someone came along.

You two can wait for someone to come along, or break in. DC 20 disable to lift the latch on a window. Only requires a dagger to do it too, though lockpicking tools will add a +1 to the roll as they have a specific device for just such a situation. Then its just a case of climbing in. If you can't manage to pick it, you could force the window with a DC 20 strength check. This may damage it so it won't shut properly though.


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric is in-love with the detailed workmanship of this dedication to his deity. He bows too, before the statue and speaks a warriors prayer to Pharasma loud enough for the priest to hear, hoping the priest would realise the fact that these 'intruders' were not his acolytes.

"By sword and blade, I pave the way and walk the path I lay this day. Day and night I hold your hand and do your will as you doth command.
My mortal form will turn to dust, black rose petals and metal rust."

And await further words from the priest.


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

Archeos takes a long look around taking in the building, its surrounds and likely routes for a quick egress (Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22). He then nudges Koal and states "I think we should let ourselves in."

With that he approaches the window which he feels provides the most concealed approach (Stealth:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14), selects a tool from his belt pouch, checks for traps (Perceiton:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22) and then (Disable Device:1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28) opens the window.

Archeos slips through the window with a fluid and clearly practiced movement while indicating to Koal that she should follow; quickly.

When Koal comes in I'll close the window behind us


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

Just to clarify, we are breaking into the town hall, and not someone's house? Or are they they same thing?

Koal will keep lookout at the door, seemingly waiting for someone to return

Bluff (+1): 19 +1 = 20
Perception (+5): 8 +5 = 13

Archeos, look for a back way out, just to be safe. I will keep watch. Let me know if you need a hand.


Male Gnome Oracle

Malstrom will make hiw way across to the Law man, Hail Sheriff, we are friends of Kendra just here to support her in this sad time. It has been terribly hard on on her, has her fathers passing. It is good that she has a supportive community and friends like us to help her through this time of grieving don't you think???

Diplomacy d20+8=11+8=21

But as you know Sheriff sir we are new arrivals in town and do not understand what this horrific message means, would be so kind and enlighten us, so we do not say or do anything to upset the townsfolk?

Malstrom will also think back to see if he himself recognises the sign.

Knowledge local = d20+7=9+7=16


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1

Brethan just waits patiently for a reply, arms crossed, except for an occassional scratch of his nuts.


Female Half-Elf Cleric/2

Looking around at all the religious artifacts Lucem inhales deeply and exhales saying A place of worship, there is no other smell in the world like it. She joins Ulric by the statue, she bows her head to the statue and says in the tone of a personal message rather than Ulric's war cry My thanks to you Pharasma. May they have been worthy and are not in your graveyard. She takes a moment then turns to Ulric and quietly says Nice subtlety could you shout any louder? I don't think that acolyte in the yard heard you. Mind you I did like you're subtelty with him. I'm sure there was a puddle where he was


Will update in the morning. Some interesting stuff coming in this next one. Cheers


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric would not have been shouting his prayer, just saying it loud enough for the priest to hear.

Bloody helves and their sensitive hearing.


Ulric and Lucem

At the sound of Ulric and Lucem's prayers, the old priest opens his eyes and turns creakingly around.

"Ahhh, fellow believers I see."

His rheumy old eyes squnit a little in the candle lit room as he takes in his two visitors, and both teh fighter and cleric can see that desite his age, his mind seems sharp. In that brief glance, the old priest seemed to stare into their souls and make a judgement onwho tehy were.

"Well, it would seem that whatever brought you here you deemed of necessary import that it warrants disturbing my prayers to My Lady Judgement. You also seem to have gotten past Brother Sangra somehow, despite my orders to him that I wasn't to be disturbed."

He stood then, looking at the two visitors with an unreadable expression on his wrinkled old face. "So then, what is your business?"

We can go for the whole conversation here, or if you'd rather paraphrase your main thrust of discussion and roll, then let me know. Pete and I are both old hands t this and we tend to go the whole character development thing. I understand if some of you others don't though


Malstrom and Brethan

Malstrom's honeyed words seem to passify the tightly wound man in front of him somewhat. Perhaps it was his diminutive stature as much as anything else, but the sherriff's shoulders relaxed visibly and he turns back to the crowd. "Righto, time to disperse people. I need to see what this is about and with you lot gaping and pointing, I can't do that."

His words seemed to lift some sort of pall of fear that had fallen over the group of Ravengroers, and they gradually moved away. Each of them gave Brethan a wide berth, seemingly perterbed by his vigorous handling of his nether regions and the slight odour of damp fur coming from his clothing.

When the sherrif noticed the two newcomers hadn't dispersed with the others, he sighed and spoke clearly "Look, I have no idea what this thing means, nor what made it yet. However, things have been a little ...off, recently. People are jumpy and this thing spooked me at first. No idea why, it's just some scythe damned graffiti, by Pharasma's veil. Anyway, you two need ot move off too, unless you have some way of telling me what it is this was paitned with"


Archeos and Koal

Koal looked around as she spoke, only to find an empty space where the masked half elf had previously been. The only sign of where he had gone was the gently closing window shutter in the building.

Grumbling slightly at being ignored by the man, the young mage made her way around to the front of the front of the building and proceeded to look..casual. A few minutes later, a large crowd of locals started to walk down the street. They seemed animated by some event furhter in town and at least one old lady was talking up a storm about how untrustworthy ousiders were, to almost anyone that would listen to her.

Her eyes turned towards the town hall as she spoke, and she seemed to pick up her thread almost imediately "Lookee over there. I tol' ye those folk was trouble. Town hall 'aint open till trade day as any decent folk oughta know, and there she is all skulking and hangin' at the main door."

While that type of statement seemed perfectly ridiculous to Koal, at least two of the younger men standing near the old lady nodded at her words and began walking towards her.

*******

Inside the building, Arheos had found himself within a lage hall. It seemed to have a set of benches placed in with a small stage and lecturn at one end. A small flight of stairs led to above stage set of offices as well. He moved carefully up these stairs and found that while the locals took a fair amount of care to keep the outside safe, the inner building was completely unlocked.

Once inside the office rooms, he began to look for something relevent to the events of Harrowstones burning and history.

Archeos, need some perception checks from you, and also give me another two disable checks just in case. Cheers


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

Perception 1: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Perception 2: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Perception 3: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Perception 4: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Disable Device 1: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Disable Device 2: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Disable Device 3: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (14) + 12 = 26

Archeos will also attempt to be stealthy while in the hall (Stealth:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19)
It always pays to be careful


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

Ulric will be blunt and to the point. Ulric moves closer to the priest to make his own assessment of the man.

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

"I invoke our Lady's name to bear witness to our words. Pharasma, preside over our words in this, your house of worship so that no truth is hidden."

Ulric then looks to the priest.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15

"May I ask what you know, if anything of the Whispering Way, holy father?"

Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

"I ask because we have come upon evidence giving us cause to believe that the Whispering Way has a sect here in Ravengro and we would like your cooperation to fully investigate and properly combat what ever we uncover."


Male Human Barbarian lvl 1
Narrator Prime wrote:

Malstrom and Brethan

...that had fallen over the group of Ravengroers, and they gradually ...

Brethan scratches his head and thinks to himself

Spoiler:
they grow ravens. Hm

...as for what the graffiti is written in

knowledge nature 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18
perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

It is .....


Male Gnome Oracle

I will also take a closer look the the graffiti to see if I can identify what is it written in (whether is is blood or not. also look for and tracks around or drag marks (though I am guess they have all been scuffed up from the crowd of people that were here)

Checks

Surival = d20+2= 18+2 = 20

Perception = d20+8= 17+8 = 25

Knowledge local = d20+7 = 4+7 = 11

will also consider casting read magic and detect magic if I can do it without the sherrif noticing.(though since it is just a big letter A I doubt it is magical at all, though can rule that out)

this graffiti reminds me of the Monty Python movie where the dying man etched into the wall Arrrrgggg (his dying groan)


Female Half-Elf Cleric/2

Lucem will wait for the priest's reply to say her piece she will just do a sense motive till then. 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9 The priest is going to be a lot harder to read than that toad out the front.


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

I take it my bluff failed?

Putting on her best smile [Diplomacy (+1): 14 +1 = 15], Koal began to walk towards the three.

“Trade Day, you say. And when might that be? I have urgent business with the Clerk. Perhaps if a sign were posted on the door, invited guests to the township wouldn’t need to ‘hang around’ wasting their time.”

Addressing the young men approaching her, "My name is Koal, and I am a guest of Kendra Lorrimar. Are either of you handsome young men, employed at this establishment? [Diplomacy (+1): 19 +1 = 20] Perhaps you can help me, or point me in the direction of the Town Clerk."

'I hope your hearing this, Archeos' Koal though to herself.

Depending how the scenario plays out, Koal will just aim to find out when is Trade Day, and the name of the Clerk. Then she will just go home.


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

If there is an Inn or Tavern nearby, or somewhere where she can keep an eye on the Town Hall, to see if the rogue gets out ok, she will go there rather than just head back to the mansion. But if it would be too obvious she is watching the building, or not really practical, she will just go home. If she runs into any of the other 'party' in town, she will apathetically let them know where the rogue is.


Ulric and Lucem

The old Pharasman priest looked deeply into Ulrics eyes, before smiling his gummy smile and wrinkling his face even moreso.

"I have heard of the Whispering Way. In fact, I am sure that every holy man in ustalav has heard of them. It is believed they were responsible for the rise of the Great Evil Tar Baphon many centuries ago. Some whisper they were the power behind the more recent Liche King as well. Now, what is this "evidence" you're talking of and how can I be sure to trust you strangers? After all, the Whisperers have been known to use subterfuge in destroying members of my church. Tell me my armoured friend, have you and this young lass come to try and kill me?"

The air became thick with tension. Neither Ulric nor Lucem could tell what the man was thinking, but Lucem knew the feel of mounting magical force when she felt it. Whatever answer they gave now, it had best be convincing or this old priest may well launch some type of magical assault on them. It was a strange response to what was a very simple statement from Ulric. Even for Ustalav, this was disturbingly paranoid behaviour.


Brethan and Malstrom

Both the little gnome and the hulking barbarian can tell almost immediately that the letter is painted in blood. AS they get close to it though, each of them feels the hair stand on the backs of their necks. Each of you needs to make a will save please

Malstrom picks up a set of tracks that seem older than the scuffs and dragmarks of this mornings crowds. His suspicions are further confirmed when he notes a small drop of blood in the footprints. They seem to lead out of twon, towards a set of farms he can see on the edges of the township.

The sheriff seems almost oblivious tao any of the clues.


Archeos

Archeos felt a sense of satisfaction as he snooped around the place. He searhced through draws and files, carefully looking for references he needed on Harrowstone. After a good ten minutes, he had found what he needed. A whole raft of documents that mentioned the place. He did'nt want to push things too far though, and turned to leave the place when he caught sight of something strange in the wall panel.

Moving over to it, his heart began to race a little. The panel was a front for a small safe. It was a simple matter for the thief to pick its lock and reach inside. A small puch of gold sat in the back, behind some folders of documents, books and legers. These must be pretty important documents to be locked away. As his hand wavered between the books and the pouch, he heard the sound of the heavy lock on the front door being undone. Someone was coming.

Well well, what will you do.


Koal

Your bluff worked. You looked exactly like someone waiting around for a person, however the old lady is treating all strangers with anger and suspicion after being intimidated yesterday.

The three locals moved rapidly up to the wizard, the men leading and the old behind them with a wicked smile on her face. Just as they were about to ask her waht business she had, the young mage spoke up.

Her words seemed to have a very positive effect on the tow men. They loked to be brothers, each of them cornfed and muscled like farmhands. Straw like hair hung rough cut above eyes that seemed to hide not much at all in terms of brain matter.

"Well little miss, me brother and I would be more n' willin' ter talk ter you about the trade day. Its a comin' in two days and our da and ma are bringin' pigs in fer the day. You like pigs little miss?"

She sighed, men were all the same, show them a little bit of interest and they imediately though you wanted to bed them.

The old womans face looked as though she had swallowed lemons though. She spat to the side and hit the closest boy across the back of the head.

"Stop thinkin' with your small head, you great ijit. These new comers is trouble I tell ye. Drive em out afore they cause more trouble than is already hapopenin' in town."

The boy rubbed his head and glared at the smaller woman. "I tell you what grammar, why don't me and Jonas just take her to ther councilor eh? She can asak him whatever is needed and you can feel happy she aint just a skulk thief watin' ter waylay old biddies like yersaelf"

Before Koal knew what had happened, she found herself being guiided away from the hall by a pair overly large lads who seemed to think she wanted their romantic attentions. Her nose wrinkled at their odour as well.Old sweat and pig swill. Charming.

Casting one last glance over her shoulder, Koal saw the the old hag walking purposefully to the caretakers shack. Apparently having the young mage escorted away wasn't enough for her. She hoped Archeos wasn't too long in there, or could hide damn well.


Male Gnome Oracle

Willpower roll, d20+4=12+4=16

If I pass the Will save I will motion to Brethan the tracks and drops of blood leading off out of town, towards a set of farms.


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2

"Calm yourself High Priest! I have done naught to disrespect you and even less to threaten you. What has unnerved you thus? Have you already been threatened over this."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (13) + 0 = 13


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

As she is being escorted, Koal will attempt to engage in conversation, specifically anything strange been happening in town, strangers coming and going, prior to the arrival of funeral guests such as her, etc.

Diplomacy (+1): 17 +1 = 18
Diplomacy (+1): 12 +1 = 13
Diplomacy (+1): 14 +1 = 15

If the conversation turns bad, she will attempt to swing the attention back to them, in a flirty way.


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

If it is going particularly well, she will ask about the whispering way, prison fire rumors etc.

Diplomacy (+1): 18 +1 = 19


Male Half-Elf Rogue / 2

Archeos quickly grabs the documents and then relocks the save (Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (6) + 12 = 18), slides back into the shaddows (Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17) and makes his way back to the window through which he came. Exiting quietly Archeos pushes the windows closed and then locks it (Disable Device: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (19) + 12 = 31).

Archeos looks aroundfor any sign of Koal (Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14). If he can see / hear Koal Archeos will approach her, if not he will assume she has made her way back to Kendra's and do like wise


Female Half Elf Wizard / 1

Ah, Koal might actually do a sense motive check first (before she engages in conversation), just to make sure she is not being escorted to her execution. Take that first diplomacy check as a sense motive please (bonus is the same).


Ulric and Lucem

For a moment, Ulric thought his words had gotten through to the priest, but then his look hardened and he spoke loudly.

"Leave here, I have duties to perform!"

The words were filled with power, and despite Lucem realising there was a magical compulsion behind it, she struggled to resist the old man's command.

DC16 will save or leave his room at a quick trot. You will know you were compelled to do so. How you react is up you.


Malstrom and Brethan

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 will save for Brethan

Both the gnome and the human feel a sickening evil seemingly emanating from the letter, but they had both experienced scarier things in thier lives than words written in blood.

Shaking off the forboding chill, they both followed the track for a ways before it seemed to disapear in the muddle of prints and horse tracks in the road way. There was no doubting that whomever had done the writing had headed towards the nearby farms though. Which one remained a mystery at this stage.


Koal

As far as Koal was concerned, the two farm boys were basically trying their hardest to get into her pants. Most likely these lads hadn't seena a woman that wasn't related in some way for a long time, and the fact that she was talking to them had left them all afluster with hope.

Try as she might to bring up information about strange events in the place, neither lad seemed able to recall any strangers in town.

"One o' the sows went an' died not long ago though. Strqangest thing too. Ma' went out to feed her and started screamin' fit ter bust. By the time Pa and us got there, she was standing there lookin' at young Betsy. The damned thing looked all hollow and shrunken like, and when we picked her up to burn the body, she weighed next to nothin'

The lad who had been referred to earlier as Lucem laughed a little "I was playin' me flute at the time, practicin' for the band on Market day. Nearly swallowed the thing me ma's screams scared me so much. Ifn you'd like, i could play fer you"?"

When they arrived at what was obviously the councilors house, the boys stopped and stared at each other for a moment, before simultaneously stating "You go get him, I'll stay here with the lady"

Both of them glared at each other, and it looked as if they might even get rough. How strange, thought Koal.


Archeos

The half elf grabbed the legers and quickly shut the safe, spinning the handle to ensure it was locked again. As he shut the paneling to hide it he heard voices in the hall downstairs. An old woman talking to a younger sounding man, maybe in his late 30's.

The rogue snuck quietly to the door and peeked down into the dimly lit hallway below. The old crone who had spat at them yesterday was walking with a middle aged fellow dressed in heavy work clothes. Looked a little like a garderner perhaps.

As they took the opportunity to look around the place, Archeos made his exit. he couldn't get out the same window, but it was a matter of seconds to open one of them from the inside and slip out onto the raised walkway at the back of the hall. He hadn't realised this entrance was here earlier, but it made sense given the offices were upstairs that they'd have thier own entrances from the outside.

Glancing around to make sure no one was watching, he slipped down the stairs and walked briskly back to Kendra's place. He didn't catch sight of the wizard girl the entire time, and cursed a little at her unreliablility as a lookout.


Male Human (Varisian) Fighter (Unbreakable) 2
Narrator Prime wrote:

Ulric and Lucem

For a moment, Ulric thought his words had gotten through to the priest, but then his look hardened and he spoke loudly.

"Leave here, I have duties to perform!"

The words were filled with power, and despite Lucem realising there was a magical compulsion behind it, she struggled to resist the old man's command.

DC16 will save or leave his room at a quick trot. You will know you were compelled to do so. How you react is up you.

Will Save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

So did he cast a spell or what?

151 to 200 of 479 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / A Crown for the Dead All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.