Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

[5E] A Darkness Gathering

Game Master Ken Marable


1 to 50 of 405 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

alea iacta est

Each of you recently received a cryptic note from Aleanor Pathsteader, an elven ranger whom you've worked with in the past. It read:

Meet me at the Sign of the Fair Warrior in Stormport, on the next new moon. Something extraordinary is happening, and you need to know about it. The ranks of the Elect are swelling.

– Aleanor Pathsteader

Stormport is a bustling mid-size free city on the edge of the northern sea; its population is mostly human, but with sizable minorities of elves, half-elves, and halflings. The Sign of the Fair Warrior is one of the city's nicer inns, owned by a heavily scarred old human veteran known as Handsome John (the nickname is presumably ironic).

You've all made your way here with one day to spare; the next new moon, when you await Aleanor, is tomorrow. The tavern area of the Fair Warrior is, as usual, filled with the hustle and bustle of people chatting and the scent of pipe smoke. The prevailing subject of discussion is the unseasonable snows the land has been having lately: after a harsh winter, the relief of spring's arrival was shut down by some cold snaps and snow flurries, and folks are worried about the farmers' crops.

You can go ahead and do some introductions, RP amongst yourselves, or just dot into the thread before we kick things off on the next day.


Female Half Orc; Init +1; Perception +4 (13); AC-17; HP 34/58 Ranger 6 (Beastmaster); ST+5, DX+3; CN+3, IN-1, WI+1, CH+0

"Now you stay hidden right there, and no playing with children. If you'really good I'll bring you back some nice smelly fish heads". Lilly patted the little creature on the head and entered the tavern.


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Maeltheron occupied a table out of direct light in the corner. He sat with his back to the wall in the Fair Warrior. The summons from Aleanor was unexpected, but not surprising. Mael sipped a glass of Elven wine, not a bad vintage, and scanned the room.

He noticed the door open and a Half-Orc walk through.

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20


alea iacta est

What are you looking for with that Perception check? Just at the other patrons, or..?


Human Male Monk 4/Rogue 2, AC16, HP 39/39, Initiative +4, Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Saves: S+3 D+7 Cn+1 I+0 W+2 Ch+0

Duncan wanders down the many alleys and backstreets of the city, keeping away from the main thoroughfares. As he travels he greets a number of acquaintances along the way; from fishwives and stevedores, to whores and thieves, he knows many of the 'little' people that make up the bulk of Stormport's population.
He chats idly with those he passes, picking up bits of gossip and information. Arriving at the 'Fair Warrior' he stays hidden in an alley across the road, watching as patrons enter and leave. He notices a familiar face among the crowd, and then another.

Can't believe she still has that 'thing' with her! Heck, if it had taken my eye I would had killed it long ago!, he thinks as he watches Lilly send the feathered lizard to the rooftops.

Waiting for Lilly to enter, Duncan wanders over and sidles into the tavern, trying to stay out of 'Handsome' John's line of sight. Last time he was here, there might have been a bit of a riot...and some things might have got broken...best to keep a low profile!

Stealth: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29

Sneaking to the back of the hall, Duncan spies Mael sitting by himself, scanning the clientele.

Probably looking for us! I really shouldn't....but...

Quietly Duncan sneaks up to where the elf is sitting and, waiting for him to look away, slides into the chair right beside him.

"Hey Mael! Whatcha looking for?", he says with a slight smile on his face


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

You, and others, I presume. Sit with me , and tell me whether you are here to see Aleanor on the morrow, as well?

I was scanning the room to get a feel for groups of individuals that I can overhear conversations from, or appear out of the ordinary.


Male Human (Kellid) Bloodrager (Primalist, Untouchable Rager) 10/VMC Ranger | HP 115 | AC 15, touch 15, FF 13 | Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +6, Perception +14

Kjell makes his way through the main streets of town, and enters the Sign of the Fair Warrior through the front doors, grinning widely and shaking off some snow from his hair, beard, and cloak. "Good to be here," he proclaims, nodding to several patrons he recognizes. The big man moves directly to the bar, where he asks Handsome John for something strong and local. Eyeing the room, Kjell sees a few familiar faces and gives them each nods, but only approaches once he's gotten his drink.

I'm not actually sure whether we know each other yet, was that decided somewhere? I know there'd been mention we could and probably might. I'm good either way.


alea iacta est

Most of the tavern's clientele don't seem different from the usual, but Maeltheron does notice a few things. First, behind the bar there are two stern dark-haired dwarven warriors. These are the Brothers Bleak-- Handsome John keeps them on as enforcers in case some kind of brawl were to break out, but they look particularly on edge today. Also you see two patrons who are sitting by themselves: a gray-bearded old human man who is muttering as he sketches something on a piece of paper, and a pale human woman who appears to be sniffling and holding back tears as she nurses her drink.

-

John nods and, in exchange for one silver piece, hands Kjell a mug of stout ale.


Human Male Monk 4/Rogue 2, AC16, HP 39/39, Initiative +4, Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Saves: S+3 D+7 Cn+1 I+0 W+2 Ch+0

Already seated, Duncan nods his head as Mael mentions their common friend.

"Yeah, I got her message too. As I owe her for...well, lets just say I owe her, I thought I better come and see what she has gotten herself into. I also saw Lilly...you remember her, the half-orc lass with the one eye and scaly lizard-bird? Anyway, she is here somewhere."

I hope Lilly and Mael do not mind that I have alluded to some common past between the 3 of us. We can work out details later if you want, or just RP it as it comes


HP 51/51 | AC 15 | S+1/D+5/C+3/I+0/W-1/C+7 | Perc +2 | Insight -1 | Darkvision | B.I. (d6) 3/4 | BRD 0/2 | WLK 2/2 | HD (d8) 6/6 | Inspiration: [ ]

Like clockwork, the door swings open to reveal the same bright-eyed young half-elf who's been arriving at this time every day for the past two weeks. As always, he addresses the room with hands in the air and a gleaming smile as he recites his standard salutation with loud enthusiasm:

"Greetings, citizens!" he almost shouts. "May the light of the noble Mordoloth bless you all!"

At this point he breaks his usual routine and approaches Handsome John. "Great news, friend!" he announces. "No longer am I between adventures! I have been summoned by an old acquaintance for a mysterious task! I do not know how long I will be kept from this fine establishment, but fear not, as the light of Mordoloth shall protect me as always. In celebration of my coming adventure, the people's drinks are on me tonight!" Taman grabs an uncounted handful of 5d10 ⇒ (6, 4, 10, 3, 3) = 26 gold pieces from his coin purse and puts them on the counter. "Serve the people as they please, for as long as that lasts!"

Taman then turns and surveys the room fondly, his face beaming as usual. Spotting the sniffling woman, he approaches her and puts a hand on her back. "Say, there, friend," he says cheerily but tenderly, "What's got you down? Can I offer any assistance on behalf of the good and noble Mordoloth?"


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Ahhhh...yes, I vaguely remember Lilly, but cannot forget the interesting animal that accompanied her. Was that her that just walked in? I did not see the creature, and as a result, failed to identify Lilly. If so, have her join us, won't you, Duncan?


Human Male Monk 4/Rogue 2, AC16, HP 39/39, Initiative +4, Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Saves: S+3 D+7 Cn+1 I+0 W+2 Ch+0

Duncan begins to make his way over to where Lilly is standing.

"Hey there Lilly, is it? Not sure if you remember me or not, but we met awhile ago with Aleanor. I assume you are here at her request as well. Come join us. Mael, you might remember him from that same meeting, is waiting just over there. Dont know who else is coming, if anyone, but we might as well make ourselves comfortable while we wait!"

He escorts the young half-orc over to the table where the moon elf is waiting.


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Hello Lilly, good to see you again. Where is your animal friend?


Female Half Orc; Init +1; Perception +4 (13); AC-17; HP 34/58 Ranger 6 (Beastmaster); ST+5, DX+3; CN+3, IN-1, WI+1, CH+0

Lilly starts at the young man's address, but then settles down a bit when she does indeed recognize the man.

"Ah yes. I remember you. Duncan right? I remember you were quite handy with your fists if my memory serves me right. Looks like fate draws us together again".

She allows herself to be led back to the table where she sees another familiar face. An elven one this time. On her way back to the table she spots a group of young men finishing up their dinner.

Hold up a minute Duncan. Pardon me young men. If you're not going to eat those leftover fish heads, might I give you a copper for them"?

She sits uncomfortably down in one of the bar's wooden chairs, and looks about the room.

I'll still never understand why we make things harder than the ground to sit upon. I would much prefer a nice soft leather cushion to these "chairs".

Then at Maeltheron's friendly inquiry. "Eyeball is hale. I've left him to fend for himself while I'm inside. He tends to assume that every scrap of leftover fish is his... and unfortunately doesn't always ask, and sometimes more than the head is left.. which has caused issues in the past. Thanks for asking though".

"I'm assuming you're both answering the same summons I am? Unless I miss my guess it's probably got something to do with that crying girl and old man over there"... though it looks like someone else has noticed their plight".


Male Human (Kellid) Bloodrager (Primalist, Untouchable Rager) 10/VMC Ranger | HP 115 | AC 15, touch 15, FF 13 | Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +6, Perception +14

Kjell glances over at the jovial half-elf who enters the tavern, and his eyes widen at the man's generosity and happiness as he approaches the barkeeper and speaks to him. Adventure with an old acquaintance? Surely he speaks of Aleanor! Grabbing his mug, Kjell stands and walks over to stand alongside the new arrival, now questioning a sad woman.

"Yes! Just as this man offers aid on behalf of his lord, I offer my assistance in the name of Thor, and of all things good and well in the world." The big man claps Taman on the shoulder and beams. "Surely four hands of light can do more to help than two!" Kjell takes a large sip of his drink and slams it on the table with a toothy grin. "Name your trouble and we'll take care of it."


alea iacta est

Upon Taman's entry, a few of the tavern's regular patrons start groaning or mumbling to themselves in annoyance, as they've heard his routine before and find his incessant cheerfulness somewhat irritating. However, the tone changes as soon as he breaks out the gold. The bar is soon swarmed with people looking to take advantage of the free drinks, and Handsome John grumbles as he starts hurriedly processing their orders.

The woman stares up at the two who are offering help, starting in surprise when Kjell's drink slams the table. Wiping her eyes, she says shakily, "Thank you sirs, though I don't know how much help you'll be. I-I just don't know what to do. My brother's gone missing and the City Watch won't help me find him-- they think I'm just h-hysterical. Oh! They just don't know how Jordan is!" She bursts into sobs.


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Mael leans in close to Lilly and Duncan,

So, who is the loud one with the deep pockets?


HP 51/51 | AC 15 | S+1/D+5/C+3/I+0/W-1/C+7 | Perc +2 | Insight -1 | Darkvision | B.I. (d6) 3/4 | BRD 0/2 | WLK 2/2 | HD (d8) 6/6 | Inspiration: [ ]

"Your brother Jordan is missing, you say?" Taman confirms, still smiling. "Not to worry!"

The young half-elf then sits next to the woman, and produces from his backpack a pen, an inkwell, and a couple of sheets of paper. His past mentors made it clear he wasn't very insightful, so he's trained a habit of taking notes to compensate.

"Now then, what do I need to know in order to find this missing Jordan?" he asks, pen at the ready.


Human Male Monk 4/Rogue 2, AC16, HP 39/39, Initiative +4, Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Saves: S+3 D+7 Cn+1 I+0 W+2 Ch+0

"I think the little one is some sort of priest or something. Been in the area for awhile now, talking about some god...can't remember what he calls it. Anyway, he has worn out his welcome in several of the taverns and inns in the area due to his incessant preaching, or so I hear. No idea who the other fellow is.

Hope you do not mind Duncan having heard of Taman from the locals. Being part of the town and keeping his ears open to the coming and goings around, I am sure he would have heard of the "crazy" priest from friends and acquaintances...


Svirfneblin Mystic 6 | Init: +2 | AC 16 | HP 38/38 | Saves: STR +0 DEX +2 CON +1 INT +3 WIS +0 CHA +1 | Perception: +3 (13) | Inspiration: [] | PsiPnts: 17/32, Focus: Third Eye

A svirfneblin strides down the street, intent on his destination and irritated by the snow. He pulls his hood tighter down and grumbles to himself, "As if water falling from the sky wasn't bad enough, we have to have cold water. Blarg." He continues on wondering why so many would bother building cities on the surface when you have to suffer such disgustingness.

Krieger Stoneheart tolerates his adopted home on the surface, but tolerance doesn't require actually liking it. He tries to distract his mind by focusing on Aleanor's message. The deep gnome is interested as much in what it didn't say as in what it did. He runs through some possible scenarios mentally until he arrives at the Sign of the Fair Warrior.

Entering the inn, Krieger spots some familiar faces.

"Oh... you." With a sigh, Krieger resigns himself to working with others and approaches the table with Duncan, Lilly, and Maeltheron.

"Not sure you recall, but the name's Krieger Stoneheart, and I imagine she summoned all of you as well, right?"

Also assuming some passing acquaintance, but probably not a strong connection, if that works. It's fine if no one recognizes him, too. Either works for me.


HP 51/51 | AC 15 | S+1/D+5/C+3/I+0/W-1/C+7 | Perc +2 | Insight -1 | Darkvision | B.I. (d6) 3/4 | BRD 0/2 | WLK 2/2 | HD (d8) 6/6 | Inspiration: [ ]
Duncan Esteros wrote:
Hope you do not mind Duncan having heard of Taman from the locals. Being part of the town and keeping his ears open to the coming and goings around, I am sure he would have heard of the "crazy" priest from friends and acquaintances...

He's only "crazy" if you know who Mordoloth is (or rather, isn't) or if you can tell the difference between a warlock and a cleric. To anyone who knows no better than to think Mordoloth is just some other god/celestial they hadn't heard of before, Taman would be merely an enthusiastic priest. ;)


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Aye, well met again, Krieger. It has been some time. And, yes, our mutual friend summoned all of us here, it appears. I do not think that she is due to arrive until the morrow, however.

It is good that I know three of the ones that I will no doubt be working with. I will not have to explain my sharp tongue, or social awkwardness to them, at least.


Male Human (Kellid) Bloodrager (Primalist, Untouchable Rager) 10/VMC Ranger | HP 115 | AC 15, touch 15, FF 13 | Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +6, Perception +14

"Agreed," Kjell says, dragging over a stool to sit by the table as well. "How is Joseph, if the Watch doesn't know?" Kjell nods as Taman prepares to write down the information they gather, giving a smile. "Good idea, neighbor. Make note of the quest so we might continue on our way regardless of if we forget. If I had a silver for each time I've lost track of an errand..." Kjell's gaze falls on the woman and he clears his throat. "Er, I'd be a very poor man indeed. You were saying, miss?"


Human Male Monk 4/Rogue 2, AC16, HP 39/39, Initiative +4, Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Saves: S+3 D+7 Cn+1 I+0 W+2 Ch+0

Was using "crazy" in the context of preaching to everyone/anyone who will listen. To a non-religious person like Duncan, this is seen as crazy..lol

Duncan looks over the gnome and remembers the last time they were together, but not overly fondly. If he remembers correctly the little man complained how everything on the "surface" was horrible and the only sane, and good place was located deep in the bowels of the earth. Oh well, Aleanor knows all sorts of people and if she trusts him, well so would Duncan.


Female Half Orc; Init +1; Perception +4 (13); AC-17; HP 34/58 Ranger 6 (Beastmaster); ST+5, DX+3; CN+3, IN-1, WI+1, CH+0
Maeltheron Timmerond wrote:

Mael leans in close to Lilly and Duncan,

So, who is the loud one with the deep pockets?

"I don't believe I know him".


Female Half Orc; Init +1; Perception +4 (13); AC-17; HP 34/58 Ranger 6 (Beastmaster); ST+5, DX+3; CN+3, IN-1, WI+1, CH+0
Krieger Stoneheart wrote:

A svirfneblin strides down the street, intent on his destination and irritated by the snow. He pulls his hood tighter down and grumbles to himself, "As if water falling from the sky wasn't bad enough, we have to have cold water. Blarg." He continues on wondering why so many would bother building cities on the surface when you have to suffer such disgustingness.

Krieger Stoneheart tolerates his adopted home on the surface, but tolerance doesn't require actually liking it. He tries to distract his mind by focusing on Aleanor's message. The deep gnome is interested as much in what it didn't say as in what it did. He runs through some possible scenarios mentally until he arrives at the Sign of the Fair Warrior.

Entering the inn, Krieger spots some familiar faces.

"Oh... you." With a sigh, Krieger resigns himself to working with others and approaches the table with Duncan, Lilly, and Maeltheron.

"Not sure you recall, but the name's Krieger Stoneheart, and I imagine she summoned all of you as well, right?"

Also assuming some passing acquaintance, but probably not a strong connection, if that works. It's fine if no one recognizes him, too. Either works for me.

"Hello Krieger".


alea iacta est

The woman seems surprised, yet grateful at Taman & Kjell's eagerness to help her. She takes a moment to calm herself and says, "My name is Johana– Johana Grethe, and my brother is Jordan Grethe, I should have said. He... he was always a bit odd, you see, Some said he was– touched in the head– but I always knew he was just... sensitive. Lately he'd been troubled by terrible dreams, oh!" She looks deeply ashamed. "A-and I was awful! I said it was nothing and he'd been eating too many stewed mushrooms! But he said he had these nightmares he was being haunted by something called a ... phthisic." She carefully enunciates the strange word. "A-and then one night his window was broken and he was just gone– vanished and no one knows anything about it and oh I should have listened to him!"

She bursts into yet another round of sobs. A few people at nearby tables give odd looks to the sight of the young half-elf diligently taking notes as the woman cries, including the older man who had been absorbed in scribbling some kind of diagrams. He gathers up his papers, still muttering something to himself, and starts heading out of the bar (passing by the table with Mael and the others as he goes).


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Mael looks at the man as he passes by, and speaks up.

Where are you headed in such a hurry?

Mael nudges Duncan and points to the man.


Human Male Monk 4/Rogue 2, AC16, HP 39/39, Initiative +4, Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Saves: S+3 D+7 Cn+1 I+0 W+2 Ch+0

Duncan sidles around the man, blocking his retreat from the bar, if needed. He also tries to get a look at the papers the fellow is carrying.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15


Male Human (Kellid) Bloodrager (Primalist, Untouchable Rager) 10/VMC Ranger | HP 115 | AC 15, touch 15, FF 13 | Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +6, Perception +14

Kjell quickly reaches out to grab the woman's shoulders, trying to comfort her. He brings her chin up to look into her eyes and offers a smile. "I understand the hardships of someone close to you being... a bit off. Hearing voices, being touched, or sensitive, as you said. There's no shame in not knowing how to deal with it." He set his jaw and his eyes then. "But like we said, we'll do all we can to help you and your brother. Just you wait!"


HP 51/51 | AC 15 | S+1/D+5/C+3/I+0/W-1/C+7 | Perc +2 | Insight -1 | Darkvision | B.I. (d6) 3/4 | BRD 0/2 | WLK 2/2 | HD (d8) 6/6 | Inspiration: [ ]

With an expression of determined focus on his face, Taman diligently records all the details, though he take a couple of tries to improvise the spelling of the haunting entity: "fish stick psoriasis fuh-THIS-ick".

"There!" the half-elf declares. "Now, Ms..."—he consults his notes—"Grethe, what does your brother Jordan look like?"


Svirfneblin Mystic 6 | Init: +2 | AC 16 | HP 38/38 | Saves: STR +0 DEX +2 CON +1 INT +3 WIS +0 CHA +1 | Perception: +3 (13) | Inspiration: [] | PsiPnts: 17/32, Focus: Third Eye

Krieger prepares to sit, but seeing the man leaving and Duncan's reaction, he remains standing.

"Yes, is the lady disturbing you?" The deep gnome studies the man to see whether he's simply annoyed with the noise or if he seems uncomfortable with whatever she was saying.

Insight: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Female Human NPC

NPCs get aliases!
also @Taman: LOL IRL at "fish-stick"

Johana manages a genuine, grateful smile as Kjell comforts her, then stands up and turns to answer Taman. "Er, he looks a lot like me; dark hair, a bit of a beard... about this tall..." she gestures in the air, and continues giving a fairly thorough description of her brother. "If you're going to search for him, I could show you his room and the broken window where he disappeared! Oh, but-- were you here to meet someone? I mean, I don't want to pull you away..."


Male Human (Kellid) Bloodrager (Primalist, Untouchable Rager) 10/VMC Ranger | HP 115 | AC 15, touch 15, FF 13 | Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +6, Perception +14

"Well, I'm here to meet someone, but that's not until tomorrow. Today, I just came in for a drink, perhaps a meal, and to see what Thor had in mind. Seems I've found that last one." Kjell releases the woman and stands, drains the last of his ale, and dashes the mug to the floor, shattering it. He pulls a gold piece from his purse and lays it on the bar as he makes for the door. "Shall we?"


alea iacta est

Duncan:
You can see that his notes are covered in what looks like mathematical equations. There are also a lot of patterns of numerous dots connected by lines (some straight and some curved).
Int check for Duncan: 1d20 ⇒ 11 To see how much you recognize what you're looking at. Hope you don't mind me making the roll for you, it saves time.
You recognize one of the patterns as a constellation you're familiar with and although you don't know what the equations mean, you guess that in general his notes are some kind of astronomical observations.

Krieger:
He seems a bit uncomfortable about the commotion, but you don't think it's because of anything specific Johana is saying, just the fact she's crying and describing hauntings and abductions and so on.

"I am-- I am on my way home," the man says to Mael, looking taken aback. "I've finished my drink, and I have important things to do. You too surely have greater concerns than when I head out of a tavern."


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Were you planning on helping the lady in distress, or not?


Female Half Orc; Init +1; Perception +4 (13); AC-17; HP 34/58 Ranger 6 (Beastmaster); ST+5, DX+3; CN+3, IN-1, WI+1, CH+0

Lilly begins to experience dizziness trying to keep up with so many things happening at once. She finally just decides to sit back down, finish her ale, and see how things evolve.

Every time I come to a city, it helps me appreciate the quiet of the ocean, or the forest.


Female Human NPC

Johana turns towards the door, nodding in assent as Taman and Kjell are following her, but then pauses as she sees out the tavern windows. The previous snow flurries have given way to a drizzling half-frozen rain and the sun is almost set as evening approaches. She frowns. "It... Perhaps it would be better t-to show you tomorrow? We'll just be caught in the rain and the cold. Oh, but you said your meeting is tomorrow... maybe you could meet up with me before, or after... oh I don't know what time you'll be done .... just, just let me know... um..." She trails off realizing she is babbling and then gives Taman a questioning look.


alea iacta est

The man continues to stare at Mael, looking puzzled and annoyed. "I have much greater concerns than chasing some mysterious monster, to help some drunk woman I've never met!"

Over at the bar the free drinks line has dissipated and Handsome John turns his attention towards you. Hearing the raised voices and the confrontation of the older man, John calls out "Everything all right over there?" and you notice his enforcers warily eying your table as well, thinking there might be some kind of fight about to break out.


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

No, no problem at all.

Oh my, I just reread the posts, and I made a major blunder. I read the initial description of the patrons as the man taking notes at the same table as the woman, but I realize now they were at separate tables by themselves. I think we need to leave this guy alone...oops.


Male Human (Kellid) Bloodrager (Primalist, Untouchable Rager) 10/VMC Ranger | HP 115 | AC 15, touch 15, FF 13 | Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +6, Perception +14

Oh, he's probably connected somehow, it's just he and our characters don't realize it yet.

"Nonsense, a little rain never hurt anyone. As long as they were careful about it." Kjell pulls some of his furs off and deftly slings them together into a makeshift sort of shawl and hood, and offers it to Johana. "If you'd like. I think I have a cloak more common to these lands in my pack, but I've found these to be better for warding off the chill. Unless you'd rather we meet tomorrow morning?"


Human Male Monk 4/Rogue 2, AC16, HP 39/39, Initiative +4, Passive Perception 15, Passive Insight 15, Saves: S+3 D+7 Cn+1 I+0 W+2 Ch+0

Duncan lets the man pass and returns to his seat. He watches the two strangers talk to the weeping woman, the larger of the two offering her his furs.

What do you think is going on there?", he asks Mael indicating the men and woman at the table.


Female Human NPC

Johana moves to touch Kjell's cloak then hesitantly pulls her hand away. "Actually... I think tomorrow might be best, yes... I, I'm not drunk, (she has sobered up a bit but is clearly still quite drunk) but I need some sleep, and well... I don't know how much you'll be able to learn from just looking at my window, it's probably better if we do this during the day."

Also I'm not clear on if the rest of you would go with these two knights in shining armor right now but I think y'all probably don't want to split up the group?


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Maeltheron looks at Duncan, then Lilly, stands and walks slowly to the woman talking with the large man. Upon reaching the group, he bows with his head and shoulders.

Well met, I am Maeltheron Timmerond, and I could not help but overhear that the two of you await the arrival of another, tomorrow, based upon a summons. Me and my companions were also summoned by a mutual friend to meet tomorrow. Might you be awaiting Aleanor?

He turns briefly to Johana.

I also heard of your plight, and if these two await the same meeting, then perhaps all of us could aid you in the search for your son?


HP 51/51 | AC 15 | S+1/D+5/C+3/I+0/W-1/C+7 | Perc +2 | Insight -1 | Darkvision | B.I. (d6) 3/4 | BRD 0/2 | WLK 2/2 | HD (d8) 6/6 | Inspiration: [ ]

Taman throws his hands upwards and beams with elation. "New friends! More help! Everybody wins!"

He gives Johana an affectionate pat on the shoulder and says, "You just get some sleep; I'm sure you've probably not had enough of it lately. Just relax and leave it to us, alright? Oh, and good job not getting drunk; that's a good show of your inner strength!" <--- Totally believed what she said.

Turning to Mael, Taman introduces himself. "I am Taman Helder, wandering cleric of Mordoloth, lord of goodness and light! And yes, I was indeed summoned by Ms. Pathsteader." He oozes excitement as he adds, "I wonder what adventures await us all tomorrow?"


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human (Kellid) Bloodrager (Primalist, Untouchable Rager) 10/VMC Ranger | HP 115 | AC 15, touch 15, FF 13 | Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +7 | Init +6, Perception +14

"Hahaha, good lass!" Kjell's laughter booms out, and he pats the woman on the shoulder. "Surely you hold your drink just fine. We'll come tomorrow morn, then, before Thor hitches his war-cart and the gods bring snow to the lands." The man still wraps his furs around Johana's shoulders and gives her an appraising look. "Now, would you like a walk home, at least? It is coming on evening, and it's mighty cold to wander alone."

Kjell turns as he hears some words from someone behind him, and then Taman's exclamation in reply. He gives Maeltheron a wide grin and extends a hand--probably blinking and then nodding to himself when the elf takes it in his own. "Aleanor, yes! A fine, strong woman, a better companion against the forces of darkness would be hard to find. Are you also a friend of hers? We must share a drink!" The big man looks for a moment almost like he's about to give Maeltheron a hug, then simply folds his arms and beams. "Surely adventure awaits if only we seek it out, and so shall we. My name is Kjell Amundsson Strongarm, chosen of Thor and a newer arrival to these fair lands. Let's share a drink tonight in the warmth of the hearth and hall, and set out tomorrow at first light to aid this woman--I'll wager we find the man before Pathsteader meets us here."


Wizard - Bladesinger/6; AC: 16 (20BS); HP: 32/32; Init: +4; Perc: +3; Bladesong Used 0/2; Spell Slots Used 1st 4/4, 2nd 2/3 3rd 0/3

Very good, then, come, and join us at our table in the corner. We can discuss the upcoming events of tomorrow over some fine drink.

Maeltheron turns and heads back to his spot in the corner with his back to the wall and awaits the others to join him at the table.


Female Half Orc; Init +1; Perception +4 (13); AC-17; HP 34/58 Ranger 6 (Beastmaster); ST+5, DX+3; CN+3, IN-1, WI+1, CH+0

Lilly watches the events unfold, still not really comfortable with crowds, but still scrounges up a smile and nod as the others join the group.

"My name is Lilly". She softly interjects as the others get acquainted.


Female Human NPC

"Thank you, Kjell, but my house is quite close by," Johana replies. "I'll met you here tomorrow morn." She accepts his offer of furs and briefly squeezes his hand, then kisses Taman on the cheek, and heads out of the bar.

I'll let you finish up any more getting-to-know-each-other RP here now if you like; just let me know when you're ready to move ahead to the next day


HP 51/51 | AC 15 | S+1/D+5/C+3/I+0/W-1/C+7 | Perc +2 | Insight -1 | Darkvision | B.I. (d6) 3/4 | BRD 0/2 | WLK 2/2 | HD (d8) 6/6 | Inspiration: [ ]

"Neat!" Taman says once Johana has left. "I got a kiss! Now then, I'd better start writing down names..." He produces a notebook and starts writing again, occasionally asking folks for repeats of their introductions.

1 to 50 of 405 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / [5E] A Darkness Gathering All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.